The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#151 2010-08-17 22:24:58

Reptile

Re: Being Human - British

KidWerewolf36 wrote:

Reptile wrote:

KidWerewolf36 wrote:

This trumps THE GATES ARE YOU SERIOUS!!!!!

Yes. Yes it is.

IT'S BOOOOORRRRIIIINNNNGGGGG

No. No it isn't.

yeah sorry I'd rather watch The GATES, AND I watched Being Human today and this is the first time I turned it OFF. It was boring. I'll hit the forward button for George's transformations but that's it.

It's a character driven drama, chronicling the difficulties of three different varieties of monster trying to live together and attempting to rejoin humanity rather than the offspring of Desperate Housewives and True Blood. I don't what you were expecting. Maybe if you said True Blood I'd maybe understand. At least True Blood regularly shows us Anna Paquin's assets.

Last edited by Reptile (2010-08-17 23:02:40)

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#152 2010-10-02 01:24:20

Viergacht

A couple of sleepless nights, and I've burned through the second season of Being Human.

I have to say, I'm a bit disappointed. For one thing, after episode 2 or 3, I forget which, there was hardly any werewolfy stuff. Shame, since the suit they have looks pretty damn good from the brief glimpses we've been given.

But more importantly, the characters all just seemed to be taking turns tossing the Idiot Ball around, Mitchell especially. There would be a good idea, like Saul's near-death experience or Annie being a guide to other ghosts, that would just get shoved to the side somehow. In general the characters seemed to be acting like fools and jerks - are we supposed to seriously believe Mitchell would fall in love with Lucy and not know her last name til the last episode?!?! That's just pure rubbish. And then there's George getting a house with whats-her-name and then abandoning her after one near-miss wolf out, just up and leaving her, when it had already been established she could NOT afford the house on her own. What a gently caressing asshole!

And then there's the whole religious vampire-hunters plot, and their cunning plan which seems to have been designed by Dr. Evil. Why bother going to all the trouble of exploding werewolves in a pressure chamber?! If I were in charge of evil plots, I would invite the werewolves in, have someone posing as a former werewolf say how great the cure is to keep them calm, and then give them an injection of something lethal (we know werewolves are vulnerable to the same tranqs as humans). It would be much easier to explain the resulting corpses as addicts who'd OD'd. How did they explain all the exploded corpses? There was no indication they had the same cover up deal as vampires. It was completely ridiculous, and pointless, beyond being gory.

The last episode had me grinding my teeth. How the hell did they manage to forgive Lucy, even a little? She's a serial killer! Specifically targeting their species! I don't care how repentant you are, a bigot who's been systematically murdering people does not get to snuggle up on the couch and boo-hoo about wanting forgiveness. Imagine them letting the spooky priest guy do the same - can't, can you? She's a horrible person, and a horrible character.

I dunno, I had high hopes to start with but as the season went on it just became a total chore to watch. I'll still watch the third season because I liked the first one so much, but damn I hopes it gets back to its former quality.

#153 2010-10-02 11:14:02

KCat

Viergacht wrote:

And then there's George getting a house with whats-her-name and then abandoning her after one near-miss wolf out, just up and leaving her, when it had already been established she could NOT afford the house on her own. What a gently caressing asshole!

To be fair, that near-miss wolf out could have ended up in him killing half the people in the school, possibly infecting some people, and possibly getting himself killed (if not reveal himself as a werewolf and be hunted down later). That's exactly the reason why he can't go off and live with 'normal' poeple and re-enter human society. If anything, the show is missing more of that.. it's not just an inconvenience where he gets extra hairy once a month, but a life-threatening curse.

It was more questionable why he became so gung-ho in actually trying to live with her in the first place (or her for being so ready to accept someone she just met). Even if he could've kept himself locked away, he had no good excuse for why he'd have to go away for a night every month, and no real explanation for his mood swings. I just never got the sense of "yeah, I could understand that" in his decision.

And then there's the whole religious vampire-hunters plot, and their cunning plan which seems to have been designed by Dr. Evil. Why bother going to all the trouble of exploding werewolves in a pressure chamber?!

To me, it seemed like they actually were trying to find a way to prevent the transformation. It only seemed to be the old guy that wanted to let them die in the chamber (the control operator didn't seem to like the idea of letting the first one die, and Lucy actively prevented Nina's death).

How did they explain all the exploded corpses? There was no indication they had the same cover up deal as vampires. It was completely ridiculous, and pointless, beyond being gory.

They had their own funeral parlor to take care of all that. Werewolves kept themselves on the down-low, so it's not difficult to imagine no one would miss them.

I dunno, I had high hopes to start with but as the season went on it just became a total chore to watch. I'll still watch the third season because I liked the first one so much, but damn I hopes it gets back to its former quality.

Eh, personally it's been down hill ever since the pilot. The pilot had more depth to the characters and their conditions.. particularly George, who didn't just become angry around the full moon as he does in the show, but had actual honest-to-goodness bloodlust he had to keep in check, and a past that was trying to catch up to him.. and Mitchell, who had a harder time keeping from killing people and actually had an aversion to sunlight (even on cloudy days, he had to cover well up and use an umbrella.. in the show, vampires routinely walk out in broad daylight in regular clothes). Plus, the original actors worked better. I really don't care for the actress playing Annie in the show, compared to the original; and although the new Mitchell isn't bad, the original was just more "fun".

#154 2010-10-02 14:36:41

Viergacht

Yeah, with George, like I said it feels like everyone was doing stupid, stupid stuff in every episode. Why couldn't he have just told her what was going on, or tried? As it is, he's completely abandoned her, for no reason, and she's got mortgage and shite on that house she can't pay. It really made me hate him.

I don't think they were trying to cure the werewolves at any point, although it was a bit hard to tell. There was that line about having the body bags there in advance. And that wretched Lucy didn't try to save Nina til near the end. It was just terribly poorly plotted.

#155 2010-10-03 06:28:31

zockereinstein

Well, I'd try not to be so assertive with the plots on a fantasy/sci-fi show. I mean, from the beginning: for example, Buffy has been one of the "great" tv shows from the last years on tv... and the plot was like gruyere cheese, absolutely full of holes. You can say that Being Human pretends to be more "serious", and it is true, but as I said before, if you consider that the original premise is totally fake (werewolves? vampires?? ghosts???), then the credibility becomes not so important. Ok, it is good to create something that seems to "fit" in the reality, but its importance is not that critical.

#156 2010-10-03 12:42:15

Viergacht

Just because something has fantasy, the characters actions still have to be believable and consistent. Otherwise it's just an excuse for bad writing.

#157 2010-10-03 15:03:02

zockereinstein

Viergacht wrote:

Just because something has fantasy, the characters actions still have to be believable and consistent. Otherwise it's just an excuse for bad writing.

yep, you are absolutely right. I know that it is not an excuse, but even considering the faults in the script, it is much more better and "consistent" than most of other shows (including some famous/popular ones).

#158 2010-10-04 11:34:00

Viergacht

zockereinstein wrote:

Viergacht wrote:

yep, you are absolutely right. I know that it is not an excuse, but even considering the faults in the script, it is much more better and "consistent" than most of other shows (including some famous/popular ones).

True . . . you know, I think it's so much more frustrating because I expect more from it, having enjoyed the first season so much. Or maybe just because I hardly watch tv any more, so I don't have a lot of basis of comparison. Or maybe I'm just a cranky old geezer who hates everything wink

#159 2010-10-12 12:23:39

Viergacht

Who the hell are these people?

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/8/2010/10/500x_top.jpg

The American cast of "Being Human". Apparently in this version, George is an A&F model. tongue

#160 2010-10-12 12:32:06

Mitch01
Rising Angel

oh! i know the guy in the middle, he played doomsday on Smallville.. and is that sam huntington kid from jungle 2 jungle?

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#161 2010-10-12 12:58:11

MarkOne
Website

Mitch01 wrote:

oh! i know the guy in the middle, he played doomsday on Smallville.. and is that sam huntington kid from jungle 2 jungle?

Yes it's the same guy.

I found a page that has the first set of pics from the US version of the show. I gotta be honest here, I'm not impressed by the new cast. I'll still keep an open mind until there's  some sort of promo or video of them in action, but it's just not working in my opinion.

Here's the link with more pics of the cast:

http://www.daemonstv.com/2010/10/10/bei … st-photos/

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#162 2010-10-12 15:47:54

zockereinstein

Well, here it is the first disappointing thing from american tv shows.... am I wrong, or the first photo looks like an after-werewolf sequence? You can see if there's something wrong there. I mean, not just the fact itself, but the true way it is going to take in terms of "rating".

#163 2010-10-12 18:32:49

RadRed21

that first pic does look like it's him waking up from being a werewolf, and in america, werewolves wear boxers... hopefully that's not what that picture is.

I thought I first read that witwear was gonna be the werewolf. he does a good job portraying a character who struggles with a beast inside (from smallville) so it's a shame that talent of his won't get put to use here. guess they wanted the "prettier man" to be a vampire.

i'll keep an open mind too but i don't know if I like how the casting was done so far

#164 2010-10-12 19:09:42

Reptile

Viergacht wrote:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im … 0x_top.jpg

The American cast of "Being Human". Apparently in this version, George is an A&F model. tongue

Oh sweet Raptor Jesus, why?

WARNING: The contents of this post may be vitriolic and/or offensive to samurai warriors, ninjas, tough dudes, computer using felines and people with pure wolfy spirits. Viewer discretion is advised.

#165 2010-10-13 03:20:18

Lycanis

sam witweir also plays in starwars the force unleashed one and two.

#166 2010-10-13 08:08:48

Mitch01
Rising Angel

MarkOne wrote:

Mitch01 wrote:

Yes it's the same guy.

I found a page that has the first set of pics from the US version of the show. I gotta be honest here, I'm not impressed by the new cast. I'll still keep an open mind until there's  some sort of promo or video of them in action, but it's just not working in my opinion.

Here's the link with more pics of the cast:

http://www.daemonstv.com/2010/10/10/bei … st-photos/

thanks!

i wasn't designed to handle the worst and i'm not convinced that loving someone is worth it...

#167 2010-10-24 00:01:04

WolfMontana

Viergacht wrote:

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/im … 0x_top.jpg

Holy freaking f**king heck. What the F**K are they DOING THIS FOR??? WHAT THE gently caress IS THE POINT OF DOING A REMAKE IF YOU'RE GOING TO MAKE IT EXACTLY THE SAME??

WHAT THE HOLY FREAKING F**KAROONI FR-FU-FHUASDHUIOWEGFUIPGFIPAGDI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*head bang against wall, many, many, many times*

What is it with americans and their inability to understand foreign accents? Is that the driving force behind this shite, cause dear freaking LORD... get over it and enjoy the ORIGINAL.

Last edited by WolfMontana (2010-10-24 00:01:33)

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#168 2010-11-08 22:40:07

RadRed21

the first promo is online now. looks like they do realize sam huntington needs to be naked after a change, so there's one plus. no shots of the werewolf though. this will be hit or miss for sure.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hre1iVIPPaU

Last edited by RadRed21 (2010-11-08 22:41:39)

#169 2010-11-09 11:53:00

tebaldo86

Enough with the male werewolves!!!!

Personally, I would like to see a female version of an American Werewolf. I got tired of seeing male werewolves.
and more movies with werewolves woman. Enough of these stereotypes and prissy female vampire and werewolf = male. I want to see how Russell Tovey naked girls screaming in pain while the hairs grow in body, his nose gets longer and become beasts. Why the new film, The Boy Who Cried Werewolf, his father and brother (even) become two hairy beasts, and she remains as only two canines and a bit of hair on the face??
What a bore! But there's no gently caressing American director who takes the initiative to make a film about women werewolf. Do not monkey women. Sorry for the tone, but is more directed towards the film and filmmakers. About my speech, I recommend a website of an American writer that thinks like me.
Very interesting site by a writer in California about to cut with the American philosophy of the female vampire and werewolf male. Who says that women are not sexy as werewolves and between screams and atrocious hair growing and faces that stretch with fangs? Enough with the prissy women, who never get dirty. Women can be more brutal and evil than males. And I'm really okay ...

http://www.talesofthepack.com/2010/10/

Female werewolves Forever!!! lol

#170 2010-11-09 11:56:23

tebaldo86

Can anyone tell me if the new series of Being Human, which is the third, there will be more changes to Nina and not just the poor George?

http://www.talesofthepack.com/2010/10/

smilesmile

#171 2010-11-09 17:15:14

zockereinstein

If you look at what they did in the second series, it is probable that they'll show some TF, but in the case of Nina, a bit "briefer" than George's, because: a) George is a more important character b) Nina is a woman.

#172 2010-11-11 10:40:00

tebaldo86

You're right Zockereinstein,
should stop with this machismo. Give more space to Nina!
mad

#173 2010-11-18 16:13:34

Viergacht

#174 2010-11-18 22:36:39

RadRed21

well, what we can see of the werewolf doesn't look terrible. i just wish we'd stop looking to UK shows to figure out what to make over here.

#175 2010-11-19 08:50:26

zockereinstein

RadRed21 wrote:

well, what we can see of the werewolf doesn't look terrible. i just wish we'd stop looking to UK shows to figure out what to make over here.

Yes, but sometimes is not bad to copy someone else, just if you can do it BETTER. Americans have largely demonstrated that they can do anything better... many times it is a matter of 
a) money   
b) avoiding the fascist censorship there.

Board footer