The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#126 2008-10-13 12:09:18

wolfsongx

Re: Scotophobia

Sorry for the long gap in updates, I got stuck working 1st shift for 4 weeks for some training.  At any rate here is part 25.

Julian left the table and ran to the door with Riverstone and the other wolf kin in close pursuit.  Julian opened the kitchen door and they all poured outside.  The morning sun was still rising to its zenith; birds were singing their songs to greet the day.  Julian flopped onto the ground and enjoyed the feeling of the still cool grass, and the growing warmth of the sun upon his face.

Julian looked up and saw Riverstone and the others assume playful positions, looking to him to make the first move.  Julian rolled over onto all fours and pounced onto one of the wolves.  The air was filled with the joyful squeals and whelps of Julian and the wolves as the wrestled with each other.  They tackled one another in shows of strength, and nipped playfully at one another’s flesh.  Julian laughed heartily and the wolves yelped and barked with excitement.

From the kitchen window, Elizabeth watched the wolves and Julian.  She had never seen him act so rough before.  When he was with her he seemed to be the same sweet and tender child he always had been.  Though seeing him with the wolves he seemed, aggressive, powerful, almost like he was an animal.  She turned to Agatha and asked, “Momma, is Julian one of . . .”

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#127 2008-10-13 18:54:27

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Not to sound ungrateful or anything, but...

It's about freaking time!!

Okay, now, with that being said....

I liked how easily Julian was willing to enjoy nature and also play with the pack members, regardless of form. I also appreciate how you included the watch from his caring mother, who is learning this all over again. You've added peace and tranquility in one aspect, but in a form that is more aggressive than normal human socialization. I thought that was a great idea!

I think there might be a way to rephrase the third paragraph for a more consistent flow, and I believe there is a 'y' missing in the second paragraph. Other than that, it's pretty solid.

Great to have you back, Wolfsong! Bring some more soon, okay?

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#128 2008-10-13 20:23:19

Goldie

yes, please continue soon. smile

how can never ever be ever if never ever was ever, ever?
yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#129 2008-10-14 10:47:15

wolfsongx

Yeah, sorry for the long absence.  Stupid first shift at work.  I hope to have a bit more before the week is out.  And Grayle do you have any suggestions on how I can reword the last paragraph?  I'm starring at it and I can't seem to come up with something better.

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#130 2008-10-14 12:30:48

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Hmmmm... Well,  it just seems to me to be a little diluted in reference to your usual descriptive quality, and the last sentence feels a little repetitive in the phrase usage; but again, it might just be me. Anyway, here's one idea, but this is me writing it, not you, so don't read too much into it.

From the kitchen window Elizabeth watched Julian as he frolicked in the grass, tackling and nipping at the wolves playfully. She had never seen him play so roughly before, and it caught her curiosity. Whenever he was in her immediate presence he was a most sweet and tender child, never causing anything that could be considered a ruckus. Yet as she looked through the window, watching him play happily and peacefully with his wolf kin, he seemed to be more aggressive, assertive, and even powerful; he acted almost like he was an animal - no, acted like he was one of them.

Elizabeth turned to Agatha with a question that she was almost afraid to ask. “Momma, about Julian; is he...”

Again, this is merely a suggestion; and the main problem I have with this suggestion is that it makes Elizabeth sound a little prejudiced against the wolves in her family. As a result, I wouldn't recommend using this. However, I hope it might give you an idea as to how you could rephrase the paragraph.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-10-14 12:32:35)

#131 2008-10-27 12:12:17

wolfsongx

It's a good suggestion.  Now that my vacation is over I can start writing again.  Thanks Grayle.  I hope to have more very soon.  big_smile

#132 2008-11-03 12:34:23

wolfsongx

Sorry for the delay, but here is the next section.  I hope you all enjoy!
Scotophobia part 26

Agatha approached Elizabeth and gazed out the window at Julian and the wolves.  She said, “Yes dear, he is like you, partly of the human world and partly the wolf.”  Agatha placed her hand onto Elizabeth’s shoulder and gave it a squeeze.

Elizabeth said in a very soft tone, “So this is why you brought him here, and why you had me come here?”

“Yes,” Agatha replied, “the time is growing short.  The time of his first change is coming soon.  It is why we have had to bring him here; and why we had him to play and bond with the wolves.  They have been showing him their ways.”

Elizabeth’s mind called up more memories.  She remembered learning the games of the wolf.  Track, hunt, pounce, wrestle, they all came back to her.  Her body began to quiver with excitement as she remembered the sensations she had been repressing; the night of her first change, her first kill, running free through the forest.  Suddenly, Elizabeth became weak in the knees and began to fall.  Bart caught her from behind and steadied her.  Agatha caressed her cheek and felt it to be hot to the touch.  She asked for a glass of water and one of her cousins brought one over and handed it to Agatha.

Agatha said, “Bart set her in the chair there.”  Bart set his sister down in the dinning chair as Elizabeth began to recover from her episode.  Agatha handed her the water and she drank long and deep the cool clear water.

#133 2008-11-03 17:45:41

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Nicely continued, wolfsong. I love the creativity of individual levels of changing, whether full shifting from wolf to man, or no shifting, or 'repressed' shifting. Very intriguing!

I also appreciated the reaction that all of Elizabeth's returning memories had upon her. Very nice, wolfsong!
Bring on some more!

#134 2008-11-04 08:33:09

Goldie

i've got to say, i've been reading this story and you have yet to disappoint me. Lovely, just lovely. smile

yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#135 2008-11-04 11:59:05

wolfsongx

Thanks you both!  I hope the next section doesn't disappoint either.  smile

#136 2008-12-08 13:34:05

wolfsongx

Sorry I've been so lax on updates everyone.  Here is the next part.  Short, yes, but more will follow.  Soon I hope.

Part 27
Agatha sent everyone from the room and pulled up a chair next to Elizabeth.  “I’m alright,” Elizabeth said as she sat the glass onto the table.

Agatha said, “Something is wrong isn’t it?”

Elizabeth shook her head, “No, I’m alright.  Just a little tired is all.”

Agatha reached out and cupped her hands around Elizabeth’s hands.  “Sweetie, I know that something is going on with you, I can see it in your face.”

Elizabeth looked at Agatha and left out a depressed sigh.  “Well, I’ve been having some old thoughts come to mind recently, things that I haven’t thought of in years.  In the past few days I have remembered a lot but this last time, just now, I felt weak.  Momma, what’s happening to me?”

Agatha smiled and said, “It’s alright Elizabeth.  These flashes of memory that you having are to be expected since you have come back home.  There are some more things that you need to remember about our family.”

“You mean more than us being a family of werewolves?”

#137 2008-12-10 19:32:57

punxnotdead

Darn, I really need to read this *Puts on my list of top ten things*
I WILL read it sooner or later. smile

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#138 2008-12-11 11:59:31

wolfsongx

Cool!  I hope you enjoy it when you read it.  smile

#139 2008-12-28 05:38:10

wolfsongx

Scotophobia part 28

Elizabeth’s mind raced as she lay on the bed.  All afternoon her mother told her about their family; that they are the keepers of balance between the natural world and the supernatural.  Agatha told her about the spirits of the land and how they depended on their family to keep the land pure and happy.  “For in the day that we abandon our duty, the good spirits that dwell here will fade to nothingness.  After that, the land itself will die.” 

Elizabeth tossed and turned in the bed.  Agatha had told her so much that it was hard for her to make sense of it all.  She still didn’t understand why she moved away then.  Was she blinded by her love of Frank, or was it something else.  Finally Elizabeth decided that she couldn’t sleep, she got up and put on a robe that was lying across the foot of the bed and quietly exited the room.  She gingerly walked down the hall to Julian’s room and took a peek inside.

On the bed was her precious little one, sleeping soundly with the wolves around him.  She let out a quiet sigh and closed the door behind her.  Suddenly she heard something, it sounded like a whisper at first but then she clearly heard something outside.  She walked to the window at the end of the hallway and parted the curtains.  She looked down toward the front lawn and saw someone.  It appeared to be a very large man, looking up at her.  She starred for a moment and then said softly, “Daddy?”

#140 2008-12-28 12:10:55

Goldie

Dude, you fail to not impress. More please, i need sum ore. lol

#141 2008-12-28 12:21:25

wolfsongx

Thanks Goldie.  I hope to have more this week.  smile

#142 2009-01-12 13:16:30

wolfsongx

Scotophobia 29

Questions assailed Elizabeth’s mind as she starred intently at the figure of her father in the front yard.  The figure starred at the front of the house, almost as if it was waiting for someone to come outside.  “It can’t be him, it just cant,” Elizabeth thought to herself.  “But, what if it is him?  Maybe he didn’t die, maybe,” suddenly a twinge of excitement came over her, “he’s come home!” 

The figure suddenly turned its head toward the window Elizabeth was watching it through.  She saw the figure’s face change into a warm smile, and then it raised its hand and motioned to her to come outside.  The twinge of excitement grew in her bosom.  She wanted to run outside and have him wrap his strong arms around her.  She spun around and was suddenly met with Agatha’s face in front of her.

“Honey, what are you doing up so late?”

Elizabeth replied, “It’s daddy, he’s come home!”

Agatha seemed puzzled.  “Elizabeth, that is impossible.”

“No no,” Elizabeth insisted, “he is right there in the front yard.”  She pulled the curtains open and as she and Agatha looked out the window, they saw an empty yard in the stillness of the night.

#143 2009-01-12 14:12:01

Goldie

oooooo, Eli has gone bat shite crazy. Please, MORE!!!. tongue

#144 2009-01-13 11:36:48

wolfsongx

lol  Glad you like it Goldie.  I'll get some more done soon.  smile

#145 2009-01-13 17:10:06

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER
P.h.e.o.e.n.e.x Operative

Wow Great Storytelling . Made Chills Run Down My Rom Board

Last edited by TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER (2009-01-13 17:10:30)

All Ur Base R Belong 2 Us come quietly and your eyebrows will not be burned off....that would not be pleasant would it?

Im baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! (For real this time) With 30% more TS 30% more DX 60% more weapons and 99% more evilness and destruction!!

#146 2009-01-14 10:55:00

wolfsongx

Why thank you Mr. Robo.  I hope to have more soon.  smile

#147 2009-01-28 10:43:28

wolfsongx

Scotophobia 30

Agatha said, “There is no one there.”

Elizabeth starred out the window with her mouth agape; unable to believe that no one was there.  After a few moments she spoke, “Maybe I’m just tired.”  She turned from the window and breathed a heavy sigh. 

Agatha placed her hands on her shoulder and said, “Why don’t you go back to bed, I’ll get you some warm milk to help you sleep.”  Elizabeth nodded and walked back to her room.  Agatha watched as Elizabeth’s door closed, then she turned to the window.  She looked to the front yard which was not as blank as it had been a moment ago.  A black mass seemed to stand on the ground in the yard.  The mass was devoid of features, though it lifted what seemed to be an arm toward the window where Agatha was observing it.  “You will not have her again.”  She said with a low growl to her voice.

#148 2009-01-28 16:41:23

Goldie

cool, so, she really isn't going nutz. smile

#149 2009-01-29 10:39:58

wolfsongx

Nope, she is perfectly sane.  big_smile

#150 2009-01-29 13:08:12

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Just caught up.

I'm very impressed, Wolfsong! I appreciated the explanations of the purpose you give to your werewolves, as guardians of a world of which we humans know not. The last chapters reinforced the story's grip on my attention, with a mysterious visage of a fallen family member, yet the true form recognized by the elder Agatha, who seems to have a somewhat personal familiarity with the apparition. The tension and plot are both building very respectfully, tantalizing the reader, making them beg for further explanation. Absolutely Phenomenal, Wolfsong!

I think I might have found one or two sentence structure oddities, maybe a strange punctuation choice, but your spelling is terrific and your story flows as gracefully as water in a rolling brook deep in the forest. 

Keep it coming, Wolfsong!

Board footer