The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-04-10 14:07:20

Noel
Website

Doctor Who werewolf episode

The second episode of the new season of British scifi show Doctor Who, airing 22nd April on BBC1, has a plot involving a werewolf being used to attempt an assassination on Queen Victoria. More info and images here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006160298,00.html

#2 2006-04-16 04:08:28

SWAMP THING
Website

Re: Doctor Who werewolf episode

Noel wrote:

The second episode of the new season of British scifi show Doctor Who, airing 22nd April on BBC1, has a plot involving a werewolf being used to attempt an assassination on Queen Victoria. More info and images here:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2006160298,00.html

I too am a "Whovian" but I live across the pond over here in the colonies,the new series has just launched over here on the Sci-Fi Channel so it's only in the first season.
They just aired the episode where the Doctor comes face to uh "face" with the last remaining Dailek...great episode!
   Looking forward to the werewolf episode...will keep my eyes peeled for it.
                                                                   -Happy Easter , Peace cool

"Get your're stinking paws off me you DAMN DIRTY APE!"

#3 2006-04-16 15:56:05

WolfMontana

Ahh... I was worried that I had missed it here in the states, but I guess we're in the season prior to the one in the UK. Can't wait to see that episode smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#4 2006-04-16 19:32:17

MarkOne
Website

Yeah I was never much of a fan of the show. I do recall seeing a few episodes here and there when I was a kid. But this new version is starting to grow on me. Like Swamp Thing, I definitely liked that Dalek episode.

I'm very very curious about seeing the werewolf episode, especially after seeing some of the photos. I don't know about waiting till next year, so I may have to rely on a few of my online friends from across the pond to help me out, so I can get an early look.  tongue

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#5 2006-04-17 05:42:42

BlueEyesWolf

Jeepers! Cool photos of the Werewolf!

#6 2006-04-17 06:03:31

Figarou

You can see the werewolf in action here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVc3nd4m … 20werewolf

#7 2006-04-17 13:50:24

WolfMontana

Thanks for that link - that's awesome. The werewolf looks brilliant!
The Doc's looking kinda scrawny in his old age. big_smile

#8 2006-04-20 20:51:48

MarkOne
Website

Here's some behind the scenes info regarding the werewolf episode of Doctor Who:

Dave Houghton, visual effects supervisor on the BBC's SF hit series Doctor Who, told SCI FI Wire that his technicians broke ground to create a computer-generated werewolf for the upcoming second-season episode "Tooth and Claw," airing this week in the United Kingdom. "Our modelers and animators have worked on films like Harry Potter," Houghton said in an interview. "So they were very well aware of what they could achieve in the time allowed, and we planned the episode accordingly. We were in talks with [executive producer] Russell T. Davies quite early on, even before the script was written, to determine how much could be done, and what we've done is very good in terms of TV or even for film. I think our werewolf is the best creature we've done for the show so far. It's fantastic."

"Tooth and Claw" debuts on BBC1 on April 22. In it, the Doctor (David Tennant) and Rose (Billie Piper) travel back to 19th-century Scotland, where they encounter an aging Queen Victoria (Pauline Collins) en route to a local nobleman's estate, which has been taken over by a group of monks transporting a caged creature. When the werewolf emerges under a full moon, the Doctor has to uncover an ancient secret to defeat it.

"The great thing about doing a CG creature is you're obviously not mucking around with somebody on set in a costume, which takes ages, and time is something you just don't have on Doctor Who," Houghton said. "So there had to be a few ground rules. Once we got the script, our team basically animated to the script and what we thought would look good, and that really couldn't be changed. In film, a lot of noodling goes on after the fact. It gets animated, and then the producer or director comes in and changes it, so you have a lot of people giving their input, which we didn't have time to do. We had to take our cues as to what we thought was good and basically stuck to that, because we didn't have time to re-animate anything."

Houghton added: "Our werewolf was created with a new Maya [software] plug-in called Shave and a Haircut, which we used for the first time on this job, and it's worked very nicely. It all comes down to the guy who textures it, but our werewolf is very realistic. We've blown wind through it, we've thrown water on it, and it all looks rather splendid."

#9 2006-04-20 21:18:35

WolfMontana

Cooooooool smile Thanks for the info.

#10 2006-04-21 13:01:45

WolfMontana

lol

#11 2006-04-21 13:23:10

MarkOne
Website

Midnight Grey wrote:

Thanks very much for the info.

MarkOne wrote:

"...time is something you just don't have on Doctor Who," Houghton said.

I can't help but be amused by the irony here...

Haha good one. lol

#12 2006-04-23 01:19:29

SWAMP THING
Website

Now ,I'm a little confused!
               Over here in the States we are watching the first season of the new series which stars Billie Piper as Rose and David Ecclesston as the Doctor .
   In the second season currently being aired in Merry old England the doctor is being portrayed by a different actor.hmm
   What happened to Eccleston?hmm I know that over the years different actors have portrayed the Time Lord ,I'm just surprised that the role has been recast already , I thought Eccleston was doing a great job on the show.
   By the way thanks for the inside scoop on the "Tooth & Claw" episode.
The only concern I have for this new series is I hope they do not limit the doctor's adventures to earthbound travels or in the neighborhood. We're talking about a Time Lord who travels around in one of the most fantastic devices in Science Fiction...the TARDIS!
    The limits of his journeys are boundless....
                                                                             -one confused yet optomistic Yank!

Last edited by SWAMP THING (2006-04-23 01:21:14)

#13 2006-04-23 05:39:06

adom
Website

I'm not thrilled they switched actors already for season 2.  I was really happy with this actor's performance, but as long as they keep Rose as his companion I think I can survive another season.
I was always a fan of the show.  I even visited the exihibit when it was Manahattan during my childhood and saw a Dr Who display more recently at a museum in Australia. So I wasn't too surprised this show hooked me when it kept a lot of the old charm.
I was surprised when my wife started watching with me and now they're throwing a werewolf into the mix?  I fear I may be reaching the peak of my TV experience.

Don't let her out after dark!....SAVAGED.  http://www.hocfocprod.com/savaged
4 werewolves, one vampire, three stories and the hottest hostess this side of Hell.  www.hocfocprod.com/Cryingwolf

#14 2006-04-23 12:40:52

Noel
Website

Reviews + screencaps now up at : http://noel.simianzombie.com/movie_newdoctorwho.html

#15 2006-04-26 15:25:00

MarkOne
Website

Here's a clip of the werewolf transformation scene from the episode:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJaoHO4n … and%20claw

#16 2006-04-28 15:48:39

WolfMontana

Hebehbehbeh ba... *bibbles happily*

Wow, nice stuff!! big_smile *loved* the wolf looking down at his transforming claw, and the shot of the final wolf face as he looks through the bars, just before it goes to blue vision is *awesome*.

And BEST OF ALL!!! The Doctor says "That's beautiful!"! Man, I love the doc! big_smile  The expression of wonder on his face as the wolf is bursting out of the cage is just perfect. big_smile

*bounce* Thanks MarkOne smile

#17 2006-05-01 18:40:05

Lycanthrope

#18 2006-05-05 23:02:10

LunaRenee

I've been watching the new season one (or is it series one? smile ) and have thoroughly enjoyed Rose as the Doctor's companion.  And Christopher Eccleston is a "fantastic" Doctor.  I'm sorry he only decided to sign on for one series, but actors have to make the decisions they feel right for their careers.

*Using my brain's vast storehouse of trivia for good, not evil*

#19 2006-05-06 00:21:07

MarkOne
Website

Yeah I find myself liking this show with the episodes I've seen so far.

And I hear Eccleston will be playing Number 6 in the new version of "The Prisoner" that they're planning over in the UK, so it didn't take long for him to land on his feet. smile

#20 2006-05-12 12:04:12

SWAMP THING
Website

MarkOne wrote:

Yeah I find myself liking this show with the episodes I've seen so far.

And I hear Eccleston will be playing Number 6 in the new version of "The Prisoner" that they're planning over in the UK, so it didn't take long for him to land on his feet. smile

I also heard that they are planning on doing a feature film version of the Prisoner.
Eccleston would be a very good #6 ,It sucks to hear that he will not return as the doctor in seson two over here in the states but I can understand he wants to move on ...he does have a film career and other oppurtunities in the acting field.
   We just watched the "Father's Day" episode over here on the Sci-Fi channel, very well done and written episode...intelligently put together and executed!
                                                                     -bring back K-9!!! big_smile

#21 2006-05-18 21:05:28

Matt Smith

SWAMP THING wrote:

Bring back K-9!!! big_smile

You may well already know this, but in the next series K-9 IS back. He only appears in one episode, but it's an absolute corker – it also features the return of previous companion Sarah-Jane Smith, and it has a superb villain in the form of Anthony Head (Giles out of Buffy) as slimy headmaster Mr Finch.

As an avid Doctor Who fan I've been following the new shows religiously, and I'm happy to say that the current series is just as good as the last. Indeed, I'd go as far as saying that the Tenth Doctor (David Tennant) is even better than the Ninth, and I thought Christopher Eccleston was outstanding.

The werewolf episode is one of the best stories so far. Quite apart from the fact that the wolf looks miraculous, it's packed full of clever twists, contains some genuinely impressive nastiness (there's no blood or gore shown on screen, but you can certainly *hear* it during the wolf attacks) and makes cunning use of true historical facts connected with Queen Victoria, who the Doctor and Rose end up defending. And The Host (the lycanthrope's human form) is seriously creepy.

You're going to love the conclusion of the series that's currently being shown in the States, and just wait until you see the Christmas special. It's *amazingly* groovy.

#22 2006-05-18 21:36:07

WolfMontana

big_smile *cheer!*

#23 2006-08-10 21:43:45

MarkOne
Website

OK, for all of us here in the States (like me) who have yet to see the werewolf episode, I just read some news online about when we'll get to see the second season, courtesy of SciFi Wire:

SCI FI Channel and BBC Worldwide Americas announced a major licensing agreement for SCI FI to air the second season of the hit British SF series Doctor Who in the United States. The series will return to SCI FI on Sept. 29 , kicking off with a two-hour premiere that will include the "Christmas Invasion" special in which David Tennant is introduced as the 10th Time Lord.

Billie Piper returns as the Doctor's feisty young companion, Rose Tyler, and together they will travel through time and space battling new and returning aliens and monsters.

Chris Regina, vice president of programming, SCI FI Channel, said in a statement: "Our audience has clearly embraced Doctor Who, and it has delivered a significant increase in viewers in the time period. We are looking forward to keeping the momentum going with David Tennant as the new Doctor."

Executive producer and lead writer Russell T Davies said in a separate statement: "We were delighted by the first season's success in the U.S. and can promise new thrills, new laughs, new heartbreak and some terrifying new aliens in season two."

Executive-produced by Davies and Julie Gardner, the second season of Doctor Who was the most popular program on Saturday nights when it aired on BBC One in the United Kingdom to critical acclaim.

#24 2006-08-10 23:14:28

WolfMontana

smile Here's hoping they've loved the new doc as much as the old one. (... the er.. rather new old one) And lets see more werewolves!!! big_smile

#25 2006-09-20 00:08:21

MarkOne
Website

I've noticed that SCI FI has started airing promos for the second season coming up on Sept. 29th.  I checked out SCI FI's website and according to them, "Tooth and Claw", the werewolf episode all of us here in the States have been dying to see, is the second episode listed on Season 2.

So, with the season premiere being a two hour event on the 29th ("The Christmas Invasion", which introduces the New Doctor and "New Earth", which is the first episode of the second season) I believe that we'll finally get to see "Tooth and Claw" on Friday, October 6th!!! I may be off by a week or so, but I think that's the correct date.

So it won't be long now guys!!! smile

Board footer