The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#76 2007-05-23 15:43:12

native-lycan
Website

Re: Do you believe in werewolves? If so why?

hey, guys lets keep the lycan brotherhood, and lets not get into a *hairy* situation......

I'm A True Follower Of The Ancient Ways, Which Include Believing In Ancient Spirits, Like The Spirit Of Predators Like The Wolf Or The Jaguar, This Are My Spirit Guides..... THE DARK PREDATOR WILL PREY ON YOUR SOUL, I'M THE WEREJAGUARWOLF.......GRGRRRRR!!!

#77 2007-05-23 18:36:18

The Busboy
Administrator

Topic please.

#78 2007-05-23 19:04:04

native-lycan
Website

sorry busboy!!!

I'm A True Follower Of The Ancient Ways, Which Include Believing In Ancient Spirits, Like The Spirit Of Predators Like The Wolf Or The Jaguar, This Are My Spirit Guides..... THE DARK PREDATOR WILL PREY ON YOUR SOUL, I'M THE WEREJAGUARWOLF.......GRGRRRRR!!!

#79 2007-05-23 23:33:04

The Busboy
Administrator

No problem, I just try to keep the werewolf related forums on track where I can, to help people who use this site for research.

#80 2007-05-24 21:24:12

native-lycan
Website

yes of course, like the alpha wolf in pack, now that I think about you are like alpha wolf of our pack big_smile

#81 2008-03-26 12:01:22

DarkWish17

I personally believe that werewolves and other supernaturals exist.  If you stop and think about it, in a way it does make sense.  You have people who seem to work better with animals than other and then there are some that can't go near certian animals. And because of that the animal ends up running from them or attacking them in a way of defending themselves, as if the human near them were a predetor. But *shrugs* that's my opinion.
Then there are some animals that have behavior instincs that lean tword being human or they show more intelligence than the average animal.  And people wonder why pets and animals do the things they do...honestly I don't think they want to know.

"When the Full Moon inherites the night sky, the terror is just beginning..."

#82 2008-03-29 00:37:58

Sentinel

DarkWish17 wrote:

I personally believe that werewolves and other supernaturals exist.  If you stop and think about it, in a way it does make sense.  You have people who seem to work better with animals than other and then there are some that can't go near certian animals. And because of that the animal ends up running from them or attacking them in a way of defending themselves, as if the human near them were a predetor. But *shrugs* that's my opinion.
Then there are some animals that have behavior instincs that lean tword being human or they show more intelligence than the average animal.  And people wonder why pets and animals do the things they do...honestly I don't think they want to know.

I am not trying to rebuke what you are saying, but it can be argued that animals reacting strangely can be attributed to both non-verbal clues as well as personal experience of the animal. I know a woman with a dog that hates nearly all men and people with hats because a man on the street hit it with a hat when it was young. Sometimes the reasons are much more simple.

#83 2008-03-29 13:28:51

Fuzzball
Website

I knew a horse.  She had lived with another horse who was stolen away at night by dark-haired white male rustlers.  She became leery of dark-haired white men and would not let humans get near enough to touch her after sundown.

We are all animals, my lady.  Most are to afraid to see it!
Darkness, from Legend

#84 2008-07-24 06:21:17

TheFishes

I wholly believe in werewolves. Why? My family is full of weres. On our family reunion, some of us (those who are weres) begin to change in a minor way. Such as, our eyes change color, sometimes becoming heterochromic (one eye is a different color than the other). Because of this, we are allowed to only bring the closest of our friends to this reunion, sometimes bringing in different Others. We are not a very trusting pack of animals.

I cannot save you, I can't even save myself.

#85 2008-07-24 11:30:44

Fuzzball
Website

Two-legs can be difficult to trust.

Darkness, from Legend

#86 2008-07-26 06:18:08

TheFishes

Very true, Fuzz... Especially with what is happening because of them... Poor Mother Nature...

#87 2008-07-26 09:27:55

Fuzzball
Website

I think Momma gonna give us'n's a good rightious bum-whuppin' soon.

Darkness, from Legend

#88 2008-07-27 05:42:15

TheFishes

I think she already is...

#89 2008-10-13 20:23:59

C.G.Butchart

I'm a little sceptic on the topic of them.  i've found ALOT of things that i never thought to be possible... but for three years i've looked for them, as you guys know i've been to europe in search.  Dug into lore, possible sitings and what not, but being on the trail to find one for three years with little sign, i'm beginning to believe it's just fiction.  Regardless, i; like many, am a truth seeker.  I need to find them.  For now i'm a school goer, i'll pick up the search later.
  got a real reality to tend to.  if you guys find any leads or sitings.. toss me an email wink  hahah but yeah i want to believe but i'm not sure right now... i'm agnostic

"...And so came forth the 'Howler.'  The people of the village called it a blessing of protection, I thought otherwise..."

#90 2008-10-27 17:13:48

isafos

slave2moonlight wrote:

SeanF makes a point about the world of professional science that I agree with thoroughly. The fact is, you can't "prove" something doesn't exist, only that it does. And, of course, that can be very difficult too...

Incorrect. One can not completely prove or disprove anything. No one can ever be 100% sure about these things. Basically all we have are highly educated opinions in the end. XD

It has some very vague answers, so I'll try to be as black and white as possible.

Mentally, yes. You can believe yourself to be whatever you want. Be it voluntary or involuntary. Clinical Lycanthropy also exists, where people hallucinate they're were-something.

Spiritually/Emotionally: 'Spiritual' and 'Emotional' are the same thing. Yes, you can have a strong emotional deep connection with the weirdest things. I probably have some sort of Emotional connection with my dog, who I've had for eight years.

Physically: I think there are an astounding number of people who say that they can, but I've never seen any proof whatsoever. I've also heard a lot of 'hybrid' talk, but no one has ever delved into the issue in detail. I think this one is bull until one of these 'shifting' werewolves will actually give me something to look at, because I refuse to believe it on faith alone, and I know for a fact that the human capacity for fantasy and lying is colossal. So, I'm against this one, but I'm simply waiting for some proof.
And I'm sure, if you can turn into a wolf, you can find some way of setting up a video camera beforehand.

#91 2008-10-27 23:54:40

WolfVanZandt
Website

Actually, given what we know about the universe (or our local region) there are things that can be proven - but they can be proven mathematically. for instance, the maximum speed in the universe is absolute. You can't go faster than the speed of light. There's nothing mystical about that - speed is mathematically asymptotic.

in a storm spotter's class the other night, a lady asked how long it will be before we can say, "a tornado will touch down at this spot next Tuesday at 3:35 pm." The instructor said, "a long, long time."

That's the wrong answer. The correct answer is "never". We know enough about chaos now to understand that we will never be able to make long term scientific predictions of certain phenomenon at any useful level of accuracy.

#92 2008-10-28 16:49:02

isafos

Yeah, realised my mistake there. I should have said:

"Many, many Earthly things, and that dumb God argument that Douglas adams won years ago."

#93 2008-10-28 17:49:23

Fuzzball
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

We know enough about chaos now to understand that we will never be able to make long term scientific predictions of certain phenomenon at any useful level of accuracy.

The wisest know enough to know that they don't know much at all.

Darkness, from Legend

#94 2008-10-28 21:09:30

isafos

Fuzzball wrote:

WolfVanZandt wrote:

We know enough about chaos now to understand that we will never be able to make long term scientific predictions of certain phenomenon at any useful level of accuracy.

Ergo, the Pope if a fool.

QED.

#95 2008-10-28 22:51:04

rexwolf

To the original topic - and though I've answered this elsewhere.

Do I believe in werewolves?  Sort of.

But not really.

What I believe is that a legend was born long ago.  What that original legend was, has more to do with withcraft, so to speak, than lycanthropy, full moons, etc.  My recent research has demonstrated that there might be some cause-effect relationship between the legend and witchcraft, specifically witches' sabbath events.  I still have not thought through the logic of that connection, but feel its probably a matter of misperception of magic/witchcraft.  We tend to hate what we don't understand.

So, at some point in history, I believe someone witnessed a ritual wherein a transformation took place.  Perhaps long ago, when man was closer to nature, the ability to become a wolf or other creatures was a practice mankind had knowledge of.  This is supported by nearly universal beliefs by aboriginal peoples of shapeshifting of one form or another.

Time passed, and these abilities faded, or so I believe.  And mankind, along the way, lost touch with nature - as we all know.  But where modern "werewolf" legends began is from the dark ages, the inquisition, and later years.  These stories still circulated.  Witches were initially blamed, and my research seems to demonstrate that the rise of Christianity, which signalled the fall of paganism and thus our connection with nature (gee, what am I trying to say???) lead to a significant attack on paganism, which included blaming anything misunderstood on witchcraft.  Christians associated (blamed) anything they didn't understand, anything evil, on pagans.  These beliefs brought in the stories of transformation; which developed into stories of witches turning into wolves to get to Witches' Sabbath events (also known as Pagan holidays and gatherings...)

Later, these beliefs culminated in the 1400s.  At that time, a pretty widespread infection of rye crops by ergot created a big mess, and I believe occurred coincident with a widespread famine due to food shortage.  Rye is already the "poor people's wheat", so it affected lower class types, usually more prone to superstitions.  Throw wolf-dog hybrids taking kids from villages and eating them in the mix, along with the hallucinatory effects of ergot (same as the Salem Witch Trials in America hundreds of years later), and you have a rich history that built on the already present legends of witches turning into wolves.

And enter Hollywood.

The only part of the werewolf legends I believe is even possible, are the misunderstood transformations.  Given that these beliefs are shared by many aboriginal peoples - I have to believe they have some merit to them.  I believe that such a transformation hasn't taken place in hundreds, if not thousands of years, with possible exceptions by aboriginals, including native Americans.  I also believe I can achieve such a transformation.

Does it make me a "werewolf?"

No.  They simply don't exist as we are lead to believe they do, in my opinion.

Because Wolves deserve better

#96 2008-10-28 23:55:00

WolfVanZandt
Website

Since lycanthropy is so closely associated with shamanism and share so many characteristics, I would think it more likely related to shamanism than witchcraft. In other words, the Scythians misunderstood the Neuri shamanic rituals and thought that they turned into wolves in Realtime instead of Dreamtime.

#97 2008-10-30 05:03:50

WolfMontana

Fuzzball wrote:

Indeedly doodly. smile

Uh, have I answered this? I have to justify my post... I've read The Hunt for the American Werewolf, and some interesting sightings popped up in there that got me thinking. I believe that there's alot out there that most folks never get exposed to, so of course they don't believe it. I believe that science doesn't know everything. I believe in ghosts, because I've seen a few, I believe in a wide range supernatural oddities, because of what's happened to me. But I personally don't believe a bunch of folks are running around changing into wolves such as in the movies.

I do believe in therian werewolves. I do believe that the soul exists, and it's not too far a stretch for me to believe that someone could have the soul of a wolf.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#98 2008-10-30 07:01:26

lupen the wolf

wolfvanzandt has a good point, but much of shamanism and witchcraft are so closely related the only diference is the the point of view of the people.

ego sum quis ego sum....

#99 2008-10-30 13:10:16

Fuzzball
Website

WolfMontana wrote:

I do believe that the soul exists, and it's not too far a stretch for me to believe that someone could have the soul of a wolf.

Anyone going to check out Living With The Wolfman?

Darkness, from Legend

#100 2008-10-30 21:53:16

WolfVanZandt
Website

Actually, unless they're mixed, witchcraft and shamanism are, in many ways diametrically opposed. In witchcraft, the practitioner stays in one place and uses rituals to project power out to do work. Or they send entities out top do the work for them.

Shamans may work with other entities, but they go out and do the work themselves.

The magic user is like the person that stays in a control room and does all their work by remote control. The shaman is like the guy that gets up in the morning, eats breakfast, grabs his brief case and hits the pavement.

Board footer