The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#301 2008-09-15 15:31:52

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: Werewolf in the shadows

Oooooo! Double Whammy! Cool!

This is a fascinating continuation, in the fact that you start to build up a slight glimmer of hope and contentment as Steven and Alex reminisce over times long gone, and then stomp on it and obliterate it with Crowell walking into the room.
  You've been watching Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings trilogy again, haven't you?
  Just kidding, Just kidding...

I found it an interesting development that as both Steven and Alex continued to find some measure of happiness to dull the pain of their circumstances, trying desperately to find a way to take their minds off of their plight, Alex was continuing to deteriourate, losing his strength and coherency to the silver infection. It just adds to the dismal, hopeless feeling in the scene, infusing it with finality and doom, verified by Crowell's return. It's really heart-wrenching to read this segment, and only makes the reader more desperate to find out how they will get out of this, if at all.

Even with what you already have, I can only imagine that the climax is going to be astounding. I can vividly see your readers clutching their chests, out of breath from taking this journey.

And so it should be, Punx.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#302 2008-09-17 20:22:23

punxnotdead

And here's the continuation to: Werewolf in the Shadows
By the way, since I'm not crazy about the title, should I change it to Crimson Shadows? Or not?

Chapter 29 – Blood
Alex’s body stiffened as Crowell entered. Adrenaline coursed through his veins, though it would do little to help him now. Fear milled through his mind. Though he did not fear death itself, he did not want die by the hands of this...monstrosity. Anyone but him.

Crowell’s eyes coolly swept across the room, flickering between both weary bodies as if deciding which one to choose. A gun flashed beneath his polyester jacket as it flailed in the breeze and a trail of shivers rippled up Alex’s spine. A hallow lump settled in the pit of his stomach. His palms were moist with sweat and it broke out across his forehead in a thin sheet.

Crowell’s eyes settled upon Steven and a sly grin tugged at the corners of his lips.

Alex’s heart plummeted.

Steven recoiled as Crowell motioned for his gun, his eyes flickering to Alex, pleading.

A surge of strength pulsed through Alex’s body and a throaty shriek tore from his throat. “No! Don’t do it! Kill me!” He spoke the words so hastily that he wasn’t sure whether it was he who spoke it.

Crowell peered over to him, ignoring his pleas and began to withdraw his gun. The metal flashed beneath the lights and the nozzle swung towards Steven. It was loaded.

Desperation unlike any other writhed in his body. His muscles bulged as he struggled against his constraints. He ignored the pain and continued to pull on the firm steel. Blood pattered the ground, oozing from Alex’s fresh wounds. His feet kicked off from the wall and he was rewarded with a loud SNAP. The two chains connecting him to the wall shattered, but the silver shackles remained bound to his wrist, freed from the wall.

Rage consumed him and he roared as he launched himself at Crowell.
Crowell had no time to react to the abrupt assault as Alex collided with him.

Alex’s shoulder struck Crowell’s chest, knocking the gun free from his grasp and clattering to the ground. He curled his fist into a tight ball and summoned all of his strength. His solid fist collided with Crowell’s jaw, sending him sprawled to the floor. Crowell plummeted to his hands and knees, blood dribbling from his mouth. His chest heaved sporadically and as Alex attempted to strike again, he leapt to his feet and dodged the attack.

In a whirl of speed, faster than Alex thought possible, Crowell’s fist struck Alex’s left temple. The force was immense, causing stars to dance in his vision. He reeled to the ground, his mind swimming and throbbing. Alex blinked and could feel blood stinging his eyes, blurring his vision. He was on his hands and knees, clutching his wound.

Soldiers flooded the room and two hefty officers apprehended him before he could attack any further.
Though pain coursed through his body, he struggled ineffectively in two pairs of strong arms. They crushed his arms with their tight grasp and he winced.

Crowell gazed venomously at Alex, malice flooding his demeanour. His chest was heaving with unrestrained fury and his face was flushed with colour. He hastily wiped the blood from his lower lip laceration, removing his jacket. He rolled up the cuffs to his black silk shirt, growling and cursing as he clenched and unclenched his fists.

Without warning, Crowell struck. Alex tried to recoil, but he remained trapped. Normally he would have been able to throw the men off with ease, but with the silver weakening him, he stood no chance.

He attempted to ready himself, but nothing could have prepared him for the pain he experienced. A fist collided with Alex’s midsection and a rib cracked with a sickening crunch. He howled in pain, slamming his eyes shut and praying for the torture to cease. Every muscle convulsed from the force of the punch and by then, he wished for it to end – for the silver bullet to enter his chest.
The torture continued.
A large fist smashed into his flank, but the ribs remained unbroken – for now. He clenched his teeth together to prevent a scream for tearing from his throat. With each punch, a white flash danced in front of his closed eyelids.

Then a fist backhanded him across the face and he felt his nose split with pain. Blood spewed, geyser-like, from his nostrils and the fleshy wound on the crook of his nose.

He was in a daze from the torrent of perpetual punches. His body was becoming numb to the pain, but he felt enough for him to wish for death.  .

And at last, the attacks ceased. The soldiers cackled at Alex’s bloodied and bruised corpse, releasing his limp arms and allowing him to slither to the ground.

Alex grimaced. Every muscle in his body screamed with agony, unwilling to move. And so he lay there, blood trickling from numerous gashes, his hot cheek pressed against the cold pavement. It felt soothing, but hardly enough to get him to his feet. This way, he didn’t have to face another abrupt assault.

Though, by the expression on Crowell’s face, the attack was almost worth it. His lip was still bleeding and began to swell. His face was red with anger, but he refrained from killing Alex – for now.

Instead, he turned away from Alex, facing Steven once more and resuming his initial task. He knelt to the floor, collecting his gun and stroking it gently. His eyes glowered with malice, icy and hard.
He rose to his feet, examining the chamber of his gun. He spoke over his shoulder as he cocked the gun. “You brought this upon yourself, Alex,” his words were smooth as velvet, yet lethal. “Your friend wouldn’t have to die if you hadn’t involved him. I want you to watch your life shatter as mine didn’t I want you to watch him die for what you did.” His eyes, no longer revealing their satisfaction glimmer, darted from Alex to Steven.

His lips twitched into a perfect smile as the gun rose.

Alex attempted to lunge out, but a heavy boot slammed against his back and restrained him. Blood bubbled from his mouth as he attempted to speak. His voice came out croakily and he was unable to finish a coherent sentence. “Let...‘im...go.” He would have screamed, but he was too fatigued – too injured to reach out.

Crowell merely chuckled and levelled the gun toward Steven. His eyes glimmered with depravity and his finger inched toward the trigger.

Steven’s eyes flickered to Alex, almost apologetically, and his lips were pressed in a thin, hard line. He was going to die.

A crackle split through the air.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#303 2008-09-18 10:07:39

Nightstalker

No! You can't be serious!
This is so torturous, cutting it off right there. Suspense or what? haha
I feel so sorry for Alex and Steven, what a horrible way to go, at the hands of a cold hearted lunatic.
That's just the way things are rolling for them, at the moment.

Once again, nice work. I'm totally hooked smile

"Her anger, the aggression, those eyes... It's so lethal..."
"She is rapaz, first & foremost, remember that, especially when you come face to face with her"

#304 2008-09-18 12:05:18

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I have a tendency to agree with Nightstalker - you've got us hooked, and this is one frustrating place to end the segment - But hey, as long as you post the next one in the next few minutes, it should be okay...

The description of the beating was brutal and vivid, so it was a little difficult for me to read because I'm a little squeamish. It makes sense to Crowell's character that he would opt to beat Alex to a pulp after Alex got one up on him with his attack, but you may not need to refer to it as torture, per se, although it technically is. Just referring to it as beating or as punishment may be sufficient for the circumstances, but it's up to you, of course.

Even so, I'm on the edge of my seat here waiting to find out what happens next. You have a real talent for that, Punx, along with your descriptive language and deprivation toward your protagonist. I really like your style, and I love this story. Don't leave us on the edge for too long, okay?

#305 2008-09-18 21:56:48

punxnotdead

Thank you all so very much. You were all helpful and I was going to wait for another two days to post, but I don't think I can wait any longer. It's a bit short, but hey.
I agree with you, Grayle smile
NightStalker and Fuzzball, thank  you as well. You make me feel so much better about my writing.

Chapter 30 – Death 
The sound of the gunfire reverberated around the hallow room, causing Alex’s ears to ring and wince slightly. He screamed and struggled, a sense of intense urgency causing a flare of strength. It seemed in slow motion that he witnessed Steven’s hazel eyes grow wide.

Alex’s heart was hammering in his chest, although it plummeted to his stomach. A torrent of emotions flooded him as he gazed at his friend slowly dying.

The bullet struck the hallow below Steven’s right ear, failing to penetrate to the other side. Nonetheless, a small spray of crimson spattered the walls and Steven’s agape expression dissipated, emotionless and unflinching. His eyelids slithered shut over his glassy eyes as his lifeless body slumped to the ground, the grizzly bullet hole exposed. It seeped blood through his hair and down his neck, congealing immediately on the concrete. His chest remained motionless, like the very atmosphere in the room.

Tears cascaded freely from Alex’s eyes. Though immense pain rippled through his abdomen with every movement, he lashed out, the emotional trauma far surpassing the physical. His arms flailed as he tried in vain to spring toward his friend, to somehow aid him and perhaps launch himself at Crowell.
He had never experienced such raw emotions before. Though tears blinded his vision, he was able to see Crowell’s dark silhouette and a smug expression on his face. His gun was poised at his side and his lips were lifted slightly.

Despite the silver, Alex’s eyes flared yellow, so dark that they almost appeared scarlet. His face was contorted in anguish as he fought the pairs of arms that restrained him. He wriggled and scrabbled to free himself and was willing to die than let Crowell escape unscathed. His mind flickered in and out of consciousness as the beast began to retain control. He allowed it to consume him, but wanted to remain conscious as he watched Crowell die.

However, the sole of Crowell’s foot pressed against Alex’s chest and pinned him to the floor. He spoke with vehemence in his voice. “Now you’ve seen what I’ve lost,” he hissed, a flicker of fury flashing on his face. His gun was positioned directly at Alex’s face.

Alex spat a string of curses; his eyes still alight with their molten hue. The steel bands of muscles along his arms and neck flexed, causing veins to protrude. He snarled, bearing his sharp teeth and Crowell withdrew, allowing his soldiers to restrain him.

His gun was still pointed at Alex, as if prepared to shoot. His finger tapped the trigger and his eyes were hard with hatred.
The feeling was mutual.

So much grief overwhelmed him that he thought he would die from it. He no longer cared whether Crowell pulled the trigger and watched, his face burning with his untamed fury and his chest heaving to bite back a howl. Perhaps it would end his emotional suffering, put him out of his misery. But he would not grant Crowell with the responsibility of killing him. The thought repulsed him.

Then, as Crowell’s eyes probed Alex, his gun lowered and he peered over his heavily hooked nose, his expression undecipherable.
His cold gaze averted to his soldiers and he spoke, his words flowing like liquid, “Bind him to the walls. This time, make sure he can’t escape.”

His soldiers obeyed curtly and grasped Alex in their vice grip.

Alex, tears still trailing his cheeks, allowed the two men to carry him to the other side of the room. He watched his friend, realization failing to settle in. ‘It can’t be,’ he convinced himself. He half expected to see Steven leap to his feet and smile his wide, toothy grin. But he never did. The thought caused another wave of hatred, sadness, and rage to sweep over him.

The two soldiers hurled him against the wall and Alex’s back struck the brick walls with a loud SMACK. He ignored the intense pain that seared through his ribs, clenching his teeth and staring with utter detestation at Crowell, unwilling to reveal his physical pain. His arms were bound once more, and connected to a bolt in the wall. The chains were thicker and the bolt sturdier. But he knew he would be unable to free himself. Not now.

As the soldiers began to trickle out of the room, Crowell was the last to remain. His expressionless face continued to stare at Alex before he, too, disappeared through the steel door. The door shut with thunderclap and the walls shuddered, the sound resonating around the room and shuffling Alex’s thoughts.

Though everyone had left, Steven’s body remained, growing colder and paler with each passing minute. They dared not bring the body with them, and Alex surmised the technique be used to crush him further – the worst form of torture. He tried to look away from the lifeless body, a wave of sobs consuming him. His knees curled to his chest and his shoulders trembled with each weep. The sound of his own cries filled the room and an empty void twisted in Alex’s chest.

Crowell would return, he knew, to finish the job. But he would wait until the torture would cease, then resume his initial task to kill Alex.
---

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#306 2008-09-19 03:04:44

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Okay, now; although your descriptive language is as tantalizing as ever, and the tension of the scene could be cut with a knife, and the emotions are so palpable that I was literally yelling "No!" at my computer screen, This really kinda infuriated me, got under my skin, so to speak.

Granted, it may be some sort of big plan for the story and you're leading us down the wrong track (you have done that to us before, you know), but Killing off Steven may end up generating feelings in the reader that you may not want to cultivate. Quite frankly, I can see people throwing down the book at this point and screaming "I can't take this anymore!" at the book, but I can also see them picking the book right back up seconds later to finish the story - because they simply have to.

Again, this is an incredible story, Punx. But if Steven stays dead, his ghost is going to haunt you or something.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-19 15:59:38)

#307 2008-09-21 22:27:25

punxnotdead

Thanks, Grayle. I was really torn about killing him off, but when the idea initially came to me two years ago, I already had his fate sealed. I might chage it, but I dunno... hmm
Short and sweet smile
---

Though immense fatigue consumed him, he found his mind stirring with thoughts. Every muscle, every nerve in his body screamed in pain. Blood was thick upon his brow from the laceration. The wound refused to congeal and he could hear the odd pitter-patter of his blood striking the concrete, filling the silent void in the room.

He was beyond tears now. His heart murmured slowly in his chest, as if responding to the emotional anguish he felt. His breathing was slow and controlled, his fists balled tightly at his sides. With his knees drawn to his naked chest, he rested his chin in the dip between his legs, too weak to support. He tried to close his eyes, but the horrific reminder flashed in front of his eyes – Crowell’s twisted smile, Steven’s wide, dying gaze and his motionless body slumping to the ground. He tried to steady his breathing, but it came out harsh and erratic. He could feel a deep rumble in his chest, from the very core of his being, and a snarl issued from his lips.

He could not move, however; only visualize lunging at Crowell, plunging his teeth into his throat and crushing his larynx, watching as the icy glint in his flawless features dissipated, replaced by fear. It was all that kept him alive as he bit down hard on his cheek.
It wouldn’t be long now, he was certain. The silver was almost completed it’s task, and now that it had penetrated his flesh, it would kill him faster, and much, much more painfully.

He kept his eyes averted to the steel door, watching, waiting for it to swing open and to peer into those burning sapphire eyes. It was all he could do from glancing at the lifeless heap and the thought pained him, causing him to wince. He tried not to focus on the past, but it hastily loomed upon his, despair renewing itself.

It had seemed a lifetime ago that he and Steven we casually conversing, though both facing the possibility of death, hoped they’d die together. Nothing could ever have prepared him for it. He thought it impossible for a human being to be capable of such, and covey such satisfaction.
It disgusted him and a wave of nausea lurched in his gut. But he bit it back, his defeated eyes transfixed on the door.

He heard the footfalls before the door opened and his breath caught in his throat. His jaw clenched and his eyes gazed apprehensively at the door as a figure appeared.

As it had been earlier, Crowell’s face was devoid of emotion, his lips pressed in a cold, thin line. His eyes were hard and emotionless. He was attired differently, in a longer, yet still sheik jacket. It was black suede and the interior was silky scarlet.

Crowell gazed fixedly at Alex, his lips twitching into the slightest trace of a smile. His hand fluidly swept beneath his jacket, at his flank, and the flash of silver steel suggested it was a pistol. But it wasn’t the same one. It was craftier and sleek, as though moulded into perfection.

The hollow nozzle swung toward Alex and the gun clicked as a bullet entered the chamber.
Crowell’s eyes were dark and hard, far from their previous state. His lower lip was still swollen, but the wound was showing signs of closing.

The gun remained perfectly still in Crowell’s grasp, the muzzle pointed at his chest and prepared to fire.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#308 2008-09-22 00:56:52

The Night Runner

Grayle wrote:

Okay, now; although your descriptive language is as tantalizing as ever, and the tension of the scene could be cut with a knife, and the emotions are so palpable that I was literally yelling "No!" at my computer screen, This really kinda infuriated me, got under my skin, so to speak.

Granted, it may be some sort of big plan for the story and you're leading us down the wrong track (you have done that to us before, you know), but Killing off Steven may end up generating feelings in the reader that you may not want to cultivate. Quite frankly, I can see people throwing down the book at this point and screaming "I can't take this anymore!" at the book, but I can also see them picking the book right back up seconds later to finish the story - because they simply have to.

Again, this is an incredible story, Punx. But if Steven stays dead, his ghost is going to haunt you or something.

Lol. This is true...I've done that once or twice before.

Quoting my brother, one time when we were discussing writing...

"Don't kill someone I like off because I'll kill you" --or something like that---

Then again, doing something like that also does create the idea that anyone can die in this book. If you've read Harry Potter 7, you'll know what I mean.

Anyways, there's my two-cents!

-The Night Runner

(formerly MidnightxSun)

"Not all is as seems..."
                                    Next full moon in EST: April 12th, 2008
Beware...
            ...Beware Easter bunny! Beware!

#309 2008-09-22 15:11:24

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Hey Night Runner! Nice to see you perusing the Cafe again, albeit in a different form..

Very interesting continuation Punx - your description of Alex's internal torment was superb, but I also found it ironically disturbing that Crowell would come in, gloat, go out, come in, beat up Alex and shoot Steven, go out, come back in dressed for the occasion of his final triumph, and point his gun at Alex... and Crowell barely said more than 3 sentences through the whole thing. That's pretty cold, and pretty sinister too. It fits his character well.

I'm assuming by now that Crowell has killed off the rest of the pack - he certainly wouldn't keep them alive. And now Steven's dead, too. About the only three outcomes I can predict right now are:

1. Crowell kills Alex and wins. He may lose his plans for Codoxin or he may be able to salvage it, but he wins nonetheless.
2. Alex kills Crowell, but dies in the process. The End.
3. Alex kills Crowell, but since his plight is exactly like Crowell's (His entire life destroyed by one man), Alex doesn't stop there and begins destroying perceived evildoers or humanity as a whole, similar to what Crowell did against werewolves. After all, what would happen to the mental state of anyone who has lost as much as Alex?

Now that I listed those, I'm guessing Punx is going to take us down a different road that's going to make us go "Wow!", just like she always does. Either way, this story is both tense and heart-wrenching, and it screams originality along with tragedy.
  My word, this is a great story!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-22 15:12:55)

#310 2008-09-22 19:46:15

The Night Runner

Grayle wrote:

Hey Night Runner! Nice to see you perusing the Cafe again, albeit in a different form..

Very interesting continuation Punx - your description of Alex's internal torment was superb, but I also found it ironically disturbing that Crowell would come in, gloat, go out, come in, beat up Alex and shoot Steven, go out, come back in dressed for the occasion of his final triumph, and point his gun at Alex... and Crowell barely said more than 3 sentences through the whole thing. That's pretty cold, and pretty sinister too. It fits his character well.

I'm assuming by now that Crowell has killed off the rest of the pack - he certainly wouldn't keep them alive. And now Steven's dead, too. About the only three outcomes I can predict right now are:

1. Crowell kills Alex and wins. He may lose his plans for Codoxin or he may be able to salvage it, but he wins nonetheless.
3. Alex kills Crowell, but since his plight is exactly like Crowell's (His entire life destroyed by one man), Alex doesn't stop there and begins destroying perceived evildoers or humanity as a whole, similar to what Crowell did against werewolves. After all, what would happen to the mental state of anyone who has lost as much as Alex?

Now that I listed those, I'm guessing Punx is going to take us down a different road that's going to make us go "Wow!", just like she always does. Either way, this story is both tense and heart-wrenching, and it screams originality along with tragedy.

Lol yeah! I couldn't tell the difference between my screen name's posts and "Midnight's" lol So I changed it to Night Runner...

Wow I've never looked at it that way...especially number 3.

But yes I agree with all of that! tongue

"Not all is as seems..."
Beware...

#311 2008-09-22 23:07:04

punxnotdead

The Night Runner wrote:

Grayle wrote:

Lol yeah! I couldn't tell the difference between my screen name's posts and "Midnight's" lol So I changed it to Night Runner...

Wow I've never looked at it that way...especially number 3.

But yes I agree with all of that! tongue

Hey, Midnight. I'm glad to see you here big_smile
And Grayle, you could be wrong, but you could also be right. Who knows? All of them are really good guesses, though.
I'll post more on Wednesday, since I don't want to post too much at once. It can get a little overwhelming.
Thanks

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#312 2008-09-25 16:27:09

Edo

Wow
Ever since I found this story, two days ago, I haven't stopped reading while I was able to read.
Your ability to never allow the reader to know what will happen, and your writing which makes the story part of my universe makes this the best story I've read in years, what am I saying, maybe ever! Well done!
And please don't be afraid to overwhelm us with this amazing story, because you already have, in a good way wink
I'm dying to know how it ends!

Last edited by Edo (2008-09-25 16:30:55)

#313 2008-09-25 19:40:53

punxnotdead

Gah! Thank you so much, Edo! Your words are so appriceated and definately unnecessary. I don't feel I'm worthy of such praise, but thank you!!
I guess I'll post more big_smile

Olivia sat as she had for the past several days. She had lost count of time, as it was meaningless here. Her only objective was to stay alive. The ache in her bones was worse than ever. She clenched her teeth together and grimaced from the slightest movement. The silver was inhibiting her muscles. Her breathing was short and hoarse, similar to her pulse.

Her body was already numbed from the cold that crept through the meagre walls and gripped her tender, exposed flesh. She shivered, but it only sent another ripple of pain across her body and she stifled a groan. The best way to avoid being beaten, she knew, was to be as inconspicuous as possible.

Her dark, wary eyes darted to the door where she heard a clamour of voices outside. She stiffened, uncertain whether they would enter her cell. But two soldiers flitted by the small, grimy window in the steel door. But she did not yet breathe a sigh of relief.

She waited in anticipation, her ears pricked to the source of the noise. The two men were conversing loudly, obviously unaware that she was eavesdropping. Though their sounds barely penetrated the thick door, she could hear a glimmer of their conversation.

“Crowell finally caught him,” the first soldier huffed, “he thought he would never get him. The stupid bastard,” he was referring to Alex!

Her stomach tightened and all hope dwindled, ebbing from her like her very life. Alex had failed, she thought with glum horror. He had been wrongfully condemned earlier. She knew who the culprit was – Jason – her very own pack, she mused with disgust.
A pang of sorrow twisted in her chest and her fists balled despite the pain. Her head dropped between her knees, which supported her chin.

The men continued, the second one evidentially perturbed. “I heard a gunshot earlier. I think Crowell killed him,” he said, almost conveying sympathy for the victim.

Her heart flittered in her chest and her breath caught in her throat. “No,” she whispered, her dark tresses concealing her pained face. For the first time since she could remember, a hot tear trailed down her cold cheek, scalding it. She suppressed further tears, containing her composure.

Crowell would come to kill her. It wouldn’t be long. Though she had lived for centuries, she knew she was not yet ready to die – not in such a dishonourable, wicked environment. Her slanted brows knitted and a cloud of fury bubbled to the surface. She refused to make it easier for them. There was still a chance of escape, though meagre as it was.

She closed her eyes briefly, composing herself and wishing her kin good luck before her eyes opened, this time burning their golden hue. Her face was sombre and shadowed, like a demonic goddess. She inhaled deeply, seeing a slight wisp of fog as she exhaled.

With little time to doubt herself, she brought her right hand to her left, probing and assessing her manacles. They were pure silver. The pain urged her onward as she grasped the left shackle in her right hand. Within, she could feel the razors beginning to bite into her flesh. They were angled in such a way that prohibited movement.

She conceived a plan, hoping that the notion would work. If the razors were positioned as she had speculated, her escape would be hasty...even painless.
With a grunt, she squeezed the left cuff around her wrist within her hand. Her arms trembled with the power required to withdraw the razors. They pressed threateningly against her skin as she squeezed, but, with immense relief, she could feel them inching slowly away. She slammed her eyes closed against the pain, her muscles quivering from it.

The silver was now burying lightly into her skin, but enough so that it caused overwhelming pain. A small trickle of blood soaked the interior of the shackle and she cursed, biting her lower lip as the razors disappeared.

Relief flooded her when the razors were no longer taut against her skin, and so she began the delicate process of slipping the bracelet from her wrist. Her chocolate-hued skin was shimmering with sweat, despite the cold, as the shackle began to inch off of her wrist. It was a slow and painful process. If she was too hasty, the razors would reposition themselves.

She used her blood as a lubricant to heave the searing metal from her wrist, contorting her hand so it would slip through the opening. Her protruding knuckles made it difficult, but she finally managed to slip the heavy manacle from her wrist. It clattered to the floor louder than she would have expected and she winced, in a momentary stupor, her breath constricted for anyone that might have heard her.

But she heard nothing besides the thundering of her heart and the laughing men outside her cell.
With renewed confidence, she repeated the process, this one easing off her wrist faster than she anticipated. And now she was free. The silver no longer had influence on her and she inhaled sharply, her heightened senses returning.

Her limbs were stiff from their constant position. Before she did anything else, she stretched, the warmth flooding back into her extremities and an unfathomable strength pulsing through her muscles.

When she got to her feet, she staggered slightly, the motion foreign to her. But when she maintained her balance, her mind no longer hazy, she closed her eyes and willed the shift.

It was slow and arduous due to the silver poisoning, but she could already feel her body ridding of the harmful substance. Her throat seared and her knees buckled. She pressed her burning palms against the wall for support, her chest heaving with power. She clenched her teeth, as she had learned to. It eased the brief spasm of pain that rippled along her skull as it writhed and bubbled. Her eyebrows furrowed and thick, black talons protruded from her fingertips, biting into the concrete surface.

Her vertebrae bubbled and popped as it lengthened and twisted itself into a slightly hunched stature. A gangly tail extended along her tailbone, twitching and writing as a reaction to the pain. She growled and the sound was more animal than human. Rounded leathery ears slid atop her head, not yet sheathed beneath the coat of fur. 

Thick shafts of coarse fur jutted from her quivering flesh, which tingled with delight. She shivered; the action no longer painful as her body continued the transition to her lycanthrope form. She stood several inches taller than her previous form, her lithe body condensed with steel muscle. It rippled along her shaggy mane like a bed of wriggling worms. 

Her black nose twitched, scenting the air and she could smell the foul odour of death and blood amongst numerous stank odours. But it did not belong to Alex. Her ears twitched and her heart flitted with relief. Alex was still alive – for now. She was determined to save him, as with herself – to spend the remainder of her life with him.

Heavy set wolf-like feet touched the floor, yet made no sound. She was stealthy and swift as her golden eyes leered out of the smoggy window. She could see the two soldiers, still chuckling and unaware of the imminent threat. She smiled a sharp, toothy grin, milling the flawless plan through her calculated mind.

She slouched to her hands and feet, invisible amongst the darkness as she crept through the room. Her shoulder brushed against the wall, and she pounded it with her burly fist. She waited, her ears swivelled to the door, listening to the perplexed and bewildered human voices that muttered outside of her door.

The two were approaching, hands grazing their guns. The first, more courageous soldier stepped towards the door, his hand gripping the knob.

Olivia positioned herself in a lethal crouch, her burly legs prepared to spring with pulverising force. She licked her lips in anticipation, her dilated pupils transfixed on the door, as a wolf to its prey.

Then, the door inched open, revealing a sliver of light into the room.
She made her move and lunged. Before the men could comprehend, her sturdy form launched into the slightly ajar door – that both men stood in front of – and smashed into it. The powerful force of the blow caused the steel door to explode off of its hinges and hurl into the bewildered men. The door whipped through the air, catching both men and crushing them immediately. Through the sound of twisted metal, she heard the definite crunch of bones and the slap of flesh.

The sound would alert numerous other soldiers, so she sprang among the ruins in search of her pack mates.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#314 2008-09-26 07:57:43

Edo

Great piece, again. smile
I like how things are slowly getting better again, but now I hope she'll make it..
You might want to elaborate a bit on why Olivia decides, after all this time, to break out. Was it that she wanted to help Alex? Just a suggestion.

#315 2008-09-26 13:33:57

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Edo wrote:

Wow
Ever since I found this story, two days ago, I haven't stopped reading while I was able to read.
Your ability to never allow the reader to know what will happen, and your writing which makes the story part of my universe makes this the best story I've read in years, what am I saying, maybe ever! Well done!
And please don't be afraid to overwhelm us with this amazing story, because you already have, in a good way wink

Well Said, Edo!
See, Punx? See?
I told you you're great, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me? Well, now Edo takes the side of me and Night Runner. You're officially outnumbered, so you might as well accept that you're a stupendous writer.

I'm rather surprised that Olivia is still alive - I wasn't quite expecting Crowell to allow that at first, but he does kind of fit the profile of a 'collector', if you take my meaning. As to Olivia herself, it only makes sense that her age and experience would allow her to escape before any others. Her patient and thoughtful actions in removing the shackles as well as strategically attacking the guards is also to her credit (as well as yours). The TF sequence was also very well defined and described, I might add.

Wonderful job, Punx! I hope you get to post more soon - maybe over the weekend if you get the chance...

#316 2008-09-26 13:47:13

punxnotdead

Grayle wrote:

Edo wrote:

Wow

Well Said, Edo!
See, Punx? See?
I told you you're great, but you didn't believe me. Why didn't you believe me? Well, now Edo takes the side of me and Night Runner. You're officially outnumbered, so you might as well accept that you're a stupendous writer.

I'm rather surprised that Olivia is still alive - I wasn't quite expecting Crowell to allow that at first, but he does kind of fit the profile of a 'collector', if you take my meaning. As to Olivia herself, it only makes sense that her age and experience would allow her to escape before any others. Her patient and thoughtful actions in removing the shackles as well as strategically attacking the guards is also to her credit (as well as yours). The TF sequence was also very well defined and described, I might add.

Wonderful job, Punx! I hope you get to post more soon - maybe over the weekend if you get the chance...

Thank you, Grayle. I might have more by tomorrow or the next. I can feel it winding down so quickly it's becoming painful to write amongst the last scenes. Your (both of you) imput is so greatly appriceated and I feel I've grown to enjoy my writing more than I ever have (not in a cocky way, though...more of a respect) Thank you! big_smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#317 2008-09-27 01:53:48

The Night Runner

Grayle wrote:

Edo wrote:

Wow

Well Said, Edo!
See, Punx? See?

Yeah, Hi Edo! I'm with you on that too. I usually just post on the other website she posts on, though--Werewolf.com, because then I can force her to work for all her responses...

i.e.-she has to change the URL, wait for it to load, cancel out of all the little PM boxes, work her way down to the story section, then find her story. :-p

Anyways, Awesome section! I love your descriptions! The blood is cool. I have to say that Grayle brings up some awesome points that I didn't think of when I commented on werewolf. (as usual) I can picture the scene pretty straight-foward in my head. And I really like the way you describe her eyes!

So yeah...nice job!

"Not all is as seems..."
Beware...

#318 2008-09-28 22:06:19

punxnotdead

Chapter 31
Alex watched, trying to keep the defeat from his eyes, but failing miserably. His lower lip trembled and the prospect of seeing his friend once more became plausible. He was content now, fearless of the pain to come, for it would not match the aching of his wounded heart. “Stop the suffering,” he muttered so silently he mistaken it for a thought.

Crowell’s face stared darkly at him, death dancing in his rigid eyes. His fingers compressed the trigger...
...and darkness consumed Alex.

Initially, he thought it was the hasty sweep of death claiming him, its cold grasp dragging him into the abyss. His chest was unmoving, no air escaping his lips. He listened and waited. No pain, besides the residual throb of his broken bones and the searing in his wrists. But he felt no bullet hole in his chest, or the burning of the silver in his heart. Perhaps the other pain masked it? He thought to himself.

But, his mind spinning, he released a lung full of air, sucking it in just as rapidly. He was still breathing. His eyes were wide, scouring the darkness. It was pitch black. His night vision was impaired. But he heard Crowell mutter a curse and his feet shuffling around the room.

Alex remained completely silent, cursing his breath as it came out noisier than he anticipated.

But Crowell was muttering his own curses. “Damned lights,” he growled under his breath and hollered to the accumulation of soldiers at the door. Though Alex could not see Crowell, he heard the door whirl open and small spheres of light slice through the darkness, issuing from flashlights.

It caused Crowell’s intimidating shadow to dance across the wall and the smooth creases in his face to be deeply shadowed. But most perturbing of all was his eyes. Through the light, they glistened sapphire, only with more luminosity and intensity.

Alex shivered and remained in a stupor, watching wide-eyed as Crowell angrily commanded the brigade of uneasy soldiers.

One soldier reported glumly, but his face emotionless, “They’ve escaped, sir – the tests subjects.”

Silence persisted through the room for a brief moment as the anger accumulated on Crowell’s face. He snarled, infuriated. “Damn dogs,” he muttered. “Send all of the soldiers to the compromised vicinity. I want a lock down of the building. No one gets in or out. Conceal all exits and use all force necessary.”

The soldier nodded curtly, his deep voice thundering in his walkie-talkie. “All forces secure the exit. No one’s leaving this building.”

A hazy voice replied, “I’m on it, but the beasts are moving too quickly. We need more reinforcements.” His voice was uneven, as if he was running. “They’re following us,” he shrieked through the radio. Gunshots were heard through the receiver and deep, throaty howls ripped through the man’s sentence.
Alex heard a scream on the other end, and then silence.

For the first time since Alex had seen Crowell, a worried look marred his complexion. His brows were furrowed and he declared his soldiers off into battle. His hands gripped either side of the door frame, his breathing shallow and his body trembling with anger...or fear, Alex could not tell.
Before Crowell exited, he gave one last fleeting glance at Alex, leaving him stunned and bewildered.

Alex saw a defeated glint in his eyes as he disappeared through the door, leaving Alex bound, wounded and half naked to the wall.
Now that he was completely engulfed in darkness, Alex felt a jolt of fear. Though relief swept through him, he was still fearful. His possible demise was being drawn out – the pain too intense.

He strained to listen through his ragged breaths, his eyes attuned to the door. Off in the distance, he heard the snarls of enraged werewolves on the hunt. Human screams echoed along the conductive walls, ringing in his ears. The sounds were nearing.
He held his breath, his body tense with fear. He should feel safe and relieved, but the ominous darkness left him helpless and fearful.

Would the werewolves recognize him as a victim, or a threat? He wondered with angst.
A shrill scream reverberated through the long hallway, reaching Alex’s cell. The scrabbling of feet and talons issued amongst the gnarly sound of ripping flesh. Gunshots were crackling through the air and Alex winced, fearful that one would strike him.

As he continued to listen, he heard the tearing sounds approach his door, coming closer with each uneven breath. It was now just outside of his door. He could hear heavy breathing and a small rumble on the other side of the door – directly opposite of him. Something heavy, like a body, hit the ground and Alex recoiled, hoping that, through the odour of blood and the haze of rage, the beast would recognize him.

His fists clenched and unclenched as silence persisted. His ears were buzzing and he scowled, now hoping that the beast would rescue him. He wanted to call out, but his throat was raspy and his tongue refused to function.

Without warning, a deafening thunderclap issued from the sturdy metal door. The metal squealed as it was evident a hefty body had slammed against it. The door plummeted to the ground, crashing louder than the initial impact. Alex winced and gnashed his teeth together, hoping the door would not hit him, or any flying debris. A few flecks of concrete pelted his face, but caused no harm. Curiosity prompted him to lift his head and probe the beast.

Though the room was dark, the hallway was slightly illuminated with light, likely from a fallen flashlight. As he gazed at the demolished remnants of the doorway, he saw the lithe silhouette of a massive werewolf. Only the silhouette of its lithe features were discernible, as darkness invaded all else.

As he probed the creature, he knew it was undoubtedly female, due to the smaller stature and curved waist. His brows furrowed as the beast remained at the doorways, issuing husky breaths and a low rumble catching in the back of its throat, like the roar of a motor cycle. Its curious black nose twitched and its teeth flashed in disgust from the smell of blood.

However, the beast approached Alex.

Alex remained in a stupor, his heart hammering in his chest. Despite this, he felt a sense of serenity. He’d much rather die this way than by Crowell.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#319 2008-09-29 14:36:08

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Holy Guacamole!
  Wonderful post, Punx! I loved the descriptions of tearing metal and rending flesh, as well as the increased excitement of this post breaking the tension built by the last few. Excellent!

I also found it very interesting that you kept Alex's disposition acclimated toward doom, expecting the werewolf to slaughter him even though he was "bound, wounded and half naked to the wall" (btw, you might want to reposition that prepositional phrase in later drafts). With all that Alex has been through and recently witnessed, it only makes sense that any kind of hope would be beyond his mental reach.

I must admit that I find it to be perhaps a bit out of character for Crowell to be so indecisive. I'd kind of expect him to burst with anger and perhaps a bit of panic, but not frozen with the feelings, if that makes sense. Even so, it's still clear that a final showdown between him and Alex may still be in the future - but whether immediate or prolonged is uncertain.

Very very nice scene, Punx! Please bring on some more soon, okay? I mean, if your schedule permits....

#320 2008-09-30 19:18:17

punxnotdead

Thanks, Grayle. I wanted to portray that beneath it all, Crowell is really a coward. He puts on a hard facad, but when he faces such dire predicaments, he's unsure. If that makes any sense. Is it a good idea?
Also, this scene is a little...mushier than I'm use to, and I know the feelings seem a little too stong, but that's because in my newer draft I added a bit more mushieness.
It's long. I apologize. sad

The werewolf glided along the concrete floor with fluid strides until it was inches from Alex. With its luminous molten eyes, Alex could distinguish concern in its intelligent eyes and a stroke of fear. The cold, wet nose prodded Alex gently, though the slight movement caused a shot of pain to tear through his chest and ribs. Alex gasped, holding his breath to hamper the pain.

The beast recoiled, concern etching deeper in its features. It assessed his manacles with wary eyes, as if contemplating what to do.

With a viscous thrust of its massive head, the female werewolf lifted its head to the empty sky and howled.

The shrill and penetrating sound caused Alex to wince as it reverberated around the room, even long after it had ceased.

Then, the beast turned to the door, its ears cocked forwards and sitting idly on its haunches – as if waiting for something – or someone.

Alex was no longer fearful at this point. Relief had long since flooded his body, making the pain subside in his ribs and the throbbing of his bleeding heart ease. He dared not speak, unable to issue a single syllable, as though his larynx had forgotten to move.
So he waited, his ears attuned to the opening and his breath held to ensure he would miss nothing.

Then, he heard the faintest of sounds, like the whoosh of air and the soft pad of footfalls approaching. The gait was different from the werewolf – much more subtle and calculated.
From the doorframe emerged a winged, pale faced woman.

Alex gasped, his eyes wide. He had presumed her dead. But here she stood, her perfect contours haloed by the backlighting. He could see the scarlet gleam of her eyes and how daunting they appeared in the darkness – a true nightmare. But the sight was a relief to him. It was Lottamay.

The werewolf got to its feet, hovering taller than the vampire and it grunted throatily.
The vampire nodded curtly, her eyes flickering to Alex and then back again.

“I’ll do it,” she purred, her voice soft like velvet, yet as sharp as a blade.

Through her slit-shaped pupils, she scrutinized him, kneeling at his side. She smiled reassuringly, though Alex could see nothing but the glint of oversized canines. She reached out to his wounded wrists, her cold hands brushing against his flesh. He shivered from the cold, but watched as Lottamay grasped the manacle between both hands and squeezed.

With a small stab of pain, the silver bracelet shattered from his wrist, clanking to the floor. In another fluid movement she removed the next manacle, watching as it hit the floor, the silver no longer influencing Alex.

The relief was immediate, like someone had plunged him into a pool of warm water. His purpling skin resumed its natural olive-hued complexion as hot blood pulsed through his body. He inhaled, feeling the air satisfy his lungs, feeling his ribs beginning to immediately mend, and the wounds begin to slither shut. It would take a few hours for the bone to fuse completely, but for now, he experienced no pain. He rested his head against the wall, closing his eyes and relishing in the reprieve. He had forgotten what real serenity felt like – how good it felt to be immortal.

He could have rested against the wall forever, but he heard a feminine voice cut through the silence.

“You need to shift to your werewolf form. It will make the healing process complete.” The female voice demanded softly, but with an indication of irritation.

He knew that voice! His heart quickened and his eyes snapped open. His night vision allowed him to clearly distinguish the owner. He saw her almond eyes and brown tresses cascading across her shoulders – the shimmer of her bronze skin. It made him shiver, but not from the cold.

“Olivia?” He enquired, his throat catching on the word. “I thought...” he trailed off, unwilling to say the word. Excitement swelled in his chest and he smiled.

Her expression was consoling and her voluptuous lips twitched into a smile. “We have to hurry,” she warned, “we don’t have much time,” her expression immediately became rushed.

Alex nodded, trying to mill the thoughts through his mind. So much had occurred that he had difficult – through his previous haze – recollecting it all. He was overwhelmed as he got to his feet; his eyes darted along the room...until his eyes rested on Steven.

Alex’s face was sombre now and the blood had left his face.

Steven was motionless, his eyelids sheathing his glassy, vacant stare. He was grateful for that. But his throbbing heart pulsed with pain, as though each heartbeat ripped open a new wound. He tried to keep the tears from his eyes, but he felt them trail down his now-warm cheeks.

Anger flushed him, replacing the fear, anxiety and reasoning. A deep rumble emitted from his clenched jaws, and his eyes burned furiously. He didn’t care whether he died. He wanted only the sweet taste of revenge – blood. The process of his shift was hasty, propelled by the sweep of emotions.

He was a werewolf now, powerful and unstoppable. He could feel Olivia by his side, her snout reaching his chest. He flexed his muscles, satisfied with the ripple of heat and anger that pulsed through them. He roared, the deafening sound echoing through the halls, reaching the deepest, darkest corners of the building. Other howls chimed in response, but none like his.

Olivia lurched through the door and Lottamay motioned for Alex to follow. Alex nodded in response and took off in a blur of speed. The power that pumped through his body amazed him. It was the anger.
His eyes blazed with intent fury, following Olivia as she wound through numerous corridors. Complete darkness shrouded the building. He easily navigated, hearing Lottamay’s light footfalls bounding behind him, matching step for step.

Though the walls streaked by him in a blur, he could see them sprayed with blood and gore. Fallen bodies rested on the floor, guns strewn at their sides and throats ripped out. Skulls were crushed and entrails spewed from gnarly wounds. And yet a thrill coursed through his body – or rather, the beasts’. He knew now why such untamed rage coursed through his veins, tainting his mind. It was the whisper of the beast in the back of his mind; fuelling his anger and watching it blaze, taking control of his very essence. 

But Alex would give into the sadistic murmuring in his skull; allow it complete control when he spotted Crowell. He could think of no better way to satisfy the beast.
As he ran, in what felt like circles, he could feel his paws gliding along the floors, leaving bloody paw prints in their wake.
He continued until he was certain that there was no escape. There was no indication of human activity, so he assumed that they were where they began – running in circles. But just as hope dwindled, he spotted an unfamiliar door. It was larger than the rest, at the very end of the narrow, long hallway. His shoulders brushed against the walls as he ran, his paws thundering against the linoleum.

Olivia’s sleek body collided with the hefty, nearly impenetrable door with ease. It squealed in defeat before hurling dangerously through the air. With a deafening roar it hit the ground, deeply scoring it and spewing up mounds of cement. But Olivia lunged over it and continued on, unscathed and undeterred.

Alex followed suit, and continued at a measured pace, in close pursuit. He could not afford to lose his way. His surroundings were larger and less claustrophobic. Though there were no lights, he could see that bloodied flashlights dully illuminated the vast hallway. Severed limbs grasped vice-like on the light-source, while the remnants of their bodies were strewn about the hallway.

The invigorating run propelled his muscles and he ignored the dull ache in his tender bones. They were the least of his worries. Up ahead, he saw a small sign above a smaller door. It read ‘Main Exit’ and relief consumed Alex. He inhaled sharply, feeling the flush of relief deter the throbbing in his heart - but only momentarily. The flicker of Steven’s body flashed in front of his mind, a grim reminder of what he had lost. Though he had Olivia, he knew he would never feel whole – not completely. He hoped Crowell’s death would fill the dead void in Alex’s chest, somehow compensate for the aching of his internal wounds. He was a fool to think such a thing.

Olivia hurdled through the door as though composed of flimsy cardboard, but the boom of the collapsing door was drowned out by the screams of gunfire and the bellowing of those ahead.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#321 2008-09-30 19:53:40

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

As to your question, I can see where you're coming from and where you're going, but I just perceived Crowell as more of a 'runner' than a 'freezer', if that makes sense.

As to your post, it's incredible. The description of the carnage may be a little more than I'd want to visualize, but it's difficult to get around describing it - I mean, it's all over the place!
  Just Kidding.
  Your descriptions of Olivia, and especially Lottamay, were fantastic, and the cooperation between the two was also lovely to read. The primal instincts and feelings developing in Alex were marvelously depicted. As to the indicated mushiness, I couldn't find it. I couldn't find any mushiness. It all sounded like realistic reactions, and relief to quell the brutal amount of despair in which Alex has been unwillingly drowning.

The pace and the tension has continued, reinforced by reinforcements and the possibility of escape. But now Olivia has ran right into a barrage of bullets, no doubt silver.

Crap.

But, you've surprised us many times before, so let's see what you have in store for us now.
  Bring on some more, Punx!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-30 19:54:58)

#322 2008-10-02 16:21:33

punxnotdead

Thanks for the advice, Grayle, I will most definately take your advice

Alex stopped mid-stride in the crumpled doorway, his eyes wild with shock, while Olivia plunged into the vast, crowded room.

The room was the largest he had seen. The ceilings were high, but the lights were still extinguished. The room was only illuminated by a few flimsy battery-powered light bulbs, doing little to ease the immense darkness. But that was not what shocked Alex.

Up ahead, several meters away, hundreds of writhing bodies occupied the vast space, making it appear small and claustrophobic. The soldiers were engaged in a bloody battle for their lives, their guns firing aimlessly into the massive congregation, not caring whether they struck their own men.

Their targets were the colossal werewolves that snapped and roared with feral rage. Alex surmised there to be over a hundred snarling beasts, some smeared with blood. The majority of the attacking beasts were gangly, their dishevelled fur devoid of their natural luminous sheen. Their pelts hung from skeletons and Alex was surprised they were able to move from malnourishment.

The few that he could see amongst the tangle of limbs and the flash of fur were fierce. Their honey eyes were slightly glazed but anger and desperation smouldered in them.

The soldiers outnumbered the werewolves three to one, Alex observed, still in a stupor in the doorway. His heart was thundering in his chest as Olivia joined the chaotic brigade. Like numerous of the many werewolves, she moved with stealth and precision, flitting through the bustling mass of skirmishing beings. Her scythe-like talons slid along a soldier’s throat, and she disappeared beneath the swarm before the dying body could hit the floor.

Blood was everywhere. Carcasses oozed rivers of blood, belonging to both man and beast. Snarls tore through the human screams and the crackling torrent of gunfire. Though Alex observed for mere seconds, the sight would remain scarred in his retinas.

He was unsure whether to lunge into the seething mass of human and wolf bodies, afraid to stand in the crosshairs of a stray bullet or lose himself completely to the beast.
He could feel the murmur of glee in the back of his mind, the voice urging him onward, propelled by the coppery odour of blood as the beast began to cling to the corners of his vision. Alex grimaced and tore his gaze away, confliction in his lupine eyes.

Lottamay pushed past him, urging him onward, into battle, as she flitted amongst the crowd. Her vast, leathery wings unfolded and she took to the skies, like a vulture overhead. Her scarlet eyes gleamed as she soared through the air with unfathomable speed, like a streak of pale shadows whipping the sky.

When she hovered over the middle of the vast congregation, she descended and disappeared within the mass of bodies. He could see the whirl of her black leathery wings flashing in the crowd, flitting with unfathomable speed.

Alex remained hesitant, his eyes sweeping across the chaotic congregation. On the boarder of the tangled mass, he could see lifeless human and lupine bodies. Heads were severed from shoulders and blood pulsed from wounded men and werewolves. Alex felt a pang of sorrow for such carnage, the smell of blood burning in his nostrils.

But he was torn from his horrified musings as a black-eyed soldier broke away from the crowd, a trickle of blood seeping from his forehead. His pistol flashed in the scarce light and it crackled as soon as it settled on Alex.

However, Alex, vigilant, lunged away from the path of the silver bullet. He could hear it smack the cement wall behind him and cement pelt his fur. He shuddered, having no choice but to defend himself. Bullets continued to issue from the soldier’s gun, his eyes relentless – fearless.

Alex’s pulse thundered, propelling his muscles. He lunged to the left and the man’s gun followed with great precision. The crackle of his gunfire was drowned out by the cacophony of snarls, screams and other bullets. Stray bullets flitted past him, grazing the fur along his shoulder, but he continued his manoeuvring with the soldier.

Alex feinted to the right, feeling his talons bite into the concrete as he sprang away to the left in unimaginable speed. His lunge closed the gap between him and the soldier.

Alex lunged for the man’s throat before he could comprehend what was happening. Alex’s jaws, like a steel trap, fastened around the soldier’s throat, while his right paw wrenched the gun from the man’s desperate grasp. His black eyes were wide with shock and he could only gurgle his protests before Alex crushed the man’s larynx.

Hot blood invaded Alex’s mouth, violated his taste buds before he could rip away from the lifeless soldier. His teeth were crimson and the unpleasant taste made his snout curl. But in a twisted way, he craved it. The beast, like a raging, seething rash, engulfed him in a haze of red. Alex struggled, almost unsuccessful in his endeavour to repel the beast.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#323 2008-10-02 18:00:05

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I said "Crap" as a derogatory expletive before. I was wrong.

It's more like "Holy Crap!"

This was fantastic. I can see this big dark room, bombarded by the strobe flashes of chaotic gunfire, with intermittent images of men and werewolves tearing at each other. Even though we can't see much, it's still extremely vivid. The way you described the brutality of the beast savoring the carnage was also disturbingly delicious - kind of like all this blood would be to Lottamay! Ha!

Wait - why is that so funny?

The way you described this scene was intense and brilliant, and it's something I can definitely learn from. I try to shy away from giving details about large battle sequences like this, but I think I can learn a lot from your example in how to write them.

The only thing I can think to add would maybe be a sadistic smile on Lottamay's face as she dives into the carnage. Granted, one or two of the descriptions of speed could be individualized, but that's a tiny thing. Other than that, I can't think of any way this could be done better, and I'm going to be reading this multiple times to get a better feel on how to write a scene like this.

Wonderful Job, Punx! Very nice indeed!

#324 2008-10-03 04:28:37

werer
Sniffer
Website

I caught up, I can't believe it. Not the fact that I caught up, but the fact that all the scenes are so descriptive and wonderful! It's so full of description, emotion, thoughts, actions. It takes my interest from page one, and it won't stop till after I've finished the last page. I LOVE IT!

There's a method to my madness, and a madness to my method.
When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!
*Sniff sniff* I smell art! big_smile

#325 2008-10-03 16:40:33

punxnotdead

Gah! Thank you guys. You're really making me blush - no lie. Grayle, I think you do your scenes wonderfully and it's flattering that a writer of your magnitude thinks so highly of my works. I will most definately take your advice on Lottamay.
And werer, thank you, too. It means alot to me, and I am slowly catching up on your story, too, so no worries (schedule is a bit hectic at the moment - I'm reading a 400 page story and editing it for someone at the moment)

However, its influence remained strong, like a vice grip. His lustful eyes scoured the crowed room and Alex lunged into the bustling skirmish of man and werewolf. The beast was wild in his mind. Alex tried unsuccessfully to turn back, to flee the building, but the beast was in control.
Gunfire roared in his ears and bodies pressed in from all around him, brushing along his flank. Soldiers fired, but Alex moved too swiftly. Bullets struck their companions as Alex dodged lethal bullets.

The beast had no fear, only the thrill of the kill. He spotted a soldier, his back turned and firing at a flitting shadow – a werewolf. It was considerably small, but it moved like liquid beneath people’s feet until it disappeared.
Alex’s lips curled into an unsightly smile, his blood-stained teeth flashing and thin crimson threads of saliva spewing from his chops.

He lunged, the force of his charge knocking others over, breaking bones and crushing flesh. The man could not react to the abrupt assault, his oblivious back turned to him. He was still transfixed on locating the stealthy werewolf.

Alex’s dagger-sized fangs curled around the back of the man’s neck. He could feel him struggling and screaming. It was shrill and Alex’s massive digit-grade paw crushed the man’s hand, causing the gun to disappear beneath the sprawls of bodies.

The man’s skin popped from the pressure and ivory canines scraped against bone, devouring flesh and tearing through blood vessels. The man’s screams became muffled gurgles as he struggled to pry the massive jaws from the back of his neck, but to no avail. His vertebrae splintered and the man twitched once, rigid and dead.
Dark scarlet blood dribbled from Alex’s frothing muzzle and his untamed eyes were burning with rage and satisfaction.

In the back of his mind, Alex was struggling to re-acquire his control, but his will power was drowned out by the raw fury he experienced, the lust and need for violence. It was feeling satisfaction in the killings, as though it would change the fact that Steven was dead – as though he was getting even. But no amount of killing would satisfy the anger. Despite this, he gave in.

He was stronger, faster than those around him. His golden talons grazed along soldiers’ faces, massacring the flesh and crushing their skulls. His pelt was crusted with blood as a man laid screaming and writhing beneath the barrage of attacks. His death was slower and so Alex sprinted away, leaving the dying body in search for another victim.

In the short span of a couple minutes, he ravaged the crowd, relishing in each kill, his own snarls thundering amongst the chaos. He escaped near misses with stray bullets, keeping wary, but maintaining his gaze on his prey.

He discovered a small pocket of soldiers as they fired aimlessly into the crowd. A stray bullet struck a white furred werewolf as it was attacking a soldier. Its massive, gangly body slithered to the ground, soon engulfed by the battling barrage of humans and lycanthropes.

The group of huddling men spotted Alex and bullets sprayed the air. Alex darted away from the hail of gunfire, disappearing behind a wall of bodies. He slunk beneath the crowd of people, furtive and his molten eyes transfixed on his prize. He licked the congealing blood from his muzzle and sprang.
Wind whipped his fur, flitting up his nostrils and filling his lungs. He sprang towards the flank of the crowd, where they were open for attack.
The men could not react in time.

However, before Alex could collide with the congregation of soldiers, something solid smashed against his flank.
Lights danced in front of his vision and the beast was temporarily stunned from the massive blow. The force of the collision caused him to hurl into five other soldiers, who gave way immediately to the crushing weight. When he hit the floor, he could feel writhing bodies pinned beneath his body, but he ignored them and sifted through the crowd for the culprit. He shook his massive head, ridding of the spinning sensation he experienced.

His gluttonous eyes settled upon the dark-furred werewolf. Its milky blue and molten lava eyes taunted him and its muzzle flashed a teasing grin.
Bile rose in Alex’s chest like rivulets of fire and he snarled, flashing his own intimidating canines.

Shubert was unfazed by the gesture and loped forwards, his heavy gait causing the ground to quiver. A swell of heat flooded Alex’s muscles and he sprang from the ground to meet the attack.

In a flash of fur, the two colossal beasts collided, sounding like two boulders clashing together in a cacophonous symphony. Snarls erupted from both beasts’ throats and Alex’s surroundings melted away. This was the revenge Alex sought and a challenge for the beast.

Jaws snapped and saliva flecked from both ravenous jaws. Talons plunged into muscled flesh as both beasts collapsed in a mangle of fur and muscles. Bones whipped the ground as the two beasts engaged in a bloody battle, the sounds splitting through the discordance from all around.
Shubert’s lengthy fangs lunged at Alex’s throat, but Alex avoided the attack and slammed his fist against Shubert’s muzzle.

Shubert reeled back, a pink, bleeding wound on the bridge of his muzzle. A snarl of pain issued from his throat, but his eyes were fierce with anger. He refused to surrender.

He showed no signs of attack before he sprang. In one lengthy stride, he launched towards Alex. The beast jerked out of the way, but a flash of glistening fangs snagged his shoulder. A howl escaped his throat. Anger, white hot anger pulsed through his veins, plunging Alex into the abyss of his mind. And though Alex was no longer in control, he experienced the pain, felt the anger.

The teeth dislodged from his shoulder as quickly as they had entered and Shubert’s hefty, short silhouette disappeared. The beast snarled, his digit-grade paws clenched in rage and its scythe-like talons ready to strike.

But no attack came – yet. The beast warily scoured the vicinity where Shubert had disappeared, but saw nothing besides the flailing of bodies. He smelled nothing but the sweet reek of death and the pungent odour of gun powder. Fear, he smelled that, too. So thick it made his chops salivate, so tempting he was prepared to lunge back into the crowd. But common sense, a small whisper in his ear, advised him to remain on the outskirts of the crowd to gain vantage point on his enemy.

His eyes caught the flash of dark fur, a glazed blue eye, and a charging werewolf.
Snorting audibly, he crouched slightly and watched from the corner of his vision as the lumbering werewolf neared, then lunged.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

Board footer