The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-05-01 19:02:58

The Busboy
Administrator

"Lonely Werewolf Girl" book by Martin Millar

I received an email from a friend about a book titled "Lonely Werewolf Girl" by Martin Millar, here's a weblink:
www.martinmillar.com

#2 2008-05-01 22:31:09

WolfMontana

Re: "Lonely Werewolf Girl" book by Martin Millar

smile Yeah, a friend of mine gave that to me for christmas, but I haven't dived in yet. It's a HUGE book! big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#3 2008-05-06 00:03:05

andriodwerewolf

i just finished this book, and it was a fun read.  it's about a royal Scottish werewolf clan, but their dysfunctional cuz their werewolves.  the main character, kalix, is super cool.  like some of the werewolves are old fashoined werewolves, the others are urban, hip werewolves.  it reminded me some of philip k dick's sci fi stories, in the sense the setting for the story is believable.  it takes place mostly in london, and times in scotland.  there's a great balance of dry english humor, but the characters still remain fierce, and the werewolf battles are viscous.  It takes a real talent to mix those two elements without a book coming of absurd.  and its done very well.  its a big book, but i didn't want to put it down.  i've seriously debated getting a tattoo of kalix, cause she's such a cool character.  and there's plenty of fantastic characters in this book.

#4 2008-05-06 17:56:46

The Busboy
Administrator

Nice review, I'm going to have to get a copy of that book, thank you!

#5 2008-05-06 22:01:33

WolfMontana

I've actually just dived in, and while the writing seems deceptively simple, it's totally engrossing, quirky, fierce and funny. I think I'm going to rip through this book!

#6 2010-07-23 16:50:43

The Busboy
Administrator

From another forum topic that was closed (since this one already existed):

Viergacht wrote:

http://io9.com/5587128/lonely-werewolf-girl-is-a-bittersweet-tale-of-friendship-and-werewolf-fashion
IO9 has an interesting-sounding review of this comic.

Author's site is here: http://www.martinmillar.com/lwg/lonelywerewolfgirl.html

#7 2010-07-29 00:51:03

Breukelengirl
Website

I thought the cover was cool. The name of the book was cool. So I bought it to read and tried. and tried. and tried.
and hated the twenty something pages i managed to read and gave up.
Le-sigh.

I'm a Breukelen, Altijd.
http://altijdbreukelen.wordpress.com

#8 2011-01-16 22:55:05

Minty

@Breukelengirl: Sorry you didn't like it.  Still, I recommend sitting down with some poptarts (will make sense further in) and plowing ahead PAST the first 20 pages.  It really starts to pick up around page 75.

Also, for anyone interested, there's a sequel out, Curse of the Wolf Girl.  It's fabulous, and I, in particular, love the continuing craziness with Dominil!

"They flee from me, that sometime did me seek/With naked foot stalking within my chamber./Once have I seen them gentle, tame, and meek/That now are wild and do not once remember/That sometime they have put themselves in danger/To take bread at my hand; and now they range,/Busily seeking in continual change."--Thomas Wyatt, The Lover Showeth How He Is Forsaken of Such as He Sometime Enjoyed

#9 2011-01-18 21:12:08

WolfMontana

Ooh, sequel! smile

You know I had that immediate reaction to the book - I didn't like it much at first, didn't interest me, but I kept going and got to a point where I had trouble putting it down. It was so strangely written to me - emotionally very detached, dry, and strange. But I finished it and really enjoyed the ride.

#10 2011-01-22 08:53:32

Moonlit Hunter

I got this book for Christmas a couple years ago. It is a fun book, but I felt like the author was high or something when it was written.

#11 2011-02-05 01:15:51

Minty

Moonlit Hunter wrote:

I got this book for Christmas a couple years ago. It is a fun book, but I felt like the author was high or something when it was written.

Millar has admitted to being agorophobic, so it's probably his experience with mental illness showing.  That, and he's a strange fellow--he was hired to write the novelization of the movie Tank Girl, after all.

"They flee from me, that sometime did me seek/With naked foot stalking within my chamber./Once have I seen them gentle, tame, and meek/That now are wild and do not once remember/That sometime they have put themselves in danger/To take bread at my hand; and now they range,/Busily seeking in continual change."--Thomas Wyatt, The Lover Showeth How He Is Forsaken of Such as He Sometime Enjoyed

Board footer