The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#101 2005-07-05 20:07:09

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

Re: Do you believe werewolves ever existed? Where did the idea come from?

hmmmm...jamie, i told you once you dont have to be alone all the time.. i spoke with the pack of having a few more non local weres, and well i got a very unanimous response to everything i spoke of, including you...all positive things i might add.. ill be around all night.. msg me when you get in if you could

Author of Blood Bounty, Wolf's Release V2, Man Eaters (incomplete), Aaliyah (in progress), Offer (short story), Hide (short story, published in Wizard), writer for an upcoming webcomic/graphic novel series featuring Aaliyah. 

One of these days I'm going to solicit my work for publishing, it's just that my work is pure and a publishing company needs to be reasonable with content editing...

#102 2005-07-05 22:59:31

JamieD

I gotta work tonite and tomm night...only night off is thursday...pulling a few extra for a friend who is on bedrest for the rest of her pregnancy....interested in hearing what you said...let naya and greg know I said congrats...big_smile 

no allergies...I just like the smell of the woods...have a hard time differentiating things when I'm in there...big_smile I still get turned around on occasion in my own home woods...big_smile  and I'm a sucker for honeysuckle..big_smile

ask not for whom the bell tolls....it tolls for thee.

#103 2005-07-05 23:43:52

Speedbump

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Hmmm.....poison....I can just imagine - but that one got by me. I suspect there's quite a lot opinion-wise that would be rather offensive. But most that you would find on Christian sites dealing with nonChristian religions would be a lot worse.

Actually, my problem with a lot of evangelical types is that they're not informing about Christianity - they're trying to bully people into living according to their own personal lifestyle. That's not supposed to be what evangelism is about.

I agree wholeheartedly. Religion is a double-edged sword depending on the follower. It provides hope and comfort for those who honor the teachings, but others twist the words (already somewhat tarnished from several generations of re-translations and changes in vernacular) into some insane personal quest to weed out those who don't subscribe to those same personal beliefs.

You're probably familiar with the morons over at Westboro Baptist Church; they're a prime example of how to bastardize a religion. We had the displeasure of having to interview a few of them while they were in town picketing (a local lesbian couple was fighting against the school board because their son was expelled for using the word "lesbian" in class -- it made national news). But don't try to convince them that they're assholes; they're armed with a whole slew of biblical quotes they can butcher on the spot.

Anyways, I digress. This is the quote I was referring to from exWitch.

ExWitch.org wrote:

Hypothetical situation: Once I accidentally drank something poisonous and it made me very sick. I was so sick that I could have died from it. Suppose for a moment that I witness another person about to drink this same substance. They really don't know that it's harmful. In fact, someone told them that it's good to drink! What should I do?
    A) let them drink, because their truth might be different from mine...maybe they'll be fine...
    B) let them drink, because we all need to discover the truth for ourselves.
    C) do everything I possibly can to prevent them from dying a horrible death.

Jesus said that we're to love our neighbor as ourselves. How could we not do this work? How could we sit idly by? . . .

The problem with analogies is they're usually off-base. That "poison" might be a blessing to some if handled properly, etc. Like I said, the quote itself doesn't mean any harm, but could easily be construed differently by the weak-minded and/or borderline extremists.

Arg, I could go on and on... but it's best if I stop here. I'm not here to judge, but that site pushed my buttons the wrong way.

WolfVanZandt wrote:

And the only conclusion I can reach is, "Yes, Werewolves exist!"

How'd'ja like that segue. Huh? Huh?

That was a brilliant segue. Better than most of the people in my business can pull off. big_smile

#104 2005-07-06 01:11:16

JamieD

I try not to rationalize other people's beliefs....it makes me frustrated and or angry because...with people such as your Baptists there...i can't fathom what they are thinking or how they could come to such a conclusion. I am pagan because in my experience "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you" was not enough. It was always more money, better clothes...material things that have nothing to do with religion that had me looking for something better. 

Ok...getting off that soapbox and tipping it over....big_smile

#105 2005-07-06 01:36:50

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

yea i keep religion out of the day to day things as much as possible prevent conflicts with ppl i have to interact with.. that and being wiccan isnt exactly cohesive in louisiana bible belt...

Author of Blood Bounty, Wolf's Release V2, Man Eaters (incomplete), Aaliyah (in progress), Offer (short story), Hide (short story, published in Wizard), writer for an upcoming webcomic/graphic novel series featuring Aaliyah. 

One of these days I'm going to solicit my work for publishing, it's just that my work is pure and a publishing company needs to be reasonable with content editing...

#106 2005-07-06 11:59:14

NinjaWolf

That's always a concern. sad

Silly, werewolf! Tricks are for ninjas! XD

#107 2005-07-06 12:01:21

Lupin
Website

I try not to discuss religion on the internet. It's not worth the effort and everyone goes away angry.

#108 2005-07-06 12:03:44

NinjaWolf

Yeah. Too much conflict that I don't wanna touch. sad

#109 2005-07-06 15:42:54

JamieD

religion and politics...always a touchy subject...understand about religion...politics...meh?

#110 2005-07-06 19:37:01

WolfVanZandt
Website

Wow! Speedbump! Does that mean I'm television material!?!!?

Heh, poison....I usually use the "people about to drive off a bridge analogy" but it's not oriented toward telling people what they should or shouldn't do but toward defending evangelism which is simply making Chrsitianity accessible to others.

Hrrmph, Jamie, those were specific Baptists. I'm also a Baptist.....well, I'm really nondenominational but I'm a member of a Baptist church.

smile

Also, you shouldn't judge any religion by the behaviors of it's members. They're probably just being human.

I generally don't have a problem discussing religion or politics as long as I'm discussing them with Therians (on the other hand, there was this one forum thread .....).

With other folk, it might be a little touchy. One thing I try to do is talk about beliefs and not people.

Also, I'm much more comfortable talking about them face-to-face in RL. The Internet allows for way too much misunderstanding.
One thing that never fails to amaze me is that my biggest supporters in the Were Community for evangelism are pagan Weres.

#111 2005-07-06 20:32:29

JamieD

actually WVZ...i apologize if i came off sounding judgemental...i really am not...to each his/her own...I respect others religions...i suppose a small part of me believes that in the grand scheme of things it all revolves around the same entity and in my case i believe that entity consists of masculine and feminine...

#112 2005-07-07 19:23:16

WolfVanZandt
Website

LOL, JamieD, I didn't think you sounded judgemental and had you, I don't think it would have been particularly inappropriate and I don't take offense easily.

I was joking about the Baptist thing (well, I real;ly do go to  a Baptist church but I didn't think you were targeting all Baptist - I figured you was talking about that particular church).

Therians are just about the most diversity tolerant people I know of - Baptists and Pagans (nonTherians) often tend to scruch down to the other end of the spectrum but, heh, they're just Human.

Two things I sorta enjoy doing in a peaceful conversation is myth busting and explaining what Christainity is really about.

As for the myths - many Christians like to talk about other beliefs as though they actually know what their talking about (and they don't). Also, there's a lot of really shocking ideas floating around about Christianity (even in the church) that just plain bear no resemblance to the reality. So it makes for interesting discussions, and like I said, Weres can generally do it without getting personal and nasty - or even uncomfortable. I've only been in one Internet Knockdown drag-out with a Were in the 6 years I've been interacting with Weres on the Internet and that was just too bizarre. But, oh well, if I don't get to show my teeth occassionally, people will think that they've all gone south.

smile

#113 2005-07-07 19:24:41

WolfVanZandt
Website

But thanks for the concern - on the Internet, no one can hear you emote.

smile

#114 2005-07-07 19:29:25

WolfVanZandt
Website

Ah "you shouldn't judge any religion ....". Sorry about that. I was using the general case, as in, "Nobody should judge any religion...."

BTW, it's one of my Pagan friends that's always saying that. Seems like he's usually defending Christians when he says it, too. Looks like a lot of us Christians have  a discrepancy between  what we say we believe and how we act.

#115 2005-07-07 21:51:02

NinjaWolf

It's always a difference between everything nowadays within the religion belt. But, on way or another, people tend to let it go with the flow minute by minute.

#116 2005-07-07 22:53:12

JamieD

I don't mind a good discussion...i revel in them really...time gets lost during a good discussion...as long as I'm not being persecuted for my own beliefs that is....I've been told that I need to be burned at the stake...big_smile

#117 2005-07-08 19:31:19

WolfVanZandt
Website

Aye, even the Christian Werewolves get that if they don't stay vewy, vewy qwiet.

#118 2005-07-08 20:16:06

JamieD

LOL!! hunting weres? LOL!! big_smile

#119 2005-07-08 22:23:08

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

i have ppl bring the burning stake to me!!!! this is louisiana just let any psychotic cult member in on who you are and all the sudden youve got the shotgun brigade on your tail

#120 2005-07-09 13:07:36

WolfVanZandt
Website

There was an outfit in the Pacific Northwest called Hellhouse Investigation who offered their services to hunt down and kill Werewolves. There was some indication that people were actually having problems with them.

I haven't seen their site for some time now. Maybe they went out of business.

#121 2005-07-09 13:12:18

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

out of oregon by chance?

#122 2005-07-09 13:26:02

WolfVanZandt
Website

I believe that it was out of Idaho, but it might have been Oregon, or they might have had branches. Best I could tell, they were a legitimate investigation firm.

The Werewolf thing might have been an advertising gimmick (like the insurance firm in Britain that insured people against Werewolf bites, alien abduction, and vampire bites; but I have heard of Weres being harrassed by them, so I don't know.

#123 2005-07-09 14:59:49

JamieD

I'm not sure why that surprises me...big_smile

#124 2005-07-09 15:56:16

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

i need werewolf insurance....

i dunno we shook down a guy in march with an oregon driver's license so thats why i ask.

#125 2005-10-02 02:11:21

Wolfgar
Website

About this time of year we see tons of stuff about the occult and supernatural and among this ,werewolf info whether they be documented cases,medical explanation,legend and folklore.
  What it comes down to in my opinion and from reading and watching related material over the years is two things; One, these creatures are totally mythical,created to illustrate a purpose to either scare children or to teach and warn them to the more darker ,more primal nature of men,remember that this legend has been around for a long time going back as far as man has been "civilised" and that elder tribesmen and/or shaman warned their people of these creatures and the possibility of becoming one. This was done I think to educate these peoples to hopefully instill wisdom and knowledge to lesser experienced ,younger people and in the end to prevent people from becoming wicked or from going down the dark path.
    ...or Two, these creatures do or did exist at one time,almost all myth and folklore can be based on fact but the myth usually distorts or exaggerates these facts, case in point; "Sasquatch","Bigfoot","Skunk-Ape", "Yeti" ,these are creatures that have a mythology of their own and have a long documented history ,for all I know these creatures or some of them may be extinct by now , but there is just too much documentation dating back to ancient peoples to not think that they existed at one time,simple explanation could be that it is another species of great ape in the world and that over the decades their numbers have dwindled to the point where we hardly hear of them . Unfortunately you do have your occasional nut out there who'll swear up and down that they married one or killed one and ate it's meat-this just tends to trash these creatures whether they be werewolf,bigfoot,or Nessie and the people who do believe in such creatures are often met with ridicule.
    To quote Fox Mulder from one of my favorite TV shows "the X-Files"..."I want to believe!"
  I think that there is definetly "meat on the bone" and though the facts may have been greatly exaggerated over the centuries through man's naivete ,the world still holds many mysteries,and maybe some will never be solved...but also know this...maybe some doors shouldn't be opened . :l

the SURFACE ART STUDIOS. cool
www.vinsonsbookstore.com/shawn.html

Board footer