The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#251 2008-07-15 20:55:09

LycanSoul

Re: Werewolf in the shadows

hmm i was thinking of keeping it up and adding a 3 word post since it went from one to two but i must say the description in this was wonderful, I enjoy how well you described the effort it took to suppress the change and how difficult it was while he still kept his sense. Keep it up!

My name's Brant but I love the nickname Lyall xD.
I love all forms of music and I'm almost always listening to it.
I'm an aspiring writer, computer-programmer, and wildlife expert (mostly wolves big_smile)

#252 2008-07-16 12:13:40

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I also liked the description you gave the suppression - It was a practical aspect of life as a werewolf that many overlook, and I appreciate that you covered it. Nicely done!

I can't help but wonder who was in the lobby - I know Alex had other things on his mind, but it seems like his lack of noticing, coupled with his assumptions, may prove detrimental later on. Usually that's howit goes; however, there's no strong indication of that, and you're constantly surprising us by going a different direction than what the reader is expecting, so I leave it in your more than capable hands.

Bring on some more, Punx!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#253 2008-07-19 02:30:56

punxnotdead

Thanks, Grayle smile
And you, too Lycan and fuzzball, and werer! smile
I know I should add more meat to this segment, but I'm not big on mushieness. It saps the storyline...or does it?

Olivia sat in the cold, stark confines of her prison cell. She shivered from the chill, watching as plumes of fog dispersed from her ragged and uneven breathing. Her lungs ached from inhaling the chilled air and her fingers were numb. Blood was crusted around her wrists from the serrated silver shackles biting into her skin. She could still feel the corrosive metal eating away at her flesh and the poison filling her veins. Because of it, any movement was an arduous task and she didn’t move unless necessary. All she could do was breathe and blink.

She exhaled sharply and averted her attention to the door in front of her. It was composed of nearly impenetrable steel with a small window in the hub of the door. She could see the hallway through it. It was equally dark. The metal walls were rusted and solidified with ice. It was only a matter of time before she’d see Crowell’s penetrating blue eyes gazing through the window, revealing her impending demise. It’s not that she feared death, but she feared not having finished the task she had set out to do. And her kin. She blinked away hot tears at the thought. She presumed Martina to be dead, but Gregory and Lottamay she was uncertain of.

She shut her eyes, the vivid recollection of the previous night’s events reeling though her mind. They had exploded from the shadows before she could react. The tranquilizers were swift and blackness quickly consumed her. But before that happened, she remembered lying on the pavement, gazing into the shadows. She spotted Jason. He was in plain sight of the soldiers, and yet they did not react to his presence. She remembered the flicker of remorse in his eyes as she gazed at him, almost as if in a silent apology. She bit her lip and clenched her fist, ignoring the pain that seared up her arm. He had betrayed them.

Her mind flickered to Alex. He had been innocent, and yet she hadn’t trusted him. She could usually discern when people were honest, but because of the hefty loss, she was disoriented and unable to distinguish. Perhaps if she had heeded Alex’s warning, she could have avoided capture. Though she was initially disgusted by Alex’s ignorant demeanour, she respected his integrity for his friend, conveying true kinship.
She kept her knees to her chest to avoid heat loss and rested her jaw on her knees. Her skin was cold and she was half-naked – clothed in little more than a robe. She sighed, hoping all was well with Alex.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#254 2008-07-19 09:47:44

LycanSoul

hey cut punx some slack, after these other massive chapters she deserves to throw in one here or there xD

I'm an aspiring writer, computer-programmer, and wildlife expert (mostly wolves big_smile)

#255 2008-07-19 12:42:14

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I like this, Punx.
  I like how you aren't forgetting the other characters of the story, but you're willing to 'check in on them' every so often. You did the same with Steven and also Crowell periodically. Due to your story's complexity, it helps the reader keep track of all that's happening.
  With my story, focusing solely on the viewpoints and thoughts of one character, it limits how much the reader knows. They only know how much the main character does. In other words, my story is 3rd person limited whereas yours is told in 3rd person omniscient. With 3rd person omniscient, keeping tabs on the other characters is often times vital for the reader to feel the story is complete, so I really appreciate your attention to that necessity.

As to the segment itself, I thought it was wonderful; even though it's short, there's a lot more to this segment than just words. I appreciated the detail about the silver shackles and how Olivia is dealing with them practically. I also like how she's had time to think about matters at hand - I mean, when locked up, all there is to do is think and sleep. As an older werewolf, I liked how she wisely turned to rehashing the recent events to try to understand them, and has also reached the correct conclusion on her own.

Very well done, Punx! Bring on more when you can, please!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-07-21 12:21:01)

#256 2008-07-19 21:07:03

LycanSoul

hey no need to apologize to me xD i've rarely ever seen a book that didn't have a few short chapters

#257 2008-07-20 00:23:52

punxnotdead

Wow, I didn't think I'd be getting horribly positive feedback. Thank you!
Grayle, you always know how to find the deeper meaning in all stories. I wish I had such a gift.
What I like about your viewpoint is you keep the audience guessing as to what will happen next.

Anyways, I have Monday and Tuesday off, so I'll definately have more up soon, Fuzzball. big_smile Thank you! And no need to apologize. I definately agree with you!

I may have some more tomorrow. You might just have to keep a look out for it wink

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#258 2008-07-23 01:17:52

punxnotdead

Again, it's short and I apologize. I spent my days off building a shed, so I had little time to write:

Crowell sat at his lavish office desk, filing through paperwork and rubbing his temples to ease his throbbing migraine. The ache, pulsing through his skull, refused to tire. Perhaps sleep would ease his troubled thoughts and headache, but he had far too much to attend to.
His officer’s failure to capture Alex had been the trigger of his sleepless nights and ceaseless headaches.

Growling in contempt and muttering a curse, Crowell combed his fingers through his blonde hair, sighing.
He refused to commence with any experimental trials until Alex was apprehended. Then he could be certain that he would breathe a word to know one of the previous experiment.
But he had already submitted a letter to the magazine editor. If she, in fact, wrote the article, his reliability would be tarnished. All that he had worked to achieve would be tainted...

At once, a red-haired officer entered Crowell’s office.

Crowell was startled from his musings and his icy eyes flickered onto the young man. “What?” He enquired with agitation.

Though the soldier initially appeared alarmed by Crowell’s response, he composed himself and entered, stopping short of Crowell’s desk.
“My apologies, sir, but I thought I’d advise you as soon as possible.”

Crowell’s eyes narrowed inquisitively and he motioned for the guard to continue.

“The police have been advised as to Alex Millar’s whereabouts and they’re headed to the location as we speak.”

Crowell interrupted him, anger evident in his voice and posture. “Then why are you standing here like a damn fool? Get my men suited and out there!”

“Yes, sir, but the police could pose a bit of a problem. They may get in the way of our endeavours.” The young soldier shifted uneasily from foot to foot as Crowell’s face remained sombre and his sapphire eyes bored into him.

“I don’t care. I want you to do whatever is necessary to capture Alex. Send five soldiers to the vicinity. Any more might draw unnecessary attention to ourselves.” Crowell demanded.

The soldier nodded objectively, his face unconvinced of the plan, but exited the office.

Crowell continued to gaze at the doors where he had disappeared, feeling his headache dissipating from the consideration of Alex’s capture. Once he was dealt with, he could move forward with the project.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#259 2008-07-23 11:00:19

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

This is a great way of building anticipation - did the police get a call from the pawn Shop owner, or someone in the hotel? We have to wait and see...

I also liked how Crowell is still focusing on Alex as his main problem. It's like he doesn't yet consider Janis and the article to be as big of a threat as it might turn out to be. Once Janis publishes the article, I think then he'll realize the trouble it will give him, but by that time it will practically be too late. Even so, his focusing on Alex at the cost of ignoring other things kinda fits his obsessive personality pretty well.

Oh - those 2 sentences about the consequences of Janis writing the article could probably be merged with a little bit of tweaking, but it's up to you.

Great job yet again, Punx! We're ready for more when you are!

#260 2008-07-26 22:54:27

punxnotdead

I forgot to post it again sad

A congregation of police officers were situated outside of the motel. Half a dozen squad cars were positioned directly outside of the motel doors.
The police chief, Alfred, advised his team, “We are dealing with an extremely dangerous fugitive. He may be armed and dangerous, so I advise you all to use absolute caution and concentration. If you feel your life is in immediate danger, shoot. It is best, however, that the fugitive is unharmed when apprehended.” His fellow officers nodded their head in agreement, clutching their rifles and pistols between their hands.

He continued, “A witness spotted Alex leaving the perimeter early this morning and advised us that he returned several hours ago. I’ve got all the information I need from the motel manager. We will make the move once all of my back-ups secure the perimeter around the motel. Once that is completed, I will allow two officers to enter through the window and four others through the door. The rest of you will be situated outside in case he manages to escape. We will enter the building slowly, but only on my command.” He informed his elite men. Again, they nodded in conformation and prepared themselves for their chief’s order.

Alex was splayed across the bed, deep in a dreamless slumber and oblivious of the danger looming outside of his room. He had returned several hours ago, still exhausted and longing for sleep. He devoured the last slices of pizza, stripped to his boxers and wandered into a dreamless abyss.
But as he lay, his limbs intertwined beneath swathes of silky fabric, his eyes fluttered open. Something roused him from his slumber. Though partially awake, he was not lucid, nor aware of the fate that awaited him outside.

He sighed, gazing at the room in front of him. Unusually bright shafts of light penetrated the windows, illuminating the room in a rich glow. The television was set on the news station. He could hear it humming and crackling, though he paid no heed to the conversation. He kept it on in hopes of hearing what he had been waiting for.

He inhaled the sweet scents of the sheets and the air around him. But as he did so, his half-closed eyes shot open. A trail of shivers rippled along his spine and his mind began to process the scents. He focused his hearing towards the door and strained to listen. Shuffling. Chafing of fabric and the click of metal against metal. A floorboard creaked and Alex furrowed his brows, trying to decipher who it was. His muscles were tense and he gripped the sheets tightly. He dared not breathe, fearful of being overheard.
Silence.

At once, the flimsy door exploded and two metal canisters struck the floor. They hissed as they expelled plumes of tear gas. Within seconds, the room was engulfed by thick swathes of white gas.

Alex leapt from his bed, but the corrosive substance filled his lungs. He coughed and spluttered, writhing in agony as the substance burned his eyes, mouth and nose. It weakened him, forcing him to his hands and knees. He clutched his throat and coughed, unable to rid of the searing pain that ripped through his lungs. His fingernails buried into the carpet as breathing became difficult. Tears cascaded down his cheeks, failing to cleanse the noxious substance from his eyes. He was certain that no normal tear gas would have such an effect, if any at all.

But as he lay in a heap, he gazed ahead of him at the doorway. His stomach plummeted as five SWAT-clad soldiers entered through the battered remains of the door. Their expressionless faces were obscured by heavy ventilators and they brandished deadly rifles. Sudden realization struck him - they were Crowell’s soldiers!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#261 2008-07-27 02:23:43

punxnotdead

fuzzball1 wrote:

Great Job Punx! Honestly I Dont Find A Lot Of Reading Material That I Get Hooked To But This Is Different.
Now Grayle I Dont Mean To Be Nosey Or Anything Like That But Im Just Wondering. You Seem To Know A Lot About Books. Im Trying To Find Some Good Books.  Plus I Would Really Like To Read Some Stephen King. Any Suggestions?

Wow, thank you for the compliment. It means alot to me smile Thank you!

Well, here's a large segment I just finished. Sorry about the length. I promise they wont be this long from now on, I was just in the writing mood wink

Chapter 22
With what little reserves of energy remained, Alex forced himself to his knees, hoping to stagger to his feet and lunge from the window. However, his muscles, weakened by the silver fog, could do little for him.
A barricade of five soldiers approached, their guns aimed at Alex and their fingers curled around the trigger. Alex gazed at them descending from the fog like omens from hell, revealing his impending demise. Their indifferent expressions did little to ease the predicament. He detected no sympathy within their callous eyes.

Two men broke away from the others and they were now four feet from Alex.

Alex groaned and strained to get to his feet, but each attempt was futile. The two soldiers got to their knees, the scopes of their guns steadied on Alex. Alex cursed and scrambled to get to his feet – to flee through the window. However, before he could react, the two soldiers fired their rifles. Instead of bullets, two pieces of barbed silver shot from their weapons. They whistled through the air and connected against his flesh with a slap. The first harpoon-like bullet plunged into his shoulder, stopping short of the bone, gripping into the muscle and refusing to part. The other struck him in the abdomen with a solid thud. The two hooks were connected by a thin wire.

Volts of electricity exploded from the gun, entering Alex’s weakened and exposed flesh. His face contorted in agony, reddening from the lack of oxygen. His teeth clenched and every muscle in his body contracted from the voltage. His fists were clenched and his arms were flexed as a response to the electricity. Veins protruded from his arms and neck as he yowled in pain. The electricity intensified until he was certain he could take no more. Waves of agony lashed his body, nearly causing him to lose consciousness. He prayed for the pain to end – for the hooks to dislodge from his body and the corrosive air to dissipate. However, he had no such luck.

It seemed to last a lifetime as the pain increased. He growled and slammed his eyes shut, waiting for the pain to ease. It did.
The electricity ceased, but the barbs remained fastened within Alex’s skin.

Alex’s fatigued muscles relaxed and his weary body slumped to the ground. His face struck the soft floor and he lay, breathing shallowly. His eyes were half closed and thoughts ceased to exist in his overwhelmed mind. With all of his energy reserves depleted, Alex remained motionless. His limbs were askew and his neck was positioned at an odd angle, but he didn’t care. He only wished for the pain of death to be swift. But he could never hope for such luck – not with Crowell.
He envisioned Crowell’s piercing blue pools and his mocking grin before the torture of death began. He could hear Crowell’s depraved chortle ringing through his skull and his smooth face wrinkle with joy.

A flicker of rage swelled in Alex’s chest. It flooded through his body, accelerated by the very thought of Crowell.

The five soldiers moved through the haze, communicating through hand gestures and whispers.
“We need to get him out of here as soon as possible. The police should be up any minute,” one soldier advised to his companions.

Through blurred and stinging vision, Alex watched as three silhouettes approached, their lumbering footfalls sounding like a thunderclap in his ears. The rage was consuming him, and he willingly allowed it to claim his weary body. A sinister darkness crept along his vision like black fog obscuring the sky. Within seconds, he was plunged into a sweet abyss.

The beast, propelled by the rage, staggered to its hands and knees. The soldiers shrieked in bewilderment and attempted to immobilize him once again.
Before they could react, the beast pried the prongs from his shoulder and abdomen, clenching its teeth from the pain that sliced through it. The grey carpets were stained scarlet as the useless prongs clattered to the ground.

With replenished energy, the beast staggered to its feet, its wide chest heaving with untamed fury. It felt not the pain tearing through its lungs, nor the residual throb of flesh wounds.

The five soldiers fumbled with their weapons, recoiling into the fog as they attempted to gain a better shot.
But the beast’s eyes glimmered gold and it licked its lips in anticipation for what was to come.
It closed its eyes and willed the shift, soon opening them with a malevolent gleam in its pitiless eyes.
The pops and squirms of muscle and bone were drowned out by the shrieks of soldiers.

While in mid-shift, the beast lurched forward as a soldier fired. The prong grazed the fur along its arm, but failed to hit the target. The first soldier attempted to withdraw, but he stumbled and staggered in the thick haze.

Taking advantage of the opportunity, the beast curled and sprang. The power of the lunge caused the room to tremor and the carpet to shred. The beast descended upon its victim in a whirl of fur. It slammed into the first soldier, causing both man and beast to hurl through the air. The soldier hit the plaster walls with a deafening thunderclap, the crunch of bones filling the air.
Taking mere seconds, the soldier gurgled, his eyes rolling to the back of his head, and blood issuing from his mouth as he fell motionless to the ground.

The remaining guards, petrified and shouting, extracted silver-bulleted pistols.

Unperturbed by the deadly weapons, the beast continued its ravenous hunt. It moved faster than the men could comprehend, the fog making it difficult for them to see. The beast relied on its hearing, drawing closer.
The soldiers fired their guns simultaneously and a barrage of silver bullets sprayed the air.

The beast dodged the lethal torrent of gunfire, hunching close to the ground where the fog was copious. The sound of gunfire was hampered by their silencer and all that was heard was bullets pelting the walls, television, and bed. Bullets punched holes in the bathroom door where the beast once stood. But it was gone in blur of speed, disappearing within the copious smog.

The beast could hear the men’s heartbeats slamming in his ears and their hesitant shuffling. They ceased their gunfire, their heads swivelling around the room in desperate search of the creature. They held their guns erect in front of them, prepared to fire.
However, the soft carpet masked the creature’s footfalls, and it moved unrestrained throughout the room in deep assessment of which opponent would be the wisest.

The soldier nearest to him had his flank exposed and his gun pointed elsewhere.
The best leisurely ascended upon his target, ensuring its footfalls were light and calculated. Though the burning gas prevented him from scenting his prey, he could sense the man’s fear through his demeanour. The pistol quivered slightly and his breath came out in rapid, uneven intervals. The fear was evident.

Crouching closer to the ground, the beast smiled wickedly as he struck. At once, it leapt to its feet, grasping the gun in one hand and the man’s uniform in the other. Before the other men could comprehend, the beast lunged from the soldier’s crosshairs and disappeared once again into the fog.
The men, bewildered, cocked their guns and peered wildly around the room. And saw nothing. They exchanged fearful glances, trying to compose themselves.

The soldier’s screams were muffled by a clawed hand grasping his face, the talons slicing into his cheeks. He winced and struggled against the grasp, but the crushing handhold refused to ease. He saw only the flash of ivory fangs and lupine eyes before a sinister darkness consumed him.

Blood dripping from its broad muzzle, the beast released its jaws from around his throat. Satisfied with the kill, it turned from the corner of the room to face the remaining assailants that were feet from its lethal fangs. A malicious grin exposed scarlet stained incisors and strings of crimson saliva dripped from its frothing maw.
It relished in the very thought wrapping his blood-stained teeth around their throat and hearing their futile screams clamouring in his ears.

The hair along his back hackled as it loped towards the remaining men. 
But the two men, squinting into the plumes of fog, spotted the oncoming danger. Their eyes widened in fear and they cursed audibly, redirecting their gunfire towards the beast.
Bullets whistled through the air as the beast lurched forwards, feinting to the left and right. The uncoordinated men continued their relentless hail of gunfire, but failed to strike the beast.

The beast collided heavily with the two men, its hefty and muscled body knocking both soldiers off their feet and gasping for air. The gun slipped from the one man’s clutch and was launched into oblivion.
Seizing the opportune moment, the beast grasped a handful of the man’s uniform and hurled him across the room. The soldier connected with the window, which immediately gave way. Screaming and writhing, the man hit the pavement with a resounding slap. The man’s cries died and the inhabitants below were showered with glass.

The beast could hear Alfred’s shrill voice shrieking to his fellow officers and ordering them to enter the vicinity. Numerous footfalls sounded as a hoard of police officers entered the building, ascending the stairs to Alex’s room.

The beast turned to its last victim, who was pinned beneath his grasp. He screeched as talons plunged through his clothing and into his arms. His face reddened from the lack of oxygen as the other hand was fastened around his throat.

He peered up into the relentless eyes of his would-be-killer, praying for a hasty death. But from the malevolent gleam in the beast’s eyes, he knew death would not come so easy. He could see the strings of saliva as the beast roared throatily. He gazed into the vast orifice in front of him and watched the glistening teeth near his incapacitated body. His arm was broken, and he was certain that several more of his ribs were also cracked, if not broken.

But as he gazed into the callous lupine eyes, he saw something flicker within the molten orbs. The nearing jaws recoiled and the vice-like grip eased from his throat. The creature appeared to be withdrawing. With his pulse still hammering in his skull, he watched with constricted breath as the beast backed away. Relief flooded his exhausted body, but he was still fearful of imminent death.

Despite his fears, the beast continued to recoil into the fog until all that remained was a dark shadow of its silhouette.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#262 2008-07-27 09:14:39

LycanSoul

very intense!! Although... at times i wonder if you just write so descriptively because you just like mutilating people cruelly... i'm kidding lol. Keep it up!!

#263 2008-07-27 23:32:35

LoupGarouAngel
Website

OMG!So glad I got to catch up,this is just such AMAZING work!I love it!

"The soldier’s screams were muffled by a clawed hand grasping his face, the talons slicing into his cheeks. He winced and struggled against the grasp, but the crushing handhold refused to ease. He saw only the flash of ivory fangs and lupine eyes before a sinister darkness consumed him."

This little bit though,written so perfectly and so full of actual pure emotions and fearfear,it gave me chills!Punx,you talent is endless and I cannot wait to see your published work on shelves,eagerly awaiting a lucky reader who decides to pick up one of the most amazing werewolf novels ever!big_smile

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#264 2008-07-28 17:31:12

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Amen to Fuzzball's, LycanSoul's, and Loup's both comments!

This was probably one of your best segments yet, Punx - and that's saying something, believe me. I've often said your descriptive talents never cease to amaze, and this segment proves it. The ominous tension not only filled the hotel room but also the reader's mind! Incredibly well done, Punx!

I also really appreciated the halt on the final kill. I'd venture to guess that was Alex taking back control over the beast, but I'd be willing to accept whatever explanation you have in store for us.

Superb job yet again, Punx! Well Done!

#265 2008-08-02 02:04:17

punxnotdead

Thank you so very, very much for your words of encouragment. They've inspired me to keep going with this story throughout the duration of it.
It is because of you that I am where I am.

---
Alfred climbed the stairs two at a time, his pistol poised in front of him. His finger was pressed lightly against the trigger, but enough so that he could fire with ease if necessary. From the grotesque scene outside, he made his deduction that a gunfight would be imminent. Though fear lingered at the back of his mind, he was able to compose himself and respond accordingly to the situation.
He had encountered numerous similar cases in the past, and from years of repetition and experience, he no longer feared such situations, but dealt with them professionally. He only hoped his calm response would create an impression upon his fellow officers, for he could see the fear dancing in their eyes when facing dangerous tasks.

With slow, deliberate footsteps, he crept down the hallways in which Alex’s room was situated. He kept his back pressed against the wall, sliding along the smooth surface as he neared the doorway. He kept his pistol poised in front of his chest, his breath restricted, listening intently for any indication of gunfire or hostile noises. He was only feet from the entrance. But as he strode down the long stretch of empty hallway, he saw plumes of white fog rolling from the open doorway.

His brows furrowed in perplexity and he cautiously leaned forward to examine the doorway. His breath caught in his throat and a curse rolled from his lips. The door was completely severed from the frame and what scattered remains he could see were strewn about the floor.
He gripped his pistol tighter in his palms, pressing the back of his head against the drywall, in further preparation for a battle. He motioned for his men to crowd around him to back him up if necessary. He prayed his bullet-proof vest would sustain him.

The hoard of officers silently skulked to the police chief, awaiting further orders. But as Alfred gazed at the shattered remnants of the door and the potentially toxic gas spewing from the doorway, he knew it was best not to enter – not until he was certain. Motioning for his men to linger, Alfred prepared himself. Inhaling deeply and closing his eyes, memories briefly flashing on those he had left behind at home.

Then, with a surge of speed, he whipped around the doorway, situated at entrance of the room and gazing into the smog-filled compartment. A breeze of air flitted up his nose, burning his nostrils and trachea as it descended to his lungs. With a slight splutter and a putrid flavour upon his tongue, he came to his deduction. It was tear gas. Though relatively harmless, it caused searing pain to those who come in contact with it.
Surely the felon would be incapacitated from such concentrated tear gas.

He yelled through the thick sheath of gas, unable to see much besides the silhouette of fixtures around the room. “This is the police. We will be entering the vicinity and use extreme force if necessary. Do not try to flee. The building is surrounded.”

Straining to listen, he heard a shuffle to his left, near the corner of the room, only ten feet away. Instinctively, his gun whipped around to face the unseen noise. His breath was caught in his throat and his pistol was held, unmoving in a steadfast grip.

For moments, he heard nothing but faint scrabbling, like nails against hardwood. He squinted into the darkness and shouted again. “Get out with your hands on top of your head.”

Nothing.
He cursed and muttered into his radio, ensuring to keep his aim towards the close left corner. “I want my SWAT team with ventilators up here immediately!”
But he could speak no further as his eyes grew wide with bewilderment and his heart leapt from his chest. He felt coils of fear spring from his chest at the sight in front of him.

A dark figure, with only the black, hazy silhouette distinguishable, rose from the floor. It was only feet away and yet his eyes had difficulty discerning the moving mass. He spat a string of curses as a broad, wide chest rose, two triangular ears twitched and dog-shaped face swivelled his way. It was, by far, the largest being he had ever encountered. The peak of its ears touched the ceiling and its massive paw-like hands clenched periodically at its side. A ruffed tail flitted at its side as it stood on two legs, hunched slightly.

His pistol quivered in his hands and he recoiled from the foreign creature. He gasped as two lupine eyes blazed through the haze, the only identifiable features of the beast.

The beast’s massive chest heaved with anger...or uncertainty? He could not tell. But he continued to withdraw until he felt his back bump the hallway wall. And yet he stood in a stupor, marvelling in stricken terror as the beast moved. He flinched and sweat accrued on his forehead. He dared not move. Instead, his gaze remained transfixed on the shadowed creature.

The molten pools blinked with intelligence – unlike any other animal – before it turned its back on Alfred and loped towards the window. Its size decreased as the distance between the two increased.
He grimaced at the cacophony of shattering glass, watching intently as the silhouetted lunged through the already-broken window and disappeared.

He continued to gaze at the spot where it had disappeared until an officer roused him from his musings.
“Sir, are you alright?” A younger officer enquired.

Swallowing a hard lump in his throat, he blinked and nodded. “I think so,” it came out as a hoarse whisper.

“What did you see?” He pressed.

Shaking his head and shrugging his shoulders, Alfred replied. “Nothing.”

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#266 2008-08-03 14:32:32

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very nicely done, Punx. You kept the tension and astonishment of the scene intact although you changed the viewpoint from one character to another. It helps the reader realize that both viewpoints are happening in the same scene.
  I also enjoyed your description of Alfred's consideration - setting an example for those on his team, testing the gas, and even his willingness to accept what his eyes were telling him, even if he didn't divulge the information to others. You've added a bit of wisdom to the character, making him more than just a lackey. You also went so far as to have him notice intelligence in the eyes of the beast. It's not much to go on, of course, but it could be used later on in the story if you chose to, or just let it pass by altogether and not leave your readers wondering about it. It's a nice setup; I like it.

Nicely done, Punx! Please post more soon, ok?

#267 2008-08-05 02:50:02

punxnotdead

Thank you, Grayle *Hugs* You've been such a great support throughout my story smile Now here's the boring segment...sorry.

---

Alex’s paws thundered against the snow-encrusted alleyway. He was flickering in and out of consciousness, struggling to attain control. He remembered small flashes of memories as he regained control. A man’s bloodied and terrified face gazed at him in anticipation of death, his throat pinned to the ground and gas mask ripped from his face. Horror filled Alex at the consideration of killing the man. He could not allow the beast to kill him – not in cold blood.

Another flash of memories hit him like a freight train. He was gazing at a police officer through the doorway of the smog-filled room. The beast intended to murder him, but again, Alex intervened. He would not allow for another innocent human to die because of him. Only one person would die beneath his fangs...Crowell.

He had leapt through the shattered remnants of the window, grasping onto the side of the brick wall with his talons, preventing a forty foot descent. In two bounds, he scaled the building with unfathomable speed. The police could not comprehend whether it was a shadow or a fabrication of their imagination.

And now, his paws splashed in frigid puddles as he propelled himself away from danger. His limbs were shaky from the adrenaline and the struggle to maintain control, but he ignored it and persisted forward until he was far from enquiring eyes – and the soldiers’ radars. He ran until his muscles burned and he forced himself to stop in the hub of an alleyway. It was vacated, save for strewn plastic bags and scampering rats.

He regained his composure, steadying his breathing and closing his eyes as he shifted to his human form. It was relatively slow – he surmised from the over-excitement or the weakening effects of the gas. Whatever the cause, the shift was strenuous. He clenched his teeth together, feeling the last reserves of energy ebb from his already depleted body. His bones caused him pain and he winced and growled as they bubbled beneath his flesh.

And now, panting from exertion, Alex stood, unclothed in the frigid afternoon winter. His honey-hued skin quivered as a cold gentle breeze grazed his skin and wove through his hair. He inhaled the scents, noting that it would snow that evening. He could smell the shift of weather in the air, able to detect when or what would occur. As he did so, an irritating tickle descended down his neck, cascading down his back.

Instinctively, he brought his hand to the irritated area to relieve the itch. But as he did so, he felt a warm liquid substance coat his fingers. His brows furrowed in perplexity as he brought his hand in front of him. Scarlet liquid smeared his fingers. Then the pain began. A sharp pain rippled along his ear and he gasped in shock. From the pain, it felt as though his ear had been torn from his head, but as he examined the injury with his hand, he was relieved. He felt only a small portion at the tip of his ear missing. A silver bullet must have struck it.

Despite this, he was grateful that the bullet had missed his head. Crouching to the ground, he gathered a handful of snow and pressed it against his throbbing ear. He immediately pulled away from the pain that sliced along his skull, but forced it against his wound. Within moments, the wound was numb and the bleeding had ceased. Satisfied, he got back to his feet.   

But he still had a dilemma – he was naked. Raking his brain for ideas, he came to a ridiculous conclusion. Without delay, he disregarded the notion. However, he saw no other alternative. He still had to walk amongst humans as a man, so he needed to blend in. ‘Clothing might help,’ he mused internally.
Moments passed as he contemplated the idea, milling the plan through his mind. He felt a pang of regret twist in his gut from the consideration of once-again stealing, but there was no other option.

Exhaling sharply and muttering a curse, he hoped he had enough energy to shift once again. As it had been earlier, the shift was arduous, but he managed to acquire his wolf form. Though vastly larger than any wolf, he hoped it would allow him to blend in with his surroundings, so long as he played the part. His eyes scoured the street in front of him. It was bustling with activity and he grimaced. Nonetheless, he began to lope to the sidewalk and commence down the streets in search of what he was seeking.

He ambled down two streets and turned a corner until he found the desirable location – a launder mat. He sighed and sauntered toward the ramshackle building, which was situated alongside numerous other businesses. The cars came in small trickles and there were fewer people, as it was closer to a residential area.

He did his best to look inconspicuous and trotted past a string of traffic until he entered the parking lot. It was nearly uninhabited, but as he gazed through the glass windows, he saw several people milling through the store, some folding their clothes, while others sat impatiently, gazing at out-dated walls. 
Alex persisted forwards until he sat beside the shop’s doors, awaiting the opportunity to proceed. In the mean time, he allowed his tongue to loll from his jowls and sat intently on his haunches – appearing as dog-like as was possible. The humans didn’t take notice of the large carnivore, but Alex was certain that if a dog strolled by, the reaction would be different. They were able to detect his presence and for a reason unbeknown to him, they acted violently.

His apprehension was kept at bay as no dogs were visible.
Alex’s ears twitched back and he sniffed the air. He could hear the churning of washing machines and the shuffling of feet scraping the floor. He could smell the detergent and the human bodies, detecting when they neared the door. 

He followed a distinctive scraping of footfalls near the door, his muscles clenching in anticipation. Then, the door squealed open as a man prepared to exit the shop.
However, in a whirl of speed, Alex deserted his post and bolted towards the open door. His shoulder collided with the man’s legs as he passed.

The man shrieked and stumbled, falling to the ground. As Alex entered, the usually silent mass of scattered people screamed. A torrent of shouts and shrill screams pounded Alex’s ear drums, disorientating him. He lurched forward, his claws scrabbling on the floor in a futile attempt to gain purchase.

He tried to avoid an oncoming machine, but his flank struck the side. The washing machine roared as it quivered from side to side, spewing clothing onto the floor. Seizing the opportunity, Alex fastened his jaws around a heap of clothing and retraced his route outside.
Terrified spectators leapt out of the way, their eyes wild with fear. Alex had no intention of harming them.

He reached the door, watching the fallen man scurry to his hands and knees, crawling away as he attempted to get to his feet. In a surge of speed, Alex leapt over the fallen man and to the outside world. Adrenaline and guilt pulsed through his veins, propelling him to safety.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#268 2008-08-05 14:07:55

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

lol Werewolf in the Shadows - of a Laundromat! Hahaha! I love it!

Personally, I though that scene was terrific - and a bit hilarious, with a large werewolf trying to navigate screaming patrons and linoleum floors in a laundromat. Hehehe - just goes to show you that you never know when you'll see a werewolf!

A appreciated the moral dilemma for Alex as he was forced to revert to stealing once again, and there's no telling if it was successful. He may have gotten women's clothes, or men's clothes that are too large or small. Either way, since he got them out of a washer, they're probably going to be wet and soapy, but what choice does he have? It's a very realistic, resourceful, and believable predicament.

The difficulty shifting was also a curious mystery, but might not be anything to worry about - like you explained, it may be simply a reaction to the gas or perhaps even the silver; so it's not too much to fret over, but it's still the kind of oddity that people might see in their daily lives, so it adds a bit of realism there too.

I can't really see any boring parts of this segment, but that's just me. Altogether, this seems to be a great post.
  Nicely done, Punx! Post more when you can, okay?

#269 2008-08-06 03:10:34

punxnotdead

fuzzball1 wrote:

Cool Part. It Really Wasnt Boring At All.
How Much More Do You Have To Do In The Story?

Thank you. I'm glad to know it's not boring, though I still feel it's kindda silly and breaks the overall mood I had set.
I have about 30 more pages left...or three more chapters. It's not alot, but I may surprise myself and continue to expand on it.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#270 2008-08-06 04:47:39

South_Munjoy

I've liked the last few scenes quite a bit as well. --If you ever do a rewrite, it might be cool  to see Alex try pass himself off as a dog by hamming it up as a goofy dog in the laudromat, (jumping up on people, licking their faces and such) before he runs off with the clothes. --This may be hard to pull off correctly though, considering his dire straits and level of desparation.

Last edited by South_Munjoy (2008-08-06 05:01:37)

#271 2008-08-07 00:37:00

LoupGarouAngel
Website

I loved that section!It was a nice change,not to severe,but smoothly done indeed.Only boutn three more chapters?Exciting stuff,can't wait for more?big_smile

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#272 2008-08-09 02:53:17

punxnotdead

Thank you all for the support! I thought I'd post more, as I don't know when I will be able to.

He ran until he was certain he was a far enough distance from the building. Surely someone within Crowell’s elite army would know about the incident.

The swathes of clothes bundled in his jaws made it difficult to breathe, much less navigate. But he kept an unfaltering grasp on his only means of clothing until he came to a silent neighbourhood. The peaceful homes were adorned with snowmen, Christmas lights, and various other related objects. For a moment, his gut twisted painfully at the consideration of being alone. It was only days from Christmas morning and the consideration of spending it alone made tears prickle his eyes. But he choked back the tears, his teeth burying further into the fabric to prevent a howl from ripping from his throat. 

He cautiously gazed around for any signs of activity, noticing that the sky was already beginning to darken to a navy hue. He greeted the short days and long nights, as they provided him with adequate shelter from enquiring eyes.

The moon with lightly obscured by a flimsy wall of white clouds, allowing the blazing intensity to flood the earth below. The houses were cast in a chalky glow, allowing enough light so Alex could see with ease, but provide enough darkness to remain concealed. There was no one. He could smell nothing for hundreds of meters along and hear nothing but the distant whirr of cars on the main street.

His large paws bounced lightly off of the crusted snow, which was now beginning to re-freeze. This way, he didn’t have to utilize extra reserves of energy ploughing through the heap of snow. He increased his pace to a trot, weaving past houses and through yards until he came to a vast, empty clearing. It was adorned with a couple of old pine trees, but other than that, there was nothing.
Situating himself behind a tree, he released the mouthful of clothes from his maw, allowing them to briefly rest on the snow-laden ground while he reversed the shift to human form.

Several grunts and growls later, Alex was now human. He hastily gathered the bundle of clothes and began examining them, the winter’s frigid temperatures failing to bite into his tough flesh.
His brows furrowed as he examined the clothing, holding it to his bare chest. The first shirt belonged to someone in their youth. He surmised to be eleven. He growled and discarded it to the ground.
But the second, greying shirt was larger. He chuckled slightly as he read the lettering. I yam what I yam, and slipped it on. The taut fabric constricted his shoulders, causing him to hold his breath. However, when he inhaled, he heard the fabric rip as the seams struggled to maintain the pressure. Thankfully, they did. He groaned uncomfortably as he yanked on the collar, feeling it ride up into his throat.

Content with the shirt, he sifted through the remaining clothing. Disappointment and slight embarrassment flushed his cheeks as he probed at his only two options. A pair of tapered denim jeans, which looked to be two sized too small, but he was certain he could somehow slip into them.
His second option was a pair of black jogging pants, with pink lettering scrolled on the rear, which read, Juicy. He grimaced as he assessed the two pairs and reluctantly chose the jogging pants.
If ever the shift occurred, the pants would accommodate his hefty stature.

Having no shoes or jacket to deter the wind, he cursed inwardly as he scampered through the snow and towards Main Street for the salted and snow-free ground.

Nearly an hour later, Alex arrived at the center of the city, where it was densely populated. Though there were such large masses of people, they seldom paid heed to appearances, more engrossed in their busy work schedules. He briefly considered shifting once again back to his wolf form, but refrained, as it might call unnecessary attention to himself.

He was now strolling down a strip of shops, gazing vacantly into the inviting structures. Unlike the other stores in the ramshackle area of town, these were elegant and pleasing. It had been too long since he had visited such, he noted.
Running his finger along the glass window of a pub, something caught in the corner of his eye. It took two takes before it captured his undivided attention.
He gasped and pressed his face and hands around the window for a better view.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#273 2008-08-10 14:14:26

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Juicy Sweat Pants. Eeeww.

I appreciate the realism you added to this scene - at least he found something he could wear; that in itself is hitting pay dirt, if you take my meaning. I also liked the description of his embarrassment, but he forced himself to get through it.

And I'm really looking forward to finding out what it is he saw in the window!
  Keep it coming, Punx!

#274 2008-08-15 02:16:28

punxnotdead

Initially, he thought he misinterpreted the television in the distance, afraid it was a figment of his imagination. But as he gazed hopefully at the screen, he was certain of what he was witnessing.
The flat screen television was situated at the far left corner of the pub, but Alex was able to catch a glimpse at the headline.
Codoxin cover-up?

His heart lurched in his chest and a swell of joy flitted in his gut. He pursed his lips together to maintain a neutral expression to those who passed, but as he neared the pub door to enter, he allowed a brief smile to flash on his face.
As he opened the pub, he was overwhelmed with bright lights and warm air grazing his flesh. He inhaled, the air thick with the scents of pricey alcohol and cookies, which we lying on a platter near the front desk.

The pub was surprisingly vacant, save for a few scattered throughout. He surmised it to be from the frigid temperatures and snowfall warning.

As he entered, he was certain that every head was turned his way and the humming of chattering people ceased. Hard eyes probed him as he entered; already passing premature judgement. But he shrugged and replied, “Pyjama party.”

The men and women accepted his statement, but continued their bewildered stares. Just weeks prior to the torrent of incidents, Alex would often visit such places, sporting his suit and tie.

Alex was intent on reaching the television before the news was over. However, he didn’t want to rush and cause any attention to himself. On the way, he grabbed a handful of cookies and situated himself on the barstool in front of the television, watching intently.

A young male reporter stood in front of the camera, announcing the latest news. Though Alex had missed a portion, he was able to watch the last few minutes.

“...A reporter from Starz Magazine published the latest issue just this morning. It has sparked an inferno of allegations, potentially threatening Tom Crowell’s candidate availability. There has been no word yet from his representative, but we can anticipate this single letter to irrevocably taint his vast empire. More news on the allegations later tonight.” After a brief pause, the reporter smiled and wished everyone a safe Christmas and the program ended.

Alex sat intently in front of the television, stupefied. Was this a dream? Surely something this good could not happen to him. But as he milled the words through his mind, joy sprang in his gut. For a brief moment, he wanted to leap from his chair and howl and joyous tune. But he refrained from doing so, calming himself and ensuring that there was still a far ways to go.

His only hope now for his plans to go as intended was to hear any news about potential news conferences. He was certain that Crowell would arrange one. Not only to cram his lies down the media’s throat, but to hopefully reap the benefits of the spotlight.

With a cold chill rippling down his spine, Alex’s turned away from the television and exited the pub.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#275 2008-08-15 10:49:39

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very nicely described here, Punx.
  At long last - at very long last - Alex can take steps forward in his plans, instead of backward. By now, the reader is either cheering for him or calling out "It's about time!" while they read this chapter. Very well done!
  The descriptions you used about his uncertainty that something could be going his way is a great addition. Things have been going wrong for so long that he's bound to distrust any positive developments, but the way you described hope and joy swelling in his gut was enough to have the same happen to the reader. Great Job!

By the way - his comment about a pajama party was wonderfully resourceful and imaginative, and I really really liked it.

Heheh - Crowell's gonna go down! Woohoo!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-15 10:51:15)

Board footer