The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-05-10 09:13:03

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Re: Need to know more about werewolves/Therians

yeah, therians have that alot... well... alot of "occult people", if you know what I mean, have that in some way.  Vampires supposedly can "taste" it, psychics can supposedly read it out of people, witches are supposedly "in tune" with it. (Don't take that as fact though, it's not, just a stereotype)
Anyway, we should probably try to pin down some questions and such and put them in the FAQ under the broader "how do you know if you're a therian?"

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#27 2009-05-11 10:36:59

WerewolfLeaAnn

ummmm, WolfVanZandt , i was asking Hige Unari that question, not you.
Anyways, do you dream as a wolf, Hige Unari,(not WolfVanZandt)?

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#28 2009-05-11 13:37:28

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Sorry For interjecting, but I had a thought about the psychology of Therianthropy.  I find that the concept mirrors any other state of mind that individuals can have.  In physics a new theory that is being looked into is the creation of reality, it states that atoms are a mass of energy and do not have any form until they are interpretation by a brain. This would mean that everyone, every individual has their very own reality, which can overlap with the realities of individuals they come into contact with.  In the case of Therianthropy, it is just a version of how the brain can interpret its reality, a way for you to make sense of the stimuli that lie within the world.  Everyone has a different interpretation, but those who have similar ones get grouped as having the all the same interpretation.  As mentioned here there is "Therian," and "Mainstream" titles for these groups when in fact they are false due to everyone having a different interpretation.  Really the only individual who has any say on what your reality means to you and how you interpret that reality is you. Only you can say what your reality is for you are its creator.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#29 2009-05-11 13:57:39

bdk336
Website

Okay I just can't stay away from any discussion about psychology. I think it is very UNLIKELY that only therians dream of being animals. For one you will find that more than half of the material on psychology, as with material on most things, out there is fairly close-minded, focused entirely upon proving a point or constricted by preconceptions and social conditioning. So just because they don't mention being an animal doesn't mean it is totally unheard of, it just means that there isn't any data on it and they haven't thought to talk about it.

More importantly I think that even open-minded people are conditioned, to some extent or other, into societal norms, and that this conditioning causes their subconscious, the part of the mind that is active in creating dreams, to automatically reject any possibility of what they consider to be "fiction" such as being an animal. In other words because something is not physically possible their subconscious automatically rejects the prospect of exploring it further. There are some people, myself included, that don't stop looking at something just because it's most literal implication is not possible.

The last thing I want to say on dreams is that I have learned a fair amount about psychology in general including dreams through self introspection, my father who is very knowledgeable on it (not a psychologist but went through quite a bit of psychology in college and self-exploration workshops) and a few things from various articles and other random pieces of information (I'm very good at remembering even tiny details when they interest me). One book that my father showed me on dream interpretation basically explores how every character, or other major influence, in a dream ties into the self. Basically it says that every thing you interact with in the dream, even if it is a specific person you know, is an embodiment of some part of yourself (usually subconscious). So yourself as an animal and an animal you interact with in your dream are both parts of you.

Personally I have had exactly one dream, that I can remember (I shared in another topic that I often don't remember my dreams), in which I actually transformed into a wolf (I wasn't sure in the dream how completely I had transformed and wasn't truly concerned with it) but while I have greater empathy for animals than others and I'm interested in werewolves and the like I've done quite a bit of introspection and I believe that this has risen more out of my tendency to explore every aspect of these deeper psychological questions, and of anything else that catches my interest, since I was young. Basically I just have gained alot more through internal deliberation than most people so I am generally more open and better at understanding that which is not part of "normal" everyday life.

Okay now that I'm done with that back to Hige Unari's question. Aside from the dreams, which I think I've gone into far more detail than necessary about, we really need you to give us more specifics of these possible "signs." There are some things that are recognized to be aspects of a therian but if you could tell us anything that would be, for lack of a better phrase, on the list, you would already know. We will be much more able to help you out if you tell us what else you think might be a sign of being a therian.

#30 2009-05-11 16:52:00

Vindicator
Website

One final interruption, bdk336 that was fantastic.  I agree with you in almost everything you have said. But back to Hige Unari, I would still standby and say the only authority on your dreams is yourself, only you can decide if they mean anything to you and what they say about yourself.  Anyone here can  try to explain "signs" but the only real ones are the ones you recognize and interpret for yourself. Good luck on your quest for self, and remember your not alone for everyone is upon the same quest.

#31 2009-05-11 23:52:39

WolfVanZandt
Website

I've read quite a bit on dream interpretation from the viewpoint that you mentioned, bdk, and I find it very persuasive, but part of this technique is the assumption that the less "human" a dream element is, the more the person wants to disown that part of their self. In other words, if they dream of a wolf, the wolf represents, not only part of their self, but a part that they don't want to accept.

As for psychology just not mentioning dreaming as an animal, dream interpretation has been a big thing every sense Freud and there have been innumerable dream dictionaries published that have tried to exhaustively describe everything you might run into in a dream and I have yet seen one that includes "dreaming that you are an animal". It's not just a matter of psychologists talking about things they think are important. On this issue, they've tried to be exhaustive.

Now, if you're saying that you're not a Therian and you actually dreamed that you're a wolf, then that would certainly be significant. It would seem to be rare, but it would be significant. Since it is rare, it wold be important to be sure that you're actually not a Therian and that the dream wasn't one of those common dreams that are fabricated after waking (the way you do that is to keep a dream journal and write down dream impressions immediately upon awakening before the mind has had the opportunity to "fill in thte blanks".

#32 2009-05-12 00:18:42

WolfVanZandt
Website

Being other people in dreams isn't that uncommon. It plays the same part as nonhuman dream elements. The further you get away from yourself, the less you want to accept what the dream element represents. Another human wouldn't signify total rejection, but would be a move in that direction. It allows you to do things you wouldn't ordinarily do and say, "but that wasn't me."

The other position is that you have certain "architypal" characters in your mind that provide certain functions in your mental life - such as reservoirs of wisdom, protectors, and heroes. When you "play" other people in your dreams, you may be rehearsing those "parts".

#33 2009-05-12 00:21:11

Vindicator
Website

Very Interesting....... WolfVanZandt you are  full of information.

Last edited by Vindicator (2009-05-12 00:21:25)

#34 2009-05-12 01:07:35

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Being other people in dreams isn't that uncommon. It plays the same part as nonhuman dream elements. The further you get away from yourself, the less you want to accept what the dream element represents. Another human wouldn't signify total rejection, but would be a move in that direction. It allows you to do things you wouldn't ordinarily do and say, "but that wasn't me."

Heh, that never really happens to me, because, well, I do what I please. XD (though, occasionally I'm a girl, or part raccoon or something, but that's not someone else, that's me with a different look)

Vindicator wrote:

Very Interesting....... WolfVanZandt you are  full of information.

He's just an informational sort of guy! (of course, as he well knows, I'm vivaciously verbose.  He KNOWS what I'm talking about. >!O)

Now: as for this dream stuff.  The dictionaries and such are offlebiff, the only person who knows what a symbol in a dream means is you, and you are the only one who can effectively interpret them.  I've had dreams that would mean one thing to one person, but mean something entirely different to me. (classic example is the one's where I'm part raccoon or female, which most people would really need to look at, that's not surprising at all to me, what's surprising is that that tree has no leaves like its been frozen!  I don't see that anywhere!)

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#35 2009-05-12 13:39:25

bdk336
Website

Vindicator and WolfVanZandt, I agree with just about all the stuff you guys said about psychology and dreams, I could go into about ten times what I wrote on dreams/psychology but I don't think anyone will want to read that amount of information. What I did forget was to drive the point home more that most people fear, avoid and reject their more instinctual sides and that this manifests itself in dreams, as well as the functions that being someone/thing other than yourself serves.

As for that one dream I did write it down but it was just a little note on a piece of paper that I was lucky to have next to my bed since I don't normally track dreams. I have since lost the note but I think that unlike some of the dreams this one hasn't been "filled in" as it is pretty much impossible for me to derive any clear facts or sensations from it, it's more that I can form some sense of my thoughts/feelings during the dream (not that these are, or should be, incredibly clear) and remember realizing what was happening to me.

Also WolfVanZandt, aside from looking into myself as much as possible (as in making a conscious effort to do so every day since I was about 13) and concluding that, in addition to innumerable other things, I am not what I believe most people here would consider a therian (as in having an actual animal that is part of me/inside me), you actually gave the answer to the reason it is so rare and why I'm an exception: The vast majority of people, as I said in the first paragraph of this post, reject the more instinctive and animal-like parts of themselves (in most cases this is almost completely subconscious) and thus that which they most want to reject about themselves can appear as an animal in dreams. Unlike most people I do not reject those parts of myself and make a conscious effort to explore and embrace them which, for the large part, has been or resulted in a positive experience or change for me. Therefore, unlike most, I don't project that which I want to reject onto an animal character, if anything I tend to project that which I most want to accept onto animals and that which I don't onto human characters (most "evils" in the world would not exist were it not for the extent to which the human mind has developed, not that good things haven't come out of this too or that every human character in my dreams/imagination is a negative element).

By the way alot of these major psychological tendencies are major, if not immediately obvious, themes in the story I am working on for the cafe (progressing very slowly due to school work).

Last edited by bdk336 (2009-05-12 13:40:49)

#36 2009-05-12 23:32:58

WolfVanZandt
Website

Now: as for this dream stuff.  The dictionaries and such are offlebiff, the only person who knows what a symbol in a dream means is you, and you are the only one who can effectively interpret them.

I agree completely. My favorite form of dream interpretation is Gestalt analysis which totally relies on the dreamer to determine what dream elements mean.

Unlike most people I do not reject those parts of myself and make a conscious effort to explore and embrace them which, for the large part, has been or resulted in a positive experience or change for me.

That is an interesting possibility as to why Mainstreamers might not, as a rule, dream as animals and how certain exceptions to the rule might exist.

And, as noted, I am indeed full of it....

smile

#37 2009-05-13 08:12:49

WerewolfLeaAnn

ahhhhh, never mind about my question!!!

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#38 2009-05-13 16:33:16

bdk336
Website

Now: as for this dream stuff.  The dictionaries and such are offlebiff, the only person who knows what a symbol in a dream means is you, and you are the only one who can effectively interpret them.

I agree completely. My favorite form of dream interpretation is Gestalt analysis which totally relies on the dreamer to determine what dream elements mean.

This is what my dad explores and that I believe is the only way of interpretation that gives you true results. Not that other people can't help guide you, but dreams, as with nearly all matters of inner psyche, can only really be brought to light by the dreamer themselves.

Also sorry for sort of hijacking your thread Hige Unari.

Last edited by bdk336 (2009-05-15 14:09:46)

#39 2009-05-18 11:23:29

WerewolfLeaAnn

hehe, i have a friend who dreams of wolves all the time
(hehe last name is wolfe, soo...) but that has nothing to do with this...

#40 2010-03-08 15:29:30

werewolf-97
Website

hi ummm...I have a question to,I need some advice from you guys I need to know if I am a therian/lyco I might have been experiencing some of the signs recently and I am a little worried can you help me coz I don't want to end up killing no one...
some of the signs are: heightend senses smell sight hearing ect
I also recently have developed a love for raw meat or very under cooked
I have always had a special connection with dogs and wolfs when used to go to the zoo I always wanted to see the wolfs first and they would come right up to the bars and lick me
I keep having this realy weird dream were a pack of wolfs come up to me and ask me to follow them and to join them I look down and I have paws instead of hands
I get angry easily to someone took the piss out of me yesterday and they ended up in hospital with a broken ankle
I've also got a thin layer of black hair on my arms and have become seemingly nocturnal
when I get angry there is this hot itchy sensation under my skin and I see red I don't remember anything only pain and feeling sick with a raking headache afterwards I also get compulsive shivers running through me
I am hot all the time to I took my temperature yesterday and it was like 55 degrease
I often wakeup either on the floor in a little ball or outside forrests especialy on warm nights on a full moon I wake up naked or in ripped clothes covered in blood in the middle of nowere i heal preaty fast to I guess
I've also grown he'll of alot all this started at the begining of theyear I was 5,1 now I'm about 5,9 5,10 I get urges to lick people and growl under my breath alot I hate being in crowds and with alot of people
I reaserched alot but none of it seems reliable or to be the truth
I'm 13 so I hear I'm too young and also I'm dyslexic spell check I love you I hear this can be a sign any one with any reasonable answers?
oh and could it also be because my parents are werewolfs? it happened last year when I found out long story short I couldn't sleep it was a full moon they wernt on bed so I went to the garden and there were 2wolfs sitting in the garden shreads of my parents pj's all around then they still don't know that I've found out... HELP MEEEEE!!!!!!...,, please xxxx:) ;p

#41 2010-03-08 16:14:47

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

You are definitely a werewolf. There is only one cure. You must shave all of your hair, run outside at exactly 3:46am on March 15th during the new moon, and scream up at the sky "Gulla, gulla, lupta!" Then run back inside as quick as you can and drink an entire glass mixed with milk and two raw eggs before the clock strikes 4am. If you do all of these things, then you will be human.

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#42 2010-03-08 19:08:18

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

White Wolf, you forgot the part about bathing in the blood of virgin hamsters. It's absolutely FUNDAMENTAL to the cure.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#43 2010-03-09 13:27:23

WerewolfLeaAnn

I hardly ever dream as a human, WVZ. mostly its wolf's dream... i dream as a wolf.

#44 2010-03-09 13:37:00

WerewolfLeaAnn

*shakes head* i leave the forum and you go insane.
werewolf-97 you have many of the signs, but some of them, i should say you need to relax on. Being a werewolf isn't a bad thing, you just need control and you need to learn to meditate. I nor anyone else can tell you if you are or are not a werewolf.

#45 2010-03-10 13:02:14

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Werewolves did WTC!
  ____   ____
  |___|  |___|     ^
  |___|  |___|  <==A
  |___|  |___|     V
  |___|  |___|
_|___|_|___|_
|___________|

We are, indeed, an unstoppable force walking among you.  There is no escape.  We will one day rule the planet, using you feeble mortals as livestock.

#46 2010-03-11 13:43:06

bdk336
Website

I wouldn't taste very good, is there an alternate option?

By the way if your temperature was 55 degrees you'd be dead.

Last edited by bdk336 (2010-03-11 13:56:59)

#47 2010-03-14 00:23:17

lupusindefined
Dark Shadow

sherlawkdragon>> rofl big_smile funny big_smile
bdk336>> i beg to differ...some people may  naturaly have a much higher temperature than most people...its not normal but since when have weres been normal??

Lupus

silver bullets dont work... not on me anyway =P ...the other guy however.... *looks at dead body lying on the ground*

#48 2010-03-14 06:02:15

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

lupusindefined wrote:

I know, 9/11 jokes are the best!

#49 2010-03-14 10:42:57

bdk336
Website

lupusindefined wrote:

bdk336>> i beg to differ...some people may  naturaly have a much higher temperature than most people...its not normal but since when have weres been normal??

What you've said is true but this falls WAY outside the range of natural variation in temperature.

Allow me to clarify. Assuming that you are ANY mammal (or bird for that matter):

A body temperature of 55 Fahrenheit would have you dying of hypothermia within about 10-20 minutes.

Whereas a temperature of 55 Celcius would be so hot as to cause immediate death.

#50 2010-03-14 19:59:32

lupusindefined
Dark Shadow

yeah they can bey pretty funny...especialy when your just out of it and you will laugh at pretty much everything big_smile

Lupus

silver bullets dont work... not on me anyway =P ...the other guy however.... *looks at dead body lying on the ground*

Board footer