The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#201 2010-04-08 00:07:32

SilentStrider

Re: SilentStrider's untitled story

Okay I went back and revised the addition with Sean using his sword-chi and rather than conducting an imaginary battle with a future villain that's supposed to get introduced much later, I adjusted the scene to include two non-important imaginary warriors, and emphasized Sean's meditation with the sword.  I also wrote in a partial transformation for Sean and him exploring heightened senses on a level in which he has never experienced before.

I still have to spend the time to alter the conversation that happens between Sean and Tara afterwards, so you can expect to see those changes get posted tomorrow.

Well, let me know what you think.

#202 2010-04-08 02:13:34

mrRW

Great edit!  Nice ow you were able to combine an element of the original fight scene idea w/the the partial transformation scene.

Few grammatical things to go back over but overall more good work. 

The white fur/extra hair is a cool touch and gives your werewolf a slightly original look IMO.  Also explains Sean's white roots.  Maybe he'll go w/a shorter white buzz cut style now that he knows whats going on?  haha Could be an interesting touch/development though.

#203 2010-04-08 02:59:33

SilentStrider

Thanks mrRW!  Your comments and appreciation is always a well received gift.  I'm keeping the post brief because I'm still trying to squeeze in some extra time editing since everyone else is asleep and I can work without interruptions.  I'll definitely have the next edited post up by tomorrow night after I get home from work.  I'm eager to get this over with and move the story forward.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-08 03:00:12)

#204 2010-04-08 13:56:56

curiousape

please you have to post more
continue your narrative of Sean

if you expect something to happen, it will; whether good, bad or judgmental 
but if you hold no expectations, the world opens up with myriad possibility

#205 2010-04-09 03:11:48

SilentStrider

At first I was planning on taking this segment and editing/erasing the original and then pasting this one in its place, but then I saw all the extra comments that I had added to it plus all the additional posts that were made in response to it, so I decided to cut and paste this revised addition into its own post.  I'll come back later tonight to add a couple of questions at the end later tonight, but for now I just want to post this with a few really fast bits of editing for visual presentation.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 9

“How long have you been watching me?” Sean asked Tara as soon as she was close enough where he wouldn’t have to shout.

“Long enough to see you go through three or four patterns and to appreci… whoa!  You sure look different.” She stared at him in surprise as she continued to close the distance between them.

“What are you doing here?”  Sean inquired, not bothering to disguise how annoyed he felt about her presence.  He stood up without taking his eyes off of her, sheath in one hand and pulling his sword up out of the ground as he rose to his full height.  Sean’s partial change had also added a couple of inches to him, and although it wasn’t much, It was definitely sufficient for him to feel a difference.

Tara must’ve recognized Sean’s change in stature as well, because she drastically slowed her last few steps toward Sean and stopped at about ten feet from him.  By now she could clearly see the angry look he wore, and the way he bore it looking in her direction left no question in Tara’s mind that she was the source of his displeasure.  She continued to gaze upon Sean with a degree of innocence, as though this was her first time ever seeing a were-creature in an altered form.

“You look, um… very white,” she said, ignoring Sean’s question and remaining fixated on his appearance.

“Yea I do.  Stop gawking and tell me why you’re here.” Sean’s voice sounded deeper, and the last few words managed to merge with a low growl that came from the back of his throat.  The soft sound was foreboding and it got Tara to snap out of her daze and to take Sean more seriously.

“I saw you through the kitchen window running into the woods with your sword, and you didn’t seem too happy.  I was worried about you so I came out to see if you were okay.” Tara looked him over for clues as to what had set him off, but when her eyes found his sword she stopped her searching.  She became fixated on the exquisite blade that Sean held at his side, pointing downward in a nonthreatening pose.
“I’m touched,” he told her coldly, bothered by her scrutinization.

“Where did you get your sword?” she said, spontaneously changing the direction of the conversation.

“It was a gift.” Sean’s anger grew as his voice got quieter.

“May I see it?”

He stared back at her with a very hateful look and didn’t say a single word.  Tara lifted her eyes from the sword he held and locked gazes with Sean.  She didn’t allow his height, bestial look, or his dangerous growls to intimidate her, and she stood her ground, unwavering, staring straight back.  In the back of Sean’s mind he did feel a small amount of respect for the little Wizard, being able to express her confidence in light of the obvious danger Sean was portraying.  He knew he didn’t really want to hurt her, but if he continued to stay within close proximity and the tension of the situation kept on building, he wasn’t sure if he’d lash out at her impulsively. 

The silence between them grew until finally Sean raised his scabbard and sword in to the space between the two of them and in a dramatic display he slid his weapon into its home.  Sean added to the sound of the metal sliding into place a whisper.  His reply was one word, “No.”

“This is serious though,” she told him with strict concern. “If your sword is enchanted then I think it’s leaking.”

“Leaking?  What do you mean?” Sean asked, dismissing Tara, and redirecting his concern to his katana.  He raised his sword in front of him looking for anything unusual to show him what exactly she was referring to, but he saw nothing different. 

Seeing his confusion Tara offered clarification. “Who ever did the enchanting didn’t do a very good job, because whatever properties they gave it are now starting to become unstable.  If nothing is done with the energy that’s gradually dissipating eventually the enchantment will collapse creating a violent burst of energy, likely destroying your sword.  It’s unfortunate, because from what I see, it looks like a very special gift.”

“It’s supposed to do that,” Sean told her, displeasure returning to him to where it was at a mere second ago.  It was none of her business, and the fact that she continued to poke her nose where ever it didn’t belong fed Sean’s growing dislike for her.

“What?” Tara said, clearly confused as to why anyone would willingly allow an enchantment to become unstable.

Sean didn’t bother answering her, but instead held the sheathed weapon up in front of him so he could look closely at the two remaining black opals that were mounted around the opened slot for the sword to slide into.  Sure enough, one of them had turned bleach white.  For Tara’s benefit, he made a show of popping it off, and it came out with surprising ease the moment he touched it.  When he applied it to one of the empty moon sockets of the sword’s handle, the stone set itself as though it had been instantly glued.  Tara stood there watching in amazement, as though she was seeing and understanding much more than Sean was.

“Brilliant,” she simply muttered. “The magic gets its structure based off of your interaction with the sword, and when it finally acquires a stabilized form you seal it with one of those stones.  That one was blue so it contains some form of divination, but the other one already on the hilt is white… for healing?  Why would you enchant a sword with healing properties?”

Sean looked at her quizzically and double checked the color of the altered stone he had just set in the hilt.  Sure enough it was pure white without the slightest hint of blue, so he didn’t understand why Tara made a reference to it looking blue when it clearly didn’t.  He stared back at her and saw how completely mesmerized she was with his katana. 

Unfortunately this only served to further his irritation and he walked forward rudely clipping her as he went.  Tara’s small frame was no match for Sean’s, especially with the extra mass his body had apparently developed, and the slight contact was enough to knock her off balance, sending her spinning to the ground.  She threw her hands down in time to catch herself, and managed to land in a sitting position.

“What the hell is wrong with you?!” Tara looked up, shouting at him with frustration.  Despite her current situation the anger that she displayed still managed to somehow make her look threatening.  Sean thought she was very brave and confident, or completely ignorant of the potential danger he could be to her.

“What’s wrong with you?!” Sean shot right back raising his volume over her complaint. “Do you have trouble sleeping at night?”

“Oh, that.” Tara immediately lost the heat in her voice, and quickly continued. “I wanted to talk to you about that right away,” she said as she sprang to her feet effortlessly, “and if you’re taking as many pills as I think you are then you need to stop.”

“What?” Sean said in dismay. “Who are you to tell me that, and how the hell can you know enough about me to determine what’s good for me and what’s not.”

“I think I know enough to see that you’re addicted to them, and believe me, I know an addiction when I see one.  I’m only trying to help you, and if you’re truly sincere about wanting to learn how to control yourself when you’re in your werewolf form then I need you to lay off of those pills.  It’s not healthy for your mind, and that’s the part of you we really have to work on.”

“You don’t understand.  I need them so I don’t dream.  I need them for my own sanity’s sake.”

“If you want them back I’ll give them to you, but it’s going to make my helping you a lot more difficult,” Tara told him solemnly.

“I’m not so sure I even want your help anymore, Tara,” he told her with a quiet anger lingering in the background of his voice.

“Why not?”

“Because, I don’t feel like I can trust you.”

Tara tilted her head slightly to one side and looked at Sean not understanding fully where he was coming from.

“Oh come on!  Is it that hard to figure out?!” Sean gave her a second to consider and then continued to spell it out, making it perfectly clear. “You tell people that are complete strangers to me that I’m a werewolf.  You sneak into my room at night and steal my pills without a thought as to what that might do to me.  When we first met I recall you distinctly telling me that if you felt like I was threat that you’d have no problem what so ever in getting rid of me and you kicked my leg that night when we were all eating together.”

“Are you mad at me because I kicked you?” she said in astonished disbelief, and she struggled to hide a hint of laughter.

“The point is you haven’t exactly treated me well, nor have you given me much of a reason to trust you.”

“I kicked you because you were lying to me.  I don’t like it when people I care about lie to me, so you might actually take that as compliment in disguise.  If you don’t want me to give a damn about you then go ahead and lie you head off.  You protected the life of someone I care about, and all I wanted to do was to try and show you a bit of gratitude and do something nice for you in return, but if you don’t want my help then just say so and let’s be done with this here and now.”

“What about you telling the Cormicks about me without us discussing it first.  It shows a lack of respect, and a makes me doubt whether or not I can trust you.  How do I know you won’t go ahead and tell someone else at your own discretion?”

“The Cormicks are like my family.  I’d trust them with my life.  They had a right to know who and what they were accepting into their home.  I couldn’t in good conscience let them exist in ignorance that you’re a werewolf, especially with what they have been through.  For what it’s worth though, I do apologize for not telling you first.  Maybe I should have.  But ask yourself this, if I did, would you be here now?”

Now it was Sean’s turn to be taken aback by the words Tara spoke.  It was possible that he was being too critical of her and although he didn’t agree with her method, she was very dedicated to trying to help him the best way she knew how.  He sighed deeply trying to release the agitation he was feeling, so that he could deal with Tara more calmly and with a clear head.  She was highly intelligent and seemed to be well informed with everything else that was going on.  He needed to keep his mind stay sharp whenever he was dealing with her, and allowing his emotions to cloud his judgment wasn’t a smart move on his part. 

Sean had seen into the nature of her soul and he knew that if she counted you on the list of people she cared about then she was more than worth it to have in your corner against whatever you were facing.  She was the kind of person that was dedicated and loyal, perhaps even to a fault, but she would never abandon a friend no matter how grim the situations may seem.

“Look John, I really do want to help you, but I can’t if you’re not willing to trust me, and if you’re going to resist me at every turn then it makes what I’m offering to do increasingly more difficult.  Work with me and I promise you I can help.”

Sean wasn’t able to deny cringing slightly when he heard his false name spoken out loud again.  It sounded awful and outright unnatural every time he heard it, and he absolutely hated it. 

“I want to trust you Tara, but you don’t make it easy when you do the things you do.” Sean could feel the edges of his hatred toward her beginning to wear away and he instinctively released another sigh to help get rid of the spiky emotions that clung to him.  He didn’t really wish her any harm, but she didn’t help matters with the forceful way she treated him.  In addition it wasn’t always apparent to him where Tara was coming from, and that confusion had a horrible impact.

“That’s fair enough.  You deserve me treating you better than the way I have been and I promise you from here on out that I’ll make that true, but I’m going to need a promise from you in return.”

“What do you want?” Sean asked guardedly.

“Trust me.” She made her request short and simple, free of any complications.

Sean still felt like he needed to add one more conditions so he said, “I’ll trust you if you count me as a friend.”

“You can be my friend if quit bitching about everything.”  Tara didn’t try hiding her smile and she let Sean see for himself that she was making a playful comment.

Sean considered briefly about continuing the line of banter but his mind got stuck on calling her what she had just accused him of doing, and he didn’t like how those words tasted in his mouth, so he resolved it by sharing a laugh with her.

“Come on, we need to head back, but first you need to uh… get rid of all this,” Tara told him, gesturing casually at his appearance.  Sean looked down at himself to gauge how bad it was, and felt his white fur was less dense than it was before.  Even the tightness of his skin was beginning to relax little by little and he knew that he would gradually revert back to being human over a short period of time, so he shrugged away any concern that he might have had.

“Nah, I think I’d rather not go back.”

“Yea, you did leave the house like you were mad for some reason.  Do you want to talk about it?”

Sean didn’t know what it was, but no matter how mad he was with Tara, in the end she always found some way of settling him.  It reminded him of how persuasive his uncle could be with his words and how easily he inspired the trust of others.  For a brief moment he entertained the thought of how amusing it might be to watch the two of them get into a debate over something.  Sean dropped the thought for another time and refocused his attention back on Tara.

â€œDo you see me as a monster?”  he asked seriously.

â€œWhat inspired that question?” Tara said, searching for further detail into what had upset him.

â€œI feel like that’s how everyone sees me here.” His voice hinted at the feeling of rejection that crept back into his mind.

â€œI assure you, you are definitely not a monster,” Tara spoke with confidence trying to inspire Sean to feel better.

â€œThan what am I?  Am I even human?”

â€œNo, you’re not that either,” Tara said with a mater-of-fact tone.

Sean was a bit surprised by her comment.  For a split second he even wondered if she meant it to be hurtful, but it was plainly written on her face that she was trying to lead Sean down a different line of thought.

Curiosity got the better part of him and he took the bait. “Then what am I then?”

â€œThere’s a simple answer to your simple question,” she told him with a dramatic pause making him hang on her words. “You’re a werewolf.”

In response he raised his eyebrow in disbelief that such a simple answer could console him.

“This is part of your problem with accepting yourself,” she continued after seeing his reaction. “You’re not human.  You’re not an animal or a monster either, and it would help you to stop seeing yourself in those terms.  You’re a werewolf.  Nothing more.  Nothing less.”

They stood there in silence for a while as Sean absorbed the deeper meaning of what Tara said.   It was simple and without the complexity his emotions fed into it.  Sean’s mind seized upon the nature of those words and allowed it to seep in deeper.  I amazed him how such a plain explanation, stripped from any additional words could make such a profound difference, but there was something there to be sure.  A hidden jewel of truth that if he took his time to sift through his own thoughts he was sure would reveal something profound within himself. 

However, despite the seed of hope Tara had so cleverly planted in his mind, he still didn’t feel like he would find acceptance with the Cormicks.  Doubtful thoughts entered his mind again and he found the idea of returning to their home to be quite uncomfortable.  He considered how much happier everyone there would feel if he just didn’t return.

“I don’t think I should stay here,” he told Tara.

Tara muttered something so low under her breath that Sean couldn’t make out a single word, even though he was standing right next to her.

“What did you say?”

“I said ‘Why do you say that?’” Sean was sure that’s not what she had said since it lacked the appropriate amount of syllables, but he let it slide and continued their conversation.

“Because, of how everyone else is treating me, like I’m some rabid animal that has to be kept in chains.  I feel like you’re the only one who even tries to understand me.”

“Only me?  What about Dawn?” Tara countered.

“Dawn?!  She’s the only one here who doesn’t have a clue what I am.  She makes me feel like I’m the wolf in sheep’s clothing and she’s the trusting lamb that doesn’t know any better.  I’m sure if she did though; her reaction would be much the same as everybody else, if not worse.”

“I wouldn’t bet on it,” Tara said, shaking her head, doubting Sean’s opinion.

“It doesn’t matter.  The point is everyone is acting like they have to be cautious around me, like I might change at any moment and hurt them.  I’m not really welcomed here so I might as well leave.” Sean shrugged his shoulders believing there was nothing Tara could say to alter his view, and what was would never change no matter how she tried to portray it.

“Please don’t go.” Her voice was soft and quiet, and Sean swore he could detect a hint of sadness.  Sean was astonished by her heartfelt plea and knew that her request was genuine.

“Can you at least give me one good reason why I should stay?”

“Let’s see…,” she began as she organized her thoughts and prepared to convince him otherwise. “First, I promised I would help you, and that would be kind of hard to do if you weren’t here.  Second, you can’t always run from your problems and this is something that’s going to be reoccurring everywhere you go.  This is the best time for you to learn how to cope with it.  Third, Dawn would be pretty mad at me for letting you leave.” She gave her last reason with both of her eyebrows raised as if she was reaching for additional excuses, and hoping it might accumulate to be enough to convince him not to go.

“And, fourth, it’s Thanksgiving.  If you can’t be with your family then you should at least be with your friends.” Tara gave a final sigh, showing she had no further reasons to give and she looked back at Sean hoping she had been persuasive enough to change his mind.

“Do you mean what you said?  Do you consider me a friend?” Sean asked the question to verify what he thought was the most important reason she offered.

“Yea.  As long as you consider me one too.”

He nodded his head in quiet agreement and afforded her a gentle smile as his reply.  He looked down at the short Wizard and wondered just how far this new friendship would go, and he dared to hope that he’d be able to keep it alive as long as possible.

He checked the condition of his body and sure enough just like he had suspected it would, the extra white fur on his chest and arms had thinned out and disappeared back to its normal state.  The extra muscle mass had also degenerated and his pants felt like they fit properly once more.  Sean’s loss of additional hair and his lack of activity suddenly made him aware of how cold the temperature was, and right away he looked to the side for where he had left his shirt earlier.  He quickly found it, shook the dirt off, and pulled it over his head as quickly as possible before he could fully register just how cold his skin had become

“Okay.  Let’s go back, and see how everything plays out,” he told her, but the way Tara stared back at him gave him pause. “Something wrong?”

“Your hair is completely white still.”

“Huh?  You mean the hair on top of my head,” Sean said instinctively reaching up to touch it as if he’d somehow be able to verify the color just by the feel of it.  Foolishly he let his hand drop knowing he didn’t need confirmation, because this wasn’t the first time something like this had happened to him.  Often after he had spent a night out allowing himself to run free as a werewolf, he’d wake up later in his human form with his hair reverting back to its pure white color.  To Sean it always seemed unnatural and he hated it, so he would constantly use hair dye or on a few occasions shave himself bald.

“Can’t you change it back or something?” Tara asked seeing how he was beginning to look helpless.

“No.  This is my natural hair color,” he replied unhappily.

“Oh.  I did not know that.”

“I can’t go back looking like this,” Sean said, stressing his point by running his hand through his hair, wishing he could make it change colors.

Tara let out a bubble of laughter. “Oh, the dilemmas of a were-creature!  What are we ever to do?”

“It’s not funny,” Sean tried countering but seeing Tara’s smile and hearing her laugh was too much.  He couldn’t resist its infectious affect and an unwitting chuckle got away from him.

“It’ll be okay,” she reassured him. “If anyone asks we’ll just tell them you bleached your hair.”

“No one’s going to believe that.”

“After they take one look at you… yes they will.” Tara laughed again thinking the big bad wolf was actually cute in the way he acted concerned over some personal sense of fashion.  Then looking at him more seriously she said, “You know, it’s actually not a bad look for you.”

“Are you serious?” Sean said in disbelief.

“Yea!” Tara insisted, unable to keep the smile off of her face. “What did I say before about quittin’ your b*tchin’?  Now come on and let’s go back.  I’m pretty sure everyone is waiting for us, and if we don’t get back ASAP then all that food is going to get cold and you and I will be in the dog house.  You may be comfortable in there but it’s no place for me.”

“You know, those cheesy dog jokes are really starting to irritate me,” Sean told her with resolve, trying not to let her see him smile. “Please, stop it.” Sean locked his gaze with her to show he meant what he said, but she kept grinning back at him, barely containing more laughter from escaping her lips.  Sean bit his tongue in an attempt to push back his own mirth.  Seeing Tara in this rare mood was a privilege, but he didn’t want to make it habit forming where the jokes were always at his expense.

Tara continued to stare back at him with that perceptive mind of hers and even though Sean was hiding his reaction she could see it in his eyes that there was a part of him that wanted to laugh as well.

“Nope.  Not seeing it.  Besides, you shouldn’t make it so easy for me to ruffle your fur the wrong way or else I may want to do it more often.”

Sean tilted his head forward hoping to hide the smirk that crept across his face.  He shook his head side to side saying, “Unbelievable,” and then he muttered something about last words.

“You certainly know how to put me in a good mood,” Tara said happily. “I think I’ll keep you around.”

Sean just chuckled, still shaking his head.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First I want to apologize to anyone that has read this before I made a couple of corrections.  I had some really obvious spelling errors.  I was a bit too hasty in posting, because I'm just as eager to let you guys read what I come up with as some of you express your eagerness to read it.

I don't have a lot of time so I'll keep this brief.  I was talking to some friends about writing techniques, and what not, and the topic of story characters offering comic relief came up.  This got me to wonder has anything I've written in this story so far has gotten my readers to smile, or even laugh?  I was especially wondering if at the end of this last post with Tara and Sean talking did anyone find themselves sharing a laugh or two with them?  I wasn't trying overly hard for that affect, but I know as I was writing it I did feel it tickle my funny bone a bit, and I thought it was kind of funny.  What do you guys think?

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-09 12:29:13)

#206 2010-04-09 03:58:22

lonewolf13

*yells into bullhorn* mmmmmmmmmmmmoooooooooooooooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
please
smile smile smile smile

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. ...In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth...."
    Alphonse Elric --- Fullmetal Alchemist

#207 2010-04-09 23:30:18

SilentTerror

Silentstrider, God stop it! I feel as If I'm in the story with your writing style. It makes you tense when it's tense and it makes you feel like laughing. I can't remember actually laughing but I've definately. I did see quite a few grammatical errors bUt nothing large. I love the rewrite you perfected the perfect (if that's even possible) I love the addition and a partway transformation greatly fits into the story, love it! Nothing is forced and the dialogue is extra smooth cNt wait for more!

The few, The proud, The Marines. Semper Fi
Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do. -- Airforce Core Values
"In God we trust: All others we monitor" -- 5th Reconnaissance Squadron (5th RS)
"You'd be cocky too if your missile did MACH 2+" -- 2 LAAD (Low Altitude Air Defense) Battalion. Det 26 MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)

#208 2010-04-10 00:01:38

SilentStrider

I don't normally do this before at least giving it a good once over, but I think it's written well enough so that it's at least readable.  I'll try and make it back here late tonight to fix up whatever errors I have, but for now please try and overlook them.

Read, Enjoy, Comment! smile

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

*****************************************************************************************

Sean was in the dining room helping Lily with cleaning up by eating some of the leftover food where there wasn’t enough to make it worth saving.  Dawn and her mother were on the other side of the breakfast bar in the kitchen making quick work of washing the dishes, soaking the pots, and putting covers on everything so that it would stay fresh.  From two rooms over Sean could hear everyone else watching the ending to a football game. 

He never got into watching sports of any kind, so he had no idea who was playing and only knew a little bit about the rules.  He found it to be more entertaining to watch from a distance  Joe’s, Tara’s, and Chris’ reaction to the game.  The three of them cheered and jeered and got quite boisterous at times.  Chris was the most expressive of them all, sitting on the edge of her seat, constantly waving her hands around, and occasionally jumping up with a sound of victory.  Sean thought her overdramatic actions were silly and it amused him to watch the show she put on.

Before last night it seemed as though Chris was actually starting to acknowledge him and was beginning to show willingness to work out their differences.  But all that had changed when she suddenly tried to read Sean’s thoughts against his will.  It bothered him that she had been so forceful and he supposed that most people would consider it a major violation on the same level as rape.  But, Sean found himself being more concerned for her than himself and only wished he could understand from where she was coming from and why she behaved the way she did.

All throughout dinner and afterwards it was evident that she was still quite upset by their encounter last night, and she was doing everything she possibly could to keep her distance from him while at the same time acting cordial and showing a good face to everyone else.  At the dining table she sat at the opposite corner from where Sean sat, and the second someone else was getting ready to leave the table she asked so quickly if she could be excused that it was hard to say who was actually left first.

Judging by the way Tara kept most of her attention on her friend, Sean knew that she had to been able to pick up on the fact that something was bothering Chris.  He even believed that it was likely Tara was able to connect the source of Chris’ agitation with him.  However, based on the occasional glances she shot his way, he doubted she fully understood, which meant Chris probably hadn’t told anyone of their private encounter.

On the bright side Dawn’s parents appeard to be treating him better, or at least they were putting  on a good show of being more hospitable to him.  Lily no longer acted distant and afraid of him and Joseph seemed as though he was even making more of an effort than before to treat Sean as a human guest instead of a stray animal that could potentially be dangerous.  It made him wonder what had changed and if anyone had said something to them to make them be more mindful with how they treated him.  If so, then it was likely Tara that had done something to change their attitude toward him.

“You’re still eating?!” Sean heard Dawn’s voice from over his shoulder.  He looked down and realized he was absently holding the serving bowl of stuffing and was shoving great big spoonfuls of it into his mouth.  He moved away from the archway he was leaning against, where he was able to look through the sitting room into the family room to see the others watching the game.  He couldn’t respond right away with food in his mouth, so he looked at Dawn who was leaning over the bar, and shrugged his shoulders. 

“I think you ate more than my dad,” she said in dismay. “Where did you put it all?”

Sean forced himself to swallow his food so he could speak. “I was just hungry.”

“I think you were more than hungry.  I’d say you were famished.”

“From what your dad said,” Lily added as she came up alongside of her daughter and set down two dessert pies, “John’s a hard worker, so he probably earned his appetite.”

“Oh yea,” Sean added, “by the way, I just have to say that this is probably the best tasting food I’ve had in my entire life.”

“Why thank you Sean.  It’s nice to know that my culinary skills are appreciated.”

“Awww, come on mom,” Dawn protested, “didn’t we all say during grace that we were thankful for the food?”

“That’s not the same thing as saying that you’re thankful for the cook who made the food,” Lily told her daughter.

“Mom you know that there’s nothing like your home cooking.  I would rather eat anything you made than what I get at college.”

“I know you would sweetie,” Dawn’s mother reassured her, reaching around with one arm to hug her, and then turned back into the kitchen to retrieve the other dessert dishes she had made.

Dawn came around the kitchen side of the bar walking behind Sean to pick up his plate. “Are you done with this?” she asked.

“Yea, but I’ll take care of it.  I just wanted to finish emptying this bowl then I was going to bring it all to the sink.” Sean tried to scoop the remainder of the stuffing into his mouth, but still had at least one more spoonful left before he could say he finished it.  As with everything else the stuffing was made from scratch and Lily had added spices, herbs, onions, and bits of mushrooms reminding him much the same way Rebecca loved to cook.  It had been a long time since he had heard from her or anyone else from the manor.   He rather missed them and hoped they were safe and well.

“Relax, you don’t have to choke yourself trying to swallow your food,” Dawn told Sean as she watched him struggling to chew the oversized bite he had taken. “I’ll wait for you to be done.”

She watched his face while he chewed and the moment stretched on.  Sean felt it get increasingly harder to gulp down what was in his mouth as it got drier and drier.  The delicious bread crumbs started to turn into a paste-like substance and Sean felt for sure if he tried to send it down his throat he was going to choke.

“I can’t believe you did that to your hair,” Dawn said quietly, looking at the space above his eyes. “It’s going to take time to get used to.”

Sean reached around her, picking up his half full glass of water, and used that to assist him in moistening his food enough so he could swallow it.  It was starting to feel awkward with her standing there, and not being able to say anything.

“What made you want to do it?”

Sean hated when questions like those came up and he felt like he was about to dance a very fine line of the truth.  He hated lying.  It was despicable and Tara was a fresh reminder that it wasn’t alright for him to treat a potential friend that way. 

“It just, umm…,” Sean quickly searched for something to say, “…feels more natural.”

“I always thought that bleached hair would look worse, but somehow it doesn’t really look like it damaged your hair.  Can I touch it?” Dawn asked, purely interested in the impossibility of what she saw.

Figuring it wouldn’t hurt anything Sean told her, “Okay.”

Holding Sean’s plate with one hand she raised the other to his temple and sank her fingers into his hair.  She slid them forward and back getting a good feel of the texture and Sean was pleasantly surprised at how nice it was to experience someone else running their fingers through his hair.  Concerned that her touch might be too intimate he lifted his glass to take another sip, and she pulled her hand back so she wouldn’t interfere.

“What do you think?” he asked.

“It feels so natural,” she said finding it hard to accept. “I can’t believe it would look and feel the way it does after bleaching it.  You must’ve done something else.”

Sean stared at her trying hard to find some way of not having to get into an involved conversation about the condition of his hair. 

Just then the doorbell rang, and everyone stopped what they were doing, wondering who would be visiting this late on Thanksgiving Day.

Joe was the first one to respond and got up out of his lazy boy recliner before the sound of the doorbell faded.  He moved calmly toward the front door as Lily put a cake plate down on the counter and headed there as well.  Sean watched Joe carefully as he approached the door, peeking out the decorative small window at the top.  When he stepped back with a smile on his face Sean instantly knew it had to be someone he recognized and was happy to see.

Lily got to the door just as her husband opened it and said, “Etienne, it’s so good you stopped by.” Instantly Lily’s face brightened in surprised delight, and the look in Joe’s eyes showed an increase joy at seeing his wife’s happy response.  Tara also came running to the door with an equally joyful expression, but showed restraint before she stepped out of the family room, trying to hide her elation.  Tara’s peculiar actions served to increase Sean’s interest in who their mystery guest might be, and he wondered what their connection to Tara was.

“Hi, Lil!  Hi, Joe!  I can’t stay long but I was in the neighborhood and thought it just wouldn’t be right if I didn’t at least stop by and wish you all a happy holiday.” Joe did his best to hold the screen door open for their guest and allow her to pass him into his home.  Finally Sean was able to see the woman who possessed the recently soft spoken voice, and she was nearly as short as Tara.

She was wrapped up warmly in a dark grey heavy cloak with a hood that rested across her back, and at first the only thing Sean could see about her was her head.  She had brown hair, a tan complexion and a face full of delicate features.  Her eyes were a dark brown and looked as though they were used to being wide open, reminding Sean very much of a wise old owl.

After she took off her cloak, of which was an uncustomary article, Etienne handed it to Joe and the rest of her small frame was revealed.  Her hair was long and straight and was long enough to extend well past her lower back.  It was the same chestnut brown color as Tara’s except Tara’s hair was forever  cursed with waviness, this woman’s hair cascaded down her back and over her shoulders like a water fall.  She wore an emerald green dress with a high cut and it came all the way down to the ankles of her black shoes.  The cuffs and the hem were lightly decorated with a narrow strip of worn out gold embroidery

Lily stepped forward and gave the short woman a hug in greeting. “I’m so happy you were able to make it,” she told her.  Sean was able to see her whisper something else close to her ear, but he wasn’t standing near enough to make out what was said.

Lily stepped back and told her guest that they were just about to have dessert and she insisted that she at least stayed long enough to eat with them.  Etienne returned the cheerful looks that she was greeted with, and she gave Tara an extended smile, as though she wanted to do more, but for some unknown reason she couldn’t. 

Together they all moved back into the dining room, and as she passed by Sean to take a seat he was able to get a good look at the side of her face.  Although her eyes weren’t staring directly at him he could still feel something ageless in their depths, which was a very similar feeling he used to get whenever he dared to look into his uncle’s eyes.  If it wasn’t for her eyes and the mature demeanor she presented herself with she could easily be mistaken for a young adolescent.

Everyone took a seat and settled down at the table while Lily handed the dessert plates to her husband and he in turn passed them around the table.  Working together the table was soon filled with an amazing assortment of pies, cakes, and other sweets.  As a matter of some unsaid courtesy they all waited for Lily to take her seat and have first choice of what she wanted to eat.  Once she sank a serving knife into the apple pie the rest of them felt free to make their own selection, and Sean was more than happy to be the first one to have a slice of pumpkin pie.

Dawn had taken a slice of pumpkin pie as well, and after her first bite she made sure to tell her mother how delicious it tasted, which inspired everyone else to join in with their praises.  There was pumpkin, cherry, and apple pie, all of which was still warm, an assortment of different types of cookies, two different cakes, and even ice cream available in the freezer which more than a few of them had with their slices of pie.  They all dove into the desserts and managed to put a large dent into it. 

While they ate, the conversation at the table didn’t reveal anything significant to Sean, and Joseph, Lily, and Etienne talked mostly about the locals and the on goings of the town.  Sean kept himself alert looking for clues about Etienne’s nature, but other than the obvious fact that Tara knew her as well and tried pretending as though she didn’t, nothing else made her look like she was other than normal.  Still something tickled the hairs on the back of his neck, and Sean refused to accept the false impression that was being presented.

For the most part no one else had much to add to the conversation, and they all took their time enjoying their food.  To the amazement of some Sean still had room for each kind of pie, a bit of cake and at least four cookies before he declared himself full.

“Are you sure?” Lily teased him, “Because we still have a lot of food left.”

Sean took the comment in good spirit saying, “No thanks.  I think I finally reached my limit.”

Out of nowhere Joseph asked him “Do you like hotdogs, John?”

“Yea, there okay,” Sean responded unsure where Joe was leading him.

“Remind me the next time we have a county fair to invite you along, because you’d be a sure bet at the hotdog eating contest.” His comment stirred up a few laughs from everyone, including Sean.

After their brief laugh Etienne pointed to the corner of the room near where the hutch stood displaying the many knickknacks and delicates that the Cormicks had collected though the years. “Whose sword is that?” she asked, and immediately Sean had the uncanny sense she was a spellcaster of some kind, and feared the possibility that she could be related to the Arcanus as well.

Sean tried disguising the caution he felt and responded by telling her, “It’s mine.” Etienne’s eyes fell upon him and Sean met her gaze calmly.  She didn’t stay focused on his eyes for long, but it was long enough for him to get a sense of aged wisdom, more than a young woman her age should possess.  It was the kind of look Sean was familiar with whenever he stared into the eyes of his vampiric uncle.  He possessed vast knowledge and centuries of experiences and it indicated to Sean that Etienne was likely more than a couple of centuries old as well. 

Perhaps she feared Sean being able to detect the truth about her, because she did not stay focused on him for longer than a mere second or two and turned her head back toward Sean’s sword he had left leaning against the wall near where he was originally sitting before.  After he and Tara had gotten back everyone was hungry and more than ready to start eating.  Not to be rude, Sean didn’t waste the time to put his katana back in his room and took his seat right away, so they could all sit down and begin the Thanksgiving feast.  In his haste he had propped his sword against the wall and had nearly forgotten it, until now.  He found himself wishing he hadn’t and that it was some place safely hidden in his room, not creating unwanted attention.

“I can tell by the hilt alone that it is an elegant work of art, and whoever crafted it possesses the skills of a master craftsmen.  Very impressive indeed.” Etienne stared at the weapon much the same way Tara had before when she had first witnessed it in Sean’s hands out in the woods.

The sword was very personal to Sean, and the way Etienne stared at it, he felt as though she were trespassing. “I best put it away,” he said as he stood and started to make his way behind the chairs of the others so that he could retrieve his katana.

“Would you mind if I held it briefly?” Etienne asked him in a sweetened voice.

Sean continued to work his way over to his sword as he glanced back at her, and he feared he wasn’t able to keep a reproachful look from his face before looking away again.

“It’s quite all right if you rather I didn’t,” Etienne added.  It confirmed in Sean’s mind that she wasn’t oblivious to his reaction.

“It’s not ornamental, and the blade is extremely sharp.” Sean spoke while he retrieved it from the floor. “I wouldn’t want you or anyone else to get cut by it accidentally.”

“I promise you I won’t remove it from the sheath.  I’m more interested in the decorative hilt.”

Sean felt all eyes on him wondering and waiting to see how he would respond.  For some reason he felt as though at that very moment his actions were being judged and weighed from several different perspectives and how he behaved that instant would determine how he would be treated later.  He couldn’t predict what the right choice was or if even there was one, so he gave a friendly smile without showing his clenched teeth and offered her an opportunity to study his sword.

Carefully she took it and held the smooth black leather of the sheath in her hands as she brought the handle close to her face to examine.  Slowly she spun the weapon around so she could look at the entire engraved picture of wolves in their various poses.  She studied the two white opals representing moons and the one empty indentation still waiting for the time when the final enchantment matured to where it was time for the last stone to take its place.

In reality she probably held the sword in her hands for less than ten seconds but to Sean it felt more like it was at least three times as long.  He watched her closely, studying her as she carefully considered the object she held in her hands.  Everyone was silently looking on, sharing this chance to get a good look at what Sean possessively guarded.  All he could do was concentrate on his breathing and do the best he could to remain relaxed, pretending none of this was bothering him. 

Etienne finished her examination and kindly extended it back to its proper owner. “I must say that is the most remarkable sword I have ever seen.  You are very blessed to have such a thing in your possession.  Treat it well.”

Sean made himself seem grateful for her praise, but he was oblivious to the words of gratitude that came out of his mouth.  Instead he was absorbed with trying to leave the room as civil and politely as possible, without causing a scene, and to take his sword with him to return it to his room.

“Please, you must excuse me as well,” Sean heard Etienne say as he was making his way around the breakfast bar to the door that led the laundry room and the guest hallway. “I wish I could stay longer, but I’m expecting company and it wouldn’t do if I wasn’t present.”

Sean left the room before he could hear anymore and quickly made his way to his guestroom where he closed the door to separate himself from the others.  It was dark, and he left it that way preferring to be wrapped in the solitude it offered.  He leaned against the door taking a moment to get a hold of himself.  Something about their strange guest caused him to feel overly sensitive and unreasonably anxious, and he knew he had to get settled so he could think clearly again.

He took the time to go through a breathing exercise which almost immediately calmed him.  The fresh cold air that flowed in from his slightly opened window also helped tremendously, easing him of the unnecessary stress he was causing himself.  After he excused the way he was over reacting he moved over to the bed and sat down to reflect with a clear mind everything he knew about what just happened.  However before his thoughts could form the first few questions the silence was interrupted by a whispering voice that came from just outside his window.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-14 14:30:36)

#209 2010-04-10 09:40:05

lonewolf13

nice post.
smile

"Humankind cannot gain anything without first giving something in return. To obtain, something of equal value must be lost. That is alchemy's first law of Equivalent Exchange. ...In those days, we really believed that to be the world's one, and only truth...."

#210 2010-04-10 13:08:11

SilentTerror

This is the kind of suspense that I can't stand! The way you left it made you feel as if you know it's her but you don't know why she is there or who she really is. Love it! I have to thank you for the quick explanation of who she really is. A better description while nice is Not totally required, it adds the the mystery of her. Otherwise i see no problems can't wait for more.

Integrity first, Service before self, Excellence in all we do. -- Airforce Core Values
"In God we trust: All others we monitor" -- 5th Reconnaissance Squadron (5th RS)
"You'd be cocky too if your missile did MACH 2+" -- 2 LAAD (Low Altitude Air Defense) Battalion. Det 26 MEU (Marine Expeditionary Unit)

#211 2010-04-11 23:26:51

clairsior818

just finished reading and i love it!!!! would make great movie and tv series enjoyed both sean and gregors reactions as it is different, but why is there some kind of instinctive dislike between the two species, werewolf and vampire? no one has ever been able to tell me that... perhaps try adding that into it, or make a sequel for it based off the dislike of the two species. love the story post more soon!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Life is weird, I am just trying to fit in." - Joshua Harper

#212 2010-04-12 01:26:51

SilentTerror

Clairsior, I don't think that there is or ever was a dislike between werewolves and vampires. Personally I think that it's all Hollywood fiction. I could be wrong but in this story at least it's just something to help furthur the plotline, and it makes for great reading smile I mean there could be several ways to start the story but if the 2 species didn't dislike eachother Sean would most likely hadn't left. Another reason silentstrider might add the vampire in general is to add a very complex character that you barely know anything about. In the end i can't tell you why people think there is a dislike between vamps and weres but I have good ideas why it's added to the story.

#213 2010-04-12 05:48:39

SilentStrider

I'm very pleased to see that you have enjoyed the story thus far Clair, and I promise as the story moves forward you're only going to love it even more while I weave the lives of my characters together into a very unexpected conclusion leaving everything wide open (necessary even) for a sequel.  I can't wait to get to that point and I think I'm almost as eager to write it as my readers are to read it.  I feel like every page I write is but a single drop in a five gallon bucket, and it's agonizingly slow, but once I hit that full mark, I just know all the time spent on this passion of mine will be well worth it.

I'm supposed to be getting some sleep right now so I only have a small amount of time to touch base with you guys and try to clear a couple of story related things up (I still have to read through and spot edit mt last story post).

Having werewolves and vampires not getting along creates a very dynamic relationship between Sean and his uncle.  True, in the realm of fiction you don't have to have such a volatile interaction between these two supernatural races, but for the sake of my story I think it works out quite well.  I even developed some background history as to the reason why they hate each other and I have most of those details written in my notebook.  Perhaps tomorrow, some time after work, I can quote that section here, and it might even give some insight into how I brainstorm.

In the make believe history of my world vampires were magically created first as instruments of war (only they weren't named vampires in the beginning, they evolved into that much later).  They were the perfect tools for infiltrating a city and completely taking it over from the inside out.  In fact they became so good at this they eventually became an epidemic, and it became forbidden to experiment on or alter human beings in such ways ever again.  Eventually someone broke that rule so that they could create a counter to vampires which resulted in were-creatures.  Werewolves were the most successful at killing vampires, hence why they are the most popular of the were-creatures.  In essence these two supernatural monsters were bred to hate each other, more so on the werewolf side and later vampires learned to hate were-creatures as a survival trait. 

Mind you all this occurred thousands of years ago, before the supposed King Arther and Camelot age, and in an alternate history that mankind has no idea exists (because all traces and memories of it were wiped clean, when the majority of the worlds magic left, which is something I will get around to explaining in the first book).  Werewolves and vampires have a long history with each other and they themselves don't even know exactly why they're each others mortal enemy.  It's just an undeniable instinct that they can't resist.  With that element in place it certainly does create for some fun story telling, and I have some very cool scenes planned for it too, as well as the potential for many more.  Eventually I'll get around to telling you about Crimson, a city of eternal night in an alternate world where vampires rule and have established themselves as a stable civilization capable of interacting with the many other races.

I hope all of that adds some fuel to your imaginations and stirs things up.

I could go on writing and writing like this, but I really have to get to bed now.  Before I go let me just say thank you to ST and Lonewolf for your continued support and comments.  Your willingness to hang in there with me as I finish this story is one of the things that keeps me going.  The same goes for everyone else who has posted or written to me in emails.  THANK YOU!! big_smile

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-12 05:51:26)

#214 2010-04-12 22:36:21

SilentTerror

Ahright! I get recognized as a very strong supporter of silentstrider. Thanks for the reasoning of why vamps and weres hate eachother it is quite a reasonable explanation so post more of the story sometime soon plz!

#215 2010-04-13 02:28:01

lonewolf13

thanks.
smile smile

#216 2010-04-13 02:30:14

SilentTerror

Hi lonewolf we r online at the same time omg!

#217 2010-04-13 14:45:06

lonewolf13

wow
smile

#218 2010-04-14 20:55:58

clairsior818

thx, that actually makes sense. only thing i can ask now is who figured out how to breed them?
(you don't have to answer)

i would advise bending this story of werewolves i heard into the story keeping the main ideas and or all of it. its about the first werewolf. here it is:
The story of Lycaon the king explains how werewolves first came into the world.

Lycaon was a very fierce and cruel king.  His cruelty was legendary. When the powerful God, Zeus heard of his mischievous actions, he decided to come down to see for himself.  To his surprise the truth was worse than what he had heard.   Zeus went at once to meet with King Lycaon. When Zeus revealed himself at Lycaon's kingdom, Lycaon's servants got on their knees to pray. Lycaon however did not believe that Zeus was a god and made a plan to test him. Lycaon planned to kill him. If he was a god he would survive but if he wasn't then he would die. First he invited Zeus to a feast that he had prepared himself. The feast was human flesh from his innocent children that he had killed. Zeus, since he was a god knew at once what was happening and was furious with Lycaon’s cannibalism. As a punishment Zeus turned Lycaon into a wolf. Lycaon's entire body changed, only his eyes were human.

well thats the oldest story of werewolves i know.

"Life is weird, I am just trying to fit in." - Joshua Harper

#219 2010-04-15 04:13:13

SilentStrider

All right!  Finally got enough time to knock out the end of this chapter.  I know there's a lot of dialogue, and I'm aware that too much might not seem appealing to some people when they read a story.  However, I feel what gets discussed here is important.  I feel like it helps to move the story forward and introduces some very vital and hidden details about Tara's character that will come into play later on.  I also like trying to make my characters talk and act like real people and not so flat and two-dimensional.  So far, from what I've heard from you guys, that seems to be one of my strong points.

I did go back on my previous story post and added a few minor fixes and included a more detailed description of Etienne.  You can go ahead and read it if you feel so inclined.

Let me not keep you any longer from reading what you really want to read.  Go ahead and find out more about the hushed conversation that Sean happens to overhear.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Mom, I can’t believe you came here!” The first voice definitely belonged to Tara, and Sean could easily guess that she was addressing Etienne.  She spoke with dismay, but there was also buried gladness, and he was surprised to hear her call her “mom”.  This made Sean briefly wonder why all throughout her visit Tara tried not to reveal this fact.

“I had to come and see you, are you not pleased I’m here?” Etienne replied.

There was a brief pause and Sean quietly moved his head to where he could see out the slightly opened window while at the same time ensuring he remained far enough back in the shadows so he would not be seen.  The moonlit night was bright enough to reveal the two women embracing each other in a familial hug, and he watched as they pulled apart, remaining at arm's length.
“Of course I’m happy to see you,” Tara told Etienne, and he imagined she was smiling happily at her mother.  He wasn’t able to see her face since most of her back was to him, and the way her hair mushroomed down toward her shoulders made it impossible for him to see any facial reaction. “I just didn’t think the elders wanted me to have contact with any of them, especially with Dawn so close by.  They have been pretty strict on my responsibilities to her as a guardian.”

“I know, which is why you mustn’t let any of them know I’ve risked coming here”

“Mom, you could get into so much trouble for being here right now!”

“I’m aware of that.  Joseph and Lily are sensitive to our situation and I’m more than certain they won’t mind keeping my brief visit here a secret, but unfortunately I’m also here on some unofficial business too.”

Sean was able to witness the joyful look on Etienne’s face be swept away by a grimmer expression, one that told him she was about to deliver some bad news.  His friend seemed to pick up on that as well and waited in stillness to see what would be said.

“Elder Greshon was on watch duty when he detected you using some divination magic that was beyond your permissible level.” Etienne took on a grave expression as she continued, “Fortunately, he is a bit sympathetic to your situation and to his knowledge this has been your first violation, so he came to me, rather than make it a public record for the rest of the village to judge upon.  I apologized on your behalf and promised him that I would have a little talk with you.”

“Oh mom, it was only a little divination spell that I used,” Tara tried to excuse herself while taking a step back and allowing herself room to use her hands to express herself as well. “It was in that alley way where my friend had gotten attacked, besides I was far away from where Dawn was, so there was absolutely no chance of her seeing me.”

“That’s not the reason for the concern, and you know it,” Etienne reprimanded, shaking a delicate finger at her. “Need I remind you how dangerously close you came to becoming addicted to magic, and how lucky you were that you didn’t burn yourself out!  Besides being my daughter, you are much too precious the elders to allow that to happen.  I’m not afraid to say that their probation terms were lenient.”

“But...”

“I know what you’re going to say,” Tara’s mother interrupted, “and even with your suspicions regarding that alley isn’t enough to justify what you did.  When something like that comes up it is the elder’s duty to investigate it.  Not yours.  The only most remote possible reason for you to be spell casting is in a dire life threatening situation where your charge is at risk and even that may not be excusable by the rest of the Arcanus.  But, despite that fact you must still prove to the village elders that you can refrain from the use of magic, and I can’t even begin expressing to you how important it is that you regain their trust.  You’ve been gone for so long I don’t think you realize how many of the villagers talk about you and whisper their doubts about your future.”

“Mom, please tell me that you’re not one of them!”

“No!  Of course not.  I would never lose faith in you.”

“That angel specifically entrusted me with protecting Dawn, and that was the reason she came to me.” Sean’s eyes went wide with such an admission, and he knew beyond any doubt that this was absolutely not a conversation that he ought to be listening to.  But he was riveted to the spot, and he couldn’t pull himself away.  He just had to know more. 

“According to her words,” Tara continued, “I have to be the one to remain at her side, and the elders can’t disregard that.”

“I believe you,” Etienne said assuredly. “You don’t have to convince me, but the more others see you making mistakes, the more likely they’ll think you’re unfit for this job and they’ll try and replace you.”

“They can’t do that,” Tara denied

“They can and they will.  But, only if you give them reason.” Etienne’s word hung heavily in the air, and Sean could sense the certainty that they carried with them.  He tried to imagine how such a fate would affect Tara, and it didn’t take much of his imagination to tell him that she would not willingly allow such a thing.  He knew that Dawn was more important to Tara than almost anyone else, and that she would fight fiercely in her defense, but hearing her mother say those words to her with such finality made Tara freeze.

“I fear that you may be right,” she responded to Etienne.

“You’re my only daughter, and likely the only one I will ever have.  I want to do everything in my power to protect you, but there’s only so much that I can do to cover for you if you’re using magic when you’re not supposed to be.” Etienne’s voice sounded strained as she tried to hold at bay her emotions. “Veneficus Morbus is something very serious and it could lead to your death without you even caring, and I love you too much to let that happen.  Promise me absolutely no more spell casting without making me aware of it first, so that I can gauge if it is appropriate for you or not.”

“Veneficus Morbus?  What’s that?” Sean thought to himself, and he made a mental note to try and find out later.

“I’m not a fool.  I’m aware of my mistake and how I was abusing magic.  I’ve set strict limits for myself and guidelines so that I won’t fall to that again.  You know you can trust me.”

“Promise me.” Etienne repeated her request more forcefully, and Sean could see her eyes narrow letting Tara know that she intended to have her word on this.

“Mom, please.”

“Promise me,” she insisted.

Tara let out a heavy sigh, giving up on resisting her mother on this point, likely because she knew Etienne was irrefutably right. “I promise,” She finally admitted.

“That’s my girl,” Etienne said in an encouraging fashion.

Changing the subject, Tara continued their conversation. “Mom, I have to ask something about the report I received about the alley way.  It said that there weren’t any findings indicating the supernatural, but I know that can’t be.”

“Why do you say that?”

“Well, I know for certain that there was at least a were-creature that shifted forms in relation to the attack on my  friend, and when I went there personally to check the place out afterwards I found several pieces of shredded clothing with dark oily stains on them.   I didn’t know what to make of it exactly, but I could tell that they had a very dark feel to it.”

“Are you sure?”

“Of course I’m sure.  I wouldn’t be telling you otherwise if I wasn’t.”

“Tara, I was personally part of the investigative team that went to that alley, and we found nothing of the kind.  I was supervising Bannon as we conducted a thorough search, and I know if there had been something we would’ve found it.  How can you be sure that there was a were-creature even present at the scene?”

“Because he told me that he was, and even said something there set him off.   He confessed that he had no control over his change.”

Etienne suddenly sucked in her breath as she came to a shocking realization. “Do you mean that boy in there was the were?  Let me guess he’s a werewolf too,” she said with certainty. “Tara, what are you doing with him here, if the elders found out what he was and that you were risking having him so close to Dawn they would… they…” Etienne stumbled upon her own words while she tried to fathom some unimaginable punishment that she obviously didn’t want to upset her daughter with. “I can’t even tell you what they would do to you.  You have to get rid of him.  No one can catch him with you.”

Etienne clutched her hands close to her chest pleading with Tara.  Sean could see quite clearly the worry in her eyes, showing her fear for her daughter’s possible fate.

“He saved my friend’s life.  I owe him,” Tara proclaimed in Sean’s defense. “Besides, he really needs help, and I’m the best hope he has at the moment.”

“You don’t owe him anything more than what you put on your own conscience, and I would most likely believe that anything involving that child in there is less important compared to your responsibility with Dawn.” Sean could see the slight tremble of Etienne’s lip as she tried to make her argument convincing, but the fear underneath that she was trying to hide told Sean she wasn’t going to be successful at persuading Tara.

“But if someone doesn’t help him soon then he won’t likely get the help he needs in time to make a difference, and by then he’ll probably become a problem for the Knights of Merlin to deal with, and in his scenario normally their justice is swift and unforgiving.”

“What exactly is his problem?” Etienne asked, trying to assess the situation herself.

“He blacks out when he transforms into a werewolf.  He has no conscious recollection of what he does in his alternate form.”

“So he can’t even verify what happened in the alley.  Damn!” she cursed gesturing with a fist. “How old is he?”

“Twenty.  I believe he has nearly a half year left before he turns twenty-one.”

“The poor boy.  He doesn’t have much time.”

“That’s why I have to help him.  But, in addition to that, if what say is true and you found no traces of anything out of the ordinary during your investigation then someone is trying to hide whatever it is that happened”

“Turn him over to me and let him be my problem.  I can take care of him and find out the truth of what really happened.  The risk for you is too great if you get caught.”

“I don’t think he’ll trust anybody else.  I think I’m lucky that he’s willing to let me work with.”

“Tara, you mustn’t…”

“No!  Don’t tell me to turn my back on him.  I’ve seen it happen too many times for so many wrong reasons, and I don’t trust that the Arcanus functions any longer like the way it’s supposed to.  We’ve failed too many times to help the supernaturals when we should have, and they wind up suffering because of our neglect.  I’m not going to let that happen to him.  It’s not his fault for the way he is, and it’s our sworn duty to help individuals like him.  So many of our members have forgotten, or overlook at their convenience, the traditional oath which defines the very nature for the existence of our order.  I’m not going to be like them.  I refuse.”

Tara even swayed slightly with the emotion that overtook her and she stomped her foot down in order to stabilize herself as well as to emphasize her point.  Etienne paused, examining her daughter, and Sean could see behind her eyes the glint of worried concern.

“Oh Tara, think about what you’re doing.  Is it really worth the risk?”

“Yes!  Without a doubt.” Sean was surprised to hear how quickly Tara responded back to her mother.  She left no doubt that she was even going to consider having second thoughts.  He could see that she had certain moral standards that she clung to and she rooted herself to them regardless of what the apparent consequences might be.  Sean thought that perhaps they had gone through something similar to this before, and Etienne knew that it would be a pointless debate to have with her.

Now it was Etienne’s turn to sigh, admitting victory towards her daughter.  She had nothing to say that Tara probably hadn’t heard before, so she surrendered herself by stepping forward and enveloping her daughter in a motherly embrace.  Tara hesitated the briefest of moments, perhaps because she was slightly surprised, and was expecting more of an argument from her mother.  But, she recovered quickly and willingly returned the love that Etienne so generously expressed for her.

Etienne leaned back, still holding onto her daughter, and gazed fondly upon her face.  She held admiration and respect for Tara, and there was also hope.  Above everything else though, there was love.  The kind solely reserved for a parent toward their child, and Sean was happy that his friend was able to know what that felt like.

“I am so proud of you,” she told Tara. “You’re the one thing that has given my life meaning, and I know that someday you will make a great Wizard.  Please tread carefully with your future so that I may live to see that day.  Now you must get back inside before your friends become overly suspicious of your absence.  Call me when you get back, we don’t talk often enough these days.”

With her final words she gave Tara a kiss on her forehead and took a step back separating them.  Tara nodded slightly and as she moved stepped forward moving pass her mother and in the direction of the back door, she kept her head trained on her and Sean was able to catch a glimpse of her departing with a smile.  Sean was careful to remain absolutely still until Etienne had moved away and was completely out of sight.  He remained where he was for a couple of moments more expecting to see her face suddenly pop up in front of the window accusing him of having eavesdropped their entire conversation.  Gradually, Sean pushed that thought from his imagination, and quietly reached up to close his window, hoping that Tara wouldn’t consider the possibility that he had overheard what they had said.

So many new questions whirled around in his head as he tried to put into context the things he had just heard them talk about.  It was all a lot to take in and he tried replaying secret meeting in his head picking out the interesting parts that warranted a deeper look.

“Why were they trying to hide the fact that Etienne was Tara’s mother?  What was the strange disease that Etienne had labeled her daughter with?  What sort of trouble could she get into if she was caught by her elders with him in her company, and why was she risking it?  Could she possibly have another motivation other than what she told her mother?  And what about the bizarre comment involving an angel having given Dawn to Tara?  Did it literally mean what she said it did?  Should he risk confronting her with his questions, and if he did how would she take the fact that he had listened in on a private conversation?”

Sean was bewildered with how complex his friend suddenly appeared to be.  He had originally thought that he was the one who had to be cautious around her, but now he was getting the hint that it was actually Tara who had to be careful and the fact that she was taking a great risk trying to convince him to stick around so that she could help him took on a new meaning to Sean.  Still though, was there something more to it all?  He still had trouble excepting that she would so generously put herself out on the line for him without hoping to get something else in return.  He honestly doubted that all he was worth to her was a simple friendship.  He was too much trouble for that.

As he sat on his bed staring off into space reflecting upon his thoughts he noticed out of the corner of his vision a tiny cylindrical shape sitting on the edge of his dresser, and a small smile of appreciation made its way onto his face.  He reached out and picked up his bottle of extra strength sleeping pills, grateful that Tara had been true to her word and returned them.  He didn’t necessarily want to use them, but it was reassuring to know that they were available if he felt like he needed to take some. 

Out of curiosity he opened the bottle and dumped out the contents into his hand just to confirm that indeed they were his pills and hadn’t been replaced by something else.  Sure enough they were the same little red and yellow capsules that had come with the bottle, but as he counted them while putting them back he noticed that his count was off.  Thinking that perhaps he miscounted he dumped them back into the palm of his hand and took more care putting them back into the bottle.  He counted fifteen.

Sean was a little confused as to why he was missing one, but then he considered the possibility that Tara may have taken it for herself.  It didn’t upset Sean, but it did bring to question whether or not she had bad dreams too; and if so, what sort of nightmares did a Wizard have?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Okay, that wraps up chapter nine.  I hope you liked it.  I'm eager to read you comments and suggestions.  Hopefully I'll be fortunate enough to get to read some of them tomorrow night, and hopefully we all be so fortunate enough to see me post a good chunk of the next chapter tomorrow as well.  Work is supposed to be slow the next two days, so with any luck I'll be able to get some more writing time in.

To answer your question Clair about who figured out how to breed were-creatures...

I'd say the question would be more appropriately phrased as to who figured out how to create them, since they weren't actually bred.  No one knows for sure who's name should get credit (or be cursed) for inventing a method for creating were-creatures.  So much history has been lost or secreted away through out the passage of time, but those few with access to rare and delicate tomes or able to make sense of some of the vague clues left behind, are able to get an idea of the truth.  Essentially some types of spellcasters were able to manipulate the nature of living creatures and were very good at transforming them into other "things" so that they could serve a purpose.  Many times these spellcaster had to go through several stages of experiments before they were able to perfect their creations, and not all of their trials and errors had the blessing of being free by dying.  Were-creatures were a little different in their creation, and the spellcaster that made them only used individuals that volunteered for the process which was an unprecedented thing to do during those times.  One of the important features that was included with were-creatures upon their creation was that they would still retain the ability to change back into human form so that after war against vampires had died down, these people would still be able to return to some semblance of a normal life.  Later throughout many, many generations the were gene has been passed on from generation to generation.

I suppose I could add a lot more to explain all of this, but perhaps later.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-15 05:14:02)

#220 2010-04-15 05:07:36

lonewolf13

nice work.
smile

#221 2010-04-15 05:15:00

SilentStrider

Wow, Lonewolf I can't believe you're still up wink

#222 2010-04-16 01:34:16

SilentTerror

Wassup! Nice entry and I really enjoyed it. The entire passage raises so many questions so once again....

QUIZ TIME!!!

“Why were they trying to hide the fact that Etienne was Tara’s mother?  What was the strange disease that Etienne had labeled her daughter with?  What sort of trouble could she get into if she was caught by her elders with him in her company, and why was she risking it?  Could she possibly have another motivation other than what she told her mother?  And what about the bizarre comment involving an angel having given Dawn to Tara?  Did it literally mean what she said it did?  Should he risk confronting her with his questions, and if he did how would she take the fact that he had listened in on a private conversation?”

#223 2010-04-16 16:18:30

lonewolf13

i live in norway so i am 8 hours ahead of you guys in the states
smile

#224 2010-04-16 23:48:48

SilentStrider

Ahh, I understand now. 

I got a good chunk of chapter ten completed tonight.  I just have to finish up about two more pages of it before I can post it.  I'll try and get it done after everyone at home goes to sleep. 

As a heads up the next two chapters are going to be from Tara's point of view, and chapter eleven is where your going to get to see Sean's first transformation.

----------------------------------------------

Update:  Still working on finishing the next post.  I wasn't able to stay awake long enough last night, plus the formatting was messed up, so I had to spend time fixing it.

Last edited by SilentStrider (2010-04-17 12:28:59)

#225 2010-04-17 12:53:44

lonewolf13

nice, can't wait
smile

Board footer