The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#101 2008-01-04 12:02:43

punxnotdead

Re: Werewolf in the shadows

Here's some more. I changed earlier posts, so you ming/might not want to re-read them. Enjoy.

*Been edited...

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#102 2008-01-04 14:43:46

punxnotdead

Okay, so I know some of you might not want to look back at post #94, but I made some major modifications (with the help of Grayle) and it might alter the direction a bit. It might also clear things up. Grayle, if it still has a few flaws, I'm open to any suggestions. Thank you for helping me with that section.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#103 2008-01-04 20:30:28

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Holy Guacamole with cheese!!
  I just went back and re-read #91 and #94 - the change is incredible. Are you happy with it? I mean, can you feel the difference in the story flow?
  Due to the Catch-up effect, this is going to be a wordy post. Prepare yourself...

The modification adds quite a bit of maturity and wisdom to Gregory. It really deepened his character - both his observations when they capture Alex, and his conversation with Alex on the way to find Steven.
  Martina's trick with the revolver is a lot easier to follow, and even made me flinch when Brutus did! That was great! I adored the descriptions of her scrutinizing gaze going through Alex's head. That was glorious!
  I also loved how you described what the teenager found - very believable, and the descriptions of the teenager's gestures gave him a bit of character development. Very nice addition!
  Is it just me, or did you REALLY modify post #97? Personally, I liked what you had there.
  I also really enjoyed the new loyalty toward Steven that Alex displayed. That was a very nice touch. I'm assuming that one of the reasons Martina and the others didn't fight him too much on that point was because they acknowledged and respected his loyalty. It's something that kinda fits just right. I mean, they're a pack, they know the importance of loyalty; It's only fitting that they would recognize and encourage similar behaviour. You might, however, consider adding a few comments to that effect in later drafts, just to solidify the point. But even as it is now, it stands out as unspoken but obvious - if that makes sense.

Man, I really hate Crowell.
  The fact that killing one of his tortured prisoners in cold blood actually quenches his anger is downright sinister. Who's the real monster, I ask (that was a rhetorical question)?
  Something just occurred to me, but I need to ask a question about your creatures, first. Do they propagate by biting, or procreation, or both perhaps?

Last edited by Grayle (2008-01-04 20:31:42)

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#104 2008-01-04 21:30:57

punxnotdead

Grayle wrote:

Holy Guacamole with cheese!!
  I just went back and re-read #91 and #94 - the change is incredible. Are you happy with it? I mean, can you feel the difference in the story flow?
  Due to the Catch-up effect, this is going to be a wordy post. Prepare yourself...

The modification adds quite a bit of maturity and wisdom to Gregory. It really deepened his character - both his observations when they capture Alex, and his conversation with Alex on the way to find Steven.
  Martina's trick with the revolver is a lot easier to follow, and even made me flinch when Brutus did! That was great! I adored the descriptions of her scrutinizing gaze going through Alex's head. That was glorious!
  I also loved how you described what the teenager found - very believable, and the descriptions of the teenager's gestures gave him a bit of character development. Very nice addition!
  Is it just me, or did you REALLY modify post #97? Personally, I liked what you had there.
  I also really enjoyed the new loyalty toward Steven that Alex displayed. That was a very nice touch. I'm assuming that one of the reasons Martina and the others didn't fight him too much on that point was because they acknowledged and respected his loyalty. It's something that kinda fits just right. I mean, they're a pack, they know the importance of loyalty; It's only fitting that they would recognize and encourage similar behaviour. You might, however, consider adding a few comments to that effect in later drafts, just to solidify the point. But even as it is now, it stands out as unspoken but obvious - if that makes sense.

Man, I really hate Crowell.
  The fact that killing one of his tortured prisoners in cold blood actually quenches his anger is downright sinister. Who's the real monster, I ask (that was a rhetorical question)?
  Something just occurred to me, but I need to ask a question about your creatures, first. Do they propagate by biting, or procreation, or both perhaps?

Thank you, If it wasn't for you I wouldn't have found the flaws. As for how they produce, One cannot usually become a werewolf unless they have a certain blood type (and they have to first be bitten), like Olivia was in the prologue. I kindda regret using first person on the prologue and I decided for my final draft to delete it and replace it with something better...hopefully. The reason why Alex became a werewolf was through the chemicals in the drug. Lastly, the can also breed and become werewolves. It's alot of information I'm thinking of adding later on in the story.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#105 2008-01-06 22:01:36

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#106 2008-01-07 10:59:43

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

heh - I thought noting else could be taken from him. I guess I was wrong...
My word, Punx!

I enjoyed the fact that Alex was in such a deteriorated state. I think, with all that's already happened, it would be the only way that Crowell's men could take him down. That was very strategic, like Crowell was waiting for exactly that to happen so he could catch Alex. Very nice. I certainly wasn't expecting Crowell to frame him for murder, though. That was an interesting twist.
  I also liked Alex's dilemma: do I tell the coppers, or not? It's a tough choice, because at this point Alex is in danger of thinking he has nothing else to lose. There's also the question of what if they believe him. Could he get the police to take his side?
  I wonder if Crowell is expecting him to confess since he's taken everything away from Alex. But, I'm not going to presume that I can see where you're going with this - you've already thrown some wonderful twists our way when we weren't expecting them.
  I can barely wait for more..

#107 2008-01-09 19:07:07

punxnotdead

Thank you very much, Grayle...I hope you enjoy the segment. Here's another bit before I go off and do a load of homework.

*Been edited...

Last edited by punxnotdead (2008-01-09 19:08:29)

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#108 2008-01-09 21:50:57

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very interesting dream sequence. I liked the descriptions of the night sky.

Crowell. I really hate that guy.
Having him laughing and giddy over framing Alex really showed how unstable he's become. It was a very twisted depiction, kinda close to disturbing, but still believable. It was a very nice balance to the combination.

I also enjoyed Alex's musings. When you're stuck in a cell, what else is there to do but think and sleep? It's going to be interesting to see what develops from Alex's little experiment in metal fatigue...

Last edited by Grayle (2008-01-10 00:39:53)

#109 2008-01-12 21:40:56

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#110 2008-01-12 22:27:08

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

This is incredibly fantastic, Punx - True friendship in action. I can't tell you what a wonderful testimony to true friendship that you've created here. It's a phenomenal addition.
  (Just a thought: It might be a cute line if you had Steven make some snide remark under his breath about how Alex owes him a new picture frame, and Alex doesn't understand... it's totally unnecessary; I just thought it might be a cute remark..)

I adored the description of the hammer against his ribs - that worked very well, as did the looming buildings.

As to the Escape, it was nice and quick - but not too quick, either. However, pulling the bars out of their spaces may be, from a physics standpoint, insufficient to simply bending the bars out of the way; but it also depends on the design of the cells themselves, so don't worry about it too much.

I can't help but speculate as to where Alex is heading next, but I'm going to wait to see if I'm right when you get to post your next segment.
  You've really got an awesome story here, Punx.

#111 2008-01-15 21:29:48

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#112 2008-01-16 00:16:02

Grey_Tsume

Need more story. Must have more. This is getting good.

Pain is good....it lets you know your alive.
Boredom is an ugly thing.

#113 2008-01-16 13:20:20

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Me Likey, Punx!
I liked the TF sequence - especially the part where you mentioned his paws were 'able to cover long distances over snow-encrusted earth'. You added a correlation to the current setting, and it really added flavour to the sequence. Very well done!

The sequence with Shubert was very well-told from his perspective. You had me going with why a cop would carry around silver bullets, but having him call Crowell explained that very well.

I also really appreciated the subtle discomfort that Steven showed when Alex appeared at his door and he let him into his house. Steven knew who it was, but it was like he still felt disheveled over the discovery that his friend had been a werewolf all this time - or that werewolves exist, for that matter. He was still a bit awkward dealing with it all. In my opinion, that was very realistic.

It's going to be interesting to see how Alex explains his past..

#114 2008-01-19 22:34:40

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#115 2008-01-20 02:45:59

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

lol -thanks very much, Punx. Personally, I'm just glad I got a fix of your story! I was checking just about every day in case you posted and I didn't get an update! smile

I love the simple yet effective explanations that Alex is giving. I also liked how he was humble enough to appreciate that the was at least partially responsible for the strain on their friendship. It takes a lot of fortitude to do that. I also enjoyed Steven's matter-of-fact response. It's kind of like his attitude is 'okay, this is how it is. What's next?'
  The term 'water off a duck's back' comes to mind. I like that a lot.

However, you may wish to leave out the Hulk comment for 2 reasons: one, just in case of copyright issues with Marvel Comics, and two, because one of the factors for Bruce Banner becoming the Hulk is due to his suffering from multiple personality disorder. Just so you know.

I am sooooo totally captivated! I can hardly stand waiting to see what Alex has in store! What ingenious plan is forming in his lupine mind?
Oh, please post soon..

#116 2008-01-23 19:50:22

punxnotdead

Here's some more. I just finished two of my 4 exams. The other two are next week so I'll have time to write!!! I haven't written in about 2 weeks, so, because I'm in a good mood, I'll post some more.

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#117 2008-01-24 11:00:43

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

*Labrador gathers papers on floor and rolls them up, then hits Shubert with them*
"Bad Shubert! Bad Cop!"

sry - I could barely resist. Okay, now that I got that out of my system..

I like how you've developed Shubert enough for the reader to relate to both him and his predicament. He was trying to take a short cut in achieving his dream, and things went tragically wrong as the deal he made started to go sour. Of course, you don't say all of that specifically, and you really don't have to. The circumstances speak for themselves.
  Very well done, Punx!

#118 2008-01-26 22:39:36

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#119 2008-01-28 01:19:57

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

hmmmm... tragic sub-character, or reluctant ally?
Or, perhaps, something else...?

There's obviously more to Shubert than I originally thought there would be. Very interesting.
Fair be it to tell, your tale begets questions forming in your reader's mind about the untold outcome befalling said brother of the younger. Oh, it will very well be a-captivating to see where you a-lead us from here! 
(That weird wordage is my Thomas Hardy imitation. It's not a very good one. Sorry.)

In any case, this telling from Shubert's point of view offers a decent sub-plot that mixes well with the rest of the story. This is yet another characteristic of superior novels that your story is exhibiting.
  Well done, Punx!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-01-28 01:20:45)

#120 2008-01-28 22:08:54

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#121 2008-01-29 11:43:55

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very interesting synopsis of the drug listed here. It makes you wonder what Crowell's intentions for the drug really are, and why he wants it out in the public so badly. Very interesting indeed.

Alex's replies seemed to have a bit of a 'cold bite' to them - at least when compared to his replies to Steven back in the office. It will be interesting to see if there's a hidden reason for their abrasiveness developing in the near future. If so, it's a wonderfully subtle yet alternative form of foreshadowing!

Forgive me for asking, but I wasn't sure about this: in the first paragraph, Steven was wearing a woolen jacket and Alex doesn't mind the cold. Is Alex the one wearing the threadbare sweater, or was it a stranger who passed them? I couldn't tell.

The description of the shiver in the final paragraph was tantalizing! The wordage reminded me of an old storyteller next to the fire. That was terrific!
  I can't wait to see what Alex does to try to calm Steven down. I'm definitely ready for the next segment whenever you are..

Last edited by Grayle (2008-01-30 11:02:44)

#122 2008-01-31 21:43:35

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#123 2008-02-01 12:07:54

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very Very Very wonderful development, Punx!

I really enjoyed what Alex did to the credit card, and the explanation he gave for it. That was well thought out, and the sudden action was surprising. Nice addition!

I absolutely loved where you ended the segment, and who they met up with! It seems so logical that they'd be patrolling their territory, so of course they'd take note of 2 individuals approaching. It's an outcome that is both simple and logical; and I didn't see it coming, which made it even better!

Waiting patiently for more..

#124 2008-02-04 00:45:13

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#125 2008-02-04 01:22:22

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very nice, Punx; easy to follow, too. It was nice to see Alex win Steven's appreciation by choosing their friendship over the other werewolves. Another testament to true friendship.
...And who's this Jason, anyway? I guess we'll see soon enough.

Bring on more when you can! smile

Addendum: I have a theory as to why Martina changed her mind when Alex made his choice clear, but we'll see if I'm right when you continue..

Last edited by Grayle (2008-02-07 15:51:59)

Board footer