The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-10-07 02:26:58

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Book Report on Blood and Chocolate, by Annette Curtis Klause

Oooooookay, here we go. In response to a very enjoyable off-site discussion with niktoma, I'm creating this topic. More will follow as we get to finish other Werewolf related novels. This topic is for Blood and Chocolate, by Annette Curtis Klause.

Please remember that this Topic is meant to discuss the intricacies of the novel. It's meant to discuss the characters, plot points, writing style, description of the creatures and their behavior, etc. as the book stands alone. You can make comparisons to the movie by the same name if you wish, but just keep in mind that the main purpose here is to discuss the book.

I guess I'll go first.

I picked up this book at the local library and did not think too much of the fact that it was in the Young Adult section. However, it’s well-placed. It centers on young adults still in high-school. The story focused on a young girl, Vivian, trying to define her place in the world. Her world is divided in a hidden community that she has known all her life (wolf-kind), and the rest of the world that she has been taught to stay away from as much as possible (human-kind). Then, she gets a taste of that forbidden fruit and, like many teenagers, relishes the difference from what she is used to in the spirit of rebellion and/or experimentation.

The turmoil between her desires and her expectations is described well enough so that even older ones like me can relate (I was there once). The dysfunctionality in her extended family due to repeated traumatic events is understandable, and would cause frustration, which is well depicted. That being said, I'm still not convinced that Vivian has to slam every door she walks though. There are a lot of slammed doors by Vivian in this book.

The descriptions of the environment are enough to help the reader paint a general idea in their mind of the surroundings. Perhaps there could be more, but I found the amount in this book appealing, as it submitted in rank to the storyline itself.

The descriptions of the creature are few and far between. As a writer myself, I can understand how difficult it is to find the right amount. There are a few transformation scenes that are poetically described, not simply telling the reader what part of her body is changing or expanding, but describing the sounds, pains and awkwardness that the transformation was bringing about.

The main challenge I have with the book is that the author doesn't seem to know if she wants her creatures to be menacing monsters, or misunderstood creatures to be sympathized. Their law says they cannot hunt and kill humans, but Vivian remembers the pack picking off a few lonely backpackers and loving it. Some werewolves are tortured by fear of not being able to control their love of killing, and others revel in it. Two werewolf buddies are fighting each other during a ritual, and one of them outright slaughters the other like he can't control himself. The others egg him on.

NOTE: if any of you have read my post in the "Are Werewolves inherently evil?" topic, you can probably guess how much all of that got under my fur.

For a boy with such intellect and curiosity about unknown things, Aiden's reactions are disappointingly stereotypical. However, in other ways he’s the opposite. Every time he gets close to becoming intimate with Vivian, something happens that makes her run away from him. For a teenage boy filled with hormones, he didn’t seem to mind being repeatedly denied at all, which is very atypical. By the end of the book, I wasn’t sure what to think of him.

The character of Gabriel turned out to be my favourite. He knew what was going on by watching the events around him. He was thoughtful, understanding, but still firm and protective, watching over those in his pack. He put Vivian in her place tenderly or strictly, whichever the situation called for, and he did it properly. He wasn’t a figurehead, but a leader through and through. He was a well-depicted Alpha male.

The story was very enjoyable. It had a little mystery in the latter half, which was a bit easy to predict, but the outcome of the characters was unexpected and did not follow the ‘happy ever after’ formula. It was very revitalizing to read a story without the same old ending, where everybody’s happy and gets what they were after.

In conclusion, I enjoyed the book. It might have been a little heavy in the emphasis on teenage mating rituals or whatever, but the mental and emotional conflicts were well thought out for the circumstances of the characters.

I’d give it a strong howl.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-21 15:53:35)

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#2 2007-10-08 13:27:29

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Re: Book Report on Blood and Chocolate, by Annette Curtis Klause

So, I've just finished this one, and I have t osay it wasn't bad.  It's definitely geared towards a younger audience, and I may have enjoyed it more if I had discovered it several years ago.

The writing style was vivid and clear, filled with imagery and detailed descriptions.  This was definitely the novel's strong point.  Despite these details, I found myself confused somewhat by the sheer number of characters.  Certainly, the main four or five were easy to keep track of, but the others actually made me feel a bit crowded and impatient, somewhat annoyed that I couldn't keep them all straight in my head.

The characters, for the most part, were fairly interesting.  I'm not a huge fan of the sort of 'villains' that are in this novel, but in a book about werewolves, is it truly fair to ask for 'humanization' of characters?  Evil for Evil's sake works for Saturday Morning Cartoons, and even Revenge of a Jilted Lover gets old after a while.  It was refreshing to read about a talented, fiercely independed teenage girl, even if she does momentarily lapse into cliche.

I was also vaguely uncomfortable at references to what we would call condoned statutory rape.

What I found most fascinating, however, were the scattered references to werewolf culture.  The Law, as it is called, is given quite a bit of attention, and although it is not always followed, it provides insight into the workings of the character's society.  Mentions of a werewolf creation myth, werewolf 'kingdoms', even the mechanics of why silver kills a werewolf, gives the story the feel of a nice solid weight behind it, firmly anchored in the past.

With a plot achingly similar to many books I have read in the past, the author is hardly breaking new ground.  What she does do, however, is provide an amazingly detailed snapshot of what life might be like in a modern American werewolf society, and that alone was worth the time I spent reading it.

One final thing, even though I know we aren't supposed to discuss the movie.  I haven't seen it, but I've watched the previews, and it doesn't seem to be related, in any way, shape, or form, to the novel I've recently finished.  It's a shame, because I feel that this story might have made an interesting for-TV movie or something.

'OK, how about werewolves?' said the voice eventually.
'What do they look like?' asked the kid.
'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#3 2007-10-08 18:11:09

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

It's interesting that you should bring up the point on Werewolf culture, niktoma. It really did enrich the society of the creatures and how they individually learned to cope in that society. It's something that is often times overlooked, if for no other reason than a lack of the society itself. Many stories only deal with a lone werewolf or a small pack, but rarely an organized community like the one depicted here.
It was a very nice touch, and I think it help me really enjoy the book.

I did have a little problem with the villains a little bit. I got the feeling that Esme and Astrid could have easily ended up venting their stories from the stage of the Jerry Springer show if circumstances were different. Is that type of conflict so common that Werewolves would be prone to it as well?

I also highly agree that any movie following this storyline more closely would have been very interesting.
Since this book was adapted to a movie, comparing the two is inevitable, so no worries there. Most werewolf books are not adapted, after all. I just wanted to make sure we focused on the book and not the movie.

There is a particular thing that puts a huge brick wall between this book and the movie under the same name. About the only thing that the movie and the book had in common was the title and the names of the characters. The location, the plot, the personalities and motivations - all of it was different, even the final outcome. With that information in mind, you might be able to appreciate the movie - if taken as its own entity. With the name of the movie and the characters being the same as the book, however, it's a difficult thing to do.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-21 15:41:34)

#4 2007-12-15 23:36:59

Kyllein

NOTE: CHOP-JOB:  Blood and Chocolate is a story about Werewolf-like creatures that is deservedly found in the Young Adult (read: High School) section of most libraries or bookstores.  It is, to these eyes, an attempt to cash in on interest in Werewolves; since the author can't seem to decide on what the creatures' natural form really looks like, or what their basic nature is.
By the characters' own admission; close up they don't really look all that much like Wolves-too large, wrongly proportioned, etc.  This is dealt with by simply killing off anyone who gets a good look at these people.
Vivian, the lead character in this story is a...Werewulph.  She has developed a "crush" on a human boy named Aiden; to the point of being willing to play "show and tell" with the guy... after he has led her on and on and on with bad poetry and worse maturity:  you get the feeling that they all live in the trailer park that supplies the people for Jerry Springer and various Supermarket tabloids.  One of the main points in the story is the scene where she strips and shows part of her Shift, and he reacts like a frightened six-year old at the doctor's office for a shot.  On second thought- the six-year-old would have been more mature.
One would think that after all the development that leads up to this, he'd at least give her a chance...but suddenly he becomes formulaic in response and not only tells her to leave, but makes plans to kill her. So sweet.  So damned predictable.
The only thing lacking is the black trench-coat.

This is just one of the disappointments in the book.  Many of the characters are virtually transparent; there ONLY to respond with predictable phrases to predictable questions.  Even their social laws are predeictable and show all the species-specificity of a bowl of stew.

Contradictory to the movie (more on that later) it's Gabriel that is the real "star" of this book.  He seems to be the only character that the writer really tried to develop, and it shows.  He's believable, if somewhat stiff and manipulative; and seems to be the only one of these Werewulphs not to have come from  the Appalachia of "Tobacco Road".  He's savvy and together, but still needs more development as a person, rather than a character.

All in all, the book was a disappointment; it had the feeling of being thrown together with a few semi-graphic scenes for reality in the Shift, and the ending was a let-down-in that there really wasn't an ending so much as the words just stopped-sans resolution.
Vivian decides to stick with her own kind, rather than explore the human world she's paid so much personal coin to enter.  Aiden, the would-be Werewulph killer is let go with just a stern warning.  HUH???  Gabriel, who has flitted in and out of the storyline like some puppeteer, gets Vivian-which he was going to do at the beginning of the story.

Now: why I use the term Werewulph to describe these people-  They are in no way related to Wolves!  They happen to resemble them, that's all.  They are supposedly a parallel evolution to humanity.  Again, Werewolves are Humans who have become Wulfen; either by bite, clawing, sex, transfusion, or heritage.  They are not parallel evolutes: the likelihood of such a thing being possible makes  Wulfen Werewolves positively believable in comparison.  They can't seem to decide whether they're parallel lifeforms or are predators and superior to humans.  There is a lack of relationship continuity throughout the book.

There was an odd explanation as to why the movie was just the name of the story and had almost none of the elements if the book in it, which also explains the story itself:  The writer simply sold the whole thing to the production company, and stated she didn't care what happened afterward-she had her money, which was what she was after in the first place.
She didn't care that her story was butchered by the same sorry lot that gave us Underworld, that the story was virtually  scrapped and some standard  modules plugged in to make a plot for the film, which was the usual costume horror story with hints of Romeo and Juliette.

A sad book, and worse movie.  The book is now in a Used-Book store, and I walked out of the film before the end credits rolled.  Hope continues, though.

Last edited by Kyllein (2007-12-15 23:48:55)

Kyllein Faolchu' MacKellerann, Aka RedEye, Kyllein, KMacK, Faolchu' and Lupus Umbrus (NOT Shadow Wolf!)  Here's the Joke:  That's My Real Name! big_smile
Clean Scent and Clear Trail: may your hunt be fruitful!

#5 2007-12-16 01:54:08

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very interesting points, Kyllein.
  If I remember correctly, the family lore insinuated that the werewolves had some sort of extra-terrestrial beginnings that Selene, the moon goddess, brought down from the stars. It's also very interesting to find out what the author had in store - that sheds a lot more light on the book, but it doesn't help much with its quality, does it?
  I also understand that this book focused on characters who did not have an extreme amount of maturity or experience, and were 'raging with hormones' (as Uncle Ben from a different movie would say). Add the trauma of the entire clan forced to move to a new location, and I can understand the existence of some shallow characters that may over-react now and then. It provides the foundation for a decent novel.
  However, I still don't believe that many of the final developments - like Vivian's suicide attempt, Rafe's feelings of betrayal toward Astrid ("What? Astrid's mad and crazy and stuff? I don't want to play with her anymore!"), and of course the mental and emotional degeneration of Aiden - should have been allowed. They ended up being cliche, or downright unbelievable. Though I now understand why she wrapped things up so hurriedly and frantically, it's a real shame because the story showed so much potential.
  Thanks again for your input, Kyllein.

So far, Benighted is proving just as emotionally fuddled in some places, but it's sooo much more believable, and sooo much more enjoyable. Actually, Kyllein, you might want to try it out - it's told from the viewpoint of someone who is cursed with NOT being a lycanthrope, whereas nearly everyone else in the book is cursed with being one. It's quite a refreshing take.

Last edited by Grayle (2007-12-16 01:58:55)

#6 2007-12-16 02:45:06

Aki

Blood and Chocolate struck as a decent book. Not a good or great one, but a decent one. The whole mystery thing and werewolf culture was kinda interesting but the end sucked, hard. Aiden wusses out and Vivian gets with Gabriel (who, seemingly contrary to everyone else, struck me a total creep) who seems to go from creep-mode to a decent guy like that.

And he was how many years older than her? Ew.

Last edited by Aki (2007-12-16 02:45:46)

#7 2007-12-16 11:04:22

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

Exactly my point, Aki!  I really enjoyed how the book showed that werewolves, like people, would wonder where they had come from, and, like people, they would turn to mythology and stories to explain it.  Given that the book was written for, perhaps, 13-16 year olds, I can't say I'm surprised at the lack of depth.  Character development is secondary to action in that age range. 

I did love Aiden came out with "I'm here to free you from your torment!".  It really cracked me up, and reminded me of a few of my own friends.

Gabriel is a total creep.  He's a borderline pedophile.  No, strike that, he is an actual pedophile.  I don't know if it's normal for teenage girls to fantasize about being taken away by a handsome older man, but I know that my daughter would not be dating, let alone marrying, someone like that.  If I started wooing a 16 year old, if I remember correctly Gabe was around my age, 22-23, I think most of the people in my life would call the police, or start beating me up.

And Kyllein, I agree that the author was somewhat confusing when describing what the werewolves are in this story, however; I don't necessarily see a contradiction between parallel evolution and superiority over humans.  As far as parallel evolution being less believable than the sort of 'magical' cursed werewolves, parallel evolution occurs all the time.  While I doubt something similar to the werewolves in this story could evolve, the precedent has been set many times in the Earth's history.

'Ah, well, they look perfectly normal right up to the point where they grow all, like, hair and teeth and giant paws and leap through the window at you,' said the voice.

#8 2007-12-16 17:34:26

Kyllein

What's the hard to believe part is that B&C's parallel evolutes are exactly like Humans in their Human form and so much like Werewolves in their natural (?) form.  That would argue that both species went through the same trials and weeding-out extinctions to arrive at where they are now: virtual duplicates of Humanity "in Smoothskin".
If they were metamorphs first and foremost; that I could believe- as in hiding in plain sight.  But they are a bi-polar species: Human or Werewulph with nothing in-between.  That...feels just a bit forced by the author.
It might have been better done if they were truly metamorphic: Apparently similar to Humans while having hidden differences in Human form, as well as being sort-of Werewolfish but not quite on their fuzzy form.  That would be more along the lines of Parallel Evolution.
Instead,  what I got from the story was someone using a vehicle to re-tell an already written story in "new clothes".
As I said: it was massively disappointing, since it hinted that there might be an actual Human-Werewolf romance going on, while in fact, that's all it did-was to hint.  Even the forced relocation at the start of the story has the feel of a hack-job about it.  People may riot if they think that there is a Werewolf in their community; but where were the police?  The arson that convinced them to move was apparently never investigated...not likely in today's society.
There was an overall feeling of the story being "put together" from scraps and snippets of other cheezy romances; which  may have been the case.
Going back over my notes on the book, I see repeated questions about "Where'd he come from?" or "why did she do this, it makes no sense?" and "Where is the connection for this passage?"
Admittedly, late Teens aren't the smartest critters around; and have enough innocent arrogance to get them killed without society to protect them-AND have enough hormones to fuel a clinic: but these people are just a little too far over the edge to make sense-or be real.
And if your characters aren't real-your scenes won't be either, and you won't sell your book.
Yet, somehow, the writer did just that.  Maybe she had a contract...

Kyllein Faolchu' MacKellerann, Aka RedEye, Kyllein, KMacK, Faolchu' and Lupus Umbrus (NOT Shadow Wolf!)  Here's the Joke:  That's My Real Name! big_smile
Clean Scent and Clear Trail: may your hunt be fruitful!

#9 2007-12-18 13:26:42

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Man, this is getting to be a fantastic discussion!

As to Gabriel going after Evie, I also remember Rafe shacking up with Astrid - a much older woman. I seem to remember that Rafe was near Evie's age. Since the genders are reversed, does that make it okay? Probably not. So, now we have 2 pedophiles in the clan - possibly more. The only thing I can think of is that for these 'Werewulphs', large differences in age and even relationships with younger ages are acceptable, perhaps even normal. However, that is never explicitly stated in the story, so it's left up to the reader's interpretation. Are Gabriel and Astrid both pedophiles, or are they following acceptable ways of their culture?
  I think that if the author was trying to portray these creatures as socially different from humans, she may have been using said theme as a tool to show how different they are from humans.
  Yet apparently, she wielded that tool in the wrong way; now it looks like she wasn't interested in wielding it correctly anyhow. Meh.

How did these creatures evolve? Your guess is as good as mine. I don't believe that the back story was thoroughly thought out before the book was published. Therefore it's not only open to the reader's interpretation, but open even more to the reader's imagination. Yet another symptom of a choppy story.

Kyllein, I totally agree: waving the carrot of a werewolf/human romance in front of the reader only so they can later find out it was a plush toy carrot was really frustrating - perhaps even insulting to many of the fervent readers.

The main thought I'm getting from this discussion: This was a decent book, and still worth one read. However, if this book can get published, our stories certainly could be.

(Shameless plug:  Aki and Kyllein, if you guys are interested or if you could find copies, we'd LOVE to hear your thoughts on Benighted. It's a much bigger book and the characters are greatly more developed - as is the plot. So far, it's really good overall.)

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-21 15:27:50)

#10 2007-12-18 21:16:26

Wolfy

This is an interesting discussion!  I personally loved the book.  I was a bit surprised at the sexual themes within the story, however.  I never came accross that type of stuff in the young adult section before, but then again, I don't normally read books that are specifically targeted toward teenage girls as opposed to a general audiance. 

Anyway, at first I liked Aiden ok.  I never got the impression that he wasn't a "real" character, although all the characters in this book appeared to have less depth to them than in other books I've read.  This book was a quick read though, and it seems more appropriate for the story and writing style though.  Anyway, Aiden wasn't a character that particularly appealed to me as a romantic interest but I can see how Vivian liked him because he was dramatically different from what she had grown up with.

At first I really didn't like Gabrielle because as it was mentioned, he appeared to be prepared to almost rape Vivian.  I liked how he turned out in the end though, and honestly didn't mind the age difference in the characters.  While I don't agree in practice with 20 year olds chasing 16 year olds, the age difference is such that once Vivian reached 18, it would be acceptable.  I think that even if Vivian is clearly a minor, which makes the idea wrong by our standards, Gabrielle was not a pedophile.  All of us are aware that many 16 year olds appear to be much older than they actually are.  At 16 most females have had their period, so they are at least physically mature.  I think that the reason the age difference is acceptable in the were society is because animals don't care about things like age.  They mate once they reach sexual maturity.  I think this helped illustrate the how the characters were human, but they were also ruled by their animal instincts as well.  They are more primal than humans.

This primal nature was also shown in the savagry of the fighting while competing for Alpha. 

Back on the note of the characters and whether they seemed real or not, I thought Gabrielle seemed very mature and knowlegable for a 20 something year old.  I'm roughly 22 myself, and I he certainly appears to act more adult than I feel most of the time. 

Also, the way Vivian behaves in her experiences in highschool seem very foreign to me.  Are the attitudes of the characters in this book very characterestic of most highschoolers?  Because the impression I got of my invironment as a teenager was very different from the one the book gave.

#11 2007-12-18 21:52:05

Niktoma
Advocatus Diaboli
Website

I was definitely not in a HS like that.  At all.  Then again, I don't really relate to ANY high school scenarios I see portrayed  in the media.  It's good to know I didn't miss out.

It was mentioned that, by the standards of the werewolves in the story, Vivian was an adult.  Yeah, it is a different society from our own, but I got the distinct impression that their society was in decay.   I'm not exactly sure where it came from, but yeah, I got it.

#12 2007-12-21 07:47:39

Daninsky
Website

I love the book, especially Vivian's character.
Being aware of her sexual nature and using it in that typical blund way teenagers have, yet passing judgment at her mother for the very same reason... teenagers, yeah, you can't live with 'em and you ain't allowed to kill them. :p
Also this feeling of being torn between wanting to stay true to your nature and having this need to blend in with a crowd you feel alienated from, that's something I remember very well. So far it makes for a great, mature, high school novel.

The only thing that put me off is the part about some of 'em believing to stem from protean matter that fell from the sky?
Seen too much Star Trek episodes before writing that part?
You just can't use 'protean matter' and 'scientific' in the same sentence under such circumstances!

I personally liked the fact that Aidan didn't go all: "Oh, you're a tooth and claws killing machine? Doesn't matter, I wub you anyway!"

I think that and the way Vivian reacts to her surroundings, passing judgment at each and every one right before she goes and does the exact same, are the strong points of the book.
It is centered on Vivian and her becoming sexual mature, it's a tale about growing up and you can't grow up with out losing feathers (or skipping some of your once precious morals).

The main weakness, apart from the rushed end (why the heck did she come up with that murder mystery crap anyway? That part doesn't add anything much to the story we didn't know from the start of the book), is the fact that all characters appear rather two dimensonal because we only get Vivian's view of the world. Vivian is the only character we really get to know, the rest we have to take a guess on based upon Vivians experience with 'em, which is mostly based on their knowing that she's about the age to become 'available'.

The end is maybe a tad to sweet seeing how The Five turn out to be best friends still to her, and yet creepy in the way she finally concedes to Gabriel. But it does make sense, as they are bound by their wolfen nature. The fact that Gabriel lets Aidan alive makes little sense though, seeing how they can fall for humans but yet never really care for them as they are little more than mere animals to them (just like werewolves would be to us), we have to take it that he does love Vivian and that he did love the Girl he accidentally killed, sparing Aidan as much as a favour to Viv as to redeem himself...

As for the story not feeling wrapped up, well such is live, things don't end they only change and go on.

In closing I have to say if she had concentrated on what made the book work, the illfated lovestory between Aidan and Viv, and kept the second half of the book about how they (or merely Viv) manage to cope with the fact that they are too different ever to have something together it would have been a stronger book. That half-arsed murder mystery she brings in for whatever unknown reason, marres the overall entertainment of the book.
Still, it's far superior to the movie of the same name and a welcome break from 'romance' the like of we find by Handeland or York, that "I'm so hot let's do it even we are walking in a minefield at the 'mo" kind.

Kyllein wrote:

People may riot if they think that there is a Werewolf in their community; but where were the police?  The arson that convinced them to move was apparently never investigated...not likely in today's society.

Actually if the town/village they lived in was small/secluded enough it's highly believable that the local police would cover that up, and long as the insurance has no reason to doubt what they are told (and why should they? The werewolves certainly won't have complained to loud about the happenings, so the investigation could easily be kept in the townscircle) no one else would have a reason to question it.

Last edited by Daninsky (2007-12-28 09:29:06)

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#13 2008-08-22 00:10:42

WritingWulf

Let me start out my rant of one of the books that got me through middle school and some of high school with a simple, I love this book. I can't put it any other way. The book starts out wonderfully with the choice of the flash back from when Vivian and her whole pack had lived in a small village, and from what I took from it, the village had been a good place to stay because of the secludedness. But of course with secludedness you have something I like to call the "Dark Age Bite". This is where you have a very small area, perfect and serene. But without word from outside people get anxious and almost stand still in time. That was the down fall of course, I liked the contrast of the village and Dark Ages, it was a very poetic small touch to throw in that made me bow to the author.

The beginning of the book shows Vivian being this absolutely rebellious to the world around her and her pack. She sees the beauty in the "Change" and what she is. Really, this was a fabulous outlook that I had not seen yet for the werewolf. People always have to center on the anger and scary beast in the werewolf, not the beautiful beast of nature that they are. She enjoys running through the forest, the taste of the forest air, and freedom. And her artistic nature with painting and drawing what she feels and sees of her shifts make the perfect image of a teenage wolf girl. I can't stress how much I was impressed with the combination that flow with the story perfectly. She is of course, beautiful and the image of wilderness but is very intimidating. Her beauty and daring to ask questions, "Why do we have to do this?","Why are things run like this?" fits perfectly. She is a very intelligent teen who is looking for answers that of course, no one can answer. She is the revolutionist and the idealist and of course, the beast.

Then there is Aiden, in the begining of the story I could see alote of myself in him. He was also a revolutionary, but what sickened me about him was that he seemed to be a "Poser" with the whole discovery of the world. He wants to dive deep into the occult but when he finally does, he runs scared. It was almost totally disappointing. His reactions to Vivian made me hurt for her, I wanted to smack the crap out of this stupid moron.

Ralph was an interesting character none the less. He was an jerk, but an interesting character. He was the leader of the group of wolves whom were sick of the things around them, human and werewolf. His "gang" that follows him are held in disregard when he finds things that he sees as bigger and better which could signal his own feeling of insignificance. If he throws people away that are close to him, then they can't do the same to him. His father was a prime example of where he could have gotten that idea from. Really, the "Gang" is a bunch of confused and misunderstood misfits that have the worst time trying to understand things around them, except William I think it was, the friend of Vivian whom I liked very much. He was down to earth and very likable.

Gabriel, I have to say he wasn't my favorite character but he was an important part. But he just wasn't my favorite character. He believed in the rules for the right of the pack and put himself and others in pain for what he saw as the only way for the cause of safety when I think there could have been other ways. "The Law" was followed by death, he pushed his weight around like a brute without regard really and he was a bit prideful for me to really enjoy reading about him. I was kind of hoping for that new brute in the ritual to find a leader to kill him or at least beat him, but alas, we cannot have what we want all the time. There was a deeper and more passionate side to Gabriel that he didn't let anyone know of but really it didn't find any sympathy with me. Everyone feels the problems he did, the endless struggle to find a connection with someone but not ever being able to connect one hundred percent like your soul and body tells you to because of something deep inside or outside that will not/can not be accepted.

The death of Aiden's friend, I think it was Peter, was surprising and I did not see that coming. That really set the tune for the book being serious. I loved it, but saddened me greatly.

Once I remember something else to dive into I will, this is whatcha get right now!

#14 2008-08-22 14:15:07

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I really like the point you bring out about Vivian's views on being a werewolf, WritingWolf. She thought of it as a blessing to be appreciated, not a curse to be feared or restrained. It was the restrictions of society that she had problems with. And I agree that too many werewolf stories in literature or in cinema focus on fearing, hiding, or even restraining the 'curse', and when they do accept their existence, the person appears to 'accept' their 'monstrosity' as well. Why can't werewolves ever be good guys?

I seem to remember William being quiet and supportive, which partially fulfills the meaning of the name William itself, which is "Resolute Protectour" or "Royal Protectour", depending on the source. I found that to be a little fitting. And I think you're right about the 'gang' too, but I also think that they could have easily become a mob if taken under a twisted influence. I'm glad they didn't.

As to Rafe, he seemed to be heading down a bad road, then apparently learned near the end that his girlfriend was crazy, and decided he didn't want that anymore. Every time I look at Rafe's character, I think that either he was really dense to not catch on to Astrid's self-indulgent, self-righteous attitude, or he was being very sneaky and abandoning her, knowing that she was doomed and staying on her side was pointless. So either he was really smart and sneaky, or he was very easily manipulated. I only wish a little more clarification could have been added to solidify his standing.

Even so, I liked the points you brought out here, WritingWolf, and I greatly appreciated Daninsky's input as well. Thanks again to both of you!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-22 14:17:34)

#15 2008-08-24 02:29:28

punxnotdead

Though I'm probably not going to be good at going into depth about the novel, I thought it was an exceptionally great read. Though I read very few novels, I can easily say that this is the best published novel I have read.

The actions sequences were very nicely played, keeping the reader in awe. She's very good with her descriptions and emotions. Boy, I envy her talent for portraying her emotions without sounding whiney or out of character. I need to learn to do that.

The pace was nice and it prevented me from being over stimulated or too bored.

I was a little shocked, however, at the ending. It wasn't the predictable ending that I thought it would be - Aiden learning to accept her and both of them setting off in the moonlight. Instead, it had a very drastic turn of events. She leaves with Gabriel, which I really didn't expect. I liked his character, though the end felt a little out of place. He seemed to lose his arrogance. I dunno.

As for the other characters, they had great dynamicy and I got into the book easily. I even over-stayed my lunch break by an accident because I was too caught up in it.

Because of my age, I may like it a bit more than the usual older audience.
Overall, I'd give it 9 1/2 howls out of 10.
It's a great read and I would refer it to anyone looking for a nice book. I'm even forcing my sister to read it. big_smile

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#16 2008-08-25 11:29:17

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Ooooh, well-said, Punx.  I seem to recall having difficulty putting the novel down at a couple points as well, which tells a lot about the pace and the flow of the story - that's usually what grips me.

Although the ending left me feeling a little unsatisfied, at least where the climax was concerned, the rest of the story had much to offer about how a pack of these creatures would deal with living amongst humankind.  I'm very glad to hear that both you, Daninsky, and WritingWolf liked it so much, and I thank you all for you input.

#17 2008-08-28 23:54:18

punxnotdead

Grayle wrote:

Ooooh, well-said, Punx.  I seem to recall having difficulty putting the novel down at a couple points as well, which tells a lot about the pace and the flow of the story - that's usually what grips me.

Although the ending left me feeling a little unsatisfied, at least where the climax was concerned, the rest of the story had much to offer about how a pack of these creatures would deal with living amongst humankind.  I'm very glad to hear that both you, Daninsky, and WritingWolf liked it so much, and I thank you all for you input.

No problem. I liked the ending because I felt it an unusual direction from the obvious. It would appear that Aiden would soon learn to accept her and they'd ride off in the sunset together, but that wasn't the case. I like unusual endings where they aren't so predictable. Also, I was hoping she'd fall for Gabriel during the whole book.

The book as a whole had a nice balance  between action and retained a nice flow.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#18 2010-08-03 15:46:18

The Busboy
Administrator

From another forum topic that was closed (since this one alraedy existed):

arkangel wrote:

This is extreamly better than the movie

Vivian Gandillon relishes the change, the sweet, fierce ache that carries her from girl to wolf. At sixteen, she is beautiful and strong, and all the young wolves are on her tail. But Vivian still grieves for her dead father; her pack remains leaderless and in disarray, and she feels lost in the suburbs of Maryland. She longs for a normal life. But what is normal for a werewolf?

Then Vivian falls in love with a human, a "meat-boy". Aiden is kind and gentle, a welcome relief from the squabbling pack. He's fascinated by the supernatural or unknown, and Vivian longs to reveal herself to him. Surely he would understand her and delight in the wonder of her dual nature, not fear her as an ordinary human would.

Vivian's divided loyalties are strained further when a brutal murder threatens to expose the pack. Moving between two worlds, she does not seem to belong in either. What is she really—human or beast? Which tastes sweeter—blood or chocolate?

#19 2010-11-26 15:02:11

christina_nixon
Website

I read the book the other days and it was so much different then the movie. Actually I think the movie was kind of better. The book was interesting enough here and there. I loved the way Vivian was described and all those "fitting in" problems she seemed to mind. It's just that there were too many characters at some point, some of them really useless, and the ending kind of rushed. I mean, during the entire book there were no signs that Vivian liked Gabriel, and then, suddenly, she decides to accept him just because Aiden hurt her feelings and tried to kill her.

Board footer