The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#176 2009-03-24 10:23:49

wolfsongx

Re: Scotophobia

Thanks guys!  smile  I tried reworking the new entry with your suggestions Grayle, let me know it it is better this way.

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#177 2009-03-26 14:00:52

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I think it reads a lot better - how do you feel about it?

You could modify it so the hands and feet grew pads instead of growing, but again, it's just an anomaly in the tense structure.

Even so, personally I find the paragraph easier to follow in this new format, but I can't speak for everyone else.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#178 2009-03-28 00:05:26

wolfsongx

I do too, but it fees like something is lacking from it.  I can't put my claw on it but something feels off.  Oh and good catch on the tense structure.  Thanks a million buddy!  smile

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#179 2009-04-06 13:17:56

wolfsongx

After much toil, here is the next section!  Enjoy!

Scotophobia Part 36

The family made their way through the back field of the farm. Trudging through the mud, their bodies taking the full force of the rain and cold which refused to relent. Julian’s sleeping body was held by his mother. He was wrapped in an old quilt which was getting wetter by the minuet, yet the rain and cold didn’t rouse him from his sleep.

At the entrance to the path, Agatha took lead.  She held aloft an old oil lantern and began to lead the way. The lantern wasn’t used to light the way for them; rather, it helped to call together the good spirits of the land. It was a beacon that broke through the darkness and signaled that the time was nigh. As they walked, the rain began to cease; the furious wind calmed itself, and the dark, cloudy sky cleared. The full of the moons light began to shine ahead of them in the clearing; the good spirits of the land gathered inside the stone circle as the procession entered.

Julian began to dream.

#180 2009-04-06 13:49:03

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

woot!MORE!

"In the time it took for you to walk down one little hallway,I went to London,got my head blown off,and came back."-Schrodinger-Hellsing "Now lets go die like mangy dogs!"-bernadotte-hellsing "Please Mr. Bernadette,do not smoke inside me."-Seras-hellsing

#181 2009-04-06 13:49:04

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Ah, the somber even comes at last.
  I found it interesting that the storm seemed to subside after you explained the reason for the lantern, it makes it sound like the spirits are clearing the way for them. I'm not sure if that was what you were going for, but it works very well. I also liked the last sentence. It will be interesting to see what you have in store for his dream.

On a technical note, your second sentence apparently doesn't have appropriate verb structure. If you changed taking to took, it would resolve the structure conflict. Also, I think 'minuet' is supposed to be 'minute'- which is something that a spell catcher would miss every time.

That being said, I still like the feeling of ceremony and tradition that you have instilled in the scene, as well as the implied ties to the elements which benefit the family. It doesn't have a Native American feel to it, per se, but the principles and themes are very similar, yet clearly original, and I like that a lot.

Very nice work, Wolfsong!

#182 2009-04-06 15:13:19

Goldie

Wolf, this was a good, can't wait for the continuation.

how can never ever be ever if never ever was ever, ever?
yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#183 2009-04-07 11:07:50

wolfsongx

Moonfur wrote:

woot!MORE!

Glad you liked it Moonfur.  More coming soon!

#184 2009-04-07 11:09:11

wolfsongx

Grayle wrote:

Ah, the somber even comes at last.
  I found it interesting that the storm seemed to subside after you explained the reason for the lantern, it makes it sound like the spirits are clearing the way for them. I'm not sure if that was what you were going for, but it works very well. I also liked the last sentence. It will be interesting to see what you have in store for his dream.

On a technical note, your second sentence apparently doesn't have appropriate verb structure. If you changed taking to took, it would resolve the structure conflict. Also, I think 'minuet' is supposed to be 'minute'- which is something that a spell catcher would miss every time.

That being said, I still like the feeling of ceremony and tradition that you have instilled in the scene, as well as the implied ties to the elements which benefit the family. It doesn't have a Native American feel to it, per se, but the principles and themes are very similar, yet clearly original, and I like that a lot.

Very nice work, Wolfsong!

Thanks Grayle!  I'm glad you like the entry.  And thank you for catching the spelling and grammar problems.  I really appreciate that!  smile

#185 2009-04-07 11:09:58

wolfsongx

Goldie wrote:

Wolf, this was a good, can't wait for the continuation.

Thankie Goldie.  I'm glad you are enjoying the story, I hope I can keep everyone's interest.  smile

#186 2009-04-07 11:41:48

Goldie

that shouldn't be hard at all. big_smile

yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#187 2009-04-08 11:17:18

wolfsongx

Goldie wrote:

that shouldn't be hard at all. big_smile

Oh you!  *giggles*

#188 2009-04-08 11:58:55

Goldie

^ ^, glad to give credit, where it's due.

#189 2009-05-03 05:51:52

wolfsongx

Sorry for the absence, I've been on vacation.  I'll have the next bit up soon, it's written I just need to give it some revisions.  smile

#190 2009-05-03 23:21:32

wolfsongx

As promised!
Scotophobia Part 37

Julian opened his eyes and found himself in the forest.  He brushed the brittle leaves off himself and stood up.  He looked around and saw the bare trees and bushes bathed in afternoon sunshine.  He tried to remember how he had gotten there, but his memory evaded him.  He called out in his little voice, “Mommy, Granny, Riverstone?”  No voices answered his call.  He called out again and was greeted by nothing again; he began to breathe heavily, his eyes darted from side to side.  He called out a third time, panic infesting his voice.  Still no sound returned to his call; he began to shake and his breathing became more erratic as he realized, he was alone. 

The light in the forest began to fade, as if night was suddenly upon him.  Julian fell to his knees as he gasped for air, the panic of being alone ripping through his mind and body making him quiver in fright and pain.  A unique sense of pleasure was felt by the being causing this to him.  It tightened its grip on Julian’s lungs, as he tried desperately to take his next breath.  Julian felt himself begin to slip away when he heard a familiar voice say “I am your strength.”

Without warning, the entity recoiled the appendage it was using to harm Julian.  Pain, searing pain echoed throughout its being.  Julian stood once more, his face determined and confident; his body beaming with new strength and resilience.  He heard the sound of a wolf howl echoing in his ears.  The sound was so enchanting that he tilted his back and began to howl himself.  He realized that the howl he heard was from the wolf he encountered in his mind once before, but did not understand that the wolf was the spirit his body was yearning for.  Their howls began to synchronize, until only one remained.

That night, as Julian awoke from his sleep inside the stone circle, became whole.

#191 2009-05-04 01:11:05

Goldie

Sweet, can't wait. smile

#192 2009-05-04 10:30:18

Moonfur
Dragon-kin

cool!

"In the time it took for you to walk down one little hallway,I went to London,got my head blown off,and came back."-Schrodinger-Hellsing "Now lets go die like mangy dogs!"-bernadotte-hellsing "Please Mr. Bernadette,do not smoke inside me."-Seras-hellsing

#193 2009-05-05 01:40:13

wolfsongx

Thanks guys!  big_smile

#194 2009-05-17 00:47:32

wolfsongx

Ya know, I changed my mind on the last part.  Does this sound better?

Julian opened his eyes and found himself in the forest.  He brushed the brittle leaves off himself and stood up.  He looked around and saw the bare trees and bushes bathed in afternoon sunshine.  He tried to remember how he had gotten there, but his memory evaded him.  He called out in his little voice, “Mommy. . .  Granny. . .  Riverstone?”  No voices answered his call.  He called out again and listened for even the faintest sound, but there was nothing. 

Julian tried to get his bearings to find his way back to the farmhouse; he looked to the forest for some signs of the way he had come there, he sniffed the air to pick up a familiar scent, but there was nothing.  No foot prints or broken twigs, no scents of home or family anywhere.  He looked intently at the trees to see if he recognized his location, but he could never remember being in this part of the forest before.  He began to breath heavier than before as panic took root in his thoughts.  As he stood there the light of the forest it suddenly faded into the deep dark night.  The forest seemed to change around him; the barren trees began to take on a more sinister visage.  Julian’s breathing became heavier as panic began to overtake his mind. 

A pair of eyes looked at Julian from within the darkness, and derived great satisfaction from the situation unfolding.  The entity clenched its dark appendage again further tightening the grip around Julian’s lungs; Julian’s breathing slowed further.  Just a little further and the child would no longer be a threat to it.

Julian felt himself begin to slip away as his breathing slowed, when he heard a familiar voice say “I am your strength.”  Suddenly Julian took a deep breath; his body tingled with a new energy, and felt his body begin to change.  A searing pain coursed through the dark entity’s appendage and forced it to release its hold of Julian’s lungs.  It watched as the little boy was no more, but now a hulking werewolf.  The werewolf turned and stared right at the entity and released a deep and throaty growl.

On this night, Julian became whole.

Last edited by wolfsongx (2009-05-17 00:49:50)

#195 2009-05-17 14:34:45

Goldie

suh-wheat, That was better, atleast, it showed that the young boy is destined for greatness, am i to guess, my Friend, that he'll soon be the main focus of this ever maturing story?
big_smile

#196 2009-05-18 22:02:39

wolfsongx

Thanks Goldie!  I think I will go with that one instead of the first one.  Unfortunately I think I'm almost at the end for this part of the story.  It really has turned into more than the short story that I originally had in mind.  I should have an epilogue done soon.

#197 2009-06-22 15:23:56

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

I must admit I also find myself inclined toward the second entry. It adds a bit more identity and character to both Julian and the entity, almost building an unnatural relationship within the animosity flowing from the entity. I also greatly appreciated Julian turning toward the entity and growling. It made the confrontation a little more personal. It's a terrific development!

Technical stuff:
  Just FYI - using the word 'breath' as a verb usually requires an 'e' at the end of the word. The second paragraph has an awkward sentence or two, and maybe some repetitive thoughts, but the topic is still easily followed.

I find myself awaiting the final confrontation or possibly an explanation of the non-corporal creature. I know this story may be coming to an end soon, as all do, but I really enjoy the family atmosphere you've kept in the story and the importance of which ties should bind, and which should not. Thank you again for sharing this story with us, Wolfsong, and I certainly hope this won't be the last.

#198 2009-06-26 20:21:47

wolfsongx

Goodness!  I missed your post!  Sorry about that.  Thanks for the input Grayle.  smile  I'm not sure about the final confrontation; I've kinda stalled out again.  Maybe I can get a concept going this weekend.  smile

#199 2009-08-24 22:51:05

wolfsongx

Coming soon.  Hopefully an update, maybe the final epilogue.  I think I've got the basics for the story from start to end, now to work on refining and polishing it up.  All critiques are welcome.  smile

#200 2009-08-25 11:02:55

BrokenHowls
Hiding in the Mist

This is a really good story wolfsongx, I can't wait for the next part smile

~The remaining puzzle piece in an already complete jigsaw~

Board footer