Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

Re: The "new" Wolf Man movie

Five more days!!! >8D

Delta Wolfman wrote:

Werewolf By Night

Good comic! I ironically downloaded a couple of them just last week! ^^

"Man is not a beast. Compared to man, beast are angels. Do they kill their own for the sake of killing?
Do they worship Satan? Man wrecks, and ravages, and calls the devil. But unlike beasts, and unlike angels...
Man can cry, and confess, and repent. Change, and begin again. GIVE THE DEVIL HELL!"

#327 2010-02-09 21:57:39

Delta Wolfman

Score is available on iTunes for 9.99.

It's awesome. Go get it.

#328 2010-02-10 15:19:58

fearless freak

its out over here in england

if you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough

#329 2010-02-10 18:44:44

The Busboy
Administrator

Link to an interview article with Rick Baker:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/01/p … red/index+(Wired:+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))&utm_content=Netvibes

#330 2010-02-10 23:49:40

Dinobat

After three years of waiting, it seems almost surreal to be so close to actually seeing the damn thing.

I really hope it lives up the the original. The Wolfman is such a classic, hopefully this one will be too.

Can't wait.

Last edited by Dinobat (2010-02-11 00:14:22)

"Sorry Colonel, I meant to shoot you. I'm not the marksman I used to be, I must be getting old."

#331 2010-02-11 01:27:45

SouthPaw

The Busboy wrote:

Link to an interview article with Rick Baker:
http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/01/p … red/index+(Wired:+Index+3+(Top+Stories+2))&utm_content=Netvibes

Busboy, thanks for the link.  That was a great slideshow after the article.

#332 2010-02-11 01:47:14

Delta Wolfman

Rober Ebert review.

He liked it a lot and gave it 2.5 out of 4 stars.

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/pbc … /100219997

#333 2010-02-11 13:17:14

The Busboy
Administrator

Tomorrow is the day!  Looking forward to hearing all your reviews afterwards.

#334 2010-02-12 06:18:06

WereWolfH

Benicio Del Torro was on The View and he's making his appearances. It's on youtube (unless they took it down). Wow he's the producer for this movie!

I'm going today (even though I had another nightmare! A wolf crawled ontop of my leg and I felt it's fur as I woke up yelling. Glad my roommates didn't call me out on it. Still can't figure out what came across my leg, perhaps it was the blanket that fell over)

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#335 2010-02-12 10:08:09

Dinobat

I'm off to see the movie. I'll give my thoughts when I come back.

"Sorry Colonel, I meant to shoot you. I'm not the marksman I used to be, I must be getting old."

#336 2010-02-12 16:49:34

The Busboy
Administrator

The movie is out today!

#337 2010-02-12 16:49:41

The Busboy
Administrator

From a topic that was closed (since this one already existed):

W0lfen wrote:

I just saw this movie in Sweden (a preview) and I was totally blown away! This movie is everything a classic monster/werewolf movie should be like: Gory, bloody, entertaining, dark and fast paced. People will say that it is rushed, but I felt that it was perfect. It had the pace of 'The Dark Knight' and it skipped the already overused parts in werewolf lore (long dialogues and meditation on how to break the werewolf curse etc.) This movie manages to break the monotony of modern horror movies where vampires tend to glitter and where werewolves look like wolves. 'The Wolfman' is an gothic, instant horror classic and will be remembered  for it's brutality and homage. I say: Go see it! Critics have panned good movies before. Examples are "An American Werewolf in London" (a movie which later turned out to be the greatest werewolf movie of all time), "Blade Runner" and "Once Upon A Time in The West". They where totally wrong. It's very noticable that this new interpretation of 'The Wolfman' is a movie from HORROR LOVERS to HORROR LOVERS. It's action filled and has great suspense.

Grade: 5/5. The best werewolf movie ever made (and yes, I have seen almost all of them).

::::: SPOILER :::::

And please, return here and tell me what you thought of the ending. I want to discuss some sequels with you werewolf lovers.

Delta Wolfman wrote:

Great review! Really excited to see it.

MikeOliveri wrote:

Glad to hear it! I'm hoping to get out to see it tomorrow night.

Minty wrote:

I saw it Tuesday.  Loads of fun, and definitely a good classic werewolf film.  A good remake, too.

***SPOILERS!!!***

What part of the ending are you referring to? The overall ending, or the detective getting bitten? Personally, I'd like to see a sequel from that crew; it'd be interesting to have a new werewolf, instead of resurrecting LCJr. every time.

SherlawkDragon wrote:

Just saw it.
I'm not saying it was bad, but the main thing in that movie was flash, and the computer animation wasn't very good for something that took more than 3 years.  I did like the pacing and all that though, it was a good telling of a decent story.  I don't watch that many werewolf movies, but I liked it.

W0lfen wrote:

@ Minty (SPOILER ALERT!!!)

Yes, I would love to see a sequel. Especially with Weaving in the lead, since he's a guy who likes rules, order and control. Now that he's infected, he will have to abandon
everything he believes in. I'd love a sequel!

SouthPaw wrote:

More spoilers:

I agree with Sherlawk.  The cg really stuck out in the film, save for some of the transformation shots that didn't involve fur growing.  But, it was a great, fun movie.  A few things I liked quite a bit:

The art direction was nicely done - they made sunny days in Blackmoor feel completely dreary.

The way Anthony Hopkins polished himself up during full moons before giving in to the beast.

The werewolf attack in the gypsy caravan and fight scene at the end both kicked ass.  The last fight did a great job showing off the werewolf suits.

#338 2010-02-12 19:01:54

WerewolfImmortal

the Making of WolfMan is on HBO!

#339 2010-02-12 19:26:00

W0lfen

Thanks BusBoy!

The movie is ******* amazing! Please, we need to support this one and push for a sequel. Only we can make it happen.

What need for the shepherd when the wolves have all gone...

#340 2010-02-12 19:36:17

Delta Wolfman

I just saw it.

It was the most BRUTAL werewolf movie I have ever seen and one of the scariest movies I've seen in years. It was an amazing ride, an amazing werewolf movie.

It was classy and gory all at the same time. Amazing actors and story(of course).

This is the werewolf movie we've been waiting for ever since American Werewolf in London. It blows MOST of the werewolf movies AWAY completely.

It harkens back to Universal's glory days and the stark horror of The Hammer films, while simultaneously updating itself AND keeping it classy in the same way.

4 stars out of 5. 9/10. All that jazz.

Now I can't wait for the DVD and the extended cut.

#341 2010-02-12 20:41:23

W0lfen

Delta Wolfman wrote:

I just saw it.

It was the most BRUTAL werewolf movie I have ever seen and one of the scariest movies I've seen in years. It was an amazing ride, an amazing werewolf movie.

It was classy and gory all at the same time. Amazing actors and story(of course).

This is the werewolf movie we've been waiting for ever since American Werewolf in London. It blows MOST of the werewolf movies AWAY completely.

It harkens back to Universal's glory days and the stark horror of The Hammer films, while simultaneously updating itself AND keeping it classy in the same way.

4 stars out of 5. 9/10. All that jazz.

Now I can't wait for the DVD and the extended cut.

I agree! What did you think of the ending? Should we fans come togheter and write something to Universal? I demand a sequel! It would be awsome to see how Abberline (a guy who loves control, boundaries and rules deals with the curse that he has got).

#342 2010-02-12 21:07:46

SouthPaw

I'd also like to see a storyline that focused on how John Talbot contracted the curse and literally tore his family apart after.  How he and Singh came to grips with the matter and devised setting up that creepy transformation shrine.  The back story was given in the film through dialog and flashback, but it seems like it could have additional material to offer.

#343 2010-02-12 21:26:12

ArcLight
Website

Man, that was fun.

Oh...and guess what I came home from the theater with....

http://img638.imageshack.us/img638/2938/wolfphone.th.jpg

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#344 2010-02-12 21:31:04

Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

this is of course gonna be ***SPOILERS*** heavy:

...I'm getting it the day it comes out on DVD! And for now I gotta go hunt down the soundtrack! Cause The Wolfman... was just AMAZING!
I couldn't find the right words to describe it if I wanted to take the time to do so.
Not a single werewolf movie is perfect though. The ending almost made me cry. Lon Chaney Jr. may have really brought the the character of Lawrence Talbot and his wolf-alter ego to life the first time, but Benicio Del Toro, was... wow. Just gotta say the Lon has competition!
Lawrence was always one of my favorite werewolves. And I'm not just talking about his wolf side, I just the human side in general!
He really made you LOVE the character!

I couldn't believe the ending though... they changed some about the original (like his own FATHER being the first Wolfman O.o ...as if how he became one himself wasn't weird enough...), why couldn't they change the ending?! Have the insane villagers kill John Talbot, and Lawrence and the woman leave town!
The gypsies did mention that there was a chance as long as there was someone who loved him. That was a pointless waste of time...
And I'm surprised the cane didn't have a bigger role. 8P
Only other 'eh' notice I can think of is... seriously?! They couldn't afford to have a real bear and elk for the scenes?! It's not like either got mutilated!!

But besides those points, it was worth EVERY PENNY! The gore was 'bloody' fantastic (my roommate who took me for purely the gore since she's not a werewolf fan loved it, so I know for SURE it was *WIN*), the acting was great, the plot... iffy. And of course, the MOST important, the wolf was AWESOME!
I was just blown away with the movement and the adaptation of the wolf from the original wolfman! And he ran on all FOURS! HEHEHEHE... awesomesauce.
And for my last bit of rambling review, on the transformation: BEST. TRANSFORMATION. EVER! My new favorite >8)

"Man is not a beast. Compared to man, beast are angels. Do they kill their own for the sake of killing?
Do they worship Satan? Man wrecks, and ravages, and calls the devil. But unlike beasts, and unlike angels...
Man can cry, and confess, and repent. Change, and begin again. GIVE THE DEVIL HELL!"

#345 2010-02-13 00:57:31

Minty

SherlawkDragon wrote:

...the computer animation wasn't very good for something that took more than 3 years.

I thought it took three years because they went through a couple directors, different scripts, the usual Hollywood song and dance.

"They flee from me, that sometime did me seek/With naked foot stalking within my chamber./Once have I seen them gentle, tame, and meek/That now are wild and do not once remember/That sometime they have put themselves in danger/To take bread at my hand; and now they range,/Busily seeking in continual change."--Thomas Wyatt, The Lover Showeth How He Is Forsaken of Such as He Sometime Enjoyed

#346 2010-02-13 01:53:43

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

The best werewolf film I have ever had the opportunity to view! big_smile

It is definitely one on my list to purchase, as the fast paced story, slight mystery, great characters, and above all amazing werewolves made it brilliant! big_smile

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#347 2010-02-13 05:10:25

W0lfen

UPDATE: Benicio Del Toro says that there might be a sequel if fans want it. So push for it! PLEASE!

Here's the interview.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=30755

#348 2010-02-13 15:54:25

alphanubilus

Sorry folks... I just saw the Wolfman, and well...

You know folks, I really don't give a rats ass about nostolgia... and personally I think suitmation werewolves need to die a horrible HORRIBLE fiery death. Rick Baker is a genius, no doubt, but he isn't a storyteller. Had Rick Baker had his way, this werewolf design would have been used in An American Werewolf in London, thankfully Landis understood a few things, that Universal apparently doesn't.

Let's start things at the beginning shall we... circa 1933... While the rest of the US was suffering from a horrific depression, Universal Studios was making a killing, by making films about killers. Bela Legosi's Dracula was toping the charts. Frankenstein had been a success. Wanting to keep the vibe going that had commissioned a few writers to create their own take of the fabled werewolf tale. Originally the script was titled Destiny, but it seemed that it was destined to never hit the screen. The truth is, just like today's remake of the "Wolfman" the studio couldn't make up its mind. The script got shelved for around 6 years. During the late 30's a then young German-Jewish screenwriter was hired to take a look at the fabled script. His name was Curt Siodmak. Curt quickly disgarded what was there, and rewrote it from the ground up to be a psycological thriller, and he entitled it, "The Wolf Man". Larry Tolbert goes back home to England. Larry Tolbert hears rumors of a murderous beast plaguing the countryside. Larry Tolbert gets bitten by said beast, as he kills it, and thus becomes the beast himself. Curt fully intended to use a real wolf, or as was readily available, the Studioes German Shepherd. He would keep the creature's identity secret until the near the end, so the audiance doesn't know if Larry is really turning into a wolf or if he is just imagining it. It was spooky, raw, and unfortunately Universal believed it was TOO scary to show, so they opted to have rewritten yet again, and bang you got the classic "Wolf Man".

Folks, the "Wolf Man" didn't due well in 1941. It was ripped apart by critics, as the beast still looked like Lon Chaney Jr., with a beard. Even today, it still doesn't make sense that Larry is attacked by a large wolf, but then turns into a manbore. This is why later sequels became sort of hammy and more for entertainment value, than anything else. The Wolf Man wasn't scary.

You see folks, the Wolf Man is based upon the 16th century werewolf. The 16th century werewolf is a serial killer, of whom assumes the guise of a wolf to commit haneous crimes. If you are to sympathise with the victim, the cursed one, you have to be able to separate the man from the beast. This is WHY Jon Landis opted against Rick Baker's original concept design for the Kessler wolf, for the four-legged beast. The final werewolf looked NOTHING like David Naughton, and so you as a member of the audiance, could love David and hate the beast, as they were two vary different characters. The ONLY thing that ties them together is the TF sequence. The reason that AWL's TF sequence remaines unbeaten is entirely connected to its context. It was not only cool, it tied David and the wolf together in one tragic combo.

This can not be said about Benicio Del Torro. The wolf still looks like Benicio with a beard. It was a design flaw back then, and it remains a design flaw now. They try to scare it up with CGI, but the fact is, that only makes its crap design even further apparent. The only really wolfy aspect to the beast is its back legs, but I just can't past that stupid mask. This is the same awkward feelings I get while watching newer ToHo Godzilla movies, where out of nowhere Godzilla goes CGI. It looks amazing until suddenly suitmation hits you in the face.

Now I know there are people out there that might prefer this type of monster, but honestly I want my werewolves to LOOK LIKE WOLVES! The werewolves of yore were WOLVES.

I know Rick Baker wanted to pay homage, but folks technology is SUPPOSE to take us forward, not backward. This Wolfman, might have been good in the mid-90's, but it feels out of place in 2010. In truth, I believe the Van Helsing werewolves, had they been in this film, instead of Van Helsing, would have done a fine job. Van Helsing's biggest flaw was that none of its creatures had any depth. The Wolfman could have given it, to those nice lovely werewolves, but alas...

You see folks had Stephen Speilburg had Rick Baker's attitude towards his dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, Stop Motion, dinosaurs would still be here today, but he opted (and wisely so) to utilize CGI for the full beast shots, and kept robotics for close ups and human interaction shots. How much cooler would the Wolfman had been, had they done so?

The story itself was okay, but nothing special...

I give it 1 1/2 paws out of 5.

#349 2010-02-13 16:09:42

Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

W0lfen wrote:

UPDATE: Benicio Del Toro says that there might be a sequel if fans want it. So push for it! PLEASE!

Here's the interview.

http://www.joblo.com/index.php?id=30755

SEQUEL NEEDS TO BE MADE!! Loving Lawrence Talbot, a remake of Wolfman Meets Frankenstein would be AWESOME for that means he'll have to come back!
...course as much as they changed the first movie I can see them taking that out... *sigh*
How do we push for a sequel though? Just buy the merchandise and all?
I know for certain I'm already going to get the soundtrack next I go shopping and of course DVD (when released).

*envies ArcLight* There was this like... eight foot tall by nine foot wide poster board thing outside the door by the vendors that I REALLY wanted to stuff up my shirt.

Last edited by Roi Doberwolf (2010-02-13 16:10:40)

#350 2010-02-13 16:51:23

Delta Wolfman

alphanubilus wrote:

Sorry folks... I just saw the Wolfman, and well...

You know folks, I really don't give a rats ass about nostolgia... and personally I think suitmation werewolves need to die a horrible HORRIBLE fiery death. Rick Baker is a genius, no doubt, but he isn't a storyteller. Had Rick Baker had his way, this werewolf design would have been used in An American Werewolf in London, thankfully Landis understood a few things, that Universal apparently doesn't.

Let's start things at the beginning shall we... circa 1933... While the rest of the US was suffering from a horrific depression, Universal Studios was making a killing, by making films about killers. Bela Legosi's Dracula was toping the charts. Frankenstein had been a success. Wanting to keep the vibe going that had commissioned a few writers to create their own take of the fabled werewolf tale. Originally the script was titled Destiny, but it seemed that it was destined to never hit the screen. The truth is, just like today's remake of the "Wolfman" the studio couldn't make up its mind. The script got shelved for around 6 years. During the late 30's a then young German-Jewish screenwriter was hired to take a look at the fabled script. His name was Curt Siodmak. Curt quickly disgarded what was there, and rewrote it from the ground up to be a psycological thriller, and he entitled it, "The Wolf Man". Larry Tolbert goes back home to England. Larry Tolbert hears rumors of a murderous beast plaguing the countryside. Larry Tolbert gets bitten by said beast, as he kills it, and thus becomes the beast himself. Curt fully intended to use a real wolf, or as was readily available, the Studioes German Shepherd. He would keep the creature's identity secret until the near the end, so the audiance doesn't know if Larry is really turning into a wolf or if he is just imagining it. It was spooky, raw, and unfortunately Universal believed it was TOO scary to show, so they opted to have rewritten yet again, and bang you got the classic "Wolf Man".

Folks, the "Wolf Man" didn't due well in 1941. It was ripped apart by critics, as the beast still looked like Lon Chaney Jr., with a beard. Even today, it still doesn't make sense that Larry is attacked by a large wolf, but then turns into a manbore. This is why later sequels became sort of hammy and more for entertainment value, than anything else. The Wolf Man wasn't scary.

You see folks, the Wolf Man is based upon the 16th century werewolf. The 16th century werewolf is a serial killer, of whom assumes the guise of a wolf to commit haneous crimes. If you are to sympathise with the victim, the cursed one, you have to be able to separate the man from the beast. This is WHY Jon Landis opted against Rick Baker's original concept design for the Kessler wolf, for the four-legged beast. The final werewolf looked NOTHING like David Naughton, and so you as a member of the audiance, could love David and hate the beast, as they were two vary different characters. The ONLY thing that ties them together is the TF sequence. The reason that AWL's TF sequence remaines unbeaten is entirely connected to its context. It was not only cool, it tied David and the wolf together in one tragic combo.

This can not be said about Benicio Del Torro. The wolf still looks like Benicio with a beard. It was a design flaw back then, and it remains a design flaw now. They try to scare it up with CGI, but the fact is, that only makes its crap design even further apparent. The only really wolfy aspect to the beast is its back legs, but I just can't past that stupid mask. This is the same awkward feelings I get while watching newer ToHo Godzilla movies, where out of nowhere Godzilla goes CGI. It looks amazing until suddenly suitmation hits you in the face.

Now I know there are people out there that might prefer this type of monster, but honestly I want my werewolves to LOOK LIKE WOLVES! The werewolves of yore were WOLVES.

I know Rick Baker wanted to pay homage, but folks technology is SUPPOSE to take us forward, not backward. This Wolfman, might have been good in the mid-90's, but it feels out of place in 2010. In truth, I believe the Van Helsing werewolves, had they been in this film, instead of Van Helsing, would have done a fine job. Van Helsing's biggest flaw was that none of its creatures had any depth. The Wolfman could have given it, to those nice lovely werewolves, but alas...

You see folks had Stephen Speilburg had Rick Baker's attitude towards his dinosaurs in Jurassic Park, Stop Motion, dinosaurs would still be here today, but he opted (and wisely so) to utilize CGI for the full beast shots, and kept robotics for close ups and human interaction shots. How much cooler would the Wolfman had been, had they done so?

The story itself was okay, but nothing special...

I give it 1 1/2 paws out of 5.

You see folks, this post, folks, misses the, folks, point of, folks, the movie.

Folks.

Board footer