The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#76 2008-07-30 22:05:35

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: From the Files of Department 118 - Part Two (Complete)

Oh, man; all of your comments are so inspiring and helpful, I just can't tell you how encouraging it is! Thank you all so very much for your feedback!

Werer, thank you very much for your feedback. I know you recently worked your way through Part 3 of this story, and I'm very pleased you got this far through Part 2. It really helps me to know that my story is not too deep and keeps the reader engaged. Thank you again.

Punx, thanks again for the typo catch, and thank you for your feedback on the amount of tension. It sounds like I hit the mark I was aiming for, and I appreciate your confirmation on that.

Thank you as well, wolfsong - and you're right. There is a fight scene coming up, but I'd really like some more feedback on it because it feels like it's not enough. Please let me know what you think when we get there.

Without further ado, here's the introduction to the fight scene, but not the scene itself.

-------------------------------------

By the time they reached visual range of the plateau, many in the troupe heard indications of falling branches, distant heavy breathing, and even the deceptive sound of muffled hybreed calls of the hunt. Without any loss of speed the troupe burst from the tree line into the open clearing of the plateau. After a hundred meters or so Truug signaled for the troupe to halt, allowing many to catch their breath. For a few moments, all seemed quiet.

As Chris looked to the tree line, he saw at least one hybreed fall into the open, and quickly scamper back into the seclusion of the foliage. Apparently Truug saw the mistake as well and commanded those in the troupe to laugh at the accident, intending on mocking their hunters. The laughter came to an immediate end when they heard a terrible yelp from within the trees, and then the limp body of a hybreed was catapulted twenty meters out into the opening for all in the troupe to see. Chris recognized the markings as one of the Omegas that refused to make an escape with him. He looked over at Truug with astonishment. Without any mention from Chris, Truug’s expression turned from appalled surprise to disgusted anger, and his teeth made a sinister appearance. Moving one paw at a time, Truug repositioned himself in front of the troupe, facing the trees at where the hybreed was thrown from. This put Grayle, Janna and Garrem in his immediate vicinity, and Chris slowly joined as well.

The shadows of the tree line began to move, and what appeared to be the entire tribe emerged. There were at least thirty hybreed approaching, more than the numbers of which the troupe itself consisted. At the forefront of the tribe was an enormous brown-coated hybreed that none of the troupe could avoid noticing. The Hybreed was looking directly at Chris for a while, and then looked at Truug. Chris also looked at Truug and realized that he was also looking directly at the same large hybreed.

“Raaym,” Chris identified.

With the slightest nod, Truug acknowledged the identification. Chris watched Truug’s eyes focus on Raaym, but also dart to other hybreed in Raaym’s tribe intermittently; he wondered if Truug was merely sizing up the other members of the tribe one by one, or if he detected something specific in the tribe members. His curiosity was deepened with a lack of understanding when Truug turned to Grayle and issued orders.

“Tell the others to look at the way these hybreed stand, and look into their eyes. This tribe is feral. If we fight with our minds as well as our instincts, we will have the advantage.”

Grayle nodded, turned to the hybreed behind him, and began to spread the word. Janna began to do the same for the opposite side of the troupe.

As the tribe drew near they spread out to encircle the troupe, very nearly surrounding them. However, the leaders of each group could not be debated. For what seemed like an endless moment, Raaym stared at Truug, who returned the cold gaze toward Raaym, as if each was assessing the prowess of the other. Finally Truug glanced at the position of the tribe, and then addressed Raaym directly.

“We have made no attack toward you; why do you hunt us?”

“Do not insult me with slippery words,” Raaym growled. “You have trespassed in our territory. It is clear that Graman has brought you here to assist in his revenge. Let me guess: he told you that we follow the Coyote Way like he does?”

“That was his claim,” Truug admitted. “We came to find the truth for ourselves, and we have seen the truth with our own eyes. Even so, we will hear your explanation, if you have one.”

“I do not have to explain myself or my tribe to you,” Raaym said menacingly.

Truug stood strong against the menace. “Yes, you do. You and your tribe hunt and kill but do not feed. You poison the bodies so they bring no benefit to the Earthlife.”

“Earthlife!” Raaym roared with contempt. “If you wish to follow ancient traditions that hinder our kind, then it is you who are Coyote!” He lowered his head and his voice with the chill of his verdict. “I will not tolerate Coyotes in our midst.”

The surrounding tribe began to bear their teeth and growl as Truug prepared his rebuttal.

“The Call of the Hybreed is to be one with the Earthlife. There is no other reason for us to live. And you know that, Raaym; why else would you keep life-linking away from your tribe?”

Raaym’s eyes became wide, as did most of the troupe. Chris had no idea how Truug was able to determine that the tribe was not life-linking, which was a custom that all hybreed considered vital. But the accusation’s effect on Raaym confirmed that Truug was correct. For a split second Raaym acted as if his secret was revealed, but then steadied himself. “We have no need for traditions that hinder our minds and our instincts,” he said with contempt.

As Chris watched this confrontation, he began to realize what Truug had already noticed; the tribe was wild, and turned to Raaym for any decisions that their own instincts could not process. Chris had no idea how this tribe became so wild, but it solidified Raaym’s position as their leader; the tribe would turn to him for guidance. If Raaym manipulated this, it would mean the tribe was not necessarily Coyote by choice.

“You have let their instincts take over their minds so they must depend on your leadership,” Truug continued. “You have let them become wild in the forest, without any connection to the forest itself. You have turned your tribe into mere animals who look to their Alpha for his clarity of thought – an Alpha who condemns life-linking but still does it behind the back of his own tribe.”   

“And what business is it of yours if I take one for the team?!” Raaym growled.

Truug boldly stayed his ground. The other hybreed in Raaym’s tribe began to snap their jaws, barely holding back their attack. The troupe under Truug’s command was also ready and alert, but keeping full control over their dispositions, assessing their foes with skill and observation.

“That is a human phrase,” Truug noted as he narrowed his eyes, “and a fresh one at that.”

Chris also noticed that Grayle, Janna and Garrem suddenly took defensive stances as Truug took a step toward Raaym. The rest of the troupe also followed suit; Chris felt no hesitation in following their example. He also noticed that the tribe was also full of tension, but were merely in unison with the body language of their Alpha; they were only reacting instead of responding. Chris looked at Raaym once more, and could see his emotional restraints barely holding back the rage building under his fur. He was extremely close to losing control; it would take very little to send him over the edge. The pressure in the air itself indicated that Truug was about to push him that little bit further.

"Tell us, Raaym, tell all of us; when exactly was the last time you shifted to human form?”

And that was all it took for Raaym’s breaking point to be reached. He charged at Truug with murderous intent burning in his eyes, slashing from his claws, and lashing from his open jaws. The rest of Raaym’s tribe attacked, nearly two of them to each fighter in Truug’s company. Those few on the inside of the troupe who were not so adept at fighting supplemented the attacks of the fighters when they could. That was all Chris had time to notice before a vicious set of fangs attacked his face and neck.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#77 2008-07-30 23:35:54

punxnotdead

Intense scene, Grayle. I'm still trying to catch my breath here.
I think it's absolutely amazing. It fits so well that Raaym's team is more feral, but not as calculated, therefore making them weaker opponents.
I loved the action sequence and I can't see any better way it could have been executed. You did a fabulous job and I'm still on the edge here in eager anticipation of what's to happen next. The last sentence made my breath catch in my throat. yikes
Awesome!!

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#78 2008-07-31 11:09:24

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Ooooh, thank you Punx! Looks like this is working out pretty darn well - I was fretting over how this climax was going to turn out, and I still am, but I'm very glad it had such an effect on the reader!

Okay, here it is: the 'climactic' battle sequence. Feedback on the sequence would be greatly appreciated, as fight sequences are difficult for me to get right. This segment is a little longer, but it's got a bit of action in it. Even so, the sequence may not be long enough. For those who have read part 3, you might notice a gender change in one of the characters. Nevertheless, here we go.

--------------------------------------------------------

Instinctively Chris rolled with the attack and then tried to shake off his attacker, barely succeeding. He turned and faced his attacker: it was a hybreed with fur as dark as the darkest night. Her eyes were icy pale blue, and stared out piercingly from her appearance of a living shadow. Her ears were pulled back in fierce, threatening anger. Her jowls were raised and revealed long gums that ended in teeth and blood-stained fangs. Her tongue lashed between his jaws in a sinister fashion. However, Chris did not allow himself to be intimidated and prepared for the hybreed’s attack.

The dark hybreed charged at Chris, and Chris realized his opponent was aiming for the neck. Just before contact was made Chris reached up between the hybreed’s arms, grabbed her by the throat and pushed her upward. The effect was that Chris swung the hybreed in an arc over himself, but did not let go. The hybreed hit the ground on the other side of Chris with all the force of her charge, knocking the wind out of her. Chris backed away and examined the ebony hybreed intensely, watching for any movement, but the hybreed seemed incapacitated – at least for now.

Without warning Chris heard a snarl from behind him, drawing near with flashing speed. He turned around to see a gray hybreed charging him directly, only seconds from overtaking him. Just before Chris was reached, the gray hybreed was broadsided by a body of dirty blond fur and tumbled to the ground. The blond hybreed, Grayle, righted himself quickly and with his claws retracted he issued an uppercut to the grey hybreed’s jaw. The gray hybreed collapsed to the ground, unconscious.

“Nice move,” Grayle said with a jut of his jaw toward the dark hybreed, “but it’s not over yet. Let’s go!”

With that Grayle ran past Chris into the nearest of a dozen frays. Once he disappeared into the blurs of fur, fangs and claws, Chris saw a gray and white form leap directly at him from the middle of the fighting. For only a split second Chris remembered himself launching at a rabbit he was chasing in the Imperial forest preserve oh so long ago, and remembered how the rabbit avoided his attack simply by getting out of the way. At the time, Chris was not able to adjust his trajectory while in the air, and it would be the same for this hybreed. Chris stepped out of the way and, as he did, he slashed at his attacker’s hind leg, leaving four gashes across the shin and ankle. The hybreed yelped and crashed to the ground. It immediately righted itself and made a limping run into the trees, refusing to look back. With his peripheral vision, Chris noted two others of the tribe running into the trees as well.

Chris’ instincts heavily tempted him with giving chase, but his mind knew the fight behind him was far more important. He turned and surveyed the scene; the number of skirmishes was reduced by half already. A few were ended with hybreed bodies lying motionless on the ground, but the bodies were members of the tribe, not the troupe. A few tribe members lay on their backs, keeping immobile for fear of the powerful jaws belonging to troupe members clenching down upon their necks. 

And then Chris looked to where he last saw Raaym and Truug; their battle was still raging on. The brute force and size of Raaym was somehow being evenly matched by the agility and speed of Truug. Chris noticed that Raaym was beginning to show signs of fatigue; his attacks were slowing, but still as relentless as they were deadly. Suddenly and without any obvious reason Truug ran for the tree line, and Raaym gave hot pursuit. Chris was about to follow them, but he felt a paw on his shoulder, holding him back.

“No need,” Janna said from behind him.

Chris quickly looked at Janna with bemusement. He watched her confidently look back at the area where Truug and Raaym were headed, and then he did the same. Truug turned and followed the tree line to the left with Raaym following closely. At that point Grayle gave orders for the troupe to watch over the rest of the tribe, and then ran through the grass of the plateau in a direction parallel to the tree line, keeping close eye on the chase in the trees. Janna and Garrem followed, and so did Chris.

Truug continued to dart through the trees with such speed that he easily pulled away from Raaym. Once he was apparently far enough away, Truug leaped into the air, landed on the face of a large nearby boulder, and then bounced back toward Raaym but over him. He bounced back so quickly that Raaym could not counteract the action. As he sailed over him Truug slashed at Raaym’s face, making contact with his right cheek. His trajectory took him to another trunk where he bounded in a reverse direction, sailing over Raaym again and repeating the attack successfully. He continued the attack pattern several times, bounding and rebounding off of nearby trunks, meanwhile slashing at Raaym’s face or arms as their paths crossed. It was like Truug was a pinball, bouncing off bumpers and hacking away at Raaym with speed and precision. Chris was unsure why Raaym was having such a difficult time tracking Truug’s movements, but as Raaym’s face came into view, the reason was obvious. Chris saw deep cuts on Raaym’s face and on his head, spilling blood into his eyes. Soon Raaym let out a roar of frustration and the attacks stopped. To Chris’ ears, Raaym’s howl had the ring of surrender.

As if in answer, two of his tribe that could do so stood and ran into the trees. The troupe members that held some of the tribe in position ceased in restraining their captives. Most of the tribe members stayed where they were, looking downward with submission. When they saw their leader roaring in aggravation, and saw his wounds, their bodies surrendered any tension they had left for the fight.

Chris looked back at Raaym, who was breathing heavily and frantically attempting to scan his surroundings through eyes blinded with his own blood. There were gashes along his ribs and shoulders, which would no doubt cause his own powerful attacks to cause him great pain when used. Even if he could continue, no one could deny that Raaym was beaten.

Chris suddenly noticed Truug, standing on all fours upon the boulder he used to begin his attack, chest heaving with deep breaths. His presence radiated with a regal confidence that seemed as solid and indestructible as the rock he stood upon. He did not bear his teeth or pull back his ears, but his pale blue eyes glared at Raaym with the conclusion of an undeniable judgment. The Alpha of this Coyote tribe, who was uselessly spinning in circles trying to find his previous attacker, was defeated.

Without any warning Chris felt a searing pain on his back. He yelped as fangs attached to powerful jaws made their way through his mane and into his flesh, trying to take a lethal hold. On impulse Chris tensed his shoulders and pulled his head in, trying to protect his spine. Suddenly his attacker released with a loud yelp, and Chris saw the black hybreed he fought earlier tumble to the ground on his right. One of the troupe had dislodged her from Chris; he looked to see who it was that saved him and saw Garrem taking a protective position to his right, glaring at the ebony hybreed. The ebony one immediately recovered from the tumble and then darted toward Raaym in one fluid movement. Before the others could stop her, the ebony hybreed stood before Raaym, looking at Truug sternly.

Truug’s muzzle raised slightly, but he took no action. The others ran near, about to attack. Truug looked at them, but with a commanding look to stay back. He then stared back at the ebony hybreed, who protected his Alpha with resolute loyalty. There they stood, pale blue eyes into ice blue, locked in a moment of time that seemed to hang stark and silent in the air.

Ever so slowly, the black hybreed turned and touched Raaym’s arm. Raaym growled and flinched away, and then growled again in pain. The ebony one reached up, touched the back of Raaym’s head, and gently pulled it downward. She seemed to whisper something into Raaym’s ear which caused him to relax, but reluctantly. Finally she guided Raaym to his right, taking him into the forest.

Truug’s eyes followed their every move, but his presence stood motionless, steadfast upon the boulder. Chris looked at Truug, and then he looked at Grayle, Janna, and Garrem to find out if they should chase the two hybreed as they fled. The three followed the example of their Alpha in only watching the two hybreed leave; they did not make any other move. Chris looked back at Raaym and the ebony one as they left, and for some reason felt a pang of loss when they left, but paid it no further attention. He continued to watch as the trees and shadows engulfed any indication of their presence. Once they were no more, Truug raised his head into the air and let out a loud, confident howl. His pack joined in, and then Chris, and then the rest of the troupe, calling out in tumultuous triumph. 

Finally, Chris heard even more hybreed voices join the howling, and realized that many of the remaining tribe members had joined the howl. The action signified their acknowledgement that their Alpha had been replaced, and they submitted to the leadership of his successor. It signified that the battle was over and, more importantly, the Coyote threat was no more. The Call of the Hybreed had been victorious.

#79 2008-08-01 23:39:45

wolfsongx

Just caught up.  WOW!  Those last two sections were intense!  The banter before the fight and the fight itself were fantastic!  It was also cool to see that Raaym is a shifter also.  That made me giggle.  Great stuff man, just great!

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#80 2008-08-02 22:26:33

punxnotdead

Wow!! Another chair-gripping, nail-biting scene. You described Trugg's motions so well. I could envision it with ease.
You did a wonderful, wonderful job on this segment and you descriptive abilities never cease to amaze me. I like the howling at the end. It gave closure to the situation and left nothing to be confused.
I can't wait for more...soon!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#81 2008-08-03 00:07:33

werer
Sniffer
Website

Oh man, breathless action, blood pulsing in anticipation, I LOVED IT! It's so sad that It will come to an end, it's all so exciting! I can't wait for the next addition.

There's a method to my madness, and a madness to my method.
When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!
*Sniff sniff* I smell art! big_smile

#82 2008-08-07 17:49:14

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you all so very very much for your input - I'm really glad to know the battle sequence worked! I feel like I still need to tinker with it a little, but at least I got a really good foundation. Thank you all again.
  Now we deal with the aftermath of the climax. Once this chapter is finished, I am debating on whether I should put in the Imperial Council meeting as an epilogue, or keep this as the epilogue and add the council meeting as a buffer in between parts 2 and 3, like Hybreed: Confrontations is between parts 1 and 2.
  Maybe I should just get that far, first... 

---------------------------------------------------

Chris opened his eyes slowly, savouring the echo of his life-link. Eventually his eyes moved to view the scene around him: two dozen hybreed silently sitting around a solitary pine, situated in the center of a clearing that Raaym’s tribe frequented. All of their eyes were closed; all their other senses were deeply integrated into personal sessions of life-linking. The group was being supervised by Grayle, with the assistance of Janna and Garrem. They were slowly walking around the group of healing hybreed and intently watching their progress.

Truug’s pack and the members of the Colony that accompanied them had gathered the hybreed of Raaym’s pack that remained, but Truug realized that they needed to be reeducated. Word was sent to the Colony, and other members (including four elders) arrived to assist in the recuperation of the tribe. Truug accepted the Alpha position for the tribe, just as he said he would. Since the tribe consisted of at least five packs, and not all the Alphas of those packs stayed, Truug assigned indigenous members of the Beta Clan to become the needed Alphas. He then relied on Grayle, Janna and Garrem to be his Betas for the tribe, with other Beta positions available for those who earned them.

Chris found himself seriously considering what he could do to acquire one of those positions, and at that point, he started to become troubled. He felt a longing for his friends at Dep:118, who have accepted him as a brother and son, and yet they were not his people. These hybreed, sitting here with him, were indeed his people. Truug and his pack had not only accepted him but relied upon him. He realized that this was where he was needed, and this was where he belonged. He began to wonder if he would be given the chance of seeing Dep:118 again, but a second thought deemed this an unnecessary concern. Truug was not so absent-minded as to forget that Phillip and Jake were still in Romberg awaiting an update, and it had been three days since his pack left for the Colony. Also, arrangements needed to be made to transfer any Lost Children that Phillip and Jake had already found, and bring them into the company of their own kind.   

When Garrem strayed to notice Chris sitting with his eyes open and alert, and perhaps the turmoil of unresolved thoughts showing upon his face, he drew near.

“How are you feeling now, Graman?” Garrem asked.

Chris stretched his neck to the left and to the right, testing the extent of healing upon his injuries. “There is stiffness, but the pain is gone.” He then stood on all fours from his sitting position. “I did not know life-linking could be so useful as well as so important.”

Garrem cocked his head and raised his ears in curiosity, apparently uncertain as to what Chris meant. “It is our way,” he replied.

Chris smiled, admiring the simplicity of Garrem’s understanding. “What I mean is that, although Luumen taught me how important life-linking was to our people, I had no way of knowing it could be used to accelerate healing as well.”

“Life-linking can heal the body, the mind, and even the spirit,” Truug explained as he approached from the forest with Luumen and Gorra. “With you, it was your body that needed healing; but with these others, it is in their minds where most of the wounds reside.”

Luumen explained further. “You see, Graman, when we refrain from life-linking, our people become subjects of the Earthlife instead of caretakers. We become unclear in our minds, indecisive, and eventually we may become mindless, raging beasts.”

“As in the human stories,” Gorra added.

Chris thought for a moment, but then let his musings take verbal form. “So, if one of the Lost Children from long ago learned they were hybreed, but did not know life-linking and did not find our people, they might have become the source of those mythologies.”

Both Luumen and Truug smiled admiringly and nodded in confirmation. However, Chris found the revelation somewhat troubling.

“But I shifted to hybreed for many years before I learned of our people. If all of this is so, then how was I able to withstand losing control for so long?”

“Perhaps you were life-linking when you did not know it,” Garrem surmised.

Encouraged by Garrem’s postulation, Chris paused as his mind traveled back to those years as the Howler, to all the times he traveled into the Imperial forest preserve so he could hunt and explore as a werewolf. He remembered listening to the trees and the animals, smelling every odor upon the breeze, feeling the foliage and earth underneath his paws. And then he smiled.

“I can remember. I was life-linking after all. You are correct, Garrem; I was life-linking and I did not know it.” He looked at Truug with determination. “If a lack of knowing our ways is what causes our people to become monsters, then we must find the Lost Ones and teach them our ways before they become that way.”

“We wish to speak with you upon that subject,” Gorra said, and tilted her head to the right. “Come.”

Chris nodded and joined Gorra, Luumen, and Truug as they left the area. Garrem rejoined Grayle and Janna as they assisted their brethren in finding the Earthlife once again.

Chris was led by the three to a small glade at the bottom of a rock face embedded in a steep hill. There he noticed Rahg waiting patiently with three other hybreed whom he did not recognize. Gorra provided the introductions between Chris and two of the other hybreed. One had very dark brown fur and amber eyes, and was called Quure. The other was a crème-coloured female with blue eyes named Amaya. However, Gorra did not introduce the third hybreed.

Chris looked inquisitively at the unnamed hybreed, who returned a warm yet piercing gaze. His coat was a fading grey, frosted with short black guard hairs along the back. His chest and belly were almost fully covered in white fur, a sign of great age. He looked at Chris with wise, knowing, dark-brown eyes surrounded by a mask of gray fur. Chris felt fully exposed under those eyes, like he could not hide anything from them even if he tried. It was unnerving, and Chris found his desire to avoid those eyes just as strong as his curiosity about the hybreed to which they belonged. Finally, Truug made a simple introduction, one that did not need to be any more intricate.

“Graman, this is Shaman.”

Chris widened his eyes in surprise. His tongue caught in his throat without even opening his mouth, which effectively lodged his breath in the same location. Truug already identified himself as the last of his pupils before Shaman left on a hunt for knowledge, but Shaman was more than just a teacher. Chris was standing before a hybreed whose name alone was the stuff of legend. With the stories he had heard, Chris felt like he was being introduced to the hybreed equivalent of Abraham Lincoln.

“It is indeed a pleasure to meet you, Graman,” he said. His voice was low, solid with resolute confidence, but held a tone that sounded like the peaceful yet powerful waves of the sea. “I understand that your tale is what caused the howling of sorrow I heard pass through the Earthlife two nights ago.”

#83 2008-08-09 01:24:59

wolfsongx

Very nice!  I think this section would do fine as the epilogue, but it is up to you buddy.  I love how Chris realized he had been life-linking all along.  Great stuff Grayle!

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#84 2008-08-09 01:36:58

punxnotdead

Wow! Very nice scene. It flowed so flawlessly. I apologize for the delay in response. Late night shifts mad
Anyways, I was shocked to find out about Shaman's appearance, almost as much as Chris was tongue
I most definately loved the descriptions you used for his appearance and the way you name your hybreed. They're so unique. Gorra's my favourite.
I was also pleasantly surprised to know that Chris was, in fact, life-linking the whole time without knowing it. It adds a slight twist to the great plot.
Awesome job!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#85 2008-08-12 17:40:04

werer
Sniffer
Website

Holidays were due to my long response, I really liked how the last part turned out, the reference of the equivalent meaning to meet Abraham, and the life linking with out noticing. the only things that confuse me is all the names, but I really think it's just me. Great story, and I can feel that it's nearing the end of part two. Is it?

When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!

#86 2008-08-12 20:15:40

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you all very much! It's good to hear that Chris' realization about his life-linking worked - I thought it felt a bit forced, myself.

Oh - You know who I had in mind for Shaman when I describe his voice or comments? Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa. He's a great actor with a voice that isn't used enough, and has that powerful quality in many of his roles that just appealed to my vision of Shaman. Besides, Pat Morita died, and he was often likened too much to Yoda, and I didn't want Shaman to become another Yoda or Mr. Miagi, and Cary-Hiroyuki Tagawa fits my ideas better anyway...

We are getting to the close of Part 2. I'm finishing things up with the Colony, and then I decided that the Epilogue is going to take place in Romberg - let's just say there's a few loose ends to tie up over there. Any Guesses?

-----------------------------------------------------

Chris felt himself at a loss for words, standing before the council of the Colony as well as a living legend. He awkwardly defaulted to bowing respectfully and waiting for someone else – anyone else – to speak. When he looked up, however, his dark blue eyes met a modest smile upon Shaman’s lips. It was a smile that may have been small in stature, but was full of empathy and understanding, radiating with a deep awareness. If only due to a lack of any other explanation, Chris concluded that Shaman must be exceptionally in tune with the Earthlife itself; and Shaman’s comment of how he heard the Colony’s howling verified that conclusion. However, since no one else was yet willing to speak, Chris knew he had to say something.

“Uh… hi,” Chris managed to emit, which only brightened the smiles of all others in attendance.

Shaman smiled patiently. “I have no power over you, Graman, except what you choose to give to my reputation. I am as hybreed as you are, and nothing more.”

Chris thought about the statement, and found it to be filled with profound insight as well as a small portion of modesty. “I understand,” he replied with a nod of acceptance.

“Then let us proceed,” Gorra said, and all in attendance formed a circle and reclined to whatever level met their personal comfort.

“Truug has informed us that you have human friends, and that you deem them trustworthy,” explained Amaya. “He says they would assist us in finding the Lost Children. What can you tell us about your friends, Graman?”

<CHRIS> began to relate the story of Phillip and Shannon finding him while he was in Romberg. He explained about their taking him to Culmna City and meeting all the individuals there, especially Dad. He explained Dad’s theories, and how they agreed to observe and study his shifting capabilities. However, he held his tongue in reference to Emily’s study on the effects of silver infection; he did not want them to think that Dep:118 was researching their greatest weakness for unscrupulous means. He referenced much of the information that Dep:118 was able to retrieve on the hybreed from their cases and investigated sightings. He also told about Dad’s anger in how Raaym’s tribe treated Chris, and described how he, Phillip and Jake were sent to Romberg to find any latent hybreed and help them to avoid Raaym’s tribe, if possible.

Chris was apprehensive about discussing anything about Julie or her people, the Brevish, mostly because he did not want to take the chance of similar rejection as what he received from Raaym and his tribe. Even though the hybreed in the Colony had proved themselves different from Raaym’s tribe, Chris remembered how Dad told him of the almost religious beliefs of most hybreed. As a result, he refrained from offering a different explanation of their heritage for the time being. However, he did tell them of how Dep:118 supported and assisted him when he left to find his parents, and also their reception upon his return. 

As Chris related his information, he noticed Truug smiling just as he did back in the house on Cottonwood Lane. What was even more curious was that he saw a similar expression coming from Shaman as well.

“This Dep:118 you describe does not sound like the tales I’ve heard of the Human government,” Rahg said, “And yet they are part of that government?”

“They are more of an estranged son than a loyal prodigy,” Chris explained. “Dad leads them in ways of exploration and truth. They wish to understand, but they do not wish to exploit. They are very different from the rest of the Empire.”

“Or perhaps they simply arranged it so that is the way you would see them,” Amaya commented.

“Amaya is right to show caution,” Truug said, “But I would have to disagree with accusing these ones of such intricate deception. I have met two of them when they accompanied Graman to our home. They showed us great trust. They showed that our secrets are safe with them, as long as their secrets are safe with us.”

Chris could not help but feel a surge of pride well up inside of him as he heart Truug refer to Dep:118’s policy on secrets.

“And what secrets did they share with you to earn your acceptance, Truug?” Gorra asked.

Truug looked at Chris and smiled, and then looked back at Gorra. “They have a very dark secret that most humans would wrongfully call a Nightmare, and they willingly shared that secret with my pack. They are also keeping their knowledge of our people under close guard, and that alone earns my respect.”

There was little doubt in Chris’ mind that Truug’s comment about a ‘dark secret wrongfully called a Nightmare’ was making an indication of Jake, and he made a mental note to tell Jake about it – that is, whenever he saw Jake again.

“Graman says that they wish not to exploit us,” Quure acknowledged, “but what proof do we have of this?”

Truug replied with an answer. “The humans had a list that they themselves created, similar to the Book of Lost Children. Their list contained many of the Lost Children already found, and many that we are tracking. They provided my pack with a copy of their list without hesitation or our insistence.”

“It does not answer the question Amaya has raised,” Gorra pointed out. “Can we trust them to give us full divulgence?”

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-13 10:59:30)

#87 2008-08-13 08:36:30

werer
Sniffer
Website

It keeps switching from 'Chris' and 'Graman' when it goes to surveying thoughts, did you realise that? other than that descrepancy, pretty darn good!

#88 2008-08-13 10:59:47

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

AAAAAHHHH!!! Not a typo, just a mistake! <EDIT> Okay, that's better.

Thank you for pointing that out, Werer - I think I got all of them.

#89 2008-08-13 11:01:32

wolfsongx

I enjoyed this section Grayle.  I wonder how this will effect the interactions Dep 118 has with the Hybreed.

#90 2008-08-15 02:12:08

punxnotdead

I thoroughly enjoyed this segment - the way you described Shaman's expressions, his willingness to trust others and his overall integrity.
It's natural for the others to be wary, so you brought up very good questions for your characters to ask. This way, you've answered any of the questions the reader may have had and prevents any holes in the storyline. I've always envied your ability to maintain a contant storyline without holes in them.
I thought it was a great segment and I'll be patiently waiting for more.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#91 2008-08-15 15:05:59

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you all very much for your help with this. Here's the next segment. I also added what I would consider a logical wolf characteristic as a response to certain points of discussion; if you catch it, feel free to tell me what you think. Hopefully this segment will answer a few other questions, and maybe provide a little bit of a surprise.
-----------------------------------------------------

Tension began to invade Chris, in full knowledge that he himself was not divulging all the information he held. His tension was accompanied by surprise when he heard Shaman respond in his defense.

“You confuse me, Gorra. You question whether they are trustworthy, and you expect full divulgence from them. However, you are wary of giving full divulgence about our kind to them in return. Other than our traditional fear of humans, is there another cause for the imbalance of your expectations?”

“Traditional?” Amaya defended. “We have that fear with good reason, Shaman.”

“There is no doubt of that, Amaya,” Luumen responded, “but Shaman’s point still holds true. These humans are trying to prove themselves as different in how they would commune with our kind. They have taken the first step in trust, and it is through their help we have subverted an infection of the Coyote Way.”

Truug added his thoughts. “They wish to work with us on our own terms, and have asked nothing but a chance to earn our trust. Does the assistance that they have already provided hold any merit to us?”

Luumen answered with a yip, signifying his agreement with Truug’s point.

Shaman continued. “If these humans are as separate from the biased standing that the rest of humanity takes, then they are the best choice to represent us to others; would you not agree?”

This time Luumen, Rahg, and Truug all yipped in agreement. Chris was unsure if <he> should respond until he caught a supportive glance from Truug, and so he then yipped in agreement as well. The rest of the council members cautiously submitted to the point, but some still had reservations.

“What do you mean by representing us to others?” Quure asked suspiciously.

“I mean two things. First, all of us here know full well that we cannot hide from humans forever. The time of our exposure draws closer with every passing of sun and moon. Would it be better for our people to be discovered by their intolerant government, or be introduced by humans whom we trust to represent and explain our people properly?” Shaman looked at the others in turn. “If we are to quench human fears of our kind, it would greatly help to have human allies standing with us against those fears.”

“I agree,” Truug commented. “I believe that a liaison to humans could be created through Graman’s friends.”   

Both Luumen and Rahg expressed their agreement with yips. Shortly thereafter, Amaya also articulated concurrence with a yip.

Quure scanned the faces of his fellow council members, looked downward for a moment, and sighed heavily. “Very well, then, it is agreed; communication with these humans will be tolerated for the time being. And what is your other meaning, Shaman?”

Shaman smiled in a knowing way, filled with confidence as if he had an ace up his sleeve that he was about to reveal. “I mean that these humans can represent us to other hybreed.”

The council members exchanged bemused glances with each other, as did Truug and Chris.

“In my hunt for the White Wolf,” Shaman continued, “I have met with packs of our people. Some have told me that they have been contacted by a single human who treats them with pacifism and respect. He is called ‘The Oddity’. He does not have a hybreed name, but his human name is-”

“Gareth!” Chris blurted out in surprise. “His name is Gareth!”

“Correct,” Shaman affirmed deliberately as he turned to face Chris; and then he refreshed his smile. “Now that you have confirmed my suspicions, Graman, could you explain to the others how you know of the one called ‘The Oddity’?”

“Because he’s odd,” Chris stated with a shrug, which also earned a chuff-like laugh from Rahg and Luumen, and then he continued. “Gareth is the human that leads Dep:118 in their hybreed investigations. He even has a dialogue with a few hybreed packs. It was those packs who confirmed to Gareth that the way Raaym’s tribe was treating me, as well as their Omegas, was not the Hybreed way.”

Shaman’s eyes shifted to take note of the others in the circle; the grin upon his face testified that he was satisfied with the responses to this revelation.

“Why have we not been told of ‘The Oddity’?” Gorra asked.

“I believe there may be a great deal that we are not aware of,” Amaya stated. “The only ones of our own people that we have had direct contact with are the Lost Children who are found and brought to us. We have heard of other packs and tribes, but have not sought contact with them for fear of those who destroyed the first Colony.” She paused thoughtfully before she continued. “Perhaps we could even have discovered Raaym and his tribe early on if we were more in tune with our own people.”

Shaman merely looked on with admiration upon his face, and Truug broke the awkward pause with a rhetorical question.

“If the fact that others of our own people are accepting Graman’s friends in their midst is not enough proof that we should do the same, then what is?”

Rahg looked at Chris. “Graman, can you arrange a meeting with this ‘Oddity’?”

Chris smiled reminiscently. “Yes; and just so you know, I’m certain he prefers the name Gareth.”

“Then I look forward to calling him by that name,” Rahg said with acceptance.

Chris was beaming with happiness. With the help of Shaman, he gained the opportunity to keep in contact with his friends at Dep:118. The logistics of the plan were hammered out by the council. Luumen mentioned that he considered Chris an important link, not only to the world outside of the Colony, but to the future of the Colony as well. And yet this was not the only startling news that Chris received. As the attendees of the council meeting dispersed, he was approached by both Shaman and Luumen.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-16 11:44:49)

#92 2008-08-16 08:44:59

werer
Sniffer
Website

Yes, great work Grayle! One typo I could find, 8th paragraph, 'Chris was unsure if hi should'  I think you know what went wrong ;D Love how it's turning out.

#93 2008-08-16 11:47:34

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thanks again for pointing that out, Werer...  *grumble grumble* blasted fat fingers...

#94 2008-08-17 04:07:16

werer
Sniffer
Website

mixing up 'i' with 'e' is because of fat fingers yikes ? How fat are they?

Last edited by werer (2008-08-17 04:10:25)

#95 2008-08-18 02:17:33

punxnotdead

Wonderful installment. I adire your ability to incorporate such intellect in your conversations. It definately suits the wise characters and adds a certain quality in them that is difficult to find in other novels. I rarely become attached to character, but I'm hooked...hookline and sinker.
Great, GREAT job!!!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#96 2008-08-18 20:00:10

wolfsongx

Very awesome, sorry it took a while for me to catch up.  smile

#97 2008-08-18 20:17:39

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

...And just in time for another segment, too! Ha!
  In answer to your question, Werer, I have two left fat-fingers. I'm still learning tap-typing.
  And thank you very much for your comments, Punx. I'm very glad that the wisdom comes through in what they say, not merely how I describe them.
   Here's the next segment. Punx, don't spoil the surprise, now...  smile

------------------------------------------------

“We have more information for you,” Shaman said, and with his jaw he gestured to the shade of a nearby tree, away from all the others. Luumen and Chris accompanied him to that location. Upon arriving, Shaman turned toward Chris and spoke with a quiet tone that only amplified the power in his low voice. “A few months ago, I came across a lone hybreed making his way back to the city. He was looking for you.”

Chris raised his ears with surprise. “Who was it?”

Luumen nodded. “We are not certain. Only a few weeks before Shaman met him, I discovered him in the forest, but he was human. I met him in my human form, and gave him our ultimatum: any human who comes into the wood must join the hybreed. To my complete surprise, he said he understood and was expecting it. I shifted before him, and he acted like he was expecting that as well. I made him one of us, and tried to bring him to the Colony, but he did not stay with me on the journey.”

Shaman continued the tale. “I met him deeper in the forest, after his change had taken hold for the first time. I helped him receive the name of Jolaar through life-linking. I could tell that he had inherited Luumen’s shifting ability, so I gave him some basic understandings of our ways, and warned him of how shifters are usually treated by our people; but as with Luumen, he rushed off to the city before I could give him any further guidance.”

“Jolaar…” Chris mused, his eyes trailing off into the distance, and then he looked back at Shaman. “But how do you know he was looking for me?”

Shaman cocked his head. “He said he was looking for the Howler. You are the Howler, are you not?”

Chris could not help but be astounded that Shaman knew of his reputation in the City of Romberg. “I was the Howler two years ago, but another has taken my place. Even so, how could you know that I was the Howler?”

“I told them,” Truug said as he approached.

Chris turned and gawked at Truug, in shock that Truug had figured out he was once the champion in the streets of Romberg, known as the Howler. Truug was gracious enough to provide an explanation as Chris stumbled over his question of how Truug identified him.

“You left Romberg two years ago, the same time the Howler stopped making appearances. Along with that, you carefully avoided discussing the Howler with my pack at out home in the city. Every hybreed we meet asks us about the Howler of Romberg, and whether or not he was of my pack – that is, every one but you.”

Undeniably, Chris was at a loss. He was both impressed by Truug’s deduction and ashamed his behaviour betrayed his former identity so easily. And yet, he was also unconvinced that Truug could make such a deduction when he had such little information. Apparently, Shaman agreed with Chris’ doubt.

“I’m certain you did not make your conclusion simply from a lack of evidence, Truug.”

Truug smiled. “No, by that point I was only suspicious, so I asked his friend Phil if Chris was indeed the Howler, and he provided plenty of confirmation.”

Chris huffed annoyingly. “I bet he did,” he said quietly.

Truug issued a chuff-like laugh.

Shaman smiled as he nudged his shoulder against Chris. “Your friends obviously respect you greatly, Graman. Do not short them for putting their trust in Truug.”

Shaman was right. Chris could have told Truug about his former secret identity with the assurance that it would stay secret; even Phillip recognized that. It actually showed a lack of trust on Chris’ part for him to refrain from telling Truug about his identity. Ironically, trust was the main subject of the council meeting that concluded only a handful of moments ago. Fortunately, Chris thought of a way to show repentance for his unintended affront.

“Truug, I owe you and your pack an apology for not trusting you with my past.”

“Think nothing of it, Graman. No harm was done, and we understand your reasons.”

“With your permission, I would like to prove myself by becoming a member of your new tribe.”

Visually Chris noticed Truug’s shoulders drop, as did his countenance. Truug looked over at Shaman with pained eyes. He took a deep breath, and returned his gaze to Chris.

“No.”

Chris became unsteady as the words bored into his heart, allowing his esteem to bleed into the wind. The resilience in Truug’s pale blue eyes affirmed that the rejection was final, but they were not volunteering a reason.

“But why?” Chris protested through a quivering voice. “You will need help with the tribe, and I can provide that help.”

“You will not become a part of my tribe, nor will you become a part of my pack.”

Chris looked at Luumen, whose gaze was unreadable. “Am I to become a part of the Colony, then?”

Truug sighed. “Graman; if we allow you to become a part of the Colony, my tribe, or my pack, then you would truly be Coyote.”

Chris cocked his head in a lack of understanding. How could association with his own people be considered the Coyote Way? His expression became rigid and his voice developed a latent growl as he asked for clarification. “If this is about my job with Dep:118…”

“Do you remember what Janna said about what it means to be a hybreed?” Truug interjected.

After being caught off-guard by Truug’s interjection, as well as redirected by his stone-like expression, Chris thought for a moment. He remembered the three things that Janna mentioned, when they all met in the Imperial forest preserve. “We tend the Earthlife when possible, we put the needs of the pack above our own, and we make the best qualities of wolf and man a part of us,” he reiterated.

“Yes,” Truug confirmed, and then smiled. “So, if we choose to follow hybreed ways in a human pack, are we still hybreed?”

The point that Truug was making became obvious: Chris already had a pack, namely all those in Dep:118. In line with customary hybreed tradition, he would have been told to leave his life with humans behind, and partake in exclusive association with his own people. The council had reluctantly given Chris an exception to that tradition, acknowledging the need for contact with Dep:118 due to the matters involved. However, he also expected the requirement of severing any superfluous connections with Dep:118 as a consequence, in favour of association with his own kind. And yet Truug was breaking with that tradition as well, saying that his ties with Dep:118 should not be severed but maintained, regardless of the difference in species.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-19 12:08:11)

#98 2008-08-18 21:51:53

wolfsongx

Very cool.  I like how Truug is answering a problem that Chris seemed to have felt earlier about Dep:118.  And I just wonder who it was that was looking for the Howler.  Though I have my suspicions, hehehe.  smile

#99 2008-08-20 15:52:34

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you Wolfsong!
Here's a little more.

----------------------------------------------

“But they are not my people,” Chris argued. “You are my people.”

“Perhaps they are not our kind,” Shaman answered, “but they are your pack nonetheless. If we allowed you to betray your pack merely to join your own people, it would go against what it means to be hybreed. You would be putting your own interests above those of your pack, and I believe you, as well as we, would see that as the Coyote Way.”

The tumult of confusion, rejection, and desperation overwhelmed Chris to the point where his hind end fell to the ground involuntarily. Truug took a step closer to Chris and nudged his lower jaw with his own muzzle, which signified encouragement and support in the hybreed culture. Finally Truug sat next to Chris, raised his head and continued.

“Graman, this has nothing to do with your being our representative to Department 118, though that is a great benefit. I noted how Phil and Jake looked upon you in my own home, and I noted how you looked upon them. They are more than your friends; they consider you as one of their own.”

“But how will I learn our ways if I stay with them?”

“By visiting your people,” Luumen offered as he stepped closer. “You will be welcome in the Colony, and we will teach you all that we can when you are here. We will also rely on you to keep us informed in the trends of our kind beyond our territory. Although contact with you and your pack will be tolerated, I doubt that the Colony will contact any others. They are still licking the wounds in their hearts from the fall of the old Colony.”

“And not only that,” Truug added, “but your pack would be of much more help than we would in helping you find the Howlers.”

Even though he still felt the depression over being denied the chance to join Truug’s tribe, Chris raised his head and cocked his ears in curiosity when Truug mentioned the gang of humans that had stolen his legacy for their own purposes.

Shaman apparently caught the body language from Chris. He smirked, and an almost sinister gleam began to shine from his eyes. “Think about it, Graman; a human came into the forest looking for you, he became a hybreed voluntarily and continued looking for you, and then he returned to Romberg looking for you. Then a gang of humans appear in the city, claiming to be led by the Howler, and the original Howler has nothing to do with them.”

As Shaman led Chris to the obvious conclusion, his eyes widened and he nodded in understanding, and he submitted to the logic. “Of course; he might have been the one who took my title.”

Truug nodded. “Yes; the Howlers did begin to appear in Romberg after this new hybreed left Shaman’s tutelage.”

“Even if he did not, as you say, take your title,” Shaman added, “he would eventually seek out the one who did. He was quite determined to find the Howler.” 

Chris nodded, absorbing in all the information and wise deductions from these hybreed, ones for which he was continuing to respect more and more. He realized that they must have thought this through individually, but as piece after piece of the puzzle was included by sharing each other’s information, the picture became clear. He admired their reasoning and their logic, and especially their support and understanding. Granted, he had lived a rather sheltered life, but the only other place he had seen such qualities manifested was in Dep:118 with his friends, his family, his pack.

“I guess I have a lot to discuss with my pack,” Chris concluded.

The other three smiled in response, and showed their support with nudges under Chris’ jaw. They all stood and joined the rest of Truug’s tribe, most of whom were still life-linking in the distance. Grayle, Janna and Garrem met them with happy greetings. Grayle announced that many in the tribe were thinking decisively again, their sessions of life-linking providing them with clarity of thought and purpose. The Earthlife had regained a lost tribe of its caretakers.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-08-20 17:14:17)

#100 2008-08-20 21:24:00

wolfsongx

I had nearly forgotten about the Howler gang.  Very cool.  I really like the last sentence about the Earthlife regaining a lost tribe of caretakers.  I think it was quite touching.  Great job buddy.  smile

Board footer