The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#276 2008-08-15 11:31:16

archenemyfan
Website

Re: Werewolf in the shadows

I've been keeping track of this story on the z3 site and I wish you posted it on there more often...
And yeah, THIS IS AN AWESOME STORY PUNX!!!

If you are a true werewolf believer, join this site! (I'm Archy there too!) http://z3.invisionfree.com/Werewolf_Home/index.php?
It doesn't matter where we die...
It doesn't matter that you cry....
WE WILL TAKE YOU WITH US...

#277 2008-08-19 04:13:03

punxnotdead

Unlike the other site, I've decided to post the whole scene, since all of the pages can fit into one post. Sorry if it's long, but inspiration struck and I don't know when I'll post next.Thank you, Grayle and Arch. It means alot to me.

Janis was situated on her leather couch, her legs dangling over the edge as her laptop rested on her abdomen. She sipped a cup of hot coffee, curled up beneath a warm blanket. The lights within her large condo were dimmed, replaced with the incandescent glow of multi-coloured Christmas lights. Though a tree wouldn’t fit in her over-cluttered living room, she lavishly decorated it with mistletoe, stuffed Santa’s and golden ribbons. Though she cared little for the over-materialized holiday, she felt compelled to participate in some manner.

The sky was dark, nearly black, she noted, with no indication of moonlight or stars. The only visible object outside was her porch and yard, which was illuminated by Christmas lights.

Her eyes darted across the page as she scrolled through an article explaining the Codoxin drug. Though she had already published her article, she was compelled to know more about the drug and its potential effects. She had even skipped out on a Christmas party to focus on gathering further information. ‘I don’t care much for parties, anyways,’ she mused internally, ‘they’re too...noisy. Plus, I won’t have to worry about the chocolate temptation.’

After her interview with Crowell, she felt compelled to unveil the dark secrets that dwell beneath the Codoxin drug. And the threat, heh, she was the most powerful reporter in the city. She practically owned the company.

From initial assessment, it appeared to be a flawless report, but as she pondered, she was certain that something was missing.

She took another sip of her coffee, her brows furrowed in deep contemplation. The main ingredient, as reported, was Creatine Phosphate.
Creatine Phosphate provided energy for the muscles by replenishing ADP into ATP. It would not account for stimulating the muscles to grow, nor for the muscles to be one hundred percent efficient, as Crowell had told her.

She scrolled through the page, fatigue beginning to tug at the corners of her mind. She hadn’t had proper sleep in days – not since the interview. She convinced herself to get some sleep once she finished her initial assessment. In the morning, she’d resume her research.

As her nimble fingers continued to clack away on the keyboard, she was unaware of the looming danger behind her. Three men skulked along the walls like creeping death. They were only feet from her, their feet failing to make a sound and muffled by the thick carpeting.

Janis continued, oblivious to the danger until something sounded directly behind her. Perhaps it was the overload of caffeine that alerted her. Whatever the reason, she readjusted her laptop and glanced the unmistakable mirror image of a SWAT-clad man approaching. His image danced on the screen as he wielded a weapon in his hand, nearly stooping over her.

Her heart leapt in her throat and she gripped her laptop in trembling hands. A scream threatened to part from her lips, but she bit it back and waited for the opportune moment to strike. She could hear the man’s uneven breaths issuing from behind her, causing the hairs along her neck to hackle.
She inhaled sharply, her muscles gorged with adrenaline as she made her move.

As the man attempted to immobilize her, she leapt forwards, clutching her laptop and swinging around to face her attacker. With all of the strength she could summon, she thrust her laptop toward the man’s face and was rewarded by a loud slap of machinery against bone.
A throaty yowl ripped through the air as the soldier clutched his eye and doubled over.

But Janis was horrified at what she saw. There were two more of them! Disillusion flooded her face as two soldiers sprang forward, armed with lethal looking batons.
Her heart flittered as she allowed a shrill scream to escape her quivering lips, but continued her seemingly impossible endeavour to escape.

The nearest soldier lunged over the couch, his hard, black eyes visible through his face mask.

Janis hastily searched for any means of escape, seeing the window as her only hope. With a surge of strength, she hurled into it, feeling the glass give way with a deafening shatter. As she did so, she could feel the jagged shards bite into her shoulder. Blood seeped from the wound, but she ignored the pain the seared up her shoulder and attempted to climb through the window to safety.
Though the hole was small, she used her two elbows as leverage to heave herself through the window and to the frigid outside.

She cursed audibly as she attempted to force her lithe body through the gap. She was nearly out. She could hear the two other soldiers shrieking behind her.
But before Janis could make her escape, the nearest soldier seized a handful of her hair and pulled her inward.

She screamed and fought against the man’s grip, hoping it would relinquish, but it never did. She could scarcely feel the pain that pulsed through her skull, as the adrenaline thankfully obscured any pain. The man was pulling her in. She could feel her hands losing purchase on the slippery glass. She had to do something.

Grasping on as tightly as she could, she thrust her right foot back behind her, feeling her heel bury into the man’s chest. A whoosh of air escaped his lungs as he staggered back, his grip faltering.

No longer restrained, Janis lunged through the hole before the other man could catch her, and her tender skin abrading against the sharp glass.
She landed six feet below in a heap of snow, grateful that it eased her descent, but she cursed as it slowed her pace. Her body stiffened from the immediate rush of cold and she gasped.
Her breaths issued at radical intervals and her heart drummed sporadically in her chest. She got to her feet, feeling the cold numbing them quickly, and bolted forward. She was unsure of where she was headed, but she wanted anywhere away from danger. She didn’t care where.

Thoughts flitted through her mind faster than she could comprehend. Crowell had sent someone to kill her! He must have something to hide.

She ran blindly in the darkness towards the expansive lake that stretched out in front of her. As she did so, she screamed. Her throat ached from it, but she hoped – prayed – that someone was listening. There was no one for hundreds of yards. Her legs were heavy with exhaustion, but she loped through the snow, her meagre cloths drenched.

Safety seemed imminent as she glanced behind her. She spotted no one behind her. Her house was now a small glimmer of light on the horizon and there was no indication of anyone pursuing her.
Relief, however, was short-lived as her head swivelled back in front of her.
She stopped, her breath catching in her throat and her eyes growing wide.

A beast, unlike any other hovered in front of her. Though she could scarcely make out its physical features, she saw an incandescent yellow eye. The other milky blue eye gazed hollowly at her. Like two pools of molten lava, they probed her. The beast was, by far larger than her, and the contour of its rippling muscles made her quiver in fear. The beast’s massive chest heaved and it snorted audibly, plumes of fog rolling from its flared nostrils.

Unable to utter a word, she recoiled slightly from the muscled creature. Its broad muzzle lifted, peeling back its black lips and revealing a row of glimmering ivory fangs.
This was her fate, she knew, to die between the fangs of this monstrosity. ‘I knew I should have gone to the party,’ she pondered, horror-stricken and grief swelling in her gut.

She did not move, as any escape attempt would be futile. Instead, she stood and waited for death to claim her.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#278 2008-08-19 11:29:45

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Absolutely fantastic scene! Great pace, and the flow was flawless! It was so easy to picture the sequence in my mind that I had no trouble withstanding the distractions around me. I was totally captivated, completely enthralled. Very well told!

I appreciate the strength you gave to Janis as a character. She's observant and alert, both of which you'd expect from a reporter, but she's also brave and bold for writing the article; I guess you'd also expect that from a reporter. What's more, although you didn't make her into a great fighter, you did show her to be an opportunist, even when fighting. You've written her in a way that works very well - and is very believable, in my opinion.

And now she is faced with the truth - quite literally, actually. I can't wait to find out what you have for us next! This is Great, Punx!!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#279 2008-08-20 03:56:08

werer
Sniffer
Website

Wow, I can't say anything better than what Grayle can say, but I will say that it was fantastic, I can't wait to read more!

There's a method to my madness, and a madness to my method.
When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!
*Sniff sniff* I smell art! big_smile

#280 2008-08-22 22:36:39

punxnotdead

Thank you, guys! *Hugs*

Alex moved at a sluggish pace. He kept his head downcast and his eyes averted to ensure no one would recognize him. In a city such as this, few dared to look at one another, too engrossed in their daily ritual of texting or last minute work. Others were busy shopping, hoping to beat the afternoon rush that would follow.

It was early morning. The sun had begun to cling to the horizon, slowly ascending into the sky. The skyline was streaked with awe-inspiring hues of crimson, vermillion blues, and gold. Though no one noticed the seemingly insignificant orb in the sky, Alex gazed at the sunrise, marvelling in the beauty. He hoped to someday revel in the experience daily, away from the bustling cities and elsewhere, where he could enjoy the succulent odours the natural world provided – with a pack in tow and Steven at his side.

It made his heart ache at the consideration of never seeing him again – of never being able to apologize about the recent events – or even to enjoy the rest of their relationship together.

Throughout the years, he knew he had dwelt on materialistic goods in the hope of finding consolation, but he knew now what he needed – companionship. Whether it be a pack or not, he needed the support.

The sidewalks were glazed with a thin sheet of ice from the late night thawing and early morning cold. He could see his reflection, seeing how homely he looked. His hair was overgrown and the indication of another beard was becoming visible.

He averted his eyes back to eyelevel, gazing into all of the stores and running his fingers along the brick surfaces. Though he gazed through the window, it was not set on anything in particular. It was a vacant glance as he was in deep contemplation. He milled the plan through his mind, knowing it was far from perfect but his only hope to rescue his friends. He was unsure of their fate, but he was hopeful that they would remain alive as long as he continued to evade Crowell. Though, he wasn’t certain how long that would last. From what Olivia had told him, there were hundreds of willing hunters roaming throughout the city, eager to claim money for the capture of a werewolf.

As he continued to amble down the busy street, with people brushing past him, he stopped. Through the window, he spotted another television set on a news station. Though a commercial was playing at the moment, his curiosity was insatiable. He furrowed his brows and glanced inside. The restaurant was wild with activity, so he was certain that he could slip in and catch any news without being noticed.

He slithered inside of the relatively small restaurant, the pleasing odours of delicious food flitting up his nostrils. The putrid odours of sweaty bodies were masked by the intoxicating odour and he began to salivate. Ignoring his persistent hunger, he lumbered to the front of the pub-themed restaurant and seated himself, as he had done the previous night. Though the crowd of people roared with laughter and squealed, he was able to attune his hearing towards the television.

The waitresses were too busy attending to other customers, that they failed to notice Alex, which he was thankful for. He could not risk it – now that he was so close.

After nearly half an hour of watching the television, he saw no indication of the Codoxin scandal. But as he was prepared to exit the clamouring restaurant, a headline caught his attention. Beneath the initial topic, he saw words passing by the screen. His chest tightened when he read the by-line.
Janis Johnson, age 29, was discovered dead early this morning outside of her lakeside home. The cause of death has yet to be determined, but there is suspicion of an animal attack.

An animal! Alex felt his jaw muscles leap as he clenched his teeth together. He was certain that no animal was responsible. Then another consideration struck him.
“Crowell,” he snarled aloud, but the menacing growl was drowned out by the cacophony of people.
He used a werewolf as his puppet in his biddings. ‘Why would it do such a thing?’ He thought in exasperation. But knowing Crowell, he was a persuasive man.

Anger welled in his gut, growing and spreading like an infectious disease. He could feel claws beginning to protrude from his fingernails and slicing into the cherry wood bar table. His spine rippled and his muscles clenched in anticipation. Then, the sinister darkness whispered in his ear. Revenge.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#281 2008-08-25 00:18:31

punxnotdead

Chapter 24
Alex looked to the darkening sky, despair flashing in his emerald eyes. His brows furrowed as he examined the approaching moon. His eyes averted to the sunset and dread filled the empty void in his gut. The sky was as scarlet as blood and the chill, colder than death, engulfed the city. He shivered and a chill rippled down his spine. As he exhaled, columns of fog issued from his lips. But it was not from the frigid temperatures. It was fear.

He stood in front of an expansive stretch of oblivion, gazing as the snow, too, was cast in a crimson shadow, foreboding of the blood that would be spilt. He was situated just outside of the city, where the frozen, vast lake glimmered in the residual daylight. A mile out, he saw the small, but distinct bulge on the horizon. It was Crowell’s laboratory – the heart of the Codoxin project and where Steven was held...he hoped.

He tilted his head, resting it against the brick structure of the many buildings bordering the city. It was accompanied by numerous others, which were positioned in a uniform queue.
He inhaled slowly, savouring the scents that dwelt beyond the city. Though the vast emptiness appeared devoid of any life, he could smell the sweet pungent odours of grass underfoot and the spruce trees surrounding the lake. But relief was short-lived as he was hurled back into reality.

He clenched his fists together, praying that the sun would never sink below the horizon, hoping that time would suspend. But a flitter of grief swelled in his chest as he saw the last indication of a sun in the sky and engulfed in darkness. When darkness fell, he would begin his trek.
In the meantime, he milled the plan through his mind and images of those he wished to save. His heart was heavy with worry. ‘What if I don’t save them? All of my efforts will have been futile,’ he pondered, uncertain.

But a renewed strength clung to his worrisome mind. He was a strong, stealthy beast of the night. He could move with unfathomable speed, dodge bullets, and strike with lethal power. He glanced at his human hands under the dying light, relishing in the thought of two inch talons protruding from his blunt fingernails and masses of rippling fur and muscle engross his body. And the sense of smell. Though in human form, he could smell odours that a human could never begin to comprehend. 

His eyes, now flashing golden, looked to the sky and he allowed a powerful howl to tear from his throat.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#282 2008-08-25 08:02:41

werer
Sniffer
Website

Love how it's working out, it's getting very tense with all the happenings.

When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!

#283 2008-08-25 14:13:34

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Once again, you provide your readers with delicious descriptions in each and every scene - from the streets to the restaurant to the view of the sunscapes, all of them are vivid and depicted brilliantly.
  Show us how it's done, Punx. big_smile

I just thought of something story-wise that you could play with in Alex's mind as he's getting ready to infiltrate the Laboratory. Again, this is just an idea; it's not even a suggestion.
  Janis is a top reporter that writes a denouncing article on Codoxin, then is found dead - a victim of yet another animal attack which have been on the rise recently. Not only would the circumstances of her death be suspicious, but her being killed right after her article's release would be just the kind of thing that other newshounds couldn't avoid. They might begin to add their comments, which would only antagonize Crowell even more, forcing him to face the public.
  You see, through Crowell's presumption in having Janis killed, it could blossom into a much better diversion than Alex could ever have hoped for. 
  You could explore that a little between the restaurant scene and the sunset scene if you wanted, describing how the news media explodes with the allegations and speculations, pictures of Crowell avoiding the media, and his representatives repeatedly saying 'no comment,' news teams waiting outside his building in the city like sharks in a feeding frenzy...
  Again, just an idea.

Nevertheless, We're definitely getting down to the nitty-gritty here, and there's no way on earth that anyone reading this story couldn't be on the edge of their seat, eagerly awaiting the final showdown.
  Extremely well done, Punx!

#284 2008-08-26 01:54:21

punxnotdead

Thank you, thank you!! Grayle, I will most definately take your advice. It makes so much sense to do that. I have already included a small indication of the news jumping at any opportunity...but I should add more, as you suggested.
Thank you!! big_smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#285 2008-08-27 16:48:32

punxnotdead

This is realllllly long. I apologize sad

Chapter 25
The sun had now completely disappeared, as with any remnants of light. A half moon clung to the sky, as golden and fierce as his bullion eyes. Thick clouds surrounding the moon choked out any indication of starlight. The vast canopy of white was engulfed in complete darkness. Alex was grateful for his night vision as he scoured the vicinity. Besides the tumbling of snow from the fierce wind, he saw no activity and smelled nothing.

As he inhaled, the frigid air seared his nostrils, but he embarked on his task to reach the laboratory. As he took a step forward, his foot plunged knee-deep into an accumulation of powdery snow. ‘Damn,’ he cursed mentally, trudging through the snowy terrain. He persisted forward at a comfortable pace. The desire for the shift throbbed within him, causing a ripple of heat to flood his body. He could feel the prickle of coarse fur prepared to jut through his pores – to protect his more fragile skin. But Alex refrained.

He had to wait for the precise moment before doing so. From afar, his massive body could be spotted, despite the darkness. For now, he continued his arduous endeavour to reach the building, his stomach roiling and his hands beginning to tremor. ‘No, no, no,’ his doubtful mind persisted with each footfall, but his need to save them propelled him onward.

He staggered numerous times, doubt increasing with every footstep. He cursed audibly, wiping his soiled hands on his undersized shirt. He was now beginning to feel the cold ebbing through his flesh. It was well below freezing; able to kill a man within minutes, but his toughened skin was adept to such temperatures – however, not for such lengths of time.
His teeth chattered, but hope prompted him as the massive building amplified. Though the height was comparatively short to the Grande building, it was wide, easily the size of a football field.

He was only minutes from the structure, his eyes sweeping across the vicinity for the soldiers. He could smell their odours amidst the wind as it flitted up his nostrils. And though the wind whistled in his ears, he could hear the slight clamour of human activity ahead.
Once he neared the building, he probed it, keeping his body low to the ground. His muscles were flexed in apprehension as he gazed at it. The building was surrounded by chain-link fence, which loomed twenty feet high. Even in his werewolf form, he could not leap such heights, unless he climbed.

Only a few soldiers were scattered throughout the area surrounding the building. They looked like ants from afar. A brief swell of joy flushed through him. There would be fewer soldiers to elude. The front of the building was protected by four guards. Two were situated at the front doors, while two others were guarding the only opening to the gates. Their heads swivelled around occasionally to ensure no signs of escapees or intruders. There were numerous lamp posts situated at the front gates, illuminating the otherwise dark snow in a chalky glow. The soldiers would be able to spot him with ease if he took that route.

Discouraged, he snuck to the back of the building. It was comparatively dark, most of the area sheathed beneath a shadow. He was able to see with great lucidity. His lupine eyes scoured the largely unprotected area, content that no soldiers lingered. His lips twitched into a smirk as got to his feet and slunk around the back, ensuring to keep a far and safe distance from danger.

Within moments, he reached the back of the fence, his feet inching along to ground to avoid the frozen lake that stretched miles outward. At this point, his bare skin was red from wading through the snow for such lengthy periods of time. His clothes were wet from melted snow and a frigid breeze made him shudder. His eyes swept across the area warily. There were no dogs. He surmised the temperatures to be intolerable to them.

The back of the building, he noted, had a small entrance and excitement wriggled in his gut. Though sheathed beneath darkness, he could see the metal door thirty feet away. His muscles rippled as adrenaline shot through his body. His breathing increased and his heart began to hammer wildly. This was it, he thought, the deciding moment. He gazed behind him at the vast canopy of snow. ‘I could turn back now,’ a whisper muttered in his head, ‘I could forget about them. It’s not too late.’ For a moment, he was conflicted, his brows furrowing as his eyes darted from left to right.

But as the images of his friend flashed in his mind, he knew what must be done. He ignored the miniscule whispers of doubt buzzing in his head and peered up at the towering fence. It was tipped with barbed wire. It would have difficulty puncturing his skin, so he did not fear the jagged points.

He inhaled sharply, closing his eyes momentarily before grasping the chain-link fence. He wove his fingers through the diamond shape holes, hoping to ease himself upward. But as his fists curled around the metal, a pain seared through his flesh, like a flash of lightening shooting through his arm. He gasped and released the fence, his face contorted with pain and bewilderment. Then he drew his hands to his face to examine his palms. The skin was angry red where the metal had touched his skin, as if corrosive.

Though initially perplexed, realization settled in and he allowed an audible curse to roll off his tongue. “Silver,” he snarled, both fearful and angry.

He soothed his burning hands in the snow, allowing himself to ponder momentarily for any way through the impermeable fence. His eyes swept the vicinity for any indication of weakness in the fence. He saw nothing. He combed his fingers through his short chestnut hair, sighing with frustration. But as he did so, his eyes settled on a poplar tree ahead. Though scarce, there were enough for him to make a clean leap over the fence.

He hoped his plan would succeed. The poplar tree was no more than thirty feet high, situated fifteen feet from the fence. He had no other choice. He sauntered towards the tree, gazing upward at the naked branches. They were high set, but he was certain he could reach them.

His fingers reached for the lowest branch and were able to scantily grasp the thin branch. His right hand, fastened around the limb, heaved him up for his left hand to fasten around another twig. He succeeded, his feet dangling off the ground and trying to gain purchase on the smooth surfaced stem. His feet flailed as they unsuccessfully grappled along the tree and he cursed loudly. The twigs he had grasped were creaking and bending under the pressure, prepared to give way at any moment.

He allowed thick claws to protrude from his toenails, burying deep into the soft interior of the tree. Sweat accrued on his brow and his breaths came out in short, sporadic intervals. His feet, no longer swaying, gained purchase on the tree and he kicked upward. He nearly missed the other tree branch, gasping as his hands scrabbled to grip.

Finally, he was able to ascend the unsteady tree with great vigour, ignoring the splintering of branches giving way. He was nearly at the top and when he looked down, his stomach roiled. His mind flooded with disorientation and he almost lost his grip from the tree branch. It was so far!

His hind legs and hands met on a larger branch, which did not protest, but remained sturdy and silent. His eyes were wide with apprehension and his talons gripped the branch with terrifying force. His face flushed with blood, making him lightheaded as he gazed at the ground. The fence was so far away. Doubt. The persistent omen in his endeavours had reoccurred. Only now, it was stronger than ever.

He swallowed a hard lump in his throat as he gazed at the distance. “I can do this, I can do this,” he repeated, muffling the screaming uncertainty in his mind. “Don’t look at the ground. Just jump.” He told himself, inching to the end of the branch. His hands were now trembling as his balance was faltering. He shut his eyes tightly, blood roaring in his ears. “C’mon,” he urged, “do it for them.”
He opened his eyes and peered ahead of him. He inhaled sharply, curling his muscles and sprang, uncoiling and stretching out.

The fear was immense as he dropped towards earth. The fence was so close. ‘I’m not going to make it!’ He thought with horror. Snow whirled in front of him and he could hear the sickening tear of fabric as his left thigh snagged the barbed wire. A pain rippled up his flesh and he knew he had been injured. The barbed wire caused his body to involuntarily twist, his back facing the earth as he dropped. It had done little to ease his descent as his body hit the ground.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#286 2008-08-28 18:47:39

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Wow Oh Wow, Punx! You really let loose the dogs of description here!

Virtually every paragraph had a wonderful phrase or wordage that I appreciated, and it went in tune with the loneliness and desperation that Alex was going through. I found it interesting that you surprised us all with the 'secret ingredient' to the fence - instead of being electrified, it was silver-fied. I also loved his resourceful compensation with the tree - talk about 'thinking on your paws'!

Even so, he did not escape the obstacle unscathed - in fact, we don't even know if he made it over the fence. I certainly hope he did - the only other options are to dig under the fence or sneak past the guards, and we've already had an emotionally trying time getting onto the grounds as it is. Nonetheless, he's so close that we can't help but hold on to see what you have in store next.

Very nice, Punx! Very nice indeed!

#287 2008-08-29 23:52:34

punxnotdead

Thank you so much, Grayle!! You make me feel so good. I only have pages left before the epilogue sad I'm gonna hate to end this. This will be my only post today on this forum, as it's late and I have to wake up at 5:30am sad

Chapter 26
All of the breath escaped his lungs as he landed excruciatingly on his ribs. It pained him, but was minute in comparison to his leg. He lay in the heap of snow, feeling powdery flakes flit up and rest on his face. His arms were bent beside him and his legs were sprawled outward. He gazed skyward, observing the blazing silver moon. He breathed, the sound of his breath filling his ears until he summoned enough energy to sit himself up. Though he wished to remain in the unusually comfortable heap, he knew what must be done.

He had situated himself in a sitting position and gasped when he tried to move his left leg. He already knew it was bad when he saw the snow stained pink with blood. He grimaced as he lifted the shredded remains of the pant leg to inspect the wound. It seeped a dark liquid, dribbling down his thigh and to the snow. Though initially worried about the extent of the damage, he noticed the wound was relatively shallow, but very tender.

The injury would take several hours to heal, in which time the sun would rise and his endeavours would be foiled. He bit back a wail as he forced himself to his feet, limping as he made his way to a green electric box ten feet away. He would have to cut the power before he could enter.
He sauntered towards it, favouring his left leg, but was pleased as it regained mobility.

The electric box hummed with activity, revealing danger signs and safety precautions. But Alex paid little heed to the warning and curled his clawed fingernails around the locked electric case. With little effort, he tore back the door, hearing the metal squeal and warp beneath his fingertips.
He had found what he was looking for. The inside was adorned with switches and wires controlling the building and he shuddered with anticipation.

He examined his talons, relishing in the thought of them tearing through the wires, slicing through metal and devouring it – imagining it to be Crowell.

However, before he could continue with his intended plan, a voice crooned in the silence. “I wouldn’t do that if I were you.”

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#288 2008-09-01 23:36:49

punxnotdead

I may as well post the next segment before the start of school.

Chapter 27
A horror, unlike any other writhed in chest. He exhaled sharply, his eyes wide as his body stiffened. He was in a stupor. His hands trembled and cursed himself for being so fearful. With great force, he wheeled around, leaping back from source of the sound. Was it Crowell coming to kill him? The consideration was like a splash of frigid water down his back.

No, he assured himself. The voice is too raspy.  Though slightly relieved, his eyes swept along the darkness, coming to rest on a short, yet lightly muscled man. His heart fluttered.

Alex’s brows furrowed with perplexity and his face dropped. “Shubert,” he snarled in a half inquisitive voice.

A gnarled smile twisted on the grisly remnants of Shubert’s face. His face was sunken and lined with shiny white scars where teeth had gnawed it to the bone. And his throat was puckered with scars, disappearing beneath a white t-shirt. His left eye gazed vacantly back at Alex, a pallid milky blue hue. The pupil was scarcely visible beneath the blind eye, while the other eye blazed a golden hue.
“You like the look?” he joked mildly and chortled as he approached.

Alex snarled a warning, baring his lengthening teeth.

Shubert raised his arms unthreateningly and halted, his demeanour sombre. “I’m not here to harm you,” he informed reassuringly, “I want to help you.”

“Why would you want to help me?” Alex enquired, his eyes scouring the vicinity for an escape. The longer he stalled, the more likely back-up would arrive. He had to make it hasty, whether it meant repeating earlier actions.

The unfazed segment of Shubert’s face contorted as he spoke, as if painful to recollect. “When you attacked me, you nearly killed me. His men were able to come to my aid in time.” His voice was scratchy as he continued, gazing downward. “They thought I’d be in the hospital for months, but within days I began to heal. Though the scars are obvious, I had made a full recovery in over a day. And that’s when Crowell arrived...” his voice broke off and he cleared his throat. “He found out I had become a...werewolf. He was going to have his men kill me, but I managed to escape before they could do anything.”
His bronze eye smouldered with unconstrained fury. “I trusted him. He promised me a better life and this is what I got in return.” His nose curled in disgust. His face was sombre as he continued. “I apologize for any harm I brought to you or your friend.”

Alex was still wary, his voice issuing deeper than he would have liked, “Crowell’s a very persuasive man.” He knew what Crowell was capable of and this didn’t seem too far-fetched. But another question nagged him. “How were you able to become a werewolf? A bite doesn’t usually...” He was cut off as Shubert interrupted.

“Because you were exposed to the drug, a portion remained latent in your DNA. When you bit me, your saliva transmitted the ailment to me.” He replied.

Alex’s brows knitted and slowly his muscles began to relax. He heard no shuffling of approaching feet, only the roaring of the wind beating the building. Shubert’s right eye was a deep bullion shade, the trademark of lycanthropes. And when his scent flitted up his nose, he was certain of Shubert’s claims. His odour was more prominent than a normal human, as many werewolves were. He had only discovered that a few weeks prior.

“How can you help me?” Alex questioned, cautious, nonetheless.

Shubert grinned, extracting a sleek, glistening key card from his pocket. “I can get you access to the building. If you cut the power, the place will be swarming with soldiers before you can reach the first room. But...” He said, ambling to the power box and kneeling in front of it, “If you cut just one wire, they’ll never suspect a thing.”

Despite his screaming vigilance, Alex neared the box, inspecting it. “Which one do I cut?”

“The surveillance cameras,” he muttered, lifting a blue wire from the heap of others. He lifted his hand in front of him, watching with slight amusement as talons slithered from his fingertips. He slashed the air, severing the one cord in a swift movement. “There,” he muttered, “now we can enter.”

Shubert got to his feet, and Alex followed suite, more curious than cautious.

Shubert handed Alex his key card, “here,” he prompted, “you’ll need it along the way.” He smiled courteously.

Alex grasped the key card, but was uncertain. “Why can’t you do it?”

“Because,” he responded, “I need to keep an eye out here for any signs of danger.”

Alex nodded, his stomach clenching as he turned from Shubert and approached the small entrance to the building. His instinct warned him not to turn his back, but Alex ignored the persistent pang, clutching the card firmly in sweaty palms as he approached the door. This was his only opportunity. He glanced behind him and saw Shubert continuing to smile back.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#289 2008-09-02 13:03:55

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Heavy things happening in the snowfall...

Well, it's certainly good to know that Alex's leg is healing. Even so, it was a high cost for getting over the fence. it will be interesting to see if it hinders his efforts later on.  I also adored your simile about the consideration being like a splash of water on his back - that was terrific!

Shubert's outcome was quite a surprise - not only his plight but his return! And yet the way you've written his return gives the reader every reason to not trust him - especially when considering recent deaths in the area and Shubert's current appearance, and also the fact that he cut the cameras but not the alarms. Of course, I may be reading too much into it, but we'll see.

I did find a few spelling anomalies, but noting to worry about. You'll catch them in the next draft.

Nonetheless, without explicitly saying it you've let the anticipation blossom into foreboding tension as Alex makes his way into the facility, which only captures the reader's attention all over again.

Wonderful Job, Punx! Keep it coming!

#290 2008-09-06 00:24:46

punxnotdead

The hairs along the back of his neck hackled and yet he continued. Every instinct in his body told him to flee. His stomach was knotted with anticipation and he clenched his fist at his side, white knuckled.

He reluctantly swiped the card through the electronic device, hearing it beep as it allowed him access. He inhaled sharply and entered.
His eyes were blasted with a blaze of intense light, causing him to wince and recoil. He staggered as he took his first few steps in, the warmth greeting him and numerous scents registering in his over-stimulated brain. 

He managed to regain his composure, however, before he could take another step, a gun clicked behind him – the sound of metal slamming a bullet and something whistling through the air.

He was too slow to react as something pelted into his throat. He gasped, spluttering from the jolt of pain in the back of his neck. His shoulder struck the wall as he attempted to dodge the projectile, but it had buried deep into his flesh. Staggering and muttering curses, he lifted his hand, which grazed on a pointed object protruding from the back of his neck. It parted from his flesh with ease and he brought it in front of him.

It was a small bullet shaped projectile with a thin, pointed end. A tranquilizer! Fear struck him like a freight train, engulfing his body like a raging inferno.

As he probed the dart, it flickered in and out of focus, the first effects of the drug. His brows furrowed with screaming concentration as he attempted to whirl around – to face his attacker. The effects of the drug were immediate. His feet shuffled idly along the ground, though he wished to flee. He took a step forward and fear consumed him. His legs trembled as they struggled to keep him erect and his arms grappled along the walls to gain purchase. The substance had hindered his ability to shift.

The world was growing dim, as if someone had hurled a blanket over the room, plunging it into complete darkness. He staggered, his feet giving way as he plummeted to the ground. His muscles, paralyzed, were unable to ease his descent and his face smashed into the ground, spewing blood on the white floors.

His mind ground to a halt and all he was able to hear was the empty buzzing of his own mind. As he blinked, his world was cast further into a dark, hazy nightmare. He spluttered as footfalls approached and Shubert’s sly grin came into sight, blurred but unmistakable. “I guess Crowell is a persuasive man,” he crooned as blissful darkness engulfed Alex.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#291 2008-09-06 00:33:02

werer
Sniffer
Website

Finally caught up. Great work!

#292 2008-09-06 01:28:22

Nightstalker

Hey, I've just been reading your story for the past few days & all I can say is just.... wow
Never read anything like it. Very original & much taken aback from the norm of lycanthrope stories.
Can't wait for another segment,. Nice Job!

"Her anger, the aggression, those eyes... It's so lethal..."
"She is rapaz, first & foremost, remember that, especially when you come face to face with her"

#293 2008-09-06 12:37:58

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

It's amazing how correct and accurate that funny little voice in the back of our minds is all the time...

Very nice descriptions of the drug's effect on Alex, Punx. The blurs and buzzing in his head while he figured out what was happening to him, and the lack of response from his arms and legs - all of that was a terrific addition. The shiftiness you gave to Shubert in the previous posts really culminated in that last vision, with him coming up to Alex in petty triumph.

Very wonderful continuation, Punx! I can't wait to find out what Alex will find when he comes to!

#294 2008-09-07 20:14:34

punxnotdead

Nightstalker wrote:

Hey, I've just been reading your story for the past few days & all I can say is just.... wow
Never read anything like it. Very original & much taken aback from the norm of lycanthrope stories.
Can't wait for another segment,. Nice Job!

Thank you very much. It means alot to me big_smile I hope you'll continue to enjoy the rest of my story, though flawed as it is smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#295 2008-09-07 20:20:04

punxnotdead

Thank you very, very much, Grayle. I now present you with a new, longer addition:

Chapter 28 – Trapped
Heartbeats. He focused on the noise as it gradually amplified in sound, concentrating on whom it belonged to. They were slow and erythematic, like a precise drum playing in his head. It was his own heartbeat.

He inhaled, hearing the air whoosh down his larynx and through his trachea. His brows furrowed as a dull throbbing returned to the base of his skull. His eyelids weighed heavily on him and he struggled to open them. His mind was filled with a dull buzzing, with no recollection of previous events. Weariness filled his mind and he wished to sleep further, but the nagging headache and curiosity prompted him to rouse.

He moaned slightly, the sound of his own voice foreign to him. He moved his right hand to bring it to his throbbing forehead, but something stopped it. The sound of clanking metal filled his ears as he tugged on the unseen force tethering his wrists. He finally managed to open his eyes, wincing slightly as they adjusted to the light. But as he did so, he gasped. His wrist was shackled to the wall, connected by two feet of chains. Dread and realization consumed him. All of the recent night’s events reeled through his mind, and his eyes widened with horror.   

Silver seared the tender flesh around his wrist and he clenched his teeth together to contain the pain, trying not to scream. His jaw muscle leapt as he groaned, feeling his hands numbing in the cold and lack of circulation.
When he tore his gaze away, horror sliced through him as though someone had plunged a sliver dagger into his abdomen.

Two icy eyes, colder than death, peered back at him. A smile twisted on a smooth face, folding the skin.

Alex gasped, feeling a hard lump swell in his throat. “Crowell,” he muttered, horror engulfing him like a bath of frigid water.

Crowell chortled, satisfaction gleaming in his sapphire eyes. They taunted Alex, revealing his demise. “You were a slippery fish, my friend,” he responded in a voice less that cordial, “but with a little poke in the right direction, I was certain you’d show here.”

Alex knitted his dark brows. “How?” Alex demanded angrily, wanting to know what went wrong, as though he could learn from future mistakes. But there would be no future mistakes, he knew. Not now that death was so imminent. This would be his last and worst mistake – trust.

“You see, when you encountered Jason, I was certain he’d tell you everything. He seems to have a knack of saying too much when in desperate situations.” Crowell stroked his clean shaven face, peering down at Alex over his hooked nose. “You naive mutt,” he exclaimed, flashing his white teeth in a sneer.

Alex’s fear ebbed away as a twinge of anger replaced it. The anger had gotten him here – the need for revenge had compelled him to act too hastily. ‘Stupid, stupid, stupid,’ he cursed himself mentally. If only he hadn’t listened to Shubert.

Breaking the mounting silence, Crowell turned away from Alex, clasping his hands behind his back, causing his black suit to ruffle. “Now that I’ve tied up all of the loose ends, the Codoxin project will continue as planned. Just imagine,” he mused aloud, his hands sweeping the air, “a life without famine, disease, or death. You and your gang were standing in the way of that,” his sapphire eyes gleamed with depravity, the vein in his forehead throbbing.
“Just imagine how many lives will be saved...” he was cut off as Alex interrupted him.

“Or destroyed,” Alex grunted, no longer fearing what Crowell would do with him – for the time being. “What you did to me,” his voice quivered with vehemence, “that’s no utopia.”   

Crowell’s eyes danced with anger and hastily ambled towards Alex.

A wave of fear consumed Alex, but his face remained stony, refusing to reveal the flutter of terror in his chest. Before he could withdraw, Crowell’s foot slammed into Alex’s forearm, crushing it beneath the cement floor.

Alex yowled in pain, trying feverishly to bring his left arm to nurse his injured one. The constraints prevented him from reaching his arm and as he pulled harder against the shackles, he felt a shot of pain sear up his arm. The serrated shackles were beginning to bite into his flesh, drawing blood.

“Oh my,” Crowell muttered, feigning concern, but a glint of satisfaction was evident in his expression. When Alex exchanged menacing glances with him, Crowell shrugged. He peered around the room, “You deserve to be here,” he murmured and a flash of rage consumed Alex. “Considering what you’ve done, you deserve death more than anyone in this building. I know what you’ve done,” he whipped around, his eyes unsympathetic and accusing. He was referring to the lives that Alex had taken.

Alex tried unsuccessfully to hide the guilt on his face, “You’re no better. You killed Janis and dozens of others. What about them?”

Crowell puffed out his chest haughtily, “What I did was for the best for mankind. If I wasn’t here to hamper the population of werewolves, this world would be much worse off. Just imagine if you decided to turn against humanity. All the innocent lives that would be lost.” He spoke with fierce passion, which danced in his eyes.

Alex was enraged by Crowell’s sense of warped reality and retorted, “Just because your family was killed by a crazed lunatic it doesn’t mean we’re all the same.”

Crowell revolved to face Alex. Beneath the emotionless mask, he saw a flash of hurt in the man’s eyes, as though he hadn’t recovered from the loss. Realizing his mistake, Crowell stiffened and regained his composure. A wicked grin twisted on his face and his piercing gaze was settled on Alex – or rather, through Alex.

Alex shuddered under the intense gaze and Crowell seemed to pick up on it, his eyes cool and collected. “You will die tonight,” he murmured, relishing in Alex’s stricken face. As though teasing him, Crowell turned to the metal door and exited. He would make him wait apprehensively for death.

However, before he exited the room, Alex caught a glimpse of Crowell gingerly stroking his wedding ring.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#296 2008-09-08 15:45:35

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Absolutely gorgeous confrontation, Punx. The protagonist and antagonist face off, and the antagonist walks away, seemingly triumphant. It was dark, chilling, and yet it wasn't overplayed or melodramatic. It was downright perfect. Very very well-depicted!

I appreciated the description of the information that Alex's senses were giving him. He was listening to the sounds around him, and correlating them to the source.
  Ha! He was life-linking! Hahahahaha!!!!

I also loved the point that Alex made about Crowell's family in relation to other werewolves, and also the effect it had on Crowell, betrayed by his actions.
  Quite frankly, I don't see how this scene could have been any better in any way.

Great job, Punx; great job. Bring on some more when you can!

#297 2008-09-08 21:28:32

punxnotdead

I just have to thank you guys for those comments. My smile is literally bursting over the seams, so to speak.
big_smile
Thank you! I'll have more tomorrow smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#298 2008-09-15 12:31:17

punxnotdead

Here's more. It took forever to write again on this school computer, but I was adamant on getting more posted. My internet at home isn't working so updates may not be so frequent. My apologies.

Once Crowell departed, Alex spotted a quivering mass across the small enclosure. “Steven!” He shrieked. It was more of an enquiry than a statement, as Alex was unsure whether the brittle heap with his friend.

At once, Steven’s head jerked from his light slumber.

A knot welled in Alex’s throat at the sight of him. Steven’s hair was disheveled, his face riddled with bruises, a deep laceration above his eye brow, and his broken nose. His face was pale and stricken. His chest began to heave sporadically at the sight of Alex, his eyes devoid of their infectious laughter.

“What did they do to you?” Alex questioned, flabbergasted and exasperated.

Steven’s brows furrowed and concern filled his face. Ignoring the question, he spoke. “I was hoping they wouldn’t find you. Why didn’t you leave the city?” He questioned, anger, sadness and defeat evident in his voice.

Perplexed, Alex replied, “to save you.”

Steven chuckled, though merely to reveal the absurdity of the answer. He shook his head, “you should have left when you had the chance. You shouldn’t have tried to be a hero. Now we’re both going to die.” His voice was a hoarse whisper.

Alex shrugged, the thought bringing forth waves of fear, but he choked it down. “It’s better to die together than it is to die alone. At least you’ll have company,” he said lightly in a meager attempt to cheer Steven up.

“I guess,” he muttered, “but you should have left.” Steven was unconvinced.

Alex grimaced, “I couldn’t just leave you here. You’re all I have. It’s my fault for getting you into this. If it wasn’t for me, you’d still have a home to go to, a car to drive in…” he trailed off, his jaw muscles leaping to prevent him from sobbing. He sighed, hoping to regain his composure.

Steven gazed at Alex, his lips lifting in a weak smile. “It was worth it to be your friend,” and tears glistened in his eyes. He broke off.

Alex exhaled sharply, feeling hot tears prickle his eyes and scald his cheeks as they cascaded down his face. He shoed them away, shivering in the cold, dank room.

The fluorescent room hurt his eyes and the humming of electricity disturbed the silence. Through the metal walls and concrete floors, he could feel the frigid drafts of the cold outside air graze his flesh. The silver binding his wrists had weakened him. He could feel its poison snaking up his arm, and searing through his veins.

He moaned in discomfort as his arms were constrained, restricting much movement, but provided enough mobility that he could press his fingertips together over his bare chest. His shirt had been removed, exposing him further to the frigid chill. Even his pants were in tatters, but he was thankful that they remained. At least he was able to keep some of his dignity, he pondered wryly.

Steven remained motionless, like a granite statue, as though he had adjusted to the temperature and fear. Perhaps he faced it better than Alex? He looked prepared to face death, and Alex was certain in a few hours, he would have no choice but to also face the circumstance. The thought of death had always seemed so foreign to him, though he had faced it numerous times. He hadn’t had so much time to consider the outcomes, to consider how he would die and the pain involved. He had endured so much that, perhaps he saw himself to be indestructible.

But now, as he faced the very reality, it became more and more believable. The beast, his dual personality, was stowed in the recesses of his mind, as if unwilling to face death. Alex would have felt truly alone if it wasn’t for Steven.

His heart ached to see his friend smile, though he knew what awaited him.

“I’m sorry I failed you,” Alex whispered inaudibly, drawing his knees closer to his chest.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#299 2008-09-15 14:38:39

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Hooooooly Guacamole.
This was a very touching, tragic, and tormenting scene, Punx. Alex is set face to face with the consequences of his involvement, but the unconditional friendship of Steven is also resilient against the onslaught. Especially after the previous segment with the gloating Crowell, this was really well-placed and well-described. Even with all of the other circumstances of Alex's story that seemed inescapable, this one takes the cake, and takes our breath away as well.

Very very well done, Punx. In truth, you never cease to amaze me with your writing and your storytelling.

Wow.

#300 2008-09-15 14:42:30

punxnotdead

Thank you, Grayle. As you posted your review, I added a bit more, so I may as well post my extension. I managed to write some more before the second bell.
Thank you, thank you!!!

---

Hours elapsed. Steven and Alex chatted about old memories to keep their mind off the inevitable. They chuckled and joked as much as possible, hoping to pass the time.

“Remember,” Steven said; his hazel eyes alight with the same mischievous glimmer, “when we were seventeen? We were drunk off out asses and a group of gangsters tried to jump us. Before the first kid could swing a punch, you hurled him through a door, splinters and all. I always wondered how you did that.” He chortled, resting his head on his knees and shivering slightly.

Alex smiled in recollection. It had taken so much alcohol to affect him. And now, with its cost, it didn’t seem worth it. By the time he felt a buzz, it would dissipate due to his metabolism.

It was obvious that Crowell had encaged them for such lengths of time as a means of torture, but Alex found it to be the best spent hours of his life. He no longer feared death, and his only hope was that Steven would be spared. Perhaps he could save his friend? He mused internally. Could there be a bargain? As Alex was considering it, he knew the answer. No. Alex had nothing left to offer. Everything he had was taken from him. He had nothing but his own life to give.

The silver, slowly killing him, made his muscles fatigued until he was scarcely able to keep his head erect. His heart drummed feebly in his chest and his breaths came out labored. His lungs burned, not only from the chilly air, but also from the silver. Everything was weakened – even his capacity to think coherently.

Steven voiced his concerns, but Alex vowed that he was fine. The pain was immense and he hoped that death would not be so painful. Though his senses were immensely hampered by the silver, he was able to hear the clamoring of footfalls nearing the foor.

Steven could hear them, too, and his body was rigid with fear. His eyes darted to Alex as if looking for protection. But Alex was just as vulnerable, if not more so.

Alex’s breath caught in his throat as the footfalls ceased and the door squealed open. He hoped – prayed – that it wasn’t Crowell.

His wishes shattered like the rest of his life.

There stood Crowell. The look of murder in his eyes.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

Board footer