The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2008-10-13 10:52:11

Poncho
Stole your Duvet
Website

Local legends

Post stories or tales from the area (or around the area) from which you dwell.

I once picked up a book of local legends and myths form the town library. I rember the tales of the headless cavalier that turns up at midnight at the end of road and if he points his sword at you, you will die within 24hrs.

Ghostly apparitions of two children (Suposedly brother and sister) that can be seen running towards train tracks, leading any would be helpers to their doom.

and of course a reported sighting of a werewolf, in full on man-wolf shape, get this drunk, passed out in a nearby barn. That was about a hundred years ago or so, so was probably just some drunk farmer with his shirt off but you never know.

Also there was local guy about 15 years ago who was always getting into fights and one day took 9 police officers to take him down. A medium told him he was possessed by the spirit of a wolf. He travelled to america to get it removed " I have exorcised the Demons" style.

why is no-one ever possessed by a snail and why does no-one ever see caveman ghosts?

"Some thoughts are less when spoken and some spoken words are less than the thought used behind it." Poncho 2009

#2 2008-10-14 00:35:59

Abigail

Re: Local legends

We have a legend from my hometown. There are a few stories about one particular cemetery, Rose Hill. One story is that there is a grave where a man with the last name of Wolf is buried, and that this headstone has large bite or scratch marks and it is the grave of a werewolf.

It and many other local Idaho legends/ghost stories are listed on this site: http://theshadowlands.net/places/idaho.htm

#3 2008-10-14 01:09:35

Freddy

in mexico their's a famous 1 that everyone knows and probally some of u guys know it 2 "la yorona" it about a lady who went crazy and drown her kids but she regrets it and believes that her kids are out their so she went looking and looking but nothing so she died but her spirit still out their crying for her kids looking 4 them.

i know 1 about a werewolf legend in mexico my causins told me about it. that the aztecs or any other tribes believe they had the power of an animal. so 1 ruler of a tribe had the power of the wolf and believe he can change into that animal + he can communicate with other wolves 2 so people say that he was a werewolf. so that's were mexico got the legend of the werewolf. that's what i heard from my causins and their stories.

I will always protect the one's I love no matter what

#4 2008-10-15 16:57:43

milana
Website

Where I live now? I haven't hear many folktales about werewolves, but we have the Devil's Playground, which was were the KKK used to meet and supposedly ritual satanics use it today. Which I believe, because a friend and I drove through it one and we found decapitated cat heads on the bridge. Also, if you take pictures of the area, you'll end up with a lot of glowing orbs in your pictures.

Where I grew up we had a myth of a bridge: Crybaby Bridge. Supposedly a woman threw her baby over into the creek below and if you listen carefully you can still hear the baby crying.

There's nothing that can't be cured by chocolate. Unless you're craving calamari.

My Triond.

#5 2008-10-15 22:12:54

Shuri

I was just told by my mom that theres a big wolf roaming the woods around these parts, whats weird is that kentucky no longer has any wolves, im not sure if its a werewolf or not hmm

In your mind what am i? Am i human or am i something else?????

#6 2008-10-20 17:17:55

Poncho
Stole your Duvet
Website

maybe its a drunk farmer? the same one from my town

Duh duh duh duh (thats suspense music)

"Some thoughts are less when spoken and some spoken words are less than the thought used behind it." Poncho 2009

#7 2008-10-20 23:14:11

WolfVanZandt
Website

There's no wolves in Alabama either, only.......there's a mating pair of timber wolves near where we have the SEHowl, and they found a timber wolf on the road in Northwestern Alabama a couple of years ago, and a whole pack was released near Montgomery back around 1990, and you can't believe everything the county extension service agent says.....

#8 2009-01-19 00:12:12

Amarok

Werewolf Incomplete wrote:

I was just told by my mom that theres a big wolf roaming the woods around these parts, whats weird is that kentucky no longer has any wolves, im not sure if its a werewolf or not.

A few months ago I picked up a book almost at random called Mysterious Kentucky by B. M. Nunnelly.  It has a horrendous number of typos and punctutation mistakes, but it was worth getting for its "playful" Kentucky Werewolf:

The stories center mostly around Ashland, in Boyd county near the Ohio and West Virginia borders.  They seemed to snowball from an initial sighting by the Reverend Joshua Sparks' aunt Jeannie in 1975.  She was heading to work one morning before dawn on Route 168, a narrow, twisting highway which was best negotiated slowly.  Her headlights played over a hairy animal standing upright by the side of the road.  It did not flee but stared at her as she rolled past.  "I will never forget it.  It looked just like a werewolf," she said, with a long, doglike snout and long, sharp teeth.  At one point woman and creature made eye contact, and Jeannie felt as if "time had just slowed down."

This experience must have fascinated Jeannie's nephew, for the Reverend Mr. Sparks took it upon himself to interview the witnesses when a "werewolf" or "dogman" started haunting the Ashland, Kentucky Cemetery in the 1980s.  The beast was capable of running on two legs or four, and it was supposedly able to jump completely over the ten-foot-high gate of the cemetery from a standing start.  "The animal seemed to delight in chasing humans, and, thankfully, stopping or turning away just before its prey was reached," writes Nunnelly.

Eventually the police staked out the graveyard.  One night two patrolmen left their car outside the gates and entered the burial grounds, shining their flashlights over the headstones (which had become routine by this time).  The werewolf appeared and chased them.  They reached the gates and found them shut and locked!  After much running and screaming, the cops shook the beast (or it tired of the game).

One witness Sparks interviewed said he saw the creature twice.  Once while walking through the cemetery, a passing car's headlights played over an "evil-looking thing with a wolf head and fangs" which promptly ducked behind a headstone.  The witness had the cajones to step over and look behind the stone, but he found nothing.

Another time he was one of several people, including other family members, who were taking a shortcut through the cemetery.  The werewolf appeared and chased them into the surrounding woods all the way to the Southside swimming pool (apparently a considerable distance).  Again the witness commented that it could have easily caught them if it wanted to.

The most interesting report, in my opinion, Sparks collected from a married couple a few miles from Ashland, in Greenup county.  They were driving two vehicles one night.  The wife's car, in front, was in poor repair, so the husband followed behind.  The two kept in contact via walkie-talkie.  The woman suddenly reported that something was running down the road straight at her.  She stomped on the brakes, and the creature stopped as she did, just standing for a long moment.  The woman, growing hysterical, could only describe it as a "monster".

As the husband caught up to the first car, the creature leapt entirely over it and now ran at his vehicle.  He got a good look at it before it sprang over his car as well and vanished into the night.  "It was a big 'werewolf-looking' thing, completely covered with shaggy hair," writes Nunnelly.  "It had cruel looking eyes, pointed ears and long fangs and claws."  Needless to say, the couple left the area quickly.

Nunnelly mentions Linda Godfrey and her suggestion that there exist "Dogmen" or "Wolfmen", not shapeshifters but creatures that look like anthropomorphic werewolves.  There have been an ever-increasing number of reports of such critters since the "Bray Road Beast" got rolling in 1990 or so.  (I could say the same about other unusual phenomena, though, like the Chupacabras.)

At least this was a fun-loving beast, just wanting to play-chase people and freak them out.  And jump over things.  If it locked the cemetery gate on the two cops, it must have quite a sense of humor.

Last edited by Amarok (2009-01-20 00:44:36)

"No, no, go not to Lethe, neither twist Wolf's-bane, tight-rooted. for its poisonous wine." -- Keats, "Ode to Melancholy"

#9 2009-01-19 07:40:31

WolfMontana

Cool big_smile

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#10 2009-01-19 08:50:27

lupen the wolf

Werewolf Incomplete wrote:

I was just told by my mom that theres a big wolf roaming the woods around these parts, whats weird is that kentucky no longer has any wolves, im not sure if its a werewolf or not hmm

There actually are wolves in Kentucky, but they've learned to stay away from humans; so you probably won't see them.

That playful werewolf sounds awsome! big_smile If I could change into a werewolf I'd probably mess with people too. smile

ego sum quis ego sum....

#11 2009-01-19 12:01:31

Amarok

There are werewolf-like reports scattered around the kentuckybigfoot.com site (if you can keep yourself from admiring the "Bigfoot need love too" T-shirts!) smile :

http://www.kentuckybigfoot.com/

"No, no, go not to Lethe, neither twist Wolf's-bane, tight-rooted. for its poisonous wine." -- Keats, "Ode to Melancholy"

#12 2009-01-19 14:25:08

therian44
Barry Burton's lover
Website

I want a werewolf tale! All we have in stupid Ohio are ghost stories : /

Last edited by therian44 (2009-01-19 14:25:21)

Run, wolf warrior, to ends eternal
Through the wreckage of the death of the day
Scent of silence under starlight spinning
A captured beast within a human skin

#13 2009-01-20 00:35:32

Amarok

Well, there's this from Creatures of the Outer Edge (1978), by Jerome Clark and Loren Coleman:

"During July and August 1972, a number of people in Toledo and Defiance, Ohio, swore they had seen something which appeared to be 'human, with an oversized, wolflike head, and an elongnated nose,' and between six and eight feet in height.  Witnesses said it 'had huge hairy feet, fangs, and ran from side to side, like a caveman in the movies.'  It also possessed glowing red eyes.  A trainman working along the tracks near downtown Defiance claimed that the thing had sneaked up behind him in the early morning darkness and clobbered him with a two-by-four board.

"'We don't know what to think,' Police Chief Donald Breckler said, 'but now we're taking it seriously.'"

It might just be me, but I think possibly a werewolf that hits you with a two-by-four may have been someone dressed as a werewolf.  Still, there were more reports, mainly around Brookside Park in Cleveland, of a "manimal" covered with black hair.  Coleman and Clark continue:

"The final werewolf sighting took place in southwestern Ohio (Defiance is in the northwestern, Toledo in the northeastern parts of the state) one night late in October.  Mr. and Mrs. Ed Miller of Carlisle had driven out into the countryside between Carlisle and Germantown to look for a license plate that had fallen off the car earlier.  Mrs. Miller happened to look across a field and she noticed a black, partially erect figure running on two legs.  'It turned and came at us,' she told the Middletown Journal, 'and then it crouched down and was almost crawling.  I screamed for my husband to take me home.  I was scared to death.'"

After driving home, the Millers told three teenagers of their acquaintance what happened.  The teens immediately drove out to the area -- and found the beast, which approached them exactly as it had the Millers.  The teenagers fled.

THEN Mr. and Mrs. Miller drove back out to the scene. yikes "But we still couldn't get a close look at it" [Mrs. Miller reported].  "It would start to run toward the car, standing up, but then it would crouch down and hide in the weeds.  And it howled at us, a loud snarling, hissing sound."

. . . And after THAT a Mr. and Mrs. Gary Moore decided to drive out to the scene!  "They were certain it was not a man.  Its eyes, which were huge, 'glowed like fluorescence in the light of the car.'  Its face and body were very hairy."

If this critter was someone in a costume, trying to scare away people Scooby-Doo fashion, he or she was failing miserably.  The Millers could have sold tickets:  "Come see the Werewolf in the Field!  Next show in fifteen minutes!" smile

#14 2009-01-20 15:17:43

therian44
Barry Burton's lover
Website

Wow I didnt know we had that one. Sounds kinda fishy to me, but oh well! At least we have a werewolf sitting in Ohio smile

#15 2009-02-25 19:12:10

CatWolf4891

Does anyone have any info on a werewolf legend called "El Lobizon?"  I think it's a Mexican or Brazillian folklore.  I forget which.
I know I could probably look it up right now on the web, but I was curious to see if anyone had their own take or story on this particular lore.  From what I hear it's similar to the werewolf lore, only it's suppose to be more canine like than lupine like...i think.

The Full Moon to humans is just a rock; The Full Moon to me is a symbol of freedom and release
A Howl to humans scare them; A Howl to me is a harmonious song...
And I Howl back.
I am SUCH the Romantic big_smile   Awwoooooooooo!

#16 2009-02-26 06:42:58

therian44
Barry Burton's lover
Website

The El Lobizon was on Destination Truth. Josh Gates went to Argentina to ask this one family if they were werewolves. Supposedly, the 7th son was a Lobizon and that the president there would baptize him to stop the curse. Then some weird guy said he was one and tried to "transform" on the air and all he did was growl and hunch his back lol

#17 2009-02-26 16:46:37

lupen the wolf

I remember that! That was funny lol

ego sum quis ego sum....

#18 2009-02-27 13:06:34

chaotic wolf
Website

i got nothing... sad  We don't have any lore in the south, aka Georgia, at least nothing that I know of but I will keep an ear open for some!

Chaos is but a state of mind.... Entropy is what rules us all.

#19 2009-03-01 01:03:42

vampfire

we do have few stories in Georgia but they tend to roam only in the native american tribes there is one of a tribe leader that had a "pet" wolf that was always by his side one day the tribe went to war and the tribe leader past on but his companion gave the leader the remainder of his life when the tribe leader awoke he found himself in the form of a wolf and when he tried the hardest he could return to his original form as a human and it goes to say that all of his three sons after that where blessed with the ability to change into a wolf like form by will and so it was passed down through the rest of his children and so on

keep to the shadows and never be seen, enter the light keep senses keen

#20 2009-03-01 02:12:20

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

North Dakota is called a desolate wasteland for a reason..

<3

#21 2009-03-01 18:59:41

chaotic wolf
Website

vampfire: Oh, I didn't know about that one! SWEETS I liked it! big_smile

Chaos is but a state of mind.... Entropy is what rules us all.

#22 2009-03-01 21:09:47

TSDX WERENIMAL HUNTER
P.h.e.o.e.n.e.x Operative

People Have Complained About A Snarling Noise In The Forest In The Back Of Our Town And Some Have Claimed To See A Shadowy Hulking Fugure In The Forest

All Ur Base R Belong 2 Us come quietly and your eyebrows will not be burned off....that would not be pleasant would it?

Im baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!! (For real this time) With 30% more TS 30% more DX 60% more weapons and 99% more evilness and destruction!!

#23 2009-05-02 17:28:06

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

At the university I'm attending there is a story of something that lives in a nearby canyon. It is said there is a cave in along the mountain side that if you go near it during the week of a full moon you can see something terrifying. It's implied that there is a ghost of a werewolf trapped in the cave but on the full moon it can break out of the dark abyss and travel to the cave's surrounding area where it can howl at the moon. Naturally being a college student, I thought we should go there the next full moon and see if it is true. I almost wish I had not gone. The sun was setting as some friends and I went hiking up the canyon to the cave. As we went I started to feel very uneasy. It was strange, I usually don't get scared in forests, I love them, but there was something wrong in the air with this one. By the time we ended up getting to the cave, the moon was fully over the mountains shining brightly through the night sky. We didn't here anything so we went right up to the cave entrance and looked in. Our flashlights reveled nothing more than an average cave. After a few minutes we decided it was a wives tail and turned to leave. We were halfway down the side from the cave when I realized I left my water bottle by the cave entrance. I quickly went to retrieve it. As I turned my back to the cave once again, I felt a terrible feeling in the pit of my stomach. I was about to rush back down the hill due to the overpowering feeling of dread, when I heard a noise from behind. It was the worse noise I have yet to here in my short life. It was like a snarl or a growl but not, it that makes sense. I don't really no how to describe it. When I heard it I froze. My skin was crawling like mad. I felt as if something was standing right behind me. It seemed like ages but I regained myself and flew down the hill. My friends told me I looked like I had seen a ghost, very cliche I know.  I never went back there. For all I know it was a mountain lion, but my irrational mind still pegs it as the werewolf that the tale told about.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#24 2009-05-02 17:52:20

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

Dang, that's pretty crazy. I've always wanted to do something like that, but where I live most 'haunted' places get torn down within a year. What state are you from?

Funny thing, a couple of blocks from my house there's an indian burial mound. My friend, who lives much closer to it, and I would always talk about it being haunted because we've seen some really strange things near there especially at night during the summer, such as mysterious shadows jumping around in the woods, random noises coming from right next to us (but there's nothing there), etc. A couple of weeks ago I was doing some research on the mound for a native american history class I was in and I stumbled across this whole page talking about how the site's haunted. Moreover, it mentioned a legend that this really bright, luminescent white wolf appears from time to time at night standing over the mound. I've never seen it personally, but in the woods near there I have seen some pretty huge wild canines (which I assume to be cayotes which are quite frequent around here now).

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#25 2009-05-02 23:27:31

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

White Wolf wrote:

Dang, that's pretty crazy. I've always wanted to do something like that, but where I live most 'haunted' places get torn down within a year. What state are you from?

I hail from Utah, and am enrolled at Utah State University. The tale is mostly oral. I haven't found much in written records except that there has been a few murders up in the cave. Most of which are unexplained or later determined as suicide, and that's about it for mention of the cave in writing. I had heard about the cave from someone in an anthropology class, who said they had had the crap scarred out of them up there. It was an interesting excursion but I don't think I will go there again.

Your story is fascinating as well. I always find it interesting when places you peg to be haunted out of your own intuition turns out being supported by tales later, how that then validates the authenticity of the haunting in that it was discovered by you and then later supported.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

Board footer