The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2006-06-12 19:31:33

The Busboy
Administrator

Author Keri Arthur

Welcome to The Werewolf Cafe author Keri Arthur! 

Keri lives in Australia and has written numerous paranormal books in the genres of werewolves, shapeshifters and vampires.  Keri's newest book which just came out in February of this year (2006) is titled "Full Moon Rising" and it has a great catch phrase on the cover that reads "HALF VAMPIRE, HALF WEREWOLF, ALL TROUBLE..."

Just to mention the werewolf and shapeshifter books that Keri has out:

"Circle of Fire" (August 2001 - shapeshifter romance)
"Circle of Death" (July 2002 - shapeshifter romance)
"Beneath a Rising Moon" (June 2003 - werewolf romance)
"Circle of Desire" (May 2004 - shapeshifter romance)
"Beneath A Darkening Moon" (February 2005 - werewolf romance)
"Full Moon Rising" (February 2006 - dark urban fantasy with the "half vampire, half werewolf, all trouble" character I mentioned earlier)

Keri also has many vampire and urban fantasy books out too that you can check out on her website at www.keriarthur.com

Keri, welcome to The werewolf Cafe site!  Please tell us about yourself and your current projects.  One of my Friends showed me your book on tape for "Full Moon Rising" while we were at the public library this weekend, and I checked out your website and saw that you met some of the forum members on this site at the RT Convention in Daytona Beach, FL U.S.A. and that you met some authors that I have met too, very, very cool.

#2 2006-06-12 19:37:14

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Author Keri Arthur

Just wanted to let you all know that Keri is running a fun "Aussie" related contest on her site, go to this link for details: http://www.keriarthur.com/contest.html

#3 2006-06-12 20:06:42

WolfMontana

Yay! An Aussie werewolf writer! WOOT!! big_smile  Oooh... Full Moon Rising book on tape? That'd be cool smile

Welcome Keri! big_smile

... after checking out site... *DROOLS* TIM TAMS?!? *misses those badly* big_smile Nice gifts wink

Last edited by WolfMontana (2006-06-12 20:08:11)

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#4 2006-06-12 20:21:06

The Busboy
Administrator

Yes, here's the link to the audio CD at amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/073932 … oding=UTF8

#5 2006-06-13 00:26:45

kez

Hi everyone!

thanks for inviting me here smile

there's nothing much to tell about myself--spent all my life in Melbourne, and half my life writing about shapeshifters, weres and whatnot. I'm currently in the middle of edits for the three books I have coming out next year--all three sequels to full moon rising.

and yep, fmr is available on tape. There's two versions--one abridged, the other full. (but the full version is pretty expensive.)

I had a heap of tim tams with me when I went to RT this year--gave them away at signings and stuff. A very popular little biscuit smile

If you've any questions, about either my books or writing in general, fire away

#6 2006-06-13 02:55:01

OogieBoogie

No questions, just a comment: so far I own and have read "Dancing With the Devil", "Hearts in Darkness" and "Chasing the Shadows" and they were all AWESOME! I just bought a copy of "Kiss the Night Goodbye" as AS SOON as I finish with that I'm going to read "Beneath a Rising Moon" which my roommate is reading right now and so far loves it. SO GREAT to see you on this site, which I'm sure a lot of your fans are on and will be so psyched to see you on too! I do not know how so many people waste their time with the nothingness of television when there is so many really great books out there. Thanks!

Another year has passed and I'm alright.
I lick the salt from my wounds and run into the night.
Well, it's unknown why collusion goes on.
It rapes of betrayal and I'm rotting in the squalor of some.

#7 2006-06-13 10:13:06

The Busboy
Administrator

Hi Kez!  How was the RT convention?  Are you going to the Houston, Texas one next year?

#8 2006-06-13 16:47:23

JamieD

SWEET!!! I get to start reading another author!! WOOHOO!! Man I would love to go to an RT convention....guess I'll better kick my duff in gear!!  Hiya I'm JamieD. I'm a biblioholic. There is no 12 step program....I'm so screwed....big_smile

ask not for whom the bell tolls....it tolls for thee.

#9 2006-06-13 17:09:38

kez

OogieBoogie wrote:

No questions, just a comment: so far I own and have read "Dancing With the Devil", "Hearts in Darkness" and "Chasing the Shadows" and they were all AWESOME! I just bought a copy of "Kiss the Night Goodbye" as AS SOON as I finish with that I'm going to read "Beneath a Rising Moon" which my roommate is reading right now and so far loves it. !

glad you and your roommate are enjoying the books so far!

Here's a piece of useless information for you--Beneath a Rising Moon and its sequel were actually the books that gave me the idea for my dhampire series. Much of my werewolf mythology comes from those first two books smile

#10 2006-06-13 17:14:27

kez

The Busboy wrote:

Hi Kez!  How was the RT convention?  Are you going to the Houston, Texas one next year?

RT was fantastic. I've never been to one before, but they always looked like great fun, and it was.  It was a hell of a plane trip to get to daytona from melbourne, mind--we were actually flying for 24 hours, and awake for 35! But I met lots of my fav authors, chatted, did signings, and had a good time admiring the many costumes at the nightly themed dances. I'm definitely going to houston next year--and I'll be bringing tim tams for those who like that little biscuit. big_smile

#11 2006-06-13 17:17:47

kez

JamieD wrote:

SWEET!!! I get to start reading another author!! WOOHOO!! Man I would love to go to an RT convention....guess I'll better kick my duff in gear!!  Hiya I'm JamieD. I'm a biblioholic. There is no 12 step program....I'm so screwed....big_smile

Hi JamieD! Definitely try and get to RT if you can--they're a booklovers dream. Free books everywhere, everyday. I didn't get half the books I could have, and I still ended up paying $25 in excess baggage. And all the authors are there, so you can get them signed as well big_smile

#12 2006-06-13 18:21:20

The Busboy
Administrator

Sounds like a blast, so like how many authors were there? and how many different book titles did they give away?  What is your writing schedule like?  How many hours a week do you write?  Do you write during the day or night?  What is your favorite kind of subject matter in books?

#13 2006-06-13 20:54:28

kez

well, at the bookfair on saturday there would have to have been well over 200 authors sitting there and signing. And most of the major paranormal and urban fantasy authors were there all week. I couldn't even guess at the number of books being given away--everyone who registered was automatically able to pick up ten books of their choice. And there was books being given away at most of the morning mixers and many of the parties. I know people who came home with 50 or more books, most of them the latest titles. If you're a bookoholic, if was a dream

My writing schedule pretty much depends on where I am with edits. If edits come in, I drop everything and do them straight away. If I'm edit free, I write nearly every day. My goal is a 5 pages minimum, which gives me about 30 pages a week. That's roughly a book every four months. Of course, thanks to the above mentioned edits, it doesn't always work that way. This year I doubt I'll managed to finishe two books, simply because I have edits, line edits, and galley edits on three books to fit in. (Not that I'm complaining--it's a good place to be smile ) I usually write during the day, but if I haven't done my five pages for the day, I try and squeeze extra time in. I also like to write to music--the louder the better smile

fav subject matter in books? The only thing I really like is lots of action, whether it's in the stuff I'm writing or the stuff I'm reading. Otherwise, the subject matter doesn't bother me (in books I'm reading.) In books I'm writing, the subject matter is usually whatever hits my muses fancy at the time. For instance, right now, it's the loch ness monster. Most of my favourite authors tend to be mystery or horror authors (peter o'donnell, dick francis, james herbert, stephen king are my top favs) I guess that's why even some of my paranormal romances are a lot darker than most people expect. I tend not to shy away from the gruesome things

Last edited by kez (2006-06-13 20:57:40)

#14 2006-06-13 21:03:56

The Busboy
Administrator

Cool post Keri, thank you for the insight!  What are your favorite kinds of paranormal characters?  Which of your books is your favorite that has special meaning to you, and why?  Which of your character(s) is your favorite?  Do you identify with any one of your characters the most?  (you know, a character that would be the most like yourself?)  Regarding that RT Convention, it sounds unbelieveable that they give that many books away, that's so wild (JamieD would like that a lot I'm sure).  What was the total attendance number for that convention?  Was it huge?  Thousands of people?

#15 2006-06-13 23:08:03

kez

my fav kinds of paranormal characters varies depending on what I'm writing. Right now, it's werewolves that has taken the fancy of my muse, though the loch ness monster (she's a shifter, you know wink ) is fast coming another fav. Given there's no end to my wolf series in sight (barring bad sales), I can see me writing about weres for a while yet. If I'm reading other peoples books, I love shifters and weres. I'm actually not keen on a lot of the vampire fiction out there, simply because a lot of it tends to go too deep into the whole alpha male area (and I generally can't stand alpha males.) I know a lot of werewolf fiction goes into the alpha male thing too, but at least that's a little more understandable. They're half wolf after all smile

I guess my favourite characters (from my books) would have to be (a) Nikki and Micheal, simply because they were my first sale, and even today, five...six?...years down the track, I'm still getting emails saying how much people loved them. Which meant I obviously did something right there. My other favourite is Riley, because she's my breakout character. 

total number of people at RT would have been around 800. It wasn't huge, but it was great fun.

#16 2006-06-14 00:09:17

OogieBoogie

kez wrote:

well, at the bookfair on saturday there would have to have been well over 200 authors sitting there and signing. And most of the major paranormal and urban fantasy authors were there all week. I couldn't even guess at the number of books being given away--everyone who registered was automatically able to pick up ten books of their choice. And there was books being given away at most of the morning mixers and many of the parties. I know people who came home with 50 or more books, most of them the latest titles. If you're a bookoholic, if was a dream

50 or more books?! That's crazy, that's worth the trip alone! Not to mention meeting your favorite authors! I smell a roadtrip next year...Houston or bust! Also, thanks for answering all of these questions. And good questions Busboy!

Another year has passed and I'm alright.
I lick the salt from my wounds and run into the night.
Well, it's unknown why collusion goes on.
It rapes of betrayal and I'm rotting in the squalor of some.

#17 2006-06-14 16:37:07

WolfMontana

Very interesting!! Very cool - thanks for sharing! smile

#18 2006-06-14 17:39:29

JamieD

FREE!!!!???!!!! as in no moola??!!! GARK!!!! I so have to look that shindig up!! THAt is Major coolness!! I'll put my clothes in the small bag and my FREEE BOOOOKKKKKSSSS in the huge luggage!!!

I recall reading a story...one mind you ...of the loch ness. It was shown in a favorable light of course, being a friend of the hero. In fact, I was watching a discovery channel show about Nessie and Champ (the US monster) I do believe they had only one fuzzy but real photo of Nessie but not one of Champ. Of course, the eyewitnesses abound in both places with crazy cool stories about the sightings. Very interesting....I wanna read that one too when you're done writing it!!

#19 2006-06-14 17:54:19

The Busboy
Administrator

50 bookss at like $6.99 each is $349.50, and for free, WOW!

#20 2006-06-14 18:02:32

The Busboy
Administrator

kez wrote:

my fav kinds of paranormal characters varies depending on what I'm writing. Right now, it's werewolves that has taken the fancy of my muse, though the loch ness monster (she's a shifter, you know wink ) is fast coming another fav. Given there's no end to my wolf series in sight (barring bad sales), I can see me writing about weres for a while yet. If I'm reading other peoples books, I love shifters and weres. I'm actually not keen on a lot of the vampire fiction out there, simply because a lot of it tends to go too deep into the whole alpha male area (and I generally can't stand alpha males.) I know a lot of werewolf fiction goes into the alpha male thing too, but at least that's a little more understandable. They're half wolf after all smile

I guess my favourite characters (from my books) would have to be (a) Nikki and Micheal, simply because they were my first sale, and even today, five...six?...years down the track, I'm still getting emails saying how much people loved them. Which meant I obviously did something right there. My other favourite is Riley, because she's my breakout character. 

total number of people at RT would have been around 800. It wasn't huge, but it was great fun.

Cool, well I'll tell ya, you're in good company here with the fact that your muse likes werewolves right now, ha, ha, yes, good company indeed.  Do you do book signings?  Do you go on tour in Australia?  Have you ever been out and about and seen someone reading your book somewhere?  O.k., so 800 people at the convention, it seems like a fun crowd from what I know of it and the people I know of who go there.

#21 2006-06-15 09:08:02

JamieD

i'm definatly looking that up for the next time!!!

and I may even take the spawn with me....

#22 2006-06-16 16:52:04

kez

The Busboy wrote:

Do you do book signings?  Do you go on tour in Australia?  Have you ever been out and about and seen someone reading your book somewhere?  O.k., so 800 people at the convention, it seems like a fun crowd from what I know of it and the people I know of who go there.

I've had one signing. The problem is, FMR isn't actually released in Australia--only America. Bantam own world english rights, but haven't decided to publish them elsewhere yet. So, the day I can walk into a bookstore and see my book sitting there still hasn't really happened. (Even when I went to the US, the walmart store I went into didn't have it--it was a bummer). There's a few stores here in Oz that do import it, and I have had a signing in one of those. It was cool smile

And yeah, RT is lots of fun

#23 2006-06-16 16:53:12

kez

JamieD wrote:

i'm definatly looking that up for the next time!!!

and I may even take the spawn with me....

look me up if you go. I'll have tim tams big_smile

#24 2006-06-16 21:53:42

JamieD

I hate to be dumb but what is a tim tam exactly??

I was also curious...how did you go about finding a publisher?

#25 2006-06-16 23:27:20

WolfMontana

A Tim Tam is a disturbingly yummy chocolate biscuit wink Basically you have chocolate biscuits, rectangular in shape, sandwiched with chocolate in between, then coated generously in chocolate. wink  *drools*

Board footer