The Werewolf Caf The Werewolf Caf

You are not logged in.

#151 2008-10-07 17:42:48

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: From the Files of Department 118 - Part Two (Complete)

Actually, Punx, I'm very glad to hear that Melissa's reply worked the way it did for you. I wanted it to be both awkward and funny at the same time, and it looks like I hit what I was going for. That's good news. As to the Lost Children, I was planning more about that circumstance in a short story or two on the side. It would be a little complicated to write into this story for 2 reasons.
  One, this story focuses on following Chris, and Chris can't go back to help with the Lost Children due to his exposure.
  Two, I'm nearly at 150k in word count. I can't follow the Lost Children story inside of this one unless I was trying to compete with an epic like War and Peace. I wouldn't stand a chance, so no going there.
  We must therefore take it as said that I'll make a notation somewhere in the beginning of part three which indicates the Lost Children were taken care of appropriately, but I'll probably not write much more than that in this story.

As it stands right now, I have 2 segments left. As such, here's the second to last segment.

-------------------------------------------------

Once the door was again closed, Chris returned his attention to Dad. Each of the tips of Dad’s fingers was pressed against its counterpart; his emerald eyes were in soul-piercing mode, staring at Chris from over his fingers. Julie was also looking at Chris, loving concern reflecting from her brown eyes. It struck Chris as odd that in any similar circumstance he might have felt an awkwardness begin to fill the moment, but this time he felt a warm comfort come upon him that quenched any feelings of unease. His observations only confirmed his recent revelation from Truug’s explanation. Indeed if he could ever call anyone his parents, it would be these two, and without any uncertainty.

“Do you remember what kind of posture I wanted to take toward your people, Chris?”

Chris shrugged. “I don’t know about a posture, but I remember you said that you wanted to be honest and truthful with them.”

“Yes; exactly. The problem is that we now know of at least one group who is not being truthful or honest, or forthright about their intentions for that matter, and very likely a second one, too. And I’m not convinced that Dep:118 will be strong enough to counteract whatever they have in mind. Quite frankly, Chris, that worries me.” Dad took a cleansing breath. “I think it’s in our best interest, and in the interest of your people’s survival, if we put our best foot forward.”

Chris cocked his head in curiosity.

“When I was on the phone with the Office of the Empress, I asked for a meeting with the Imperial Council. It won’t happen for another month or two at least, but I want you to know my intention. Chris, it’s my intention to explain the hybreed existence to The Office of the Empress directly, and to the Empress herself, as well as whatever representatives of Imperial Departments may show up.”

Though he was not educated on the workings of Imperial politics, the sudden pounding of the heartbeat in his chest informed Chris that this was a very drastic decision, filled with many types of peril. However, the increase of Dad’s gaze upon Chris made his heart pound even louder.

“I know this is a lot to ask, believe me, but I’m going to ask it anyway. I’d like you to shift into your hybreed form at that council meeting, in front of everyone in attendance, provided you’re comfortable with the precautionary measures.”

Chris said nothing, but his breathing became erratic, and he changed position in his chair several times in only a few seconds. He tried to start a comment in reply several times, but not even a syllable made it past his lips. As his disbelief finally abated, Julie continued.

“We know it’s heavy, Chris, and you can say no if you need to, but Ray wouldn’t ask if he didn’t think it was the right thing to do.”

With her comment, Chris focused on Julie for a moment, remembering full well what she was and who she represented. “What do the Brevish think about this?”

“It’s not our choice; at this point we’re not much more than observers. But even from the sidelines, the major consensus is that it’s time. It’s time to test the waters at least and see how your people will be received.”

“Well… can’t we… start a little smaller?”

Dad smiled sympathetically before he added another point of reasoning. “Since the Empress has shown interest in the Howler, the seed is already planted. Now we just have to water it and watch out for weeds.”

“Dad, this is…” at a loss for words, Chris laughed under his breath in disbelief. “You realize what you’re asking me, right?”

“I keep trying to look at it from all the angles I can, but I think so,” Dad said as he nodded.

“The word ‘ambassador’ has crossed our minds too, kiddo,” Julie replied. “But don’t worry; it’s not an official position, just a metaphor.”

Chris nodded apprehensively, trying to take in what Dad was asking. He was asking Chris to shift into a hybreed, a werewolf, in front of the most powerful and influential people in the Empire. He was asking Chris to expose his people, elusive creatures of myth and legend, to the eyes of the Empire in one swift, undeniable stroke. The possible ramifications of this action alone were enough to make his head swim; it was a decision that Chris did not think he could make lightly, or immediately.

“But I got some time to think about it, right?”

Both Dad and Julie confirmed his statement with sympathetic nods.

Chris raised his eyes in acquiescence. “Okay, so, anything else?”

“Well,” Dad cautiously started after a pause, “we both read your report in full. First off, about the report itself: it was a great first attempt, Chris, especially since you’ve never written a report for an Imperial department before. However, your technique was a little choppy, and kind of irregular. It sounded like you were holding a few things back, and that can be a death sentence when writing an official report. I’m sure that you have good reason for not divulging everything, so don’t get me wrong there, but I’d like you to spend some time with Shannon when she gets back. She can show you how to write the report and word things in a way that puts a spin on it, in case of Imperial Review.”

Chris nodded his head slowly. He was definitely holding back information, and he had good reason. However, Dad was not faulting him for that, but was indicating that there was a way to write reports so that it did not look like any information was withheld. It was clear that his secrets would still be safe with them, whether he divulged them or not. The lack of pressing the issue made Chris respect Dad all the more, and yet the duality of withholding information from the Empire made him snicker under his breath, for some reason.

“I know I still got a lot to learn, but I’ll learn it.”

“Good to hear, Chris, thanks.”

“So, what’s next?”

Dad looked at Julie, and Julie took the handoff. “We wanted you to know that we’re both really sorry you had to give up the reputation of the Howler a second time; that must have been really difficult.”

Chris slowly crossed his arms on the table and nodded. “Thank you for the sentiment; honestly, it doesn’t bother me that much. I think it was for the best.”

“That may be,” Julie accepted, “but it can’t be easy to give up on something you feel so strong about. We’re also very concerned that your people rejected your request to join them.”

Chris looked up and smiled. “Ah, well, you don’t have to be. There’s a ‘pro’ to said ‘con’ that isn’t in the report. It’s some of the information I was holding back, actually, but I don't want to hold it back from you guys.”

Both Dad and Julie looked at him with increased interest, so Chris continued.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#152 2008-10-07 20:07:09

punxnotdead

Wow! Excellent segment, escially describing their postures and Chris' uneasieness. It went off without a hitch! yikes Going to tell the Imperial Empress. Now that's making my heart race already. I can't wait to see the reaction if Chris does, in fact, decide to reveal himself.
Awesome suquence for building the tension and I'm excited to know what will happen with Chris and the Imperial Departments!

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#153 2008-10-07 20:57:56

SilentStrider

I got up to the end of the second to last post, and for a moment there I felt like I was watching an episode of Heroes... the suspense is killing me.  LOL. 

I love reading the dialouge you create for your characters.  It always flows so well and the things they say aren't forced for the sake of the story.  After reading this I went back to chapter three to remind myself how that part started.  I thougth to use that to clue me on what Chris would mention next.

Great, great story, Grayle!  I look foward to reading the final post to this chapter and to helping you with the proofreading.

Hehe, so when is the next story getting posted?

#154 2008-10-08 14:27:38

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Thank you both, very much. If it weren't for the persistent encouragement of SilentStrider, Werer, Wolfsong, several others, and Punx - especially Punx, who has read portions of all parts of this story more than once over, and consistently gave me feedback in replies and emails - If it weren't for all of you, I know I never would have gotten this far. I sincerely thank you all for your input, your encouragement, and your astounding interest in this story.

Just so you know, I have the Council meeting planned as the short story to be in-between part 2 and part 3, and it's told in the first person from Jeroume's perspective, possibly as an entry from his journal or memoirs. Once I make a few calls, I might start on that short story, but it may be a while. I also have plans for a short story that focuses on Chris and Gwen's wedding, but that's a whoooole lot of situations and logistics to figure out on that one. That short story would of course go after part 3. I've decided to focus on the main 3 parts, and save the short stories for a second printing or special edition - if for no other reason than the word count.
  However, it also depends on what kinds of things whatever Agent I find can negotiate...

Okay, this is it; the final segment. It's a little sappy, and perhaps a little short. Any reviews or critiques, questions or suggestions are more than welcome after this post. I thank you all for your kindness and support, as well as your feedback. I'll continue to read your stories and work on my own, so this is not the total end; it's just the end of part 2. Enjoy.

-------------------------------------------

Both Dad and Julie looked at him with increased interest, so Chris continued. 

“Truug reminded me of what it meant to be a hybreed, and he said if we do those things in a human pack, then it doesn’t make us any less hybreed.” He looked back at Dad and Julie as he tapped his finger on the table. “This is my pack. This is my family. Truug said that if I leave this family only to join a pack of my own kind, then I would truly be a Coyote. And you know what? He’s totally right. This is where I can belong. All of you have accepted me from the first time I walked into Dep:118, regardless of who or what I am. It’s about time that I start accepting all of you back.”

Chris looked into Dad’s emerald eyes, but could barely make them out through the distortion caused by the tears building up in front of them. Of course, the effect was only amplified by the tears building up in front of Chris’ own eyes. As he looked at Julie, he saw a similar distortion.

“I’m glad to call you my Mom and Dad,” he said, and turned to Dad, “my Alphas.”

The silence was broken by a sniff from Julie, and Chris had no need to guess as to the cause. He watched as her right hand slowly reached over and clasped Dad’s left hand in love and sympathy. Dad reached up with his free right hand and wiped the tears from his emerald eyes, smiling and choking on a laugh under his breath.

“I, uh… now I really feel bad about asking on that council meeting,” He said, and laughed again.

“Don’t worry about it, Dad,” Chris assured him. “Actually, I think you’re right. I think it’s something we should really think about doing. It scares me, but if we can come up with something that I feel safe with, then maybe we should go ahead and do it. Just give me some time to think about it. Besides, I’ll probably end up doing it anyway, just to follow the lead of my Alpha. It’s part of my nature, you know.”

Dad smiled and hung his head at the comment, chuckling under his breath.

Chris took a breath. “Well then, I guess I should go see about helping Phil.”

“Oh, wait,” Dad said in a strained voice. “There’s one more thing, and it might come in handy if you decide to go through with the council thing.”

“What is it?”

“Hold on; give me a second here.” Dad looked up at the ceiling and took a deep breath or two as he composed himself. Then he looked again at Chris. “Okay, alright; whether we go through with the council meeting or not, I caught a possible ‘fault point’ that needs to be addressed. Even though you’re hybreed, and Gareth is in near-constant contact with your people, you two are the only ones out of all of us that can communicate with your people fluently.”

Chris inclined his head in understanding, but allowed Dad to continue.

“I’d like you and Gareth to try teaching some of us how to communicate in the hybreed language. Since almost everyone else is going to be in Romberg for a while, we could start with teaching me and Phillip, and the others can learn bit by bit later on.”

“That could be tough,” Chris said. “It’s really complicated, and a lot of it deals with instinct and what’s happening at the moment.”

“Yeah; I kinda guessed that from what Gareth has told us.”

“If you can keep your mind focused on base sounds and gestures,” Julie added, “then I can use that as a mental template and plug it into the minds of Ray and Phillip. That way we could take turns and focus on clarifying protocols and syntax – you know, the fine points.”

After only a second’s thought, realizing that of course Julie would already know how to communicate in his people’s language, Chris nodded. “Sounds like a plan; when did you want to start?”

Dad shrugged. “I figured after everyone leaves tomorrow. We’d have a few hours before they arrive in Romberg. It would be a good time to get the telepathic stuff taken care of,” and Dad looked at Julie as he finished, and Julie nodded in agreement.

“So is there anything else?” Chris asked.

Dad smiled and shook his head. “Oh, I think we’ve covered enough ground for now; we can discuss anything more tomorrow.”

“I’m glad to hear you say that,” Chris said with a laugh, “I’m famished.”

“Anything in particular sound good?” Julie asked.

Chris looked at Julie, and then looked directly at Dad with knowing intensity. “Yeah; I happen to be in the mood for pizza.”

“What?” Dad said, instantly perking up. “Really?”

“Yeah.”

Dad threw his arms up in a disarming fashion. “Say no more; I’ll take care of it.”

“Thanks,” Chris replied, and a solemn expression dimmed his smile as he looked back at Dad and Julie, the Alpha pair of his pack. “Thank you both; for everything.”

Julie cocked her head and smiled at Chris.

“What kind of parents would we be otherwise?”

And so Chris stood and walked from the conference room with a new confidence in his step and posture; the confidence of a man who had finally found where he belonged. He walked with pride and joy, eager and willing to join his pack, his family, in making a stand for his people. Soon the Lost Children would be saved, and then the Empire would officially know of his people’s existence. At that point it would be only a matter of time before humanity as a whole would know the name Hybreed, and perhaps the Empire would direct them in respecting the Call of the Hybreed as well.

Once again the path ahead looked to be full of hope and possibilities, and Chris found himself more prepared than ever to meet those possibilities, knowing that his pack would be right there with him as he continued down his chosen path, side by side with his people, the Hybreed.     

- - End of Part Two.

--First Draft finished October 1st, 2008, by Layson A. Williams

#155 2008-10-08 18:30:48

punxnotdead

*Sniffles* Great *Sniffles* Segment, Grayle! Just so great! The emotion was beautifuly described and I love to see Dad tear up lol
I loved the ending, great last sentence, too. Such a way to end and I'm so glad I've been here every step of the way, otherwise I would have been missing out on the best story ever (no lie)
So does this mean it's all ended? sad All over? :'(
Well, you have to promise me one thing, I get a hardcover copy of the book, okay? wink

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#156 2008-10-08 22:27:45

SilentStrider

And so we have reached the end of the begining, at least that's what it feels like.  I absolutely loved the entire thing!  It was great!  Of course I can't wait to read more of your stories based off of this world and the hybreed.  I even have to admit I'd love to read the story you hinted at about Chris' and Gwen's wedding.  I can only imagine how that might go.  Hmmm... what kind of cerimonies or rituals would the hybreed have for such a union? 

I will be looking forward to reading more of your stories, but until then I wish you the best of luck with getting this one to print.  I'll do what I can to support you in this endeavor.  Who knows, I might learn a thing or two from it too.

#157 2008-10-10 14:53:37

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

In answer to your question, Punx, It's not over.
  I have plans for at least 2 short stories in direct relation to this Dep:118 story, as well as another one from Gareth's perspective; and there's also Rachel Blackwood's adventures in the city of Chemlok (I think you have the start of that story already, Punx; it's called 'Lords of Orwin'). That's just the plans I have in waiting. Keep in mind that I ended part 3 with some big questions that were left unanswered, one of which is the exposure of the Hybreed to the human populace as a whole, as well as whatever Emmerson Crayne may be up to (See epilogue of part 3 and also Hybreed: Confrontations for more on Lord Crayne). As a result, there's plenty of room for a sequel if this story takes off in the public's demand.

Right now I'm focusing on proofreading and story conflicts; there's several things that I need to change in part 3 to make it coincide properly with parts 1 and 2. Given another couple of weeks or so, I'll be ready for proofreaders. I already got responses from Punx and SilentStrider, but if anyone else is interested, feel free to send me an email.

Here's a thought: Has anyone noticed any of the drastic changes I need to make in Part 3 when taking into consideration what took place here in Part 2?

#158 2008-10-18 00:52:29

punxnotdead

Sorry for my delay in reply. I didn't realize you had responded.
Wow, you made your story a nicely intricate sturcture of woven threads that tie nicely together, or could make room for a sequal. Quite honestly, I think that's brilliant!

And I'm honored to be able to read your story once again smile
When you want me to change the title of your story and add complete onto it, just let me know so wink

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#159 2011-08-13 19:45:01

Oldwolf81

Will there be another part of this series?

the texas octogenerian
wolf favorite animal

#160 2011-08-13 20:48:27

Oldwolf81

I belatedly found you said that more exists.
But...not on werewolfcafe.

the texas octogenerian
wolf favorite animal

#161 2012-03-12 21:18:51

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Want me to post the revised edition of Part 3?

#162 2012-03-14 00:09:19

SilentStrider

I can't believe it....

Your back!!!

I saw a new post on your thread and at first I held hopes it was you.  The I figured it was more likely a new person to the cafe posting their appreciation of your story, or an older resident asking if you'll ever be back.  Then I slid my screen to the left and what do I see... a post in Grayle's name!

I was elated. stunned, and at a loss for words.  I can't even begin to express my happiness at seeing your return to these forums.  I think I can speak for everyone in saying your presence has been sorely missed. 

I hope all is well with you and your family.  I look forward to hearing more from you.  I'm fairly certain this is an unnecessary question, but do you mind if I shoot you an email and play catch up?

To answer your question, yes, I'd very much love to read anything else you are willing to share.

Welcome back friend!

#163 2012-03-15 14:27:28

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Feel free to shoot me an email, Strider. Just keep it on the QT - don't know who out there might be watching...

Revised Part 3 coming soon, as well as possible other things and stuff.

Board footer