The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#326 2010-08-14 05:29:05

SilentStrider

Re: SilentStrider's untitled story

Thank you very much for your heartfelt advice Clair.  I honestly appreciated it, and it's nice to have someone reach out to me.  I have quite a few acquaintances, but hardly anyone I feel like I can turn to and be alright with unloading on them with whatever I've got going on.  True die hard friends are rare.  I wish I had stayed in touch with the few I had growing up, but now it's been so long that I have lost touch with them.  Learn from my mistakes and try to keep in touch with few people you meet during your life that touch your heart otherwise you may find one day how much you regret it.

Arguments are a part of every relationship.  It is a from of communication, and I'm sure we can all agree that communication is important in any positive relationship.  My problem is that I don't deal with the shouting and yelling very well.  I tend to shutdown and I get very unresponsive which makes our arguments very one sided and unhealthy.  I should also probably mention that I'm usually the one in the wrong so I get stuck in the reasoning of "I'm wrong, so how can I rightfully argue in my defense."

Your advice is very good bit, and I think it would prove very useful for me to follow through with it.  I can't recall offhand the last time I wrote a letter to her (I think it was while I was in basic training).  I imagine it would likely be greatly appreciated by her in a couple of ways.

I intended on making a story post tonight, but I've run out of time, and I'm bone weary tired from work and prepping things about the house for the soon to arrive baby.  I'm laying my head down on something softer than my keyboard tonight... I mean this morning.  No promises but let's see if I can throw something up tomorrow.

#327 2010-08-14 12:46:15

clairsior818

you know i agree with you that arguments are part of relationships, but personally i hate seeing people fight, especially when it gets to shouting point, you see, I was raised by Two drug addicts that claimed to believe in God, while still practicing witchcraft in the backyard, worse still my father was abusive, and at all little details he would yell, and in general lose control of his anger, and because of that im very odd, if i get in a shouting which is rare, i start mimicking him, then when the person shouts back im stuck in limbo between scared little kid and angry redfaced redneck, and my brain quits working and i quit trying to argue, more recently ive noticed that i just dont argue cause i know i will lose if im not thinking clearly and me angry is not a very smart person. have a good rest and im waiting ever patiently for your next post. oh and by the way i know what it is like to regret the loss of a friend who was close once before, but im happy to say i got back in touch and my two friends whom i had not spoken nor seen in person in a year and a half still treated me like a brother, and i gained some new friends when i saw them as well, so it was nice. oh and when you are the one in the wrong it usually helps to just force yourself to admit it out loud, because that way, you seem less like the kind of person who believes tat they are right even when they are wrong, in my short experience i have noticed it just makes me look like an idiot if i try and prove im right when i know im wrong, cause i run out of ways to argue pretty quickly... but yeah so good rest and im waiting for a post, bye!!

"Life is weird, I am just trying to fit in." - Joshua Harper

#328 2010-08-21 15:10:59

SilentStrider

I really don't have any time for adding comments at the moment.  I just barely had enough time to squeeze in an update on the story.  I'll check back in later.  Maybe tonight.

Read. Enjoy. Comment.

******************************************************************************************

Dawn sat there watching Chris standing in front of Tara with her hand touching her forehead.  She didn’t really know anything about Chris’ telepathy or how it worked, but she figured it was safe to assume that she was showing Tara something which also happened to exclude her.  She didn’t understand what the big deal was and why she couldn’t be a part of whatever they were doing. 

Sometimes it seemed like the two of them were trying to protect her in one way or another, and it was starting to annoy her more now than ever.  Often Tara would try to steer her away from going to parties and socializing with the “wrong” crowd.  Of course she was always right in some fashion, but Dawn thought it wouldn’t hurt to let loose once in a while until that one time Tara took her to a frat party so she could see what she was missing out on.  Before then she thought Tara was being over protective and slightly mean in not letting her decide things for herself, but afterwards she thought it was more on the cruel side to learn the hard way what crazy and unseemly things actually occurred at such social events.

There were also several occasions when she expressed interest in other boys, but as soon as Chris found out who thy were she would tell Dawn the guy wasn’t good enough for her and that they were usually only interested in her body.  Naturally, Dawn being the eternal optimist didn’t believe it until something actually happened to give the guy’s true intentions away.  There had even been one time she was alone with a boy that was getting a little too bold and she had told him to back off.  When he didn’t, she barely had time to protest before Chris knocked the door down and proceeded to give the guy the beating of his lifetime.

Of course Dawn was thankful for Chris coming to her rescue, but it was also disappointing how she always objected to whomever she expressed interest in.  Because of her she was beginning to give up hope on ever having a decent boyfriend which made her hold a small amount of resentment toward her.  Dawn would never have told Chris and she felt guilty for having such horrible thoughts about her.  At least once a month, if not more, she’d ask forgiveness during her Sunday confession for harboring such ill thoughts toward someone she considered to be a true friend.

Dawn cared a lot about Tara and Chris, and she knew she was lucky to have them, but there were times like right now she felt like things were going on that the tow of them didn’t want her to know about. 

“Hey, you guys, what’s going on?” she asked aloud, hoping they might be able to hear her and offer some kind of response.  Anything would be better than feeling like they were ignoring her.

It was frustrating feeling left out.  Besides why would they be doing this if it wasn’t about her?  Considering that only made her feel more upset, so she decided to head outside and see how Sean was doing.

Without thinking how cold it was she opened the backdoors and stepped out onto the wooden porch searching for where ever Sean might be.  She scanned the darkness of the backyard for where she had seen Tara talking to him last, but she saw no hints of his whereabouts.  Impulsively she wrapped her arms around her body to help ward off the cold and was having second thoughts about trying to find where he had run off to when she saw out of the corner of her eye someone shifting on the opposite end of the porch.

Alerted to the movement, she turned in that direction and saw Sean sitting on the far side of the patio table.  She tried to pretend he hadn’t startled her but she couldn’t deny how much faster her heart was racing all of a sudden. 

“Heya… umm… how are you doing?” She wasn’t entirely sure it was safe to be talking to him, but she figured it was better than being ignored inside.

The moment she noticed him he appeared to be tense and spiky as though he were an animal and his fur had been ruffled the wrong way.  But once she spoke it was as if his entire demeanor shifted so dramatically he looked like an entirely new person.  His shoulders dropped and the lines in his face disappeared as he visibly relaxed.  He looked up at her with his eyes wide in wonderment and he took on an air of innocence.  Dawn had no idea what to make of his abrupt change.

“Are you okay?” she asked while taking a tentative step in his direction.

“You… are…,” Sean started to say, but then he closed his eyes and gave his head a thorough shake as if he were trying to clear his mind. “Oh my God Dawn, now is not really a good time for you to be around me.”

“First off I’d appreciate it if you didn’t swear like that, and secondly what’s wrong with you?”

Sean looked as though he were about to cover  his ears while she was talking, but he gave up before his hands got there and looked back up at her with that same expression of awe.  It made Dawn feel very uncomfortable with the way he was staring like he was some kind of crazy person obsessed with her. 

“Why are you looking at me like that?”

"Because… you’re beautiful.” At first Dawn thought he was pulling some sort of prank on her that she didn’t appreciate and she was about to give him a piece of her mind, but then she recognized how gentle his voice sounded and the look of sincerity he held in his eyes.  He was genuine, but at the same time unnatural.  His comment left her feeling stunned.

“I’m sorry,” he said after a few seconds, and he blinked as if he was just remembering where he was. “I can’t control this.”

She opened her mouth ready to say something, but he quickly cut her off. “Please, don’t say another word.  The sound of your voice is too much.  I… I lose myself in it.”

Dawn looked at him in confusion, wanting to ask him what the heck was going on but she resisted by putting her tongue in her cheek.

“Look,” he started to explain, “I don’t fully understand this myself, but whenever I’m around you and my senses are peeked I can’t control it.  I hear your voice or look at your face and I’m overwhelmed.  It’s like I’m seeing something so incredibly beautiful there’s no words to describe it and I can’t do anything else but be consumed by your image.”

She watched him as he spoke and it seemed like he wasn’t fully coherent similar to someone who was drugged or perhaps drunk.  She wasn’t familiar enough with those type of people to know exactly how they were in real life, but it was definitely clear to her Sean wasn’t behaving normally.

However, she couldn’t believe that just her simple presence was having an effect on him like this so she was getting ready to tell him so, but he saw she was about to speak again and he rushed to talk before she could.

“Please, I know what I said sounds ridiculous, but I’m telling you the truth.”

She paused only for a moment and blinked at him unable to bring herself to believe what he was saying. “You’re right it does sound ridiculous.” Just as before his eyes went wide and fixed themselves on her, and even his lips curled up slightly in a smile.

“Stop it!” she demanded. “Stop looking at me like that!”

Before she realized what she had done the distance between them disappeared as she strode over to him feeling furious and annoyed, and her open hand slapped him hard on the side of the face.  Her hand stung and she stood there in shock.  Immediately she started spouting one apology after another while she made her way around the table to see how he was.  She couldn’t believe she had hit him with enough force to knock him out of the chair, for that matter she couldn’t believe she had hit him at all.

As she made it to the other side of the table and was kneeling down to see how he was she heard the backdoor open with Tara and Chris running out.

“Dawn!  What happened?” Tara shouted while at the same time she ran over to where they were to see for herself.  Chris wasn’t far behind, but she stayed back a few feet trying to make her own assessment.

“I… I don’t know.” Dawn replied, still shocked with what she had done.

Sean started to collect himself and they all stopped with what they were doing once they heard him chuckling.  No one knew what to say and Dawn half wondered if he was losing it.  He sat up and cupped his ear on the side of his face where he had gotten hit.

“That certainly did it,” he said after his initial laugh.

“Did what?” Tara asked, desperately wanting to know if the both of them were all right.

“I think that wolfsbane did something to me.  My senses are in overdrive, and I can’t turn them off.  I don’t do to well around Dawn when I’m like this.  I’m sure I looked like I was insane and it probably upset her enough to slap some sense into me, thank God.” He stopped in his explanation and looked at Dawn. “Is that okay to say?” he said half wondering if he might get struck a second time.

“No, that’s fine, but I’m so sorry.  I didn’t mean to… I don’t know what came over me.”

“It’s alright.  Aside from my ear ringing, I’m fine.  In fact I’m grateful you did what you did.  It feels like it’s taken the edge off whatever affect you have over me.”

“Tell me exactly what happened,” Tara’s serious voice got Sean to sober up and he did his best to share with her what had happened.  A couple of times Dawn tried to add her point of view, but Tara was quick to hush her.

“I know what’s wrong,” Tara said when Sean was finished. “Dawn are you wearing that necklace I gave you, the one with the quartz crystal?”

Dawn almost gave her answer verbally, but Tara was quick to raise her finger over her mouth and caught her before she did.  She gave Tara an exasperated look thinking she was blowing things out of proportion, but she went along with it and nodded her head in answer to the question.

“Can I see it?”

Dawn reached under the collar of her sweater and shirt and tugged on the leather cord until it was completely out from underneath the layers of clothing.  Attached to it was a smoky quartz crystal tightly encased in a net of copper wiring.

Without removing it from around her neck Tara leaned in closer to get a better look at the crystal and she quickly confirmed her suspicions.

“There’s a crack in it.  No wonder it’s not working right.  Come with me,” she indicated to Dawn, “I know I have an extra one or two in my room.” They both stood and Dawn followed her back inside.

“What’s so important about this?  What’s it supposed to be?” Dawn questioned before they fully entered the house.  She still didn’t appreciate the affect her voice had on Sean, and she basically overlooked it.  Tara on the other hand was fully aware and she looked back at him before they disappeared from view.  She saw how his expression went visibly slack and how his face fixated on her the moment he heard her voice.

“At least that’s a good sign,” Tara mumbled to herself which Dawn was barely able to hear.  She was about to ask what she meant by the comment, but once again she was cutoff before she could say anything.

“What were you doing out there with Sean by yourself,” Tara started to chastise her. “Don’t you realize he could’ve unintentionally hurt you?”

“You’ve got to be kidding me,” Dawn retaliated. “Any time I opened my mouth to say anything he turned into complete mush.  I highly doubt he would’ve been capable of hurting me.  And as for the reason I went out there to talk with him, you and Chris shut me out.  I guess the both of you were having your own little private chat using her telepathy, so I felt like you were excluding me on purpose.  Was it because you guys were talking about me?”

“No.  Not at all.” Tara was shocked that she had made Dawn feel that way. “Chris was showing me something about Sean.  It didn’t have anything to do with you.”

By now, both of them had walked down the hall and into Tara’s bedroom.  The floor was soft brown with wall to wall carpet, and the walls were painted with a light blue with the exception of the one to the right.  That wall had a woodland mural that Tara had spent a great deal of time painting in fine detail.  There were trees, plants, and bushes everywhere with a dirt path off to one side that faded into the horizon.  In addition she had also included a few fairies, unicorns and other mythical creatures, some of which were in plain view while others were cleverly hidden within the background of the forest.  Besides the mural the other most prominent feature was a homemade shelf that was a foot from the ceiling and encircled the entire upper portion of the room.  It was jammed full of books of various sizes and thickness and each of them showed signs of having been read more than once.

On the opposite corner from the door, near a set of windows was a dark stained oak the bed with a headboard that had cubby holes filled with books.  In the corner across from the bed was a closet door.  Next to that the rest of that wall was taken up by a wide bookcase with shelves that had been slightly warped by the constant weight it endured from all the books it held.  It was plain for anyone to see that Tara enjoyed reading a wide range of material from romance and fiction to biographies and educational topics.

Near them, on the same wall with the door, was a long desk that had draws down one side and a file cabinet down the other and a swivel chair with armrests positioned in the middle.  The contents of the desks surface were hidden behind a pull down cover that came from the top back and arched down to the front.  Dawn always imagined there was a mess hidden behind the cover, because it was common to see the corners of stray paper sticking out from underneath.  Next to the desk stood a five draw dresser with a bunch of mini stuffed animals, knick knacks and a jewelry box all crammed onto the top surface. 

It was this jewelry box that Tara headed for and picked up, bringing it over to the bed while Dawn continued their conversation. “Then why did you both leave me by myself in the kitchen like that?” she asked, not holding back the disappointment she felt. “I hate it when I feel like the two of you are talking behind my back.  It makes me feel like you’re keeping secrets about me.”

“I’m sorry.  I didn’t mean to do that to you,” Tara said as she opened her jewelry box and began to untangle a mess of necklaces, searching for one similar to what Dawn was wearing. “What Chris did was sudden and she didn’t allow me time to respond.”

“What was she showing you?”

“It was something personal about Sean, and it’s probably not my place to tell you, but since she and I already know, and it would appear we’re all going to be dealing with him for quite a bit longer, then you should probably be made aware of his condition too.”

Tara paused in what she was doing and fixed a very stern look on Dawn. “Sean isn’t exactly well in the head.  I know he seems to be a nice enough guy, but he has issues that he’s dealing with that I’m not even sure he’s aware of, or how serious they are.”

“How bad is he?”

“I think his entire situation is more complicated than I know.  In some ways it can be pretty bad for him if he doesn’t learn to face whatever it is he’s hiding from.  How do I explain this?” she asked herself aloud as she paused a moment to gather her thoughts.

“Basically, from what I understand, Sean has developed two separate egos.  Psychologically he has a dual personality disorder, and in his case the situation is even more amplified because his alternate personality is that of him as a werewolf.  What he’s going through is rare, but not unheard of, and more than likely it’s the result of some type of traumatic event that he’s been through and this is his mind’s way of dealing with that event.

“What often happens to were-creatures suffering from this is eventually one personality has to emerge as dominant while the other gets swallowed and disappears.  Most often it is the animal side that prevails.”

“What does that mean?  Is he going to stop being human and stay a werewolf?”

“Not if I can help it,” Tara said with conviction. “There are a lot of strange things about him that I’m still trying to figure out, and I have the feeling I’m only just beginning to scrape the surface, but I’ve made a promise to do what I can for him, and with Chris’ help I think I can come through.”

Dawn remained silent for a while, imagining what Sean’s issues were like while Tara finished sorting through the necklaces finally freeing one that matched Dawn’s.  She pulled it out closing the lid to the box and held it up with both of her hands offering it to Dawn so she could put her head through. 

“Here, put this on,” Tara instructed.

“What’s so important about this thing?  What’s it supposed to do for me?”

“It’s important because it acts like a filter for your aura, and dampens the affect you might have on people or things that would otherwise be sensitive to you, like Sean has so unwittingly demonstrated.  And what it does for you is greatly increase your chances of living long enough to see tomorrow.”

“Increase my chances of living,” Dawn repeated. “What do you mean by that?”

“Dawn,” Tara said patiently, “I don’t know if you heard me before, but I meant what I said.  There are people and other things of the supernatural order that wouldn’t hesitate to either kill you or use you if they’re given the slightest inclination of what you were.  I can’t even begin to define the jeopardy your life would be in if I didn’t do everything I could to keep your true identity a secret, so I can’t stress to you enough how vital it is for you to keep this on you at all times and to not let anything happen to it.”

Dawn accepted the necklace from Tara and put it around her neck looking as though she felt it weighed more than it did. “I always wore it because it was something you made yourself as a gift for me.  I thought it was supposed to be a symbol of our friendship, but now I feel more like I’ve been tricked.”

“Oh no, no, no,” Tara responded, astonished to hear Dawn say those words.  She sprang up from the bed to stand in front of her and defend the meaning behind her gift. “It’s more than just that.  It took me quite a bit of time to handcraft that necklace and to personally enchant the crystal properly, and it was even harder for me to accomplish it since I’m not supposed to be spellcasting.  This little thing is a symbol of my dedication to you and the sacrifices I’m willing to make to keep you safe.  Not just because I’m supposed to be your Guardian, but because you are the most loving and caring person I’ve ever known and without you the world would be a much darker place for me.  I started out as someone charged with protecting you, but gradually that changed.”

Tara reached for Dawn and gently grabbed the side of both her arms trying to emphasize her feelings. “You are more than just my best friend.  I love you as though you were my own sister and I could never let anything bad happen to you.  I swear it has been absolutely killing me to have been placed in a position where I couldn’t tell you the truth about who I am and what you are, and ever since tonight started I’ve been dreading what you would think of me when I got done telling you the truth.

“I’m still the same person you’ve always known.  Pizza is my favorite thing to eat, doing karaoke with you is the best fun I’ve ever had, and I love curling up for the evening with a good book to read.  The only difference now is that you can add to the list that I’m a Wizard and can work magic, but I’m still me.”

Tara looked at the crystal hanging in front of Dawn and then back up at her face. “That little ornament represents a big sister looking out for her little sister.”

Dawn listened to her and she could sense the truth behind her words.  Tara did well in disguising it but there was more than a hint of fear and hope behind her eyes.  She thought she understood it well enough and guessed she didn’t want all of this to damage the relationship they both shared, but it was more than that.  Tara really did care about what happened to her and she was speaking from the heart.  She was putting herself out on the line, asking for forgiveness and having faith Dawn would still accept her.  It was a prayer she couldn’t refuse to answer and without even thinking she hugged her big little sister.

“We’re still good T,” Dawn spoke softly, and received a tighter hug demonstrating her gratitude.  She could tell Tara had been stressed out nearly the entire holiday weekend and it finally felt good to be able to support her and offer reassurance.  She had suppressed her own worry for Tara believing she’d eventually tell her what was going on.  Although nothing could’ve possibly prepared her for the truth she was still able to face it because Tara cared about her and was only doing what she believed was the best thing to protect Dawn.

Eventually Tara leaned away taking a deep breath of relief while looking up at her with a soft smile and gently whispering thank you. She had feared the evening would’ve put a huge strain on their friendship, but despite the fact she had lied and hid the truth from her best friend Dawn was still willing to forgive and accept her.

#329 2010-08-21 15:53:52

Divine_Striker

big_smile I really like the way you narrate. I'd like to write a bit more like you. Very interesting method of story telling. I was sucked in immediately.

I in turn will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when calamity overtakes you; when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when distress and trouble overwhelm you...

#330 2010-08-21 20:36:58

SilentStrider

Thank you Striker.  I always appreciate hearing from a new reader.  It's very encouraging to hear how you were "sucked in immediately" too.  That's one of the best compliments most authors really want to hear.  Out of curiosity I'd like to ask you if you have read the entire story to date or just a section of it? 

I've been extremely busy with life in general lately, so I haven't been able to make additional posts as often as I used to, but I'd like to let everyone know that I'm still finding moments of stolen time here and there to continue.  It's slow going for now, but I'm sure eventually things will change again and I'll be able to write more frequently again.  Please bear with me and I promise to deliver a knock out tale as I listen to your valued input and advice.

I almost have the conclusion to this chapter ready to post.  I still have to type out another 3 pages or so before I complete it, and then I'll want to proof read it a couple of times.  Realistically I'll most likely be ready to give it to you guys later in this week, but I'll try to get it too you sooner.

I also have a bunch of corrections to post that range from chapter 9 on forward.  That too will take me quite a bit of time to work through the nuances of posting it and making sure the format is smooth and presentable.  I'll let you know when I've added those and I'll do my best to point out the additions.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-08-22 03:30:30)

#331 2010-08-23 03:05:05

mrRW

Hey SS, welcome back!  Interesting to see Dawn take a bit more active role in story.  I must say that I really do find her character to be very intriguing.  Hope to see more soon and good luck w/the baby!

#332 2010-08-23 04:22:51

SilentStrider

It's good to see that I haven't lost you mrRW.  You're feedback is always a great asset to the story.  Thank you!

#333 2010-08-23 17:30:55

Divine_Striker

=] I read most of it and had to post my appreciation.

I in turn will laugh at your disaster; I will mock when calamity overtakes you; when calamity overtakes you like a storm, when disaster sweeps over you like a whirlwind, when distress and trouble overwhelm you...

#334 2010-08-26 20:29:01

clairsior818

this is awesome!!! keep it up!!! you can do it!!!

#335 2010-08-27 14:40:53

curiousape

excellent work silent strider
keep going with it

if you expect something to happen, it will; whether good, bad or judgmental 
but if you hold no expectations, the world opens up with myriad possibility

#336 2010-09-27 13:04:20

SilentStrider

I only have less than five minutes to sneak this post in real quick, and I just wanted to let  you guys know that I'm still alive and working on the story.  I've got a lot of life issues to deal with at the moment that require my time, but nearly every brief minute I've had to myself I've been working on this story even if I don't have any paper or computer to type on.  Currently I've been brainstorming about issues I need to work out in the third book (my mind moves faster than the hands, I believe I've said that before).  I apologize for the lack of updates, but know that when I finally have a permissible amount of regular computer time I'll be making several updates to the story one after another.  I don't mind letting you guys know that some of the numerous things I have on my plate is my wife are about to have our second child soon, moneys always an issue, trying to keep our home (making mortgage payments is difficult with everything in our budget), keeping my job, sacrificing my second job so that I'd have more time at home to do what needs to be done, and I got changed over to working third shift at my main job so there's been some big adjustments there too.  Please be patient with me and I'll deliver more of the story to you guys, my first faithful fans, as soon as my time permits.  The e-mail attached to my name here is still a valid email that I use at my work place, so in the mean time if anyone has any Q's or just want to touch base with me real quick that's the best place to reach me at this time.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-09-27 13:09:05)

#337 2010-09-27 18:09:47

ShadowWolf2010
Website

I'm glad to see you back on the boards, Silent. You have been sorely missed my friend but we know things are rough right now. Take your time. smile

--Tony
"Woof."

#338 2010-09-28 17:24:17

clairsior818

Great to hear from you, good luck, and God bless smile

#339 2010-10-08 20:26:30

SilentStrider

The moment ended with her reminding them they needed to return to Chris and Sean.  When they finally got back outside they found them right where they had left them and they were sitting around the patio table not saying a word.  As was becoming a habit Chris had her seat directly opposite of where Sean was at the circular table.  Both Tara and Dawn were just grateful to see that the two of them weren’t attacking each other.  For a split second Dawn actually wondered what it might be like if they both got into a fight and who would win.

“It’s good to see that the two of you remained civil enough while we were gone,” Tara commented as they walked back up to the table

“Of course I was.  I’m not the…” Chris started to say.

“That’s okay,” Tara interrupted. “I don’t need to hear it.” She knew her friend well enough to be able to anticipate when she was about to say something derisive, and Chris’ lack of objection proved the point.  Dawn took a seat at the table and Tara had it in her mind to sit down as well, but when she looked around the fourth chair wasn’t there.

“Where’s the other chair?” she asked aloud while at the same time scanning the immediate area.

Chris twisted around in her seat and pointed out into the backyard. “It’s out there somewhere,” she said, without offering any further explanation.

Tara followed the direction she was pointing in and searched the darkness for the missing piece of patio furniture. “What’s it doing out there?”

“I was asking Chris how strong her telekinesis was,” Sean answered, “and she was willing to give me a free demonstration on something other than me, of which I’m grateful for.  She tossed it up in the air and it almost went over the barn, but it hit the roof instead and rolled off.  I can see it over there, but I doubt it’d be much good for sitting in again.”

“You threw it all the way over there!” Dawn said in amazement as she too looked in the same direction. “What is that, like three hundred yards?!”

Tara noted how Sean was watching Dawn, waiting for her to speak again and hoping her voice didn’t still carry the same hypnotic power it had before.  When his senses didn’t betray him he closed his eyes and breathed out, glad he wasn’t at the mercy of her voice any longer.  Likewise, Dawn also seemed to appreciate him not being possessed with staring at her with disturbing looks of extreme adoration.

“Chris I think it’s great that you have such an impressive ability,” Tara said, readdressing her, “but do you think in the future you can be a little more discrete?”

“Here.  You can have my seat,” Sean offered as he stood up. “I feel like taking a walk anyway.”

“No need, I’ll walk with you,” Tara quickly changed her mind. “There’s something I want to talk to you about.”

“Uhh, I don’t think that’s a good idea right now,” he said with a look of concern straining his face.  Tara noticed what appeared to be a bead of sweat forming above his brow despite the cooler temperature.  It further supported her theory that he was resisting a transformation and his body was heating up in preparation.

“Will you guys please stop trying to hide things,” Dawn protested. “No more secrets.  I kind of thought that’s what tonight was all about.”

“Dawn’s right,” Tara agreed giving her friend a nod before she turned back to Sean. “I think I’m to blame for how you’re feeling right now.  I think the wolfsbane may have inadvertently agitated a transformation out of you.  Am I right?”

Sean didn’t look anywhere else but directly at Tara’s face.  He didn’t bother trying to disguise anymore the internal battle he was waging against man and beast, and Tara felt like she was able to catch a brief glimpse of the feral strength Sean was temporarily keeping at bay.

“You’re going to change?” Chris and Dawn shouted simultaneously, but the way they expressed themselves was quite different.  Dawn’s eyes lit up in excitement and it was easy to tell that she was thrilled with the possibility of actually getting to witness Sean’s transformation.  On the other end of the spectrum Chris’ eyes widened and her jaw went slack as the shocking realization hit her.  For a brief instant Tara was able to catch a glimpse of the underlining fear she felt toward him, and how horrified she felt with being around Sean’s alter ego.   

“I can’t hold this back,” he explained. “I’ve got to change tonight, but I also know this area isn’t safe.  I’m not familiar with this place,” Sean gestured with his hand, “plus there’s a community of spellcasters not too far away.  Not exactly great for me to be risking this, but I don’t really have a choice now.  Do I?”

Tara looked at him fully understanding and accepting responsibility for the situation she had placed him in. “I can help you,” she said with confidence.

“How?  Are you going to keep me from changing?”

“No, but I can point you in the right direction so that you don’t parade yourself in front of my elders.  You’ll be safe enough, plus I’ll also keep an eye out for you this way when you wake up you won’t be lost.”

“Where are you going to do this?” Dawn asked in anticipation. “Can we watch?”

Both Sean and Tara gave her a stern “No”.  She was taken aback by the double response, and it wiped the eagerness from her face.

“You can’t count on us being safe around him when he’s a werewolf, Dawn,” Tara explained to her.

“But he won’t hurt us though.”

“How can you be so sure?” Tara challenged her.

“Because, he was protecting Chris.”

“That’s different.  He was acting purely on instinct,” Tara attempted to clarify. “When he detected those demonspawn he was drawn to them and it was their presence that forced him to turn into a werewolf.  He would’ve done that regardless if Chris was there or not.”

“That’s not what I mean.  Didn’t you see how he practically stood over her as he fought, and then later when he wasn’t sure if the danger had completely gone he hovered over her protecting her with his own body?  And on top of all that why did he pick her up and carry her off the way he did?”

No one said anything as they all considered What Dawn was telling them.  Each of them thought about it from their own perspective, but none of them could come up with an answer to satisfy her question.

“I’m telling you he was protecting her,” Dawn reiterated her conclusion.

“Maybe he was,” Tara admitted, “but there’s no reason for us to risk otherwise.  Besides I don’t think he’s going to be pleased to se me after he changes.  I tried helping him through a transformation this afternoon which didn’t go so well, and I’m pretty sure the werewolf part of him blames me for what I put him through.”

“What’d you do?” Chris asked

“I’ll tell you guys the details of it later as long as Sean doesn’t mind.” Tara paused and looked at Sean giving him a chance to show her how he felt about it.  He shook his head, indicating he didn’t mind, and she acknowledged it before continuing on. “But, right now I want to help him while I still have the time.”

“It’s going to be a long night,” Tara said regretting the lack of sleep she’d been getting the past couple of days.  Now that the hard part of confessing to her friends was over the anxiety that had been keeping her awake was gone and exhaustion was setting in.  She resisted a yawn before it could stretch across her face and forced herself to start moving back toward the kitchen door. “The first thing I’m doing is going inside to get a jacket and then I’ve got to get something for Sean in order to track him later.”

Tara led the way and all but Sean followed.  Dawn was the last one to head in, but when she realized he wasn’t joining them she stopped and looked back.  He had taken up a position leaning against the deck railing and was looking out into the dark landscape of the backyard.

“Don’t you want to get a jacket too?” She asked him.

Sean smiled at Dawn’s innocence and gently shook his head. “I won’t be needing one soon, so it doesn’t make much sense for me to wear one.”

“Oh,” she replied, not completely grasping what he meant.

“In fact I normally strip down to nothing before I change.  You know, clothes can get pretty expensive after a while.”

“Oh!” This time Dawn got the picture and Sean didn’t have to look to tell she was mortified with the idea of him removing all of his clothes before changing and how she wanted to watch.  She shamefully hurried inside so she wouldn’t have to suffer him seeing her embarrassment.

Sean didn’t have long to wait before they all came back out wearing jackets and looking more appropriate for the colder weather.  He was eager to get going and was ready as soon as the girls stepped outside, but Tara didn’t hesitate in walking right up to him prepared to address something so he waited to hear what she had to say.  Tara reached into her pocket and pulled out a white swath of silk and a pair of scissors which she opened and closed a couple of times so t hat the sound of its metal blades could be heard scraping against one another.

“I require some of your hair.”

“What for?” he asked looking warily at the tool she brandished in front of him.

“So I can keep track of you and so you don’t wind up lost after you change back.  Don’t worry, I’m sure after you return to normal it’ll be like it was never missing.”

Sean raised his eyebrows with reservation, but after a few seconds he shrugged accepting the idea.

“If it’ll work then go ahead.” Before he could reconsider he leaned forward so Tara could have an easier time of reaching the top of his head and she snipped off some hair behind his left ear.  She collected it onto the white silk she held in her other hand.

“That ought to do it,” Tara smiled with the amount she had.  She folded the piece of cloth around the white hair Sean donated and was very careful not to lose a single strand.  She tucked it away into her jacket pocket as she turned to Chris and Dawn telling them how’d she rather they stay at the house out of harms way while she escorted Sean to a relative safe location.

“Absolutely not,” Chris answered in a sharp and decisive tone.

“Excuse me, but that wasn’t a request.”

“We’re coming with you,” Dawn joined in and Tara got the distinct feeling the two of them had a quick private discussion about what they were going to do during Sean’s transformation.

“I thought I already told you both it’s not safe.”

“Yea you did,” Chris agreed, “but you also said that you did something to piss off his werewolf side, and like Dawn pointed out he was trying to protect me.  If whatever you’ve got in mind doesn’t work then it might be better if I’m in between you two.  I figure he’ll be less likely to go through me to get to you.”

“But there’s no telling for sure how he’ll behave or how dangerous he might be.  I can’t guarantee I’ll be able to protect you.”

“Tara,” Chris used her name in a very obvious tone as she pointed in the direction of the barn where she had thrown the patio chair earlier. “Chair.  Hello?  I think I can hold my own if need be.”

Tara stared back at her considering Chris’ words and she knew she wasn’t going to budge from her decision.  She had valid points and if the situation did turn dangerous then her telekinesis could indeed come in very handy.

“Do I get a say in this?” Sean asked pointedly reminding everyone he was present and the subject of their conversation

“Nope,” Chris responded without glancing at him and keeping her gaze firmly fixed on Tara.

“Fine,” Sean said impatiently as he pushed himself away from the railing and headed down the deck steps. “I’ll let you guys work out whatever details you want, but I need to start moving.”

It was evident to Tara how he had been trying to put off the inevitable change she imagined was clawing at his insides.  Time was running out for him and it was going to happen regardless of what anyone else did.  He didn’t have the luxury to wait for whatever they decided and she certainly wasn’t going to let him leave on his own.

“Okay, come along then,” Tara conceded to the others, and they all followed after Sean.

He walked at brisk pace across the wide open field toward the woods and was eager to put as much distance between him and the house.  The girls had trouble matching his stride and had to jog every now and then to keep from falling too far behind.  As they drew nearer to the line of trees Tara did her best to ask discreetly if the other two would be kind enough to give him a bit of distance for the sake of decency.

Naturally, Chris couldn’t resist asking, “Why do you get the free peep show, and we don’t?”

“Bah,” Tara responded waving Chris away and giving her a discouraging look. “Just do it,” she said and ran after Sean catching up to him while the others maintained their current speed allowing themselves to fall back about fifty feet.

“It’s okay,” Chris shouted after her, “I didn’t really want to see him naked anyway.”

“Chris!” Dawn said aloud, more than a little embarrassed for what she was suggesting.  Her reaction only served to make Chris snicker softly while they both stood there watching the darkened silhouette of Tara talking to Sean from a short distance away.  They could make out the sounds of their quiet voices but they weren’t able to hear anything clearly enough to understand what was being said.

Tara came walking back to them soon enough carrying with her Sean’s clothes neatly folded and tucked under one arm and his sneakers in her other hand.

“Ooo, Tara’s working her womanly wiles,” Chris openly teased.

“Chris, stop it,” Dawn protested while at the same time trying to tuck her chin down lower and hide her smile so as not to undermine herself.

“Wow, Dawn,” Chris continued, “if you turn anymore red your face is going to start glowing brighter than Rudolph’s nose.”

Tara seemed immune to her humor and she stood in front of Chris directly addressing her. “I’m going to need your assistance after Sean is done transforming.”

She took note of Tara’s serious disposition and waited to hear what else she had to say.

“I want you to see if you can create a telepathic link between me and Sean’s werewolf self so that I can try to warn him which direction is safe for him to roam in.”

“I thought you had some other plan for this,” Chris said, uncomfortable with the unexpected suggestion.

“I do, but this would work better and it’ll make tonight go along a lot smoother if he’s willing to listen.  Look I realize that you’re afraid of him…”

“I’m not afraid of him!” Chris snapped.  Her abrupt reaction shocked Dawn, but Tara kept her bearings and was unaffected by her sudden aggressive response.

“Chris, I’m not arguing with you nor do we have the time.  I know you well enough to recognize what you’re feeling, and you don’t have anything to prove in front of me to validate your courage, but please don’t just listen to me, but hear what I’m saying.

“It’s really important that when his werewolf persona first becomes aware of us that he doesn’t sense fear.  If we stay calm and don’t act frightened then he’ll be more likely to accept a mental link with you.  It might also make him willing to trust us in the future too.”

Chris processed everything Tara told her and looked inside herself gauging if she could do what was being asked.  She was never one to back down from a challenge if for no other reason than pure stubbornness, and she wasn’t about to do so now either.  She steeled herself and gave Tara an affirmative nod as well as promising herself she wouldn’t let them down.  No sooner had she given her answer did they hear the first cry of pain from Sean.

The sound of it split through the night air silencing all the background noise they hadn’t realized was there until now.  The crickets stopped their chirping, the nightingales went silent, and even the current in the air seemed to cease moving making everything around them stand with an unnatural stillness.  It affected Chris the most and for a second her resolve was shaken, but she compensated by forcing herself to think about her friends.  She needed to protect them and she adjusted her attitude accordingly taking a couple of steps forward to be between them and Sean.  Her attention was focused on the spot where he was now on his hands and knees dealing with the pains of his transformation.

They could see his shadowy shape alternating between moments of stiffness and grotesque spasms that stretched his current form.  The eerie quiet that had settled around them served to amplify every sound Sean’s transformation made, and they could hear his joints popping and realigning themselves while his bones remade themselves to support a much larger from.  In between his screams his shape continued to grow in a somewhat disproportional manner becoming larger and heavier with increasing muscle mass.  It was hard to see clearly the finer aspects of his change since the moon was barely a sliver in the sky which amplified the affects of the darkness, but during all the disturbing sounds he made thick hair was replacing the smooth surface of his skin and the fresh coat of white fur appeared to make it slightly easier to see his new massive form.

At one point he actually managed to rise straight up standing several feet taller on legs that hadn’t completely changed into a wolf’s digitigrade foot, and he arched his back throwing his arms out wide while screaming into the night air.  In the midst of his nightmarish display his face cracked and stretched pushing outward to form the muzzle and head of a wolf.  The agonizing yell he had started with became a frighteningly powerful roar that trailed off into an eerie howl as the last of the air was pushed out of his lungs.  The creature Sean had become managed to take a couple of steps toward the woods, furthering his distance from his unwanted spectators before his misshapen legs caused him to stumble back to the ground where he writhed some more in the midst of the final stages of his torturous transformation.

The girls were riveted to their spots unable to turn away as they watched and listened in horrified fascination while the unbelievable happened right before their eyes.  Even though Tara had seen a couple of transformations before, it was quite different seeing it happen to someone she personally knew, and it left her as speechless and paralyzed as the other two girls.

Gradually the beast Sean had become stopped thrashing about and laid still in a massive heap on the ground.  None of them spoke and they all watched, frozen, waiting to see what the werewolf would do and how it would react to their presence.  The mound of fur rapidly rose and fell with each breath while the exhausted creature laid there recovering from the physical strain.  Finally the monstrous shape rolled to his feet in a fluid motion right where he was so that he faced the girls. 

He stayed in a crouching position with his hands on the ground staring straight at the three of them.  His golden feral eyes captured what little light was present and reflected it back at them with an intense unblinking stare, evaluating his present company to determine if they were a threat or not.  Slowly he rose to his full height in an intimidating fashion and expressed himself as a dominant presence.

Softly Tara whispered, “Okay Chris, let’s see if he’s willing to listen.”

Chris heard her, but she wasn’t able to follow through.  She knew she was supposed to use her telepathy to contact the mind of the monster in front of her, but she couldn’t process anything other than her fight or flight instinct.  She wanted to run back to the house and lock the doors behind her despite how unpractical the idea was, but since she knew that was hopeless the only other thing she could think of doing was lashing out offensively and telekinetically shoving the thing as hard and far away from her as she possibly could.  She had enough awareness of the situation to know neither of the two options were what was being asked of her, but she couldn’t clear her head well enough to act accordingly.  She wanted to be anywhere else other than there and she closed her eyes unable to cope. 

She knew her emotions weren’t allowing her to act rationally so she employed a similar trick to what she had done for Sean earlier and detached herself from her feelings, shoving them to a distant part of her mind so she was no longer at their mercy.  When she opened her eyes again she was calmer and more in control, and understood clearly what was expected of her.  With a purely neutral mind she extended her awareness toward the werewolf in front of her and tuned into its thoughts.  For a brief moment she felt a cautious resistance on his part, but sensing no apparent aggression from her he allowed her to make mental contact with him and waited to see what the strangers wanted to communicate.  She felt like his mental presence was the equivalent to an avalanche hanging over her head held at bay by his will alone.  He was strong and sure of himself and had the strength of mind to more than just kick her out if he so desired.  He made sure Chris understood that if she provoked him he’d have no problems severing his side of their connection and likely hurting her in the process.

Chris thought it wise to make her intentions clear and shared with him using her mind that the short Wizard wanted to convey information with the intentions of keeping him safe and out of harms way.  She could feel a strong dislike from the werewolf directed at Tara, but he took no aggressive action nor did he reject Chris’ presence.  He was simply letting her know Tara was not someone he welcomed, but he would remain long enough to hear what she had to say.

Satisfied with the response she told Tara, “He doesn’t like you but he’s willing to listen to you.”

Tara nodded her head accepting his mood without blaming him.  It was understandable in light of recent events, and she considered herself fortunate enough he was agreeable to hear her out and not attack her.

While maintaining her connection to Sean’s werewolf persona Chris reached her mind out to Tara, who was already prepared, and included her into the telepathic link.  Tara’s mind flowed evenly and smooth as a steady stream of cool water and she projected confidence without making any challenging overtures toward the werewolf.

She knew she was less than welcomed and wanted to get her point across to Sean’s alter ego as quickly as possible before he decided to bolt.  She raised one of her arms and pointed to her left nearly following the borderline of the forest.  As she did she projected images of her elders and warned him that there were many spellcasters in that direction making it a dangerous place for him to wander.  She then raised her other hand and pointed it toward the thick of the forest angling it to the right and she let him know that area was relatively safe and no one would bother him there.  She held her pose for a short while letting him evaluate her honesty and the message she presented before she lowered them, and all he did was watch.

Tara fully expected him to take off running either before she was able to finish what she wanted to say or immediately afterwards, but instead he continued to stand where he was, remaining very neutral and keeping his intentions a mystery.  Eventually he seemed to relax and he slowly lowered himself down to the ground and into a crouch.  Gently he tipped his head back, angling it up in the direction of the moon and emitted a howl that started off with a very low pitch.  Gradually the sound increased steadily in loudness and force, but never to a point where it became irritating to the ears.  It was as though the werewolf was expressing itself in a deep mournful cry to the moon and his voice sang with an ethereal quality that for some reason tugged on her heart with the faintest hint of sadness.  Never before had she heard anything like it, and she found herself captivated by the wild beauty of it.

Faster than her eyes could process what she was seeing, the white beast disappeared into the forest without a trace of where he had entered it.  Not a single leaf or branch swayed to indicate it was disturbed by his passing.  The only thing he left behind was the ghostly echo of his howl as it faded away into the night.

“Where’d he go?” Chris asked suddenly, glancing to her left and right and even behind her.

Tara reached into her pocket and dug her fingers through the swath of silk until she felt the hair she had taken from Sean just minutes ago.  She held it between her fingers and concentrated on what she knew Sean’s aura to be like and within a few seconds she was able to intuitively sense his direction and approximately how far he was.  She couldn’t help but to feel shocked when she realized he had already made it more than a mile away from them and he was still making distance.  Tara assured Chris of his location and they were all more than a little impressed by it, but Tara was also disappointed.  If he could make it that far in such a short period of time it wasn’t going to make her job any easier of having to go and collect Sean from wherever he finally ended up.  She feared she had a long night ahead of her and a sleepless morning.  With that dreadful thought in mind she started to head back to the house fully intending on drinking several cups of coffee to ensure she kept her promise to Sean.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-10-12 13:41:48)

#340 2010-10-10 13:37:14

mrRW

Great addition.  Very cool to see the 'tourtuous' transformation from the girls point of view.  I also thought the way his werewolf persona reacted to the situation was very interesting. 

Hoping for more soon and again, Welcome back!

-rw

#341 2010-10-13 13:54:26

clairsior818

haha nice segment!! It was good, i liked the way you descibed the mind of the werewolf almost as if the training that sean had also affected his werewolf persona making it above average in mental capacity big_smileD

#342 2010-10-14 14:19:21

SilentStrider

Thankyou both for your continuous feedback.  Once again I wish to appologise for not updating more frequently, because I realy want to.  But like I've mentioned before life has been limiting my time for story writing greatly.  One bit of great news is that the wife and I recently got new phones and I can actualy use it to type out my story. :-)  so I'm able to get a lot of brief momments to snatch of writing time.  I'm writing this post right now with my phone!  How cool is that!

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-10-14 14:21:36)

#343 2010-10-14 21:54:23

clairsior818

:DDDDDD thats awesome man, whatever you can post whenever its all cool, we all have a lot of things to deal with in life, its completely fine if you can't always post immediately :DDD

#344 2010-11-15 22:55:26

SilentStrider

Hey to all you werewolves out there!  I'm just letting you all know that I'm still alive and I still check back here periodically.  I have the next chapter about 90% complete, but I'm not sure when I can post it yet.  I have a lot of stuff requiring my attention else where.  I just wanted you all to know that I'm alive and still writing.  I hope I haven't lost too many of my readers yet.

#345 2010-11-16 00:55:25

ShadowWolf2010
Website

Never lost a one smile

--Tony
"Woof."

#346 2010-11-17 18:10:55

clairsior818

Hey, I am alive and kicking... Until My last twitch I promise to be a faithful fan of yours :DDD
That is one of my solemn vows.

#347 2010-11-17 19:54:59

balbo
Website

Great ...just awesome, i love it, keep it going mate

#348 2010-11-17 21:07:51

mrRW

Good to hear from you and great to hear your making progress!

#349 2010-11-30 00:45:52

SilentTerror

The Cole Trains Back Baby!!!

The few, The proud, The Marines. Semper Fi
Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do. -- Airforce Core Values
"In God we trust: All others we monitor" -- 5th Reconnaissance Squadron (5th RS)
"You'd be cocky too if your missile did MACH 2+" -- 2 LAAD (Low Altitude Air Defense) Battalion. Det 26 MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)

#350 2010-12-02 23:27:52

SilentTerror

What happened to all the activity!? There used to be at least one new post a day. Its been four months since ive last been on and only one page... about 3 new updates to the story. I was hoping for you to at least say welcome back hmm

The few, The proud, The Marines. Semper Fi
Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do. -- Airforce Core Values
"In God we trust: All others we monitor" -- 5th Reconnaissance Squadron (5th RS)
"You'd be cocky too if your missile did MACH 2+" -- 2 LAAD (Low Altitude Air Defense) Battalion. Det 26 MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)

Board footer