The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#276 2010-05-26 01:26:30

ShadowWolf2010
Website

Re: SilentStrider's untitled story

Take your time my friend! I'm enjoying the progress yours is making and teaching me alot about the writing process. I have been so busy with school its hard to write. We got 11 case requests for my paranormal team this week from the backlog on the TAPS server from a bunch of fans flooding the national case request box with useless junk.

I'm considering re-writing a scene and planning out the first big action bit so it may be few more days before I post a new segment. Maybe longer depending on how cases go but by all means take your time. I look forward to any insight you will provide because I know it will always be honest and well put together!

--Tony
"Woof."

#277 2010-05-28 04:00:48

SilentStrider

Sorry guys sad  I don't know if I'll be able to get a story post completed and in a presentable form by Friday.  Today was my best day for having time to do so, but I'm starting to get sick and have a head cold.  It was making it extremely hard for me to get any decent typing done, and I only completed maybe an additional 5 pages.  I felt like I was dragging the words out one by one and it was such an arduous task even though I wanted to get some quality writing done.  I'm even feeling a loss in appetite, that's how blah I'm feeling right now.  I'll keep you all updated.

#278 2010-05-28 09:08:18

ShadowWolf2010
Website

that sucks. Hope ya feel bettter soon!

--Tony
"Woof."

#279 2010-06-06 03:00:22

SilentTerror

Cmon man!! i just got back and have yet to read the new posts and im already bummed out from the fact that you are feeling bad. Finals have been crazy and i just ended school, and the fact that ....i..uh..kinda...forgot..my login information... contributes to my lack of reading. god, i have to change my password now and then ill get to reading the story. You better get...better!

The few, The proud, The Marines. Semper Fi
Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do. -- Airforce Core Values
"In God we trust: All others we monitor" -- 5th Reconnaissance Squadron (5th RS)
"You'd be cocky too if your missile did MACH 2+" -- 2 LAAD (Low Altitude Air Defense) Battalion. Det 26 MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)

#280 2010-06-06 03:06:27

SilentTerror

wow, there is nothing to read. Im sorry, and I know you've felt bad, but you havent posted, ANYTHING. What? has it been about two weeks or so? im not trying to be mean, but I was looking forward to something new. sad

Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do. -- Airforce Core Values
"In God we trust: All others we monitor" -- 5th Reconnaissance Squadron (5th RS)
"You'd be cocky too if your missile did MACH 2+" -- 2 LAAD (Low Altitude Air Defense) Battalion. Det 26 MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)

#281 2010-06-07 19:16:52

SilentStrider

Good news I'm feeling better, but the bad news is I haven't much to post yet sad  I was surprised to have been sick for so long.  It's not usually like me to get sick like that.  I have a history of an excellent immune system and I've bounced back from illnesses in about a day that have had my wife laid up for a week.  Thankfully my daughter inherited my immune system too smile  I was first congested in my sinuses and then it spread down to my lungs and I'm fairly certain it had become bronchitis, but it's all clearing up now and I'm about 95% better.  In addition to that I was only able to take one day off of work and it really blew (quite literally) working while I was feeling like crap.  I also jammed my thumb badly enough to where it felt like I might have broken something but fortunately it turned out to be just a bad sprain, and I did something to my knee, not sure what, but it's been hurting me to bend it too much so if I'm on my feet for any extended period of time I'll start walking with a limp.

All in all I've had a pretty sucky past two weeks.

But on the up side I am feeling better, and I should have something worthy of posting around Friday.

I'm sorry ST for not having anything sooner.  I truly am.  I look forward to everyone's comment here as much as you guys enjoy reading it, so that was something else that bummed me out this past weekend too.  I did make an attempt to write, however when I reviewed it I felt like it lacked cohesiveness and I had trouble focusing my mind well enough to think things through clearly.  It was huge struggle for me to try and clear up the mess I had written, so I had decided to give up on it until I felt better.  I recently went back and took another look at it and I've decided I had to throw most of it out, but I cut and pasted it on a separate file in case there are ideas in it I want to bring out in a better version.

Well that's where I'm at now.  I promise you I'll get to writing as soon as time allows me to and I'll find a way to give  you all another ten pages worth.  I at least want to bring it to the point where I'll be describing in detail  what happened in the alley way where Chris was assaulted.  It's a good werewolf scene where Sean (in werewolf form of course) kicks some serious butt in a rather gruesome manner.  I'm looking forward to getting to write that part in story format.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-07 20:40:59)

#282 2010-06-07 20:05:39

ShadowWolf2010
Website

Glad to hear you are feeling better! Being sick sucks.

--Tony
"Woof."

#283 2010-06-07 20:42:19

SilentStrider

Thank you Shadow, for your support before, and now.

#284 2010-06-08 02:05:58

ShadowWolf2010
Website

always, my friend.

--Tony
"Woof."

#285 2010-06-19 00:22:14

SilentStrider

Finally!!!  I've completed this chapter, although I had originally planned to make it longer, this seemed like a good stopping point for this post and for this chapter.  I just want to apologize for the lengthy delay between posts, but I've been having a lot of real life stuff going on that's been getting in the way of any available time I've had to write.  Well let me not keep those of you who have been waiting far too long for this segment.

Read, Enjoy, Coment smile

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“You have to understand that just because you are a nephlim it doesn’t mean that you’ll inherit any of your celestial aspects, and it’s an accepted fact nephlims that pass their twenty-first birthday never manifest.  I don’t know why that is.  It might have something to do with that part of your being becoming inert and fading from the lack of use or not being activated.  I can only pretend to know the exact reason.

“But, as a result, the older you get the less important my elders are considering you to be and my place as your guardian hardly holds any value to them.  I think many of them secretly hope that you’re not the nephlim the prophecy refers to and they would rather ignore the significance of the many visions that preceded your arrival.  But, there are a few that still support my role, and they may be the only reasons why I’m still with you.

“There’s one more important thing I have to say, and that’s the reason why I’m telling you all of this now.  I believe that there is a strong possibility that we may be in danger when we return to Louisville.  I don’t know what it is, and I don’t have any proof, but what I am certain of is that I have been lied to by my elders, denied proper assistance from them, and I’m getting treated with a complete lack of disrespect.  I know for a fact they should’ve been able to verify something about what happened in the alley where Chris was assaulted, and they should’ve shared that information with me, but instead they’re brushing everything under the rug and telling me to look the other way.  They’re treating me as though I’m the one who cried wolf, and I fear someone unseen is underming my position and setting me up.

“I don’t know what’s going on or who to trust, so I feel as though we’re on our own.  I can’t allow you all to remain ignorant, especially when it’s likely we won’t be safe.  Right now the best thing to do is for me to tell you the truth, and to do everything I can to prepare you for whatever we may find.”

Tara finished relaying to her friends everything she had silently rehearsed over and over again for the better part of the evening.  A part of her mind was numb and she couldn’t completely reconcile herself with the path she had just chosen.  She stood there, quietly waiting, realizing that her mouth had gotten very dry from nervousness and talking excessively.  Tara felt Sean’s eyes looking up at her from where he sat patiently, but her main concern was what her other two friends were thinking.

Dawn stared at her, unmoving and with the dear-in-the-headlight look of speechlessness.  Chris on the other hand looked as though she were half listening and was keeping her mouth closed only because it was asked of her.  Tara figured it was going to take them some time to wrap their heads around what she had just told them, and she anticipated she would be lucky if she got any sleep before witnessing the sunrise. 

She uncrossed her arms and was pleased to see her hands were no longer shaking.  She dropped them down to her sides and shrugged her shoulders at a loss of where to take the discussion from here.  When she rehearsed the conversation in her head she didn’t predict it would take this long for them to say something.

“Is that it?” Chris finally broke the silence. “Because I’m still waiting to hear about the part where we’re supposed to save the world or some crap like that.”

“Chris, I assure you, everything I’m telling you is the truth.  I’m sorry that it all sounds surreal, but it’s…”

“Oh come on!  You don’t honestly expect me to believe all the stuff you just said.”

“Look I know it’s a lot to take in, and if I was able, I’d take my time revealing all of this to you.  Believe me, I’d much rather give you the chance to accept the reality of what I’m sharing than give you the shock treatment. It would’ve been so much easier on you all if you had the chance to come to terms with this on your own, but I… we can’t afford that luxury.”

“Okay,” Chris said, throwing her hands part way up in the air in a show of surrendering. “Prove it.  You said you would show us some magic, so make a believer out of me.”

“Fair enough.  That’s what I expected anyway.  However, before I begin I feel I have to warn you I have certain… limitations placed on me, and if I exceed them someone will notice and it’s very likely I would get severely punished.”

“Sounds like a copout,” Chris challenged.

“I don’t mean it to be, but I think I can do enough of the basics to convince you.”

The next half hour Tara spent performing minor magic carefully using as little energy as possible so as not to be noticed by whatever elder was on duty monitoring the crystal linked to her.  She also had on the bracelet Viasa had given her hoping its additional protection would make her undetectable.

She started off with some paltry examples like filling up a sealed ziplock bag with air and rubbing the tips of her fingers together to produce wisps of smoke.  It was simpler and far less complicated than what she remembered of some of the earliest spellcasatings she ever did.  Tara was actually more than a little surprised to discover how much extra concentration it required on her part to use such minuscule amounts of her ability.  She couldn’t help but wonder if the reason she had to devote the extra attention was because of her past addiction fanning her desire to use more magic than what she was tapping.

She pushed such distracting thoughts to the back of her mind to examine latter, lest it disrupted her focus and her spellcasting unraveled.  Such a sloppy dispersal of energy would likely get noticed despite the tiny amount she was using, and that was an additional problem she could do without.  The bracelet might be able to cover the splash affect, but she wasn’t sure yet, and she wouldn’t trust it until she had more time to examine its capabilities and limits. 

Between Chris and Dawn, Chris was the most skeptical, on trying to figure out how Tara was fooling them, while Dawn’s reaction was simple wonderment and short vocal expressions like, “Wow,” “That was cool,” and “How are you doing that?” Sean remained silent allowing himself to disappear into the background again, and Tara was grateful that at least he wasn’t interfering or causing further problems with Chris.  She privately made a mental note that while everything was getting thrown out onto the table she would get some kind of confession from the two of them and begin cracking the shell encasing their issue.  Whether they liked it, or not, she couldn’t allow them to stay at odds with each other.  Tara had strong feelings that all four of them were about to head into an unknown dangerous situation and she’d be damned if she let their issues unnecessarily jeopardize them.

Tara realized in order to win Chris over she would have to give her spellcasting a little more power and be more creative with the fraction of energy she was using.  Coming up with a plan, she made everyone sit down at the table, shooting a warning glare at Chris not to complain about being a few feet from Sean.  Once they were all seated, and their mobility limited, Tara focused her attention on a space a couple of feet above the center of the table, and brought into existence a small flickering flame.  It was no bigger than what a candle would hold, but it wasn’t connected to anything.  The only thing fueling it was the air around it and Tara’s will.  She dedicated a portion of her mind to maintaining the tiny element of fire and returned her main focus to her friends staring at what she had just created.

They all gaped at it with Sean being the only one keeping his mouth closed.  He didn’t require convincing that magic was real, and Tara was fairly certain he had seen other examples of spell casting with far more astonishing affects than what she was providing them.

“What is that?” Chris asked.

“It’s fire,” Tara answered, and for a split second her focus wavered, and the flame was nearly snuffed out.  She still underestimated how much harder she had to work maintaining something so small and misjudged the degree of which she had concentrate.

“That little thing?” Sean spoke in what sounded like mock surprise. “Nah, it can’t be real.  I bet it’s just an illusion.”

“I assure you it’s not,” Tara cautioned, not liking Sean’s strange take on the situation all of a sudden.

“Is it hot?” Chris wondered out loud studying in amazement the dancing flame in front of her.

“Illusions can’t be hot.  You can probably wave your hand through it and be fine.”

Tara understood Sean was leading her on, trying to get her to touch the fire, but she didn’t think Chris would actually attempt it.  She realized a second too late that she was wrong as Chris’ hand left the table top and headed directly for the flickering point of light.

“Chris, no.  Wait!” Tara’s warning didn’t come in time for Chris to register what she was saying and to pull her hand back.  She moved her palm directly through it and retracted it just as fast.

“Oww!  That burned!” She clutched the side of her right hand close to her chest and then pulled it far enough away to where she could examine it more closely.  The skin had an angry red color, but luckily it didn’t look bad enough where it would blister.

Tara turned to Sean and glared at him with appalling disbelief. “I can’t believe you encouraged her to do that!”

“Yea I tricked you.  I don’t care whether you believe me or not, but I’m sorry,” he apologized alternating his look from Tara to Chris. “Go ahead and hate me if you want, but Tara can’t do all the spectacular things it’ll take to convince you.  She’s limited and if she goes too far and gets caught using magic when she’s not supposed to then she’ll be forced to leave and you’ll never see or hear from her again.”

Dawn, concerned for Chris, tried to take a look at her injured hand, but she insisted that she was fine and asked her not to make a fuss over it.  It didn’t escape Tara’s notice the look Chris give him promising Sean some type of retribution.  She could imagine her keeping a mental tally of everything Sean had done, and she was going to get even with him.  Tara knew that for sure.  It was simply in her nature.

“It’s basic psychology,” Sean said, leaping straight into anexplanation before someone else could speak. “Did you ever have an adult tell you not to touch something because it was hot, and then you went ahead and did it anyway?  ‘Hot’ is a meaningless concept until you actually get burned.  As soon as you’re able to interact with it and experience it with your senses it’s not real to you and there’s no way for your mind to define what ‘hot’ means.  This is magic.  It’s real, and it can do a lot more than just burn you.

“Just like fire, it’s a form of energy.  It is a tool that’s neither good nor evil, but its purpose is directly influenced by the individual using it.  Regardless, it deserves proper respect no matter how large or small the source is.”

All three girls stared at Sean with varying degrees of stunned looks on their faces and he stared back at each of them confused as to their intent expressions.

“What?  Did I not make sense?”

“Sometimes Sean,” Tara responded, “what you say surprises me.  How do you know so much about magic?”

“My uncle taught me.”

“The more I hear about your uncle the more interesting he seems.  I can’t wait to meet him.”

Sean’s brow curved in confusion at Tara’s remark, and he was about to ask her what she meant by her last comment, but Dawn found her voice and talked over  Sean,  asking questions she felt were more important. 

“You know how to use magic too?” Dawn questioned him excitedly.  She switched her attention back over to Tara with a hopeful expression, “Does that mean you can teach us?”

“It doesn’t quite work like that,” Tara informed her. “Learning it takes the majority of practitioners a great deal of time, and not everyone has the capability to interact with magic and shape it into a spell form. Primarily it’s my goal to make you aware and to try and teach you some of its basic laws, so that you have an idea of how to protect yourselves if need be.”

“Hold up.  Back up a minute here, “Chris demanded. “Something you said earlier isn’t adding up to me.  Now I’m not saying I believe in your story about an angel, but if Dawn was given inot your custody as a new born, like you suggested, exactly how old were you when that was supposed to have happened?”

“I was fifty-three,” Tara responded without so much as flinching.

“What?!  No way!  That would mean you were…,” Chris paused quickly doing the math in her head. “There’s no way your seventy-two years old.  I had a hard time believing you when you told me you were twenty-one.  Now you’re saying this.  You’ve got to be joking.  You’re barely five feet tall and that’s when you’re wearing heels.  You look like you should be starting high school not getting ready for retirement.”

“Actually I’m seventy-three,” Tara corrected her, “and spellcasters don’t age like normal people.  It’s one of the benefits of working with magical energies.  It does something to the human body, revitalizing it, but doesn’t make us live forever, and we’re just as susceptible to injuries and sickness as everyone else.  The longevity we enjoy varies from individual to individual, and it can be as little as a couple of centuries to millennia or more, but those are rare cases.”

“This just keeps getting better and better,” Chris declared in a mocking tone. “How much more of this fantasy bull are you going to drop on us?”

“There’s a lot more I’m afraid, and this is only the tip of the iceberg.” Tara felt sympathy toward her friend and wished she could’ve taken a different approach with her, but there just wasn’t enough time. “Chris I know this is all really hard to take in, but please bear with me.”

“Is it true what they said before?” Dawn asked Chris. “Are you really a telepath?  Can you read people’s minds?”

Chris groaned with despair and folded her arms up on the table creating a place where she could lower her head and bury her face.  After a couple of seconds she eventually released a muffled “yes” from within her makeshift pocket of privacy.

“Why does that bother you?” Dawn asked not comprehending Chris’ behavior. “That’s got to be one of the coolest abilities anyone could ever have.  Man, if I could read minds I would… well, I don’t know, but I’d find a way I could use it to help others.”

Chris laughed softly, lifting her head up to look at Dawn. “Oh, sweet and innocent Dawn, you are one of the reasons why I’m still sane.”

“I am?”

“I don’t think there’s an evil bone in your body,” Chris told her fondly, “and dark thoughts just don’t have a place to take a hold in you.  You act like an anchor, keeping me from getting swept away by all the other random junk thoughts that are always coming from every which direction in the city.”

“Is it really that bad?” she asked feeling troubled that Chris had to endure what she imagined was torturous.

“It isn’t always like that, but some days it is.  I don’t know what it’s like for other telepaths, assuming there are others, but it hasn’t exactly been something I’d call a gift.  There are days where I can’t shut out what other people are feeling and thinking, and I just want to stay in bed with a pillow over my head until I feel normal again.

“Don’t get me wrong though.  As much as it cripples me sometimes, it’s not without its own perks.” With a sly look she continued, “It has come in handy for tests I didn’t have time to study for.”

“You cheat on your tests?” Dawn exclaimed with shock.

“I had no idea it was that bad for you, Chris,” Tara told her as she was nodded in affirmation to Dawn. “If I had known I would’ve confronted you about this sooner and tried to do something to help you.”

“I’ve been dealing with this all my life,” Chris replied back to Tara nonchalantly. “I’ve learned to cope with it.  What I’d like to know is how did you figure out I was a telepath?”

“Magic.”

“Magic?  If you make it a habit of giving me that for an answer I’m going to hit you.”

“It’s more complicated than that,” Tara said, feeling amused at Chris’ hollow threat, “but I use enchantments to help protect me from a broad spectrum of things, one of which is supposed to shield my mind from unwanted intruders.  However, with you it wasn’t working the way it was supposed to and somehow you were still able to slip past my defenses.  It was so subtle I barely noticed it at first, and it took me several attempts at fine tuning things until I was finally able to narrow it down to you.”

“That’s probably why your thoughts always seemed muted to me,” Chris marveled reflecting on how things had been. “I could never get anything from you unless I concentrated.  It’s also the reason why you and Dawn made such good company for me.”

“I can clearly see that now,” Tara said with an all new appreciation for the talent Chris possessed. “You know Chris, I think you have a very rare sensitivity level, and I don’t think I’ve heard of anyone ever handling it so well.  Most of the instances I’m familiar with, people with your degree of awareness, usually become completely unstable unless they’ve had some kind of formal training.   You’re very lucky to have made it this far without losing yourself.”

Chris shrugged her shoulders as if it were no big deal to her. “I’ve never had anyone show me anything.  I’ve survived well enough on my own and I’ve always done my best to keep a low profile.”

Chris paused for a moment, staring down, tracing imaginary circles with her finger on the table top.  The corner of her mouth was turned up ever so slightly with a smirk, and Tara could tell by the look in her eye she was planning on doing something she felt was going to amuse her and surprise them. “I don’t know if you know this, but I’m more than just telepathic.”

“What do you mean?” Tara questioned cautiously.

For an answer Chris grinned mischievously and then turned her attention onto the counter top of the kitchen island.  Everyone else turned their heads searching for whatever it was she was concentrating on, and then within a few brief seconds they saw a drinking glass mostly full of water begin to quiver.  The vibrations of the glass quickly became more severe and a bit of water sloshed over the edges as it started to rattle across the counter top in their direction.  Suddenly the glass shot across the room heading straight for them as if it had been shot out of an invisible sling.  Dawn almost screamed but her abrupt shock choked off her sound and made it sound more like a squeak.  Tara was taken completely by surprise by the sudden revelation of Chris’ second ability she stared in amazement.

Chris held out her hand, anticipating its trajectory the instant the glass launched itself across the room.  Unfortunately her aim was a bit off and her fingers fumbled the attempt at recovering the glass.  Water splashed everywhere on the table and Chris’ small audience got doused with a good portion of it.  Chris hectically tried to make a second grab for the fragile container before it shattered and spread broken glass everywhere, but it was a futile gesture.  Luckily Sean had quick enough reflexes and snatched the glass out of the air, gently setting it down on the table.

Chris smirked, and Sean chuckled at the after affects of the whole spectacle.  Unfortunately for Dawn she seemed to have unjustly gotten the worst of the splash affect, and half her face had hair plastered to her skin with drops of water soaking her shirt.  She held her mouth open in a big “O” feeling the affect of the cold water, and Chris looked at her hoping she hadn’t just upset her.

“Still think this is cool?”  Chris playfully asked hoping it would modify Dawn’s reaction.

Dawn slowly relaxed and let her eyes focus back on Chris.  Gradually they saw her light up with excitement and she proclaimed in a quiet voice, “That… was awesome.”

They all shared a good laugh over what had just happened and more of the tension Tara had been containing within herself lifted.  She even noticed that for a brief moment Sean and Chris had lowered their guard toward one another and allowed themselves to enjoy the experience. 

None of this had happened in the ideal fashion Tara hoped it would, but in regards to how everything did play out, she knew it could have gone a lot worse than it had.  It wasn’t a bad beginning, such as it was.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

For those that are interested, I didn't include an extra bit where Chris was trying to get Tara to do additional magic where she wanted her to fill a glass up with water or some other kind of liquid.  Tara objected that idea with a brief explanation of how summoning things with actual substance require applying a lot more magical energy than she could safely allow.  Fire and air are elements with very little physical substance so she's able to summon or create those aspects without taxing herself overly much.

I've started on the next chapter and I really enjoy how it begins.  It's worth a good laugh or two, so if I find the time late tonight I'll try and add more to it.  At least enough to where we all can enjoy it too.

#286 2010-06-19 15:35:29

stoicfortitude

Excellent segment

#287 2010-06-19 15:43:22

SilentStrider

thank you Stoic!! big_smile

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-19 15:43:36)

#288 2010-06-20 02:35:24

SilentStrider

Here's more like I promised.  It's less than what I wold normally like to post, but I felt so bad for depriving you all for so long, I wanted to give you more as soon as i could.  This is still very early on in the chapter for me and as more is written, and I proof read it a couple more times, I may change a few things here and there.  I'll let you know if I do though.

I rather like the beginning of this chapter, and I hope it can illicit a laugh or two from you guys.  Please, let me know how it works for you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 12

Chris’ telekinetic powers were a marvel to them all, especially Dawn, whom Tara was concerned for.  Tara was at least grateful that her best friend was keeping an open mind and even maintaining a positive attitude to the unbelievable things she just dumped onto their shoulders.  All in all Tara considered herself quite lucky that things had gone as well as they did, but she was still very worried for Dawn and the details she appeared to be ignoring for the moment. 

She hadn’t once asked about who her biological parents were, or anything about the foreboding prophecy Tara very much feared Dawn was a part of.  She didn’t even bring up the one topic Tara was dreading the most, which had everything to do with the nature of nephlims and how they manifested.  Tara was partly glad she didn’t have to confront Dawn yet on those sensitive topics, but on the other hand part of her wished she could just explain it all to her here and now and be done with it.  She hated how the potential confrontation created a dreadful anxiety that she felt obligated to carry around with her until her best friend was ready to ask the questions she needed to ask.

There was so much more information she knew she had to share, and she had to constantly warn herself that what she had just presented to them was more than enough for right now, and that they needed time to digest everything.  Tara knew if it had been her in their shoes she would have wanted to know more about the potential danger that was supposedly waiting for their return.  She suspected Sean was feeling much the same way as she was, because he refrained from asking questions that she knew were on the tip of his tongue but holding back.  Once again he gave her a new level of appreciation for having enough insight to recognize that it was important for the stage to belong to Chris and Dawn, and to not ask questions they weren’t ready to deal with.

He presented an entirely different aspect to everything that was going on.  Tara didn’t fully understand the role he was supposed to play, or the extra baggage he was bringing with him.  She knew only part of his problems, but she was certain his shaded past contained mysteries and dangers all of its own that would likely wind up involving her and her friends in one way or another.

Tara didn’t like the precarious place she found her life teetering at the moment, and all she wanted now was time to try and find answers to all the unknowns that seemed to hang menacingly in their future.  Her mind was way ahead of the others trying to ascertain the potential dangers, the information they needed, and how well she actually knew the three individuals she just threw herself in with.  Tara was very worried things were going to get worse from here on out, but she could tell that Chris and Dawn weren’t ready to face that topic yet, so she did her best to conceal her troubling thoughts and to participate in the little bit of fun they were having with Chris showing off her telekinesis.

Before, Dawn was enjoying with almost child-like wonder all the different things Chris was picking up with her mind and making fly around the room with simple ease.  Even Sean was taking part in the wonderment of it all and for a short while they seemed to have put aside their differences.  That was until Chris had somehow managed to light a candle from the dining room and stealthily floated it into the kitchen where she was able to light Sean’s pant leg on fire without him noticing it.

She had complete faith that Chris was going to get even with him for having tricked her into touching the flame, but she didn’t predict she was going to take her revenge out on him so soon or in such a drastic fashion either.

When it happened Sean was standing by the back door with it slightly open and half his face exposed to the cold air through the screen on the storm door.  He claimed he needed some fresh air, but apparently wasn’t willing to miss any of the fun that was going on.  From his position he was able to watch everything and get whatever he needed from the night air.  Chris was able to distract him by claiming she wanted to see if he really had good reflexes or if he had just been lucky before when he had snatched the glass out of the air.  She hurled a few things in his direction, all of which he caught with barely an effort, and Chris seemed impressed.  She even went so far as to compliment him on his performance, but in hindsight Tara was fairly certain it was just an additional tactic to make him let his guard down.

The next thing anyone knew there were dark tendrils of smoke rising up from around Sean, and a rapidly growing fire near the cuff of his jeans.  Dawn shouted an incoherent warning, and grabbed the glass of water Tara had just poured herself.  In a panic she tossed the liquid in Sean’s general direction, which wound up mostly on his upper half and on the floor while he finished patting the fire out.

Chris couldn’t contain herself and shamelessly burst out laughing at the spectacle that had just happened.  Tara was stunned at first, but then she too couldn’t deny how silly it all actually looked, but she at least had the decency to try and hide her amusement by covering her grin with her hand.  If she thought for a moment that Sean could’ve gotten hurt then she would’ve reprimanded Chris for what she had done, but she was more on Chris’ side and felt she was somewhat justified.

Dawn was the most upset out of everyone, but the tone of her warning to Chris lacked conviction.  Tara was fairly certain even she thought that Chris had some right in doing what she had done.  Thankfully Sean had the good grace to accept the sneak attack for what it was and he didn’t do anything to retaliate.  He even camouflaged a compliment to Chris’ skill for having been able to pull it off the way she did, and his attitude appeared to sate Chris’ dislike for him at the moment.

“Chris,” Tara addressed her, “I’ve got a favor to ask of you, but I don’t want you to try if you don’t feel comfortable with it.”

Chris was in the process of using her mind to move a fork and spoon along the surface of the counter from where she sat.  She was using the utensils to reenact some comical version of the nursery rhyme of “The Cow Jumped over the Moon.” Only in her extended version the fork and spoon didn’t have such a happily ever after and were beginning to get into a violent disagreement.  Tara’s serious request intrigued her and she set both items back down on the counter top.

“What do you want me to do?” she asked giving Tara her full attention.

Tara took a second before she continued.  She stared at Chris, reconsidering what she was about to ask of her, and wondered if it was fair.

“How skilled of a telepath do you think you are?” Tara began.

“I don’t know how to answer that question.  It’s not like I’ve ever had anyone to compare myself with.  Why don’t you just tell me what you want me to do, and I’ll tell you if I think I can do it or not.”

Tara nodded her head slightly with respect to how Chris responded. “I want you to link all four of us together telepathically and see if between yours and Sean’s memories we can piece together what happened in the alley the night you were attacked.”

Chris sat there silently reflecting on what Tara was suggesting, and wondered how to go about attempting such a thing. 

Sean was quiet as well, and Tara thought he tensed the moment she voiced her idea.  If her plan was going to work Sean’s participation was absolutely critical, mainly because he was the only one who had walked away from the encounter intact and conscious.  However, the trick was the human version of himself did not possess the actual memories of the encounter and she was certain he understood exactly what she was about to ask him to do.

Everyone waited on Chris’ answer until finally she said, “I’m not sure.  I’ve never done anything like that before.  Besides, even if I could, I doubt wolf boy over there would even let me.” She made it a point to stare right at Sean. “He’s very touchy when it comes to that sort of thing.”

“Sean, what do you think?” Tara asked him, hoping he would agree.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I updated this story segment.  For the most part everything in this post stayed the same with only a few things that were reworded here and there.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-26 05:18:34)

#289 2010-06-20 04:04:10

mrRW

I liked both segments.  I had been waiting to see how all of the conversation segments flowed together and  think they do nicely. 

Also, the humorous stuff leads nicely into into he seriousness of the telepathic link so i think that works well as well.

#290 2010-06-21 05:11:12

SilentStrider

Thanks mrRW!  Your opinion matters greatly to me since I know that you're not afraid to speak your mind when you feel something in the story isn't flowing correctly.  This scene is certainly a difficult one to construct like I said before.  There are some complicated elements that I'm trying to combine which form the backbone of the storyline as well as some characters with colorful and definite personality of which they each have their own background and opinion in regards to everything that's going on.  I'm not expecting to get everything right in this scene on the first try, but I feel like I'm doing a fairly decent job at it.

#291 2010-06-21 20:28:34

ShadowWolf2010
Website

darn right you are! lol. You are much better than making interactions than i am between characters!

--Tony
"Woof."

#292 2010-06-22 00:04:18

SilentStrider

Thank you Shadow!
I was surprised that I actually had extra time to squeeze in some writing today, so let me post this additional bit to chapter 12.  I'm almost to the point where we get to see Sean as a werewolf in a red rage of bloodlust attacking Chris' assailants from the alley.  I'm certain in the next post we'll get to see it.

Something else I want to add is that I'm aware of having some misspellings and several instances of where I need to reword things to make it sound better.  Half of the corrections I originally made were not saved before I posted, so I will be going back to this post and the previous one to make those corrections latter.  probably tonight if I'm not too tired.

Additional Comment:  Apparently I was to tired to continue after all, but as I write this I have made those corrections.  After I complete the chapter, and add in the few bits that mrRW has pointed out to me in the following post, I'll update it all for a more complete and satisfying overall read smile

UPDATE:  I cut and pasted an updated version of this story segment, and it includes several additional lines of dialogue between Sean, Chris, and Dawn during the time Tara is absent retrieving the wolfsbane.  The extra bits are an attempt at following mrRW's suggestions of including Chris' and Dawns questions about werewolves.  I admit that I personally feel that their conversation doesn't include as much detail as I'd like, but at least the topic has been touched on and it does demonstrate their curiosity about Sean's nature.  I hope it feels like enough and that it doesn't disrupt the continuity of the scene.  At the very least it does open up future topics for them to discuss later.

I've also taken into account some of what SilentTerror mentioned in regards to why Chris is having a hard time accepting the supernatural.  I hope she's able to get her point of view across well enough to be understood.  I know if it were me in her shoes I wouldn't be having her problem, but I guess that's just who she is.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sean continued to stand by the door, quietly returning the look Tara was giving him.  They locked gazes taking into consideration many other aspects to Tara’s proposition that the other two girls were unaware of.  Eventually Sean dropped his head with a sigh then turned his face fully into the draft of cold air that flowed in from outside.  He didn’t say a word, but Tara had the impression if she gave him a little more convincing then there was a good chance he’d go along with it.

Sean turned his head back toward Tara and said, “This isn’t a good idea, and I think you know that.”

“Of course I know it,” Tara agreed, “but when you consider things we don’t have much of a choice.”

“How do you figure?” Sean challenged.

“The one thing we lack the most of right now is knowledge, and locked up inside your head and Chris’ is vital information that could potentially help us to identify whatever it is that poses a threat.”

“But I don’t have those memories,” Sean protested.

“I understand that, and trust me, I’m fully aware of why you wouldn’t want us to go digging around that part of your mind.  But please consider how important this could be.  We literally have nothing to go on and nothing we can do other than wait for whomever to reorganize another attack on any one of us.” Tara looked around the room at her other two friends briefly imagining how capable they would be at fending off a surprise assault from some unknown supernatural force.

â€œI’m not satisfied with that option,” she spoke as she returned her gaze back on him.

â€œBut you have no idea how I might react,” Sean cautioned her, “or how dangerous…” He let his sentence trail off, unwilling to contribute any further unnecessary fear that was already beginning to show within Chris and Dawn.

“I think I can prevent that from happening if you’re willing to try something a bit drastic.”

Sean looked at her, interested in what she had in mind, but he still didn’t feel the benefits outweighed the risk.

“Wait here!  I’ll be right back, Tara told them and she got up from the table.  She excused herself as she walked past Sean and hurried outside into the moonlit night.

The others were unsure of where she went or what to do while she was gone and an awkward silence fell over them.  Sean tried to ignore it by keeping his eyes fixed onto the last spot he had seen Tara’s form disappear into the night.  He could tell Chris didn’t like it when Tara wasn’t around and she was in the same room with him.

Dawn couldn’t stand the silence, so she moved over to the counter where the nearly empty bowl of turkey salad was and started to clean everything up.

“There’s a little bit left,” Dawn commented. “Do any of you want one last sandwich?”

“Sure,” Chris responded, looking up from the table. “I’ll take one.” She stared at Sean who was doing what he was comfortable with and hiding in the background to avoid attention.  She decided not to let him get away with it anymore, and since his secret was out, now was as good a time as any to see what else she could find out about him.

“So, you’re a werewolf,” she directed toward Sean. “What’s that like?”

He turned his head and looked at Chris, but he didn’t say anything.  He just studied her wondering how much he could trust her, and how much of the truth she could handle.  Chris stared back at him and he could feel her presence reaching out to him, exploring the impenetrable barriers he kept his mind shielded with.

“Are you even aware that you’re doing that?” he asked her.

“Doing what?” Chris shot back at him defensively, as she yanked her telepathic probes away.

“You were trying to read my mind.”

“No I wasn’t,” she replied, offended at the accusation.

“You don’t even realize when you’re doing it, do you?”

Chris looked away from him feeling miffed, and Sean almost felt bad for her.  Maybe her mind was ultra sensitive like Tara suggested, and she couldn’t always control her telepathy.  It was that, or she was so used to using her powers without ever having anyone to check her it made reading people’s thoughts come as a second nature.  Asking her to stop would probably be like asking a compulsive gambler to stop gambling.  Either way Chris clearly had a problem with controlling her talent and that was something he could relate to on a couple of different levels.

“Chris, you don’t need to peek inside my head to know what you want.  Why don’t you just ask me what you want to know and I’ll tell you as honestly as I can.”

She turned her head to look back in his direction and he could tell by the way she looked at him she was searching for any indication he was baiting her.

“Look,” Sean continued in a reassuring manner, “I get it.  You don’t trust me.  I’m guessing you’re even uncomfortable with the fact that I’m a werewolf too.  Maybe that even scares you a little bit.”

“I’m not scared of you,” Chris said narrowing her eyes and taking it personally.

“Fine,” Sean conceded, “I figured wrong.” He surrendered his opinion, but in his heart he understood very well Chris didn’t want to openly admit she was afraid.  Every time it came down to it her instincts made her recoil away from him in fear.  It was blatantly obvious to Sean.

Dawn came over to the table and sat down next to Chris, delivering her a plate with the sandwich she had requested. “I for one would love to know more about you, and what it’s like to be a werewolf,” Dawn said eagerly.

Sean took a second to collect his thoughts before he closed the door and joined them at the table, sitting across from them. “You know Dawn, I find it amazing how all of this fascinates you and how easily you accept it, while Chris over here,” he gestured, “who happens to be a very gifted  psychic with untapped potential, is resistant to the very idea that werewolves and magic are real.” He was very careful with the tone of his voice making sure to not sound sarcastic or to make Chris feel like he was attacking her. “Why is that?”

Chris seemed to relax a little bit and Sean could perceive the level of her hostility drop down a notch before she spoke. “It’s because what I can do makes sense to me.  I understand it and it’s not hard for me to imagine that there are others out there who can do things like me.  But magic, werewolves, angels,” she said with her face contorting in disbelief, “how can all that stuff exist without the rest of the world knowing about it?  That’s what I don’t get.”

“It’s a lot simpler than you think, but like the rest of this, it’s an answer you’re probably going to find hard to accept.” Both girls stared at him waiting to hear what the big mystery was. “Some people know the truth, but most people don’t.  Of the people that don’t, half of them have probably seen things that fall into the realm of the supernatural, but their minds try to rationalize what they’ve seen into something they can understand.  They trick themselves into believing what’s real and what’s not, so in that way they’re actually choosing to ignore the truth.  In addition to the people that know, a good majority of them do what they can to cover up the truth.  Most supernatural things don’t mind that because they’d rather not be bothered by the rest of the world.  There’s protection in remaining anonymous.”

Sean leaned back on his bench, “There you go, those are the basics.”

“I don’t know,” Chris said shaking her head. “I’m just not sure I can accept it being that simple.”

“It is what it is.  I don’t know of any other way to explain it.”

“Is there anything you can do to prove to us that you’re a werewolf?” Dawn asked hoping to see more of the fantastic.

Sean laughed a little to himself at how eager Dawn was to believe in the wonder of it all and he told her, “No.  I wouldn’t want to risk it.”

“Oh,” she said slightly taken aback, “It’s not something you have control over, is it?”

“For me that’s true, but for most other weres it’s not,” Sean took a deep breath trying to decide how he could explain it best. “Usually a were creature is born naturally and they’re brought up by a parent, pack, or tribe.  They learn from birth how to handle themselves and understand right from the beginning what they are.  In some extremely rare cases a were’s bite can infect a person and they can become a werewolf, or whatever, that way, but usually the one who bit them takes responsibility and teaches them.  I happen to be one of those rare cases of being bitten, but I never had anyone to guide me.  Well, that’s not entirely true.  My uncle has done his best to help me, but he’s not a were creature himself, so it’s been hard on the both of us.”

“You sure do mention your uncle a lot.  What’s he like anyway?” Chris asked as she finished taking the last bite of her sandwich.

“Umm… he’s very private.” Sean was beginning to accept talking to them about himself being a werewolf, but he still felt very apprehensive about discussing his vampiric uncle.  It wasn’t his place to make him known to them without Gregor’s permission. “He’s… uhhh, a very rich, eccentric old man who enjoys his solitude.”

“So, he’s a hermit that happened to be lonely enough to take you in,” Chris remarked. “Why do I get the feeling he’s more than that?”

“I did say he was eccentric.”

To Sean’s relief they heard the storm door open and they all looked over to see Tara enter through the backdoor.  However, Sean’s feeling of relief was short lived once he saw in her hand part of a plant with long purple petals that drooped off of several stems.

“What do you intend on doing with that?” he asked her without taking his eyes off the wolfsbane as she carried it over to the table.

“You’re afraid of what might happen if we try to recover some of those lost memories,” Tara addressed him while she plucked off several of the petals and set them down and set them down in front of Sean. “If you take this part of the plant and keep it between the roof of your mouth and your tongue it should help keep you calm.”

“I don’t get it T,” Dawn said as she approached the table and watched from over her shoulder. “What exactly is that stuff supposed to do for him?”

Tara glanced at Chris who was still sitting at the table where she had been ever since her close encounter with the magical flame, and she looked over at Dawn trying to figure out the best way to tell her friends without giving them something to be afraid of.

“Well…,” she began uncertainly, “It’s slightly complicated, but let me try to think of how to explain this.”

Sean scooted of the bench and stood up next to Tara. “Can I talk to you privately?” he said without making it sound like a request, and he walked of in the direction of the family room assuming she would follow.

“Excuse us for second,” Tara told the others, “I’m sure this’ll only take a moment.” She was glad to escape without having to try and explain things to Chris and Dawn she feared would scare them into not trying what she needed to get done.  Hiding her relief she moved into the family room hoping she could resolve Sean’s concerns quickly.

“Do you have any idea what that stuff can do to me?” Sean questioned her in a heavy whisper, disguising a hint of anger.  He didn’t even wait for her to cover the entire distance of the room to where he was standing.

“I’m fully aware of how it can affect you,” Tara responded back to him maintaining the whisper their side conversation began with. “If you’d like I can recall from memory a long list of many different applications of this herb and an even longer list of what it can do to were creatures if applied properly.  However, I’d rather not spend that much time getting into the details of it.  Please, Sean, I know what I’m doing and I need you to trust me.”

“I’m not doubting you.  If it’ll do what you say it will then I believe you.  My problem is that I’m trying to wrapping my head around how dangerous this could all become if I change regardless, and my alter ego decides to pick up where it left off, and go for your throat.”

“It won’t happen like that,” Tara said calmly shaking her head.

“How can you be so sure of yourself?  You don’t know what I’m like and you’re still trying to figure me out.  Damn!  I’m still trying to figure myself out.”

“Calm down and let me explain how this will affect you, and then maybe you’ll be willing to go along with it,” Tara waited a second to make sure he was willing to listen before she continued. “The enzymes within the petals of the plant react with your saliva in a particular manner.  The longer it remains there the more drastic it will affect you, but while you remain in contact with it your physical body will refuse to change form until it purges it from your system.”

“How bad are these affects you’re talking about?”

“If it stays in your mouth for more than a half hour it’ll probably paralyze you while leaving you conscious for a time, but you don’t have to worry about that, because you won’t have it there for any more than ten minutes.  It’ll probably be less than that, and closer to five minutes.”

“What happens if I accidentally swallow it?  What will it do to me then?”

Tara wasn’t entirely sure of that scenario, because nothing in her textbooks mentioned how it would affect a willing participant, but she knew enough where she was able to make a reasonable assumption.  She made sure to make her reply without feeling doubt, and described to him how it would make him feel sick and his stomach would reject it almost as quickly as he swallowed it.  He seemed to accept her answer with a nod of his head and his cynical expression relaxed.

“I really want to know what happened this afternoon out in the woods, and I trust you’re going to tell me later, but right now I’ve just got one more question,” Sean said in a serious tone. “Are you sure this is worth it?  Because this seems like a desperate decision, and I don’t think it’s wise to jump into this when we have time to consider other options.”

“We don’t have as much time as you think, and this isn’t a spontaneous decision.  I have this all planned out.  The only thing I’m lacking in is participation.”

She could see Sean’s face grow in suspicion with her telling him of her forethought in the matter, but before he could bring that topic up Tara started to usher him back the way they had come.

“Let’s go back into the kitchen,” Tara said stepping in that direction. “We really shouldn’t be whispering trying to hide stuff from them at a time like this.  They need to trust me more than ever and you need to have faith in us.”

“I can’t believe I’m going along with this again,” he said just before they stepped into the kitchen, but he kept his voice low enough to only be heard by Tara who was a step in front of him.

“So is Courage willing to go along with your plan?” Chris nodded at Sean while asking Tara.

“Courage?” she asked, not understanding.

“You know, that Nickelodeon cartoon, Courage the Cowardly Dog,” Chris said with a teasing smile as she looked at Sean for a reaction.

Tara couldn’t help herself and unwittingly giggled at the comment.  Dawn did too, and even Sean smiled at the joke with a casual shake of his head.

Tara didn’t let herself get carried away with it though and told Chris, “Yea, he’s good.  Right Sean?”

Sean sighed and took a seat on the table bench opposite of Chris. “I guess so.  I’ll give it a try.”

“Seriously?” Chris reacted in surprise. “You’re actually going to open your mind to me?”

Sean stiffened, and focused directly on her. “Watch it!” he said sternly, barely keeping his voice from sounding like a growl. “You need to be extra careful when you’re poking around in my head.  I’ve only had one other person do this to me and he’s got way more experience at doing things like this than you’ll likely ever have.  I’ve been through a lot and I’ve suffered all kinds of mental trauma and I don’t even know the extent of it all.  I do know I’ve had stuff done to patch me up, and you could do a lot of harm if you’re not careful.  I don’t know exactly how this is going to work or what you’re going to see, but keep your mind on what needs to be done, and listen to Tara.  For all I know my uncle may have even left a few booby traps in case I ever had unwanted visitors pry my mind open to see inside.”

“Your uncle is a telepath too?” Tara didn’t waste her opportunity to remark on what Sean had revealed. “Will wonders never cease.”

“I know,” Sean said not sure if he was liking how keen Tara was on catching all the tidbits about his uncle.  He wanted to kick himself for being so careless. “Can we concentrate on what we’re trying to do here first and later maybe we can talk about him, okay?”

Tara had a few things to set up first and while she disappeared to her room to fetch what was needed she instructed Dawn to go ahead and pour at least four cups of milk into a frying pan and to heat it up to where it would be steaming, but not boiling.  It didn’t take long for Tara to return carrying a shoe box and a cedar cigar box with a top that looked like it flipped open in the middle with two separate doors.

She set the shoe box down on the table and brought the other box with her to the stove where Dawn was monitoring the pan and stirring it with a wooden spoon.  Tara opened the lid and started to take out little glass vials and reading tiny labels of tape that identified them until she had found the three she was looking for.

“What are you doing?” Dawn gave voice to what was on everyone else’s mind.

“Since Chris has never done this I’m trying to help make this work as smoothly as possible.  The warm milk will help us all to relax and the stuff I’m adding to it now will help us to open our minds and make it easier for her to work with us.”

“So this is kind of like a potion?”

“Yea,” Tara smiled at Dawn’s fascination, “this is just like a potion.”

It didn’t take long for the powders Tara added to dissolve and with Dawn’s assistance they had the milk equally poured into four different cups and distributed around the table where they each had a seat.  Having a little fun Tara held her small glass up to make a toast, “To Chris’ telepathy,” and she tipped her head back and downed it quickly.  The others imitated her and they all made faces of disgust  as they experienced how bitter the liquid tasted.

“Uuuck!” Chris protested. “That was horrible.”

“I know,” Tara said suppressing her amusement, “but you’ll be glad we drank it.”

“What’s in the box?”  Sean asked, referring to the shoe box Tara had placed on the table earlier.

“This is what’s going to help you and Chris to hone in on the memories of what happened in that alleyway.”

Tara lifted the lid off and inside was a couple of objects wrapped up in black silk.  Tara carefully unfolded the top layer to reveal an old worn sneaker with nearly all of its laces broken and uselessly still dangling in place.

Sean’s face immediately lit up with recognition. “That’s my sneaker.  That’s the one I lost in that alley.  You took it?” he said, looking at Tara. “But why?  How did you even know it was even mine?”

Tara smiled in response. “A good Wizard doesn’t reveal all of her tricks.  I have it wrapped up in this black silk to help preserve its aura, so Sean, if you would be so kind as to pick it up and set it down on the middle of the table.”

He did as instructed with Chris making sure to let everyone know that she thought it was gross.  Tara then folded back another layer of the black silk so that everyone could see a torn piece of purple fabric.  Tara gave a moments pause to see if anyone recognized it before she told them that this was part of Chris’ shirt that had gotten torn during the encounter.  No one made a comment about it and since it had Chris’ aura on it she did the same thing Sean did and took it out of the box setting it near where the sneaker sat.

Finally Tara unfolded the silk one last time and pulled out of the box a small glass bottle much like the ones she had in the cigar box containing the chemicals she had used in the milk.  Inside a thick black oily substance sloshed about as she placed it on the table as well.

“This is something else I found in that alley when I searched it, and I’m certain it’s not a natural substance.”

“What is it?” Dawn asked looking closely at the small container.

“I’m not sure exactly, but I know that’s it full of dark unnatural energy, and If I didn’t’ seal it up it would’ve completely evaporated without a trace.”

Sean looked at the small collection of objects on the table too, and concluded, “So, we’re using these things to help Chris focus in on the moment it all happened?”

â€œYes,” Tara answered, “they’ll help her, but more to the point it should help you the most.  We need to bring those memories of yours out of the depths of your subconscious and get them as close to the surface as possible so Chris doesn’t have to search too deeply to find them.  Since she was there too, she knows what the setting looks like and can help get your mind there, but the rest of it will need to come from you.”

Tara looked around at everyone giving them an opportunity to say anything else, but they were all quietly waiting to see what would be next.

â€œOkay,” Tara said. “Let’s begin.”

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-26 06:05:57)

#293 2010-06-22 10:54:53

mrRW

It might be interesting to have a few introductory werewolf questions asked by Dawn or maybe Chris before they go into the telepathic section.  Looking forward to seeing how the whole thing plays out though.   

I'm also wondering if Tara and Sean will discuss more in depth what happened when he tried to change as that could b interesting as well.

#294 2010-06-22 23:42:20

SilentStrider

Those are some very good points mrRW, and I feel that I should address those too.  I can see myself going through a somewhat lengthy editing session to include those details.  Off the top of my head I think an excellent place to include a couple of questions is when Tara steps out to get the wolfsbane.  I'm rather upset with myself for having overlooked a couple of opportunities for my characters to have brought up those questions too.  Luckily I have readers like yourself to help me catch such things.  Thanks!

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-23 13:30:16)

#295 2010-06-24 06:55:28

SilentTerror

Im back! and i love the new additions. I was surprised and absolutely ecstatic when i saw the new post, but lucky me, not only did i see 1 new post but 3! where to begin.... You are doing an excellent job with the story and i didnt see any errors, although I may have skimmed past them. I am glad to see that you are feeling better and filled to the brim with ideas. tongue Im glad to see that you didnt forget seans uncle. big_smile and you handled the mood extremely well. suspense... you really can keep a reader attached. its actually 4 in the morning and i wasnt sure whether i wanted to see any updates but im glad i did. The telekinetic power of Chris's or however (im really tired) is a little random but its enjoyed. the one problem is how chris is in such disbelief when she herself has powers. Im just saying. I absolutely cant wait for the transformation scene, i know you will handle it amazingly. I still absolutely enjoy this story, but in my opinion, there is not enough scenes from seans point of view. I know that you need to do some explaining, and if i wasnt so tired i could probably remember, but I know that there are a few authors that explain an event in one chapter, while in the next they are showing whats happening from someone elses point of view in another area. So im going to bed but im really glad that you decided to finally add more.

#296 2010-06-24 08:14:13

SilentStrider

Hey ST!  It's good to hear from you again smile  I was wondering when I'd have the pleasure of reading a post from  you.  I'm glad to see how pleased  you are to read 3 new posts.  I've got a bit of good news for you too, I'm almost ready to add another post to conclude chapter 12.  I just have to finish typing up what I estimate to be the last two pages and then I'll back track ounce through the chapter to add a few questions thrown at Sean by the girls about what it's like for him being a werewolf.

The next post will include something akin to a flashback of Sean in werewolf form the night Chris was attacked.  You'll get to see him in action as lean, mean, furry, killing machine, but the scene won't be much on the description of the transformation.  I know every good werewolf fan always looks forward to the transformation scene, so when you get around to reading the next post don't fret.  The next chapter will show Sean in the midst of a change with at least Tara as a witness, and it'll be from her point of view (I know I've mentioned this before, but I did it again here any way*shrug*)

Another big part of the next post will display Chris using her telepathy, and I hope you'll like the way I describe it.  You'll just have to see and judge for yourselves.  I had to figure a way to introduce Chris' telekinesis, and I knew it had to be somehow incorporated into this night of revelations.  her mind over matter ability is actually pretty important to the over all plot, and you'll get to see how it will play a key factor in the second book.  I won't tell you exactly how, but I will give you a slight hint... do you remember Cyrus from chapter 4?  He was at the end of that chapter just in case you decide to take a look back to get another glimpse of his character.  I shan't say anymore, hehe *evil grin*.  In addition to all of that Chris' TK powers will also contribute to some spectacular action scenes as well that have been well planned out.  I'm sure you'll enjoy them.

I know there are some more things that you've mentioned in the above post but right now I'm very tired and I will have to address them tomorrow too.

Ok!  I got some sleep, and now before I head into work I can try and tackle the other two main topics that I recognized in your above post.

Why is Chris having such a hard time believing the unbelievable?  Hmm... let me see how I can describe this.  In short she knows of her abilities and believes in them.  She can even conjecture that there are likely others in the world with psychic abilities too, but when it comes to magic and other outrageous supernatural things she has a hard time accepting it.  Why?  Simply because she's never had contact with anything of that order.  Chris has done everything she could to try and keep her powers a secret and as such she has also willingly turned a blind eye to everything else except if it was something she recognized as psychic in origin.  I'll figure out how to include this explanation in the story later, or this may be something that will get explained as the story moves forward.  It seems to be one of the finer integral details to her character that I just haven't found a spot to aptly describe.

The other important topic you brought up was the lack of viewpoint from Sean.  I'm out of time though so I'll have to make some comments about that tonight.

UPDATE: Sorry it's taken me a couple of days to get back to this post and finish it up, but I've been busy.  My wife and I have a second child on the way, and there's so much to get done.  Hehe... I threw that comment in here to see if anyone has taken the time to backtrack in the posts to catch the updates.  I think some of story's dialogue is incentive enough, and now here's a little extra background piece to what's going on in my life too.  I tell you I'm incredible nervous, and I'm not sure how we're going to make everything work.  No matter what I do or how ready I am or not, that baby is coming and... oh wow! 

Well, back on topic.  I wanted to address the lack of Sean's view point.  I realize it feels like it's been missing for quite some time, but I also recall mentioning earlier that a good portion of this part of the story is dominated by Tara's perspective. 

A major reason why I did this is because at this point she has a better idea of what's going on than my other characters, and I wanted to utilize her understanding to help the reader make better sense of what's going on.  Also she has been more thoroughly fleshed out at this point in the story than the other two girls, and has made a connection to Sean as well.  I feel through her character I'm better able to tie everyone together, kind of like I'm using her as the center piece that links the rest of them.  In truth these three girls are as important as my main character Sean, (which is why I've given them the title of "secondary main characters") and Tara's character allows me to create direct connections from them to Sean so that I can develop them more fleshing their characters out.  I hope I'm making sense there, because I can tell fatigue is beginning to set in since I spent entirely too long struggling to explain this point.  Haha, and since I find that funny it just proves to me even more that I'm over tired.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-26 06:40:36)

#297 2010-06-25 00:18:49

SilentStrider

Okay... real quick I'm going to make these next two posts back to back and together, like I promised earlier, they will wrap up this chapter.  I decided to split it into two because it was just a tad bit too long for one of my normal post (ha, listen to me, as if short posts are customary for me).  I'll com back later tonight to clean things up a bit and make a couple of adjustments.  I also have a big chunk to add to a previous post as well.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Since establishing a link between all four of them fell into Chris realm of expertise, they all started off listening to her and accepting her guidance.  She told them it would be easiest if they were holding hands, and she stressed that it was most important for her to be making physical contact with Sean since he was the most difficult of all for her to read.

It only took her a few seconds to filter through their different frequencies and fine tune everything to where they were all able to hear what the others were thinking.  Chris explained, without using actual words, that not everything they thought was getting broadcasted to the others, and that she had the ultimate decision of what was shared with the rest of them and what wasn’t.  In addition to her last comment she gave Dawn an exaggerated wink which caused the sides of her face to turn red from embarrassment.

For the first few minutes they all took their time marveling at communicating to each other with just their thoughts.  It took Dawn the longest to get the hang of it and to keep herself from broadcasting the everything that crossed the surface of her mind, but with a few adjustments, and a little help from Chris, she was able to get herself under control.

Once everything calmed down and Chris felt they were ready she turned toward Sean and said, “Now it’s your turn.  You’ve got to open up the rest of the way.”

Tara felt his grip get a little tighter around her hand and she could sense his resistance.  Right away she told Chris she couldn’t treat his mind like the many others she was used to.  The way she was approaching him was only going to make him tighten the shield around his thoughts, and to prove her point they were able to sense Sean’s connection to the rest of them begin to fade.  It took him a moment to relax and for him to allow Chris to reestablish his link.

“I’m sorry,” Sean projected his thoughts to the others. “This isn’t easy for me.”

“So how am I supposed to do this if he won’t let me,” Chris complained to Tara.

“First off you can’t just slip into his mind, or bulldoze your way in.  Sean’s been trained by a telepath, and one with great skill from the feel of it,” Tara commented with appreciation. “The only way you’re going to get into his subconscious is if he’s relaxed and feels like he can trust you.  You have to let him invite you in.”

“This is hopeless,” Chris thought, “He’ll never let me in.  I don’t know why we’re even trying this.”

Tara looked at Sean pleadingly, “Please, Sean, work with her.”

“I’m trying to, but she’s not making it easy.”

Chris audibly sighed trying to refresh her approach. “Look, Sean, I don’t know why you’re so resistant to this.  It’s not like anything bad is going to happen to you.  All we’re doing is just looking, and I promise I’ll take it real slow and that I won’t look at anything you don’t want me to see.  Trust me when I say I’ve had my share of seeing stuff in people’s heads that I wished I hadn’t, and I have no desire to add to the collection of those memories.”

“Why were you always trying to get inside my head before?” Sean’s question burst forth suddenly out of desperation and he struck right at the core of his apprehension.

Chris was startled and it took her a moment to respond. “I had never encountered someone like you before.  I was hoping I could learn how to shield my mind the way you do yours, so that I could know what it’s like to go a single entire day without having to wonder if what I was thinking were my thoughts or someone else’s.  I can’t even begin to describe how crazy that makes me feel.”

“I know exactly what you mean,” Sean’s thought was very much in contrast from his last, and it came out as a soft whisper accompanied with sympathy.  Much to Chris’ surprise she could sense the hardened outer layer of his mind soften and dissipate, and she watched silently observing what only she could understand in a way that the others could not.

Chris was in awe as she saw not just a single concentrated protective cover disappear, but it was more like a series of intricately woven layers of carefully constructed repetitive thoughts.  She could feel his sophisticated defensive shield willingly drift away from him into the mental aether, and she watched in awe.  She would never have expected someone like Sean to have been able to construct something so magnificently clever and complex.  She studied it as well as she could, hoping to grasp some insight so that she could attempt to duplicate something similar, but she wasn’t prepared for how quickly Sean opened up.  Then there was also the level of detail which was so great she couldn’t fine tune her senses in time to catch how everything was tied together.

Sean’s mind stood before her completely exposed for the first time since she had met him, and she cautiously extended her awareness forward wondering what other surprises she might find.  At first she didn’t understand what she saw.  Everywhere she looked was like looking through a window that had been broken into shards and then professionally put back together again with the cracks still remaining to obscure her vision.  She had never encountered a mind with so many scars and memory fragments.  It didn’t make sense how it was possible for him to function properly.  Now she understood what he meant by telling her to be careful how she proceeded with him.

It took her several long minutes to get in sync with Sean’s mind, during which Tara asked Chris twice if everything was all right.  Chris told her she was fine and that she just needed a few moments to adjust herself to how Sean operated his mind before they could begin.  Sean sat still with his eyes closed the whole time and she could tell that he was concentrating on his breathing, keeping it steady.  He was trying hard not to show how nervous he was with her presence well within the threshold of his personal space. 

Although Chris had never heard of any kind of telepathic booby trap being setup in someone’s mind, she thought it best to play it safe and to heed his earlier warning.  Even if such things weren’t possible she knew well enough not to try and move about within the fragile landscape of Sean’s mind.  She feared any casual manipulation of sifting through his memories could cause something to break and she had no idea of the damage it could lead to.  The prospect of searching for what Tara wanted seemed daunting, and Chris hoped her method of using the items on the table would make a significant difference.

Finally she told Tara with her voice that she was ready and she in turn told Sean that now would be the appropriate time for him to take the petals of the wolfsbane and put them in his mouth.  Sean opened his eyes and sighed heavily and Chris could easily feel his anxiety when he stared at it.  In fact for some reason she could sense him bypass her filters and he was able to somehow transmit his emotions to the others.  There was only one way she knew of for that to be possible, and that was if he possessed some sort of psychic ability as well

Whatever he was doing Chris could tell his ability wasn’t the same as hers.  It seemed much more basic than what she was accustomed to and it lacked the level of information she was used to receiving and sending.  This was definitely something she wanted to find out more of, but she contented herself with just observing for now. 

Sean picked up the purple petals with his finger tips and placed them unwillingly on the surface of his tongue and almost immediately Chris and the others could feel a strong disgust emanating from him.  All their faces shared in the expression Sean was making and he was shocked with the sudden realization of what he was unintentionally doing.  He apologized right away and Chris could feel him begin to wrestle with something in the far recesses of his mind.  It was similar to watching a dark cloudy sky come to life with lightening silently exploding in the distance and silhouetting clouds of various shapes.  This went on for longer than Chris could tolerate, and she got the impression Sean wasn’t used to controlling this power of his.

She felt a strong urge to intercede, but everything he was dealing with was further in his mind than Chris felt comfortable in traversing.  There was no way she was going to be able to attempt what Tara wanted of her and not be distracted by Sean’s unhindered broadcast of his emotions, so she resolved something had to be done and it was up to her to do it.

Her normal filter wasn’t working on him and whatever peculiar way he was sending out these emotions wasn’t operating on the same wavelength she worked with.  It seemed much broader and not as fine tuned as when she sent and received thoughts.  She could also feel the metaphysical aether within Sean was charged the way air would feel when lightening was getting ready to strike.  It was hair raising and these were things she could pick up from the edges of his mind.  She knew it was far more intense the further in it went, and she could only imagine the kind of power he was struggling to maintain.

It frightened Chris, but she didn’t let the others know it.  She at least found a small amount of comfort in the knowledge that she was safe as long as she didn’t venture forth into the storm.  However, she still needed to come up with something to help Sean quell whatever was going on.

“Sean, let me help you,” Chris asked from a line of communication that was only open to him and her.

“I got this,” He seethed as if he was straining hard against something and he was too prideful to allow any form of help.

“Ha!” Chris mocked him. “You’re as inept at this as someone discovering for the first time they have an ability they never even knew they had.  You’re not making any progress and you could use my help.  There’s no shame in that, but there is if you prolong this.”

“What can you do?”

“I don’t know, but we can start with you showing me what you’re trying to do and take it from there.”

She could feel a measure of doubt come from Sean and she was able to see that the feeling of doubt was strongest within the one-line communication she had opened up verses the circular link she had formed earlier that connected all of them simultaneously.  Sean conveyed to her in a rapid condensed form of ideas and impressions what he knew of his empathic abilities and how he had spent a great deal of time training with his uncle to develop it and get it to function properly.  Chris was stunned with how fast the information came flowing from him and even more so at how clearly she was able to comprehend it all.

Instinctively she understood what he was trying to do and from what she had glimpsed of prior experiences with his uncle helping him she also understood how he had dealt with him in the past.  Essentially Sean had only developed an on-off switch to his empathic powers, but he had never discovered a way to adjust it like a dial.  His switch was also loosely connected to his sophisticated mental shields and when he lowered them he had accidentally turned it on.  For some reason or another it was quite a trial for Sean to throw the switch back into an off position and in the past his uncle had helped him with effortless ease.

Unfortunately Chris didn’t find that as a viable choice because it involved entering deeper into Sean’s mind and weathering the violent storm.  Sean’s mind was so completely foreign to her she knew very well that option was too dangerous.  She didn’t possess the familiarity his uncle did, and whom apparently made such a procedure seem as simple as literally reaching out to flick a light switch.

“Sean, this is going to take you forever to get control of, but I know what we can do to quick fix it.” She could feel him listening, waiting to hear what she had in mind.

“I’m going to take Sean out of the link for just a moment,” Chris told everyone in the telepathic circle.  Then she redirected her attention on the personal line of communication she had with just Sean. “I need to create a second connection to you and use that to funnel the emotions you’re sending out through me.  I can control it from my side and tuck it away in a pocket that will mute it.  However, this is a temporary fix, and you’re going to still have to get a hold of this on your own.”

Chris gave him a second to comprehend what she was telling him before asking him if he was ready.  He agreed and what felt like a couple of minutes to them was only a few seconds to Tara and Dawn.  Chris could feel the wild torrent of raw unexplained emotions surge into her through the extra line she had established, and she quickly found a part of her own mind to hide it until they could finish what they originally started.  She finally reestablished the circle with the four of them and let Tara know they were ready to begin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow!  That was a lot of italics to add in this post.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-26 06:51:39)

#298 2010-06-25 00:19:24

SilentStrider

Warning

The following post contains some scenes of graphic violence.  I will mark where the particular section begins and ends by inserting red texts for the benefit of my readers who may be sensitive to such subjects.  I will also include at the end of this post a brief and simplified summary of the events that occur between the red text

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It didn’t take long for everything to happen after that.  Tara had Sean and Chris stare at the objects and spoke to them in an almost hypnotic voice leading them back to the time just before their encounter in the alley.  She told the two of them to visualize the alley in as fine detail as they could manage, and Chris was impressed with how easily it came to her.  It worked even better as she saw Sean doing the same thing and they worked in concert creating a more accurate setting.  The image seemed to take on an existence of its own, and within a matter of moments Chris felt like she was actually back in time physically standing in the place she had been attacked.  She looked down at herself and could see her feet, legs and the entire rest of her body.

“How is this possible?” she rhetorically asked.

“You’re doing this Chris,” Tara’s voice came from in front of her, and when she looked up she saw they were all standing with her as well. “It’s through your telepathy that this is all possible.  Granted I’m using the items on the table to give your powers a little bit of a nudge, but essentially this is being done entirely by you.”

They all looked around in amazement at how realistic their environment appeared to be, and Chris laughed with astonishment.  She hadn’t the slightest clue that she was ever capable of creating such a thing, and she wondered in what ways she could apply this new skill.

“Before we all get too distracted,” Tara informed them, “we need to stay focused on what we’re here to see, and most importantly of all you must remember that what we’re watching here is a replay of what has already been.  We’re like ghost that can do nothing o physically interact with the scene, just like the individuals we’re about to see can do nothing to interact with us.  In fact they are only memories and we won’t even register within the awareness.”

“This is like a sophisticated way of memory recall,” Sean stated very impressed and wondering why he had never done anything like this with his uncle before.

“Exactly!” Tara was pleased with how well Chris was able to naturally create the set up. “Now, with the hard part out of the way, the rest should come easily, with one exception.  Chris, Sean, you’re going to see yourselves in this reenactment, and it won’t be pleasant.  You must try to keep your bearing and remember what I told you, and that this is just like watching a movie.  We’re not really here.  We’re just observing.  Nothing can hurt you.  What we’ll see has already been and we can’t do anything to change it.”

With that being said they proceeded to the next step where Chris started the scene off by recalling how she had approached the corner of the alley and then was suddenly taken from behind by a tall athletic boy with short blond hair.  He was able to sneak up behind her and wrap both of his arms around her with one of them applying crushing pressure against her throat which kept her from screaming out.

Dawn was the only one of the four of them to scream out from the startling display of violence, and Chris felt a part of her mind disconnect with what was going on so that she’d be able to see this through to the end.

“That’s nothing,” Chris said, helping Dawn to fully realize that what she saw wasn’t the real Chris. “Wait’ll you see them hit me in the back of the head with the metal pipe.”

“Ohhh,” Dawn moaned, clearly upset with what she was seeing, “This is horrible.”

“Keep your eyes peeled,” Tara commanded. “We need to find out whatever we can about these guys and try to figure out why they were after you.”

They watched as the past version of Chris was harshly dragged further into the shadows of the alley to where his four other partners waited.  Undaunted by the visual affects of the scene Tara boldly walked right up to the faces of all five men and made sure she got a good thorough look.  They were all wearing dark colored trench coats that came down to their calves.  There were three younger lads that couldn’t have been any older than their mid twenties , if that, and then there were two other older gentlemen that appeared to be between their thirties and forties.  There was nothing special about them and nothing stood out that made them seem out of the ordinary, yet Tara was certain that they weren’t human. 

Tara looked over at Sean and saw that he was keeping his distance, and she thought she knew why.  He was afraid of what he was going to see, and she went over to him, offering her support.

Three of the four other men closed in around the memory of Chris and Tara and the others watched as her panic level rose and she was able to wriggle her way out of the grip of the one who held her.  She flipped around and used her mind to send a concussive force of telekinesis at her first attacker.  The man seemed to realize at the last second what she was doing and he tried to dodge out of the way, but he wasn’t fast enough.  He got caught by a glancing blow that sent him spinning into the alley’s brick wall.

At that Chris had started to back up looking for a way to escape and trying to locate the fifth man that she remembered sitting at the table she was waitressing.  The last remaining fellow was one of the older men and she hadn’t seen him hanging back in the shadows.  Silently he came striding up to her from behind with a lengthy metal pipe firmly in his grasp.  He swung it at the back of her head full force and the hollow tube rang with the impact as the image of Chris collapsed to the ground nearly unconscious.

The real Chris standing off to the side with her back up against the wall couldn’t help herself but to wince at seeing the violent impact.  Her hand automatically went to the back of her head where she could still feel where her skin had raised up to form the scar. 

The man with the pipe stepped back with a sadistic grin on his face allowing the other men to close in around her.  He carried himself as though he was the one in charge and the leader of the group, and he settled back to watch what creative methods his followers would come up with to torture their poor helpless victim.  The one Chris had shoved earlier hovered over her with lust filled eyes letting his hand glide up the front of Chris’ body, and violating her with his caress.  His hand stopped traveling at the collar of her shirt which he grabbed a fistful of and gave a sharp jerk down and across her body.  The shirt ripped open with a loud tear leaving Chris’ naked torso exposed with only her bra still remaining to cover her breast.

“Tara,” Dawn yelled at her face, “make this stop!  I can’t watch this.”

Before Tara could console her friend they heard one of the men’s voices say in an aggressive tone, “Hey buddy, get lost,” and their attention was brought back to the scene searching for the source of the interruption.

The men all turned to look down at the mouth of the alley to where they saw the memory of Sean finally make his appearance.  Everything seemed to slow down to a stop and the moment was frozen for an instant.  Chris could feel Sean resisting the memory, and his unwillingness to see it through to the end.  Tara predicted this would happen and she looked up at the real Sean who stood with his head bowed and his eyes tightly closed trying with all his will to deny what happened that night.

Tara reached out with her hand to embrace his forearm and told him, “It’s all right, Sean.  We don’t have to go through with the rest of this if you don’t want to.  At least we got to see their faces.” She turned toward Chris and said, “I guess you can take us out now.”

“No.  Not yet,” Sean objected, which Tara wasn’t expecting.  His face was obviously pain stricken and she could see how torn he was about what he was deciding. “I don’t want to go through with this, but I feel like I have to.  I don’t know what it was, but something about those guys told me they weren’t human, and it set me off.  I changed so fast I didn’t even know I had done it until I was waking up in my apartment.  I can remember that just before I changed there was only one thing on my mind.  It wasn’t a thought. It was more like a basic concept, or an absolute need to do something that felt more important than breathing.  Before I turned that corner I knew I was going to kill them and I couldn’t stop myself.”

“Are you sure?” Tara asked him searching his eyes for his sincerity.

“Yes,” he replied with a slight rattle, and as he spoke the word, motion returned to the scene.

The past version of Sean started to scream his denial at what he had witnessed around the corner, but in mid cry it changed into something much more bestial and terrifying.  In the time it took him to take two running steps forward he had completely transformed his human body into that of a nearly eight foot tall full blown monstrous werewolf with talons and teeth ready to deliver death.

Tara, Chris and Dawn stared completely enveloped in shock and horror at what they had just seen.  Never before had Tara ever heard of a were-creature going through a full transformation with such incredible speed.  She just couldn’t comprehend how a human body could survive such a drastic shock to the system.  There was no grace or beauty to it, no suffering or an agonizing change.  Nothing like Sean’s transformation had ever been witnessed or recorded to Tara’s knowledge.

It looked as though his human form exploded outward in a bundle of flesh and white fur with the shredded remains of his clothing bursting off of him like confetti.  Inside of a split second there was nothing left of the Sean they knew and in his place stood a supernatural force of rage.

WARNING: Beginning of violent scene

Before Chris’ attackers could even fully register what was hurling down the dark alley toward them the werewolf closed the forty foot distance with such blinding speed it was almost as if he had teleported.  His right arm was raised and his elbow was bent behind him so that his palm was even with his massive chest and his deadly talons curled forward ready to impale his first victim.  The man didn’t even have time to lift his arms a fraction of an inch to defend himself before the werewolf’s right hand was driven hard into his chest lifting him up off the ground.

Another stride took the werewolf within range of his second victim where he used his left hand to clamp onto the man’s head crushing it instantly.  Before the cracking sounds of the man’s skull could be heard the giant white beast had extended its right arm tossing his first victim high into the air over the heads of everyone else and into the scaffolding of a fire escape on the side of one of the buildings.  The man’s chest had a gaping section missing and broken rib bones protruding where the flesh had torn off.  If that didn’t end the man’s life then the way his neck twisted around one of the metal steps certainly did.

The werewolf lifted the second man off the ground by his crushed head and swung him like a club at a third before the first one had finished his momentum into the scaffolding.  The third guy was lifted off his feet and knocked back into a wall where he fell to the ground.  Getting rid of the dead weight in his left hand he swung the lifeless body again but this time in an arch over his head and let it hit the third man with a meaty thud.

Within the time span of two seconds three of Chris’ assailants were dead and only two left standing to face their imminent fate.  The werewolf flexed its bloody claws and thrust its huge wolf like head forward bellowing forth an enormous roar that vibrated the air all around them. 

The man thing who had hit Chris over the head with the lead pipe took a couple of steps back while the only other individual left standing prepared himself to strike back.  Something strange happened to the tips of his fingers and they turned a dark black color while they elongated into sharp points.  The werewolf paused a moment, wary of the new danger, but no less dedicated to killing the unnatural creature.

The fourth attacker boldly leapt at the huge white werewolf slashing with a set of his own deadly talons across the belly of the beast.  Blood splashed against one of the walls leaving a splattered trail of red, but the werewolf didn’t even acknowledge the wound and struck with its own slash across the middle of the man.  The wound penetrated much deeper than the one he had received and the skin over his belly ripped open with his innards getting scattered to the other side of the alley.  The fake man stopped dead where he stood staring stupidly down at his fatal wound while the werewolf swiftly rotated his body back bunching himself low to the ground.  He swung at him again coming in low and then lifting his lethal claws in upward arch across the middle of his target, slicing him cleanly from the groin to his neck and lifting him into the air with his head deeply impaled past the tips of his fingers.

The werewolf shook the dead body off its hand with his attention fully focused on the last man standing in front of him.  The beast had positioned himself protectively over Chris’ unconscious form while he studied his final opponent aware that the man wasn’t really a man, but some vile and evil creature wearing the skin of a human.  It had positioned its body sideways using it to block the werewolf’s view of its other hand.  Where Tara and the others stood they could see a pool of black energy begin to build up in its curled darkened hand.  The blackness of it seemed to suck in what little light there was in the area, almost as if it were a miniature blackhole.

While the werewolf was concentrating on what it thought to be the final remaining thing he had to destroy he failed to notice the third man-thing silently slide out from underneath the dead weight of the body with the broken skull. It got to its feet with the same kind of elongated oily black nails as the fourth one had and prepared to strike. 

The muscles of the werewolf tensed as he prepared himself to charge forth in a deadly strike that the man-thing would have no chance of blocking or dodging, but before he committed himself the other man-thing behind him leapt through the air without a sound and impaled both sets of its taloned hands deep into the back of the werewolf.

The beast screamed in surprise and pain and he quickly whipped about in a circle alternating his direction while trying to reach over his shoulder to grab hold of the man-thing clinging to his back.  To prevent himself from getting thrown off he extracted one of his hands which was buried into the white and red speckled fur and threw the arm around the massive neck of the beast and under his maw.  He hung on as well as he could for almost six full seconds before  the werewolf was able to hook two of its claws into the back of the neck and pull the man-thing far enough over his shoulder to where he was able to easily separate its head from its body in one brutal tearing motion.  He quickly yanked the headless form off of his back and refocused his attention onto the fifth and final man-thing, but he was a moment too late.

It lunged with its black glowing hand leading the attack and at the moment the werewolf turned they all witnessed it sink smoothly into the beast’s chest, with the arm disappearing almost up to the elbow.  Tara gasped as sudden realization of what the things were swept over her and at the horror she was about to witness.  She stole a glance at Sean who was watching in shock, and she wondered how in the world he had survived and was still standing with them at this moment.

The werewolf’s body tensed as every muscle in its system contracted and the powerful creature stood there immobilized and helpless in front of the creature.  The thing pretending to be a man relaxed and composed himself as if he had dignity and all the time in the world while the werewolf towered over him like a monumental trophy.  It looked up into the bulging white eyes of the beast and gave it a purely evil and malevolent grin as it slowly began to slide its hand back out.  Out of shear desperation the werewolf tried to move in an effort to break free from the paralyzing grip the thing had over him, but it was to no avail and his efforts made him look more like he was convulsing as if a continuous current of electricity was flowing through him.

As the evil creature got to the point where it had finally pulled its hand out of the body of the werewolf everyone but Tara was surprised to not see a bloody cavity left in his chest.  Instead they saw a silvery blue tendril of light in the grasp of the oily black hand and it seemed to writhe with a fluid motion.

Sean clutched at the spot on his chest where the silvery blue light was coming out of the werewolf and he shared a moment of the pain from his distant memory.

“What’s it doing to me?” Sean struggled to ask.

Without taking her eyes off the scene, Tara reflexively answered, “It’s claiming your soul.”

No sooner had the words left Tara’s mouth did something strange and spectacular happen.  The tendril of light abruptly vibrated with a blurring speed and the intensity of the glow got brighter.  Then it just slipped out of the creature’s hand and snapped back into the werewolf’s body.  It all happened in the blink of an eye, and the man-thing was completely bewildered.

The werewolf didn’t share the same astonished reaction.  He didn’t question what was or why anything happened the way it did.  There was only one thing on his mind, one purpose, and that was to kill the thing in front of him.  There was no delay in his reaction.

In a single fluid movement he clamped both of his huge hands onto the creature and lifted its body parallel to the ground.  Without hesitation he viciously lunged his head and bit down hard onto the midsection, and his mouth closed like a massive vice crushing the soft organs and snapping the spine.  With hardly any effort at all he pulled, separating the body in two, and he threw the pieces to opposite sides of the alley.

End of violent scene

There were no enemies left standing and the white beast tilted his head back releasing a savage victorious roar announcing he still lived.  The unnatural loud noise rumbled all throughout the alley and beyond which instigated several dogs to start barking and even a few brave souls in the distance shouted their inquiries.

Satisfied that he was alone and there were no more dangers present he returned to the motionless form of Chris.  She had completely blacked out before the violence began and now she laid still as if she were sound asleep.  The werewolf bent his head over her taking in her scent and looking over her body for any damage.  He found the ground near her head moist with blood and he gently lifted her head to discover the wound where the pipe had had hit her.  The werewolf stuck his large nose just inches from the split in her skull and used his sense of smell to tell him the condition of the injury, then he proceeded lick the spot a couple of times.

“I guess that’s why you healed up so quickly,” Tara spoke aloud, but Chris didn’t respond.  No one said anything.  They were still frozen with shock at the massacre they had all witnessed, and none of them knew what to say or think.  Tara did not relish the idea of having to deal with their responses, but at least she now had a definite idea of who Chris’ mystery attackers were.

The dead bodies all around began to smoke and bubble, and the werewolf snapped its head up scanning for any potential threat while using his own body to hunch over Chris in a protective stance.  The corpses started to evaporate and melt, turning into a black chunky ichor that continued to bubble and pop.  It all turned into a dark oily liquid that appeared to flow into every crack and crevice it could find as if it had a will of its own.

In the distance the sound of sirens could be heard as they were fast approaching the area.  The werewolf looked in the general direction of the noise and made a low deep growl.  He understood well enough what those sounds meant and he knew this place was no longer safe.  He carefully folded Chris’ arms across her exposed chest and then very gently lifted her up so that he was cradling her in one of his giant arms.  He stood up to his full height looking around determining the best direction to take and it scanned the roof’s edges to the four story buildings on either side.  He took another moment to make sure Chris was tucked in and secured, and then with a powerful leap he threw himself into the air, latching onto a second story window with both his feet and his free hand.  Keeping his momentum he performed a second leap that took him over to the opposite side of the alley and landed neatly on top of the roof where he disappeared from view.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of my concerns with this post is whether or not I made this too violent or unnecessarily too bloody.  Now I'm sure I'll get various opinions based on everyone's different beliefs and level tolerance, but regardless I would still like to hear what you all have to say about it.  As I just mentioned, I'm sure there are people out there who won't agree with this, but I personally was looking forward to actually getting to write this action scene.  I had it planned and outlined for a couple of years and I feel like I hit a very important mile stone getting this far into the story where I've actually have gotten to present the scene in its whole.  I wanted to initially write it the was i wanted to, and that was with the gory detail.  However, now that I've satisfied that "want", I'm now open to the possibility of toning it down if I get enough people telling me that I should.

Unfortunately I don't have the time to add more to this post (it's late I've already passed out at the computer twice, lol) so I'll have to add more to this tomorrow.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-26 07:00:27)

#299 2010-06-25 02:52:06

mrRW

Overall an excellent and very descriptive action sequence.  Should be interesting to hear Tara's revelation/expalnation and see how Sean reacts to seeing his alternate form in action.

#300 2010-06-26 00:52:20

SilentStrider

Okay I have a long night of cutting and pasting tonight so I can clean up the last four story post I made that consist of chapter 12.  I'll also have some new material included involving Sean engaging in a somewhat brief conversation with Dawn and Chris about the supernatural, his uncle and him being a werewolf (did I cram all that in those few pages? Huh... hope it works).  There's also an additional comment he makes to Tara about how when they have a more appropriate moment he wants her to tell him what happened exactly to him out in the woods during his supposed controlled transformation.  It'll be a couple of hours until I can sneak back to my computer tonight, but I'll inform you here in this post when I've completed those updates tonight.

Hey!  Check it out... who ever makes the next post will be number 300, and the start of page 13!  I wonder who will have that honor?! (pre-grats to you ST smile )

All right!  Finally got everything caught up and updated properly.  I went all the way back to the beginning of chapter 12, cut all the story parts out, pasted in the corrected versions in, provided proper indentation to each paragraph, redid my italics, and included some Update comments.  That was actually a lot of work too.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-06-26 07:08:14)

Board footer