The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-07-13 18:24:47

milana
Website

Admitting you are a Therian

I've noticed quite a few people on here feel free to admitting their Therian or Otherkin nature. Heck, I did myself in my introductory post. But I'm curious as to how many of us are open about it outside of the internet?

I've met a few people who were otherkin or therian in my life and they've all had different approaches. The first otherkin I ever met was a vampire in high school, he told me he was one and the only reason I believed him was because of the strange vibe that existed between us. He was very cautious around me and I had a natural instinct to observe, but keep my distance.

My best friend waited nearly six months to tell me about her and her twin brother being otherkin.

I've actually only told two people outside of the internet that I'm a werewolf, a friend and a stranger at the bookstore. My best friend said she knew before I could admit it to myself, so I had no need to tell her. The stranger had told me he was a werewolf within a few minutes of meeting him and then starting spouting all of this lore that I couldn't identify, despite having done tons of research on werewolf folklore for a research paper in college. I admitted to being a werewolf to him simply because I wanted to keep him talking, because it's nice to hear the latest historical fabrications and I wanted to look some of it up later and pull fact from fiction.

What experiences have you had with telling others?

There's nothing that can't be cured by chocolate. Unless you're craving calamari.

My Triond.

#2 2008-07-13 20:10:44

milana
Website

Re: Admitting you are a Therian

I could not imagine telling my parents, especially my step-dad. Oh dear Hecate, that would be a BAD idea.

Right now I'm kind of stuck in this point where I'm really proud of who I am and I kind of want to shout it from the roof tops, other people be damned. I'm not going to and thankfully in real life I'm too "shy" (okay, not shy, just quiet. I don't talk. most people aren't worth my consideration, to be honest) to go spouting it all around town. But still.

I do have a bumper sticker that says Lycanthropy on it! tongue

There's nothing that can't be cured by chocolate. Unless you're craving calamari.

My Triond.

#3 2008-07-13 21:13:56

wolfsongx

I've mentioned it to some close friends, some are open and receptive, a few have been less so.  But it's ok, they don't look at me any stranger than before.  big_smile

A harmonic sound such as a vibrating string is one in where the harmonics are mathematically related by what is called the harmonic series.
I wanna win your heart and take you to another place you never thought or could dream of.  -- The Halo Friendlies

#4 2008-07-13 22:40:07

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

For me? Nobody knows.. to them, they'd think I was trying to pull a prank.. or that I was just a crazy piece of sh*t. Haha, kind of funny.

I do have a reputation for pranks though.....

<3

#5 2008-07-13 22:57:32

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

i don't admit it to anyone outside the internet...save for a few very very close friends.

"Greater love hath no man than to lay down his life for a friend."
http://s1.bitefight.org/c.php?uid=152377

#6 2008-07-13 23:30:08

Greaver
Website

I tell close open minded friend.

#7 2008-07-14 00:05:06

WolfVanZandt
Website

I'm pretty open about it but I can afford to be - I'm respected in my community already (before I became open). Others aren't so lucky and can't afford to let their jobs, family, etc. know. So, most Therians offline are pretty careful about it.

#8 2008-07-14 00:07:12

Greaver
Website

like i said, close & open minded friends

#9 2008-07-14 14:09:29

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

i agree,only 2 of my friends know about it.

#10 2008-07-14 15:08:18

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

I don't try to hide it in general, but I don't go around saying it so much, and there are people I don't tell.
EDIT: heh, 111 posts... when did I get to 100?

Last edited by SherlawkDragon (2008-07-14 15:08:55)

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#11 2008-07-14 19:01:22

Rahela_Pricolici
Website

I have two, visible, tattoos that blatantly say what I am. Well, that is to say, if someone is in the know they would obviously understand.

"Speak to me now and the world will crumble. Open a door and the moon will fall. All of your life, all your memories. Go to your dreams, forget it all"
Fighting, Biting, and Rock n' Roll.

#12 2008-07-14 22:29:10

CatWolf4891

I'm too much of a "chicken!" to tell anyone blantely that I may be a Cat and/or Wolf Were/Therian (like the stupid pun? )  I kinda keep my animal behaviors too myself when I can; when I have control.  I know I've acted a bit "feline-nish" before around two of my best friends, but; despite them knowing I'm into writing and drawing anthro's and were's, I think they just think I just like to add weird.  I've had another so-so friend ask once before why I draw all these animal people, direct quote "what is with you and cats!?" ...he's the last person I'd ever tell about myself.

The Full Moon to humans is just a rock; The Full Moon to me is a symbol of freedom and release
A Howl to humans scare them; A Howl to me is a harmonious song...
And I Howl back.
I am SUCH the Romantic big_smile   Awwoooooooooo!

#13 2008-07-14 23:14:35

bloodlust
werewolf guardian
Website

i wouldnt tell any one like that either,people used to give my hell if i told them about my being a therian(at least those who don't understand therianthropy)

#14 2008-07-15 03:20:25

Rahela_Pricolici
Website

I have found how convenient the line, "animal spirit" is. If I either come across new people, or people I already know, that wouldn't understand, I use that as an explanation.

"Speak to me now and the world will crumble. Open a door and the moon will fall. All of your life, all your memories. Go to your dreams, forget it all"
Fighting, Biting, and Rock n' Roll.

#15 2008-07-15 04:31:11

Quint the Wanderer
Website

Why is it that every time I come across a thread like this I always feel like I'm the only one who is OK with my parents? tongue

Anyway, I'm just dropping subtle (sometimes less) hints, which I can't help. I don't see the point of saying so directly.

The question is mightier than the answer.
The difference between chaos and order is just in the point of view.

#16 2008-07-16 00:02:28

WolfVanZandt
Website

I was okay with my parents.

"Animal spirit" works for some people. It most definitely doesn't work for others. The idea is to pay attention to who you're talking to.....

#17 2008-07-16 00:11:49

punxnotdead

Quint the Wanderer wrote:

Why is it that every time I come across a thread like this I always feel like I'm the only one who is OK with my parents? tongue

Anyway, I'm just dropping subtle (sometimes less) hints, which I can't help. I don't see the point of saying so directly.

I am great with my parents. My dad, well he's a modern version of Homer Simpson.
My mom, though, she's awesome. I love her to death, and unlike usual teenagers, I love to hang out with her. Weird, huh?

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#18 2008-07-16 00:19:32

milana
Website

Quint the Wanderer wrote:

Heh, I'm cool with my mom. My step-dad and I have never liked each other, never will. It's just one of those things. I don't think I could tell my mom or family though, because of the fact that they're all such stuffy Catholics sometimes. Religion kind of effects every decision one makes in my family.

Aside from that: My friend and I were talking about this last night and she told me her method of telling people she's a shifter (or polymorph or whatever you want to call it): first she tells them her older brother haunts her. Because ghosts, out of all paranormal sounding things, is the most believable. Once they accept that easily enough, she steps it up with a random comment on her two brothers being a vampire and a dragon. Then, if they accept that, she tells them she's a shifter. She did that with me, actually. It's kind of like a test.

My Triond.

#19 2008-09-08 12:32:46

gizmofreak7

I think my best friend would be the only one i would tell that im a Therian.
He's a lot like me,like the same things and he's open to things like Weres and Therians.
I think he might be one myself,but i think he does not know...yet...

Last edited by gizmofreak7 (2008-09-08 12:33:19)

mmm,cookies........

#20 2008-09-08 12:48:28

gizmofreak7

Is a bummer you  had a argument with your friend *****,but im glad you made friends again.
It would be nice to know some Therian or Otherkin here where i live.I could be open to them then,i feel kinda lonely here.

About my best friend,il try and bring it in hints,just to see how he thinks about it.
Il tell the results!

mmm,cookies........

#21 2008-09-08 12:53:41

gizmofreak7

Thanks *****! big_smile

Im glad i joined the Werewolf Cafe after all.
I can be a lot more open with you guys then with my friends!
Some of my friends get all scared of watching horror movies.Me? I get cramps from laughing by looking how they get shocked  tongue

mmm,cookies........

#22 2008-09-09 00:10:08

WolfMontana

Awesome smile I found the same thing when I came here. It's hard to find a talking point about werewolves in a regular chat with most folks.

"Hey, it's so great to catch up!"

"Yeah, it is. Thanks for coming for a coffee, it's been a while."

"Yeah." *twiddles thumbs* "So, how bout those werewolves huh! Saahweeeet! You know, I keep waiting for someone to make another quality werewolf movie - you know like American Werewolf In London - but nobody seems able to pull off a decent flic. What up with dat! And seriously, what do you think, are CGI werewolves worth it?"

o.O "Uh... excuse me." *runs*

Okay, maybe not that bad. It's not the ONLY thing I talk about... big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#23 2008-09-11 09:43:48

gizmofreak7

Umm on second thought,i didn't tell him.
When i wanted to tell him,something in me stopped me from saying it......i think he might be a therian himself,but doesn't know yet like me......

I ve been watching him and he has had the same changes ive had,all of them!
And mine and his mother know each other from when he and i wern't  still born(they know each other from pregnancy gym)(i dont know whats it called in English)we like the same things and stuff.

O well,maybe he'l tell me he's a therian when he finds out smile

mmm,cookies........

#24 2008-09-12 08:20:50

gizmofreak7

ahaha,thats a good idea *****!

I will make his screensaver say the Werewolf cafe URl and then he'l click on it
Then he will recognise my screen name (i use it in all the games i play) and he'l start thinking.........
Wait a sec,isn't that...... *checks to be sure*
OMG it is him! I gotta ask him at school!

And maybe if he stays around at the Cafe,he maybe will find out if he's a Therian too! big_smile

Last edited by gizmofreak7 (2008-09-12 08:21:09)

mmm,cookies........

#25 2008-09-25 08:30:08

gizmofreak7

*****,i told him  about the werewolf cafe while i was chatting with him.

I gave him the Url from the forums and i asked him if he could read and that it was kinda personal.

Then he told me he understands it,to a certain degree
Now i hvae someone offline to talk about this stuff.

I feel so much better now that i told him.
So,thanks again for giving me the courage to do it *****! smile

Last edited by gizmofreak7 (2008-09-26 10:28:03)

mmm,cookies........

Board footer