The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-01-07 12:39:56

wolfsongx

Scotophobia

I havn't posted a story in a while, I hope that you all enjoy this one.

The young boy lay very still.  “Can’t make noise, must stay still and quiet, still and quiet, “he thought to himself.  The sheets of his bed were pulled up over his head; his eyes were shut so tightly that he was getting a headache.  “Mommy said I’d be safe under the covers; oh please don’t let them get me.  Please, please, please.” 

The nightmares had become progressively worse; each night he would awaken in a panic, drenched in night sweats.  He would yowl for his mother; one of those sounds that frightens mothers, especially a young mother, to death, believing their young ones were in danger.  Every night, for the past year, he would awaken the same way.  They had him to the doctor, to a therapist, even to a hypnotist.  All the tests they ran, all the expense, only to hear the same answer, “Your son is perfectly fine Mr. and Mrs. Gulvane.” 

She and her husband were at their wits end.  All they seemed to do now is argue over their son.  She would say, “The problem didn’t start till we moved to the city.  When we lived at the old farmhouse he was fine.”

“Then that means he’s faking it.  You know he has been nothing but trouble for us since the day he was born!” 

“You don’t mean that, do you Frank?”

“God, I just need to get out of here.  I’ll be back later!”

The boy was still in his bed, unable to sleep.  Afraid that if his vigil waned, it would take him.  Each night it would come in through the window, he would close his eyes tight. He would hear is creep across the floor and kneel down to his head.  He would feel the breath of the creature, then it would touch his hand, and then he would scream.  “Mommy, please.  Make it go away mommy.”  But tonight, the boy resolved to keep himself covered with his sheet.  “Mommy said to stay underneath the sheet, that way he won’t be able to touch me.”

A while later the young boy was asleep, his eyes were no longer shut tight, now they were sticky with drying tears.  His mother lay on her bed in the room next door, waiting for her husband to swagger in from the bar.  It was his fault; he made then leave her mothers home on the family farm.  All so he could pursue an acting career; of all the flippant things.  These bitter thoughts persisted in her mind, until she finally let go and drifted into an uneasy slumber. 

The next morning she awoke, and was puzzled.  Her son hadn’t screamed all night, she looked around the room and realized the other half of her bed hadn’t been turned down.  She went into her son’s room and couldn’t believe her eyes.  His room had been torn to shreds.  It appeared to have large claw marks on the walls, even the bed had been torn to pieces.  She called out to him, “JULIAN!”  She heard nothing.  She ran through the small house, screaming his name with every other breath.  She ran outside, “JULIAN, WHERE ARE YOU?”  She collapsed and wept bitterly.  “Where.  Where is my precious baby boy?"

Last edited by wolfsongx (2008-01-15 06:07:36)

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#2 2008-01-07 15:15:47

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: Scotophobia

Interesting beginning, wolfsongx - especially when compared to your chosen title. Given the title, I would venture to conclude that there will be darker times ahead for the characters.
  It will be interesting if the story revolves around Julian or the mother.
  Please add more when you can!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#3 2008-01-15 06:08:17

wolfsongx

A bit more.  Maybe more intresting than the first part.

The darkness surrounded his little body.  Julian felt like he was moving but he didn't understand how.  All he could grasp at that moment was that he was in the middle of what he feared most, the dark.  He began to scream at the top of his lungs and fail his arms and kick his legs, trying to find someway to make the darkness release him.  It felt like he hit something a few times but he was in such a panic he didn't notice.  After a few minuets of that his energy was gone.  Julian felt as though he didn't have the strength to continue, and with tears filling his eyes once more he passed into sleep.

“Finally, I thought that kid would never quite his whining, “ Bart thought to himself.  He replayed the events of that night.  He waited till the kid fell asleep and then his father going out and then his mother going to her room.  He crept in the window and gathered the boy up in his bed clothes.  He held the sack with the boy in one paw and ransacked the room with the other.  He didn't have to do that, he could have woken the boys mother, but the kids room was just so cute he couldn't resist.  Then he jumped from the window to the ground below.  The kid didn't make a peep until he hit the ground.  Then the boo hooing, and the mommy crying started.  Bart dashed to the back alleyway and tried to keep the kid's wailings muffled.  When the kids started punching and kicking it made things all the more difficult.  That little bastard even got a clean hit on his nose.  A little trickle of blood ran down from the nose onto Bart's mouth.  “Heh, “ he thought with a smile across his lips, “this kid will be a fighter, no doubt about that.”

Now, with little Julian sleeping Bart placed the bed clothes cocoon in his mouth and began moving.  He darted between shadows, and alleys.  Avoiding the street where most people were at this time of night.  It didn't take him long to get to the edge of the city.  Without the lights from the city being overhead anymore, and the lovely moonless night, Bart made his way to the tree line of the forest quite easily.  His black and luxurious fur made him nearly invisible on this night.  Once inside the canopy of the forest he went all fours.  He had moved fast through the city on his hind legs only but on all fours he moved even faster. 

After a bit, Bart came to the river, the halfway point to his destination.  His mind filled with warm thoughts.  Soon the family will be together again.  Soon the darkness will be at an end.  Soon the young one will have his first change.

Last edited by wolfsongx (2008-01-15 06:11:32)

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#4 2008-01-15 14:03:19

LunaSky
WereWiccaGoddess
Website

Hummm...I like it. smile Dark and Mysterious. It leaves me wondering who Bart is. why did he steal Julian? Why was Julian having night terrors?

Very nice. Cant wait for the next addition. big_smile

Last edited by LunaSky (2008-01-15 14:05:57)

I can't escape this hell
So many times i've tried
But i'm still caged inside
-Three Days Grace

#5 2008-01-15 17:36:18

Grey_Tsume

Very interesting. What does your title mean

Pain is good....it lets you know your alive.
Boredom is an ugly thing.

#6 2008-01-15 17:40:19

FenrirVik
Space Cowboy

Hmmm Bart is quite the name. But a good story, mmmm like a fine wine.

Synchronicity

#7 2008-01-15 17:41:31

FenrirVik
Space Cowboy

And the title means a fear of the dark-extreme.

Synchronicity

#8 2008-01-15 18:58:34

wolfsongx

Thanks everyone.  I'll try and have another section up before my vacation is over.  smile

#9 2008-01-15 18:59:28

FenrirVik
Space Cowboy

Cool.

Synchronicity

#10 2008-01-15 19:29:47

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

this is incredibly intriguing. Julian was abducted by a werewolf that wants to solidify his family and end the darkness.
That's really interesting!

Timba; his arms open!

#11 2008-01-18 05:32:06

wolfsongx

Ok, part 3:

The air was cold that autumn night.  A slight breeze seemed to make the ancient spirits of the land dance to an unheard music of the moonless night.  The familiar darkness that encompassed the land was contrasted by a warm glow that emanated from the lone farmhouse.  From the windows in the parlor a beautiful amber glow appeared.  Inside you could hear the pop and crackle of the burning wood in the stone fireplace.  These were familiar sounds to those that lived there.  The light that was produced from the fireplace seemed to be the only thing that kept the darkness from consuming the farm house.  The residents of the house were in their beds, experiencing the dreaming, all that is except one.  Agatha remained awake, as she did every night, tending the fire and watching over those asleep.

She placed another log on the fire and watched with a child like wonder as the flame consumed the wood.  Suddenly the grandfather clock rang out one chime.  “One in the morning, I hope he makes it back safely,” she thought to herself.  She began to pace the floor of the parlor.  Though she had been suppressing it since he left a look of worry now crossed her wrinkled face.  A face that had seen it share of joy and sorrow, but now as of late it seemed that sorrow was the only thing that her eyes had been able to recognize.  She kept pacing the floor, ever growing weary of the wait.  She didn't realize how lost in though she was until the clock stuck two chimes.

She went and looked out the window into the silence of the night.  Nothing.  He hadn't made it yet, or maybe he wouldn't make it at all.  She started to turn around, back to the comforting glow of the fire, when she noticed movement at the tree line.  She stared intently until she saw a familiar form emerge from the forest.  It carried something in its mouth which it then removed; then it broke the silence of the night with a long and haunting howl.

Last edited by wolfsongx (2008-02-09 17:37:17)

#12 2008-01-18 15:02:19

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Quite frankly, Wolfsong, your description of the farmhouse was both exquisite and melodious!

You added a side dish of internal musings that complimented the description, and added a hinting or two of more to come that whet our appetites even further.

Stupendous work!

#13 2008-01-18 15:17:29

LunaSky
WereWiccaGoddess
Website

Wow, I really enjoyed the descriptiveness of this section. really beautiful. smile keep it coming.

I can't escape this hell
So many times i've tried
But i'm still caged inside
-Three Days Grace

#14 2008-01-19 05:11:41

wolfsongx

Wow, thanks you guys for the encouragement.  Now my only question is where will I go from here?  Oh well inspiration will hit again.

#15 2008-02-08 18:44:45

wolfsongx

Part 4:
The fire popped and crackled, still giving off its warm and beautiful glow.  Agatha sat in the old rocking chair, cradling little Julian.  He had slept through most of the journey, but she could tell that his slumber was troubled.  He whimpered and tossed in her arms, still being frightened by the images he saw.  Agatha began to sing softly to him, and rock him back and forth.  As she did this Julian began to calm down.  The dreams began to seem less terrifying; they felt more natural.  Almost as if he was supposed to know these dreams but he had forgotten.  The rocking chair made its familiar squeak and creek noises, a sound rarely heard in the house as of late.  This chair was used only on occasions such as this.  When the little ones needing to be comforted; when things needed to make sense; when familiarity was needed.

The rest of the household had been roused from the dreaming at the sound of Bart's howl.  His was one of the most melodious of the whole family.  Everyone, human and wolf kin alike, raced downstairs as Bart brought Julian in.  Everyone was shocked by how small he was.  “He's nearly of age why is he so small?  Has living away from us for so long caused him to become ill?”  These thoughts permeated the minds of them all. 

Agatha spoke softly to them, “Now all of you back to bed.  We will all have time with this precious one tomorrow.”  Everyone headed her request and went back upstairs.  Bart remained a moment longer until Agatha assured him that she didn't need anything.  He then went upstairs and laid down for a good rest.

Squeak and creek, squeak and creek, the steady rhythm of the rocking chair coupled with Agatha's singing seemed to help everyone in the farmhouse return to their dreaming.  For the first time in so long Julian wasn't afraid.  Even if he didn't realize that his mother was nearly seventy miles away, and he was in a place that he was too young to remember fully.  He felt warm, and loved, and safe.

The glow of the fire lasted until the first rays of the dawn began to hit the farmhouse.

Last edited by wolfsongx (2008-02-09 17:39:23)

#16 2008-02-08 19:11:37

CursedPuppy

OMG THIS STORY IS AMAZING!!! I have to read more!!!

I have more than just one mask, yet I dream in my true face.
Age, looks, and color don't matter, especially to a wolf.

#17 2008-02-10 17:36:07

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

This was a very soft and gentle addition, WolfSong!
  I loved the focus on the sounds of the chair, and how you repeated the reference. That was terrific! I also enjoyed the family feeling to the ones in the house, and how cozy and inviting you made the scene.
  Well Done!
  There was one specific sentence in the first paragraph that didn't quite fit the scene, but not a big deal. I can let you know more if you wish, just say so here or email me.

In either case, keep it coming!

#18 2008-02-11 09:47:15

wolfsongx

Grayle wrote:

This was a very soft and gentle addition, WolfSong!
  I loved the focus on the sounds of the chair, and how you repeated the reference. That was terrific! I also enjoyed the family feeling to the ones in the house, and how cozy and inviting you made the scene.
  Well Done!
  There was one specific sentence in the first paragraph that didn't quite fit the scene, but not a big deal. I can let you know more if you wish, just say so here or email me.

In either case, keep it coming!

Thanks Grayle.  I think I know which one you are talking about.  I would love your opnion on it when you have a free min.  Thanks smile

#19 2008-02-15 15:51:42

wolfsongx

Ok, part 5.  Let me know what you think.

Days had passed since the incident.  The police had come and gone several times in the those days.  Looking for clues, questioning her and the neighbors, gathering as much information as they could to try and find the boy.  Frank had just packed a suitcase and come downstairs, seeing his wife still crying bitterly into a pillow on the couch.

“Elizabeth, I'm leaving.  I, “ he paused for minute, “I won't be back.  This is goodbye.”

She looked up from the pillow at him for a moment, the sadness in her eyes suddenly changed to anger.  He felt that she could have killed him right where he stood with that look.  She wanted to hit him, to make him pay for all the horrible things he had said to her.  For all the vindictive acts he had committed.  For making her leave home with him, for hating their only child, for hating her child; her flesh and blood, the one thing that she cared for most in this world.  She knew that their marriage had been on the rocks for months, and that he didn't care for her anymore.  He had a girlfriend on the side; he tried to keep it secret but she knew.  The wives always know these things, just sometimes they don't want it to be true.

“Go.”  She told him.  “Just go, you never really loved me and you never loved Julian, I can see that now.  Just go.  Go, and I never want to see your face again!”

Frank was stunned, she had never spoken to him this way before.  It was like she was some kind of animal barring its teeth.  His normally cold and stern expression had changed.  For the first time since he got her away from her family at their farm he felt afraid.  He backed out of the front door slowly and once outside he took off running as fast as he could.  He ran so fast and didn't stop, fearing that she would chase him down, like some sort of rabid dog, if he stopped.

Elizabeth was breathing heavy, her head ached and her chest felt tight.  She collapsed on the floor and twitched with pain.  After a few moments of sheer terror, the pains stopped.  “What, what was that?    Have I ever known such pain?”  She stood up from the floor and began pacing pondering what to do.  She went into the kitchen and got a glass of water from the tap.  As she began to drink in the tepid water the phone began to ring.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rewrite for part 5, please enjoy!
Days had passed since the incident.  The police had come and gone several times in the those days.  Looking for clues, questioning her and the neighbors, gathering as much information as they could to try and find the boy.  Frank had just packed a suitcase and come downstairs, seeing his wife still crying bitterly into a pillow on the couch.

“Elizabeth, I'm leaving.  I, “ he paused for minute, “I won't be back.  This is goodbye.”

She looked up from the pillow at him for a moment, the sadness in her eyes suddenly changed to anger.    She wanted to hit him, to make him pay for all the horrible things he had said to her.  For all the vindictive acts he had committed.  For making her leave home with him, for hating their only child, for hating her child; her flesh and blood, the one thing that she cared for most in this world.  She knew that their marriage had been on the rocks for months, and that he didn't care for her anymore.  He had a girlfriend on the side; he tried to keep it secret but she knew.  The wives have a way of knowing, sometimes they just don't want to believe its true.  The fury suddenly quelled itself; the expression on her face changed from total anger to a completely somber look.

“Go.”  She told him.  “I know about your girlfriend; that little blond  you've been seeing for the last four months.  But that makes me wonder Frank, why?  Why did you stay?  You despised Julian, and I was never what you really wanted in a woman.  So why Frank, why stay here in misery?”

Frank, who was never at a loss for words, was dumbfounded.  He stammered for a moment at the total indifference that Elizabeth's voice had.  Her tone was flat, not at all as her normal speaking voice was.  All he could get out was, “You. . .  needed me.”

Elizabeth looked him in the eyes, the fury from before beginning to rise again.  She said, “Goodbye Frank.”

Frank was stunned, she had never spoken to him this way before.  He turned and left the house through the front door.  He had thought that she would have taken this so much harder than this.  For the whole time he had known her she seemed such a tender soul.  Not even able to swat a fly.  He reached the sidewalk and began walking toward the downtown loop.  He decided to get a drink at the bar and clear his head.

Elizabeth began to breath heavily, her head ached and her chest felt tight.  She collapsed on the floor and twitched with pain.  After a few moments of sheer terror, the pains stopped.  “What, what was that?    Have I ever known such pain?”  She stood up from the floor and began pacing pondering what to do.  Frank's leaving was overshadowed by her first worry, Julian.  She started to cry again, salty tears began to run down her face, then they began to drip onto her shirt.  She chocked back the tears and went into the kitchen and got a glass of water from the tap.  As she began to drink in the tepid water the phone began to ring.

Last edited by wolfsongx (2008-03-07 16:00:28)

#20 2008-02-16 20:55:42

CursedPuppy

oooh oooh whos at the phone!!!!????

#21 2008-02-18 12:21:13

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very nice!
  Emotional breakups are some of the most difficult things to write. It's sooo easy to fall into a melodrama or after-school special with them. Trying to find that fine line where the characters are still reacting in a realistic manner, but still angry enough to tug on the heartstrings of the reader takes a lot of re-writing and time. I believe you found a good mixture here in this segment, and a little fine-tuning in later drafts will make it undeniable.

I am intensely curious to find out what caused her pain, and I agree with CursedPuppy - the phone call has my attention as well!

#22 2008-02-19 11:34:26

wolfsongx

Thanks Cursed Puppy and Grayle.  I thought it was time to show what the mother had been upto since we haven't seen much of her since the first part.  Grayle I would love your input on how to fine tune this section, I wasn't sure if it seemed to plastic or if it really seemed like real conflict.

Last edited by wolfsongx (2008-02-22 17:09:32)

#23 2008-02-22 17:08:49

wolfsongx

Ok, part 6.  Enjoy!

Elizabeth dropped the glass she was holding when the phone rang.  She didn't hear the glass shatter on the floor; all she could feel was a nervous twinge, it started in the pit of her stomach and ran up her spine.  “Is it the police, did they find Julian?"  The phone was on its third ring, but she didn't move; she wanted to leap for the phone but the fear kept her feet planted on the kitchen floor.  Thousands of scenarios played through her mind all at once.  The phone gave a fourth ring.  Elizabeth mustered all her courage and stepped to the phone, she reached out and picked up the receiver only to hear a dial tone.  Part of her was relieved, she wouldn't have to hear if her precious baby boy's bloody corpse had been found in some gutter or somewhere.  She sat the receiver back onto its cradle.

She turned around and saw the broken glass on the floor.  Her mind drifted to a couple of weeks before.  Julian had knocked over a glass vase full of imitation flowers.  Frank had not been at home, thankfully, so Elizabeth cleaned up the mess.  Julian was sad that he had broken the vase and hugged his mommy's leg as tight as he could, sobbing and saying, “I'm sowy mommy.”  Elizabeth got him to let go of her leg and picked him up.

She said, “It's alright sweetie, you didn't mean to do that.  I'm just glad you weren't hurt.”  She kissed him on the forehead and he sat his head onto her bosom.  She sat on the couch and held him for the next hour or so, until Frank came home.

Suddenly she was roused from her daydream.  The phone was ringing again.  She took a deep breath, spun round and picked up the receiver before the second ring.  “Hello?”  Her voice cracking slightly.

“Elizabeth?”

“Momma?  Is that you momma!?”

“Yes dear it is.  What's wrong, you sound upset?”

Elizabeth suddenly realized that she had forgotten to tell her mother of the kidnapping.  Her emotional flood gates began to open and the tears started flowing down her face once more.  “Oh momma, it's terrible!  Julian has been kidnapped!”  She was beginning to talk uncontrollably, her words were starting to become incoherent.  Finally she fell to the floor crying, the phone receiver still to her ear.

“Sweet heart, don't cry.  It's alright.”

Elizabeth didn't hear a word she said.  Her crying persisted until she heard another familiar voice on the other end of the line.

“Mommy?  Please mommy, don't be sad.”

Elizabeth gasped and dropped the phone receiver.

#24 2008-02-22 19:53:40

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Oh, now there's a plot development I wasn't expecting! But I LOVE it!

Your description of her paralysis from despair was exquisite, and easy to relate to. This was a wonderful continuation, WolfSong! Well done!

#25 2008-02-26 20:21:50

CursedPuppy

OMG!!! THE GRANDMOTHER DID IT!?!?!?! But yeah so from a civilian prospective, I'm literaly out of my seat ok!!! This has got to be one of the most suspencfull stories I've read yet!! Honestly theese are the type of stories I like best!

Board footer