#53 2005-07-01 15:50:21

Lupin
Website

Re: Cursed DVD

The reasearch material was wrong.

#54 2005-07-01 17:13:50

Johnlindsey289

At least "Cursed" is the werewolf equilant to " Fright Night" with werewolves instead of Vampires and i think this is better than Wes Craven's hideous "Last House on The Left".

#55 2005-07-01 18:17:10

The Busboy
Administrator

Black Wolf wrote:

Busboy, the plot twist was ?

The plot twist basically is that you are lead to believe that one person is the "bad" one, but actually another one is (I pretty much figured out where they were going  with it within the first 30 minutes of the film).

#56 2005-07-01 18:22:32

WolfVanZandt
Website

Hey, I'm sorta glad that all the rental places around here only have Cursed in DVD, otherwise, I'd feel obliged to watch it (and maybe suffer through it). (I don't have a DVD player.)

#57 2005-07-01 18:30:19

NinjaWolf

You still have a DVD-player on your computer, don't you?

Silly, werewolf! Tricks are for ninjas! XD

#58 2005-07-03 05:47:05

slave2moonlight
Website

Honestly, I saw the unrated Cursed DVD tonight at a friend's house, and I don't see why this film is so strongly hated. No, it's not on caliber with American Werewolf In London, Dog Soldiers, or the Howling, but I never would have expected it to be. I have never viewed Wes as a horror god, and maybe it helped that my expectations were pretty low after all the negative talk, but I rather enjoyed this film. Oh, it was flawed to be sure, but it was still a fun movie.

Okay, bad things:

Most strikingly, whoever handled the music on the film SUCKED, all except the opening with "Little Red Riding Hood," one of my favorite songs. The handling of the music in this film was awful.

Second, there was no story beyond the fact that these two kids were turning into werewolves. Towards the end they got into the "let's stop this from happening" mode, but for much of the film it didn't seem to have much of a plot. Perhaps this is why people hated it so much, but, as a fan of werewolf movies, I was content oggling my former obsession, Ricci, while going through the "we're becoming werewolves" plot (if you could call it one).

Third, Scott Baio's role in this film was on parr with the cameos by the real-life race car drivers in Herbie: Fully Loaded, yet I was led to believe he was going to be more important in the film, and even the film seemed to think he was. Though, he seemed to have fewer lines than those race car drivers, and his acting is pretty rusty (but theirs was AWFUL). Okay, I don't really care about Scott Baio being in the film, but it seemed to add too much of a cheeze factor, since his character (himself) was played so serious and yet was so unimportant to the film.

The transformation: It was weak, but I've come to not expect much from CGI transformations. I've seen worse. Haven't seen a good CGI werewolf transformation that I can think of. Well, Van Helsing had good ones, but CGI is still painfully obvious.

The werewolf itself, kinda funny from the face, and way too bear-like. The dog werewolf, cool to a certain degree, but ridiculous. If animals could contract werewolfism, I think it'd spread like wild-fire among both animals and humans from interaction.

Okay, I'm probably forgetting some stuff, sorry. It's very late and I'm very tired, as for why I enjoyed it:

I loved the attack scenes! I thought they were tense and well done. I LOVED the parking lot attack scene (loved the use of the cool looking werewolf feet) and loved the elevator attack scene. The werewolf itself may have been somewhat goofy looking, but it was menacing and I enjoyed that it seemed to maintain its human mind, even enough to flip someone off. Loved that. Loved Ricci. Enjoyed the humor and all the horror fan goodies like the replica of the cane from the Wolf-Man and so on. This werewolf movie wasn't exactly "special," except for having Ricci as the star, but I still found it to be a fun werewolf movie that I'd like to get a copy of eventually. I've definitely seen MUCH WORSE. I liked it. It wasn't great, but I liked it.

Last edited by slave2moonlight (2005-07-03 21:55:48)

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#59 2005-07-03 12:00:19

Confused Wolf
Queen of the Zombies!
Website

I agree with s2m.

My pet zombies hate your guts, but love your brains! big_smile

#60 2005-07-04 08:29:37

slave2moonlight
Website

Cool. big_smile And I might get a free copy from a guy I know online who doesn't really want his. Hope he comes through with it and that it's in good shape!

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

#61 2005-07-04 15:23:23

WolfVanZandt
Website

But I don't WANT to want to see it. I can't rent it in VHS anmd I can't afford to  buy it.

Grumble, mumble, razza-frazzin' grrmphlrz

#62 2005-07-04 20:02:28

NinjaWolf

WolfVanZandt wrote:

But I don't WANT to want to see it. I can't rent it in VHS anmd I can't afford to  buy it.

Grumble, mumble, razza-frazzin' grrmphlrz

Poor WVZ. *pats his back* wink

#63 2005-07-04 22:55:36

The Busboy
Administrator

S2M, great post, you posted some great thought about the movie too, can't wait until you do one of your famous movie reviews for the site (they are always so great).

#64 2005-07-04 23:15:08

Lupin
Website

slave2moonlight wrote:

Third, Scott Baio's role in this film was on parr with the cameos by the real-life race car drivers in Herbie: Fully Loaded, yet I was led to believe he was going to be more important in the film, and even the film seemed to think he was. Though, he seemed to have fewer lines than those race car drivers, and his acting is pretty rusty (but theirs was AWFUL). Okay, I don't really care about Scott Baio being in the film, but it seemed to add too much of a cheeze factor, since his character (himself) was played so serious and yet was so unimportant to the film.

From what I've heard, he was supposed to be the werewolf, which would have been much better.

#65 2005-07-05 00:24:11

NinjaWolf

Sorry, but Scott Baio being a werewolf wouldn't be as scary to me. :p

#66 2005-07-05 00:52:18

Lupin
Website

It would be a lot funnier though.

#67 2005-07-05 08:24:43

Black Wolf

Slave2moonlight, great comments on the movie. After the Scream series, everyone's expectations of Wes Craven is quite high. Look at George Romero, the studio stands back and lets him create a cool, new zombie flick (Land of the Dead). Unfortunately, Wes Craven was foiled by the movie studio, who wanted a "safe" mass audience flick. Let's hope, Wes Craven can recover in his horror flick.

Besides Joshua Jackson, I heard Judy Greer was the other villain in the flick. How was her performance? Did they show Judy transform into a wolf?

#68 2005-07-05 13:10:21

NinjaWolf

Lupin wrote:

It would be a lot funnier though.

Yeah, to the teens it would be. But, the werewolf is supposed to be a bad guy in this one. *sigh* I hate these werewolf stereotypes of them being bad. :x

#69 2005-07-05 20:35:36

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

it just occured to me...i havent seen dog soldiers yet...

Author of Blood Bounty, Wolf's Release V2, Man Eaters (incomplete), Aaliyah (in progress), Offer (short story), Hide (short story, published in Wizard), writer for an upcoming webcomic/graphic novel series featuring Aaliyah. 

One of these days I'm going to solicit my work for publishing, it's just that my work is pure and a publishing company needs to be reasonable with content editing...

#70 2005-07-05 20:36:36

The Busboy
Administrator

Army Grey Wolf wrote:

it just occured to me...i havent seen dog soldiers yet...

That's a good movie, I have that one on DVD.

#71 2005-07-05 20:40:22

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

wish i could get it on dvd today but if i order it itll be here on friday

Author of Blood Bounty, Wolf's Release V2, Man Eaters (incomplete), Aaliyah (in progress), Offer (short story), Hide (short story, published in Wizard), writer for an upcoming webcomic/graphic novel series featuring Aaliyah. 

One of these days I'm going to solicit my work for publishing, it's just that my work is pure and a publishing company needs to be reasonable with content editing...

#72 2005-07-05 20:42:35

The Busboy
Administrator

I see cheap copies of it on DVD in stores from time to time, I think it's a good film, there are a lot of people on this site that like it besides myself, and there is a forum for it on this site too.

#73 2005-07-05 20:48:42

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

ive heard nothing but good from it, and with the budget they had to work with 4 mil??? im very surprised

#74 2005-07-05 20:50:31

The Busboy
Administrator

Army Grey Wolf wrote:

ive heard nothing but good from it, and with the budget they had to work with 4 mil??? im very surprised

I think you'll like it, after you watch it try to post what you think about it in that forum about it.

#75 2005-07-05 20:52:31

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

i ordered it and put it on next day air

Board footer