The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#76 2005-07-02 13:15:13

jesterpress
Website

Re: New comic "Night" by Jester Press

I probably got the name wrong from reading his forum

by the way...here's a link to the Jester Press comic art fans site with some werewolf sketches by Clay Moore

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=5881

just thought some of ya might want to see 'em

#77 2005-07-02 13:18:48

The Busboy
Administrator

Those are great pictures!

#78 2005-07-03 17:45:19

NinjaWolf

Clay Moore is something else. Very nice pics! big_smile

Silly, werewolf! Tricks are for ninjas! XD

#79 2005-07-13 10:34:32

jesterpress
Website

Comic Book Online Reviewers...crossing the line to slander

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To set this up correctly you must first realize that I have owned my own comic book store for nearly 12 years now and I worked in a store before that for about 3 years. Last year a customer of mine and I started up Jester Press to have a creative outlet and to escape the hell of daily lives.

I recently ran across a review of our NIGHT #2 ( I will withold the name of the reviewer and the site she is associated with). The reviewer was not found of our comic which is fine because everyone is entitled to their opinions. I had a few problems with the review because she claimed the art was so bad she could not get to the story. For two years I did monthly comic book reviews for a local paper so I know what a good review should be. It should be biased, open to good and bad and should above all promote the industry as a whole. How can you offer a review that doesn't get to the story. Isn't it the job of the reviewer to REVIEW the ENTIRE WORK ? Anyway, I am ranting..besides saying the artist looked like he trained at Image...which I thought was a strange back handed slap at one of the biggest publishers...the review was just a bad review which I can handle.

BUT...the review then began to ATTACK my Retail Business through discussions about my web page which allows people to find my storefront. She claimed that my storefront / webpage was nothing but a haven for fanboys and that it was not "female friendly" and then she basically just talked about how stupid my store name was and how out of date my HTML was.

THEN..in later posts she speaks about how great Heroes Con was this year and how she loves that show and how she helped out selling cards and anime and mange and blah blah blah...the strange thing here is HEROES is the main competition in town. So, I have to assume she has a personal stake in bashing my store now. That she was bashing my store, I assume without ever setting foot in it, with some seemingly personal opionions. Does this sound right ?

REGARDLESS....my storefornt retail business should NEVER have even come up in a simple comic book review. I thought this was very unproffessional and took the posting as a personal attack on my retail business. You don't like the comic. FINE. Leave it at that.

SO IN CONCLUSION my question is this...what criteria are we allowing these reviewers to operate under ? What makes them good reviewers and why should we send our copies to them. After reading my review I read several of her other reviews and it was difficult to find a book she liked..even a little. So, small press guys...BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU SEND YOUR BOOK TO. From now on before I mail out review copies I'm going to do a little research first on the reviewer.

AND THE WORST PART IS SHE HAS AN ENTIRE SECTION ON HER WEB PAGE TEACHING PEOPLE HOW TO REVIEW COMICS...IN MY MIND...SHE'S THE ONE THAT NEEDS A LESSON...IN IF NOTHING ELSE..ETHICS.

#80 2005-07-13 12:55:52

Cadre
Website

It is sad that in this day and age, people still don't know how to give critiques and criticisms unbiaslike... Agendas and political red tape still get in the way of fair and even kieled reviews.  You may even speak with a lawyer friend if you have one... could be grounds ya know.  Just a thought... slander is a terrible thing.  The comic industry is fierce enough without people that don;'t even have anything at stake putting their two cents worth in and trying to take down the foundation of comic literature... the small independent press. Don't get me wrong, one day I hope to be working with the big boys, however I know that it's the small press and indy press that helps the industry as a whole as much if not more than the big boys.  I don't forget those hwho help me, the ones that set a good example for me to follow or the fans that get me to where I need to go.  Simple as that.

Ok, I'll get off MY soap box now.  Hate that you were ripped for the wrong reasons bud.  If they didn't like the book, state why and leave it at that, thus leaving each reader to judge for themselves.

#81 2005-07-13 13:44:49

JamieD

well I liked it....the comic that is...not the mean old feminist reviewer...big_smile

ask not for whom the bell tolls....it tolls for thee.

#82 2005-07-13 14:20:46

ShawnF

Ok, I guess I'll join the fray on this from out of nowhere.. I'm a reader of the review site in question, and wanted to add a couple of things.

First of all, I do agree that the review was pretty short and could have been better. Granted, it was just a quick post to her blog instead of to the main review site, but I'm not going to defend her on the review itself. However, most of the other stuff in the post here just isn't correct.

The comment about the store site not being female-friendly was from a reader responding to the review and was not a part of the review itself. And frankly, saying someone gave a bad review because of connections to local stores is a lot closer to "slander" than giving the opinion that something "screams fanboys only". Also, the comment on the HTML being out of date was also not by the reviewer, and was a different poster than the one that made the non-female-friendly comment.

I just went to look at the site in question, and seriously... try to take those comments as constructive critism instead of as a personal attack. My first reaction was "yikes!". How do you think a lady would feel about your official logo being a combination of Leia and Monroe with huge breasts, no underwear, and nipples poking at the fabric? I mean you even have it for sale on t-shirts. Not to mention the tiled catwoman in the background with improbable breasts and clothes half torn off. I just saw the pictures of the store on the site, and it looks clean and well-lit. I just think the website could do a better job of reflecting that...

Also, I do agree with the other poster about the html seeming old. Tiled images like that make text harder to read (especially the blue text at the bottom is really hard to read), the logo seems stuck on, etc. IMO, the jesterpress website works better. I do wish there was a preview of some kind on that site, though. The sketchbook stuff and bios don't give as much of a feel as say the first 5-10 pages of the first issue would give a prospective buyer.

Lastly, you imply that she never gives good reviews, but a whole section of the site is devoted to recommendations. When I got back into comics after a long hiatus, that was one of the sites that helped me get back up to speed.

Anyway... I don't want to derail this thread completely. I haven't read the comic yet and so can't comment on it. In short, I agree that the review could have better, but I don't think it was fair to paint things in the light they were in this thread. I don't know if the two posters that commented on the store site are in your area, but I'm certainly not. I don't even know the reviewer personally except by reading her site and blog.

Obviously from reading this thread, there are people who like the comic, and I love the idea of self-publishing in general, so good luck with the comic and the store. If I see it in a shop, I'll take a look at it. But do consider changing at least that Rebel Base logo. It really is something that'd put off a lot of people...

Shawn

#83 2005-07-29 14:11:43

jesterpress
Website

NIGHT #3 is in the new previews so you can now go order it at your local comic book store !! 

On Page 306 Item # AUG053014 From JESTER PRESS
NIGHT #3

Check out our webpage for more info if you're not familliar with the series

#84 2005-07-29 14:17:05

jesterpress
Website

in response to the above post by SHAWNF....I think you missed the point in the fact that MY RETAIL store should never have come up in a simple comic book review...and ultimately the responsibility of slander falls upon the shoulder of the web page master...regardless of if she actually posted the statement or not...it's still her blog

#85 2005-08-12 12:46:12

Wolfen

Picked up Night #1. Kudos for getting the comic out. As a first outing you have room for improvement, but overall I enjoyed it. Besides you know what they say, people are critics because they failed as writers. wink

"What is the werewolf in the eyes of God? The werewolf is God's Avenger!" -Robert McCammon- "Wolf's Hour"

Comic Monsters
www.comicmonsters.com

#86 2005-08-12 13:58:58

The Busboy
Administrator

Wolfen wrote:

Picked up Night #1. Kudos for getting the comic out. As a first outing you have room for improvement, but overall I enjoyed it. Besides you know what they say, people are critics because they failed as writers. wink

I really like "Night" too, I can't wait for the 3rd one to come out (I ordered the 2nd one directly from Jester Press).

#87 2005-08-15 18:37:37

jesterpress
Website

Just wanted to let everyone know that NIGHT #1 ships from Diamond Comics this Week on Wends.  So if you haven't got your copy yet this week is a perfect time to go by and ask for it..

and thanks for the feedback wolfen...we know the books have their problems but it is our goal to make each and every issue better than the one that came before....so hopefully when you get #2 you'll see some improvement..

#88 2005-08-29 18:51:01

MarkOne
Website

Hi guys, will you be continuing to offer the latest issues of "Night" for us to order from your site? The comic book store near my home doesn't offer it yet and I'm dying to check out issue #3. Thanks.

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#89 2005-08-30 07:08:13

Cadre
Website

I have the first two at the house... wink

Hopefully, I can contribute in the art aspect sometime soon and add my own flava and experience to the fold... would anyone like to see me working with these guys in the future?  Figured I'd ask and see what kind of response I would get.

#90 2005-08-30 10:09:05

The Busboy
Administrator

That would be very cool.  "Flava" you kill me, we used to always say "flava-flav."

#91 2005-08-30 11:51:46

Cadre
Website

guess I'm showing my age then, huh? lol.. oh well... I have two saying (which ironically contradict one another to some extent)...

It's not the age but the mileage.
You are only as old as you feel.  Sadly I feel physically like an 80 year old and mentally of a 17 year old... talk about dilemmas.

#92 2005-08-30 12:37:42

MarkOne
Website

Cadre wrote:

I have the first two at the house... wink

Hopefully, I can contribute in the art aspect sometime soon and add my own flava and experience to the fold... would anyone like to see me working with these guys in the future?  Figured I'd ask and see what kind of response I would get.

Hey Cadre, I would love to see you working with those guys. And hey, I'm familiar with that word "flava", although I haven't heard it used in a sentence since the 90s ended. wink

#93 2005-08-30 12:59:22

The Busboy
Administrator

MarkOne wrote:

And hey, I'm familiar with that word "flava", although I haven't heard it used in a sentence since the 90s ended. wink

Ha, too funny!

#94 2005-08-30 13:00:01

The Busboy
Administrator

Cadre wrote:

guess I'm showing my age then, huh? lol.. oh well... I have two saying (which ironically contradict one another to some extent)...

You are only as old as you feel.  Sadly I feel physically like an 80 year old and mentally of a 17 year old... talk about dilemmas.

I hear you on all that, I'm the same way, ha, ha!

#95 2005-08-31 00:22:37

MarkOne
Website

The Busboy wrote:

Cadre wrote:

Haha, same here guys.

#96 2005-08-31 09:26:34

BlueEyesWolf

MarkOne wrote:

The Busboy wrote:

Cadre wrote:

Haha, same here guys.

me four! Oh man!

#97 2005-09-14 12:43:25

Cadre
Website

Any new word on the status of the book?

#98 2005-09-20 12:20:58

jesterpress
Website

For NIGHT #3, Buddy is wrapping up the half tones as I type...I just got a "corrected" ashcan back from a comic store customer of mine that happens to be a newspaper reporter so i thought he was the best choice to catch all the type-o's and missing commas! We absolutely have to go to print by the first week or so of october to make the Diamond shipping deadline so it's really up to buddy now as to when he wraps up those half tones...#3 is 32 pages instead of 24 for the same $2.95 so that's holding it back a little too but we're working hard to tighten it up...that's why i haven't posted much lately :-)

I'd love to see a pin-up from you Cadre...something to give to Buddy and make his ears perk up! I've spoken to him about you inking for us and we're still working on that end too, as you know...but a pin-up would be great for starters!  How's Bubba doing?  I'm really worried about this new purchasing policy Diamond has and I'm afraid that's going to make it a little tougher on us but we'll see...day by day and all that.

For Night #3 we've got a back cover by this airbruch artist by the name of Scott Rorie.  He's from Raleigh but he owned his own comic store in the Charlotte area several years ago and it's really cool to be working with him now on a comic instead of being a retail competitor so we are definately open to working with new artists...

hope that answers your questions Cadre...
as far as ordering from the website...we took down the order sheet from the webpage because Diamond had a policy that the books could not be available online..they don't want any competition....so we took it down during our appeal process and we'll probably put it back up after #3 ships but all I can do is say it's very important that you try to order the comics from your local shop...the higher the #'s the better chance Diamond will continue to carry our books! 

thanks
troy
jesterpress

Last edited by jesterpress (2005-09-20 12:22:45)

#99 2005-09-20 12:55:35

The Busboy
Administrator

Thanks for the post, can't wait for issue #3 to see how that storyline ends.

#100 2005-09-20 19:24:29

WolfVanZandt
Website

I've read Night #1 and I'll keep it on subscription for the time being. I thing some people worry too much about art in the short run. The art in this comic is a little rough but it didn't interfer with me enjoying the story and, after all, the art in Cerebus was awful to start out and look how that comic grew. Frankly, I like seeing rough comics survive because it allows me to watch them evolve.

I've seen critics tear the art in TMNT to pieces and that's just rediculous.

Board footer