#101 2005-12-27 16:58:26

Black Wolf

Re: "The Howling Part 1" movie forum:

aaaaaaaaaaooooooooooooo

#102 2005-12-27 18:00:04

The Busboy
Administrator

Ha, ha, yes, I think we all know now what Black Wolf's favorite movie is.

#103 2005-12-27 21:01:19

adom
Website

Black Wolf wrote:

Anyone watch "the Howling" Euro version special edition DVD?? I heard it has extra scenes and other stuff not available in the US format.

Oh, gotta go look at that.  I got some Amazon gift certificates.

Don't let her out after dark!....SAVAGED.  http://www.hocfocprod.com/savaged
4 werewolves, one vampire, three stories and the hottest hostess this side of Hell.  www.hocfocprod.com/Cryingwolf

#104 2005-12-28 06:48:37

BlueEyesWolf

The Busboy wrote:

Ha, ha, yes, I think we all know now what Black Wolf's favorite movie is.

Is it obvious with that picture by Black Wolf's (and JamieD's) user name?

#105 2005-12-28 07:43:18

JamieD

What's obvious?? ROFLMAO!!

ask not for whom the bell tolls....it tolls for thee.

#106 2005-12-28 09:03:39

The Busboy
Administrator

Yes, Black Wolf's avatar is a sign he likes that film (it's one of my favorites too).

#107 2005-12-28 15:53:05

Black Wolf

I thought I remember hearing that they were working on a remake of "the Howling".

Anyone know about this?

#108 2005-12-28 17:23:08

The Busboy
Administrator

Black Wolf wrote:

I thought I remember hearing that they were working on a remake of "the Howling".

Anyone know about this?

Maybe this will help, keep an eye on this forum at Dead Dog Comics & Entertainment Black Wolf:
http://deaddogcomics.proboards34.com/in … 1109219494

#109 2005-12-29 07:17:48

BlueEyesWolf

Another remake? The Howling? oh, great............ roll

#110 2006-01-11 17:31:17

Black Wolf

Busboy - Thanks for the info!

#111 2006-02-11 02:59:04

WolfMontana

BlueEyesWolf wrote:

Another remake? The Howling? oh, great............ roll

What's funny, is that they really did the Howling storyline twice, the first one kinda following the book and then the... think it was the fourth one, following the book pretty much exactly. BOGGLE So the 4th one was like a remake of the 1st!

What a mess they made.. %)

I really think that Freaks (6th Howling) was the only one that slightly compared to the 1st, mainly because of the very sympathetic (and cute) dude who was the werewolf. (and the cool wolf feet under the bed woohoo!)

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#112 2006-02-11 07:33:36

BlueEyesWolf

Have you seen all of The Howling movies, WolfMontana?

#113 2006-02-11 11:07:50

WolfMontana

BlueEyesWolf wrote:

I've seen all of them but the last one - New Moon Rising I think is the name?
And I haven't seen the 2nd one all the way through - I tried!! I just couldn't take it. big_smile  (maybe if I'd been a guy, I dunno big_smile

Howling I - awesome, what up with the pekinese at the end?
Howling II - o.O  meh??
Howling III - that was a joke... right? I was even living in Australia at the time dammit! It was embarrasing!!
Howling IV - zzzzzzz. but wait, it's like, exactly like the book! Incomplete dejavu - huh??
Howling V - ooooh, Powder Wolf! If I'm ever bursting through a ton of snow, I wish I could look that cool! Who needs snow machines! Not a great movie. Cool setting through. big_smile
Howling VI - Hey! Cute guy, plays the role with alot of heart, not a bad wolf (wolfy foot fetish under the bed) and hey, the bad dudes the the universal bad guy! How many movies has he been supernaturally bad in now?? And wtf did he just turn into?

I will one of these days get my hands on Howling VII smile Have you seen it?

#114 2006-02-11 14:49:36

JL_Benet
Website

Yes, I've read the books.  I can't say I liked them.  The first was full of amateurish writing.  The plot was so full of McGuffins that it literally hurt my head.  Karyn was so stupid I wanted to beat her.  What the hell kind of woman never learned to drive because her husband (or others) drove her everywhere?  I could believe a character like that in the 30's (even then it would have annoyed me), as a young woman in the late 70's, it seemed so unbelievable as to be farcical.  Oh yes, because if she could have driven, she would have left, and we wouldn't have had the big "drama."  I think it was a horrible book that was much improved when it made the move to the silver screen.  The second book wasn't any better.  The third was so bad it hurt.

#115 2006-02-11 16:58:18

WolfMontana

Just rewatched Howling VI big_smile Still think it's an okay movie, the werewolf's a bit lumpy, and I got the wolf feet under the bed thing wrong big_smile  It was him walking around as a werewolf that I loved - the walking on extended wolf paws. smile

Re, the books. I know folks who still don't have their drivers licenses now, and they're in their 30's. It's not that far fetched for me, particularly if you've lived in the city or with really good public transport. I really loved the third book, though that was ages ago. Read it at least twice. I felt alot for the young kid caught in a suddenly very violent world.

#116 2006-02-11 18:19:25

JL_Benet
Website

I know people who didn't get their licenses until they were 30 as well.  They're called New Yorkers.  Exactly, it works there because you can still get around.  In a place without public transit, I still don't see a woman not getting a license.  The only reason to make the character like that was so she could not escape.  Brandner is demeaning his readers by thinking they are stupid enough to not see that.  It the biggest McGuffin I've ever seen.

#117 2006-02-12 05:34:15

BlueEyesWolf

well, I have the first movie on DVD but I'm waiting until HOWL-oween to watch it.

#118 2006-02-12 16:58:40

WolfMontana

JL_Benet wrote:

I know people who didn't get their licenses until they were 30 as well.  They're called New Yorkers.  Exactly, it works there because you can still get around.  In a place without public transit, I still don't see a woman not getting a license.

Well, I still do wink It's been so long since I read that book though, I'll have to give it another serious read and see the exact circumstances of her 'stranding'.

JL_Benet wrote:

The only reason to make the character like that was so she could not escape.  Brandner is demeaning his readers by thinking they are stupid enough to not see that.  It the biggest McGuffin I've ever seen.

I'm sorry you were so offended by his book. smile I didn't feel all that demeaned reading it (that's probably not a word is it.. big_smile, I just got caught up in the story. Who's McGuffin? smile

#119 2006-02-12 17:45:03

JL_Benet
Website

A McGuffin is something whose sole purpose is to further the plot, even if it is totally illogical.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGuffin

#120 2006-02-13 22:53:18

Bloodfang85
The Bad Guy
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

BlueEyesWolf wrote:

I've seen all of them but the last one - New Moon Rising I think is the name?
And I haven't seen the 2nd one all the way through - I tried!! I just couldn't take it. big_smile  (maybe if I'd been a guy, I dunno big_smile

Howling I - awesome, what up with the pekinese at the end?
Howling II - o.O  meh??
Howling III - that was a joke... right? I was even living in Australia at the time dammit! It was embarrasing!!
Howling IV - zzzzzzz. but wait, it's like, exactly like the book! Incomplete dejavu - huh??
Howling V - ooooh, Powder Wolf! If I'm ever bursting through a ton of snow, I wish I could look that cool! Who needs snow machines! Not a great movie. Cool setting through. big_smile
Howling VI - Hey! Cute guy, plays the role with alot of heart, not a bad wolf (wolfy foot fetish under the bed) and hey, the bad dudes the the universal bad guy! How many movies has he been supernaturally bad in now?? And wtf did he just turn into?

I will one of these days get my hands on Howling VII smile Have you seen it?

I've seen just about all of them, and was disappointed with all except the first and another one I cant really remember. And about the pekinese at the end of Howling I, I have the special edition where they talk about it..they said they didn't want her to look "evil" like the rest of the other werewolves in the movie. It was kinda sad, they said, since she went though all that trouble, and she still had that happen to her.

If each problem I have were a grain of sand, then I would inherit a desert.

#121 2006-03-30 14:26:58

Black Wolf

Wolf Montana: good reviews on the first six Howling flicks. Here is my color on them.

Howling I - Excellent movie. Karen turning into benji? that was disappointing..lol
Howling II - What can I say? wolf smut.. lol
Howling III - No redeeming value. A waste of film..
Howling IV - Like the book, but on a shoe string budget..
Howling V - Ouch !
Howling VI - So bad its a guilty pleasure? lol

#122 2006-03-31 07:25:33

saigook
Website

"The Howling" is (in my book) the best werewolf movie ever made. The sequels are a horrible waste of time and an embarrassment to the genre.

If anyone needs a werewolf fix, there are many other B-films to wet your appetites with, such as:

Bad Moon
Waxwork
Fright Night II
The Werewolf Reborn...

The list goes on. Hell, I'd watch "Teen Wolf 2" before I'd watch "The Howling 2" again. Thank God for independent films, because Hollywood has decided on how we should view werewolves for way too long.

Oh I'm much more then that Brightboy... Much more.

#123 2006-04-23 00:41:05

SonnyFern

The thing a lot of people don't realize about the Howling is, before it came along, were-wolves were always guys with fangs and a rubber nose on their face running around with alka-seltzer foaming from thier mouths. Before The Howling, were-wolf movies were run by Paul Naschy and his ilk. The transformations were done by fade-ins, the storylines were all the same and the genre was pretty much dead.

When The Howling came out though, it completely blew away everything that came before. It transported the wolf to a modern day setting, it was smart and funny and even more so, the transformation happened right there on screen, right before our eyes (it beat American Were-Wolf In London to theaters by a couple of months).

Rob Bottin created the very concept of the effects used, and the design also, in just about every non-CG were-wolf movie you see today. They were going off wood carvings of actual old were-wolf stories, and had another design in mind before they got more money to make the full wolf effect they wanted. The result was, so far as I'm concerned, the biggest baddest were-wolf ever put on screen...bunny ears and all...I love that wolf design. When I was a kid and saw it for the first time, it had a permanent impact on me. Nobody had ever seen something so extraordinary. It changed the way people thought about were-wolves. Before then, it was all Lon Chaney Jr and I Was A Teenage Were-Wolf...after that though...were-wolves were taken seriously again.

Throughout my life whenever I drew a were-wolf (and it was a lot) I drew them with those ears...those red eyes. Over the years the design changed, becoming what is essentially going on in Cold Blooded...but it all started with The Howling.

Even to this day every were-wolf movie hopes to achieve what that movie did...to amaze audiences like that one did...but when I think about it...I can't even think of any were-wolf movie that even comes close to what The Howling did. It was so revolutionary for it's time. Granted, I think An American Were-Wolf In London is perhaps the better film, I say that with a grudge...but The Howling holds a hell of a place in my horror movie loving heart.

If you think about it, that one movie was powerful enough to support 6 terrible sequels.....

I'm not sure how well it stands the test of time, when I watch it I forget about all the other were-wolf movies and I'm there again...a kid again...watching it for the first time...

and I still think that wolf is the best ever made smile

#124 2006-05-31 15:27:18

Black Wolf

Sonnyfem - I enjoyed reading your critique of The Howling. You are right. It did revolutionize werewolf movies. Before this movie, werewolfism (lyncanthropy) was seen as a curse, which lead to the standard resist the animal nature plotline. In the Howling, we see people accepting lyncanthropy as a blessing ("the gift") and embracing its power. Yet, The Howling has some shortcomings. For example, Karen standing there while Eddie transforms into a wolf in front of her. Seriously, shouldn't she be running while he changes?? Also, Karen turning into a cute Benji at the end. ?? The excellent plotline, interesting twists and good characters make this a classic werewolf flick. Overall, a great flick, which does stand the test of time.

#125 2006-05-31 23:40:52

ArcLight
Website

Well, even Joe Dante admits the transformation kinda stops the film, but dang - it's cool. I think if someone started to do that right in front of me I wouldn't be able to move, either.

The Howling.

Yep, still the best werewolf movie out there.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

Board footer