The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#151 2009-01-29 13:50:16

wolfsongx

Re: Scotophobia

Golly!  I'm glad you are liking the story.  It means a lot when a writer I respect compliments my work.  I hope to not disappoint you and everyone else that is reading.  smile

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#152 2009-02-16 11:41:58

wolfsongx

Were are getting to the good part!  big_smile

Scotophobia 31

The next days passed without incident; everyone seemed to settle back into country life.  For Elizabeth it was wonderful.  She was with the people she loved, in the place that truly was her home.  She helped with the daily chores of the house and the garden, and watched Julian as he continued grow and develop.  Anxiously waiting, as the rest of the household, the longest night of the year.

On the morning of the winter solstice everyone awoke early, except for Julian.  He was still enjoying the warmth of Riverstone’s fur against him.  Riverstone yawned and opened his eyes.  His ears perked up as he heard the hustle and bustle of the others in the house and suddenly remembered, “Today is the day!”  He looked over at Julian, still in his peaceable slumber; he reached over and gently nuzzled him, but Julian turned away, still wanting to be asleep.  Riverstone stretched the stiffness out of his joints and he considered how best to wake him. 

Gently he raised Julian’s night shirt and began licking his tummy with his long wolf tongue.  Suddenly laughter rang out from Julian’s mouth, until he finally sat up and rubbed his eyes and said, “Morning!”

Last edited by wolfsongx (2009-02-16 12:39:05)

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#153 2009-02-16 13:31:49

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very peaceful and loving addition, wolfsong!

I enjoyed the summary - it was simple yet informative, and carried the story well. The addition of Riverstone waking Julian was very touching as well - no pun intended. Really.

I didn't find any speed bumps from a technical standpoint, which makes the story flow that much easier.

Very nice! Keep it coming!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#154 2009-02-18 01:44:20

Goldie

Yes, i agree, good show. big_smile

how can never ever be ever if never ever was ever, ever?
yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#155 2009-02-18 10:57:20

wolfsongx

Thanks Grayle, and thank you Goldie.  I'm glad you like it.  I hope to get to Julian's first change soon.  smile

#156 2009-02-23 11:21:02

wolfsongx

Scotophobia 32

The house was a buzz with activity.  Inside the house the kitchen was the epicenter, pots were bubbling, vegetables being chopped, meats being sliced, and bread dough rising with fermentation.  In the middle of all this kitchen activity was Agatha, instructing the others.  She reminded them not to cook the meats to long, and when to add the spices and herbs to the boiling pots and so on.  She could be likened to a conductor, leading the symphony of the kitchen.  Meanwhile the farm chores outside were headed up by Bart.  He and the other men completed the harvesting, and storing of the year’s bounty.  They were also making any final repairs to the home and other buildings outside. 

At about noon, Agatha left the kitchen and took with her Bart and Elizabeth.  She led them to a small trail at the forest edge, marked by white stones.  Bart and Elizabeth both remembered the trail and where it would lead them.  The three of them walked along the trail, the last of the autumn leaves crunching beneath their feet as they journeyed.  A gentle wind made the barren branches sway, waving goodbye to autumn and hello to winter.  Not a word was exchanged between the three of them.  It was not so much of an awkward silence, but more of a reverent one; giving credence to the ones who had walked this path before, and now were no longer here.

After a long walk the trail ended and they came to a large clearing, surrounded by the white stones.  In the middle of the clearing was a hole in the ground filled with ashes.  Agatha finally broke the silence and said, “You two, get started collecting wood, I’ll clear the fire pit.  Oh, and make sure to clear any debris from the gathering area.” Bart and Elizabeth nodded in the affirmative and began to gather wood and kindling.  Agatha walked to the fire pit and untied an old bed sheet she had attached to her apron, and spread it out next to the pit.  Then with her hands she began to clear the pit, one handful of ashes at a time.  As she did this she thought of the last time that she was here.  On the day she said goodbye to him.

Last edited by wolfsongx (2009-02-24 11:17:28)

#157 2009-02-23 12:30:10

Goldie

Awwww, The boy is becoming a man. smile Great work.

yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#158 2009-02-23 14:01:47

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very vivid sequence, Wolfsong!

The descriptive language you use here is quite impressive, painting a picture of the hustle and bustle in the kitchen as well as a quiet stroll in woods, with the trees shedding their autumn glory. The descriptions gave the scene a solemn dignity, indicating a very important event is drawing near. I could picture the scene easily. Very nice!

Now, I did find a few things in the second paragraph that you may like to change - keep in mind, these are only suggestions.
  I believe that the 'too' in the third sentence is meant to be a 'to', but it's unnecessary anyway; just saying they 'remembered the trail and where it led' or 'where it would lead them' should be effective enough to make the point. In the fourth sentence, you may want to use a word like 'continued'  or 'journeyed' to replace the second 'walked', so it doesn't sound too repetitive. The fifth sentence might work better if you say the wind made the branches sway. In the final sentence of the paragraph I might recommend merging the first two clauses, perhaps like this: 'it was not so much of an awkward silence, but more of a reverent one'. Again, these are only suggestions, but they may help the paragraph structure a bit so the reader is more inclined to focus on the events instead of the sentence structure.

Beyond that is only a terrific story and a loving, family oriented, dignified sequence of events. I am really enjoying this story, Wolfsong, and I'm very glad that you're sharing it with us. I'm interested to see the significance of the gathering point; I have suspicions as to why they are getting it ready now, but I'd rather read on and see if my suspicions are correct.

Bring on more when you can, okay?

Last edited by Grayle (2009-02-24 09:07:25)

#159 2009-02-24 10:19:13

wolfsongx

I certainly will!  Thank you Goldie and Grayle.  I'm glad you liked it.  I will make the appropriate edits to that section, and thanks so much for your input Grayle.  I really appreciate it!

Edits are done and the section is re-posted above!  smile

Last edited by wolfsongx (2009-02-24 11:18:01)

#160 2009-03-03 11:14:37

wolfsongx

Scotophobia Part 33

As Agatha finished emptying the pit, the wind began to pick up.  She raised her head and saw the dark clouds beginning to gather overhead.  She breathed in with her nose, the scent of rot and decay filling her nostrils.  Rain.  She chuckled to herself, “Now it is exactly like last time.”

“What is exactly like last time momma?” Elizabeth inquired from behind Agatha.

“Oh, it’s the rain clouds; the last time we gathered here it rained.  I was just reminiscing a bit.”

Bart walked up next to Elizabeth and Agatha and dropped his pile of wood by the pit.  “I think this should be enough, and Elizabeth gathered more than enough kindling.  Should we head back before we get soaked?”

Agatha replied, “Yes, from the look of the clouds, it looks like it will be a gully washer.  Help me tie the sheet together.”

The three of them raised and tied the corners of the bed sheet into a knot, just as the first drops of rain began to fall.  From the opposite side of the clearing, a pair of eyes looked upon them with disgust as they left the clearing.  The form to which the eyes belonged began to think; it could not prevent tonight's events, but all was not lost.  Nefarious schemes and dark thoughts began to form; it seemed to derive sadistic pleasure from the suffering it would cause the family.  A sinister smile formed beneath the disembodied eyes as the sky began to bleed.

(EDIT!)

Last edited by wolfsongx (2009-03-07 23:54:31)

#161 2009-03-04 11:37:15

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very intriguing continuation, Wolfsong. I appreciated the peaceful anticipation joyfully nurtured by the family members. Personally I've never attributed the smell of rot and decay to an oncoming rainstorm - perhaps she was smelling something carried upon the wind? In either case, I could see Agatha sniffing the air and bringing a reminiscent smile to her face very easily.

I found it interesting how you gave clear thoughts and feelings to the entity, nearly giving it a name. Your descriptions of the disembodied eyes and smile were brilliant, but the speaking to itself didn't seem to fit what you're trying to accomplish with the creature. I might encourage you to shy away from any identifying marks like calling it an entity outright or giving it a voice - at least for the time being. The reason for not doing so is that it keeps the elusive, less than definable qualities for a bit longer in the mind of the reader.  If you wish to give it thoughts, you can tell the reader what it's thinking through the narrative, but telling the reader what it's saying seems a little less mysterious somehow.

However, I thought the final sentence was particularly delicious, especially with the bleeding sky - I loved that!

Last edited by Grayle (2009-03-05 13:20:32)

#162 2009-03-04 14:45:32

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

more!!!!!!!!i read fast,more!!!!!!

"In the time it took for you to walk down one little hallway,I went to London,got my head blown off,and came back."-Schrodinger-Hellsing "Now lets go die like mangy dogs!"-bernadotte-hellsing "Please Mr. Bernadette,do not smoke inside me."-Seras-hellsing

#163 2009-03-04 17:23:10

Goldie

oooo. smile
SPOOKY!!! big_smile Keep it coming dude. smile

#164 2009-03-05 11:28:39

wolfsongx

GOLLY!  Thanks you guys, I'm glad you all liked it!  Thanks for your input Grayle, I like you suggestion of holding onto the mystery for a bit longer with the entity.  I'll get started on those rewrites!

#165 2009-03-07 01:29:52

wolfsongx

Ok, I redid the last paragraph and tried to be more elusive, how does it sound?

#166 2009-03-07 15:55:29

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Oooooo... you used the word 'Nefarious'! Totally fantastic! Can you feel the difference in it? it's definitely more elusive when you read it.

If you're interested, here's a few tinkering suggestions:

I might point out that saying it 'could not stop tonight from coming' might make readers think the evil thing in the dark has control over time. If that's not your intent, you may want to say it 'could not prevent tonight's events'. You could also reduce 'it didn't mean that all was lost' to 'all was not lost', which takes away the indirect aspect of the phrase. You could say 'sadistic pleasure' instead of 'great pleasure', and maybe use 'suffering' instead of 'pain'; but keep in mind that none of these are in any way necessary - merely other ways to word it, just as ideas.

Even so, there's definitely a more elusive feel to the paragraph; something naughty is watching them from the shadows, and what's more, it has evil plots in store for the family.

Very well done, Wolfsong!

#167 2009-03-07 23:52:22

wolfsongx

You know I love the wordings you used there.  It has more bite to it, I think I'll use them.  big_smile  Thanks Grayle, I love your input and opinions on my work.  smile

(Edits complete!)

Last edited by wolfsongx (2009-03-07 23:54:55)

#168 2009-03-12 11:35:49

wolfsongx

Scotophobia Part 34

Sheets of rain poured from the clouds.  Thunder roared and lightning streaked across the dark sky; a hard chill danced between the bulbous rain drops.  The farmhouse stood firm against the wet and cold that battered against its walls, seeking entrance.  Inside the family had gathered in the parlor around the warmth of the great stone fireplace.  The dishes had been cleared and cleaned; everyone’s belly full of the wonderful meal that had been prepared and everyone’s heart filled with joy.  Together the family sat and told stories of the past, and fondly remembering family that was no longer with them. 

Julian sat on his mother’s lap and listened to everyone until he let out a big yawn and his eyes began to get heavy; the food inside his tummy speeding along his journey into slumber.  He began to squirm in her lap until he found a comfortable position, and laid his head upon her bosom.  His eyes gently closed shut and the dreaming was upon him.

Elizabeth whispered, “I think he’s asleep.”

Everyone turned and gazed upon the sleeping child.  Agatha smiled warmly and stood up from her seat.  “It is time.”

#169 2009-03-12 11:55:15

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Superb continuation, Wolfsong!
I adored the description in the first paragraph with the storm outside and the warmth inside - very nice! The visualization of Julian nestling in his mother's arms was also delightful!

Side note: you may want to take the 'and' out of the last sentence of the first paragraph, or change 'remembering' to 'remembered' - there's a bit of a conflict there.

Wonderful job, Wolfsong! Keep it coming!

#170 2009-03-12 17:30:12

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

oohh more more

"In the time it took for you to walk down one little hallway,I went to London,got my head blown off,and came back."-Schrodinger-Hellsing "Now lets go die like mangy dogs!"-bernadotte-hellsing "Please Mr. Bernadette,do not smoke inside me."-Seras-hellsing

#171 2009-03-13 03:22:10

Goldie

ooo yes, more, please write more. smile

#172 2009-03-14 01:35:09

wolfsongx

Aww, thanks guys!  More to come, so don't worry.  smile

#173 2009-03-23 13:49:31

wolfsongx

Here is the next installment, I don't think the transformation sequence works to well, but tell me what you think.

Part 35(EDIT)
All the human kin retreated to their rooms and donned their ritual vestments.   The shift would be easier on them not having to fuss with modern clothes.  A cut portion of leather to drape over their loins connected to a belt which was loosely tied in the back.  With that secure, it was time to invoke the change.

Everyone invoked their change a bit differently.  Some would lie on the bed, close their eyes, and let the dreaming overtake them.  Some chose physical pain, using a pocket knife to cut their flesh, or even purposely stubbing their toe.  Regardless of how they began, the metamorphosis was a quick process for everyone.  The bones began to stretch and twist, forcing their skeletal structure into a more lupine architecture.  Muscles and tendons began to grow in size, accompanied by a new feeling of stamina and strength.  Hand and feet both growing pads and thick menacing claws; ears reforming to new points and the face remaking itself to a snout and maw, filled with gleaming fangs. Lastly a tail appeared from the top of the butt as the body covers itself in coarse fur.  As the transformation ended, everyone’s heart pounded with strength and excitement.

Last edited by wolfsongx (2009-03-24 10:22:52)

#174 2009-03-23 14:03:17

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

yay!

#175 2009-03-23 16:15:04

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Very nice! We finally get to see a TF sequence!

I loved the idea of different preferences to invoking the shift. That was very original and unique, and worked well. I might suggest rephrasing some parts so that the passive voice is removed, but that's just me.

As to the breaking bones, you may want to use writhing or shifting or twisting instead. Granted, the bones would pop out of joints, but would they really break? Breaking usually has a destructive connotation with it, so I'm not sure it works with the rest of the description.

One last thing, you have a very very long sentence there paces with semicolons. I seem to recall some authors doing that, but you might want to play around with dividing the actions into different sentences, just to see if it works better for you.

That being said, I love the fact that they have practical clothing for their other forms, and I think you did a great job of keeping this a family function instead of 'everybody's on their own.'

Great job, Wolfsong!

Last edited by Grayle (2009-03-23 16:15:28)

Board footer