The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#151 2008-03-06 11:05:25

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: Werewolf in the shadows

This was a very touching couple of scenes, Punx.

Steven's destitute predicament was really well-described, as was the weather topside.

The scene with Olivia and Alex was also well-done. The delicate description you used with their proximity toward each other and how it affected Alex really intensified the scene very well. Perhaps some shuffling of the sentences that you already have here might increase the order and flow, but what you have here is terrific!

Actually, I only noticed one thing, only one, that stood out as a possible obstacle: the batting eyelashes. There's no problem with mentioning long eyelashes, but in many of today's societies, batting the eyelashes has developed into a sarcastic, insincere stereotype that you may wish to avoid.

That's the only thing I could find right off, Punx. I think what you have here is well-written, and only needs at most a little clean-up, like you mentioned before.

Well Done!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-03-06 11:50:07)

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#152 2008-03-08 21:36:53

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#153 2008-03-09 19:45:47

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

This was an excellent way of bringing up the suspense. It looks as though Shubert is in a similar conundrum as Jason; it's going to be very interesting to see how those two pan out. I also liked how Steven was still considering the idea of going back. He only needed something to help him overcome his fear and coax him into it. I think that worked pretty well.

I think there were a couple of sentences in the segment before Chapter 10 that could be re-worded, but other than that you've got a great segment here once again, Punx! Well Done!

#154 2008-03-12 23:33:10

punxnotdead

Sorry for the delay. I got caught up in my painting, which isn't going over so well hmm
Anyways, I just finished this piece. It's been slow going because I have so many other hobbies (one of which includes watching Smallville smile )
I'll post more As soon as I have it done...thanks!

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#155 2008-03-13 02:26:10

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Exquisite, Punx.

The tension mounted well as I read about Steven's breathing and heartbeat, and his meager attempts at rationalization were a wonderful addition. I liked the faint insinuations that he was being stalked, and the simile about the wolves was a deliciously ironic touch!

And before you start to get concerned that Steven being caught is too much of a stereotypical damsel in distress, don't worry; that kind of stereotype is usually more necessary than not, so it's officially exempt.

I wonder if Sherry could see what happened; or if not, I wonder if she'll go looking for Steven when he doesn't return. I wonder what Alex is going to do when he finds out that Steven is caught! Ooooh, the tension is still building even after I'm finished reading the segment! I'm riveted!

Once again, this is a great addition, Punx! Well done!

#156 2008-03-14 22:59:09

punxnotdead

Here's some more, Grayle...thanks for the comments.

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#157 2008-03-15 16:29:33

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Ha! That answers that question! wink

Very interesting addition here, Punx. This segment adds a bit of character development to Sherry, who we haven't really met before. Though she's a minor character, she's the main character in this segment, so it's only fitting that we get to know her better. Also, Steven will have someone to keep him company on the way to Crowell. If you decided to write it, this could prove useful for Steven, allowing him to tell someone else what he knows. Hearing himself explain it to someone else may help develop his resolve that it's actually the truth. However, depending on how you write it, it could affect the story flow or pace.

To the contrary, I really liked how you didn't add too much development to the henchmen, but only supplied them with what was necessary. What's more, you didn't have them try to take advantage of her in some fashion. I've always despised that kind of development - it's shallow, disturbing, and unfortunately used way too often in low-quality stories.
  The fact that you didn't take that route only validates the high caliber of your writing, Punx, and you should be commended for that.

Just as a side note, you could theoretically add a little cameo for Sherry earlier in the story, perhaps when Alex and Steven are working in the office. That way it doesn't feel like you're introducing a new character near the end of the story. Does that make sense?
Anyway, just a thought.

Either way, Punx, you've once again proven how good a writing this is, and how good a writer you are.

Good job, Punx.

#158 2008-03-17 15:37:34

LoupGarouAngel
Website

Just got the chance to catch up on this Punx,and let me tell you,if you DO NOT get a career in writing,I may have to hunt you down.Your use of detail is perfect,just fits right in and gives the reader a sense of atmosphere.The characters themselves are very well developed,which is a rare thing to find in most pieces,but we really feel the emotions they are going through,just phnomonal!The storyline is great,keeps the reader on edge and ready for me,excellent job Punx,totally amazing work!

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#159 2008-03-19 21:13:54

punxnotdead

Okay, as promised I have more. I'm not overly confident about the last scene. I wanted to rush it because I'm not great at writing about it.
Anyways, tell me what you think.

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#160 2008-03-20 13:54:49

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Sorry about the wait - eye trouble has been limiting my time reading on the screen. As a result, my comments might be off the beaten path, so I apologize in advance if I go too far here.

I really liked the idea of restlessness before the attack, waiting for the signal. That was very fitting. It proved a good basis for Alex's intimidation when approached by Lottamay. You could explore that idea, too, by having Lottamay play with his intimidation - if you wanted to.

The next section, with the continuation of Alex and Olivia, was solid and well-described, no worries there. Your description was spot-on, and you gave hints as to the feelings of the individuals, which can be expanded upon later on. However, it's placement in the story (right before the raid) might possibly prove a distraction to Alex, taking his focus from the raid, perhaps. It depends on his experience with these types of feelings, and how much control he has over them. Of course, if you were intending on impending doom for Olivia, this is typically just the right place for this kind of scene.
  Either way, you've provided yourself with plenty of room to expand the description of events a little, in order to deepen the setting in later drafts. Nicely done!

Adding to that effect, the comment that Alex caught himself up to the present and was more inclined to face the coming adversity helped describe the result of the kiss, as if it infused him with confidence and determination. I like that idea, but if that was your intention, it was still just a bit little vague for the reader. You may want to add more details or possibly be more direct to convey the idea more succinctly.

Just a couple of thoughts:
  Perhaps adding a comment about Olivia's similar anxiety over the raid even though she's been through it before might help might smooth out her approach to Alex by trying to find common ground first - especially since their first attempt at intimacy proved unsuccessful. Also, you could toy around with her making a comment about giving Alex something to look forward to after the raid. It might add a bit to Olivia's confidence, but it could also backfire and turn her into, well, someone you don't want her to be; so if you explore that option, be careful.
  You could also play around with having Lottamay roll her eyes or something as the two kiss, for a speck of humor. 

All I'm really saying is that I know you rushed this a little because it's difficult to write, but your foundation is very solid, and I think you could add to that foundation very easily, and in many ways. You did a great job here, Punx.

Keep it coming!

#161 2008-03-20 21:36:27

LoupGarouAngel
Website

Interestingsection,damn your writing style kicks ass!
"Leisurely, like fog rolling across the ground, she approached him, her pale face devoid of emotion."
Pure raw talent.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#162 2008-03-21 22:25:03

punxnotdead

Thank you for the helpful advice. I was kindaa skeptical of that segment because I get bored while writing slow pieces and I just want to get onto the action...but I need to teach myself to be patient.
Anyways, I hope you like it!

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#163 2008-03-24 12:52:50

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Locked up in a hidden room with no way out, possibly being monitored and definitely being held in place for a sinister purpose later on. Desperation lingers in the air, intensifying every word of the segment.
  Me likey.

I really appreciate your characters, Punx. Take Sherry, for instance: I liked the fact that you didn't have Sherry blaming Steven for her predicament. Sure, he was involved predominantly, but it was her decision to leave the car, and she seems to be willing to accept that accountability. You avoided making her shallow or stereotypical, and that was well done.

Although your internal musings of Steven were also well-described, are you sure you want to keep the comment about Steven straining his brain? It's your choice, of course; it's just that it seemed a little off-tempo to the rest of his internal thoughts somehow. Ah, it's probably just me.

It's really going to be interesting to see how detailed Steven's explanation will be, and how Sherry takes it. At this point, she'll only have his word to go by, and that's usually not enough to win someone over. I can't wait to see how it turns out!
Oh, this is good stuff...

#164 2008-03-26 00:29:50

punxnotdead

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#165 2008-03-26 13:14:54

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

That was incredible, Punx.
This was an intense and brutal segment. Sherry was not only innocent, but a character that we had gotten to know a little, so her death is that much more tragic and vicious. Crowell's murdering her in cold blood really shows how depraved and sinister he really is.

That was chilling. It really makes you wonder how it's going to turn out now.... Can't wait to find out...

#166 2008-03-29 21:46:37

punxnotdead

Thanks, Grayle, it's always a pleasure hearing from you smile

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#167 2008-03-31 12:57:48

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Holy crap! That was exciting!
  I liked how each member had a specific job to do - Lottamay set the explosives, Olivia scoured the paperwork for more clues, and Alex searched for captives. That turned out very well, I thought.

The description of the difficulty in traction and using claws to compensate was a great idea! You may wish to add a point about the claws piercing the tiles just to solidify the action, but it was still very easy to pick up on how the compensation was accomplished.

Wonderful place to finish the segment! BOOM! Talk about a cliffhanger!

Oh, this is really getting intense! Keep it coming, please!

#168 2008-04-02 00:32:49

punxnotdead

Thanks Grayle!

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#169 2008-04-02 00:52:30

Grey_Tsume

Dun Dun Daa!!! tongue Ha ha Ha very nice can't wait to see more

Pain is good....it lets you know your alive.
Boredom is an ugly thing.

#170 2008-04-02 13:26:46

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

This was a heavy sequence, Punx, and rightfully so! Very exciting indeed!

I appreciated the references to how Alex was affected by the surroundings - the smoke, the sounds, and even the smells. It adds a lot to the environment as well as interaction with the character. The description of the soldier firing at Alex was also very well-played, and added calculated dexterity to Alex's ability. I liked that.

I simply can't wait to see if my prediction is correct as to who the shadowy figure turns out to be! You've really got your audience on the edge of their seat, Punx! Well done!

#171 2008-04-03 23:54:48

punxnotdead

I just finished writing this five minutes ago.

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#172 2008-04-08 18:06:47

punxnotdead

I may have more up within the next few days. I'm on my spring break, but I have to work the whole time, so I'll have difficulty getting time to write...let alone, the motivation.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#173 2008-04-10 14:10:20

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Holy Guacamole with cheese! You just keep building up the excitement, don't you?

As a friendly jest, I'd assume you've been building up to this sequence since you came up with your title. wink Although, your title could also be relating to the dark werewolf beast hiding in the shadows of Alex's mind, but I think that's just my analytical side stretching for creative correlations...

Again, your descriptions are superb. I loved the feeling of impending doom you created when Shubert saw the beast coming in for the kill. I also liked the subtle idea of how the hunter became the hunted, and vice versa. This whole sequence had a terrific balance of action, suspense, and even a bit of terror.
  Though you could tinker with it a bit to increase one or more of the emotions involved (if you wanted to), it turned out very well as is and doesn't really need any modification. Great Job!

I'm looking forward to seeing if Alex gains control over the beast within. Even more so, I'm really interested to see if he finds Steven, or what happened to Olivia and Lottamay. I know we haven't reached the climax quite yet, but this sequence was a great way to whet the appetite of the reader!

Well Done, Punx!

#174 2008-04-12 21:13:21

punxnotdead

I finally got some more done last night. I was let off work early, so I managed to get in a few minutes of writing. Thank you, Grayle, I'm in the middle of reading your posts. smile

*Been edited...

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#175 2008-04-14 15:34:49

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

That was a terrific segment, Punx!
  I like the Jekyl/Hyde development you're giving to Alex and the Beast within - it's a storyline that has never been used in quite this fashion in any other Werewolf story. It's unique, and adds a dichotomy to Alex's existence that is more... workable, than the classic conundrum of being cursed with turning into a monster periodically. I like it.

I have to admit that I was expecting Alex to come across Steven as he continued, but I feel like this is even better. It's tragic, actually, since he's already lost everything tangible, he started to gain friends again, and now he's lost all of those. I would imagine that he would now be very determined put a stop to all of this. With that in mind, I (along with any future readers, undoubtedly) am extremely looking forward to how Alex is going to resolve this!

Well Done, Punx!

Last edited by Grayle (2008-04-14 15:36:01)

Board footer