The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2004-12-13 23:10:02

Speedbump

Re: Do you believe werewolves ever existed? Where did the idea come from?

Is that a pseudo-reference to the "Wolves of God" portrayed in Brotherhood of the Wolf?

#27 2004-12-13 23:41:25

WolfVanZandt
Website

Yeah. That would have been the translation-from-French version. There's a legend that Saint Peter created Werewolves but suspect the legend is a mythologized version of the conversion of the European Werewolves, nominally by St. Christopher. I guess it might also have to with with the fact that Peter's brother Andrew was one of the first missionaries to the Neuri. The Dogs of God was the other term used by the early medieval church in referring to Werewolves. During the Inquisition, the Dominicans took the title over (Dominican = Domini Canis). In fcat, the early medieval Werewolves may have actually been the precursors to the Inquistion. There's some evidence that the church used them as enforcers.

#28 2004-12-16 12:42:01

slave2moonlight
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Heh. What time? There was a time when Werewolves were Christian.

Actually, some still are. wink Though I doubt we'd be accepted by the current mainstream Christians. I know it's something I couldn't bring up with my parents, ha, despite the fact that it must run in one of their bloodlines.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#29 2004-12-16 12:45:37

slave2moonlight
Website

RedStreak wrote:

I think I saw a Discovery-channel special about people with that condition.  There was one family of circus performers who inherited that trait.

I knew a lady once who was formerly a circus person and new those Wolf boys, who live in Mexico City or somewhere down there. Suppose to be great guys.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#30 2004-12-16 12:50:12

The Busboy
Administrator

S2M, feel free to open any new forums as needed.

#31 2004-12-16 13:02:33

slave2moonlight
Website

The Busboy wrote:

O.k., here's where we get into religion vs. science, so be careful here...

Some quick comments...

Regarding dinosaurs and man, according to science, they didn't exist at the same time (and were wiped out, so they would be on different branches of an evolutionary timeline).  Early man evolved much later on an evolutionary timeline.

Well, Cadre already commented on the evolution thing, so I just want to add that Evolution is still merely a theory. It has never been proven. I suppose that's what he meant by saying it is not science. It's rather disturbing the way it is being taught and accepted as a fact nowadays, knowing that it has not been proven (and really can't be proven, as I believe I've even read that Charles Darwin himself once said). Personally, I can't see how it is logically possible without living in a world that looks like the Star Wars cantina. Seems a bit odd that only one type of creature would evolve in this direction. Natural selection I can buy, but I don't buy such huge leaps as ape to man. However, it's all up to the individual, but it should be recognized that at this point, a theory or a religion is the best title for it. It's an easy thing to put stock into though, because it certainly provides a lot of moral freedom. You always have that "You and me baby ain't nothin' but mammals, so let's do it like they do on the Discovery Channel" excuse. It's no surprise that the country/planet is having so much trouble hanging onto any moral stability while simultaneously trying to turn evolution into the world religion. But okay, okay, this is my opinion. Not trying to offend anyone. But another thing worth mentioning is that, again, even the timelines, and all the stuff about dinosaurs and man living together, still comes down to just theory. Afterall, dinosaur fossils and human fossils HAVE been found together from what I recall reading. I, personally, and of course, you have a right to disagree, believe dinosaurs and man DID share the Earth. I believe they were wiped out by the great flood that is talked about in many cultures and religions, and I believe some might still be around. I certainly believe they are the cause for the legends of dragons and great serpents from various continents, and I certainly don't think it was just their bones that inspired those tales. But of course, those are just theories too, the ones I subscribe to, no more solid than any other, but no weaker than those of evolution or carbon dating, etc... Basically, if you weren't there, you're guessing or going on faith. These ideas that are now being depicted as fact, such as evolution, the age of the Earth and the timeline of the dinosaurs, are simply theory based on theory based on theory. Pretty shaky groundwork, but a few facts thrown in here and there and at the base make them look good.

#32 2004-12-16 13:04:58

slave2moonlight
Website

The Busboy wrote:

S2M, feel free to open any new forums as needed.

You mean about the Mexican Wolf Boys (as I believe they're called)? Well, I don't remember many details, it was several years back, so that's probably about all I have to throw in on that subject, ha. I remember in High School, when I was trying to learn more about my persuasion, and saw some medieval portraits of a family with the same condition. That was a trip!

#33 2004-12-16 13:45:30

slave2moonlight
Website

Oh, and before someone throws in that carbon dating is factually reliable, I was referring to long scale. I believe it's been confirmed that carbon dating is useless if something isn't at least a certain number of years old. There is no way to be certain that it is reliable when it tells us something is millions of years old, because there's no way to verify it. The bottom line is, our written records are all we have, trust them or don't.

#34 2004-12-17 19:30:48

WolfVanZandt
Website

Actually, it's best to "don't". Meaning to get as much supporting data as possible on any piece of history because, as evryone knows, history is written by the conquerors.

#35 2004-12-17 19:33:07

WolfVanZandt
Website

C14 was theoretically reliable, then a guy used an old tree to test it's reliability and found that it wasn't, in fact, reliable, so the science community added a correction factor (also known as a "finagle factor") so that the results lined up with the reality. So it' reliable to  a few hundred years back. Beyond that, we can't calibrate it.

#36 2004-12-18 03:36:08

slave2moonlight
Website

Thanks for the details on that WVZ. I thought I had heard something like that before.

#37 2004-12-18 03:41:12

Cadre
Website

Carbon dating is only good for approximately 2000 years of dating knowledge and that information comes from the founder of the process himself.

slave2moonlight wrote:

Oh, and before someone throws in that carbon dating is factually reliable, I was referring to long scale. I believe it's been confirmed that carbon dating is useless if something isn't at least a certain number of years old. There is no way to be certain that it is reliable when it tells us something is millions of years old, because there's no way to verify it. The bottom line is, our written records are all we have, trust them or don't.

#38 2004-12-18 03:59:37

WolfVanZandt
Website

Uranium dating goes much further back but, then, there are no trees that old.......

#39 2004-12-18 04:11:33

WolfVanZandt
Website

S2M, not all Weres can be open about their Wereism, but I fell into the right circumstances and became established before I became open about being a Werewolf. I'm known and respected as an evangelist and a professional and I don't make it a secret that I'm a Werewolf. So maybe there's a chance that we can get back to where we used to be.

There was a topic on Crosswalk (one of the largest Christian sites on the Internet) about therianthropy and I opened up there. A few of the posters were sorta difficult, but most of them  were positive (No, they did'nt accept the premise of RL Werewolves but they accepted me despite the fact that I openly declared that I am a Werewolf.)

#40 2004-12-18 05:15:03

slave2moonlight
Website

I actually spent a short amount of time on Crosswalk...last year I think it was, but ended up abandoning it. I tend to have two problems with using web-boards and churches/Christian fellowship: Censorship is one of them, the other is the hypocritical judgmentalism. This has been a great webboard so far on both counts. I lasted quite a while (for me, anyway) at the Disney fan board, "Laughing Place," but... ha. This is probably the longest I have stayed on a web-board.

#41 2004-12-18 12:38:41

WolfVanZandt
Website

I know what you mean. In fact, Crosswalk is better than most on both accounts, so that's why I stay off the others.There are a couple of Christian Goth boards that I haunt nowdays and there are about 3 other Christian boards that I go to occassionally. Frankly, there's way too much bickering on the others.

I had a run in with a board callled ExWitch recently. I kept seeing Therians say things like "I rejected my Wereside for the Lord" and such and the admins were saying, "You can't be Were and Christian," so I very loudly proclaimed that there's no conflict between Christianity and Wereism and, since they couldn't counter me, they banned me.....which s alright because they let slip on the email they sent me that all the Therians started saying "If VanZandt's a Werewolf and a christian, I can be too." So my work was done there.  smile

But really it's no laughing mmatter, Sites like that (That's ExWitch E...x...W...i...t...c...h) are dangerous to young, inexperienced Weres. A Therian can't just get rid of their Wereside; it's an essential part of them. If they repress it, they begin having all kinds of neurotic problems. It ain't pretty. But where ExWitch banned me; Crosswalk stuck with me. So I'm staying there for the time being. There's serious problems in the church and if nobody confronts them, the problems won't go away.

#42 2004-12-18 19:05:12

slave2moonlight
Website

Well said.

#43 2004-12-18 20:48:38

NinjaWolf

So, are there any werewolf pastors? That'd be cool! I would love to have one at my church every Sunday! big_smile

Silly, werewolf! Tricks are for ninjas! XD

#44 2004-12-18 22:15:18

RedStreak

Oddly enough Ninja, Steven King's Cycle of the Werewolf places the werewolf as a pastor.  Towards the end of the book, he slowly seemed to be surcumming to madness...reasoning that his lycanthropy was the will of God.

I believe there's also an old werewolf tale (no pun intended wink ) regarding a MONK who turned out to be a werewolf of a good nature - in his case he was cursed by a witch and yet used his shape-shifting for good believe it or not.

"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow"
-Tigatron, Beast Wars

#45 2004-12-19 00:26:15

WolfVanZandt
Website

Aye, and there's been several saints (canonized, that is) that were Werewolves or were associated with them. The most famous was Christopher. and there's at least one Werewolf evangelist. Don't know any Werewolf pastors in person though.....yet.

I keep getting these ads from Chistian dating services. Do you think they could match me up with a 40 or 50-something Werewolf in my area?

(Grumble, mumble....)

#46 2004-12-19 05:17:13

BlueEyesWolf

slave2moonlight wrote:

I lasted quite a while (for me, anyway) at the Disney fan board, "Laughing Place," but... ha. This is probably the longest I have stayed on a web-board.

Yes, I remember..and I misssed you when you left. So I really hope you stay in here and don't disappear on me again.

#47 2004-12-19 10:54:04

NinjaWolf

RedStreak wrote:

Oddly enough Ninja, Steven King's Cycle of the Werewolf places the werewolf as a pastor.  Towards the end of the book, he slowly seemed to be surcumming to madness...reasoning that his lycanthropy was the will of God.

I believe there's also an old werewolf tale (no pun intended wink ) regarding a MONK who turned out to be a werewolf of a good nature - in his case he was cursed by a witch and yet used his shape-shifting for good believe it or not.

Steven King, eh? It's not like that remake of the movie "Silver Bullet" by any chance, would it? I know that in the movie the werewolf was a pastor. I really didn't like the werewolf in that one though - it looked like a PIG or a BOAR without tusks!

Anyway, about that old tale you mentioned, if you can dig anything about it, let me know. I like to read it sometime, perhaps making a comic book form out of it. Who knows...wink

#48 2004-12-19 15:41:36

The Busboy
Administrator

NinjaWolf, the movie "Silver Bullet" is based on Stephan King's book "Cylce of the Werewolf."  I own both that book and that DVD movie, I recommend both to true werewolf fans.

#49 2004-12-19 20:13:09

NinjaWolf

Well, if that's the case, I'll have to dig around Best Buy or someplace to get the DVD! The book I believe would have a profound impact. I like the movie, honestly, but the werewolf would've been better, like Harry Potter 3's werewolf *shrugs* Oh well, I seen better ones like "Bad Moon"! wink

#50 2004-12-19 20:35:27

RedStreak

NinjaWolf wrote:

Oh well, I seen better ones like "Bad Moon"! wink

"Bad Moon" was a pretty nice werewolf movie, or rather scarry.  I'd have to put it up in my top 10 werewolf flicks myself.

"Let the trails lead where they may, I will follow"
-Tigatron, Beast Wars

Board footer