The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#301 2010-06-26 02:20:09

SilentTerror

Re: SilentStrider's untitled story

It does not need toning down in the least. I know where your coming from but to give you the heads up, you had me glued to my computer the entire time. When i said that you are able to make people feel like they are in the scene, this is the greatest example in your story to date. I know other people will agree with me, but there is hardly a greater description then this one or shadow wolf's transformation scene. You only have one problem i feel like i have to point out, in post #297 you spell "come" as "com". just pointing that out tongue

hehe, #301!

Last edited by SilentTerror (2010-06-26 02:20:41)

The few, The proud, The Marines. Semper Fi
Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do. -- Airforce Core Values
"In God we trust: All others we monitor" -- 5th Reconnaissance Squadron (5th RS)
"You'd be cocky too if your missile did MACH 2+" -- 2 LAAD (Low Altitude Air Defense) Battalion. Det 26 MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)

#302 2010-06-26 07:21:51

SilentStrider

Chapter 13

The view of the alley melted away and Chris started to feel herself lose her stability.  For some reason she was having trouble maintaining the mental environment she had created.  As soon as she felt Sean tear himself away from the telepathic circle and she caught the trailing edge of him walling up his mind again, she understood full well what had caused the disruption.  The sensation of his hand ripping out of Tara and Chris’ grip made their awareness return to the kitchen table that much faster.

In a blind panic Sean was trying to get out of his seat, but Tara sat on the outside of the bench blocking him in.  Instead he pushed himself over the back, which nearly toppled the chair over with Tara in it, and he bolted for the back door.  Sean yanked the door open hard and threw himself outside, stumbling his way across the back porch.  He made it to the grass before he completely lost his balance and fell to his hands and knees.

Tara was the quickest one to get her wits about her, and she jumped to her feet running after Sean to find out what was wrong.  She got outside and took a couple of cautious steps in his direction trying to determine what was wrong, praying she hadn’t made a huge mistake and instigated a transformation.

His back was hunched and she could hear the sound of vomiting as food and digestive acids came pouring out of him splashing grotesquely on the ground.  Tara had to bite her own tongue to keep herself from joining him.  She had no doubt that it was the wolfsbane petals that had caused this, and once again he was paying the price for doing what she had asked him to do.

Without fear she went to him, hoping she could do something to ease his suffering.  He made a pitiful moan as he finished spitting up the last of what remained in his stomach, and then his body started to shake from the taxing ordeal.  He looked weak and helpless making Tara feel utterly guilty for having put him through this.  Without a thought to herself or whether or not Sean could suddenly turn dangerous, she knelt down next to him putting her small arms around his frame before he could no longer support his own weight.  He nearly collapsed, but she was able to at least pull him over to the side so that he didn’t land in the disgusting puddle he had just created.

Sean fell sideways onto her lap and she did her best to support him while he continued to shake.  He hugged his stomach with his arms and tried to curl up into a ball, but he lacked the strength to bring his legs too far up.

“Is he okay?!” Chris shouted from the door of the house.  Tara glanced up at her and saw that she had only extended her head outside, and she figured Chris was split between being afraid and concerned for what was going on.

“It’s the petals,” she shouted back. “He swallowed them.  He just needs a few minutes to recover from it.”

“Yell for me if you need a hand,” Chris replied and then she ducked back into the house, but she made it so that both sets of doors stayed open.

Tara saw her through the large kitchen windows as she went back to the table to address Dawn who was still sitting in her seat.  It made her wonder if something wasn’t right with her best friend and a feeling of panic started to develop within her.  What could possibly be wrong?

She reviewed the situation in her mind and relaxed slightly once she figured out what had probably happened.  Chris wasn’t used to hosting multiple links and on top of that it seemed she had never walked through someone else’s memory before with such enhanced detail.  She had to give Chris a lot of credit for having handled it all so well, but when everything began to fall apart with Sean’s abrupt departure the disruption caused their connection to disintegrate and Chris didn’t have the proper time to help them readjust.

Basically the break left them all to fend for themselves individually, and poor Dawn had no experience with something like that.  Fortunately the side effects weren’t anything bad, and Dawn was likely in some kind of dream-like state waiting to wake up.  It wouldn’t be any problem for Chris to go back to her and help her mind to reconnect to reality.

“My stomach hurts,” Sean moaned through chattering teeth.

“I know.  I’m so sorry.  I didn’t mean for this to happen,” Tara told him as she petted the side of his face trying to soothe him. “I hope you can forgive me,” she pleaded.

“Did you… learn… anything?” Sean forced the words out of his mouth with his eyes tightly closed as he concentrated on trying to get control over his muscles again.

“Yes I did, and I promise I won’t ever ask you to do anything like this again.”

Sean tried to laugh, but only a choked off syllable came out, “Yea, you’ll just… change the words… around a bit.”

Tara chuckled with a little relief, “If you feel well enough to joke then I take that as a good sign.  You’ll be back to normal in a minute or two.”

“Let’s not try that… again anytime soon.”

Tara just nodded while she continued to cradle his head and rocked him back and forth to help take his mind off of what he was feeling.  She gently shushed him telling him to just concentrate on getting better so that she didn’t have to stay outside for too long in the near freezing cold.  As she sat there with him she watched the display in the kitchen window where Chris was helping Dawn to reconnect with her waking mind.

In no time she saw Dawn’s hair shift as she shook her head from side to side to help reorientate herself.  She watched as Chris spoke some words to her and after she had enough time to get her bearings she flipped her head around to look outside searching the darkness for Tara’s location.  It was likely, with the lights inside being stronger than the ones outside, she couldn’t see where they were, and she turned back toward Chris to engage in a conversation Tara could not hear.

She waited patiently with Sean, all the while watching her other friends in the kitchen.  Tara wondered how the two of them were handling everything they had just seen, and she was really worried about what they thought.  She imagined if she were in their shoes she would at the very least feel disturbed and she used her time trying to formulate how she was going to address them when she went back inside.

Gradually Sean stopped shaking and his breathing was less erratic.  Tara looked down at him and realized he was lying calmly where he was with his eyes open staring at nothing.

“Are you all right?”

“No,” he answered without moving.

Tara stopped stroking the side of his face and looked at him intently waiting for him to elaborate, but he didn’t.  Finally she said, “Talk to me.”

He blinked his eyes, coming back from wherever he had let his mind wander off to, and stood up.  He offered her a hand and she took it allowing him to pull her to her feet.

“Do you want to talk?” she asked again, but he only shook his head while looking down at the ground. “Alright then, but at least come back inside.  It’s too cold to stay out here.”

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last night after I had finished updating and correcting my last 4 story posts, and adding a few additional notes, I didn't feel right having done all that extra bit of work without leaving some kind of continuation of the story, so I decided to go ahead and post what I had completed for the beginning of chapter 13.  It's about 4 to 5 pages long in Microsoft Word (depending on what format and font size it's in), and my usual posts are about twice that many pages in length, if not more.

I'm starting to run into a bit of writer's block so as a way to cope with it, I thought I would try jotting down some of what's going through my head right now.  Originally, in my outline that I had laid out a year and a half ago, I had Sean get up and leave the table out of a great feeling of anger and a sense of betrayal.  Tara's character pursued him out the door and the two of them got into a bit of an argument over the memory flashback they had just seen.  Sean was extremely upset with having seen himself violently kill (what he thought were men at that point) and even more upset that the three of them (Dawn, Chris, and Tara) were witness to it all, seeing just how much of a savage beast he was.  He continued to go on with how he was upset at Tara for having let the memory go as far as it did, and he told her that he didn't want to stay with them any longer.  Sean was choosing at that moment to just walk off and go any which way.

Tara eventually countered him in the argument and flipped it around.  She basically told him that if he wanted to leave then to go right ahead and that if he did so then he would only prove himself to be self centered and only concerned for what happened to him and no one else.  She also emphasized the point of how she had just gone out on the line risking everything to share what she knows for the sake of hoping to protect Dawn and Chris, as well as him.  The last thing she says silences Sean's temperament, and she turned heading back inside to deal with a nervous and scared Chris and Dawn (whom were only able to hear half of their conversation when they raised their voices and were shouting).

Overall I liked what I had planned in my outline, because it contained a lot more drama, emotion, and action, but then as I completed chapter 12 and went straight into the next chapter I just started writing what came naturally.  I got as far as I did and then I stopped, asking myself, "What next?"

I've got a couple of loose ideas that I've been kicking around, but I haven't settled on anything yet and I'm trying to decide how Chris and Dawn are going to react to Tara and Sean separately, because it's still my plan to have Tara go back into the house several minutes before Sean does.

Well that's where I'm at now.  I thought I'd just take a moment to share that with you and see where it got me.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-07-04 08:43:31)

#303 2010-07-01 06:17:34

lonewolf13

I'm back baby, awesome segments by the way. they just blew my mind
smile

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. ...In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth...."
    Alphonse Elric --- Fullmetal Alchemist

#304 2010-07-02 20:42:53

curiousape

I like this, very intriguing and well written
perhaps you should develop the other two girls

if you expect something to happen, it will; whether good, bad or judgmental 
but if you hold no expectations, the world opens up with myriad possibility

#305 2010-07-02 23:56:46

SilentStrider

Welcome back Lonewolf!  It's also good to hear from you again CuriousApe!

I assure you I have definite plans to develop the other two girls.  The main reason they haven't been at this point is because I've been using Tara's character a lot.  Her character knows more of what's going on than the others so I've been finding it useful to rely on her perspective to give my readers an understanding of what's going on in the story.  The next few future chapters will be showing more of Sean interacting with Chris and Dawn, especially now that their true natures have been revealed to one another.

I've been writing back and forth to a couple of fans via emails and I've already broached this subject to them, and now I'm going to mention it to all of you here as well.  I'm coming to a point in the story where I'm going to need some filler material.  Basically what I'm looking to do is to take some mundane situations and put my supernatural characters in them.  For example Sean has never been to church before, and Dawn is a devote catholic who makes it a point to go every Sunday.  I thought it might be briefly entertaining to see Dawn drag him to a Sunday sermon.  He has also never been to the movie theaters or a concert, so since he's lacking in worldly experience that way there's a bunch of things normal people do for fun Sean has never done before.

In case you don't understand why Sean is like that, let me make it perfectly clear here.  He has no memory of his childhood, plus he's been cooped up at his uncle Gregor's manor for the past eight years with only a brief reprieve once or twice.

Any way, back on topic.  This filler material doesn't do a lot to advance the story plot, but it does afford me an opportunity to personalize my characters some more and to give Chris and Dawn more development.  I also figure it might be kind of interesting to give you guys all a chance to make some suggestions of situations you'd like to see these four characters (Sean, Tara, Chris, and Dawn) interacting in.  If you have any thoughts let me know and maybe we can have fun with it.

I'm going to make another story post tonight.  I just have to brush it up a bit and find a good cutoff point before I post it.  It might get done really late, so you may want to check back here in the morning.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-07-03 05:49:12)

#306 2010-07-03 14:29:22

curiousape

excellent my friend, I look forward to reading your post tonight or tomorrow morning
it will certainly be worth the wait
and by the way, when are you going to title your story?
just wondering

#307 2010-07-04 09:11:59

SilentStrider

Sorry about the delay in posting.  After I edited what I had I decided I didn't have enough written to make the cutoff point I wanted within the chapter, so I needed some more time to spend on it.  Just to let you guys know I was up all Saturday night and now it's Sunday morning and I have to be at my weekend job in about one hour.  In other words I didn't get any sleep, so I hope you all appreciate this.

LOL!(Oh no!  I'm sleep deprived and I'm laughing at things that aren't funny)  I've got no one to blame but myself, besides who am I kidding anyway, I must've wanted to do this.  I get into a writing craze and I just don't want to stop for anything, LOL.  Trust me though I'm going to be paying for this later today.  Wish me luck that I get through my day all right.

I also did some minor editing on the previous story post.  Nothing major.  Just a few corrections and rewording.

In reply to your Q CuriousApe, I've got a couple of titles I've been kicking around.  The one I came up with was "Shadow of the Werewolf", but the one a very helpful fan of mine has helped me come up with is, "The Bond".  I admit the second one doesn't have the word "werewolf" in its title (which I was considering would be a good eye catcher if I wanted the book to sell well), but I feel the second title encompasses the overall storyline better.

You guys may not feel the same way, because you don't know the whole storyline and how it will continue on into several other books.  However I think I can divulge the basis of that here without giving away any critical secret plot points, but I'll have to keep it brief because I still have to get ready for work.  In the next few chapters we're going to see Tara perform a magical ritual that will bond the four of them together by giving a small part of their life energy/soul (whatever you want to call it) to each other.  This is something Tara believes will be a temporary affect and she's doing this to help give them all an extra edge of protection against the unknown threat awaiting them in Louisville.  However, something happens and this bond winds up being permanent, and the repercussions will be interesting to say the least.  I still haven't ironed out all the details of what this bond will do to them and how they'll be able to use it, or how future adversaries will be able to use it against them.  Hmmm... the last bit of my previous sentence has got me thinking of some evil possibilities... Mwhaha.

Read.  Enjoy.  Critique.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 13

The view of the alley melted away and Chris started to feel herself lose her stability.  For some reason she was having trouble maintaining the mental environment she had created.  She understood full well what had caused the disruption as soon as she felt Sean tear himself away from the telepathic circle and she caught the trailing edge of him walling up his mind.  The sensation of his hands ripping out of Tara and Chris’ grip made their awareness return to the kitchen table that much faster.

In a blind panic Sean was trying to get out of his seat, but Tara sat on the outside of the bench blocking him in.  Instead he pushed himself over the back, which nearly toppled the chair over with Tara in it, and he bolted for the back door.  Sean yanked the door open hard and threw himself outside, stumbling his way across the back porch.  He made it to the grass before he completely lost his balance and fell to his hands and knees.

Tara was the quickest one to get her wits about her, and she jumped to her feet running after him.  She got outside and took a couple of cautious steps in his direction trying to determine what was wrong, praying she hadn’t made a huge mistake and instigated a transformation.

His back was hunched and she could hear the sound of vomiting as partially digested food and stomach acids came pouring out of him splashing grotesquely on the ground.  Tara had to bite her own tongue to keep herself from joining him.  She had no doubt that it was the wolfsbane petals that had caused this, and once again he was paying the price for doing what she had asked him to do.

Without fear she went to him, hoping she could do something to ease his suffering.  He made a pitiful moan as he finished spitting up the last of what remained in his stomach, and then his body started to shake from the taxing ordeal.  He looked weak and helpless making Tara feel utterly guilty for having put him through this.  Without a thought to herself or whether or not Sean could suddenly turn dangerous, she knelt down next to him putting her small arms around his frame before he could no longer support his own weight.  His arms shook and gave out from under him, but she was able to at least pull him over to the side so that he didn’t land in the disgusting puddle he had just created.

Sean fell sideways onto her lap and she did her best to support him while he continued to shake.  He hugged his stomach with his arms and tried to curl up into a ball, but he lacked the strength to bring his legs too far up.

“Is he okay?!” Chris shouted from the door of the house.  Tara glanced up at her and saw that she had only extended her head outside, and she figured Chris was split between being afraid and concerned for what was going on.

“It’s the petals,” she shouted back. “He swallowed them.  He just needs a few minutes to recover from it.”

“Yell for me if you need a hand,” Chris replied and then she ducked back into the house, but she made it so that both sets of doors stayed open.

Tara saw her through the large kitchen windows as she went back to the table to address Dawn who was still sitting in her seat.  It made her wonder if something wasn’t right with her best friend and a feeling of panic started to develop within her.  What could possibly be wrong?

She reviewed the situation in her mind and relaxed slightly once she figured out what had probably happened.  Chris wasn’t used to hosting multiple links and on top of that it seemed she had never walked through someone else’s memory before with such enhanced detail.  She had to give Chris a lot of credit for having handled it all so well, but when everything began to fall apart with Sean’s abrupt departure the disruption caused their connection to disintegrate and Chris didn’t have the proper time to help them readjust.

Basically the break left them all to fend for themselves individually, and poor Dawn had no experience with something like that.  Fortunately the side effects weren’t anything bad, and Dawn was likely in some kind of dream-like state waiting to wake up.  It wouldn’t be any problem for Chris to go back to her and help her mind to reconnect to reality.

“My stomach hurts,” Sean moaned through chattering teeth.

“I know.  I’m so sorry.  I didn’t mean for this to happen,” Tara told him as she petted the side of his face trying to soothe him. “I hope you can forgive me,” she pleaded.

“Did you… learn… anything?” Sean forced the words out of his mouth with his eyes tightly closed as he concentrated on trying to get control over his muscles again.

“Yes I did, and I promise I won’t ever ask you to do anything like this again.”

Sean tried to laugh, but only a choked off syllable came out, “Yea, you’ll just… change the words… around a bit.”

Tara chuckled with a little relief, “If you feel well enough to joke then I take that as a good sign.  You’ll be back to normal in a minute or two.”

“Let’s not try that… again anytime soon.”

Tara just nodded while she continued to cradle his head and rocked him back and forth to help take his mind off of what he was feeling.  She gently shushed him telling him to just concentrate on getting better so that she didn’t have to stay outside for too long in the near freezing cold.  As she sat there with him she watched the display in the kitchen window where Chris was helping Dawn to reconnect with her waking mind.

In no time she saw Dawn’s hair shift as she shook her head from side to side to help reorientate herself.  She watched as Chris spoke some words to her and after she had enough time to get her bearings she flipped her head around to look outside searching the darkness for Tara’s location.  It was likely, with the lights inside being stronger than the ones outside, she couldn’t see where they were, and she turned back toward Chris to engage in a conversation Tara could not hear.

She waited patiently with Sean, all the while watching her other friends in the kitchen.  Tara wondered how the two of them were handling everything they had just seen, and she was really worried about what they thought.  She imagined if she were in their shoes she would at the very least feel disturbed and she used her time trying to formulate how she was going to address them when she went back inside.

Gradually Sean stopped shaking and his breathing was less erratic.  Tara checked on him and realized he was lying calmly where he was with his eyes open staring at nothing.

“Are you all right?”

“No,” he answered without moving.

Tara stopped petting the side of his face and looked at him intently waiting for him to elaborate, but he didn’t.  Finally she said, “Talk to me.”

He blinked his eyes, coming back from wherever he had let his mind wander off to, and stood up.  He offered her a hand and she took it allowing him to pull her to her feet.

“Do you want to talk?” she asked again, but he only shook his head while looking down at the ground. “Alright then, but at least come back inside.  It’s too cold to stay out here.”

Tara started walking back, but when she glanced over her shoulder to see that Sean wasn’t following she stopped in the middle of the porch.

“Are you coming?”

“I can’t,” he replied.

Tara looked at him, confused and concerned about what thoughts were running through his head.  She had been so focused on what kind of impact everything was making on Dawn and Chris she had failed to consider how Sean might be affected as well.

“I don’t want to see the looks in their eyes.”

“Sean, you do realize those men you killed weren’t human, right?”

“Of course I do!  Maybe I didn’t fully realize it until now, but some part of me knew.  You know what though, it doesn’t even matter, because they looked human, and that’s what they saw.” Sean pointed in the direction of Chris and Dawn who were both standing at the island counter staring out the backdoor looking as though they were ready to run in case he came near.

“They were demonspawn and you merely did what you were meant to do.  You can’t fight that anymore than you can stop yourself from breathing.  It’s in your blood.”

“Like I said it doesn’t matter.  Whenever you or the others look at me from now on you’re going to see that… that massacre, what I’ve done, and the thing I am.   You’re seventy-three years old, so maybe you’ve seen some stuff in your lifetime so that little display of guts and blood doesn’t bother you as much, but I don’t think it’s the same for them.  I can smell that they’re sacred, and right now I don’t think they want anything to do with me.  I don’t blame them.  If I could I wouldn’t want to have anything to do with me either.”

“Sean, you don’t have to…”

“Tara, go!  Just go.  Go ahead and talk to Chris and Dawn.  I’d rather be alone anyway.”

Sean walked the length of the porch to the opposite side of where the kitchen was and as he took the second set of steps Tara was in the middle of asking him not to leave.  He sat down on one of the patio cushioned seats out of view from the kitchen windows and assured her he wasn’t going to wander off anywhere for the time being.  Tara asked him again, but more insistently, and she added the condition to give her enough time to talk to the girls.  Sean didn’t say anything and she didn’t wait for a response.

She headed inside closing both sets of doors behind her and found both her friends staring at her with wide eyes of expectation.  Tara was supposed to be the one with the answers, and right now, more than before they needed her to tell them what was going on and what would happen next.  She studied their body language and agreed with Sean’s assessment.  They were completely removed from their comfort zone and neither one of them had the slightest clue of what they could be dealing with.

“We heard you talking to him.  Is he coming in too?” Chris asked, remaining completely still and looking like she was ready to bolt from the room if Sean suddenly appeared.

“No.  He’s afraid of you two.” Tara’s comment had the immediate effect of making the frightened look leave both their faces to be replaced with confusion.

“He’s afraid of us?!” Chris raised her voice with incredulity. “We aren’t the ones that just tore apart five people!  Holy crap, Tara, and you want us to hangout with him?!  He’s a monster!” She stood up straighter and moved her hands about to emphasize her point.  Her fearful look had melted away into a hysterical anger.

“And that’s why he’s afraid of you,” Tara said gesturing toward Chris with a sweeping motion as if she were introducing her in some grand fashion, “because now you’ll ignore everything else about him and only see a monster.  Never mind the fact that he saved you from getting raped, tortured and having your life torn away from you in the worst way possible.  And never mind the fact that he probably kept you from having a fractured skull or even a concussion.

“You’re defending him?” Dawn questioned her with obvious disbelief. “Okay.  Yea, he did save Chris, and for that I’m grateful, but how can you stand there and justify how he…” Dawn’s voice failed her as she tried to describe what she had seen.  It was clear how upset she was and how she was having trouble coping with the horror she just witnessed.  She took in a deep gasp of air and forced herself to continue, “…he killed those people?”

Dawn’s eyes looked sad showing the pain of having been lied to by someone she cared about .  Perhaps some of that betrayal came from the fact she had thought of Sean as a hero, but now he was a cold blooded murderer.  Or perhaps it was what Tara feared the most, and Dawn was starting to see Tara other than the friend she had known.  Either way Tara knew she had to maintain the situation and somehow get them to see reason she needed all of them together.

“They weren’t people.  They were demons.” Tara spoke clearly and calmly, hoping she could influence the mood in the room and get them to listen to her long enough to at least give all the information so they could be fair with their judgment. “If you go along with the concept that the universe tries to maintain a balance, then the equivalent of angles would be demons.  What you saw in the alley used to be human beings before they were corrupted and had their bodies taken away from them.

“They suffered from an advanced form of possession where their souls had been consumed by the demon attached to them.  A demon can’t support its natural form in our environment so it steals a human body and feeds its existence by continuing to absorb souls and any other life energies it can find.  Nothing is more evil than those things and I pray we don’t have to encounter anymore of them.”

“You said there’s something dangerous awaiting us for when we got back,” Chris stated. “Is it going to be more of those things or something else?”

“I don’t know for sure.  Demons can’t come into our world unless they’re invited, meaning they have to be summoned.  Usually the Summoner tries to use them for information or a specific task, but more often than not they mess it up or the demon tricks them, and escapes; often killing the Summoner.  Once they’re free they create so much havoc and death it’s unusual for them to go unnoticed for more than a couple of days.  It’s very surprising that we saw five of them working together.”

Tara’s voice got quieter and trailed off.  The look on her face told the others her mind was distant trying to work through a problem or study an important detail.  Absent mindedly she wandered over to the bench at the kitchen table and sat down.  Without being consciously aware of what she was doing Tara brought her hand up to her mouth and used it to assist her with chewing on her bottom lip.  It was a nervous habit she did when she was feeling particularly stressed and something uncommon for her friends to see.

“How about don’t go back,” Dawn suggested.

“That’s not an option for us, but it is for Chris and Sean.”

“What do you mean it’s not an option,” Chris interrupted. “It’s real simple.  We don’t have to play this game.  We just go somewhere else.”

Tara shook her head. “No it’s not that simple.  Dawn and I are constantly being watched.  If we exhibit such erratic behavior such as dropping out of college and running off, there will be questions, and before long it’ll be common knowledge that I told Dawn the truth.”

“T, you said before that you’d pay a price for that.  What did you mean?”

Tara looked away from Dawn feeling guilty for having to share this burden with her.  She was her guardian and it was her responsibility to protect her.  She also considered herself her friend and the last thing she wanted was for her to pay the price for a decision she took it upon herself to make.  It wasn’t fair.  Their fates were tied together which Tara figured entitled her the right to know.  She deserved it.

“I was made your guardian not just by the angel, but by the Arcanus too.” Tara could see their mouths opening to ask what the Arcanus was, but she talked over them.  She wasn’t willing to get side tracked with another topic that would further distract from what was important.

“I’ll tell you about the Arcanus later,” Tara intercepted. “For now just understand that they’re a worldwide organization of spellcasters with a lot of clout and we’ve got our own set of laws that govern us.  When prominent members learned I was charged with taking care of you and the circumstances pertaining to that they summoned me to their courts.  I was reviewed and subjected to what felt like an interrogation.  Afterwards they decided it was wisest that I remained your guardian and they gave me a set of rules to abide by ‘for the safety of all’.  I’ve broken the most important one and now it’s only a matter of time until they find out.”

“What’ll happen when they do?”

“I don’t know for sure what will happen, but I’m certain they would take me away.  But we can’t be worrying about that right now.  We have more immediate concerns.”

“Yea, like the werewolf outside,” Chris said pointing in the general direction of where she last knew Sean to be.

“Believe me when I say this Chris,” Tara looked intently at her while she spoke, “if we run into anymore demonspawn, Sean is our best protection, and you should consider yourself extremely lucky that he was there for you.”

“But I don’t want to be near him!” Chris was becoming irritated and the volume of her voice was increased steadily.

Tara pressed the issue by asking, “Why?”

“Because he scares me to death!” Chris shouted back loud enough to surprise herself.  She tried to relieve some of the stress she was feeling with a nervous laugh, but it did little to cover up the tension she was experiencing, and made her feel foolish. “I’m sorry,” she continued speaking more calmly. “I just don’t feel safe around him.”

“Chris, there’s something going on that you’re not telling me.  You and he have been practically at war ever since we’ve known him, and this has got to stop.  If you don’t like the guy, that’s fine, but can you at least learn to tolerate him, because right now we could certainly use him on our side and we need all the help we can get.”

“But you don’t see him like I do,” Chris said with a frown and her brow turning up in the middle creating a very worried expression.

“Then show me, or do something to make me understand.”

Chris strode across the kitchen straight at Tara and did exactly what she had recommended.  She reached her hand out and planted her palm flat against Tara’s forehead.  Tara only had a second to realize what she had inspired Chris to do, and she closed her eyes to prepare her mind for whatever Chris was about to show her.

Images of a distorted landscape of memories drifted in front of her mind’s eye.  When she looked closer she could see the source of the distortion was due to a spider web of cracks that felt as though it penetrated all through what she saw.  Once she had her bearings and was able to comprehend the vision, Chris conveyed to her that this was what she saw in Sean’s mind when she was helping him.

“He’s not stable, Tara, and if he’s able to change into something that deadly…” Chris let her thought trail off, leaving it to both of their imaginations to fill in the blank.

“This isn’t normal.”

“You’re telling me!” Chris understated.

Tara’s experience with telepathy was limited, but she recognized what Chris was showing her.  She knew Sean was struggling with a dual personality disorder and the definition of himself kept on blurring every time he shifted forms.  She expected to see his mental condition strained, ready to break at any moment with his mind buckling under the pressure of which personality would emerge as dominant.  However, what she was seeing looked as though his mind had already been through that state, and someone had gone through the impossible task of picking up all the pieces and putting him back together.  But what did this mean?  Had his werewolf half already broken his mind, and somehow someone had the capability to restore him?

Tara felt Chris shudder and knew that she was picking up her thoughts.  The information she focused on was how Tara had been expecting to see indications of Sean at the brink of losing his humanity and being trapped in an animalistic state.  In other words he would stay in his werewolf form and never go back to being human, and the thought that it could happen at any time frightened her.

“Can you help him?” Tara asked while she continued to stare at the impression of Sean’s mind.

“Are you crazy?!  There’s no way I’m diving into his mind.  It would be like navigating through floating glass where just one accidental bump could break something, and then with the way all those cracks connect there’s no telling if breaking one thing could have a cascade affect or not.  I’m not risking it.”

“Chris, I’m not a telepath per say, but I have a good understanding of what you’re capable of.  You have more raw potential than I’ve seen in almost anyone, you just lack knowledge and the proper training, but I can teach you.  You can help him.”

“Why would I want to?” Chris said in defiance.  Tara could feel her trying to hide her fear of him as well as other emotions.  She knew Chris well enough to guess what was going on with her and she could tell that she was trying to be brave.  Chris was the strong independent type and she couldn’t stand being afraid of something which to her was the equivalent of showing weakness.  Tara understood it wasn’t easy for her to admit to them she was afraid of Sean, but she was still a long way from reconciling those issues.

“Because he needs help,” Tara explained, [i]“and I promised him I would do what I could.”

“Hey!  That was your promise, not mine.  Not my responsibility.”

“Jesus Christ!” Tara exploded.  She wasn’t able to hold back the irritation she was feeling any longer.

â€œWatch it.  Dawn…”

“Dawn can’t hear us right now and your stubbornness is beyond irritating!” Dawn couldn’t tolerate swearing, and for the sake of their friend they both trained themselves to watch their mouths around her.

“Quit thinking only about your petty self,” Tara continued, “and look at the big picture!  Demons found you and attacked you!  Sean saved you, so if they come back they know about the two of you, and they’ll plan their attack accordingly!  He and you are marked, and if demons are involved I can’t ever be to cautious where Dawn is concerned!”

â€œBut they’re dead.  He killed them,” Chris replied, trying to sound hopeful.

â€œNo!  He destroyed the bodies they were using.  That was their connection to this world, but they can return.  Especially if whoever summoned them knows what they’re doing and wants to bring them back.”

“But you said the Summoners usually don’t survive summoning demons.”

“I know what I said, but think about it!  There were five of them working together.  That’s almost never heard of, so whoever is using them most likely knows what they’re doing and will do it again.”

There was a pause in their conversation and Tara finally got control over her outburst.  She immediately felt bad for yelling at her friend and for being too hard on her, and she made sure to convey her feelings to Chris.  She was turning her world upside down and inside out by trying to make her believe that fairytales and monsters were real.  Something anyone would have trouble swallowing, and considering how things were going she couldn’t deny they were actually doing a fair job accepting everything.

“Look, I’m sorry for getting mad at you.  I know you don’t understand these things the way I do, but you’ve got to start listening to me if we’re going to make it through this.  We still don’t know what we’re up against, and if I’m going to protect all of you we’re going to have to stick together.  And yes, whether you like it or not, that includes Sean too.”

Chris didn’t say anything.  She was never one to easily admit when she was wrong but Tara could feel her silent agreement. 

“You have the power to help him. It’s the right thing to do and we could really use Sean on our side.  Plus this is also an opportunity for me to teach you how to manage you abilities better.  It would benefit him and us if we were able to help him.  Wouldn’t you agree?”

There was a great mental sigh, like a warm summer gust as Chris released most of her fears and doubts and allowed reason to override her emotions.  Her reservations were still there, but she had pushed them aside for the time being.  Tara accepted that and knew Chris would do her best to help for now, but she counted on having to address her deeper issues regarding Sean sooner rather than later.

Chris withdrew from Tara’s mind and the mental picture she had set as the backdrop for their private conversation faded.  The first thing Tara noted once the kitchen came back into view was that Dawn wasn’t with them any longer.  Instantly silent alarms went off in her head and she quickly considered where she might be.

Chris was quick to pick up on Tara’s fear and together they scanned the kitchen for clues as to where she had gone.  In the silence they were able to hear her muffled voice coming from the other side of the wall out on the porch.  It was the place where she had left Sean in his sullen mood.  In sudden retrospect she realized Sean may have had an additional reason for wanting to be alone. 

Tara recalled a few stories she had heard of an occasional were using wolfsbane to help them attain their alternate form.  She never had any reason to believe it since all the were-creatures she had ever known or heard of had control of their shape shifting abilities, but then again she had never met anyone in Sean’s particular situation.  She found herself wondering if those stories were true, and how did those supposed weres use the wolfsbane to instigate a change? 

Tara had good instincts, and she trusted them, and at that moment the skin on the back of her neck was getting goose bumps.  She had a bad feeling there were likely side affects to the way she applied the wolfsbane to Sean and she was more than a little afraid for Dawn.

Suddenly they both heard Dawn’s voice yell, “Stop it!” and without another thought they were both sprinting for the backdoor.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hehe!  I know it's evil of me, but I tried to leave this segment on a slightly suspenseful moment.  This will be a break in the chapter, and the next post will pick up with Dawn just before she decides to go outside and talk with Sean.  Honestly I can't wait to see what happens either, since I don't have the exact layout of the scene planned.  A lot of this chapter isn't following my original outline, but it's still getting me to where I want things to be.  I'm fairly certain the next post will end with Sean's full drawn out transformation, but if I've miscalculated how much more I need to write then the transformation scene won't be any further away than two story posts.

Dang.  I just skimmed through what I added to the story and already I've noticed an error.  *sigh*  I'll have to get it latter.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-08-21 14:47:47)

#308 2010-07-04 12:53:02

mrRW

Very intricate web of tension your building btwn those four.  Looks like it will be coming to a great climax!  Keep up the good work!

#309 2010-07-04 13:58:48

lonewolf13

nice job man. keep it up
smile

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. ...In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth...."

#310 2010-07-05 19:21:16

SilentStrider

Thank you mrRW and LoneWolf.  I'm always grateful to read a post from you guys.  I'm also glad to see the intricate layout of the relationship between my four characters getting realized.

You guys don't have to but as I stated above in the previous post I'm looking for some fun suggestions of mundane situations to put these four supernatural characters into.  I figured some of  you guys might have interesting ideas that I haven't thought of.  It's also a rare opportunity for readers to provide their input and to give them a chance to witness their ideas getting recognized.

Also since the title of the story hasn't been written in stone yet that is also open for discussion too.  I don't think I'm going to fully settle on a title until I've completed the first book.  But I definitely want to decide on something before I begin sending it out to publishers to see who is willing to pick me up.

I'm still working on the next story post.  As of this moment I haven't gotten very far into it, but I'm going to try and have enough written to post it by Friday/ early Saturday.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-07-05 19:23:26)

#311 2010-07-08 14:38:08

lonewolf13

have them take Sean to the movies to see the twilight saga
smile

#312 2010-07-10 07:12:59

SilentStrider

I thought I'd give you guys an update while I'm still cognizant.  I haven't completed as much as I'd hope and I'm staying up late again trying to get as much done as I possibly can.  Work was busier than I had anticipated so as a result I didn't have as much extra time as I thought I was going to get.  In addition it's looking as though that werewolf transformation scene is definitely going to be in two story posts from now.  I'm guessing you guys are looking forward to it, but I promise you I'll make it worth the wait, just hang in there.  Hopefully I'll get enough done between tonight and tomorrow to post some more of the story

well, enough chit-chat from me.  Back to work!!

#313 2010-07-11 02:45:28

clairsior818

sorry for not posting in a while, i just had a few deaths in my family, like today, and before that i was just busy with life. so yeah, im now caught up in the story, and i think you should check your spelling there were a few errors, and i am really impressed with the story so far, its working out very well, and im extremely curious as to whats happening next in the story.

"Life is weird, I am just trying to fit in." - Joshua Harper

#314 2010-07-12 13:43:08

curiousape

you must describe exactly how or what Chris is able to do to help Sean and don't forget to humanize him in their eyes, do some fun stuff together like mini golf or something

#315 2010-07-12 21:06:53

clairsior818

you should find a way to introduce the characters Tara Chris and Dawn to Sean's uncle after some climactic event, like a fight with the wolf creature that turned Sean wolfy, or something like that.

#316 2010-07-13 17:53:41

curiousape

good idea i think

#317 2010-07-13 23:04:50

SilentTerror

HI! im back again. I was visiting my dad in california for about two weeks. Its nice to see you added some great additions keep on adding more!

The few, The proud, The Marines. Semper Fi
Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do. -- Airforce Core Values
"In God we trust: All others we monitor" -- 5th Reconnaissance Squadron (5th RS)
"You'd be cocky too if your missile did MACH 2+" -- 2 LAAD (Low Altitude Air Defense) Battalion. Det 26 MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)

#318 2010-07-14 09:56:44

SilentStrider

First, I just want to say that I'm sorry to hear about the deaths in your family Clair.  Such events are never easy to go through, especially when it's someone you've known and cared for.  Please accept my condolences.  Also try not to mar you memory of them with too much grief.  It's important to remember them as they were in life, especially all the good times you may have had with them.  In so doing you honor their lives, and it should also help uplift your mood a bit too.

Welcome back from you vacation ST!  I hope it was enjoyable.  Man, I can't remember the last time I've been on one.  I can never seem to find the time or the money to do so.  *sigh* Oh, well.  Maybe after I complete a book or two, and become a best seller then I'll be able to enjoy the free time to indulge in such luxuries, LOL.  We all have to have dreams right?

As for your suggestion, Clair, that's precisely where I'm leading the plot to.  There will be a very big climatic fight that will feature Bannon (the necromancer from chapter 10 that got locked down in the Arcanus vault with Viasa), the giant werewolf, and a really bad a$$ demon.  All four of my main characters will be involved with that epic scene, and at the conclusion of it is when Gregor will remake his appearance in the story on a more permanent basis.  It'll be a while until I get to that part, unfortunately, and I tell you it's a scene I'm dying to write.  It felt great to finally get to the scenes in chapter twelve, mainly the part where they were all watching Sean's memory of himself as a werewolf tearing through the demonspawn that assaulted Chris in that alleyway.  But, that scene will pale in comparison to the one I have planned, and it's just killing me to have to get through a bunch of other chapters before I can type that one out.  I promise you I'll make it worth it though.

Thank you, CuriousApe.  Miniature golf is an original suggestion I haven't heard yet.  Also humanizing Sean in the eyes of his new friends is a big part of the next couple of chapters, as well as getting Sean to a point where he can understand himself better as a werewolf and manage to heal his psyche to where he no longer has a dual personality.  Eventually he will retain his consciousness while in his werewolf form, but he's going to earn it in a big way first.  There'll be some cheating along the way, but he'll learn it's wrong and not helpful in the end.

Some of the other ideas of what the little group might do together are movies, theme park of one kind or another, aquarium, museum, hanging out at the mall, karaoke, continuing their weekly Friday night dining experience similar to the one in chapter 7, and the whole Sunday church thing.  I don't believe I'll have room for all of theses suggestions, so I'll have to pick and choose and be mindful of how much I include from each of them so as not to drag the story out too far.  I need to just include enough to help the overall plot move forward and to have my characters develop a strong rapport among each other as well as with my readers

Describing how Chris will be able to help Sean's mental condition will be a very tricky thing, mainly because I have to ask myself what can she possibly do that Gregor (who may very well be the most skilled telepath of this world) has not done already?  Chris has incredible potential for a human, and could one day be on par with Gregor's talents as far as telepathy goes, but as of right now she's only just beginning to learn other ways in which she can apply her talent.  Tara will be able to help her by opening up her mind to the possibilities of what she can do, and Sean's mind will be a learning experience for her.  She may even be able to pick up a few nifty tricks by observing what Gregor has already done to aid Sean's mind, and what she learns will become a very vital part to what she can do in the second book.  Sorry I can't add much more to her fate without giving away spoilers to that part of the story.

Now, in regard to posting more material to the story I have to say I'm not quite ready yet to make another post.  I've been wrestling with several bugs in the storyline so far and it has been disrupting my concentration, so I'm going to go back and fix some of those key points.  Essentially there's three major issues, and I'll list them here so you'll know what to look for when I complete those fixes. 

1) In chapter 9 Tara should've noticed Sean's pendant since he had his shirt off.

2) Tara has a unique talent of being able to see people's auras, and she can see the flow of magic in very much the same way.  This is an important detail that I wasn't sure of exactly when to reveal it, but the more I think about it the more I'm convinced it should be made known in chapter 9 as well.  In this way her talent will provide some information about the enchantments on Sean's sword and pendant as well make her aware of other mysteries concerning Sean's character.  She needs to be lead to ask certain questions about him to help the readers understand him better, and for Sean to realize certain things about himself too.

3) I overlooked at what point Chris and Dawn stop calling Sean, "John".  This should be something that takes place in chapter 11 or 12, and it'll probably be the last time he's called by his false name.

Hopefully, making these changes won't take me too long, and once I get them out of the way my mind will be more in the proper state to continue finishing chapter 13.  One of my issues lately has been trying to find the time where I can sit down undisturbed and get into the zone.  I'm hoping that by this weekend I'll be able to get all these things done, and have chapter 13 completed.  Wish me luck!

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-07-14 10:05:58)

#319 2010-07-14 14:32:11

curiousape

well I wish you the best of luck my friend

#320 2010-07-17 14:36:07

curiousape

hello silent strider
how goes the writing?

#321 2010-07-17 14:37:14

SilentStrider

Been a bad week for me, but I'll give you guys an update a bit later tonight at least.

#322 2010-07-17 14:46:37

curiousape

Im sorry to hear that
but I do look forward to your post

#323 2010-07-22 03:03:03

clairsior818

thx for your condolences, i was thinking if you find a way to put chris inside the mind of the wolf and have her work back from there to seans mind you could have her widen and connect mental channels so that sean can access wolf and have control of it anytime, but only if chris helps. that would be his cheating i guess, then during a fight or some other way you can think of, have him see why not turning into the wolf on his own can cause a problem. son yeah, thats all i got right now. ciao!!!

#324 2010-07-23 04:10:14

SilentStrider

I'm sorry I know I said I would post a quick update, but stuff happened and I lost the post I was going to make then I ran out of time.  I've made some more progress in writing this current chapter and I believe I fixed all the things i said i wanted to fix.  If I'm lucky I'll have enough time to finish this current chapter tomorrow or at least enough to make another post along with the couple of fixes to previous ones (of which I will point out).  Life has been hectic and rough, fights (verbal) with the wife, and I've been feeling a bit depressed from it too.  There's more but I'll have to wait till later for time to share.  Also, that's a great idea Clair!  I will seriously think about incorporating that.  Thank you!  I'll add more soon, hopefully by tomorrow night.

#325 2010-08-05 22:45:39

clairsior818

it sounds pretty harsh on you right now, if you continue to have fights with the wife about whats going on, maybe you should force yourself and her to sit down and talk it out, or have her write a letter to you about her feelings about what is going on, and you write a letter to her, that way neither of you feel pressured by the other, and can speak freely on the matter, which leaves the last part where you exchange the letters and read what it says, and that way you know why things are going badly, and you can more efficiently fix the problems... thats the best way to deal with things from what ive seen, based on the way my father and mother, and sister and brother in law deals with each other, it is really the only way to make them figure out their problems and fix them. sometimes in the heat of an argument people will lose their heads, drift away from the real problem at hand and say things with no thought behind them, which creates more problems. so basically to rectify this, you dont argue, you sit down think rationally on your own, and find a better solution. it works for them when they do it, so if it helps you please use this technique!!!

Board footer