The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2005-06-12 14:43:57

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

Secrets of being a werewolf...first hand

First I'll tell you medically what i know...

1. body temp is about 3 degrees cooler than normal, this is for a reason, if we develop the ability to shift body temperature would climb very high, so those few degrees is a buffer to prevent us from reaching that zone in temp where damage can occur to the brain
2 not absolutley sure but i believe we are all a negaitve blood type
3.eye color changes to mood, but angry brings out a golden hazel.
4. we come in all shapes and sizes, we are all strong, fast and resilient, even if the person in questioned hasnt been awakened to that knowledge.

most can dreamshift at a minimum, this starts as an involuntary thing.

almost all of us have a hell of a nose, can even get us headaches from sensory overloads, so please, skip the deodrant and scented body wash

because we are feral creatures we are subject to instincts over brains, at least to the more experienced of us that allow the wolf-brain to take over pretty much all the time

as far as i know you cannot be turned a werewolf, so very sorry, but i dont think we have disease or virus that roams in our blood and saliva, if that was true, there are a few young females out there that im responsible for

anyone else wish to add to this, or how about this, any weres wanna tell me if this applies...i know the medical thing is a given, but tell me anyhow, ill add more later

Last edited by Army Grey Wolf (2005-06-12 15:50:04)

Author of Blood Bounty, Wolf's Release V2, Man Eaters (incomplete), Aaliyah (in progress), Offer (short story), Hide (short story, published in Wizard), writer for an upcoming webcomic/graphic novel series featuring Aaliyah. 

One of these days I'm going to solicit my work for publishing, it's just that my work is pure and a publishing company needs to be reasonable with content editing...

#2 2005-06-12 20:19:46

Kaden

Re: Secrets of being a werewolf...first hand

So its possible to be a werewolf and not know it?

#3 2005-06-12 23:07:24

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

sure

Author of Blood Bounty, Wolf's Release V2, Man Eaters (incomplete), Aaliyah (in progress), Offer (short story), Hide (short story, published in Wizard), writer for an upcoming webcomic/graphic novel series featuring Aaliyah. 

One of these days I'm going to solicit my work for publishing, it's just that my work is pure and a publishing company needs to be reasonable with content editing...

#4 2005-06-12 23:29:03

Kaden

How are you awakened?

#5 2005-06-13 07:29:34

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

by anothere were, shown the ways

#6 2005-06-13 12:09:50

Figarou

shhhhhhh...I have a secret.

*whispers*

I toss rubber duckies.

*/whispers*

big_smile

#7 2005-06-13 12:22:53

JamieD

guess that's better than seeing dead people..big_smile

I had a mentor...big_smile

ask not for whom the bell tolls....it tolls for thee.

#8 2005-06-13 12:44:30

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

who?

#9 2005-06-13 12:58:15

Figarou

JamieD wrote:

guess that's better than seeing dead people..big_smile

I had a mentor...big_smile

I see potential victims!! Time to toss rubber duckies!!

Muwa ha ha ha ha!!

Oh look!!! Clock face!! big_smile

#10 2005-06-13 15:59:27

JamieD

::: pounces on Figlet and drags him by the scruff::: take it back!! big_smile

#11 2005-06-13 20:17:23

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

no no, let me...

#12 2005-06-13 20:20:36

NinjaWolf

Give him a good Army/Karate move, like Chuck Norris did. wink

Silly, werewolf! Tricks are for ninjas! XD

#13 2005-06-13 20:51:55

WolfVanZandt
Website

"First I'll tell you medically what i know...

1. body temp is about 3 degrees cooler than normal, this is for a reason, if we develop the ability to shift body temperature would climb very high, so those few degrees is a buffer to prevent us from reaching that zone in temp where damage can occur to the brain"

Some of us have a slightly higher body temperature. That's probably just general variation and not related to Wereism. We all ride somewhere on a normal curve.

"2 not absolutley sure but i believe we are all a negaitve blood type"

THat's an interesting idea - I'l have to check it out. That would be a rather fortuitous thing for a genetic theory.

"3.eye color changes to mood, but angry brings out a golden hazel."

Very often - they do change but I know grey eyed Werewolves who's eyes go deep blue and sometimes violet. There are others that claim that their eye color doesn't change - maybe they are just even tempered or they don't look in the mirror at the right time.

"4. we come in all shapes and sizes, we are all strong, fast and resilient, even if the person in questioned hasnt been awakened to that knowledge."

That's likely more a result of a more intentional life style. I don't know of any weakling Werewolves but I'm not ready to say that they don't exist. People who pay attention to things, for instance, will have a better feel for fulcrum points and such and will, therefore, seem stronger than they actually are. People who are aware of their motions will move in a more deliberate manner and will have a better sense of body position and speed. But you will find Werewolves weaker than particular nonWeres and you will find Werewolves stronger than particular nonWeres. Again, we all ride the normal curve - now whether the averages are different - I'm interested in doing the research and there's plenty of resources out there to do it. Many Weres do have extremely "hot" immune systems, though which can be an advantage in fighting off diseases and healing injuries but it back fires.

"most can dreamshift at a minimum, this starts as an involuntary thing." I know people that set of my "Weredar" that claim to have never dreamshifted. Purhaps they don't remeber it but it does seem that Weres with "phantom bodies" (that is, more of a sense of having a second animal body) dream more as an animal.

"almost all of us have a hell of a nose, can even get us headaches from sensory overloads, so please, skip the deodrant and scented body wash." Most of us - yes; but then again, I think it's because we actually use our noses instead of just drifting around letting our nose do what it wants and, for the most part, ignoring it. I don't think the physiology is any different. And, actually, I sorta enjoy sensory variety so I like mildly sented shower gel. It can get rather irritating if it's too strong, though.

"because we are feral creatures we are subject to instincts over brains, at least to the more experienced of us that allow the wolf-brain to take over pretty much all the time." I prefer the term "wild". "Feral" implies that you are a domesticated creature that has partially lost your domestication. But I also don't like the term "subject". My instincts are in full operation (unlike the average nonWere) but I can countermand them when appropriate.

"as far as i know you cannot be turned a werewolf, so very sorry, but i dont think we have disease or virus that roams in our blood and saliva, if that was true, there are a few young females out there that im responsible for." I agree. If you're a Werewolf, you were born that way. Lacking complete evidence, my best guess is that there is, at least, a strong genetic factor involved - but some Weres will argue the point so - I could be wrong.

I will also propose the use of the word "physiological" instead of "medical". "Medical" makes it sound like a disease.

BTW, there is an intensive and ongoing debate going on in the Therian community relating to all of these issues and there are some answers and a lot of questions.

And it may even be the norm to be  a Werewolf and not know it. Certainly a huge proportion of Werewolves are not in contact with the established community. I have a rule. If I run into a Werewolf who doesn't know what they are but their life is going well - I don't throw a bomb into their life. If they're having problems because they're a Werewolf and they don't understand why their life is the way it is - I tell them  and they usually appreciate it.

In general (but there is plenty of variations), Werewolves are very down to earth - not gamers. They may play role games incidentally, but I've never known one to get caught up by one as many nonWeres do.

Werewolves have a high predispposition toward certain diseases - specifically inflammatory conditions (including adult onset diabetes and asthma) and migraines. They also have some physical predispositions such as shovel teeth and body asymmetries.

Weres have a predisposition toward shamanistic experiences.

And Weres tend to be strongly empathic (in fact, I believe taht is the central behavioral distinction of Weres). Because of that, many Weres (those in connact with other Weres) can very often identify other Weres that the do not know by sight (I hate it but we call that "Weredar" (groan)).

Although Weres do tend to exhibit a lot of affect disorder; they tend to function well despite it. In general, Weres tend to be very stable emotionally. THey also tend to be altruistic. They may say that they hate all  Homids but their behavior generally is that they'd give you the shirt off their back if you really needed it.

Wereness is pervasive so it would be very difficult to list every way that we differ from nonWeres. But most of the distinctives are nothing like you would expect from fictional Werewolves.

Werewolves tend toward overweight and can be absolutely obese. They tend to be very hairy - that much is true - but their body hair tends to be very fine and light collored and so isn't very obvious. That is not true - for example - of Werefoxes, who tend to have dark body hair. In the right light, Werewolves eyebrows can seem to just disappear which can make their faces look rather "plain".

All Were distinctives are matters of predisposition because different genetic mixes tend to alter the way Wereism is expressed. A Werewolf with a lot of Native American blood tends to be not so hairy.

I personally believe that "theriotype" (the animal that a Were "is") follows personality and that, in turn is heavily influenced by physique.

Many of us do have a berserker's tendancy but we also tend to master it well.

I think there may be an ankle displasia. Some of us have a bad tendency of turning our ankle if we don't kep our weight on the balls of our feet and toes.

I  notice that Weres tend to "feed off" one another so that a Were that is in regular contact with other Weres tend to exhibit much more of the Were traits including the physiological ones.

And on and on. I could write a book.

#14 2005-06-13 20:52:37

WolfVanZandt
Website

Chuck Norris hit Figarou??!!??

#15 2005-06-13 23:21:02

Speedbump

WolfVanZandt wrote:

And on and on. I could write a book.

Please do. So much of this hits home.

#16 2005-06-14 00:36:18

Figarou

JamieD wrote:

::: pounces on Figlet and drags him by the scruff::: take it back!! big_smile

Never!!!

I can see its 9:45pm big_smile LOL!!

Army Grey Wolf wrote:

no no, let me...

beware the explosive duckie!!

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Chuck Norris hit Figarou??!!??

huh? I think not!!! big_smile

Last edited by Figarou (2005-06-14 00:36:44)

#17 2005-06-14 02:41:18

BlueEyesWolf

WolfVanZandt wrote:

I could write a book.

You do that and I want you to sign it for me!

#18 2005-06-14 08:42:29

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

ok sure...but personally ill put it simply this way, im ruled day to day by my wolf-brain (think i get that term from a book) as long as ive got no reason to get overly excited over something im a fairly normal and rational person...but should things swing a way that puts me in danger, instinct tkaes over, cant help it, and at lunch today ill talk about something else i discovered, with me personally

#19 2005-06-14 19:36:10

WolfVanZandt
Website

I know what you're talking about Army, just realize that, just as in the larger human population, there's variation in the Were Community.

As for a book, I've thought about it....and that's about it. My goal is to bring the Therian Community together into a coherent whole. I do not mean that I want there to be a Society of Were Creatures with a residing alpha or such - that would be ill conceived (not to mention that it would be completely out of nature for Therians) but I do want Therianism to shift from a predominantly Internet phenomenon to a Real Life phenomenon. I want Weres to know other Weres face to face.

As to why we are the way we are - it's important to a lot of Therians and for that reason, I support research in the Were Community but I don't think that it's first priority.

So, if I can manage to provide information (and I try to do so on Were resources and my own site), I will, but that has to come after the Howls and the telephone calls and the informal meetings and the road trips.

#20 2005-06-14 19:42:19

WolfVanZandt
Website

As to the instinct thing - you probably shouldn't try to "help it". It's there for a reason. NonWeres are left with things like automatic breathing and heart rate for instincts. There are just some things that you shouldn't have to think about before you do them. You shouldn't have to think about what you are going to do in a crisis. For a fighter, training before hand takes care of that. Weres are blessed with still functioning instinct. That's a good thing.

But there is a such a thing as fine tuning your instinct so a berserker's rage doesn't harm friend and enemy alike. You can make sure that your instinct naturally flows into constructive channels.

#21 2005-06-14 23:45:48

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

ine got that aspect down to a science, if i could get into telling you about my preteen isolation becasue of what i am, i would, thats subject for a different time, im here to tell all...

ok i can see arthritus being a HUGE problem, i mean come on think about that nobody goes through things as hard on their body as a were does, and why? well beacause we can and do, we are more cabable but are subject to the joint fatique, its only when our regenerative abilities degrade this show, which brings me to the real subject, if you are a were

and i am being truthful and this is advice i expect to be adhered to...
if youre a were, you need to do certain things, one you need to run not literally as much as you need to release energy, using as much as you can come up with, you need to consume quite a bit and stop with the sugars and fast food, that shite will kill us very early, protein should be 50 to 60 percent of your diet, msuclular growth and such so that goes without saying, eat roughly 6 times a day, breakfast should be the largest meal by far... stretch, constantly, if you can shift you already know this, i spend almost an hour a day stretching, two exercising, minimum, i run every single day seven days a week, i am comfortable to say i am far above anothers physical strength for my size...gotta train for it, our peak is alot higher, but harder to attain...remeber that

and illnesses what illnesses if you actually allow your body to function as it wa designed, stop eating garbage and such, try tolive how a wolf would, its our intention anyhow, be active, eat protein and eat alot.  dont worry about common ailments, asthma where does that come from im curious, migrains and sinus problems are understandable due to a heightened sensitivty to noise and smells, ver easily irritated... ill tell more later, chomp at the bit till then,

and WVZ, can i get a quick bio from you?

#22 2005-06-15 01:10:17

JamieD

WVZ has a very interesting website...big_smile

#23 2005-06-15 12:43:03

Army Grey Wolf
Werewolf Writer
Website

i read a bit of it...very interesting...but im specific, as in what i am, and those specific to myself, though i welcome everyone, believe me i dont discriminate or look down from above, trust me not gonna happen, do i suggest we all get together, on a religius aspect and assign an alpha, most scertainly not.  I dont suggest we get together in a large group at all ever.  I'm sorry but some of us are much more aware that we have our territory, we stay in it, internet is a perfect medium to approach another pack without incident.  I am the Alpha, with seven memebr including myslef, and I intend to stay small, I've appointed a pack "babysitter" to basically regulate the demeanor of all of us, not let anything get too far out of hand so to speak.  We also make it a point to protect our fellow man (yes humans, i am one in a certain aspect arent i?), protection, dominance, selflessness... my personal qualities, as long as those are respected at the appropriate time, everything is good and you can find yourslef with a really good friend.

as for what i said before...

now i know i preach diet exercise, same shite to everyone right, well yes and no... for most ppl there are no real detrimental effects to minimal exercise and a semi-healthy diet, body adapts easily...

for a were, same could be said, but once the ball starts rolling you cant go back, once you reach pinnacle you have to maintain, or fear wasting away, if i dont eat for more than i day im soooo tired, cranky, among other things, also exercising, if i cant get rid of this energy on a regular basis, i explode sometimes at the wrong moment, though this can be good for someone to try a shift, to a point, again ill input more later... till then see ya

#24 2005-06-15 16:53:07

WinterMoon

i know this is rather a personal question but doesn't anyone get like a mate for survival instinct. I do quite well holding it back but it might just be me. And i have realised that me and my were friends are always faster. My quick and easy method of finding weres is, when they are running or going at a kind of trot, look to see if they are standing right on their toes. Nonweres always have a tendency to hit their heels on the floor first, but it slows them down dramaticcaly. Plus, lots of weres move their spines in time to their running, so they tend to move their heads backwards and forwards. It does absorb a lot more shock and the running-on-toes thing gives a lot more power and speed to running. (phew long post)

Eat to live but enjoy the hunt.

Proud to be female.

#25 2005-06-15 18:22:49

slave2moonlight
Website

For anyone who wants to learn about wereism from a straightforward, thoroughly investigative and knowledgeable source, I've never discovered a more impressive informant than WolfVanZandt. I've thoroughly enjoyed reading his posts over the past year or so. I don't encounter other weres in real-life. My location doesn't offer up much opportunity for that, and I tend to be very wary of other people in general. To go further in depth about that, I have only made 2 very good friends (in person) since High School (12 years ago), because it takes time for me to trust people (bringing my "very close friends" total to 3). On the subject of being a werewolf, I'm even more careful, especially about others who claim to be weres or who try to give me the definite rules on anything. Role players can get on my nerves at times, but no less than folks who come along with all the answers to a subject that has been covered over for centuries. I like to hear the different theories, and many often ring true for me, but my ears perk up whenever they are given as hard definites for all werewolves, or when there's too much talk of shifting, mysticism, and superpowers. That's not to say such things can't have their basis in fact, but they are topics to be wary about.

Anyway, I can see statements from Army Grey Wolf that I do connect with. WolfVanZandt pointed many of them out, and the fact is that any of us, were or not, would do better with exercise and an all natural diet. Being a werewolf doesn't automatically inspire you to adhere to that, though.

Anyway, just some stats from one werewolf; here's some physical details on me that sometimes match the above posts, and sometimes don't:

Eyes: My eyes are brown around the pupil, followed by a ring of yellow, and then the outer ring of green. The three colors often trade off dominance over my eyes. Not sure if that doesn't have more to do with lighting than mood though. However, I've never checked my eye color in relation to my mood.

Healing/health: My wounds do close extremely fast, however, it can take forever for the mark to disappear, if it ever does completely. My father is a retired butcher who heals quite quickly also. I rarely visit doctors, though I have always had sinus troubles, and as a very small child it was a different story. I had asthma, though never to the point of having to use a pump or anything, but I think that's because I was taking monthly shots instead. I eventually insisted that I'd had enough of that business though, and so we stopped, and I find myself wondering if I ever had asthma at all, but certainly don't discount it altogether. As for other health details, I certainly need to put myself on a strict diet and exercise regiment. My body has never been particularly good at burning callories and fat, and my sinus trouble and constant battle with the heat (99 degrees is pretty much the average where I live most days out of the year) has kept me from ever enjoying any form of exercise.

Hair: I have a lot of body hair, and it sometimes appears darker than at other times. Usually, it is not that noticeable unless you really look, yet it is there and plentiful. Up top, I have thick and full dark brown hair. Lots of white hair though, particularly on the sides. The white hair showed up in my mid-20s and gets worse every year, though it still isn't noticeable from a distance. No chance I'll ever go bald. My eyebrows are dark too, but not bushy or anything. Still, they are very definite, solid eyebrows, and I could easily grow a beard as thick and dark as the hair on my head. Well, a picture of me can be seen here: http://www.fangoria.com/forums/index.php?showuser=8908

Teeth: My canines are prominant, but not strikingly so, and they and the front teeth inbetween, top AND bottom, are about the only teeth I have that haven't been filled, ha. I drink milk like a mad man, but I guess my sweet tooth was too strong.

Body Temp and Blood: I don't know if my body temperature is normal, I believe it is, but I can say that I am always trying to get cool. I like the a/c cranked up (though I might get under a blanket), and I like COLD drinks. I am usually complaining that it's too hot. I have no idea what my blood type is. I wish I did. Gotta look into that.

Misc: I don't know if any of this is of interest, but here's some more. I'm around 5'9. Well, sometimes I state that I'm 5'7, and that's because every time I measure myself, that's what I get, and I believe I am accurately measuring myself. Still, everyone else says I'm 5'9, which is what I was told when I was measured in High School... I have small hands and feet for a guy, though not freakishly, noticeably so. Short fingers, not so short toes. Yes, I've had plenty of dreams where I physically shifted, but I also have plenty of dreams where I can fly, and countless dreams where I am an exorcist. My fingernails and toe nails grow extremely fast and I find it very difficult to keep up with them, particularly my fingernails. You usually see me with nails that are a bit long for a male. They're healthy and pretty darn tough, too. Other stuff...I don't drink, smoke, or do drugs, and I'm not sexually active (though my sex-drive is through the roof). I don't suppose the drinking, etc... have much to do with being a were, I don't know. Maybe they do. I have never had any desire to alter my reality or anything like that. I'm not comfortable with that. As for my sex-life, I have always thought my desire to only be with one mate might have some connection to my werewolfism, but that could be incorrect. As I said, my drive is strong, but I am always focused on one individual, and I do not lose that focus until it seems impossible and I move on to someone else. In other words, casual sex or multiple short-term relationships are things I have never desired to seek out.

I'm sure I'm forgetting some things, but that's plenty for now. And seriously, Wolf VanZandt, you should write a book on the subject. It could probably do much more for weres than all the Howls and meetings you could go to.

"Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." -- "You'll shoot your eye out, kid!" -- "What's that star on the wall for?" -- "I've got a bad feeling about this." -- "I didn't get a 'harumph' outta that guy!" -- "You wanna talk to God? Let's go see him together. I've got nothing better to do."

Board footer