The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-01-16 15:22:37

The Busboy
Administrator

Bubba The Redneck Werewolf Comic: Honorary Forum

I opened this long overdue "honorary" forum just for "Bubba The Redneck Werewolf."  There are so many members here that have a link to Bubba somehow, so I think this is truly a momentous occasion.  Long live Bubba!

#2 2005-01-16 15:24:03

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Bubba The Redneck Werewolf Comic: Honorary Forum

Let me begin by saying, I can't wait for issue #7 to come out!  I have issues #5 and #6 at home, and plan to get all other 4 back issues at Wizard World Chicago.

#3 2005-01-16 16:28:01

NinjaWolf

Busboy, if there's a chance, there are two different covers of Bubba #1: the indestrucible one with himself and Bobbi-Jo and the new one with Bubba on the toilet seat reading a comic book. big_smile

Silly, werewolf! Tricks are for ninjas! XD

#4 2005-01-16 18:16:10

slave2moonlight
Website

Found a place to host my images so I can post them here! Here's one of my quicky Bubba drawings I did after reading the fan-powered issue and deciding to put my new scanner to use.

http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u=28080EHbo&i=13706

Last edited by slave2moonlight (2005-01-16 18:43:21)

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#5 2005-01-16 18:19:42

slave2moonlight
Website

I shouldn't spoil all the surprises for the full moon, but let's just call advance viewing a forum member benefit. And, keep in mind that these were just quick, carefree sketches, not me at my best. I was sitting in bed watching Van Helsing, not at a table concentrating on each line, ha.

http://www.solisstyle.com/ims/pic.php?u=28080EHbo&i=13710

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#6 2005-01-16 23:19:46

RedStreak

slave2moonlight wrote:

And, keep in mind that these were just quick, carefree sketches, not me at my best. I was sitting in bed watching Van Helsing, not at a table concentrating on each line, ha.

Heh...I can see the VanHelsing influence in your second sketch slave. wink ...not that it's a bad thing.

If you enjoyed the fan issue this much, consider this: Mitch is already considering a second fan-based issue, and after seeing your stuff I must suggest, no, INSIST that you make an entry at the very least! big_smile

I love your Bubba-style; definetely reminds me of Bubba in his early issue, and your second sketch in particular just strikes me as particularly redneckish. smile

I WANNA SEE MORE OF YOUR STUFF!!! big_smile

"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow"
-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#7 2005-01-16 23:38:57

slave2moonlight
Website

Ha, that's actually a classic slave2moonlight werewolf. Van Helsing ripped me off! Ha. I guess that's one reason I like their werewolves so much. It's like they were right out of my sketchbook.

Glad you liked the stuff, and I do hope to submit something for the next fan issue. I desperately need to be discovered in some area or another, ha. Jimmy needs a job! Ha.

#8 2005-01-16 23:42:14

RedStreak

VanHelsing or not, I like your werewolves! smile  Your style I love!

PLEASE submit something to Mitch ASAP!  I'd love to see these kinda weres in an issue of Bubba! big_smile

-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#9 2005-01-16 23:54:14

slave2moonlight
Website

Much appreciated. Oh, in the first one you also get a peek at my type of girl, ha.

Last edited by slave2moonlight (2005-01-17 00:05:04)

#10 2005-01-17 04:29:22

BlueEyesWolf

SLAVE2MOONLIGHT! Your drawings of Bubba and Bobbi-Jo really rocks!

I liked both versions of Bubba, the cartoony one (My kind of style!) and the Val Helsing/Redneck one!

I agree with RedStreak (Imagine that! big_smile) that you should enter this year's Fan-Powered Issue contest! GO FOR IT!

#11 2005-01-17 06:22:32

NinjaWolf

I emailed Mitch about getting a submission agreement. Nice artwork! DO THE SAME!!!

#12 2005-01-17 09:14:36

The Busboy
Administrator

S2M, those pictures are great, but you already know what a fan I am of your work.
Good luck to All of you with the next fan powered issue!

#13 2005-01-17 16:42:02

NinjaWolf

Thank you! I'm burning a few brain cells myself... wink

#14 2005-01-17 16:43:39

slave2moonlight
Website

Thanks for the support, guys. I truly need to get something going. I live in a part of Texas (as far south as you can go) that's pretty much cut off from the rest of the state and country, and has no opportunities for illustrators or writers. Plus, I haven't a cent to my name right now, so I can't relocate or travel around looking for something (believe me, relocation is a major life goal for me, ha). So it would be a major blessing if I could get something like that going before my parents totally boot me out of the house, ha. My student loan bills are killing them. roll

Anywho, maybe you guys can give me some info about drawing/writing comics. I've always been a comic fan (though for me it was Star Wars and Disney for the most part, lots of Uncle Scrooge in a trunk in my bedroom), but never had any training so the details kinda throw me. For example, word balloons. Say you're the pencil artist, do you draw the word balloons? Do they put those on later over your art? Or if you're writing and illustrating a story, same basic question, do you draw the balloons and write in the words? I'm assuming that nowadays the writing is done on computer? If that's correct, are the balloons added that way too? Now, with the fan art submissions, I'm suspecting you guys just do everything youself before submitting, right? I haven't a clue on this stuff. Had to get a degree in Fine Art because the commercial art program at my college sucked, ha.

Last edited by slave2moonlight (2005-01-17 17:51:29)

#15 2005-01-17 18:16:34

Speedbump

Word balloons are a breeze in Photoshop. Just make an oval, fill with white. Then, make another layer beneath the oval and make another smaller white oval and use the oval marquee tool to delete parts of that bottom layer until you have a nice bubble tail. Finally, merge those two layers together and apply a layer effect "Stroke" (set to black, 2 pixels width). Simple as that.

I suspect most comic art is done first, with bubbles added later. But a few online webcomic artists (8-bit Theatre, VG Cats) do their text bubbles first, then layout the artwork around it. I guess just pick which is more comfortable for you and run with it.

On another note, how far are you away from McAllen, TX?

#16 2005-01-17 18:37:25

RedStreak

slave2moonlight wrote:

Thanks for the support, guys. I truly need to get something going. I live in a part of Texas (as far south as you can go) that's pretty much cut off from the rest of the state and country, and has no opportunities for illustrators or writers.

Anywho, maybe you guys can give me some info about drawing/writing comics. I've always been a comic fan (though for me it was Star Wars and Disney for the most part, lots of Uncle Scrooge in a trunk in my bedroom), but never had any training so the details kinda throw me.

*giant grin* big_smile

Slave2moonlight, you might want to have a nice chat with Cadre about the Cadre Corner regarding that "get something going" part.  I have some stuff going on with the Corner already. wink

Again I must say you already have the makings of a great comic artist, much as others have said I have the making of a great comic writer. big_smile

*senses raised eyebrows and glared eyes at him*

Okay, okay...maybe there's just a touch of my ego added into that last statement.... roll

-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#17 2005-01-17 18:57:52

The Busboy
Administrator

S2M, there is no doubt in my mind you can do it, you just need to catch a break.

#18 2005-01-17 20:30:01

slave2moonlight
Website

Speedbump wrote:

Word balloons are a breeze in Photoshop. Just make an oval, fill with white. Then, make another layer beneath the oval and make another smaller white oval and use the oval marquee tool to delete parts of that bottom layer until you have a nice bubble tail. Finally, merge those two layers together and apply a layer effect "Stroke" (set to black, 2 pixels width). Simple as that.

I suspect most comic art is done first, with bubbles added later. But a few online webcomic artists (8-bit Theatre, VG Cats) do their text bubbles first, then layout the artwork around it. I guess just pick which is more comfortable for you and run with it.

On another note, how far are you away from McAllen, TX?

Hey Speedy, I'm actually IN McAllen, TX. Yeah, Photoshop is an awesome program, but I don't have it. All I have right now are the cheezy programs that came with the computer, and the one that came with my scanner. I was just wondering how they usually do it in the industry. Wondering what they'd expect if I were to send something in. Don't want to look TOO clueless.

Last edited by slave2moonlight (2005-01-17 20:30:45)

#19 2005-01-17 20:38:43

NinjaWolf

One of these days, I'm going to get a scanner with a combined Photoshop program inside that'll work for my Windows XP for present more stuff than going to Kinko's every time - hopefully, until my birthday comes! I DEMAND IT!!!! :x

Speaking of word balloons, I think I may need some advice about a project me and Blue are doing...

Last edited by NinjaWolf (2005-01-17 20:41:49)

#20 2005-01-17 22:15:23

Speedbump

S2M: Rockin'... so having "Lycan Rising" practically shooting on your doorstep will be a great help for you to get your foot in the door without being able to relocate. You should apply for a technical position in addition to auditioning so you can milk as much expertise as possible out of the experience.

Ninja: Ask away. Photoshop is my forte' and I'd be more than happy to assist in any way.

#21 2005-01-17 22:22:52

NinjaWolf

Well, Speedbump, it's not like a Photoshop question, but I pretty much have an idea what to do in my situation, so never mind. wink If I need any help, I'll ask and I appreciate the help from you. big_smile

#22 2005-01-17 22:23:43

slave2moonlight
Website

Yes, well, I've been waiting to hear back about the storyboard artist position...no word yet though. I also let them know that I'd be willing to take any position I could get. Heck, I need some kind of job, ha. So yeah, I'm sorta trying to get in at both ends.

#23 2005-01-17 23:46:46

Cadre
Website

Regarding Lettering and word balloons... I have found that in order to get the best editing, customizeable and efficient way to do lettering is doing the lettering and balloons in Adobe Illustrator... import picture file into or simply open a picture file in Illustrator... create lettering and then make the word balloons to best fit situation.

There are tricks to do different types of balloons and most can be found right here on the web.  wink

s2m:  I'm gonna send you a sample script and see what you do with it... I'd really like to see more of what you have to show.

#24 2005-01-17 23:56:14

RedStreak

Cadre wrote:

s2m:  I'm gonna send you a sample script and see what you do with it... I'd really like to see more of what you have to show.

*Cadre in his office* Now which script should I send to slave to try-out? Hmmmm...

*suddenly one of the doors to Cadre's file cabinet flies open with RedStrea's head poking out w/ a wide smile and a paw-ful of completed comic scripts*

*RedStreak* HERE!  HERE!  I HAVE SCRIPTS!!  TONS OF SCRIPTS!! big_smile  Huh?  What the?.... NO WAIT!! NO!!  NO!!

*Cadre casually closes the file door right back up - only the corner of one of Red's scripts is visible as the door rattles a bit*

*Cadre, rolling eyes and sighing w/ a slight smirk* Another buisness-day-as-usual at the Cadre Corner....

*RedStreak, from inside cabinet* Can I at least be allowed to go to the bathroom? sad

-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#25 2005-01-17 23:57:33

slave2moonlight
Website

Okay. Ha, keep in mind that I've never done this before. Least not seriously and not in years. I'll put my best paw forward.

Board footer