The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#426 2010-03-29 10:59:27

Viergacht

Re: The "new" Wolf Man movie

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_cus … newsletter

CG Society has an interesting article on Rick Baker's regrets about how the makeup and transformations were handled. The degree of epic dumb displayed by the people behind this movie is sad . . . they were SURPRISED that the shapeshifting was going to be important? Really?!?!?

#427 2010-03-29 16:59:30

WereWolfH

Viergacht wrote:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5576&referer=newsletter

CG Society has an interesting article on Rick Baker's regrets about how the makeup and transformations were handled. The degree of epic dumb displayed by the people behind this movie is sad . . . they were SURPRISED that the shapeshifting was going to be important? Really?!?!?

I didn't think it was that important. Besides, honestly what NEW thing would they have done? The scene in the court room was my favorite transformation scene so.... I don't think that would have kept with the pacing if they'd done it with makeup and plastic bubbles.

"I got somethin' I wanna tell ya'. I'm not like other guys...

#428 2010-03-30 22:29:04

MarkOne
Website

First of all, LOVED the movie! The wolfman was savage and fierce and didn't mess around. I liked that a lot. I'd like the twist with the father and the detective on the case, but I wished they could've expanded the story more, especially with the relationship between Larry and Gwen, seemed a bit rushed to me. But other than that, I liked it a lot.

As for the transformations, I liked the courtroom transformation scene. It's about as close as we can get to a CGI/makeup merge as we can get with it not being too cheesy or too fake. The others were good as well.

And lastly, I just heard that the movie will be out on DVD and Blu-ray on JUNE 1ST!!!

Can't wait to get my copy! smile

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#429 2010-04-05 20:02:16

Roi Doberwolf
Pleasantville resident
Website

Viergacht wrote:

http://features.cgsociety.org/story_custom.php?story_id=5576&referer=newsletter

lmao, I must say, I feel sorry for Baker... being surrounded by stupid.
A good transformation scene makes for a good werewolf movie! How could they not know this?

"Man is not a beast. Compared to man, beast are angels. Do they kill their own for the sake of killing?
Do they worship Satan? Man wrecks, and ravages, and calls the devil. But unlike beasts, and unlike angels...
Man can cry, and confess, and repent. Change, and begin again. GIVE THE DEVIL HELL!"

#430 2010-04-05 20:56:02

Rogue
Lunatic

MarkOne wrote:

First of all, LOVED the movie! The wolfman was savage and fierce and didn't mess around. I liked that a lot. I'd like the twist with the father and the detective on the case, but I wished they could've expanded the story more, especially with the relationship between Larry and Gwen, seemed a bit rushed to me. But other than that, I liked it a lot.

As for the transformations, I liked the courtroom transformation scene. It's about as close as we can get to a CGI/makeup merge as we can get with it not being too cheesy or too fake. The others were good as well.

And lastly, I just heard that the movie will be out on DVD and Blu-ray on JUNE 1ST!!!

DITTO!

WARNING: IF YOU CAN'T TAKE A JOKE . . . STAY AWAY FROM ME!
"I'm not in a bad mood. I'm practically sociable."
"All I know is that it hurts like hell, and as soon as I can get off this floor I'm gonna find that bastard and kill him!"
http://running-rogue.deviantart.com/      http://www.facebook.com/supergayadventures

#431 2010-04-05 21:55:59

Canino

Rogue wrote:

MarkOne wrote:

DITTO!

[3]

"Even a man who is pure in heart and says his prayers by night, may become a wolf when the wolfbane blooms and the autumn moon is bright."

#432 2010-04-29 11:40:24

The Busboy
Administrator

This movie will be available on DVD on June 1, 2010, here's an amazon link:
http://www.amazon.com/Wolfman-Anthony-H … amp;sr=1-2

#433 2010-05-11 22:40:56

TheGhoulSchool

awesome movie, not a fan of the CGI, check out this werewolf transformation

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSm7GIIhwp0

#434 2010-05-26 23:00:35

KidWerewolf36

What's gonna be the extras on the dvd?

#435 2010-05-27 13:17:15

The Busboy
Administrator

Reminder that the DVD will be out on Tuesday!  Anyone getting it? (I know I WILL be!  LOL!)

#436 2010-05-27 13:18:03

The Busboy
Administrator

I am guessing it will be AWESOME on blu ray!

#437 2010-06-02 01:26:50

WereWolfH

this came out today or yesterday rather. No one cares?

#438 2010-06-04 16:11:00

teenwolfman

I care! Loved the gore in this thing, and thought the werewolf makeup was pretty sweet. Some nice extras on the blu ray too, I hear, including some stuff with Rick Baker: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5i0b8gSRmo4

Definitely picking this up.

#439 2010-06-04 22:28:07

alphanubilus

For me it will be a rental... I didn't like the design or the story. I read a recent article with Rick Baker and overall he was very disappointed with the whole process, as the "studio" literally destroyed any chance of pushing the limits. Of which sucks. He was sort of booted off the CGI part of the project. What is even worse, per his interview he had created 10 stages of the werewolf design, first being near human, the last being near wolf. He was hoping to push it to a 7 or 8... but the studio chose 5... All right studio people... when RICK BAKER says something... LISTEN!

#440 2010-06-04 23:01:00

SouthPaw

Yep, the Blu Ray avoids mention of the cg/makeup conflict, for obvious reasons.  Sadly, none of Rick Baker's transformation experiments were shown, though you do get to see some fantastic concept art.

There's a good chunk of material focusing on Rick Baker's makeup work, which is mainly fun to watch for all of the quirky off-camera moments ( werewolves fighting in sneakers, edible limbs, more blood, etc. ).

The cg stuff is dealt with too, and it was funny to hear them trump up the realism factor, despite missing the mark with the transformations.  I found it to be interesting though, mainly because I understood the tech they were using and enjoyed listening to the reasons for some of the decisions they made during production, even though the end result wasn't always effective.  I give them credit for the effort, though they still have a way to go before hitting the transformation realism mark.  I'm all for practical makeup werewolf fx, but watching all of this did make me wonder how Weta would do if they took a shot at a werewolf flick.

#441 2010-06-07 00:38:42

WereWolfH

okay where can I see the transformations by Rick Baker that could have been but were scrapped. (I think he had up to 7 and they used up to 5 for the film?)

Ummm did that first wolfkid not look like the Lord of the Rings dude. Forgot his name.

#442 2010-06-07 04:50:21

SouthPaw

I don't know if we'll ever see those experiments.  I was disappointed they weren't showcased.  They show a lot of random concept images and 3d model work for potential transformation approaches, but no makeup transformation tests.

#443 2010-06-11 22:48:33

WereWolfH

SouthPaw wrote:

I don't know if we'll ever see those experiments.  I was disappointed they weren't showcased.  They show a lot of random concept images and 3d model work for potential transformation approaches, but no makeup transformation tests.

I'll look online when I'm not busy. I thought I saw some pictures but if I did they weren't all that significant or up to par (my basis is on the paintings he did of Michael transitioning to the werewolf)

#444 2010-06-16 23:26:28

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

I disagree with the spambot.

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#445 2010-07-06 21:02:18

WereWolfH

SouthPaw wrote:

just looked online, the image I think from Rick just shows the Brady Bunch like block of 6 shots. No 7 and 8 bummer!

#446 2010-08-13 10:46:05

Daninsky
Website

WereWolfH wrote:

Ummm did that first wolfkid not look like the Lord of the Rings dude. Forgot his name.

Gollum, and yes! That's what I thought, too. They should have taken that out, I think it marred the overall good impression I had with the movie.

But I loved the nod to An American Werewolf. smile

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#447 2010-08-14 01:06:43

Reptile

I just watched the extended cut, and I'd very much like to know who's responsible for the theatrical version of the film. So I can punch them in the face. Hard.

The extended cut is still a massive disapointement, and it still craps all over the greatness of the original but it doesn't make me gnash my teeth in fury like the theatrical cut. There's one scene that sticks out in my mind of Sir John leering at Gwen as she walks down the stars. It's not a very long scene, but it makes me grin that crazy little psychotic grin you do when you think of something that tickles the darker side of your funny bone because you know what that evil bastard is thinking of.

And at least they got the look of the Wolfman right. I'm trying to imagine a big bouncy CGI blob of BEYOOOTIFUL MAJESTICAL WOLFYNESS in the title roll and it's making me nauseated. I think I'll summon that mental image whenever I feel the need to go into an frothing rage.

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#448 2010-08-14 01:09:11

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Reptile wrote:

And at least they got the look of the Wolfman right. I'm trying to imagine a big bouncy CGI blob of BEYOOOTIFUL MAJESTICAL WOLFYNESS in the title roll and it's making me nauseated. I think I'll summon that mental image whenever I feel the need to go into an frothing rage.

I can picture it now:

DeviantART: The Movie

Anyway, tongue, to stay on topic:
I still haven't seen it

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#449 2010-08-14 01:22:05

Reptile

Totalimmortal wrote:

Reptile wrote:

I can picture it now:

DeviantART: The Movie

Anyway, tongue, to stay on topic:
I still haven't seen it

I think they're making that. It's being called "Freeborn".

And one more thing, because now I'm thinking really deeply about the movie and it's pissing me off. As a huge Universal Horror fan, I can safely say this movie suffers from the same problem The Mummy suffered from. Namely The Mummy remake was a god damn Pg-13 action adventure film instead of a horror movie. The Wolfman 2010 isn't horror, it's a slasher flick. And that pisses me off to no end. You don't create horror by flinging cows guts on everything in sight. That's not how you do horror. Horror is tension. Horror is finding those deep primal fears in every man woman and child on earth and then poking them with a stick for a while before climaxing in some kind of orgasm of horror and whacking them. Horror is about tension, which this film lacks in favor of BIG MONSTER SMASH! BIG MONSTER HATE F*CK SOME RANDOM LOSER WITH HIS CLAWS!

As I said, the Wolfman looked great, but the design was sorely misused.

Also, Emily Blunt is freaking hot.

EDIT: Okay, now that I've taken my mood levelers I will say the movie did indeed boast some nice visuals and iconic images. The Wolfman howling atop the Gryphon, the Wolfman looking up at a London bridge, the Wolfman jumping out of the pit and the two mooks shooting each other. The werewolf fight was pretty cool, even if the whole set up was...sigh...

All in all, it made for some nice eye candy. And after sitting through certain...other werewolf films the Wolfman was a nice palate cleanser.

Last edited by Reptile (2010-08-14 01:31:25)

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#450 2010-08-14 08:45:19

Daninsky
Website

Reptile wrote:

BIG MONSTER HATE F*CK SOME RANDOM LOSER WITH HIS CLAWS!

I don't remember that scene ... 'tis surely would have brought it up to an R. smile

But seriously, I liked the movie. I think Johnston and his team had the atmosphere of classic horror pat down, and I loved that they resisted the common trend of using stupid, flashy camera tricks.
Like that CGI remake of Clash of the Titans for example (Bah, humbug!).

And yes, Emily was lovely. She really felt right at home in the movie, as if belonging in a period piece. And Sir Anthony is always a delight to watch playing bad guy.
All in all, I happened to think that the script showed an unusal restrained and almost respect for a Hollywood production. All in all, it was good entertainment in my book.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

Board footer