Shadows creep, slowing crawling closer and closer
The saving scream gets caught in your throat
The bed creeks with the presence of something unseen
And suddenly, the air once so sweet is choking you;
A deadly poison caught in your throat.
Movements once enabled are now frozen,
A complete paralysis taking over.
The thing moves in closer, its hot breath saturating you-
Its force crashing down on your body; so delicate.
No one is around as you start to feel your breathing shallow,
Nothing to save you, no one to want to.
Your eyes widen, but all you see is the vast nothingness of black
Consuming you in its entirety.
Slowly your body eases into death.
It won. You never stood a chance.
As one last ray of light passes before your eyes you see it-
The thing that has become the last of you
And as you realize who it is, shock stops your heart for good.
It was you.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown
Apart, we are broken. Together, we are one.
Oh yeah...did I forget to mention that I'm unhealthily obsessed with bunnies?

#2 2009-01-05 23:53:52

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Re: Nightmares

No one realizes the effect that something had on them until they no longer have it. Just like no one knows just how much help they need until they’ve received it. When trying to figure out the world, no one realizes just how little they really know about it until they start learning. It’s almost frightening really. There are some things I never thought would exist. I had wished they did, oh how I had wished. But the things I wished would exist were fantasy; that is, the them that –I- wanted was fantasy. The reality was that although yes, they were real, but they…they were the things of nightmares not fantasy. They were the things that went bump in the night and felt you shaking and crying under your covers. When I learned the reality of these creatures that for so long I had wished to be one of, I was devastated. Yet…then I learned something else new. I learned that no matter how grim the reality was, there really were exceptions to every rule. And he…he was my exception.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown

#3 2009-01-15 12:47:25

Cap'n Edward
Website

I truly like this...not obvious, deep, and with a great twist at the end smile great writing xXx

I have no class--I remembered as I walked the streets of San Juan--tonite I'm just an undead pirate captain. And me crew's all I have.

#4 2009-01-16 12:48:12

Goldie

Beautiful, just, ju-just beautiful. smile

how can never ever be ever if never ever was ever, ever?
yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#5 2009-06-30 23:52:04

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Thank you. That last one was actually more real than I think anyone will ever realize. Except him.

I really need to update my writing. I've been gone for so long.

BUT I'VE STARTED A STORY NOW!!!!

#6 2009-07-01 00:10:45

Illeana_NightRain
Website

He was my fallen angel. He was exactly opposite of what I had learned his kind really was. He was the evil that wanted to be good. I scoffed at that thought. Evil never wanted to be good. Evil had no feelings, no thoughts, no ambitions other than to cause pain and suffering on those around him. But he was different. No matter how much it hurt him, he went against his being. The DNA of that whom had taught him, the very way he was raised, he fought against. He was taught anger and hate, yet he strived to send and teach love and compassion. And it was he, my fallen angel, that taught me what I was. I was not as I had always thought. Those things I learned about, the things I had wanted to be until I found out how it really was actually ran through my very own blood. But yet, it was deeper than that. Deeper than looks or appearances, or even blood. It was engraved in my very spirit. A part of me no matter what life I was in. I was descendant of that which started one side of this war I had learned about. I fought against it. I rejected it to no end. I did not want to be a part of this. I did not want this cast upon me. But he was there and he taught me that, even though I thought these things bad, even evil, like him, I did not have to be that way. And not everyone was that way. I did not have to be evil despite what I had learned. And not all other like me were evil. I still had a chance. There was still a chance.

#7 2009-07-01 03:11:55

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Interesting soliloquy in these two paragraphs, Illeana.
  With a tone heavy in elegance and foreboding, possibly regret, you explain the desire to go against the inclinations of your being. It's a classic line of thought, but you say it directly and poetically, drawing the reader into the question of what happened and why. Nice hook.

I must admit that both paragraphs seem to be a little repetitive. You could trim the fat and merge them into an astounding prologue, but that would be up to you.

Even so, you have a romantic and graceful writing style, and I'd encourage you to continue.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#8 2009-07-01 18:34:19

Illeana_NightRain
Website

*happy tail wag* Thanks!

I'll be honest, both of these things don't really lead up to a story. they might one day, but as it is, they are true things from my head.

#9 2009-07-02 00:41:12

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Forbidden

Twilight ascends on a lonely soul
From out of the darkness a hand lay rest
Softly upon the shoulder
“Come with me” it beckons
“I can show you a life better than this” it says
Slowly following it unto the chambers of night
A Soul is laid down, candles and moon the only light
The hand that is that of a man long lost
Wanders its way down the soul’s body not seen
To places untouched by a creature so gentle
Never seen by eyes so caring
The person to whom the soul belongs to shudders
A soft scream of ecstasy escaping
Escaping the throat which holds the life sustainer
The very one that the mouth attached to the body of the hand wishes to claim
Slowly tender kisses work their way up
A cold member enters a warm soft flesh
Passion explodes as they lay side by side
Love unspoken present hand in hand
This soul is no longer lonely
The hand no longer at rest
A long forbidden love
Dangerous and exciting
She is the lamb
And he, the lion

#10 2009-07-02 16:05:05

Illeana_NightRain
Website

This is a new story that I've been working on in my spare time.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

WAITING FOR SUNRISE

CHAPTER 1

Working in a bar was never my ideal idea of a job, but when you’re going through college you take what you can get. Of course, school during the day and working nights doesn’t leave much room for sleep, so when I get a phone call during my sleep time, it better be important.

“Lanni, pack meeting started 15 minutes ago. Where are you?” Of course, when you’re a werewolf, everything is important all the time.

“I’m sleeping. What do you mean…?” I looked at the clock and it read 5:15 PM. I had slept longer than I normally did. “shite. I over slept. I’m sorry Mark. Tell James I’m on my way.”

“Will do, but Lanni, expect to be in trouble. This is the second one this month.” He may be my age, but sometimes I felt like he talked down to me like I was a child. Then again, as an unmated female, I was the bottom of the pack.

“Yeah, I know. Now let me go so I can get ready.” I hung up and searched for my clothing. As comfortable as I was, I doubted showing up to a meeting late wearing nothing but lacey underwear would be appropriate. Sure, we’d all seen each other naked before, but that’s only before and after the change. Showing up like this now would cause some of the unmated boys to have unwanted reactions and that would be disruptive.
Finally dressed I searched for my car keys. One of these days I’ll get one of those beepers for them. Then again, I’d probably loose the remote. The cage in the corner rattled. My white floppy rabbit nudged at his cage and I laughed. My keys were right there. “Thank you Mozart. As always, you have saved me.” He gave me a loving note twitch and I walked out the door, making a mental note to give him an extra carrot when I got back.

My little red Toyota chugged a few times before she was willing to start. I turned on the heater and pulled out of the parking spot. The heat wouldn’t actually be working until I got to James’ but it’s the thought that counts. By the time I got there, I was nearly 45 minutes late.

“Lanni, so glad that you decided to grace us with your presence.”
“Sorry James, I-“

“I don’t want to hear excuses. Just have a seat so we can continue. Mark can fill you in on what you missed later.” His voice was strong and harsh, as an alpha’s should be. I let myself sink to the floor by Mark’s feet and pulled my knees to my chest to listen to what our Alpha had to say.

“There’s been a bit of trouble in the woods lately. There is something there that needs to be put under control. We aren’t sure if it’s stray werewolves or what. I want Cassady and Anthony to check that out tomorrow night and then report to me.” He gave the two of them a look as if making sure this was okay. It was just a gesture of politeness since they really had no choice. “Now, that’s really all I have to say for tonight. Lanni, stay here. Everyone else may go about their own business.”

I sighed. I knew what was coming. I would get a speech about how I needed to not take everything so lightly and I would probably also hear it about how I need to be doing something that let me live normal hours again. No one in the pack agrees with my way of life. Except Mark. He understands, but it doesn’t matter because he isn’t the Alpha.

“Lanni,” James said as he sat on the couch next to me, “Were you late because you over slept again?”

“Yeah, but that doesn’t have anything to do with…”

“Lanni, it has everything to do with it. You aren’t living healthy. You go to school from six in the morning to noon. You sleep for four or five hours. Have a few- two or three- to yourself. Then you work a bar until two am. A bar. Really Lanni. You can work somewhere better than that. Your father would want…”

“Well, you know, it doesn’t matter what my father wants or would have wanted because he’s gone. James, I’m doing what I want. I –want- to go to school and I –like- my job. But going to school is going to let me have a better job, so leave me to my life.” I knew it wasn’t a good idea to blow up on him, but I was sick of it.

“Lanni, I understand that you are young and you want to live the same life as anyone else your age, but you aren’t just like anyone else your age. You are a part of a werewolf pack and you are going to act as such.” He wasn’t yelling, but he didn’t need to. His one was more than enough to make me cringe. I hated how he did that. It was like loosing all of my free will in one command.

“Stop treating me like one of your baby wolves. I am not a baby anymore. One of these days you’ll understand that. This isn’t a life I chose. I want to have a normal life. As normal as possible taking into account what I’ve become. I’ll try to get better sleep and I’ll show up more often, but I will not quit my way of life.” I knew I was probably taking this way out of proportion, but that was how I felt. I didn’t care if it was unfair or not.

“Look Lanni, I won’t make you quit, but-“

“No,” I interrupted, “No buts. You won’t make me quit. Good. That’s all I want to hear.” Without another glance, I turned to leave. I felt the anger fuming off of James, but I didn’t care. I had gotten him to say what I wanted and I wasn’t going to stay around for him to say anything else. I walked out the door, my ratty blue jeans covered hip swishing from side to side as I moved. I may as well have been wagging my tail. As I went to open the door of my car, I was hit with what could have been a brick wall. I fell to the ground, a large clump of snow finding its way between my coat and body. I shrieked at the sudden cold and flipped myself over, pinning what had just hit me.

“Mark, I swear to God, I am going to kill you!”

“Aw, come on baby, you know swearing to him won’t do you any good. He doesn’t exist for our kind.” He always had to be so aggravating.

“He does in one form or another. Or more than one form.” I said as I pushed myself up and brushed snow off of my long raven hair. Me, the deity questioning werewolf. As I opened the driver’s side door and got in Mark followed suit in the passenger’s side. “Get out.” I growled.

“Is that a command?” He asked me with a smug look on his face. I growled again but gave up. I knew I wouldn’t win this. “Come on babe, don’t be so vicious.”

“Mark, if you don’t want me to castrate you, you’ll shut up. Remember, you’re in my car.” Before he had a chance to say anything else, I turned the radio up almost painfully loud, letting the glorious synthesized beat wash over me and calm me down. As I pulled into my parking spot, I sighed. “Are you going to go away now or are you going to follow me up the stairs to my apartment and irritate me more?”

“You really think you’re going to get rid of me that easily? Plus, you drove me here, remember? I’ve got no way home.” He smiled at me as I growled in frustration.

“You little-“but before I could finish my sentence, he had already raced up the stairs to my apartment door. I sighed and got out of the car. Sometimes, I really could kill him. Honestly, if it weren’t for the fact that he’s always on my side, I’m sure I’d have killed him already. As I reached the door, I rolled my eyes and unlocked it without acknowledging the Mark was there. As I walked in, Mark pushed past me and made himself at home on my couch as I set my stuff down on the counter and grabbed two carrots out of the fridge. As I placed them in Mozart’s cage, he hopped over to me, making me smile at his cuteness. Mark gave me a confused look. I shrugged my shoulder and spoke without looking at him. “What? He helped me find my keys so I’m giving him a treat.” Again, without looking at him, I moved to my bedroom. Before I got there, Mark was already in the doorway.

“Why do you keep that thing around? It’s food.” I glared at him. “Mozart is not food. Now out of my way.” I snarled through clenched teeth. Mark put his hands up in surrender and walked into my room. Now it was my tun to move very fast. I grabbed his wrist almost instantly and turned him back toward the door. “You will not go in my room. It’s bad enough you are in my home uninvited, but you will not enter my room, do you understand me?” The words all came out of my mouth in a sequence of angry snarls. He backed up until he was just outside of my room, a look I was unable to read on his face.

“I don’t get it. What’s happened with you? You know, this used to be my room too. Back when you were new to all of this. Back when I helped you understand what had happened to you and helped you through even though the nights were almost unbearable. You used to trust me and share everything with me. What happened to you? I’ve given you space to sort this out on your own. I’ve sat back and tried to figure out what I did wrong, but damn it Lanni, you owe me an explanation. Now!” His whole body was trembling and I felt like dowering at his feet in fear. I had never seen him this way. I knew this was my fault. That I brought it upon myself, but I couldn’t tell him. I couldn’t let him in on the secret to why I had become the way I am. I didn’t know how. Before I could come to a conclusion for his demand, I felt tears falling down my face. I fell to my knees and sobbed uncontrollably. I felt the breath catching in my chest. Mark bent down in front of me.

“Damn it Lanni.” He whispered as he pulled me into him As soon as he touched me, I flinched and pulled away, a shiver of fear running through my body. “Lanni, sweetheart, what happened to you?” The question was more to himself than me though because at that point, I was in no condition to speak. I simply sat there and cried as the sun set and the moon rose outside above us.

#11 2009-07-04 15:59:52

Zage_the_winged_werewolf
witty & controversial
Website

big_smile I like it big_smile

Whenever you see a raven or a crow, just remember, that that's me, watching you.

I have a dick, there for, I am a MALE!!!!!!!

#12 2009-07-04 21:23:33

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Thanks. ^.^ I need to write faster on it. I can write things like poems and short little blurbs really fast, but this story is taking a lot of time. But then again, I write it by hand and then edit what I write and then type it and then edit it again and so on. haha.

#13 2009-07-04 22:18:58

wolfblood17

To make things go faster with the story, wait for editing until your done with the chapter.  Don't edit every word or sentence.  It'll come really fast with a storyboard.  Your writing does have tons of meaning, especially the poems and little blurbs. 

P.S. That's why it takes me so long to write, I edit right after I write it down.  I'm quite a perfectionist when it comes to writing *shrugs*.  Also, the greatest works of literature or art take the longest to finish. wink

big_smile (with fangs!)

#14 2009-07-04 22:34:29

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Thank you!!!

And that's what I do. But I hand write it and then I type it. So I always edit it after I've finished a hand written chapter. Then I type that chapter and edit it again. And I write kinda' slow when I'm writing stories anyway. I can't do story board type things. Planning before I write never works out for me. I have to write it as it comes to me or it just sounds forced.

#15 2009-07-04 22:40:26

wolfblood17

Okey dokey.  Well great start for the story! I already love Mozart the Bunny Rabbit.  Mozart is a cute addition to your story. smile

big_smile (with fangs!)

#16 2009-07-04 23:24:12

Illeana_NightRain
Website

heehee. Yeah. That was a play off of myself because I'm slightly obsessed with bunnies.

Everything happens for a reason. That's what they say at least. But what reason could something like that happen? Something so awful, so terrible...something that caused so much pain and torment in the mind that a person feels like they are going insane. It never leaves, it never stops. No matter how hard they try to make it stop, it's always there. Forever engraved in their brains. Just when they think it's gone, something brings it back to the surface and the battle begins all over again. Battles may be won and battles may be lost, but the war...the war against it is always on and always waging, but it never ends. Tears are shed and nights become long and the best they can do is try to survive. Because in the end, that's all anyone can do. Survive.

#17 2009-07-07 05:02:15

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Just read your story excerpt.

I thought it was very impressive. The character development is heavy yet solid, flowing well with the first-person narration. The descriptions of Lanni's lifestyle and habitual actions were also vivid, helping us to envision it easier. I also appreciated the anchor of having a pet, yet it still proved ironic in the fact that a werewolf owned a rabbit as a pet. I thought that was very imaginative.

I did catch a few spelling and sentence errors, and perhaps a conflict or two in tense structure. However, the errors were few and far between.

I must admit the description near the end of how Mark had noticed Lanni's change and how she broke down in tears only piques the interest of the reader. Really, what could have happened to cause such distress and lack of conformity?

I found it a very interesting read. I hope you continue it.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#18 2009-07-08 21:33:53

Illeana_NightRain
Website

*wags tail* thank you! Yeah...tense structure has always kinda' been a hard thing for me to keep consistent. >.< I've started working on the second chapter and I'm a few written pages into it now, so I should have it up here soon (if I get a chance to write in the next few days.)

#19 2009-08-17 02:30:17

Illeana_NightRain
Website

I just realized how long it had been since I've written. Funny how I didn't realize it until I was writing. Something new.

Vacancy in Your Eyes

“Have you ever thought about what it would feel like to die?” I asked.
I didn’t expect an answer, so I answered myself.
“I have. And I’m scared of what it would feel like. But sometimes,
As I’m lying in my bed, I want to know what it would feel like.”
You didn’t say anything. You just looked up at the stars,
Vacancy in your eyes.

-

I did something bad today. I tried to know how it felt to die.
But I got scared and stopped.
You look at the marks it left on my arm and then back at the sky with
Vacancy in your eyes.

-

I should have known that it was coming. I was the one
Obsessed with how it would feel to die.
But I never knew you were doing more than wondering.
I should have known by the
Vacancy in your eyes.

-

I try to forget that look. The one I saw when I was
All in black and you were about to be in the ground.
I try to replace it with a better look. One you used to wear.
But it’s the only look I can ever remember. That
Vacancy in your eyes.

#20 2010-03-17 13:19:04

Illeana_NightRain
Website

It's been a long time since I've written anything. Well...I lied. I've actually written a TON of stuff in the last few months, but most of it is longer than what I want to share here. But I wrote something last night that I wanted to share, so here it is.

The wild runs through my veins. My heart longs to be free. To live without constraint. No bills to pay, no job to hold. To be able to travel the world and live like my ancestors. Their blood is still my blood. I long to travel with a group, my family, from place to place, trading things we have made or our labours for the things in which we need. To have late nights dancing and singing around the fire, the rich music gliding over my skin like the ocean washing over the beach.  To hear the people laughing and telling stories about what has been as the night sky above welcomes us in all her glory. The scents of elements, earth, fire, air and water mingled with the spices and smells of good food and herbs of the trade, all rising up and riding through my nose, evoking my senses, making me feel, making me long, setting my very nerves on hyper drive. I can see them in front of me, the deep colours of the materials, silks, cottons and velvets, the cold of the coins around their waists and the jewelry that adorns their bodies. I reach out to touch them, but my hand goes right through them. I open my eyes and they are gone, vanishing in the air like incense smoke, just a fleeting memory, a glimpse of what once was. I let out my breath and sigh deeply as a tear rolls down my cheek at the loss of something I never had.

#21 2010-03-17 17:41:20

ShadowWolf2010
Website

Wow.

Just...wow.

My creative writing teacher back in high school had a saying about kelp and writing....you have three kinds of writing...you have the ocean, the shark and kelp. The ocean is the skim the surface but not very deep or illuminating writing while the shark is somewhat in the middle, always moving but still it has teeth; the kelp kind of writing is the kind of writing that makes your brain suddenly stop and makes you have a WOW moment where you are just stunned into the silence by the power of the piece and imagery it provokes. Kelp, in short, is extremely well written work that is both deep and personal, yet incredibly moving and grabbing.

Your stuff is definitely kelp!

Keep it up!

--Tony
"Woof."

#22 2010-06-15 22:25:55

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Thank you very much! It makes me happy to read that. I'm sorry it took me so long to respond to you. I tend to come and go from this place.

Uhm..so here's something KINDA' different. Back in my Junior year of high school we were given two slips of paper. One had a line from a poem and the other had a topic. I was given a line from Emily Dickenson's poem "Success is Counted Sweetest" and my topic was a rally. We had to write a one page short story out of what we were given. Back then I was very into the idea of revolution and activism (I still am in all honesty, I'm just a lot more cautious about it because of some things that happened.) Well, a few days ago I went back to that piece because it had been on my mind a lot and I went through and edited it. I cleaned it up; added some things, took out others. I feel like it's finally what I wanted it to be. And I want to share it.

Often there are times when one needs to step up and say, “Hey now, this isn’t right, let’s do something about it!” With fists in the air, you march down the cold, rain filled streets, shouting your cries of revolution. You wonder what the point is of fighting a war you don’t believe in. After all, aren't there better things to be fighting for? This is why we started our meetings. It started with just a few of us, but quickly, it grew to massive proportions of people who wanted to speak out against what they thought was wrong and speak up for what they felt was right; this was their night to do it.

The clock chimed and I jumped up from my chair. I grabbed my coat and slipped into it as I headed out the door. The air around me was chilly and brisk and it counteracted the heat and passion we felt toward our cause. I pulled my jacket closer as I headed to the warehouse, blocking out the raging sounds of sirens. I was smart enough to know that if I paid too much mind to them, I would be labeled as suspicious; even more so than I already was in my torn jeans and leather coat which framed my lean figure.

As I put my hand on the cold metal door to slide it open, I stopped and took a deep breath. The loud chatter inside made me smile; I knew they were all here to help in my cause, that these were the children of the revolution and together, we would make things right. After several moment of thought, I heaved the heavy door open and all went silent. As I walked to the front, everyone parted like Moses parting the red sea, making a pathway, all eyes on me. I realized that they were all dressed similar to myself and every one of them had the same glint in their eyes; the glint of hope, of fight, of working for a cause that could no longer be ignored.

As I reached the front, I turned around and took a deep breath. “In Emily Dickinson’s poem, ‘Success is Counted Sweetest’, she says, ‘Not one of all the purple Host who took the Flag today can tell the definition so clear of Victory.’ What we are here to do today is raise our flags- our fists- into the air and achieve our victory we have set out. We will march down the streets and tell the blind man of how he was robbed right in front of him. We will work and fight to make things right; for our generation, and that of our children and our children’s children. We will not let a greedy man hold us down, making people believe that he is working for the common man when, in reality, he is working to make himself richer and others even more poor than they already are. We are going to march down these dark streets, and we will shout out our victory, for we will bring about change and we will win!”

As I looked around, every face before me was still as stone and then, as if a light had burst from inside of them, they all cheered out with their fists in the air of how right I was. As I smiled at the revolution beginning before me I knew that we would attain victory, no matter the cost.

#23 2010-06-21 22:00:15

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Unsaid

The night air is still
And I open the door.
Something isn't right.
There's something more.

Further back I walk
The first thing I see
A hand and then dead eyes
Staring up at me

First it's shock
Then it's fear
I yell and run to your side
But you no longer hear

Your eyes are cold and dead
As I pull you to my side
Blood soaks my hands
I'll forever remember the night you died

You were young
Had been so full of life
But it only took one thing to end it
One slide of a knife

Had you only known
Had I only said
Maybe you'd still be here
With me instead of dead

#24 2010-09-21 14:49:40

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Need

His body was strong against mine. Never before had I felt such a passion or need- from someone else or myself. His hands were strong, exploring me with a clear restraint that said he wanted to do so much more than he was allowing himself. His kisses were quick but deep, taking my breath away, my own body reacting in such a way as I had never had. My hands explored him in the same strong restraint and I felt a growl rising up in my throat to meet his. I could feel it pushing at my skin and I could see it pushing at his. That want...that need…that raw passion was almost more than I could take. I wanted to make him mine right then and there…and I wanted him to make me his. At the height of it all, just when it felt as if it would be too much and we would both succumb to temptation, it stopped. He reined himself in with a control that I so clearly lacked and put an end to what was happening, and as his beast receded, so did mine. Panting we pulled the remainder of ourselves under control and took a deep breath. Not yet we told ourselves. Not yet.

Passion between two new lovers.

Board footer