The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2007-11-11 03:40:46

king2wolves

Wulf & Batsy

There's another werewolf comic coming out next year by viper comics, Here's how the creator describes his comic.

"My comic book Wulf and Batsy chronicles the adventures of a big bad Werewolf named Wulf and a feisty little Vampiress named Batsy, as they wander the earth in search of a place to call home and companions to call friends. Such things are not easily found. Wulf and Batsy have no guilt about feeding on human beings – that is simply their nature. But unfortunately, such behavior makes them outcasts everywhere they go.It’s not an easy thing to be a monster."

http://www.cryptlogic.net/

http://www.somethingagogo.com/cryptlogic.jpg

#2 2007-11-11 13:43:11

The Busboy
Administrator

Re: Wulf & Batsy

I've heard of this one, sounds very cool.  Nice artwork on that site!

#3 2007-11-11 13:45:07

The Busboy
Administrator

Check post #59 at this link (I guess it was a one-shot at one point):
http://forum.werewolfcafe.com/viewtopic … 55&p=3

#4 2007-11-11 17:12:38

BryanBaugh
Website

Hi, everybody. I'm the guy who makes the "Wulf and Batsy" comics. The site administrator, was kind enough to send me an e-mail and let me know this conversation was going on! Thanks for all your interest in my comic. I am flattered that people are talking about it and would be happy to answer any questions about it that you may have.

#5 2007-11-11 20:57:40

The Busboy
Administrator

Welcome to The Werewolf Cafe Bryan! Please tell us everything you can about your comic! Best of luck to you with it!

#6 2007-11-11 21:57:35

BryanBaugh
Website

Thanks! Well, to put it in a nutshell, "Wulf and Batsy" is about a werewolf (named Wulf) and a cute little female vampire (named Batsy) who are friends, and the adventures they have as they aimlessly roam around America. They are mostly just trying to find a good place to stop, and figure out exactly what their relationship is to each other. But they constantly run into obstacles in the form of angry humans or rival monsters. A lot of bloody, gory action and violence usually ensues. Then Wulf and Batsy wander away in a state of melancholy confusion, still wondering where they stand in the world and with each other.

I try to write and draw it with a certain sweet, emotional quality but I'm such an old-school gorehoud at heart, that it tends to turn out gooofy and grisly no matter what! Imagine the humorous, cute, artsy weirdness of a Richard Sala comic combined with the straightforward, gruesome, old fashioned horror style of E.C. Comics, and you have "Wulf and Batsy".

#7 2007-11-12 01:26:05

king2wolves

Is there a release date planned?

#8 2007-11-12 01:46:10

BryanBaugh
Website

They tell me February of 2008.

#9 2007-11-12 02:26:13

king2wolves

Cool, keep us updated and show us some previews, i mean if you can.

Last edited by king2wolves (2007-11-12 02:27:56)

#10 2007-11-12 19:04:54

The Busboy
Administrator

Can't wait, I still feel bad I could never get a copy of the one-shot that came out.  Cool artwork!

#11 2007-11-12 19:06:50

The Busboy
Administrator

P.S. Cool that you are both the artist and the writer, that's quite the talent!

#12 2007-11-12 19:38:04

jesterpress
Website

Love Bryan's style so Wulf and Batsy should be kick ass!

#13 2007-11-13 01:07:06

BryanBaugh
Website

The Busboy wrote:

Can't wait, I still feel bad I could never get a copy of the one-shot that came out.  Cool artwork!

You will be happy to know that because it has been picked up by a new publisher, the whole series is basically getting a re-start from the beginning. So the 2005 Wulf and Batsy one-shot comic will be reprinted in the new Viper Comics "Wulf and Batsy" series issues #1&2... (the 2005 one-shot was a 64 page story but the Viper issues are only 32 pages each... so we gotta put it out in two issues.) Hope I explained that well. It probably sounds confusing now but it will make sense when it's finally in print.

So, bottom line, those who already read the one-shot will have to put up with re-reading it for the first two issues of the new Viper series. But we wanted to do it that way, because that 2005 one-shot had such a small print run that we're betting most people haven't even seen it before. And it really does offer, in my mind, an ideal introduction to the characters.

Starting with Issue #3, it's a whole new story that nobody on earth except me and a handfull of my close friends and family has ever seen before.

#14 2007-11-13 01:08:33

BryanBaugh
Website

The Busboy wrote:

P.S. Cool that you are both the artist and the writer, that's quite the talent!

Aww thanks, that's very kind of you.

#15 2007-11-13 01:09:58

BryanBaugh
Website

jesterpress wrote:

Love Bryan's style so Wulf and Batsy should be kick ass!

Thanks! If you like old fashioned monsters, violence, and scantily clad female characters you will have a blast with this comic book.

#16 2007-11-13 14:52:27

jesterpress
Website

let's see....

Monsters...check
Violence....check...
scantily clad females...check...double check...check again..

yeah...so this should rock!

#17 2007-11-13 19:10:37

The Busboy
Administrator

BryanBaugh wrote:

You will be happy to know that because it has been picked up by a new publisher, the whole series is basically getting a re-start from the beginning. So the 2005 Wulf and Batsy one-shot comic will be reprinted in the new Viper Comics "Wulf and Batsy" series issues #1&2... (the 2005 one-shot was a 64 page story but the Viper issues are only 32 pages each... so we gotta put it out in two issues.) Hope I explained that well. It probably sounds confusing now but it will make sense when it's finally in print.

So, bottom line, those who already read the one-shot will have to put up with re-reading it for the first two issues of the new Viper series. But we wanted to do it that way, because that 2005 one-shot had such a small print run that we're betting most people haven't even seen it before. And it really does offer, in my mind, an ideal introduction to the characters.

Starting with Issue #3, it's a whole new story that nobody on earth except me and a handfull of my close friends and family has ever seen before.

Cool, so I will get a chance to get a copy after all, awesome.  I remember trying to track a copy down for like weeks like a year or more ago.  Thank you for all the information!

#18 2007-11-13 19:11:31

The Busboy
Administrator

Are you going to be at any upcoming comic book conventions?

#19 2007-11-14 03:02:47

BryanBaugh
Website

The Busboy wrote:

Are you going to be at any upcoming comic book conventions?

No conventions in the near future. Partly because my day-job keeps me too busy to travel too often, and because there just aren't enough good cons that I know of, around the general area where I live now.

When I lived back in the Midwest, I used to hit five or six cons a year, just as a fan. ChicagoCon, The Detroit Motor City Con, I was living in Columbus, Ohio at the time so of course I'd always hit the Mid-Ohio Con... And then there'd always be these little cons in Pennsylvania, Kentucky, etc... back in those days me and my friends used to hit them all.

But in 1996 I moved to Southern California, and since then, the only comic book convention I ever make it to anymore, is San Diego Con, which I have attended almost every year since.

But I am also interested in attending APE - the Alternative Press Expo... which I have never been to once. And some of my friends at Viper keep trying to talk me into flying out there sometime for the big Dallas convention, which I would like to do eventually.

But the first issue of my comic doesn't even come out until February '08 so I've got plenty of time to think about that stuff.

#20 2007-11-14 03:22:30

MarkOne
Website

Hey there, been reading the posts about your comic book and it's definitely something I want to check out. Glad to hear they're bringing back the one shot to reintroduce it to the new readers.

I'm curious to know if Wulf is a werewolf all the time or does he change back into a human from time to time.

Either way, I'm looking forward to picking up the comic and let me extend my welcome to the Cafe. smile

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#21 2007-11-14 03:32:11

BryanBaugh
Website

MarkOne wrote:

Hey there, been reading the posts about your comic book and it's definitely something I want to check out. Glad to hear they're bringing back the one shot to reintroduce it to the new readers.

I'm curious to know if Wulf is a werewolf all the time or does he change back into a human from time to time.

Either way, I'm looking forward to picking up the comic and let me extend my welcome to the Cafe. smile

Well, nice to meet you and thanks for your interest in my comic!

To respond...

I also think it's a good idea for them to reprint the one-shot, for story reasons. But I have to admit there's a part of me... the "artist part"... that can't help thinking, "but that stuff seems so OLD to me now! I can draw so much better than that now! On a bi-monthly schedule, it's gonna be another year or more, before people start seeing my CURRENT material!!!" But it is also a good thing, to be a year or more ahead of schedule... so I'm not going to complain too much!

Yes - Wulf does have a "human form".

Thank you again! I am glad to find a cool website and forum like this!

#22 2007-11-14 17:55:05

The Busboy
Administrator

Glad you joined the site here too!  I am really excited about your comic, because like I mentioned I had been looking for it for over a year or so now, and all the art I saw looks so good.  I have to say, I really like the artwork on your website too, so what are your favorite monsters?  Werewolves and vampires?  Are you a fan of the Universal Studios Monsters at all?  How long did it take you to do your original one-shot?  Sounds like it was a big project?  Did you take art and/or creative writing in school?  I've been to some of the comic conventions you mentioned.  If you check the forums here, you'll see a lot of people on this site go to many of them (lots of comic book people on this site).

#23 2007-11-14 23:17:45

BryanBaugh
Website

Wow that's a lot of questions! Let me try to answer them all one by one...

Favorite monsters? Well, Werewolves and Zombies tend to make me the happiest. Zombies are definitely the most fun monsters to draw because they can look like anything, from a normal human with weird eyes to a rotted skeleton. But I like the concept of the werewolf best. And werewolves are fun to draw cause they're just so darn ferocious and wild. I really like vampires a lot too, but I don't know why. Something about their power, their age really appeals to me.

Asking me if I like the classic Universal Monsters is like asking a Chinese kid if he likes rice. That's the stuff I was born and raised on!

The original one shot comic took me a few months to do, just because it had to be done on "spare time" from my day job. If I were able to do comics full-time, I would have no problem turning out a page a day. I work really fast, as long as the rest of the world will leave me alone. Unfortunately it never wants to do that!

Yes I took a lot of art and creative writing classes in school. I attended Columbus College of Art and Design for 4 years.

Nice to know there are plenty of comic book people on this forum! Cause that's what I do!

#24 2007-11-15 01:46:07

MarkOne
Website

BryanBaugh wrote:

Asking me if I like the classic Universal Monsters is like asking a Chinese kid if he likes rice. That's the stuff I was born and raised on!

Haha cool man. I love the classic Universal Monsters as well. Those movies definitely set the tone as a fan I am now.

Another question, will your stories have the same type of feel as the classic Monsters stories or will they run the gambit?

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#25 2007-11-15 02:41:26

king2wolves

How come Wulf & batsy is coming out next year and not this year?

Also will Wulf exhibit new abilities that has never before has been seen on a werewolf?

Board footer