Website

Patricia Briggs

I think it's time to open a thread for Patricia's books:

The Mercedes Thompson series:

Moon Called
Blood Bound
Iron Kissed
Bone Crossed (comes february '09)

Wolfsbane & Mistletoe (a collection of stories, contains Star of David which is loosely related to the Mercy books)

And from the dabel brothers is a comic coming (fall '08?) detailing some of what occured before Moon Called in Mercy's live

The Anna & Charles series:

On the prowl (a collection of stories, contains Alpha & Omega which starts the Anna & Charles series)

Cry Wolf

Mercy is a car mechanic spezialing in German build cars (mostly VW's) and a walker; a Native American with the ability to turn into a Coyote (not the same as a Skinwalker and no trickster), unlike the werewolves she's not bound to the Moonphases.

Anna Latham is a rare Omega werewolf and as such stands outside of the regular pack politics, she's among other things not under the control of the Alpha wolf the way a regular werewolf happens to be.
Charles Cornick is the son of the Marrok, the leader of the North American Werewolves, and works as his enforcer/assassin.

So far Brigg's world is populated by the usual suspects (Werewolves & Vamps) and the Fae.
While it ain't necessary to have read Alpha & Omega it sure helps because Cry Wolf seems to start immediately afterwards (just guessing here, only read Cry Wolf so far), that book is set between the events in Moon Called so if you haven't read either yet you might want to read them together (ain't necessary but it adds a little more depth to the respective stories).
Cry Wolf is a bit darker in it's tone than the Mercy series and focuses on the Werewolves and the pack politics, the Mercy Thompson books so far are about the werewolves, the vampires, the fae (and Bone Crossed will focus apparently on the vamps again, though the werewolves always play a part in the books, too).

Last edited by Daninsky (2008-07-25 08:28:40)

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#2 2008-07-24 05:49:29

WolfMontana

Re: Patricia Briggs

Really, really enjoyed Moon Called, skipped through most of Blood Bound, and trip and fell out of Iron Kissed. But Moon Called was brilliant. smile She's an awesome strong character, and I like the fact that there are things she keeps discovering about herself, about being a skinwalker.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#3 2008-07-24 12:57:36

ArcLight
Website

I've enjoyed the Mercy books well enough but the story in "On the Prowl" did nothing for me so I'll likely skip "Cry Wolf."

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#4 2008-12-01 14:11:02

Daninsky
Website

So anybody read the comic or Wolfsbane & Mistletoe?

Personally I liked both, although I had to skip the story by Keri Arthur (so not my style) and was disappointed by Karen Chance's entry, I expected more from her. Patricia's story is the most serious in tone, and well executed.

#5 2008-12-01 20:19:35

Dragoniakmp
Website

I liked the first two Mercy books, but the third one ruined it for me.

I thought Cry Wolf was really boring, and to be honest I only bought it for the cover art.

I don't think she's as good of a writer as everyone makes her out to be.

#6 2009-01-04 13:41:21

WickedBelle
Website

If I had seen this post earlier, I wouldn't have been goofy and made another one! I've just started the Mercy Thompson series and I've read the first two, I loved 'em! I'm waiting on the third so I can get lost in it. I've only read Cry Wolf and was lost at first, and then I realized I totally skipped On The Prowl, but it wasn't long and I was lost in it as well.

I think Patricia is a very creative writer and she's done a fabulous job of creating her own "Wolf World"! I'll continue to read her series and drool over the hunky wolves.

Instead of social skills, the creator saw fit to arm me with an attitude and fangs.

#7 2009-01-05 09:10:52

Daninsky
Website

I like both the Mercy books and the Anna & Charles novel, but while I look forward to the next Mercy book I'm really eager to see how she continues the story of Anna & Charles.
I love the idea to have the story revolve around a real couple in a real relationship, far as there is any such thing in Paranomal Fantasy. wink
And I prefer the third person over the first person narrative, so all in all, Anna & Charles seem to shape up to be more to my gusto.

But much as I like Sage and Asil as secondary characters I really love Jesse, there should be more of her in the books, so I have to continue reading both 'til I can convince her to shuffle Jesse over to the Anna & Charles series! big_smile

Last edited by Daninsky (2009-01-05 09:15:54)

#8 2009-01-05 13:24:32

Aki

Only read the first one (Moon Called) but plan on checking out the other ones. I rather like how she's done the various creatures that inhabit the world and has some neat characters (like Stefan; Scooby Doo loving vampire? Awesome!). And Patricia's husband did an awesome article on silver bullets, which was both interesting and informative.

Last edited by Aki (2009-01-05 13:25:21)

#9 2009-03-25 17:45:37

TheWolf

If you like the Patricia Briggs books, then I think that you'll also find Rebecca Armstrong's Bitten novel, and the follow up Stolen to be equally enjoyable. They are part of the "Women of the Underworld" series, and tell the story of Elena Michaels a female werewolf.

I am Leloo, The Wolf
The Merciless, The Wolf

#10 2009-03-25 18:36:23

The Busboy
Administrator

TheWolf wrote:

If you like the Patricia Briggs books, then I think that you'll also find Rebecca Armstrong's Bitten novel, and the follow up Stolen to be equally enjoyable. They are part of the "Women of the Underworld" series, and tell the story of Elena Michaels a female werewolf.

NOTE: Actually, these are Kelley Armstrong's books, and her website is at: http://www.kelleyarmstrong.com/

#11 2010-01-29 16:28:33

ArcLight
Website

Just picked up the paperback of BONE CROSSED if anyone was wondering when it comes out.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#12 2010-01-30 07:27:29

Daninsky
Website

I've got the UK version, have to wait to get the US version from eBay (I like my covers to fit each other).

In other news, Moon Called will come out as a graphic novel and Homecoming is scheduled to come out in German (if anybody's interested), but only as softcover.

From the looks of the cover I'm not yet sure if I like the "Moon Called" comic:
http://www.tfaw.com/Profile/Mercy-Thomp … 1___357102

#13 2010-02-12 01:40:22

Minty

I've read all the Mercy books; not so impressed with the Anna and Charles books.  I find Anna to be a rather trite character, though I sympathize with her situation, and it feels like Briggs doesn't really know Charles very well as a character yet.  Will still keep reading, though! The Mercy books, on the other hand, are fleshed out much better.

Gah, I'm such a writer. . .

"They flee from me, that sometime did me seek/With naked foot stalking within my chamber./Once have I seen them gentle, tame, and meek/That now are wild and do not once remember/That sometime they have put themselves in danger/To take bread at my hand; and now they range,/Busily seeking in continual change."--Thomas Wyatt, The Lover Showeth How He Is Forsaken of Such as He Sometime Enjoyed

#14 2010-07-19 16:06:01

hext

I think the patsy briggs books are great, the mercy world she has created is exactly like it would like to see (read) more of. Although the Mercy Thompson is the original and kicks ass, I really enjoy reading more about the inner workings of the Marrok's pack expecially from an "outsiders" point of view

Board footer