The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#126 2008-09-15 20:47:38

punxnotdead

Re: From the Files of Department 118 - Part Two (Complete)

Yours is the first story I came to. I couldn't help myself.
This scene was absolutely enthralling. I initially had suspicion of Follanz, but the others?! Now that's a twist I didn't expect - a most delightful one, to say the least. I loved the tension you created through the scene. I'm glad that Chris was smart enough to refrain.
This scene has got me gripping the seat in eager anticipation for more. I can't wait to see what will happen. Knowing the twists and turns you've taken, I have no idea how this will end up  - only know that it will be one hell of a ride.
I can't wait to see the next segment and try to get it up soon so I don't go into cardiac arrest wink

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#127 2008-09-17 03:19:17

wolfsongx

Wow, now that was an unexpected turn of events!  You really threw me for a loop there Grayle.  big_smile

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#128 2008-09-17 20:22:17

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you both very much! The twist worked! Yay!
  For those of you who have read Hybreed: Confrontations, you might recognize Lance's first reply in this next segment. If you do, you might realize who's behind the Howlers as well. If not, then you'll have to wait until the Epilogue of part 3 to figure it out.
  Oh dear; I think I said too much.
  This next bit is a little long, and also a bit of a cop-out. I kinda had to due to the size and current complexity of the story. Still, let me know if you think it works. Oh! Let's also see if you pick up on my original idea near the end of the segment! At least I think it's original...
  That being said, this segment is a little longer than normal. Just so you know.

------------------------------------------------

“Who do you work for?” Chris asked.

Lance shook his head with a smile. “Sorry; that’s need to know, and you don’t qualify.”

“You already mentioned that having both Howlers is valuable to you. Can you at least say what it is you want with us?”

“We want you under control; both of you.”

Chris was not sure why, but something in the way that Lance mentioned control made him think of the things Janna told him about the destruction of the old Colony several years before Chris learned he was a werewolf.

“Is that why you destroyed the old Colony, because you couldn’t control it?”

Lance raised his eyebrows in surprise at Chris’ deduction, but then smugly settled his expression down. “I wouldn’t know; I missed out on that party.”

Chris felt his eyes begin to burn with anger. It wasn’t a group of humans that attacked the colony; it was his own people. It was an unknown, secretive group, but one that was obviously very well organized. Even worse was their blatant disregard for everything that the hybreed held dear. They showed no respect or interest in the Earthlife. They were willing and able to turn on human and hybreed alike, and held an undisclosed agenda to which no one but their own associates were privy. Frantically Chris looked for a way to gain information from them while he had the chance. He decided to test them with a reference to another deviant with whom Chris made a reluctant acquaintance.

“I guess it’s safe to assume that Raaym is one of yours.”

“Raaym? You mean that big brown brute that runs his pack like a tyrant?”

Chris nodded slowly, accepting Lance’s recognition.

“Never heard of him,” Lance said with a smile as he shook his head. His cohorts laughed under their breaths.

Chris’ brow furrowed, and then he sighed. It was obvious that Lance and his men were not going to disclose any information respectfully, let alone directly. There was only one option left to him and the others: escape. They had to find a way to escape. However, they had three hybreed in human form guarding them with readied firearms, with more of their associates on the way. Being the only humans amongst hybreed, Phillip and Melissa were at a terrible disadvantage as well.

“Look, you’ve got me and Justin. Let Phil and Melissa go.”

“And let them tell Dep:118 that we have you?” Lance said sarcastically.

“What would it matter?” Chris argued. “Whoever you guys are working for, you’re a total secret. You don’t really think Dep:118 has the capability to track us down once we leave here, do you?”

Lance paused, as if he was considering the option, but then declined the idea with a shake of his head. “Better safe than sorry.”

“I don’t get it, Lance; why are you guys doing this? What could you possibly gain by keeping us under control?”

Lance took in a breath and inclined his head slightly before he answered: “Freedom.”

His reply was filled with confidence, and even pride, but not the burden or hatred of subjugation. Therefore it was unlikely <THAT> he was talking about freedom from being a hybreed; for the same reason, it was unlikely that his interest was personal freedom. Just about the only option left was freedom for those he represented. But whether that group was only his associates or intended to be hybreed in general Chris could not determine, and they weren’t about to tell him.

So once again Chris’ mind turned to escape, but the odds were extremely slim. What they needed was a distraction, and Chris had no idea how to create one.

As it turned out, he wouldn’t get the chance.

Justin’s ears suddenly perked up, and he raised his head in interest. He looked to the area behind the three Howlers, attempting to fix his attention on some sound that was still out of range for hybreed in human form. The three captours took note; Weber looked over to Lance, who met his eyes, and they both exchanged smug little grins.

Justin lowered his head slightly and started to lean back on his haunches, preparing to spring at his attackers, but it was nowhere near enough of a distraction. Lance redirected his firearm at Justin.

“Down, boy. Don’t make me put you to sleep.”

Chris frowned at the derogatory comments, both being human in nature. He was reminded of how these three, and no doubt their cohorts, rejected hybreed ways and culture, and it nearly made his stomach turn.

“You talk like a Coyote,” he spat at Lance.

Lance looked back at Chris and smiled. “Uh-huh; I was wondering when that would come up. Of course, it won’t phase us; ‘sticks and stones’. Actually, I’m a little surprised you’d even try that.”

The sounds of forest foliage being disturbed by approaching individuals met the ears of all, including the two humans. Lance began to smile wider as he looked at Chris; his eyes twinkled with delightful triumph.

A large ebony shadow quickly emerged from the trees from behind Lance, came up behind him, and slashed diagonally across Lance’s back in what seemed to be one fluid movement. Lance yelled in pain. His muscles tensed, which caused his gun to fire. Chris saw these actions and instinctively ducked as Lance’s weapon fired at him. Even with the instinctive move, the shot barely missed him. At the same time Follanz looked toward Lance to find out the cause of his cry and the gunshot, and that was when he was tackled to the ground from behind. Immediately afterward Weber aimed his gun at whatever attacked Follanz, and yet another dark shadow lunged from the tree line and slashed at Weber’s extended arm. Weber cried out in pain and dropped his weapon before it could be fired.

By that time the first shadowy figure had slashed at Lance in the front and on the sides with deadly precision, attacking his joints and muscles. Weber’s attacker had slashed him across the face and kicked him into the middle of the clearing, where he lay still, but breathing nonetheless. Finally it became clear to Chris that the three Howlers were being attacked by yet more Hybreed, but he did not understand why. Finally he focused on the one that attacked Follanz, and noticed that he had dirty blond fur. He was attacking with brutality while the other two attacked with precision, and none of them were fighting with what could be called a hybreed fighting style.

Chris was rather certain he knew who had arrived to save them. If his suspicions were at all doubted, the blond attacker confirmed them when he finished with Follanz and looked straight at Chris.

“Love that shirt,” he said in the hybreed language, jutting his jaw toward Chris’ borrowed attire. It was Grayle, which meant that the other two attackers were no doubt Truug and Janna.

Chris was somewhat at a loss. “How did-”

“Jake told us,” Truug said as he took a breath.

“How did Jake know?”

“He overheard something at their hideout, and then came to get us,” Grayle answered.

“Truug!” Janna called with alarm, immediately getting Truug’s attention. She looked over at Weber, whom she kicked into the middle of the clearing. “They are shifting!”

Truug and Grayle looked over at the other two and saw the same beginning signs of growing fur and stretching limbs.

Grayle looked down at the Follanz. He then looked at Truug, his eyes wide with astonishment. “They’re hybreed?!”

“No,” Chris said as he took a defensive stance. “They’re not.” He had no doubt that Truug and his pack would understand his meaning.

“What to do?” Janna asked Truug.

Truug looked at her. “We will keep to the plan, but much more quickly.” He looked over to Chris. “Graman, tell Phil and the woman to each climb upon our backs, and you as well.” He looked at the three men on the ground. “We have no time for you to shift.”

Chris complied. “Phil, hop on Grayle’s back. Melissa, climb on the back of the dark brown one over there. We’re getting a ride out of here.”

Melissa was obviously scared, but she did not let that fear consume her. Chris made a mental note to compliment her on that, when he got a chance. Even so, Justin stepped forward toward Melissa. He nudged her and gave her an assuring glance, to further dissipate any reservations she may have. Melissa quickened her steps toward Grayle, who had lowered himself to accommodate her mounting. Chris climbed onto the back of Truug. The three lupine steeds then rose in unison to stand on their hind legs, at the same time bracing the legs of their human loads with their front arms. Finally four hybreed, three burdened and one not, sprinted their way into the darkened forest, taking great care not to let the arms of the trees attack their human passengers.

And somewhere behind them three wounded hybreed continued to heal and shift into their hybreed form.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-25 17:21:14)

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#129 2008-09-17 22:03:26

SilentStrider

Awesome and addictive.  Very cool to see Truug and his pack show up.  I also thought it kinda amusing how they rode out of there, but I'm guessing that they're not out of trouble yet.  I look foward to seeing what happens next.

#130 2008-09-18 01:40:16

wolfsongx

Love it!  Though I wish they they had decapitated Lance and the other two.  Oh well.  smile

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#131 2008-09-18 22:27:25

punxnotdead

Wow, wow, wow! That was a perfect fighting sequence. I could clearly invision the dark shadows flitting through the darkness. It was perfect!!
I was in stunned anticipation of how Chris would escape and I wouldn't have expected such an escape. It was a definate twist.
My hands were clinging onto the chair the whole time tongue
And you've still got me in eager anticipation for more. I loved the descritptions and the images played vividly in my mind. It seems so effortless how you did that scene.
Spectatular!

(I think I found a wee small word error:
Therefore it was unlikely they he was talking about
It's a common mistake, so no worries)
smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#132 2008-09-20 15:13:43

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Gosh Darn Typos! They're like cockroaches!
  Thank you for pointing that out to me, Punx, and thank you for your feedback on the escape. I know I could have expanded it, but I'm getting really close to 150k in word count, so I have to watch how far I take things now. Phooey.

Thanks also for your preference, Wolfsong. In truth, I'm was still playing around with the idea of killing off at least one of the Howlers, but I think it would clash with what's about to happen. Besides, I've already got a thing going here with the sanctity of life or whatever. Anyway, let's see what you think of this next segment and tell me if you think a Howler death might fit in.

Thanks to you also, SilentStrider! I'm very glad to hear that the audience appreciates Truug and his pack. They've developed a lot since the time of Hybreed: Confrontations, so I'm happy to know they've developed well.

Here's the next bit. It feels a little melodramatic to me, so any other thoughts would be appreciated.

----------------------------------------------------------

Their travel was swift, but nowhere near as swift as unburdened hybreed with revenge and anger festering in their hearts. It was less than half a minute before the group heard howling from the three hybreed they left behind. Even with his human ears Chris could determine that their pursuers would overtake them before they made it to Ashley Campground, and he found no alternative in his mind.

However, he did find something else in his mind: a foreign thought. This thought is going to Chris and Phil as well as Truug and his pack, it said. In a few seconds you’ll be at a large dead tree leaning against two standing ones. A mental image of the described trees suddenly appeared in Chris’ mind. Stop there and drop your riders. Don’t tell Melissa or Justin what to expect. Don’t tell them anything. Trust me.

Chris had no idea what was about to happen, but it was plainly clear that Jake had something in mind, and he trusted Jake implicitly. Without a word, he began looking for the fallen tree.

Within the next minute Janna spotted the tree and pointed it out to the rest. The three load-ridden hybreed made for the area with Justin following close behind. When they got to the fallen tree, Chris and Phillip immediately hopped off the backs of their hybreed carriers, and Janna gently lowered to all fours so that Melissa could dismount more easily. Justin once again approached Melissa as she stood up. All of those in hybreed form could hear the disturbance of the trees and brush somewhere behind them in the distance.

“What’s going on?” Melissa asked with fright quivering in her voice.

“We have to stop here,” Chris said.

“Why?” She asked.

As soon as she finished asking, something appeared in thin air right before her and Justin. It was enormous, and as black as an abyss, like a hole of darkness in the night itself. It had large wings that spread out on either side of it, blocking out whatever light was near – that is, all except two crimson lights that looked like they could be eyes. For any who might stumble upon the wraithlike darkness the sight would be terrifying, especially if their ideas of reality and personal security were already in a fragile state, as was the case with the human woman traveling in the company.

Melissa let out a blood-curdling scream that pierced the silence of the night. She tripped and fell backwards to the ground, raising her arms up in front of her to fight off the supernatural apparition. Justin yelped and jumped back, but then reseated into a defensive stance and growled. Within an instant he poised himself for leaping at the apparition, but Truug and Grayle held him back from attacking. The unsettling presence folded its wings and closed its eyes, but Melissa screamed once again.

“It’s all right, Melissa! It’s all right!” Phillip said as he attempted to take her in his arms. She tried to push him off at first, but Phillip’s persistence and continuing words of consolation soon calmed her. She wrapped her arms around Phillip and began to weep into his shoulder, crying out incessantly.

“It’s all right now, Melissa, it’s okay; you’re safe. It’s okay, Melissa…”

Justin was slowly released by Truug and Grayle, but complete bewilderment was shining in his eyes as he stared at the absence of light standing before him.

“Jake?” Chris asked.

The darkness held up its finger as if to command Chris to stay his question for the moment. Then it pointed at Phillip.

“Phil, Jake is trying to get your attention,” Chris said, still uncertain as to what just happened.

“You’d better link with my mind again, Jake,” Phillip announced behind him, “I won’t be able to see your hands.”

Moments passed with the only sound being Melissa as she sobbed into Phillip’s shoulder. Phillip gently stroked her hair as he kept his head inclined, having some unspoken conversation with the Shadow of the Night that was standing nearby. Finally he smiled, took Melissa’s head in his hands and looked directly into her eyes as all the others paid heed.

“Melissa, that frightening thing behind me is Jake. He was once known as the Nightmare of Culmna City. He works with Chris and I at Dep:118. Jake says that he’s terribly sorry for putting you through that scare. He really feels bad about it; I can feel some of his guilt right now. But he wanted me to thank you for him and let you know that you provided him with exactly what he needed to save us.”

Melissa sobbed, and looked at Phillip with curiosity and disbelief. She looked up at the absence of light behind Phillip, but then looked away immediately, and continued to try refocusing her attention on Phillip.

Phillip removed his hands from Melissa’s face and quickly looked back at Jake for a moment. “Are you sure?” he asked.

Jake could barely be seen by any, whether human or hybreed, but Chris was able to make out his shape since he was familiar with it. He saw Jake bow and extended his right hand, moving it in a circular motion, indicating for Phillip to continue. Phillip cocked his head and raised his eyebrows in acquiescence, looked back at Melissa for a moment, and continued.

“Alright, Jake wants me to tell everyone about his ability, so here goes. Jake is telepathic, but he’s more than that. He can affect other people’s fears and nightmares. He can give you a fear or take one away. However, he can also feed off of the energy produced by someone’s inherent fear. It’s like it gives his mental abilities a boost, in a way. He was feeding off of the terror that Melissa and Justin felt at his presence, but it was mostly Melissa. In doing so, it gave him what he needed to instill certain fears into Lance and his cronies, and those fears are now keeping them from finding us.”

“What fears?” Chris asked.

Phillip smirked as he looked back at Melissa directly. “When you screamed and Justin yelped, Lance and the others heard it. They got a little afraid because they didn’t know what would cause you to scream like that. Once he sensed that fear in them, Jake increased it exponentially, turning it into more of a mortal terror. He also gave them an irrational phobia of tracking us down, just for good measure.”

“Dang, Jake!” Chris said. “That’s… that’s pretty original; and a little profound!”

Two arms emerged from inside the darkness, one on either side, and shrugged.

“Jake says that they’re deliberately avoiding our tracks and our scents, even though they’re completely aware of them and where they lead. He wanted to thank you for enough energy to accomplish that. He also said that he just finished curing your Nyctophobia as compensation. I guess that means you won’t have any fear of ‘nyctos’ anymore.”

Melissa looked at Phillip with mild bewilderment, and then tentatively looked up at Jake. She stared at him for a few seconds. She then began to look at different points in the shadows of the darkened forest around them, and ever so slowly a grin began to part her lips. She looked at where Jake stood and her smile blossomed to maturity.

“Thank you,” She whispered.

Jake again bowed.

“What is nyctophobia, anyway?” Phillip asked.

“Daarrrkk,” Justin replied.

“Ahh…” Phillip said with an understanding nod. He then turned to Melissa. “And you got all this way through the forest at night when you were afraid of the dark?”

Melissa shrugged. “I haven't let it take me since I was a kid, but when I saw your friend, I..." Her gaze faded for a moment, but then she regained her attention and smiled. "Besides, I had two werewolves on my side, and you too.”

“Hybreed, Melissa; Hybreed,” Chris corrected her.

“Oh; right, sorry.”

As Chris heard his correction issue from his lips, it triggered the memory of sitting in Dad’s office as he explained his theories. It seemed like a lifetime ago when Dad informed Chris that he was part of a race created with the intention of protecting and maintaining the Earthlife. He found himself very thankful for Dad’s willingness to objectively seek the truth and accept it, whatever it might turn out to be. Chris resolved to follow Dad’s example, and encourage others like Melissa to do the same.

Phillip smiled with a shake of his head as he stood up. He then offered his hand to Melissa, who accepted the help. Philip then turned to the others.

“Well, I guess we’re safe from the Howlers for now, but it’s only a matter of time before their buddies show up.”

“Then we should get moving,” Truug said. “I believe we can make it back to our home without difficulty, but it should be a quickened pace.”

Chris translated the message to Phillip, Jake, and Melissa. After another moment for Melissa to compose herself, they all began their trek. Phillip and Melissa walked behind Truug, following his lead. Grayle and Janna walked along side Chris behind the two humans. Chris also stayed in his human form for the time being. And after they left, the former Nightmare of Culmna City made his way up the fallen tree, using it to launch into the air and melt into the night sky.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-23 19:47:36)

#133 2008-09-22 19:05:10

punxnotdead

That was in no way melodramatic. Not at all!
The scene was magnificent. It was very calculated, especially with Jake's appearance. That was well planned out and most definately realistic. Melissa's reaction wasn't abnormal in any way. I think a normal human would react like that, so I don't feel that you should change it - unless you want to. I like it, anyways.
Comparing Jake to a dark shadow or 'darkness' was very nice. It gives him more of an omnious presence and further reason for Melissa to fear him. Especially those red eyes.
This scene went off without a hitch, in my opinion and it was amongst the best scenes in the story thus far.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#134 2008-09-23 19:43:36

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Wow! It really worked that well? Okay, I refuse to doubt you, but it just feels like her screaming fit is a little over the top to me. However, I defer to my reader's comprehension of the scene. Thank you again very very much, Punx.

Here's the next bit, setting up the scene for another hefty amount of dialogue. I'm still trying to iron this scene out as I go, but I think I got this first part done adequately - you tell me.
  Anyway, here it is.

------------------------------------------------------

The night progressed, and generously bestowed a light breeze to caress the trees and those that traveled among them. The gentle rustle and hiss of the trees gave way to the voices of the travelers as they continued out of the Imperial Forest preserve. As they walked, Chris asked how the pack knew where to find them, and Truug explained that Jake stopped by their house on Cottonwood Lane. Truug, Grayle and Janna had returned to set their affairs in order, because taking care of the tribe would result in an extended leave of absence from the human world. It was quite a point of fortune that Jake found them at all, as they were being quick in their actions. Chris agreed with the fortune, and was extremely thankful that Jake thought of the possibility at all.

Chris informed Truug of what little information he was able to get from Lance; Truug listened intently, but his expression remained hardened. Meanwhile, Grayle ‘accidentally’ nudged Justin’s hind leg into his other hind leg, causing Justin to effectively trip over his own paws. After the fourth time, Justin snapped at Grayle, and then instinctively began to show dominance. Immediately Truug broke away from his discussion with Chris and strictly enforced the ranks. Melissa became concerned with what looked like an attack on Justin, but Chris made sure to explain the importance of rank among their people. It was yet another aspect of being hybreed which Justin was not familiar, let alone Melissa.

Upon reaching the little house on Cottonwood Lane they entered the dwelling under cover of darkness. Once inside Truug, Grayle, and Justin shifted to their human forms, but Janna stayed in her hybreed form. Truug was able to supply Justin with replacements for his tattered clothes, which Justin accepted graciously. The quaint little house was filled with celebration as Grayle brought in drinks from the kitchen, and they all got to know each other as they discussed their escape. Justin took the opportunity to embrace his former employee, who was very happy to see him again, especially now that he was both in human form and in his right mind. Chris was also very pleased to see his sole confidant of Romberg in such a positive state.

Moments later there was a knock on the door. Chris took it upon himself to get the door, and in walked Jake. Both Justin and Melissa were seeing his human illusion, however, since they did not get a clear view of his mutated form in the darkness of the Imperial Forest Preserve. Once introduced to Jake in his human form, it was suggested that Justin and Melissa should see him as he really appeared. Phillip described it to both of them and they agreed to the offer. Jake turned off his illusion and both Justin and Melissa finally saw Jake in all his mutated glory. After the initial shock they both accepted his presence.

Grayle suddenly approached Chris as the rest became better acquainted.

“So what is it with you and Coyotes, anyway?” he asked.

“What?” Chris asked with bemusement.

“Every time we see you, you’re being victimized by some hybreed following the Coyote Way.” He looked over Chris’ back. “You don’t have a bull’s-eye on your back. Is your scent a derivative of Coyote hormones or something? What’s the deal?”

For a moment Chris was not sure if Grayle was being serious until he let a smirk seep out across his lips. Chris smiled in return.

“I really don’t know. I guess I just end up in the wrong places at the wrong time.”

Actually, Graman,” Truug started as he came near, “it would be more accurate to say you’ve been in wrong places at the right time. You’ve not only helped us avoid an infection of the Coyote Way, but you’ve shown us that there are other dangers more hidden and organized than we would ever have imagined.”

“As well as friends we never would have imagined,” Grayle added with a nod toward Jake, Phillip and Melissa.

Truug grunted an agreement. “As to who the Howlers are really working for, I have very strong suspicions, but I will say no more until I can prove I’m right.” Truug’s eyes glanced over to Grayle, who returned the gaze knowingly. “If I am right, then I will contact you or Dep:118. Until then, it’s best if as few people know about it as possible, just in case.”

Chris looked at Truug with a furrowed brow, trying to solve the riddle of what Truug may know. However, his expression did not falter in the slightest, and Chris had to relent to Truug’s unwavering determination.

“Okay...” Chris said slowly.

Truug smiled. “Don’t worry, Graman, I’ll let you know, but it may be a while before I can test my suspicions.”

“How about if I test them for you?” Chris asked, gently applying pressure to the issue.

Truug shook his head. “I appreciate your enthusiasm, but I’m in a much better position to do what’s needed. Not only that, but since the Howlers know what you and Jolaar look like in human form, it would be best if you did not try to sneak into their lair, don’t you think?”

Once again, Chris was broadsided by Truug’s wisdom and consideration. Humbly he nodded, accepting Truug’s point.

“Also, I want you to know how much we appreciate the help you’ve already given us, Graman. You have provided a very great service to me, my pack, my tribe and the new Colony. We are very much indebted to you. I only wish it didn’t cost you so much in the process.”

Truug’s comment caused all in attendance to stop what they were doing or saying and pay him their full attention. Chris was also very curious as to the final statement, and cocked his head with interest.

“What do you mean?” Chris asked, voicing the curiosity of the others present.

Despite his strength of character and wisdom laced throughout his posture, Truug’s eyes fluttered with hesitation. He looked at Grayle, and then at Janna. The returned his gaze to Chris, then looked downward, and then at Justin, and finally turned toward Chris once more before he answered.

“Graman,” Truug said with hesitation, “the Howler must die.”

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-23 19:58:06)

#135 2008-09-24 01:03:05

SilentStrider

The howler must die!?
Surley he means just the symbol and not Justin or Chris, but what a way to end that post!  It made my eyes open wide with "What!?" shouting across my mind.
So, why does the Howler have to die?
Can't wait to read the next segment.

#136 2008-09-25 17:17:27

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

No worries, SilentStrider; you are correct, he's referring to the symbol. However, I needed to end the segment somewhere, and that was a convenient place. As to the 'why', this next segment should answer that question adequately. Therefore, here it is.
------------------------------------------

“Now, wait just a minute!” Justin protested.

“I don’t mean literally, Jolaar,” Truug clarified, “But I’m afraid that you both are going to have to leave the Howler persona behind.”

“Why should we?” Justin asked obstinately.

Chris stood steadily, but he felt his heart sink in his chest. As soon as Truug said it, the reasons for such began to pour into his mind, weighing heavily on his heart.

“Because it’s too dangerous,” Chris explained slowly. “Two years ago I left because the crooks were taking my existence seriously and started carrying silver bullets.” He looked over at Justin. “But now there’s a gang out there that had you incapacitated and under their control, and Dep:5 is looking for the Howler now, too, and we don’t even have a clue what their intentions might be.”

“That doesn’t scare me,” Justin said.

“That’s the point,” Grayle replied. “It should. The fact that it doesn’t shows you don’t know enough about yourself or your people to make proper decisions.”

Truug took a step toward Justin. “Jolaar, what Grayle means to say is that you need to come with us back to our tribe and learn our ways. You need to learn to be a Hybreed instead of a Howler. You must leave the Howler behind, just as Graman did before you. The Howler must once again fade into legend.”

Justin looked over at Chris, his eyes desperately groping for support, but Chris could not bring any to bear. Truug was right; Chris’ attempts at community service and building a legacy to be proud of must once again be sacrificed for the greater good, staying in the past, only succeeding as stories, not sightings. There were more than just crooks after the Howler now; and if Dep:5 was chasing the Howler, then maybe it simply meant that the crime rate was low enough so they didn’t need his help and were trying to ask him to desist. Whatever the case, and as much as he wanted to deny it, the time had come to let the Howler die. Unfortunately, that meant the Howler could not be used in helping to find the Lost Children.

Truug apparently noticed Chris’ concern. “What bothers you, Graman?” He asked.

Chris sighed. “It’s just that I was kind of hoping we could use the Howler to find more of the Lost Children. They could look for the Howler, like Justin did, and then we could take them to the Colony from there. Now it’s not an option.”

“That’s a good point,” Grayle interjected. “At least two from your list made it into the haunted forest looking for the Howler, and they ended up finding the Colony. Now that the Howlers are around, the Lost Children might try to go for them instead.” He looked at Truug. “If we’re going to save any more, we’ll need to get to them first.”

“There’s more to the challenge,” Truug added. “The Howlers are now aware of Graman as well as Jolaar. They know what each of you look like in human form, and will be hunting you both.”

“They’ll probably keep their eyes open for Phil as well,” Grayle added.

“We’ve got other people in Dep:118 that can take up the search,” Phillip said, “No worries there.”

“But that may not be enough, Phil,” Truug replied. “The Howlers will know by now that you both work for Dep:118. They might also keep on the hunt for anyone professing to be from your department.”

Jake signed something for Phillip to translate.

“Good call, Jake! He says we can leave it up to Dad; he thrives on that kind of challenge anyway.”

Jake nodded, added that devious smile of his, and held two thumbs up in response.

“But here’s another question,” Phillip offered. “What about Melissa? I mean, if she spotted Follanz as one of the suits, then he might recognize her too. If she stays here they’ll probably come after her, and I bet they won’t be so friendly this time, either.”

“Then she has a choice,” Truug concluded. “She can come with us, or she can go with you.” He turned to look at Melissa directly. “But she cannot stay in Romberg.”

Melissa looked at Truug with concern and trepidation in her eyes. “W-wait; what about my job, and my apartment? What about my family? My hamster?”

“What would a human want a hamster for?” Grayle asked rhetorically. He immediately received a warning stare from Truug, and conceded his attempt at levity. “Sorry; bad timing.”

Truug sighed, and then continued. “It would be best to abandon your job and your apartment within the next few days, Melissa. Gather your things, but leave behind anything you can live without; and do not under any circumstances go to your job or your apartment alone.”

Jake signed something.

“Jake says that we can help with all that,” Phillip translated, confirmed by a nod from Jake.

“Visiting your family might be possible,” Truug continued, “but having them visit you away from Romberg would be safer.”

“But where am I going to go?” She asked, desperation seeping into her voice.

“You can either come with us, or go with Phil, Jake, and Graman.”

“Wait a minute,” Phillip protested, “I thought humans weren’t allowed in the Haunted Forest. I thought all humans became…” And as Truug looked at Phillip with knowing pale blue eyes, sudden understanding swept across Phillip’s face. “Oh.”     

“What?” Melissa asked.

Phillip shrugged empathetically. “Well, if you go with them, it’s with the understanding that you’ll be turned into a hybreed. If you’d rather stay human for now, you might want to stick with us.”

Melissa looked at Truug with a certain level of accusation burning in her eyes. “I think I’ll stay human for now; thanks anyway.”

“It'd probably be best for your hamster if you did,” Grayle commented, and another glare from Truug caused him to apologize a second time.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-26 14:45:25)

#137 2008-09-25 18:10:45

SilentStrider

I enjoy Grayle as the practical joker no matter what situation he's in.  Haha!  He just can't help himself.  And that hamster comment... *snicker, snicker*

As always, you're doing a superb job with this story, and I'll look forward to your next post.

#138 2008-09-25 22:04:29

punxnotdead

Sorry for the delay, yet again. My computer keeps disconnecting. Anyways, I think you did a fabulous job on these segments.
For the segment before last, I read the last line and I was hooked (Well, I've always been hooked, but you know what I mean). You've done a great job with explanations and not to mention Grayle's jokes. What I love about your story is the complexity of the - how you haven't looked past any minute detail, but added everything the reader needs to know. I deeply envy that ability you have to incorporate such things in your story. Please post more soon and I will keep an eye out for it wink

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#139 2008-09-26 21:04:55

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you both very much! I'm very glad to hear that Grayle's works well - especially since I chose to use his name for my account here on the Cafe. It just seems right to me for some unknown reason. I also appreciate your comment on my thorough detail, Punx. I try my best not to leave any lose ends. I guess it's kinda like a pet peeve or something.
  Speaking of loose ends, there's still one to tie up (at least one, but it's the only one I could find that was blatantly obvious). Therefore, here's the last segment of this chapter to tie up that last loose end.

-------------------------------------------------------

Without warning, Chris felt another pang of guilt invade his thoughts. By involving Melissa in the legacy of the Howler, he had brought about the destruction of her entire life. She was going to lose her job, her friends, her family, and even her home for the sake of her well-being, possibly even her own life. If he had refrained from going back to the deli before all this started, she could have lived out her life happily.         

Once again, Truug apparently picked up on the dismal thoughts coursing through Chris’ mind.

“Graman, whatever you are thinking, stop thinking it. In the short time I’ve known you, repeatedly you’ve shown yourself to be caring and thoughtful, putting others before yourself. You have fierce loyalty, and wish the best for hybreed and human. Now, I can understand how important the legend of the Howler must be to you, and the fact that Jolaar continued your name is a great honour. But hundreds if not thousands will benefit from your actions and your sacrifice. Don’t let your loss consume you.”

Though he accepted Truug’s sympathy, Chris shook his head to the contrary. “I wasn’t thinking of me; I was thinking about what others are losing because of me,” and his dark blue eyes met the big brown eyes of Melissa.

At that point Janna nudged Grayle and whined. Grayle looked up at the others. “My wife has something to add; I’ll translate.”
Janna began a succession of soft grunts and growls, whines and yowls, accompanied by gestures and facial expressions, and even a few discernable words and names. After a few seconds, Grayle began to translate.

“‘You both have lost much and have gained much. Graman lost the Howler, the City, and the chance to live with his people; but he has gained a family, friends, the respect and gratitude of his people. Melissa has lost her home and her workplace, but she has also lost her fear of dark, and has gained friends of human and hybreed. You have both lost much, and gained much.’”

Janna continued for a second, and then looked both Chris and Melissa directly in the eyes, her amber orbs unspokenly scrutinizing them. Grayle looked up at both of them and relayed Janna’s last statement.

“‘Which is more important to you, the loss or the gain?’”

An awkward silence loomed in the living room, giving way only to the muffled sound of the wind chimes from the front porch outside. Chris finally spoke.

“I understand your point, Janna, and I appreciate it. I even agree with it. But still, I’m directly responsible for turning Melissa’s life upside-down. Nobody has the right to do that.”

“Come on, Chris,” Phillip said. “Do you really think Melissa would have taken the risk of identifying herself and identifying you back at the deli if she wasn’t willing to face whatever might happen? I mean, she went into the forest despite her fear of the dark for the sake of Justin, and she also told us about recognizing Follanz. Give her a little credit, will you?”

“Perhaps Melissa would like to speak for herself, Phil,” Truug said as he was looking upon Melissa.

Melissa was paused in thought, her big brown eyes gazing off into the distance. “Well, I didn’t exactly think that things would turn out this way, but she’s right about what I’ve gained.” With mild meekness, she brought her attention to Chris and looked deeply into his dark blue eyes. “And really, what have I lost besides a dead-end job and a generic apartment, in a City that’s never done me any favours anyway? I don’t blame you for any of that.” She smiled, and choked on a laugh. “In fact, if it weren’t for you I’d still be afraid of the dark, and I’d never had met everyone else here, just like she said; so thanks for that.”

Chris replied with an unstable nod, feeling the tears begin to teeter upon his eyelids. His emotions were so unsteady that a verbal response was unlikely at best. He looked about the room at Melissa, Grayle, Janna, Truug, Jake, and Phillip, and felt overwhelming feelings of comradeship, admiration, and affection for all of them. The Empire had its world, and its world would soon be shaken as never before; but for Chris, his world consisted of the people standing in this room with him, as well as those that were not present. His world was founded on family and truth, tolerance and respect.

And come what may; his world would survive longer than any Empire.

The night ended with all taking rest in the little house on Cottonwood Lane. The morning brought emotional leave-taking to many on both sides of the group. Truug bade Chris and his friends farewell, once again using the adage ‘Nose to the Wind,’ and Janna did the same. Further goodbyes and swift vocations ensued. Finally Truug and his pack escorted Justin to their tribe, and Chris and his pack escorted Melissa to Culmna City.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-29 15:08:29)

#140 2008-09-28 01:15:38

punxnotdead

Very nice implications of emotions. I like that you point out that she may be losing everything by who she was following, but in the end it was all worth it to gain companionship. I very much admire that about your writing abilities, Grayle, because alot of stories I read are so emotionally devoid that it seems unrealistic. But not yours. You know how to inlcude these essentiall aspects and make it the great story it is.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#141 2008-09-29 15:27:02

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Why thank you, Punx - I'm always afraid that the emotions I instill might be too sappy or bog down the story, but I agree that they add a valid dimension to the characters, therefore making them easier to believe, if not relate. Thanks again.

Well, we're finished with that chapter. The next one I intend to sum up in one word, so I'll start the next chapter with that word as a heading.

---------------------------------------

Epilogue.

“So a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush, right?”

“Yeah.”

“But you can kill two birds with one stone.”

“Okay.”

“Then that means a bird in the hand is worth as much as stone.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yeah; taking its inevitable demise into account, as well as inflation, the bird would eventually depreciate over time to the value of a stone anyway. Doing it this way balances the books quicker.”

“By equalizing the value of birds and stones?”

“Sure; if the stone can kill two birds, then it would equate to the same value as a bird in the hand. Why? You can interpret that differently?”

“Maybe.”

“Alright; how would you explain it, then?”

“I’d say that you can kill a bird in the hand just as easily as two in the bush if you use a stone. That would keep the value of the bird combinations equal, as well as the effect the stone has on each.”

“I don’t know, that kinda sounds boring.”

“Okay, let me rephrase it: why bother killing a bird in the hand when you can just as easily kill two in the bush with one stone and double your efforts?”

Phillip rocked back in his chair and laughed, then slapped the table in front of him with an open palm. “That would mean the birds in the bush are actually worth more <THAN> the one in the hand, thereby negating the first proverb with application of the second! Brilliant!”

On the opposite side of Phillip from the one which Chris was sitting, Melissa leaned over to Shannon, who had her head wrapped in her arms.

“Are they always like this?” Melissa whispered.

“All the freaking time!” Shannon groaned loudly, her voice thick with exasperation and muffled through her arm wrappings.

“You just have to deal with it,” Rachel replied.

“It might be easier if you tone them out,” Michelle added. “Boys will be boys, so you might as well give them the room to be that way.”

“Oh, why thank you, Michelle!” Phillip said, and turned to Chris. “Hear that buddy, they’ve given us the room!” and he gestured to the entire room.

Chris took the opportunity to look at Michelle. She was dark-haired with dark brown eyes and a rounded face that held Hispanic features. Her smile was wide and endearing, similar to the one that Jeroume often brandished. She was shorter than Shannon, and a little stockier than the petite build of Rachel or Melissa, but her demeanour was both playful and respectful. It was plain to see how Jake could have fallen for her. Even so, he refrained from holding any negative feelings toward her, mostly at Jake’s request. She was friendly and helpful, and she was a good field agent according to everyone that worked in Dep:118. Also, since Jake was not present, there was no reason to thicken the air with discomfort.

“In that case,” Chris replied, “maybe we can show ourselves gentlemen and share it with them.”

“Ah, a good idea,” Phillip agreed, and turned back to the ladies. “You can have that half. This is the line, right here. Don’t cross it.”

“I thought you were gonna be gentlemen, not children,” Rachel argued.

Phillip mimicked a hurt look and scoffed. “Well fine, then! We’ll take it back and keep the whole room for ourselves!”

“Oh, Phil, please?” Melissa asked him, batting big brown puppy-dog eyes at him. “Please can we share the room?”

Phillip inclined his head, giving a show like he was pretending to be thinking the possibility over. “Well, okay, but just this time.”

“Thank you, sweetie.” Melissa gave Phillip a peck on the cheek, and then turned to the other ladies in the room. “See? Honey instead of vinegar; mom was right after all.”

“Hey! We should try that one next! Let’s see… You can attract more flies with honey <THAN> with vinegar…”

Melissa’s smile dimmed as the backfire of her attempt became prevalent.

“Finally!” Shannon called out as she raised her head, sat up, and looked to the door of the conference room.

All other eyes followed her example, just in time to see a blond-haired brown-eyed woman dressed completely in white open the door and walk into the room. She took a seat across from Chris, a few chairs down from where Rachel was sitting.

Last edited by Grayle (2008-09-30 20:48:00)

#142 2008-09-30 19:40:19

punxnotdead

lol lol I loved that. " “All the freaking time!” Shannon groaned loudly,"
You know how to bring humor to the story and it made me laugh pretty hard, believe it or not.
You ended it on a light note and I really enjoy how you portray your characters to have time away from any bad memories or current problems.
Sheesh, I think I might need to add some of your humor to my story. I just need to figure out how. I'm not nearly as witty.
Again, great segment and don't be afraid to post more. I'll be sitting by the computer waiting for it. big_smile

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#143 2008-09-30 20:09:41

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thanks very much, Punx! Remind me some time. I'll email you on what helped me visualize that scene.
  I think you have a lot of potential for writing humor (the laundromat scene comes immediately back to mind, and a chuckle to my breath), but maybe you can tinker with it and play around with it in a short story or two. Heck, that's how I learned. After all, there isn't too much humour in Hybreed: Confrontations.
  Since you're sitting at your computer, here's another installment, just for you.
  But other people can read it as well, if they want.

---------------------------------------------------

“Well, Ray is still on the phone with the Overlord of Dep:5, who it seems is having some communication breakdown in his own department. Ray wanted me to give you all an update in case it takes any longer than it already is.”

“He’s been on the phone with Dep:5 for the last two hours?” Rachel asked.

“No, this is his second call. The first was to the Office of the Empress; that one took a long time because he had a lot to cover, but this one is more about ‘procedural issues’.”

“Also known as evasion,” Shannon translated.

Julie smiled in agreement. “That’s his guess as well. He also wanted me to let you know that Dep:5 can’t stop Dep:118 from investigating the Howler since he is still defined as unexplained phenomena. You may need to use that as a cover when you’re trying to find the Lost Children.”

“So who’s going back?” Chris asked.

“Ray said he wanted Shannon, Michelle, Rachel, Scott and Jeroume on this. Shannon will be in charge. Jake will be on standby, just in case.” After her last comment, Julie darted a glance at Michelle, whose expression momentarily became unreadable with apprehension.

“What?” Phillip gawked. “Five agents? All that leaves here is me and Chris! I’m gonna get all their back work!”

“Well, what about Emily and Gareth?” Chris asked.

“Oh, right; like Gareth is going to be around for more than half an hour! Come on!”

“And Emily is medical; she’s not eligible for field work yet, or helping with the back work,” Shannon said, a vindictive smile across her lips as she looked at Phillip.

“Look,” Julie added for all in attendance, “Ray wants to consider this a very high priority, guys. It’s not just diverting the Lost Children from the Coyote Way anymore; there’s someone or something else out there that’s just waiting for them, like a spider in a web. You all know how Ray feels about the mistreatment of individuals, so you can imagine how important this is to him. If at all possible, Dep:118 has to get there first.”

A pause ensued as the rest in the room calculated the ramifications of Julie’s statements. Phillip was the first to break the silence.

“Well, the list is pretty small, now. I kept the ones that I couldn’t make contact with, but Grayle and I weeded out the ones that already made it to the Haunted Forest, and I took out the ones that I could verify were no longer in Romberg. It shouldn’t take too long for five agents to find the rest of them.”

“What happens when we do find them?” Michelle asked.

“Jake has been able to make arrangements with the Colony out there, with the help of Truug and his pack. They set up a rendezvous point in the haunted forest. All you’ll have to do is get the Lost Children to that point, wait for someone from the Colony to show up, and head on back.”

“How do we get them to the rendezvous?” Rachel asked.

Julie turned to Shannon. “Ray said that the easiest way would be to use your craft to get them there. Would you be okay with that?”

Shannon did not give much of an affirmative answer, but more or less sighed in annoyance. However, Chris knew that coming from her, such a remark could be considered an affirmation.

“Heh – you get to be a delivery boy,” Phillip said to Shannon with a smile.

“Shut up, Phil,” she retorted.

“Hey guys, do you mind?” Chris blurted, getting their attention. “This is serious; the lives of some of my people could be at stake here, for all we know.”

Phillip immediately apologized, and Shannon relented wordlessly.

Chris looked at Shannon, Michelle and Rachel. “I started off as one of the Lost Children myself, so I know what kind of things might be going through their minds. You should know: it’s not going to be easy to convince them that you have their best interests at heart.”

Shannon looked at Julie. “So, should I help them with that?”

Julie thought her question over for a moment, and then nodded. “I think you can handle it; just be very careful, and be very conservative. If Jake’s there, he can give you some pointers if you need any.”

“What do you mean by helping them with that?” Melissa asked.

“I’ll explain later,” Phillip replied. “For now let’s just say that Shannon can be very persuasive at times.”

As he finished his reply, Phillip looked at both Shannon and Julie, awaiting a positive glance from both of them. Over time, Chris had become familiar enough with the internal goings on of Dep:118 to identify a possible telepathic conversation in most cases; this was a perfect example.

#144 2008-09-30 20:18:14

SilentStrider

I agree with you Punx.  The humor Grayle places in this story is very well done, and it's rolled into the characteristics of his characters.  Without even having to say who was doing the speaking in the begining of this epilouge we already knew who was talking.

I like that we're getting to meet Michelle here.  I'm looking forward to how her presence will expand upon Jake and the relationship between the two of them.

#145 2008-09-30 21:20:11

punxnotdead

Great segment. You've continue to keep the family/friend atmosphere everyone has about each other. I know I've said it alot, but I think it adds great character to your story. You have such an original, superb storyline so far and it's unlike anything I've read.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#146 2008-10-02 03:21:15

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you very much, Punx! Getting the family atmosphere right for Dep:118 was a high priority for me, so it's really great to know that it works so well.
  And thanks to Silent Strider as well! Humour has been tough for me to write. Niktoma really helped me with that, so I owe him for any success with humour. I'm also glad that you appreciate getting to know Michelle finally, but unfortunately, the relationship between her and Jake isn't explored any further in this story. I was thinking of that one for a later story, but I'm still not sure.
  Here's some more.

-----------------------------------------------------------

Seconds later the door to the conference room opened and Dad walked in. Chris immediately noticed something different about him. His emerald eyes were not as bright as they usually were; he was frowning, and the invisible smoke of stress and frustration seemed to be billowing up from his shoulders and head. After he entered the room he rubbed his forehead and ran his fingers through his full, dirty blond hair, exhaling air from his lungs that had the scent of frustration emanating from it. He took the empty seat at the head of the table and, as he did, he issued a long sigh and leaned back in the chair.

“I hate politics,” he said rhetorically, looking up at one of the posters on the ceiling. He then righted himself and put both hands on the table. “Okay; has Julie told you the plan?”

Most of those in attendance gave an affirmative answer.

“Thank you for doing that, my love. Well; no one can tell me why nobody in Dep:5 knows anything about what’s going on in Romberg. I don’t want to jump to conclusions, but it doesn’t make me feel very good; it means that anyone going to Romberg should be that much more careful.” Dad took a breath. “It also means that we have to be quick and effective at getting the Lost Children, and not all of us are trained for that.”

“You make it sound more like a covert extraction,” Rachel commented.

Dad looked her square in the eye. “That’s exactly how I’m seeing it, Rachel. We need to get the Lost Children out of Romberg quickly and silently. If they don’t want to go, then that’s their choice, but we have to move fast. The faster we move on this, the less potential for complication or danger. I’d like you all to leave for Romberg tomorrow. The jet will take most of you over there, though I’m sure Shannon would like some company on the trip.”

“I’ll go with Shannon,” Michelle offered.

“You’d better,” Shannon threatened teasingly.

“Good; and just so everyone knows, I’m putting other case studies on hold for now until we’re finished with this.”

“Yes!” Phillip declared with a closed fist in triumph.

“Phil, you and Chris are going to provide support from here. Keep the list up to date by the hour – by the minute, if you can.
I’m going to increase your status level on ALAN to priority three, at least for the time being. Don’t abuse it.”

“You got it,” Phillip replied.

“That reminds me. Chris, talk to Emily when you get the chance. With the help of her contacts in Dep:89, she’s been able to develop an ointment that can counteract low-level silver infection. You can get the details and the ointment from her later on.”

“Wow; really?” Chris exclaimed. “Okay, will do. Thanks!”

“Good. Now, I want you all to understand the importance of this on both sides of the equation. If we get this done right, it’s going to show the Office of the Empress that we’re not a joke. I’ve explained to them the situation we’ve run into with Dep:5, and that got their ears perked. Now, along with that, the Empress herself has apparently shown great interest in stories of the Howler, and also the Gang that uses his name, but she only knows what the general public does due to a lack of information. That means Dep:5 has been playing dumb for them, too. They weren’t paying very much attention to the problem before, but thanks to our inquiries they are now, and they’ve given us a little more clout so that we can get some answers for them.”

“The Empress wants to know about the Howler?” Chris asked, somewhat flattered.

“That’s what they said; and who could blame her? I mean, how can you turn down a crime fighting werewolf, right?” Dad’s smile returned. “I think Dep:118 just showed up on their radar, so to speak. They want us to give them a report on the Howler and on the Howlers too, if we can manage it. Fortunately, we already have plenty of information on the Howler, and a little on the Howlers, so we’ll just shift our intentions in Romberg a little and get the Lost Children out of there instead.”

A wave of murmurs – some of surprise, some of excitement, and some of trepidation – made its way around the table.

“Again, if we do this right, it’s going to give us more influence and notice in the Empire itself, and that can actually end up being a good thing. What’s even better, though, is that if we do this right, it’s going to go a very long way in showing the Hybreed that we can be trusted.”

“Amen to that!” Phillip said.

Dad nodded and pointed at Phillip, acknowledging his comment; Chris noticed that Dad’s enthusiasm was slowly coming back into his essence.

“Now, I’ll be honest; there’s a lot about this circumstance that we don’t know, like who the Howlers are working for. For the time being, we’ll wait for Truug on that issue. Don’t engage the Howlers unless absolutely necessary. We also don’t know what the heck is happening with Dep:5, either, so try to stay out of their hair if you can. That being said, there’s still no reason that we can’t get this done within the week and get out of there, because no one is expecting us to do what we’re about to do. Now, any questions?”

“What about Melissa?” Phillip asked. Again.

Dad shifted his emerald eyes to Melissa. “Well, that one is a little more complex. See, I could approve Chris because he’s a living example of unexplained phenomena; that was easy. In your case, you’re a regular citizen, just like Rachel. It took me months to get Rachel approved, and she was a transfer, not a new hire. What’s more, you don’t yet have qualifications for a position with Dep:118; and from an administrative point of view, that doesn’t help much.”

As Dad took a breath, Phillip unsuccessfully tried to stifle a groan. Melissa was visually showing signs of fighting back her emotions.

“I did apply to the Office of the Empress for more funding, but they haven’t approved it yet. If we give them info on the Howler and Dep:5, that might expedite matters. Still, it would help if Melissa had some experience in research, or field work, or medical. To that end I’ve asked Martha if she could try to find a job for you along the lines of what we could use.” He looked at Melissa directly. “She’s also going to find a place for you to stay.”

“That might actually turn out for the best,” Michelle offered as she turned toward Melissa. “They say Culmna City is only for those that can ‘weather the weather,’ and there’s a reason they say that. It would probably be a good idea to make sure you can withstand this place before you take a job with Dep:118.”

“It sounds harsh, but it’s a good point,” Julie added. “A lot of people that come here and end up feeling extremely lonely and depressed; most of them end up moving away, eventually. There’s no reason for you to go through that if you don’t have to.”

As the others accepted the point made by the Angel of Loneliness, Chris could not help but wonder if that was one of the reasons she was so often in Culmna City as opposed to the rest of the world. With the way she appeared and disappeared in an instant, one moment in a forest outside of Romberg and the next on a library rooftop, there was no reason to believe that Julie was limited to human methods of transportation. So why would she spend so much time in Culmna? Perhaps she was helping lonely people overcome their loneliness? Perhaps that was one of the reasons Dep:118 stayed in Culmna, for Jake’s benefit as well as Julie’s? Chris would have to ask about that possibility at a later time.

#147 2008-10-02 10:06:15

werer
Sniffer
Website

YEAH, I caught up. Love the speel of updates during my abscence. So exciting, I just might re read the thrid book once this is finished.

There's a method to my madness, and a madness to my method.
When you feel your skin startin' to itch, and your senses start to reel, it's werewolf time!
*Sniff sniff* I smell art! big_smile

#148 2008-10-02 19:22:46

punxnotdead

Dad upset? It was such a drastic change in emotions that I was taken aback. I'm not use to seeing Dad perturbed. But I mean this in a good way - a very good way. I felt sympathy (no lie) for Dad's character that he's seems so burdened and overworked and that just reveals how well you've developed his character that you can instill such sympathy in the reader. I liked that scene in particular because it reveals how he also has a harder side to him (not a mean side, if you know what I mean) and his character has been developed so well that I feel pain for his pain.

I also liked the very keen observation of why Julie and Jake perfered to reside in Culmna City, and that Melissa still has options to return to a fairly normal life.
Overall, I am very pleased with the scene and please, please post more whenever you can. My night is free (Besides Smallville @ 6pm big_smile)

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#149 2008-10-03 15:10:14

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Wow! Thank you, Werer! That's an enormous compliment! Thank you very much!
  And thank you as well, Punx! I really appreciate that Dad stands out as so real to the reader. The interesting thing about him is that he has to change a bit because the situation calls for it. I feel that's important for any leader, and so I had to write it into Dad's character.
  However, there's more to come. And here's some of it.

-------------------------------------------------------------

“So,” Dad concluded, “we’ll see if we can work for you, and if you can work for us; it’s just going to take some time. Not a big deal.”

Melissa accepted the information positively, and another smile brightened Dad’s face in response. He clapped his hands together in an attempt to redirect the subject.

“Alright, okay; any other questions?”

“Yeah,” Shannon said. “How can we be sure that the hybreed won’t take my arrivals the wrong way? The hybreed have never seen me.”

“Truug and his pack have worked with Jake on that. They’ve chosen a few hybreed that will be meeting you there to receive the Lost Children. They were given pictures of you and your craft, so they’ll know who and what to expect. Jake will give you mental images of what your hybreed contacts look like once you get down there. Jake also said he can be at the rendezvous with you if you’d prefer, as long as you bring him some food.”

“Do the Hybreed have any recommendations on how we should approach the Lost Children?” Michelle asked.

Dad Shrugged. “Not that they’ve told me. I suppose it will be up to all of you to do your best in convincing them to go with you. Again, if they chose not to, we’ll respect that choice, just like how the hybreed respect the choice of their own kind leaving a pack, regardless of the circumstances.”

“That’s dangerous,” Rachel said. “What if some of the Lost Children turn us down, and then get picked up by the Howlers, or whoever they’re working for? It could lead straight to us.”

Dad’s emerald eyes shifted to Shannon. He looked down at the table and sighed, and then humbly looked again at Shannon. “I don’t want to ask this,” he stated.

“You don’t have to, Dad,” Shannon replied. “I know what’s at stake; we all do. You’re not abusing me or Jake; we did it before, we’ll do it again.”

Dad exhaled slowly with a humble nod. After a moment of pause he looked around the table. “Any other questions, then?”

The pause of silence gave the unanimous answer.

“Alright.” Dad looked at Shannon, Michelle, and Rachel respectively. “I’ll leave you three to get ready to go. Shannon will be in charge. The three of you are the most likely to be familiar with this kind of ‘mission’ thing, but the others won’t be at all. Go easy on them, if they mess up. In all truthfulness, there shouldn’t be that much danger, but I’ll count on you guys to keep it simple. Get in, retrieve as many Lost Children as you can, and then head home. And be careful.”

“Duh,” Rachel said, with the slightest twinkling in her eye that told of teasing.

“Melissa, Martha has agreed to take you in for a few days, so you can go home with her at the end of her shift. In the meantime, feel free to shadow Phil.”

“Thank you, sir.”

Ray smiled. “You can call me Ray if you’d like, Melissa. I’d prefer it.”

“Uh, alright,” Melissa said. The others seemed to hold their breaths, waiting for her to say it. She looked around the room, and finally looked back at Dad. “Ray,” she finished.

Several sighs were released into the room as Dad smiled in her direction.

“Phil, I want you to see if you can dig up anything more on the Howlers, and see if you can use your new priority level to get any records from Dep:5.”

Phillip got a mischievous gleam in his eye. “Yeah,” he said with a rhythmic nod of his head.

After rolling his eyes at Phillip’s remark, Dad turned to Chris. “Chris, I’d like you to stay behind; Julie and I would like to have a word with you.”

“Uh, okay…” Chris said slowly.

“Oooooh, you’re in trouble…” Phillip announced with a melodic tone.

“Nothing of the kind,” Julie said through her smile. “We just want to make sure we’re on the same page as you are.”

Chris shrugged indifferently; it wasn’t like he really thought he was in trouble anyway.

“Last thing,” Dad said to gather everyone’s attention. “This issue is giving us a really big opportunity, guys. If we do this right, Dep:118 may become the bridge between human and hybreed peoples, but we’ll only be as strong as our weakest point. I want us to be strong enough to withstand any onslaught, from either side. As such, I’ll need to ask you all to do your best when it comes to any hybreed cases. If you have a question, if you have a concern, if you’re not sure about something, talk to me as soon as you can. We’ll set up a council meeting if necessary.”

Suddenly Dad made a quick dart of his emerald eyes to Chris, but then continued his glance around the table. Something told Chris that Dad’s last comment was in relation to whatever subject he wanted to discuss privately with him; that only increased his curiosity, and perhaps his trepidation.

“That’s it, everybody; let’s get to work.”

The three ladies destined for Romberg rose in unison and began to file out of the room, each making final comments to either Dad or Julie as they exited. Chris felt a slap on his back as Phillip rose from his seat.

“You know you’re going to have to tell me everything when they’re finished with you, right?”

At a total loss of knowing the appropriate response, Chris looked at Dad for help.

“He’ll tell you all about it later, Phil. Right now, why don’t you show Melissa what you do for a living?”

Phillip straightened his posture and offered his arm to Melissa. “My lady?”

Melissa stood, accepted the offer, and accompanied her escort out of the conference room.

#150 2008-10-03 16:33:52

punxnotdead

lol For some reason, I was laughing aloud at this part:
and finally looked back at Dad. “Ray,” she finished. just the way you described it was hilarious.
As for the scene, I can't wait to see how they'll find all of the Lost Children. I will be here everyday, if not more, looking for an update. I am really anticipating how this will all come to a conclusion.
I also can't wait to see what Dad has to say to Chris. Post more whenever you can. I'll most likely be back on the net in 7 hours (After work)
Can't wait!

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

Board footer