The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#101 2008-08-21 03:40:56

werer
Sniffer
Website

Re: From the Files of Department 118 - Part Two (Complete)

I have just caught up, had a massive assignment to do and now work is piling on top of me, delaying all my personal stuff, behind in everything! soon I'll catch up, Love your stories Grayle, and it's really good that you can shoot your ideas like a slingshot to the open world and manage to come back to where you left off. Keep it up and can't wait for the next one. (p.s. particularly liked the conflict that arose, it was very interesting both in context and the reactions to it)

There's a method to my madness, and a madness to my method.
When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!
*Sniff sniff* I smell art! big_smile

#102 2008-08-21 22:58:50

punxnotdead

I don't know how I missed this hmm
Still, I think you did a wonderful job. Initially, my heart sunk when I heard that Chris couldn't be apart of the pack, until I heard the reasoning. It's a very clever reasoning that never even crossed my mind. I was interested to see how you'd smooth that minor dilemma and you executed it perfectly. And now Chris has to face The Howler wanabees. I can't wait to see where that takes him.
Great job! wink

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#103 2008-08-22 18:25:54

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you all very very much. I wasn't sure if the denial of Chris' request was emotionally provoking enough, but it sounds like it worked well. That's great to hear!
  And here's the first segment of the next chapter, where we explore other goings on in Romberg. I'm still not happy with what I've got in this chapter so far, so it may not stay, but here's the first bit anyway.
Oh - btw, I have a little tribute to a famous sci-fi novel by Orson Scott Card in this segment. Tell me if you catch it.

------------------------------------- 

The building was vacant, musty and dark, and that was merely the outside. The windows displayed either an amber hue or multiple layers of film, turning them almost opaque from the grime. In the far corner was a set of stairs that climbed the outside and reached a second story. Once upon a time this building may have been the home of large boxes of paraphernalia, or perhaps large vats of some liquid, or maybe even a storage bay for vehicles. But now whatever wares it housed were long gone, and its purpose was as empty as its interiour, its entire existence forgotten by the Empire.

It was an adequate place to gather, especially when you didn’t want anyone to know you were gathering.

Chris and Jake had taken turns watching the building over the last week, learning the comings and goings of those who met within its walls. Nearly every one of them wore the armband that identified them as members of The Howlers. There were some who did not have it and entered the building, but never emerged without acquiring one. Quite a few of those who did not emerge at all appeared to be from the streets, but Chris did not recognize any of them.

Chris perked his ears out of reflex when he felt a foreign thought enter his mind.

Phil’s here; and he brought your friend.

Chris looked up from his perch on a nearby rooftop and peered over to the building on the other side of the warehouse. He saw the winged shadow of the night that he knew as Jake meet his eyes and point down to the street on his right. Chris looked toward the implied location and saw Phillip walking down the street with the manager from the Deli, Melissa, accompanying him.

“Time for me to change into something a little less comfortable,” Chris thought consciously.

And a lot less furry, he felt Jake add.

Chris smirked and made his way to the edge of the office building he was stationed upon; it was the edge opposite the street that Jake pointed out. He looked down over the edge and found his target: a dumpster in the alley, behind which was a red backpack awaiting his arrival. He scanned the alley, and when he was satisfied there were no unauthorized onlookers, he dropped to the ground six meters below. After pulling the dumpster away from the wall as quietly as he could, he took a position behind the dumpster with his bag. He reached into the largest compartment of the bag and took out a thin, folded tarp, and with little difficulty he deployed it upon the ground. Finally he stood upon the tarp and closed his eyes.

Chris took a deep breath and listened deep within himself for his internal song: the humming frequency in which his molecular structure vibrated. He willed the appropriate change of tone to his song, and then began to feel the heat engulf his body. The uncomfortable aching was soon replaced by searing pain as his body began to twist and writhe into something less than what he previously was, but within seconds the pain was doused by the mercy of his own nervous system. As his legs and arms reformed into more of a human appearance, the thick fur that was protecting his skin fell out of his pores in large tufts and landed on the tarp. His skull began to rise, giving the illusion that his ears were sliding onto the sides of his head as they thickened and shrank in dimension. His fangs receded, and his claws fell off of his fingers, pushed out of their place by human fingernails, usurping the position from underneath. As usual, Chris felt the chill of the air as his fur fell to the tarp and the change finished.

Quickly Chris reached into his bag and donned a pair of cargo pants, pulling them over the traditional hybreed loincloth that most of his people wore. He then added a pair of sandals to his ensemble, and a black t-shirt that he borrowed from Grayle that said “The Enemy’s Gate Is Down” across the front. He quickly raked his fingers through his full, brown hair, stretched a little, and then collected the corners of the tarp. He maneuvered the tarp around to the front of the dumpster and poured its contents into the dumpster, shaking out any hair left behind. Lastly he packed the tarp back in his bag, zipped it up, slung it over his shoulder, and began walking toward the corner of the office building.   

Chris walked around the corner to the right, down the side of the building, and met the other two at the next corner. This put the point of thief meeting just to the side of the warehouse. When they met, Chris looked at Phillip with a smile, and his smile did not falter as he shifted his gaze to the woman who accompanied Phillip. The woman had a look that to Chris’ hybreed eyes did nothing to hide her trepidation.

“It’s very nice to see you again, Melissa,” Chris greeted. “Thanks for agreeing to see us.”

“Likewise,” she replied with great strain upon her courteous demeanour, and then crossed her arms. “You mind telling me what’s going on?”

As he considered where to begin, Chris looked up just in time to see a distortion in the night sky that looked like a black, winged Nightmare leaping from his chosen vantage point and gently landing on the roof of the warehouse without a sound. Chris returned his gaze to Melissa, and addressed her with a soft, gentle tone.

“Let me start with a question: how come you didn’t mention The Howlers to us?”

She looked at him surprisingly as she let her arms down. “Is that what this is all about? I thought you already knew them.”

Chris shook his head. “No; like I said before, I just came back to Romberg less than a week ago.”

“Oh, yeah; right. Well, I’ll tell you what I know, but it isn’t much. I started hearing about them a month ago. They were trying the same crime fighting thing you were doing, but they weren’t very good at it, and now I’m not sure what they do. When people started hearing about them, Howler fans began coming by the Deli again because they knew our block used to be a hot spot for Howler sightings. I guess they were hoping to get a glimpse of you. I didn’t mind that so much, but then the suits started showing up.”

“Suits?”

“Yeah; there were a few big burly guys who kept coming by, asking questions about the Howler over and over again – if we’d seen him, who and what he was, things like that. It didn’t take much to realize that they weren’t fans; one time I caught them trying to get someone else to ask us in their place. When you came around, I figured you were another one of their attempts.”

“So why didn’t you say anything once I told you my name?”

Melissa laughed. “Because I still didn’t believe you; that’s why. You could have heard that name floating around the Deli and went on a hunch, for all I knew. You told me about Justin’s message and the food bowl, but anyone with a telescope could have figured all that out.”

Phillip interjected. “So what you’re saying is that with all the pressure from fans and these ‘suits’, what Chris told you wasn’t enough to go by.”

Melissa looked at Phillip. “Well, yeah. That’s why I asked if you were coming back; I figured you already had, and you were leading the Howlers. When you said you had a job in another city, I wasn’t sure what to think.”

“I can imagine,” Phillip said.

“And you couldn’t ask me outright in case I was working for those ‘suits’,” Chris surmised.

Melissa nodded with an attitude that could be described with the term ‘Duh.’ Chris took a deep, relaxing breath and continued.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#104 2008-08-22 23:09:21

punxnotdead

Very nice! I loved those descriptions of the warehouse. I could see it play so vividly in my mind - like a movie. As for the winged shadow streaking across they sky, silent, that was superb. It nearly sent a trail of shivers down my spine.
And I can't wait to see whether he'll meet The Howlers and perhaps get into a skirmish with the group of people that sounded none too thrilled about him.
Please post more whenever you can!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#105 2008-08-22 23:19:18

wolfsongx

Hmm.  I find this intriguing.  Though I have no idea who  Orson Scott Card s and what the reference was.

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#106 2008-08-23 09:40:37

werer
Sniffer
Website

Ditto, Wolfsongx beat me with the comment.

When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!

#107 2008-08-25 13:01:34

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you very much, Punx! I can't guarantee that Chris will meet up with the 'suits,' but I will say that Truug met them in Hybreed: Confrontations. As to the Howlers, well, he's about to meet up with them, but it probably won't be as action-packed as you're hoping. I apologize in advance.
  As to the tribute, it's on the front of Chris' shirt: "The Enemy's Gate Is Down." It comes from one of the best novels from Orson Scott Card, called Ender's Game. I'd recommend it as good reading - if you're a fan of science fiction, that is.

Any whey, I'm guessing that you may already have an inkling of who they're about to find, but even if you don't, here's the next segment.

------------------------------------------------------------

“Look, Melissa; I don’t work for any ‘suit’. Even our boss at Dep:118 doesn’t wear a suit. And you act like you believe us a little more, now; is it safe to assume you’ve checked out our story of working for Dep:118?”

“I wouldn’t be here otherwise,” She said with a nod.

Chris raised an eyebrow enticingly. “Well, since I’m not the one leading the Howlers, someone else obviously is, and I think I know who.”

Melissa shifted her dark brown eyes at her surroundings, but when she gained no indication of where they would go next, she looked back at Chris. "You think he’s around here?”

Chris nodded confidently with a smile. “And if I’m right, I think you probably want to meet him as much as we do.”

She looked at Chris with intrigue dissipating her attitude.

“What do you say?” Phillip asked. “Want to find out with us?”

Melissa looked at Phillip for a second, and then looked at Chris again, and finally shrugged. “Sure,” She replied to Phillip, “But I’m going with you, not with him.”

Chris looked at Phillip. Phillip raised his head in mocking, pompous pride.

“Okay…” Chris said, uncertain whether he should feel slighted or relieved.

Phillip offered his bent arm to Melissa. “My lady?” he offered.

Melissa graciously linked her arm in his with thanks. As the two passed by Chris, Melissa huffed at him and Phillip raised his nose into the air. Chris rolled his eyes; it became apparent that the two were hitting it off almost too well. He caught up with them and accompanied them to the front of the warehouse, where they found an unlocked door. With the utmost care, Chris opened the door and silently entered the warehouse.

The inside housed a large open expanse, and the floor was populated with makeshift drapes and dividers. The setup reminded Chris of divider curtains in a makeshift hospital, and maybe the cubicle maze back at Dep:118, just a little. Flickering lights shining from behind the drapes indicated small fires at strategic positions. Shadows of individuals crossed the light sources randomly. Chris looked up and noticed that many of the windows were open, no doubt used to help the holes in the roof with ventilating smoke from the fires. In the far back of the building, on the second story, one of the half-dozen offices also held illumination.

Chris did not have as acute senses in his human form, but they were still more sensitive than the average human. His ears told of at least thirty occupants, give or take. He sniffed the air and found the faint scent of only one hybreed, along with the pungent stench of unwashed human bodies. He also caught the whiff of tobacco and stale food, but another scent came from above; the scent of gunpowder. His eyes scanned the metal beams that supported the roof, and among the supports were three catwalks. They expanded across the roof from the outside entrance to the second story, running parallel to each other, and they were populated by men pointing weapons at them.

“Just so you know,” he announced to Phillip and Melissa, “they already have their sights set on us. Let’s try to be as non-threatening as possible.”

“Maybe this wasn’t such a good idea,” Melissa commented.

“No need to worry; they’re just being protective,” Phillip assured her. “I’ve run into this kind of thing before. As long as we’re not a threat, we’ll be just fine.”

When Chris looked over at Philip, he returned the gaze with only enough concern in his eyes that Chris alone would pick up on it.

Yeah, right; and Phil doesn’t like Ava Townsend anymore, either, came a foreign thought into Chris’ mind. The thought caused him to smirk, and also reminded him that they were not alone. He wondered if Jake knew about all the guards in the building.

Don’t worry, I got your back, Was the returning thought. If anybody in there tries anything, they’ll be instantly terrified of guns, heights, fire, darkness, clothes, air, and chickens all at the same time.

“Brutal!” Chris mentioned in his mind. “Can you tell which one of them is hybreed?”

Not a clue, came the reply, but if your hunch is right, we‘ll find out soon enough.

Chris slowly advanced forward toward the drapes with Phillip and Melissa following him closely. Before he got to the drapes, he was approached by three individuals. The leader of the three was African-American with a medium build and a shaved head, clearly the one with authority. To his right was a blond-haired muscular man, obviously using his stature to intimidate his opponents, and wearing an open vest to show off his formidable physique. He held his weapon out so that their visitors could easily take note of it. To the left was a slender man with dark hair and a rounded face showing Hispanic origins. All of them wore the black armbands with a picture of a howling werewolf.

“We were told you guys are led by the Howler. We’d like to see him,” Chris stated.

“I’d say ‘nice try,’ but it wasn’t even that,” said the bald one.

“Well, if we can’t see him, can you give him a message for me?”

He smiled derisively. “Sure.”

“Okay, tell him this: Christopher Hansen wants to know if he is using the food bowl at the Deli. Say it just like that. We’ll wait here.” At that point Chris changed his stance and posture to indicate he wasn’t going to move until someone returned with a reply.

None of the three men moved an inch, but stubbornly stood there in defiance of the visitours. Melissa was becoming fidgety, but Phillip had already met his level of impatience.

“Hey Jolaar!” He called out to the rest of the warehouse. “You gonna keep Chris waiting, or what?”

Other than a few faces looking out from the drapes, Phillip’s call resulted in no discernable reaction, and its echo died a lonely death. After an extensive moment, they detected movement in the shadows of the far right corner under the second story. Out from the shadows emerged a man with disheveled dark hair and an unshaven face. His dark jeans and sweatshirt were not in disrepair, but he was wearing them in an unkempt fashion. He stared at them with widened blue eyes. The individual’s look of surprise was recognized by Chris, who had seen that look once before two years ago. However, Melissa was the one who gave a name to the individual as he drew near.

“Oh my god!” She said. “Justin!”

#108 2008-08-25 17:36:57

werer
Sniffer
Website

Oooh, suspense! and this is really interesting too, I really like how it's turning out, I've never read anything regarding to a group in a warehouse (I was so tempted to say werehouse) this is good and I can't wait for more!

#109 2008-08-26 12:30:07

wolfsongx

Hehe, just like I thought.  Very nice to have things come around Grayle.  I love it!

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#110 2008-08-27 16:37:10

punxnotdead

Wow! Now that was something I wasn't expecting. It took my breath away. Great job with the suspense and creating it through the atmosphere. It was so vivid! I especially loved this ...and its echo died a lonely death. You did a superb job and this story just keeps getting more and more deliscous. I can't wait to see the end result!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#111 2008-09-02 13:37:13

punxnotdead

I apologize for the double post and I don't mean to sound insistent, but I was wonder whether you'll have another segment up...soon?
It's getting more and more unbearable without your story.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#112 2008-09-02 14:30:54

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Sorry for the delay; life and stuff getting in the way. Not only that, but I don't think I like where this part of the story is taking us, so I may have to re-write this whole chapter. I'll finish it first and see what comes of it, though.
   Here's another short segment - it's all I have ready, for right now. Sorry I don't have more, Punx, but I'm working on it, and thank you so very much for your interest.

-------------------------------------------

Justin drew nearer with a stumbled walk, but he focused solely on Chris, not paying any attention to Melissa, Phillip, or his gang of followers. Chris noticed that the bald one was greatly concerned at the emergence of Justin, but surrendered to the action loyally. Chris then looked upon Justin, one of his only confidants in Romberg, and began to assess his current state. Justin looked to be unstable mentally, his eyes darting back and forth with a lack of self-confidence. As he evaluated Justin’s condition, Chris understood that Justin was not himself; with his recent experience with Raaym’s tribe in mind, Chris was reasonably sure as to the cause, but he was nowhere near sure as to why, or how.

“C-Chris?” Justin stuttered as he drew near.

Chris reached out and held Justin by the shoulders. “Yes, Justin. It’s me.”

“You came back. You finally came back?” 

“Yes, Justin,” and Chris smiled. “I’ve come back.”

“That’s good, r-right?”

Chris could not stop the wave of pity that poured over his heart, pushing heated tears into his vision. Ever so gently he gave Justin a supportive, brotherly embrace, and Justin began to cry. Chris squinted, squeezing the tears out from the corners of his eyes. He turned his attention to the bald man, who was watching this with surprise, and perhaps even relief.

“I’d guess that he was fine when you first met him, but after a while he became incoherent and indecisive, and gradually became this. Is that about right?”

He submissively gave a nod of confirmation, still watching Justin.

“What happened to him?!” Melissa cried out through her quivering voice. She took Justin’s face in her hands, looking directly into his eyes. “Justin; it’s me, Melissa. Can you tell us what happened to you?”

“Melissa?” Justin asked.

“Yes,” She replied desperately. “It’s Melissa from the Deli; don’t you remember?”

“W-where did Chris go?” He asked.

Chris stooped down so that his face was in Justin’s line of sight again. “I’m right here, Justin. It’s okay; everything will be all right.”

“Why doesn’t he recognize me?” Melissa asked.

Chris shifted his eyes to Melissa as he explained. “His instincts are recognizing me as his own kind, and that’s all he can recognize right now. If we can heal him, he’ll know who you are again.” Chris looked back at Justin. “Justin, this is my friend, Melissa. She’s going to help us out, so I want you to listen to her, okay?”

For a moment, Justin’s face was bemused, but then he seemed to understand and nodded. “Okay,” he replied.

Chris gave Justin’s shoulder a supportive squeeze, accompanied by another confident smile, and then stood up. He wiped the tears away from his eyes and Looked at Phillip, who gave him a nod of support. Phillip also accompanied Chris as he approached the three men, focusing on the bald one.

“My name’s Christopher Hansen, and this is Phillip Alton. Can I ask your name?”

“Lance.”

“Are you the one in charge, Lance?”

“The Howler is the one in charge,” he said with pride, but pride faded away with a look toward Justin and a sigh of surrender. “But I can make decisions in his… absence.”

“I understand, Lance, more than you know. You’ve probably already figured this out, but Justin’s mind is in bad shape, and we need to get him to a place where he can heal. I don’t really have any way of proving what I say right now, but I’m sure you know what Justin really is, and you saw him recognize me. Can you trust me when I say that we mean no harm, and we want to help him become what he once was?”

“We have no idea who you are, or what your intentions are,” the large blond stated.

“I understand that, and that’s why I’m asking for your trust. We need to get him to a forest for a while, for a few hours at least. Bring as many of your own people as you think you might need to protect him, but we need to get him there as soon as we can.”

Lance stood his ground, unwilling to relent so easily.

Tell him it’s in the name of the Howler, Chris heard in his mind. Without a mental response, Chris softened his face.

“Lance, please; in the name of the Howler, help us to heal him,” he pleaded.

Lance looked at Justin for a moment. He slowly approached Justin and positioned himself to look at Justin’s face. After a moment’s hesitation, Lance stood up and turned to the men that were previously standing with him.

“Alright, we’ll give this a shot. Weber, get the van and bring it around.” The smaller of his comrades, Weber, nodded and ran for the exit. “Follanz, help me get him into the van.” The large, muscular blond stepped toward Justin. Lance started walking toward the drape dividers. “Biz! Hey Biz!”

A head wearing a baseball cap emerged from the dividers. “Yeah?” the head called back.

“We’re going out on a run; you’re in charge until we get back!”

“Whatever!” the head retaliated, and disappeared into the dividers again.

Lance and the muscular Follanz approached Justin, who was still being supported by Melissa. With great care they took Justin from Melissa’s loving arms and helped him to the exit. Melissa stood at a loss, and accepted Phillip’s support as a replacement.

Chris consciously formed a thought in his mind. “In the name of the Howler? What did you guys do, turn me into a messiah after all?”

Not a bit, Came the mental response. We set it up so people would want to make things better in The Howler’s honour, remember? ‘In the name of the Howler’ just means in honor of what the Howler stands for. It’s not a hypnotic suggestion or a religious phrase; it’s just a very encouraging influence, that’s all.

“Whatever,” Chris thought back, mocking what he heard the one called Biz say a moment earlier. In response Chris received the mental image of Jake sticking his tongue out at him, with his ebony hands in his enormous ears, flailing his fingers. It very nearly took all Chris had to stop from laughing out loud.

“We’re going with them, right?” Phillip asked Chris.

Chris looked around at him, and Phillip’s serious but curious face gave Chris the fortitude to overcome said mental image. “Yeah; we need to go with them.”

“Something wrong?”

“Time and place, Phil; I’ll tell you later. For now, let’s get going.”

#113 2008-09-02 21:39:52

wolfsongx

It's an interesting section.  However something doesn't feel right, like it's just too easy for them.  Well that is my opinion anyway.

#114 2008-09-05 11:31:15

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

That's a good point, Wolfsong. I think I might rewrite it with more conflict; it might actually make this chapter work. Still, I'll finish the chapter before I rewrite it.
Here's some more.

------------------------------------------

“How long is this going to take?” Lance asked as they all rode with Justin in the back of an old-fashioned, ground-hugging van.

The ride was not very distracting, so Chris was able to determine that Lance was asking out of curiosity, not out of irritation. Weber seemed to have decent driving skills; the expected lunging around the corners was practically non-existent. The back area of the vehicle was neither spacious nor cramped, given that five people were encased in it. The walls of the van were stripped of any decoration, leaving only a molded layer of sheet metal between the passengers and the city outside. Chris and Melissa were sitting on either side of Justin, supporting him as they traveled. Phillip had taken a position near the back doors across from Chris, and Lance asked his question from in front of the side door, squatting where there was no bench to sit upon.   

“I don’t really have a way to tell,” Chris responded. “The thing is, I’ve seen our people in this state when they’re in hybreed form, but I don’t understand why he’s like this in human form.”

“What’s a Hybreed form?” Lance continued.

Justin stirred a little, causing Chris to refocus his attention. Phillip provided the explanation as Chris focused on Justin.

“It’s their werewolf form. Their species is called ‘Hybreed’. The hybreed are genetically-engineered werewolves created to become caretakers of the planet’s ecosystem. Justin’s one of them, and so is Chris.”

Lance barked a mocking laugh. “Werewolf gardeners? You can’t do any better than that?”

Phillip raised an eyebrow over his frowning countenance. “I see; so let me get this straight: You’re a member of a street gang in Romberg that’s accepted leadership from a real-live creature of myth and legend known as a werewolf, who’s also a crime fighter, and might lose his mind if we don’t get him to a forest environment, and suddenly you have a problem believing their intended calling?”

Lance’s mocking smile dimmed and his gaze shifted downward, and then he tilted his head and raised his eyebrows in submission to Phillip’s argument. Chris felt an instance of pride warm his insides as he heard Phillip defend and describe his people, and continued to listen as Phillip provided further explanation.

“Honestly; we’re not making this up. Chris and Justin are part of a hidden werewolf society that will eventually be discovered by humanity. Now, people like you, me and Melissa have learned that these werewolves are nothing to fear if we prove ourselves their friends, and they do the same. But the rest of the world won’t see it that way, and it’s going to be up to people like you, me and Melissa to show that humans and hybreed can coexist peacefully. However, that also means we don’t have the luxury of doubting their name or their intended purpose. Does that make sense?”

“I get you, I get you,” Lance replied calmingly, and then looked at Justin again. “I’m just having to get used to this all over again.”

“Well, if we ever get the chance, I’ll introduce you to Jake and Julie; they’ll really blow your mind. In the meantime, please take our word for it.”

Lance looked at Phillip curiously, almost with scrutiny, but did not debate his statements. Instead he redirected his visage upon his leader, the second Howler of Romberg, who was resting his head in Melissa’s lap like an innocent child would nap in the protection of a loving mother. As Lance looked upon his leader with concern, Chris added a quick thought to finalize Phillip’s argument.

“Lance, the world is a lot bigger and more complex than even what you’ve already discovered on your own. Werewolves are just the tip of the iceberg; humanity is going to have to stop being so naĂŻve, and that’s going to happen in our lifetime. You’ve already taken the first few steps by accepting the existence of Justin and me; don’t stop taking steps now, okay?”

Lance looked at Chris with a deep-rooted understanding glistening in his dark brown eyes, and nodded with assurance, but then changed the subject as he turned to Philip. “So how do you know about the, um, hybreed?”

“Chris and I work for Dep:118 of the Empire. We track and investigate unexplained phenomena. Werewolf sightings fit right into our charter, and there’s been hundreds of werewolf sightings in the past few decades alone. We found Chris about two years ago, and he agreed to join us in order to help humans and hybreed learn to accommodate each other.”

Lance looked at Chris for a moment, and Chris returned an affirmative gaze. “Are you the only… hybreed, that the Empire knows about?”

“To be honest, the Empire itself doesn’t know about us yet,” Chris said, “but they will soon enough, there’s no doubt about that. Right now, Dep:118 is the only part of the Empire that knows we exist.”

“In answer to your question, though,” Phillip interjected, “Chris is the only one on the human side of the fence for right now – unless you want to count Justin as well.” 

Once again, Lance took a moment to look upon Justin in his dilapidated state. As he did, Chris suddenly noted that Melissa had been rather quiet through the trip, and her attention seemed to be focused on the front of the van. She may have been focusing on the front of the vehicle to stop from feeling sick, or perhaps to take her mind off the predicament of the man who rested his head in her lap. Whatever the case, Chris decided not to break her attention at that time, just to be courteous if nothing else.

“Weber,” Lance asked, “how long until we reach the Forest Preserve?”

“Ten minutes or so,” Weber called back over his shoulder. “The streets are pretty clear, but I’m doing my best not to tip off any Fivers.”

Chris looked at Lance with confusion. “What are Fivers?”

“Agents of Dep:5,” Lance answered. “Police.”

Chris found this confusing. When he was the Howler, Dep:5 was willing to let him continue in his efforts as long as the property and collateral damage was kept low; but now it sounded like they were after the Howler like he was a fugitive.

“Wait a minute,” Chris said, “I thought Dep:5 didn’t mind you guys or the Howler helping out with the crime rate.”

Lance looked at Chris. “They didn’t use to. They even gave us commendation for helping to get people on the streets cleaned up and taking jobs. That’s what we’re doing back at the warehouse. But ever since he got sick,” and Lance jutted his jaw at Justin, “they’ve been trying to capture him, and us.”

“Ever since he got sick? Do you know why?” Phillip asked.

“No, we don’t, but it just doesn’t feel right that they’d suddenly take an interest in capturing him once he got sick. It’s too much of a coincidence.” 

“And there’s no way they’d know his condition unless someone who knew about it told them,” Chris said as he thought about the circumstances. He looked back at Lance and saw his dark brown eyes looking back at him with an unceasing steadiness that made Chris feel a little self conscious.

“Exactly,” Lance replied.

Chris looked back at Lance, mirroring his expression. Chris realized that Lance was not accusing him of anything, but he was silently informing Chris of the seriousness of the situation. Lance suspected a traitor in their midst. Chris looked over at Phillip to find out his thoughts on the matter. Phillip was staring back at him with curiosity.

“Still worried about me and my conspiracies?” Chris asked him.

Phillip shook his head slowly. “Yeah, I am; but Lance is right. If Dep:5 started hunting the Howler just as he started getting like this, then it’s likely they know he’s not at his best right now. And they haven’t contacted Dep:118 since you left Romberg, either. They never told us about the Howler returning, or his gang. I think this is something we should tell Dad about as soon as we can.”

“Wait; you’re from Romberg?” Lance asked Chris.

Chris looked at Lance, and noticed the surprise on his face. Lance was on the edge of putting the whole picture together, one that revealed Chris as the Howler and Justin as his successor. Although Chris wasn’t sure if he could trust Lance and the rest of the Howlers completely, perhaps they had the right to know the origins of the one in whose name they acted. He took a deep, steadying breath and looked squarely at Lance.

“With everything going on, I guess there’s really no reason to keep it from you, and I think you have the right to know anyway. Two years ago, the Howler stopped showing up for a while.”

Lance nodded, his eyes wide with anticipation.

“Well, that was because the original Howler got recruited by Dep:118.”

Lance sat motionless. Not even the lurching of the van swayed him, and his eyes were fixed upon Chris.

“Justin isn’t the original Howler; I am. I let Justin know who and what I was to show my thanks for his support, and apparently he went searching for me. He found my people instead and they turned him into one of us, but then he left for Romberg before they could teach him our ways. Once he got back to Romberg, I guess he tried to pick up where I left off.”

Lance continued silent for many moments, staring at Chris with wide, dark brown eyes, until finally he was able to manage a question in reply.

“Why? Why did you leave?”

Far from his own expectations, Chris suddenly felt a pang of guilt at his leaving Romberg; he never really considered that he might be missed by those in the City, even when he was talking with Melissa back at the Deli. However, he also felt a wall of boldness muster inside of him. He understood the reasons for Lance’s question, but he was not about to put up with a guilt trip.

“Lance, I needed to find out why I was the only werewolf I ever heard of. I had to find out where I came from, and what happened to my family, or even if I had one.”

“And those are just some of the questions he had, believe me,” Phillip added.

Chris sighed. “I needed to find some answers; and those answers led to something much bigger than being the Howler.” Chris took another breath as he glanced down at Justin for a second, and then redirected his attention to Lance. “Look, I’ll tell you more later on, but right now let’s focus on getting the current Howler back up and running, okay?”

Lance also looked at Justin for a moment, and then looked back at Chris. “So what are you going to do once you heal him?”

Chris cocked his head summarily. “That will be up to your Howler,” he said as he glanced at Justin. “As for me, I want to find and protect others of my kind, and I can do a much better job of that with Dep:118. Besides, you follow Justin as the Howler, not me; why should I try take that away from all of you?”

Lance’s eyes looked Chris over once more, and then he seemed to relent. What’s more, his body language hinted to Chris that he was growing in respect for Chris, as well as acceptance. As he looked over Lance’s shoulder, he noticed that Follanz and Weber were staying quiet, not doubt also listening to the conversation. He hoped that the two would accept his explanations as thoroughly as Lance did, but only time would tell.

And the rest of the trip was filled with respectful silence, the passengers digesting the information that was shared in an old-fashioned van on its way to the Imperial Forest Preserve.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-05 11:55:26)

#115 2008-09-05 23:42:08

wolfsongx

Now I do like this scene.  I think Lance's reaction was perfect, and Chris' response was spot on.

#116 2008-09-07 06:27:21

werer
Sniffer
Website

Caught up! Love it as always. I really like how the whole feel of it works out. It's really exciting to get to the next part!

#117 2008-09-07 22:08:30

punxnotdead

Wow! Great segment. I like the way you answered the questions, as though he left nothing out - very informative for the readers and characters.
I can't wait to see who the traitor mught be and how this will all turn out. (Sorry about my short reply. I have to go to bed - ASAP. I'll add more tomorrow)
Great as ever, Grayle big_smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#118 2008-09-08 16:53:39

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thanks, Wolfsong. I agree that this last segment works pretty well, but I still think I should rewrite the initial meeting with the Howlers. It just feels too blah.
  Thank you also, Werer! I'm glad to know that the feeling is there behind the story. It adds stability to the story, in my opinion.
  Thanks much, Punx! I tend to explain things to the audience through the character dialogue, instead of through the narration. I'm not convinced that it's the best way to go, because it's limited to the questions that the character asks. Still, it seemed to work pretty well in this last segment, at least.
  Here's the next bit. We got a TF sequence coming up after this one, yay! We have to get through this segment first, though.

--------------------------------------------

It had been a while since Chris had actually been to Ashley Campground, and the site seemed to be exempt from the relentless passage of time. The spaces had not been improved or modified, the trees offered no recognizable change, and the little building that housed the restrooms displayed paint that had neither faded nor been replaced. With great effort Chris pushed back the flooding memories of his regular lycanthropic treks through the surrounding foliage, in preference of keeping the well-being of his successor foremost in his mind.

Lance directed them to a paved road that took them furthest into the campground and closest to the expanse of the Preserve. He had Weber move the van slowly, so that the idling engine made as little sound as possible. They found two open sites next to each other and Weber parked in the one to the right. Although the dim light from campfires could be seen though the trees behind them, the nearby neighbours had already succumbed to the seductive call of the Sandman. Silently but swiftly the group assisted in transporting Justin further into the wild of the Forest Preserve. Lance insisted in his men supporting their leader, and Chris saw no detriment in submitting to their demand.

After a few minutes of their hike, Chris felt a tug on the back of his shirt. He looked behind and saw Phillip gesturing with his head for Chris to fall behind. Intrigued, Chris began to increase the distance from the Howler and his men, and met up with Phillip and Melissa.

“What’s gong on?” he asked.

“I’d call it a bit of a red alert,” Phillip replied, and then looked at Melissa. “Go ahead; tell him.”

Chris looked at Melissa.

“Remember when I was telling you about the suits coming around the Deli?”

“Yes,” Chris answered slowly.

“The big blond is one of them.”

“What? Are you sure?”

“Yeah; I wasn’t sure until we got out of the van, but then I saw him clearly. He’s definitely one of them.”

Chris glanced at Phillip with a look of surprise, and Philip returned the gaze with a look of concern, as well as a shrug of his shoulders. The return message was clear enough: Phillip wasn’t sure what to do about it. Chris stood as his eyes darted back and forth, his mind trying to process the best course of action.

The blond one, Follanz, was one of the ‘suits’ that had been asking people about the Howler, without revealing a reason for their inquiries. Melissa said that they were unsuccessful, and continued with unscrupulous means to gain information. Not only that, but Lance indicated that Dep:5 had begun trying to capture the Howler and his gang, and their actions coincided with Justin’s mental faltering. It was certainly a possibility that whoever Follanz really worked for was after the Howler. But who, then, did he really work for, and what was their intention?

The mystery also reminded Chris of the tale that Janna told him, about the unknown attackers of the old Colony. There was no way to know if this new development was linked to that event several years ago, but Follanz was probably not as loyal to the Howler as he purported to be. Regardless of the strange goings on, their options were greatly limited by Justin’s current mental state. If Justin was in control of himself and once again reliable in his hybreed form, he and Chris could easily overpower Follanz if they needed to. Once he was subdued, Jake might even be willing to probe his mind for answers to this mystery.

“Alright; you guys do your best to keep clear of him for now, but try not to set him off that you’re avoiding him, if you can. At this point there’s no telling what he’s up to – or what he’s capable of, for that matter. Jake was going to meet us out here, and I’m guessing that he should arrive pretty soon. We should let him know about this first thing when he gets here.”

Phillip nodded in agreement.

“In the meantime, just try to keep your distance for your own safety and I’ll keep an eye on him, okay?”

Both Melissa and Phillip agreed. The three began to shorten their distance from the others up ahead, but not by much.

Lance and Weber were supporting Justin, and Follanz followed closely behind. Chris increased his pace to meet up with them. As he did so, he watched Follanz intently. He took note of how Follanz walked through the forest, and how his head twitched with the slightest sound. He watched the mannerisms and reactions that Follanz had to every sound of the forest, and also how he reacted to every scent as well. When Chris reached his undeniable conclusion, his blood ran cold. It might not be as easy to subdue him as Chris originally thought.   

He cautiously drew within view of the Howlers, and Lance addressed him.

“How much further?”

Chris surveyed the surroundings. They were very close to the clearing he used to life-link when he first met Truug and his pack. “Veer off to the right a bit. There’s a small clearing over there. We’ll use that to get to work.”

Fluidly the gang members began turning to the right, and Chris directed them to the small glade. He had them help Justin to a kneeling position. Chris asked them to watch the perimeter. He gave a reassuring glance at Melissa and Phillip, and then took a kneeling position in front of Justin.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-09 11:24:47)

#119 2008-09-08 22:51:26

punxnotdead

Wow! yikes I definately didn't expect that twist. Now you've got me waiting in eager anticipation as to how this will all unfold. I think I know what Follanz is. I could be wrong, but due to the way you described his reactions to smells and sounds...Just a prediction, though. And If I am right, things will get much more tricky.
I like the pace of your story. It's easy to follow so no one ever has the danger of getting lost.
You keep to the storyline very well, but you also add interesting twists and turns along the way.
Please, please post more. I have to see how this concludes wink

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#120 2008-09-10 01:36:16

SilentStrider

I am new to theses forums and this is my first post.  Yours is the first story that I've read here, and let me tell you it is nothing short of riveting.

I actually found this sight by accident in my search for werewolf and  wolf related topics.  I too am attempting my skill at writing and when ever I find myself in a lull I often do research, read a good book ( and by book I mean nothing less than a trilogy ), or seek out inspiration such as what I have found here at the Werewolf Cafe.

Because I arrived late into the midst of this incredible story that you're weaving I actually had the privelage to begin my reading with part one, then part two (up to this point), and finished up with part three.  It is simply an excellent story.  With only a few adjustments I think the three parts you have can be combined into a complete book.

The personalities that you have given your characters and the way they convey themselves through out the story add such a depth of realism that the reader can attatch themselves to and find qualities that they can identify with.  I'd also like to point out your amazing skill to blend and use words in such fantastic ways that they easily paint a picture in my mind with barely an effort from my imagination.  You have truly constructed an incredible piece of work here, and if I had more time to wite I would post some specific examples of the many things that I have enjoyed in your writing style.

I must say, before I go, that I honestly feel privileged to have read it here first, and I promise that when you do finally get this book published ( because I'm certain that you will ) I'll show my support by buying a copy and recommending it to everyone else I know.

#121 2008-09-10 11:04:13

wolfsongx

Oooo, I have a feeling that it is about to hit the fan.  I can't wait for more!

#122 2008-09-11 01:09:01

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you very much, Punx! Knowing your capabilities at deduction and your grrrreatly appreciated familiarity with this story, I'm confident that your suspicions are correct. However, there may be a twist on the twist. Stay tuned...

SilentStrider, I am honoured completely beyond words. I thank you so much for your compliments and your appreciation, and I also welcome you to The Werewolf Cafe. I am extremely pleased to hear what you think of the character development as well as the level of realism - especially given the setting and the premise.
  Even though I am greatly thankful and flattered by your reading of my stories, I would encourage you to read some of the other works on the site - Niktoma, Werer, Wolfsong and Punxnotdead all have astounding works that show superb imagination and creativity, as well as storytelling and descriptive style - and that's only four names of all the ones that are on here.

Don't worry, Wolfsong, your suspicions are correct. The fan will be hit soon, but not quite yet.

However, here's the next segment. It's a bit longer than normal, though.

---------------------------------------------------------

Almost immediately Justin focused his eyes on Chris, once Chris was in front of him.

“Chris?”

“Yes, Justin; I’m here. It’s okay.”

“Where am I?”

“We’re in the forest. We’re safe here. Justin, do you remember how to shift?”

Justin cocked his head as he tried to process the question, and finally answered. “I change my song.”

“Yes, Justin; that’s right. We need to change our song so that we can become what we really are. Can you do that for me?”

Justin thought about the question, and became agitated. “I-I don’t know.”

“I understand. I can help you get there, and then your body will do the rest. Okay?”

Justin nodded, but his demeanour testified that his apprehension and his trust in Chris were at war with each other.

“Okay. I want you to close your eyes, and listen to my voice.”

Justin did so. As he did, his demeanour intuitively calmed. His nostrils flared, and his head twitched in a barely noticeable fashion with the slightest sound. Chris took this as a good sign that his senses were beginning to instinctively compensate for the temporary loss of vision.

“Justin, I want you to listen to the forest, and smell the scents on the air. I want you to try to locate the directions of each sound and smell, and then try to figure out their sources.”

Justin complied, ever so slightly reacting to the sounds and smells that Chris himself was detecting.

“Okay, Justin. Now I want you to start listening inside of yourself. I want you to listen to your heart beating and the blood going through your veins.”

Chris gave Justin a moment to accomplish the task.

“Okay; now listen deeper inside yourself. Listen for your song. When you find it, it will sound like it’s out of tune. Try to think of what it should sound like.”

Moments later, Justin’s eyes shot open, and so did his mouth. His back began to arch, and he cried out. Chris heard Melissa ask what was happening, and he also heard Phillip explain that she was about to see Justin shift into his hybreed form.

Justin’s face twisted in agony as he bent forward again and collapsed onto his hands and knees. His skin began to darken in shade as the amount of hair on his arms increased exponentially. His back hunched as pops and cracks resounded, little explosions under his skin ran along his spine. Justin’s head twitched to one side and he grimaced, and his teeth now accompanied a set of fangs. His arms and legs began to warp and writhe in form.

With sudden remembrance of a certain aspect of the shift, Chris immediately looked over at Lance. “Quick, give me a knife!” he called as he came near. “Quick! I need a knife!”

Lance looked at him with astonishment.

“Come on!” Chris called. “I gotta make room for the tail! You guys gotta realize that!”

Surprisingly, it was Follanz that supplied a knife first. Without concern, Chris took the knife and ran back over to Justin, who was no longer grimacing with pain. He had hands that now resembled paws. His feet had narrowed and lengthened, his shoes no longer fit them, and his shire was tearing at the seams where the sleeves met the shoulders.

Very carefully Chris approached and then quickly grabbed the back of Justin’s jeans at the waist. With his other hand he cut a small vertical slit in the seat of the jeans, deep enough to also go through his undergarments, and just in time for the protrusion of a tail to begin poking through. Chris released his hold on the jeans and then stood back, supervising the final stages of the shift. Justin’s face elongated into a short muzzle and his ears stretched and lengthened, but they kept a position close to the side of his head. Within moments the change finished, filling out Justin’s body into the form of a hybreed.

Chris once again stood before Justin, who held his head down and was breathing heavily. After a few seconds Justin slowly raised his head and bent it to either side, popping joints in his neck. He opened his hazel eyes and focused them on Chris. They were no longer darting and uncertain, but steady and aware. Even so, Chris was not convinced that Justin was completely back to his normal self.

“Do you know who I am?” he asked.

“Chrrriss,” Justin replied in a rough, husky, strained voice. “Howlerrr.”

Chris smiled. “How’s it howling, little brother?” He asked, remembering the final note that Justin wrote to him before he left Romberg.

Justin began a chuff-like laugh.

“I understand your hybreed name is Jolaar,” Chris said.

Justin nodded in confirmation.

“How do your feel?”

“MBetterrrr, Thaaankkk-” Justin tried to say, and then coughed and hacked, which only made Chris smile wider in sympathy.

“It’s kind of tough to speak American when you’re in hybreed form, huh?”

Justin nodded his head as he coughed a few more times, but then shook his head vigorously as if he just exited a pool of water.

“What’s wrong with him?” Melissa asked as Justin coughed.

Once again, Phillip offered an explanation. “The Hybreed jaw and lip structure doesn’t support human standards of communication very well, so if he tries to speak American, he’ll literally choke on his words.”

“He’ll understand the hybreed language instinctively,” Chris added as he looked over at Melissa, “but new hybreed sometimes can’t tell the difference when someone is talking in our language or in another one. It’s basically because of how our minds process the communication. So, new hybreed will often keep tying to speak in the language that they’re used to speaking, which won’t work. Don’t worry, though; Justin will get to know the difference in time.” Chris looked back at Justin. “But for now, you may want to limit what you’re trying to say to a few easy words now and then, okay?”

Justin accepted the information, and then began to take note of all the others in attendance. His eyes met with Melissa, who was understandably staring at her former manager with complete astonishment. He approached her on all fours, his eyes wide with recognition. His mouth was open, the corners of his lips curved upward, and his tongue was lolling out from above the end of his jaw. He was smiling at her.

Melissa, however, was not as well composed. She grabbed hold of Phillip’s arm and took a step behind him as Justin drew near. Phillip did his best to encourage her.

“It’s alright, Melissa; he’s still Justin. And it looks like he knows who you are again, too.”

When he said this, Melissa looked at Phillip for reassurance. Phillip gave her a quick smile and redirected her to face Justin.

Justin was sitting on his hind end with his head slightly cocked to the left, no doubt trying to look as disarming as possible. His reddish auburn fur, the same colour as his hair when he was human, gave off a dark sheen in the dim surrounding light. Melissa very tentatively took one step after another, slowly approaching him. She reached her hand out to him, and finally her fingers met the soft, dark ginger fur on the back of Justin’s hybreed neck.

#123 2008-09-11 11:25:35

wolfsongx

Very cool.  I love the last bit with Melissa touching Justin.  Very lovely!

#124 2008-09-11 21:08:57

SilentStrider

Once again, another fine addition to your ongoing tale.  I love the detail that you give to the hybreed language throughout the story.  For that matter I love the detail you give to the hybreed... period.   Nice touch with having Jolaar trying to speak American.  Also as mentioned before in previous posts I like the variety in your description of each of your hybreed, so that no two look exactly alike.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2008-09-14 06:34:47)

#125 2008-09-15 15:53:37

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thanks, Wolfsong! I tried to include their past friendship into the mix, but I'm not convinced it was conveyed in the fashion I was aiming for. Either way, it's there.
  Thank you very much, SilentStrider! It's funny you should mention that part about the Hybreed language - I've always been kind of concerned that I wasn't explaining it properly to the audience, and I was hoping that this part would answer a few unanswered questions about it. From your listing, I'm willing to say that maybe I got it right this time. And also thanks for the compliment on the hybreed physical descriptions as well!

And now it's time to reveal the wolf in sheep's clothing...
  --Proverbially!!! In a manner of speaking, I say!
  Whatever. Here's the next bit. Punx, feel free to say that you knew it, because we both know you did..

-----------------------------------------------------

“Justin, I… I don’t know what to say.” She whispered, and then gently laughed through her growing smile. “You’re a werewolf. You became a werewolf, and… and you’re a werewolf!”

As her fingers began to indulge in the sensation of brushing through his fur, Justin’s hazel eyes rolled back and partially closed. He stretched his neck toward her, signifying his approval of the action.

Phillip came near, smiling away as if all of this was completely normal, every-day circumstances. “Just so you know, they prefer the term ‘Hybreed,’” He tenderly informed her.

Melissa nodded as she sniffed back tears and blurted another laugh.

All the while Chris looked on with endearing approval. Two years ago he met Justin in person, and revealed to him his biggest secret. Justin not only accepted that secret, but also volunteered to become a hybreed like Chris. If that was not complimentary enough, he also decided to take up the torch that Chris left to burn out, and rekindled it. Melissa had also accepted his identity, and chose to honor it of her own free will. He could not help but be touched by such loyalty.

But then his mind contrasted the ideas with what he recently discovered about Follanz, and he could not help but be offended by such disloyalty. Not only that, but he also remembered that Follanz was in their presence.

“Well, I guess that means it’s your turn to shift, buddy,” Phillip said as he looked over at Chris.

Chris shook his head. “I can’t afford to shift right now. It’s too dangerous.”

No doubt encouraged by his knowledge of a probable imposter in their midst, the brightness of Phillip’s countenance dimmed with growing concern. Melissa stopped petting Justin and looked at Chris, also with concern. When she ceased her attention toward Justin, Justin looked at her inquisitively to find out why. He then followed her gaze to where Chris was standing, ready to give an explanation. Chris looked down at his feet for a moment and noticed a small dry twig next to his left foot, and then looked up at Melissa and Phillip.

“See, not all of our people can shift form, but for those of us who can, it’s both a blessing and a curse. Shifting can heal most wounds because it replenishes our cellular structure instantly. I had a feeling that whatever was going on with Justin might be healed if I could get him to shift form, and it looks like I was right. But shifting is also a curse, because it leaves us almost completely vulnerable while it’s happening.” And then he looked directly at Follanz, whose stone-like expression was starting to show wear.

“So, what?” Weber asked accusingly. “Are you saying that you think we’re a threat to you now?”

Chris refrained from moving as he answered. “Well, Lance thinks that someone is after the Howler, and that whoever it is got Dep:5 to join their side, too. He also thinks there might be a traitor somewhere in your ranks. Now, I just revealed to all of you that I’m the original Howler. If that traitor is here among us, then he might try to take me down while I’m shifting.”

“If that’s the case, then why didn’t he try to kill Justin?” Melissa asked warily. “Justin’s the Howler now.”

“He didn’t know his cover was blown yet,” Phillip said slowly, obviously coming to the same conclusions as Chris. His gaze slowly migrated from Chris to Follanz.

“Or he might have been waiting for one of my people to show up and try to heal the Howler’s sickness,” Chris said. “Whatever the case, I don’t think he would have revealed himself willingly.”

Justin got up on all fours, took a few steps toward Chris, and motioned his head toward Lance, Weber and Follanz. “Frrienndss,” he grumbled.

Chris sighed, but continued to keep his eyes fixed on one specific member of the Howlers. “I understand, Justin, but not all of them are. Take a look at Follanz; he’s nervous, he’s tense, and he’s sweating.” Ever so slightly Chris put his foot over the dry twig. “And not only that, but watch how he reacts to the Earthlife.”

Chris stepped on the twig and it snapped loudly. Since he was more in tune with what to look for, Chris was able to notice that Follanz instinctively twitched in the direction of the sound. Follanz even moved his ears slightly when he heard the sound. If Chris in his human form could decipher such a dead giveaway, it was certain that Justin in his hybreed form would catch it as well.

Justin raised his head as his eyes widened in shock, but then slowly lowered it as his eyes narrowed in anger. His ears began to pull back, and a deep rumble developed from his throat.

“Follanz has been hiding that he’s also a hybreed,” Chris explained.

The nervousness and tension that Follanz manifested was replaced by anger and contempt, and he sneered. At that point there was the distinct click of metal on metal; Follanz looked to his right, where Weber held a gun pointed at him. Follanz looked upon him with an expression that turned more sour as the seconds passed.

To the left of Follanz was Lance, who looked downward and sighed with great disappointment on his face.

“Follanz,” He said as he drew his weapon out of his holster, “You can never hide it as well as the rest of us, can you?” Lance pointed his weapon at Chris. “You’re pointing your gun the wrong way, Weber.”

Weber quickly looked at Lance for reassurance, and then redirected his weapon to point at Justin. Follanz watched the action, smiled menacingly, then withdrew his own gun and pointed it at Phillip and Melissa, both of whom emulated Justin’s reaction by widening their eyes. Chris merely inclined his head in surprise.

“We could have led them on for a while longer,” Weber said.

“No point,” Lance replied. “Biz sent the message as we were leaving. All we have to do now is wait for the others. Besides, we actually got two Howlers here; we can’t afford to take the chance of losing them.”

Chris silently rebuked himself. So all three gang members were in on it, and apparently so was their friend Biz back at the warehouse. In fact, it was possible that the whole gang was a fraud; after all, why would Dep:5 commend them for taking the homeless off the streets? Something like that would be in the City’s notice, not Dep:5. Putting up with an elusive creature of myth and legend is one thing, but enduring an entire gang trying to fight crime outside of Imperial sanction? As Chris thought of it, that alone should have lifted red flags of warning in his mind. And if Lance and Weber were hybreed too, they certainly knew how to hide it very well; that boasted of practice and experience.

And now they apparently had reinforcements coming, which meant Chris, Phillip, Melissa and Justin had a limited amount of time for any chance of escape. Even so, Chris had to try to find out whatever he could about whoever their captours were.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-15 15:57:33)

Board footer