The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-06-21 19:30:40

SilentHope

Further books of study regarding shapeshifting?

Don't know if this is the appropriate forum (Newbie here-Sorry!) But can anyone here recommend further informative reading on shapeshifting (astral, mental, etc, etc). I have in my possesion Rosalyn Green's the magick of shapeshifting, which I thoroughly enjoyed though she did get a little repetitive. Im kinda looking for something along simular lines but possibly with more information or different views etc.
Thanks for your time and input!

#2 2008-06-21 23:35:53

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

Re: Further books of study regarding shapeshifting?

The Werewolf Book:the encyclopedia of shapeshifting beings,by brad steiger

"Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend."
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=152377

#3 2008-06-22 01:37:40

WolfVanZandt
Website

Most Werewolves I know adhor the Green book. it's granola.

Fact is, there isn't a lot of good, responsible material out on Werewolves because the literature either consists of historical accounts of people who were not Werewolves at all (the later Middle Ages saw a lot of poor, mentally deranged people who thought that they were Werewolves) or New Age fluffiness. Steiger's book was of the former cast - Green's the later.

The best popularist book I've found is Adam Douglas' The Beast Within. On the other hand, if you really want to study the topic, find yourself a research library and read everything you can get your hands on. For instance, there's a book called "From Scythia to Camelot" that never once mentions Werewolves but is full of information about them. Then there are scholarly offerings such as Harry Senn's "Werewolves and Vampires in Romania".

As for how-to manuals, I don't know of any I'd recommend. Perhaps your best bet, since you want a variety of viewpoints, would be The Werelist.

#4 2008-06-22 09:29:12

SilentHope

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Most Werewolves I know adhor the Green book. it's granola.

Fact is, there isn't a lot of good, responsible material out on Werewolves because the literature either consists of historical accounts of people who were not Werewolves at all (the later Middle Ages saw a lot of poor, mentally deranged people who thought that they were Werewolves) or New Age fluffiness. Steiger's book was of the former cast - Green's the later.

The best popularist book I've found is Adam Douglas' The Beast Within. On the other hand, if you really want to study the topic, find yourself a research library and read everything you can get your hands on. For instance, there's a book called "From Scythia to Camelot" that never once mentions Werewolves but is full of information about them. Then there are scholarly offerings such as Harry Senn's "Werewolves and Vampires in Romania".

As for how-to manuals, I don't know of any I'd recommend. Perhaps your best bet, since you want a variety of viewpoints, would be The Werelist.

I don't think I nessarily want "how to" books but I was able to get where she got her information from in the notes at the bottom of each page-which gives me starting points for further research and I will have to admit I have an interest in shamanism. I've not really had a chance to really "sniff out" such books so to say. I will look into others you have listed. I just would like to have well-rounded research on both shapeshifting and shamanism.

Thanks for your time and input once again. If you have further comments please feel free to post or contact me off board.

Last edited by SilentHope (2008-06-22 09:29:46)

#5 2008-06-22 14:06:46

WolfVanZandt
Website

Mircea Eliade is the premiere researcher on shamanism. My favorite is Roger Walsh - anything by them is good.

Shapeshifting by John  Perkins is a very good resource.

I am quite aware that the Carlos Castenada series was fiction but he really hit deep into the heart of shamanism and I can't, honestly think of a better literary introduction.

And there is an Idiot's Guide to Shamanism which is actually very good.

If you want more this web site has some good resources --

http://www.shamanlinks.net

But be warned. You cannot learn shamanism from a book and you're not going to learn much about what really matters in Therianthropy from reading materials - either by book or on the Internet.

#6 2008-06-22 17:44:47

punxnotdead

Looks like it might belong in werewolf books and comics, but that's alright smile I know how you feel being new and trying to find your way around.
Anyways, I'd suggest looking on google and type in 'amazon.com', where it shows thousands of different books. You can search a type of book as well.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#7 2008-06-22 19:52:55

SilentHope

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Mircea Eliade is the premiere researcher on shamanism. My favorite is Roger Walsh - anything by them is good.

Shapeshifting by John  Perkins is a very good resource.

I am quite aware that the Carlos Castenada series was fiction but he really hit deep into the heart of shamanism and I can't, honestly think of a better literary introduction.

And there is an Idiot's Guide to Shamanism which is actually very good.

If you want more this web site has some good resources --

http://www.shamanlinks.net

But be warned. You cannot learn shamanism from a book and you're not going to learn much about what really matters in Therianthropy from reading materials - either by book or on the Internet.

Again thanks. I actually have been dealing with Therianthropy for at least a good 20 years. I know who and what I am on the inside-so don't worry about me there LOL. Just trying to understand the method behind the madness if that makes any sense?? I am not a practitioner of shamanism but feel I am more or less without religion and I am trying to decide if that path might be right for myself. Forgive me as I really haven't said much about myself-I am new to the online communities is all. I am the type that likes to think before I leap into stuff and I figured a community like this one there would be others who have been there and done that and could point me in the right direction.

#8 2008-06-22 21:16:49

WolfVanZandt
Website

Well, shamanism isn't a religion. I'm a shaman but I'm also a very devout and orthodox Christian. Actually, if you read the descriptions of events in the lives of Jewish and Christian mystics like Ezekiel, Isaiah, St. Theresa, St. John of the Cross, and such, you'll see that there's very little difference in their journeying and that of people that are usually called "shamans". Certainly there are also Buddhist shamanism (Tantric Buddhist has a lot of the indigenous Tibetan shamanism (Bon) mixed with Theravada Buddhism). In fact, most of the major religions have denominations that contain easily discernible shamanic elements.

Shamanism isn't a religion but is a practice - a profession. It's a system of techniques for navigating Dreamtime (or the spirit realm or the astral realm or whatever you call shamanic space).

#9 2008-06-22 21:53:39

SilentHope

I apologize I am not the best with my choice of words-forgive me. I do actually understand what it is. I have studied a bit about Native American Practices. I am just trying to find out if it is right for me. I am superb at putting my foot in my mouth in case you haven't noticed which why I usually lurk instead of post. Thanks for all your help on the subject.

#10 2008-06-23 01:09:22

WolfVanZandt
Website

If you're a Therian, then it's right for you. Yer a natural.

#11 2009-06-14 03:10:22

crazy97

Its so hard to  find new info on werewolves I'm not a werewolf but really wish I knew as much about lyncropthy as they do!All the infos hard to find!

My quote-
"Nature should not have to work around us, but us around Nature"

#12 2013-01-19 20:50:53

Skav<n

In his book, Brad Steiger used 'werewolf' like a synonym of serial killer because we all have that 'beast inside' (I just read it).  He also emphasized the likely insanity of those who believed they were lycanthropes & praised the few early & BRAVE medical people who called it a disease.  'Course he didn't call it ALL a delusion, either wink .

#13 2013-01-20 00:33:57

WolfVanZandt
Website

Steiger is a writer, not a scholar. He, like many authors in the field went for sensationalism. Therefore, he pretty much ignored Medieval lycanthropy, either because he didn't study the subject enough to know anything about it, or because it didn't make werewolves look horrific and sensationalistic.

That's pretty much what we can expect from hack writers.

#14 2013-01-24 10:00:24

WolfMontana

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Well, shamanism isn't a religion. I'm a shaman but I'm also a very devout and orthodox Christian. Actually, if you read the descriptions of events in the lives of Jewish and Christian mystics like Ezekiel, Isaiah, St. Theresa, St. John of the Cross, and such, you'll see that there's very little difference in their journeying and that of people that are usually called "shamans". Certainly there are also Buddhist shamanism (Tantric Buddhist has a lot of the indigenous Tibetan shamanism (Bon) mixed with Theravada Buddhism). In fact, most of the major religions have denominations that contain easily discernible shamanic elements.

Shamanism isn't a religion but is a practice - a profession. It's a system of techniques for navigating Dreamtime (or the spirit realm or the astral realm or whatever you call shamanic space).

Where da like button at... very good post! big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

Board footer