The Werewolf Caf The Werewolf Caf

You are not logged in.

#101 2009-06-18 02:16:07

clairsior818

Re: Werewolf in the Shadows (revised)

Hi I'm new...  I have been reading this story and i gotta say that I'm impressed.. very well done and a very believable characterization and i can tell that this will make it big!!!

"Life is weird, I am just trying to fit in." - Joshua Harper

#102 2009-06-18 15:51:43

punxnotdead

GAH! Here's more!!!

Chapter 4
    Two police officers lingered outside of his apartment door. The first, an older man, cleared his throat before speaking. “Is your name Alex Millar?” He enquired.
    Alex remained in a terrified stupor, his lungs failing to function and his mind reeling with thought. ‘Did they see me kill someone?! Are the here to arrest me?’ His heart stuttered and he knew the fear on his face was giving him away.
    The two officers had their arms cross, patiently waiting an answer.
    Alex nodded his head in silent conformation at the two stony-faced men. He could not swallow the painful lump in his throat.
    “Well,” the officer replied to Alex’s silent response, “we found your car abandoned near a crime scene. A young man was murdered yesterday night. Is there any chance your car was stolen?”
    Alex’s face flushed with colour and his eyes darted between the officer and his companion. He tried to keep the fault from his voice, but found it increasingly difficult to do so.
    “I...err...” he stammered, clutching the door with sweaty fingers.
    The officer cocked his eyebrow and his expression informed Alex of his suspicion.
    “No,” Alex finally managed, clearing his throat and continuing. “I was at the bar – drunk – and I didn’t want to drive home impaired, so I called a cab to pick me up.”
    Alex hung his head slightly, allowing fault to creep into his features, as though ashamed for abruptly abandoning his vehicle.
    The officer furrowed his brows as if unconvinced by the alibi and continued on. “Do you have anyone to support your alibi?” His eyes narrowed slightly.
    Alex froze for a brief second, and felt his tense grip splintering the door. He eased it and nodded his head. “Yes, I have a friend, Steven Everet, who was there at the bar with me.” 
    To Alex’s relief, the officer nodded. “Your car will be impounded and searched for any evidence of the crime scene. But if you have time, Mr. Millar, could you come by the station to give a statement? Any help catching the killer would be greatly appreciated.”
    “Of course,” Alex replied, feigning a smile and attempting to look inconspicuous. “Anything I can do to help.”
    “Thank you,” the officer responded sincerely and whirled around to exit through the door.
    However, itching curiosity promoted Alex to speak. “Wait.”
    The two burly officers spun around.
    “Do you have any leads as to who the killer might be?” Alex questioned, cursing himself for asking, but needing to know.
    The officer’s face was grim and he shook his head. “It looks like a wild animal or a depraved serial killer. We’re dealing with two similar cases at the station.”
    Alex furrowed his brows, uncertain as to whether he heard him right. His heart lurched in his chest.
    As the two officers revolved to leave yet again, the second, more sombre officer glanced down the hallway through to Alex’s living room. His eyebrows knitted when he spotted the broken window and Alex’s fears were confirmed.
    “What happened to your window?” He asked, pointing to the shattered remnants.
    “An over-zealous houseguest,” Alex lied and smiled falsely.
    The officer lingered, his face creased with indecision and observation as he probed the window from afar.
    Alex’s shoulders remained stiff and he could hear his heartbeat clamouring in his ears.
    To much relief, the second officer nodded before he and his partner exited.
    “Take care of yourself,” the officer bade as they disappeared.
    “You, too,” Alex replied, his voice hoarse.
    Alex kept the door open until he was certain they would not return for any further enquiries, and then closed it tightly behind him, exhaling sharply.
    “shite,” he muttered, “close call,” and rested his head against the door until he was convinced it was safe to recommence his thorough cleaning.
    He gathered his scrubbing materials and worked on the walls as his cat brushed affectionately alongside him. He stroked Ginger, relief that the animal was not horrified by his actions as a human would be. He knew he could rely on one soul keep his deepest, darkest secrets without fear of their reaction.
    Despite his lycanthropic nature, Ginger appeared unaffected by it. Other animals, he knew, feared him, sensing his other form. Some attacked. But his cat was different. For reasons unbeknownst to him, the feline accepted him, allowing him some ease at heart.
    He glanced at the clock. It read 7:00AM. He sighed, wishing he could take the workday off, but decided against it. ‘It’ll give Archer an opportunity to find an excuse to replace me with someone more ‘reliable’,’ he thought bitterly. In all the years working for Archer, never once had he taken a sick day, as he had never been sick. Even the days where he could sense the oncoming shift, he resisted and appeared at work everyday, five minutes early.
    Moments later – after he phone a taxi and finished scrubbing – he heard the taxi putter up to the sidewalk down below. This would be the only transportation to work, since his car was at the impound lot. ‘I’ll have to get it tonight,’ he noted mentally.
    As he prepared for the workday, he loped out of the door, the thought of food repulsing him. He didn’t care if he went all day without eating, so long as he didn’t have to smell it, which was impossible in a city as large as this.
    Twenty minutes later, Alex arrived at his workplace. He paid the taxi driver and exited the vehicle, beginning a short walk to the towering building.
    Even as he clung to the border of the sidewalk to avoid the bustling crowds, he felt them brush past him, some running into him without so much as a glance. He cursed internally at the milling sheepfold of impatience as he trudged his way through the sea of swimming bodies. Their perfumes were potent, stinging his nostrils, though others were unable to detect it. He despised their need for such strong aromas, but shrugged it off as he entered the post-modern building.
    It spiralled thirty storeys high and the peak was nearly invisible from his position. Steady streams of people entered and exited the building, all of which bore familiar unenthusiastic expressions on their faces.
    Alex followed the crowd of people, just as unexcitedly, his mindset elsewhere. Not only was his mind plagued with perpetual guilt, but he also strained to think about the series of attacks the officers had mentioned – the ‘wild animal’ attacks.
    He furrowed his brows in deep contemplation as he entered the elevator to the top floor. Was it possible another being like him existed? But surely not, as the Codoxin serum created him.
    ‘Did I actually kill three people last night in various different locations? That couldn’t be possible. I was in a nearly uninhabited area of town, unless I managed to make it across the city. Or maybe it was another...’
    He was ripped from his daze as the elevator chimed and the doors slithered open. A floodgate of people exited the elevator, sweeping Alex away with them like a tide.
    He strode through a large room occupied by numerous cubicles, all of which were white and bland. He shivered. People seemed to type in unison with one another, the clacking of keys pounding against his eardrums.
    Alex wove through several cubicles until he came to his at the far left of the buzzing room. He seated himself in the cushioned chair and his eyes swept over a daunting stack of paperwork. He switched on the lamp above his cubicle and his computer. As he waited, he gazed vacantly at the screen, dreading the paperwork that awaited him, but also content that it would keep his mind off of his guilt.
    “You have got to read this!” An overenthusiastic voice rang out behind Alex.
    Alex jerked, startled from his musings, yet again. He mumbled a curse and spun around to see Steven in the doorway of his cubicle.
Steven was grinning broadly, his messy black hair spiked in a cheap gel. His brown eyes glimmered with mischief, accenting the boyish features of his pale face.
    Alex hesitantly glanced around, his eyes alarmed. “What are you doing?” Alex whispered. “If Archer finds out...”
    “Cool your jets,” Steven assured with a sweep of his hand. “Work doesn’t start for,” he paused, glancing at his watch, “another three minutes. And since when did you care whether I was working or not?” His chest puffed out.
    Alex scowled. “Since Archer enforced his new policy.”
    Steven dismissed the thought with a shrug. “I didn’t come here to discuss that,” he said, lowering his voice. “I’ve got something totally...” he grimaced as he struggled to find a word to meet his criteria. “...bizarre to tell you.” His pale features were alight with exuberance.
    Alex rolled his eyes and sighed. “Don’t tell me it’s another two-dead calf story,” he grumbled.
    “Nope,” Steven said, his chest expanding with excitement. “Better – here.” He shoved a newspaper in front of Alex’s face. “It’s in here. You’ll never believe it!”
    Alex suppressed a grin as Steven never failed to entice a smile on his lips. He peered at the newspaper, baffled. “I don’t see anything besides the normal news.”
    Steven sighed with impatience. “No, no, not there. Here,” he said, grabbing the newspaper and began flipping through pages until he stopped in the middle. He slapped the paper on the desk and pointed to a small article in the corner of the page. “Right there,” he muttered, as if the location was obvious.
    “Thanks,” Alex muttered wryly and began scrolling through the article.
Unknown animal terrorizes city:
     Reports of an unidentified animal were made after the body of a twenty-year-old male was found mauled in the southeast slums of the city.
    The young man’s name has not yet been released, but the victim leaves behind a mourning family.

All the laughter dissipated from his features and he had difficulty keeping his eyes on the page. This, he knew, was the man he had killed.
    He remembered how the police told him they found his car near a crime scene, where a man was attacked by an animal. It was too coincidental for him to overlook.
    He refused to read further, not wanting to hear about the disgruntled family he destroyed or embellishments of the gruesome murder.
    However, he relented when Steven’s elbow jabbed his shoulder, urging him to continue. Alex sighed, massaging his forehead and inhaled deeply before resuming.

Official reports suggest that it was the cause of a large predatory animal. The autopsy has not yet confirmed the species of animal.
    Furthermore to this odd murder, other similar attacks have been documented over the series of months. Last week, a truck driver was delivering an unknown substance across town when he was violently ripped from his vehicle and mauled. All passengers but one was killed. The surviving victim refused comment.
    When an autopsy was performed on the three victims, examiners found unusually large teeth marks in the victims. DNA collected from the wounds suggests a new breed – or even species – of animal. Further testing must be initiated to determine this allegation.
    In addition to the growing evidence, the vehicle sustained extensive damage. Police noticed the back doors of the van were ripped from its hinges and the metal was deeply scored from an extremely sharp object.
    There has been suspicion that an escaped animal from a local zoo may be to blame. Other notions connect similar related cases in recent years. Witnesses to such attacks describe a large wolf-like animal and one woman referred to them as “beasts of darkness” or “werewolf in the shadows.” No such evidence has yet been discovered.
    Authorities advise people to take caution and walk in groups.
    “From our psychological report, the killer seems to attack at night and targets those who walk alone. It is obvious ‘he’ or ‘she’ has no preference in gender, race, or sexuality,” Shubert, Chief of police told us.
    For now, however, the killer has evaded capture.

I'm an aspiring bodybuilder! smile
"Be yourself to be free." - The Unseen
I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#103 2009-06-18 22:44:44

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Ooooo Fantastic! big_smile  I was actually expecting someone else to be at the door. You did an amazing job Punx, Keep it up. Also I really enjoy how the character is evolving, very neat.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#104 2009-06-19 03:04:15

clairsior818

Nice twist i wasn't expecting police at the door , props.

#105 2009-06-20 21:27:28

clairsior818

how long is the story altogether?

#106 2009-06-21 05:41:35

Grey_Tsume

Wow its been ages since I read this story. I still love it. The revsion is lovely!

Pain is good....it lets you know your alive.
Boredom is an ugly thing.

#107 2009-06-22 16:38:07

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Just caught up.
  The brilliance of your writing is absolutely undeniable, baiting the reader, grabbing them with full force and pulling them in even deeper. Descriptive writing at its finest, I tell you!

In comparison to previous drafts, the story flow is fantastic. The events leading from one scene to another are realistic and practical, allowing the reader to relate to the character easily as he faces thoughts and events similar to what the reader develops in their own mind. Very nicely done, Punx!

There were a few spelling anomalies - 'storeys' instead of 'stories,' a 'that' which should be a 'than,' a couple of things like that, but nowhere near enough to deter from the depth of the storytelling or the vivid descriptions. 

I know this is merely the second draft, but the development between the two is so vast and positive - it's like the difference between playing chopsticks on the piano, then coming back in a week and playing the Maple Leaf Rag. The progress you've made is nearly unbelievable, definitely undeniable, wholeheartedly agreeable, and even enviable.

You should be proud, Punx. Honestly, you really should. Superb writing.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#108 2009-06-25 20:21:03

punxnotdead

-@ Vindicator: Thanks so much smile I'm glad I kept you guessing
-@ Clair: It's about 400 pages Microsoft Word. It might be more or less considering what I might add/remove from the story.
-@GreyTsume: It's so good to see you back! *Hugs* Thanks big_smile
-@ Grayle: Where have you been?! Thanks so much for the comments and pointing out some errors. Blast those things!  I'm really glad you're finding improvements in this draft smile
Alex continued to gape at the article in a stunned stupor, ensuring his eyes were not deceiving him. ‘Are there others like me?’ His stomach roiled at the possibility. It had given him a swell of hope, as he had spent countless hours deliberating whether the existence of another werewolf was possible.
    Hours he had spent at public libraries exhaustively searching for information on lycanthropes, but only manages to scrounge up fables. After several weeks, he resigned his search, convinced that he was the only of his kind. He assumed that Codoxin had made him a monster, but now he wasn’t so sure.
    But if they, too, were killing people, were they no different than him? Or had they reason behind their objectives? He did not know.
    “What do you think?” Steven questioned, interrupting Alex in mid-thought.
    Alex’s eyes flickered onto Steven and he tried to keep the awed expression from his face. He cocked his eyebrows and shrugged casually. “Interesting story, but there’s no plausible reason to believe that werewolves exist.”
    Steven gaped at him. “C’mon,” he argued. “You can’t tell me you don’t see some truth in this?” He eyed Alex intensely.
    Alex shook his head apologetically. “It’s a little far-fetched, don’t you think?”
    Steven grumbled. “Are you blind? I’ve read eye-witness accounts like this on the internet. They all describe these attacks in the very same fashion.”
    Alex chortled in response to Steven’s absurd, but true claims. “So you came all the way here to tell me a horror story?” His lips stretched into a convincing smirk.
    Steven scowled. “Think what you will, but don’t you find it intriguing to think that there might be some hidden society of superior beings out there. Maybe together we can try to find them.” He looked hopeful.
    “Don’t hold your breath,” Alex retorted and felt Steven’s glare burning holes in the back of his head.
    Steven sighed. “Well, then, I guess you won’t want to come with me to the next possible crime scene?” He enquired in a tantalizing voice.
    “Nope,” Alex lied. The last thing he wanted was to have Steven involved in a potentially life-threatening situation, especially if these werewolves did, in fact, live up to their reputation.
    “You don’t want to come?” Steven asked, exasperated.
    Alex spun in his chair to face Steven with a bored expression. “What if it’s some rabid dog or wild animal? All your trouble would have been for nothing.”
    “What kind of dog can rip a steel door off of its hinges? And how many rabid dogs can forcefully pull a man out of a moving vehicle?” He retorted, making Alex’s excuses more difficult to come by.
    Steven continued in spite of Alex’s incredulous glance. “What if it is a werewolf? If I can get a picture of it we can make loads of money on eBay or something. We’ll be famous!”
    “No, I’m sorry...” Alex began, but Steven cut in front of him.
    “It’s supposed to be a full moon next week. Maybe we’ll get lucky.” He offered, pointing to the window across the room where the silver orb would soon appear in a week’s time. “Please,” he begged, “I promise it’ll be fun. I can bring a six-pack and if we find nothing we can leave and forget about it. I won’t bother you ever again.”
    A slight smile pulled on Alex’s lips as a cunning thought occurred to him. “If you grant me a favour, then I’ll consider it.” Alex retorted.
    Steven eyed Alex suspiciously, but gave in. “Anything.”
    “If the police question you about my whereabouts last night, tell them I was at the bar with you.” Alex demanded.
    “But, you weren’t,” Steven argued, perplexed.
    “I know,” Alex replied, a hint of irritation in his voice. “But my car was found near that,” he pointed to the article, “crime scene and they have their suspicions of me.”
    Steven appeared astonished, his face contorted in a scowl. “Really?”
    “Really,” Alex verified.
    “Done.”
    Alex sighed at Steven’s ignorance. The full moon was ineffective towards a lycanthrope. Besides being a beautiful object amongst the constellations, it was little more than ineffective towards the werewolf’s transition cycle.    
    Perplexed, Alex’s eyes flickered to an enthusiastic Steven, avoiding the current subject and beginning another. “What did you mean by the next possible crime scene?”
    Steven rocked back and forth on his heels, a smile lighting his face. “Well, I contacted a friend of mine – from the office – and I asked him to triangulate the series of murders that have been occurring. I was able to find one definitive location where those things responsible might be.”
    Alex nodded, impressed by Steven’s cleverness. “Okay, but you bring the beer.”
    Victory danced in Steven’s muddy eyes and he grinned broadly. “Thank you,” he said before heading out of Alex’s cubicle, a spring in his step.
    Alex shook his head and turned towards his computer, amazed by his own light-heartedness – especially after killing someone. Steven never failed to generate a smile for Alex, which soon faded from his lips, his happiness dissipating, flickering and dying like a smothering flame.
    Although he agreed to go with Steven, he had an ulterior motive. He wanted to see the crime scene, to know for sure whether the evidence supported his theory. He hoped the lingering scent of the beings would be copious enough for him to detect.
    But how would he know what to look for if he didn’t recognize their scent? Would he confuse it with something else? After all, he had gone eight years without detecting a trace of their existence. Perhaps he was hoping for too much.
    What if they happened to run into the creature responsible for numerous murders? Would he have to release his inner beast and potentially reveal his hidden identity to Steven? Or would he lose complete control and kill Steven?
    A shiver rippled down his spine and he tried in vain to ignore the unnerving consideration, reassuring himself he would see nothing.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#109 2009-06-25 22:33:38

wolfblood17

It's simply brilliant.  You have what I don't have too much(not yet anyway of), characterization! *shrugs*  I have a lot more characterization in my new story, Komi Compound which is coming soon! smile

big_smile (with fangs!)

#110 2009-06-25 23:32:15

clairsior818

must have more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#111 2009-06-25 23:51:18

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Lovely character development here, Punx.

Both Steven and Alex come to life in this segment, interacting with each other effortlessly. Alex's sneaky little attempt at an alibi was actually rather brilliant and resourceful, but I can also see Steven getting suspicious of his vicinity to the previous crime scene. I also appreciated Steven's logical statements about the abilities of a dog or animal in relation to the crime scene. Very nice!
  The camaraderie between the two is very enjoyable. In fact, I know of at least one reader who looks forward to it.

Technical stuff:
  The paragraph about the library research has a few conflicts in past/present tense. The period at the end of Steven's statement about a hidden society of super beings is missing the squiggle above it which would appropriately make it into a question. (Is that an obscure statement or what? Ha!) In the same sentence, you could take out the phrase 'to think that' in order to make the statement/question more succinct. I don't think I found anything else, other than phenomenal writing.

Also worthy of note are the final thoughts of Alex in this segment. His desire to investigate the possibility of other lycanthropes against the welfare of his friend and the confidentiality of his secret is a conundrum with no easy solution. It adds a bit of nobility for Alex to be so concerned for his friend's safety, but also conveys his angst over his solitude. Again, nicely done!

Ready for more when you are, Punx...

#112 2009-06-26 19:53:17

clairsior818

by the way so none are confused my title is pronounced clair-shore. its a hereditary name passed onto me by my father. we have a familial knight hood that has been passed on for 800 years. you wont be able to search it you cant find it on the internet. i already tried.

#113 2009-06-30 05:12:54

Dira
Nightwalker werewolf illustrator

punxnotdead wrote:

Hahah! Not even close to the final chapters. The storyline is just beginning. It is FARRRR from over big_smile Too bad, huh tongue

mmm... so your still writing it then...?

#114 2009-06-30 19:45:36

punxnotdead

Grayle wrote:

Lovely character development here, Punx.

Both Steven and Alex come to life in this segment, interacting with each other effortlessly. Alex's sneaky little attempt at an alibi was actually rather brilliant and resourceful, but I can also see Steven getting suspicious of his vicinity to the previous crime scene. I also appreciated Steven's logical statements about the abilities of a dog or animal in relation to the crime scene. Very nice!
  The camaraderie between the two is very enjoyable. In fact, I know of at least one reader who looks forward to it.

Technical stuff:
  The paragraph about the library research has a few conflicts in past/present tense. The period at the end of Steven's statement about a hidden society of super beings is missing the squiggle above it which would appropriately make it into a question. (Is that an obscure statement or what? Ha!) In the same sentence, you could take out the phrase 'to think that' in order to make the statement/question more succinct. I don't think I found anything else, other than phenomenal writing.

Also worthy of note are the final thoughts of Alex in this segment. His desire to investigate the possibility of other lycanthropes against the welfare of his friend and the confidentiality of his secret is a conundrum with no easy solution. It adds a bit of nobility for Alex to be so concerned for his friend's safety, but also conveys his angst over his solitude. Again, nicely done!

Ready for more when you are, Punx...

My gosh, you've gotta apply to be an editor or something. You'd make some mad business off of it. You're such a spectacular spotter and I'd be a much worse writer if it wasn't for you.

And to all of you, thanks so much for the support smile It means a lot to me, really!! More coming up soon!

And Dira, yes. I still am at the halfway point for editing, not quite for posting yet. I just need a good kick in the butt to start writing again. It's been a few weeks.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

#115 2009-06-30 19:58:21

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

I love the plot building up to another moment of action. I love your ability to add character depth by a simple conversation, brilliant. Some individuals have said I need to publish, but your work is much, much better and should be published, it is such phenomenal writing, event his simple scene is riveting.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#116 2009-07-01 03:22:25

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

punxnotdead wrote:

I just need a good kick in the butt to start writing again. It's been a few weeks.

Given your recent physical setbacks I hesitate to believe a kick in the butt would produce the desired effect. However, perhaps some mild encouragement would help...

Stop playing on Facebook!  Open your word processor and start typing!!  Submit to the demands of your Fanbase!!!

...when you feel up to it, of course... wink

#117 2009-07-01 04:23:26

clairsior818

Grayle wrote:

punxnotdead wrote:

I just need a good kick in the butt to start writing again. It's been a few weeks.

Given your recent physical setbacks I hesitate to believe a kick in the butt would produce the desired effect. However, perhaps some mild encouragement would help...

Stop playing on Facebook!  Open your word processor and start typing!!  Submit to the demands of your Fanbase!!!

...when you feel up to it, of course... wink

i agree with grayle here of course... and just because i feel like it

do any of you believe In Real Life werewolves?

#118 2009-07-01 04:25:44

clairsior818

hey wait a minute i play on facebook too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

man that was a low blow:(

jk jk;)

#119 2009-07-10 19:48:21

clairsior818

dude what happened to everybody?

#120 2009-07-11 17:31:47

Edo

Hey punx,
even though I don't comment often, I am part of the fanbase Grayle mentioned wink and I enjoy reading your story more than (almost) anything! I'm sure you have your reasons, but your writing talent doesn't deserve not to be used, and I hope you feel like writing again soon (if you haven't since your last post...). I'll just keep on waiting for you to post the next section smile

Last edited by Edo (2009-07-11 17:45:47)

#121 2009-07-14 07:42:24

Biowolf

Hi, I would like to ask for some tips with regards to my writing. My writing skills has always been bad and my vocab + descriptive words bank ain't good. Any good suggestions on how I should go about improving and expanding them?

#122 2009-07-14 17:20:29

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Let's keep in mind, everyone, that this topic is for Punx's story, and our main purpose for posting here is to give her replies on her phenomenal work.

Biowolf, you may want to check out the two stickys here in the stories area for tips and pointers on vocabulary, and if you wish pointers from Punx exclusively, you may want to try asking her on her personal forum. You can also post a hew topic about expanding vocabulary - I think that might get a much more diverse response for you.

Punx, we're ready for the next installment whenever you are.

#123 2009-07-17 03:50:45

clairsior818

here, here!!

#124 2009-09-08 01:31:42

clairsior818

dude, im realy wanting to know what happens next in the story....

please post more story
i cant bear it!
the suspense is unimaginable...
when will you concede to the demands of your fanbase?!
oh, the agony....
(weeping silently)

#125 2009-09-08 19:56:17

punxnotdead

GAH!!!!!!!!!!!!! So late! So sorry!

Thanks so much, guys!!!!!!!

Chapter 5
    Alex clicked off his office lamp, hearing the filament hiss before it was extinguished. He powered down his computer and rearranged the organized chaos of strewn papers on his desk into massive mounds beside his computer.
    He sighed, rubbing his temples as he squeezed his eyes shut tightly. Sleep nagged at his mind, though he refused to yield to the urge. He refused to witness the inevitable horrific nightmare he knew awaited him once he closed his eyes.
    And though he knew at some point he’d have to succumb to his fatigue, he’d fight it as long as necessary.
     He had spent the entire day scouring through business papers, addressing them, and placing them in their designated piles, with little time for research on the werewolves that plagued his thoughts.
    Only when he flicked off his lamplight did he realized the rest of the office was plunged into darkness. Everyone had gone home for the evening, some still milling about, the majority spending their time with their families.
    He knew he had nothing to go back home to, besides his unnaturally loving cat and his materialistic goods. But he had nothing more to show for his accomplishments or hard work. He had attempted to allow someone into his world – the only woman he had ever loved – and she cast him away.
    The consideration made his heart twist with angst and he clenched his teeth and balled his fists. He remembered that day with great lucidity, as though his mind kept a painful itinerary of the worst day of his life. Even now it felt as though she had taken a piece of his heart with him – or rather, clawed it out – but also left a piece of her own behind.
    Even as she told him that she no longer loved him, he could see the lie in her eyes. She was still very much in love with him, but she feared him, and her instinctual fear overpowered it.
    He knew this, and yet he was unable to do anything but let her go. Once a fear was instilled, it took more than love to unfasten it. But, the angst still tore at him. He was going to marry her...
    He heard Steven’s silent approach before he reached his cubicle and was fortunately torn from his miseries.
    “Late night,” Steven murmured as he approached from the darkness in a cloak and dagger fashion.
    Alex revolved in his chair to face Steven, feigning a weak smile. “Yeah, I had a lot to catch up on.”
    Steven chortled. “Don’t you always?”
    Alex furrowed his brows with perplexity. “What’s that suppose to mean?”
    Steven shrugged; appearing uncomfortable at the direction the conversation was headed. His brown eyes were uncertain, even in the darkness. “Well, I mean,” he stammered. “I always see you hunkered over your desk working.”
    Alex laughed aloud, amused. “That’s what I’m here to do – work, unlike some of us...”
    Steven scowled and for a fraction of a second, his face was sombre. “That’s not what I mean. Even at home you’re always so involved in your work it’s like you’re trying to forget something – something that bothers you.”
    Alex felt his heart lurch in his chest. But it was not because he feared Steven’s observations, but because he knew he was right. He worked as vigorously as he could to forget the monster he had become and refused for it to consume him. Being consumed by his work was his best hope.
    Silence pursued as neither talked. Alex could hear the skipping of Steven’s heart, knowing that Steven was mentally kicking himself for saying what he did.
    Alex got to his feet, reluctant to speak as exhaustion was taking its toll, both physically and mentally. “Look,” Alex sighed, gathering his jacket, “I have to get home. It’s already late as it is and there’s still some paperwork that needs to be done.”
    Steven’s mischievous demeanour crept back into his enthusiastic eyes. “Not so fast. I’m not letting you get off that easy.” He bounced lightly on the balls of his feet. “You’re coming to the bar with me. You and I, we’re going to get hammered. Paperwork can wait.”
    Alex shook his head to refuse the idea, but Steven grasped Alex forearm and towed him along. “I’m not taking no for an answer just so you can bury yourself back into your work. If you ask me, you’re digging yourself a grave.”
    Alex sighed, though slightly irritated, he accepted. “Fine. You’re buying.” A smile threatened to creep along his face.
    “I’m buying,” Steven verified and his face folded into a wide grin. “C’mon.”
---
    Shortly after their brief conversation, Alex’s car rolled smoothly into a heavily occupied parking lot in front of a popular bar. His shoulders immediately tensed and he gripped his steering wheel tightly in his hands. He hated large congregations of people, especially those likely to be spoiling for a fight. And now that the beast was closer than ever to consuming him, it was imperative that he avoid such situations at all costs.
    He exited his car and sighed, plumes of fog issuing from his lips. He revolved to face Steven with a reluctant gaze.
    Steven approached him in the darkness, his brows furrowed. “Are you alright?”
    Alex realized that his hands were clenched in tight balls and he immediately eased, nodding his head in conformation. “It looks like a busy night tonight,” he noted as casually as he could, but his worry ebbed through.
    Steven laughed at the sudden realization for Alex’s unease. “All the better to score some ladies,” he teased at Alex’s suddenly disgusted glare. “Come on,” he urged, folding his arms over his chest. “I’m getting cold out here.”
    Alex’s conflicted eyes flickered from Steven to the tavern. He finally slumped his shoulders in defeat.
    Steven beamed in satisfaction as he led the way, weaving through cars to the entrance.
    When the doors to the bar opened, Alex reflexively recoiled, a barrage of repulsive odours assaulting his senses. His nose curled as the scent of stagnant alcohol and body odours escaped the confines of the building. And though the interior was sleek, the horrid aromas masked any fascination he might have had prior to opening the door.
    Steven; however, continued onward, seemingly unperturbed by the putrid torrent. He strode into the bar, shrugging off his work jacket and taking a seat near the hub of the room.
    Alex reluctantly entered, his eyes darting around the room. The cacophonous sounds of murmuring people muffled the background music, which, if he listened intently, he could distinguish.
    The room was dully illuminated by elegant swaying lamps and a massive flat screen television above the bar, which portrayed the latest football game. His team was behind by one touch down, he noted lightly.
    He trudged through the masses of dancing bodies, feeling them brush against his own. As his eyes flickered over the masses of people, he failed to find one that seized his attention. Sure, there were beautiful women, but for reasons unknown to him, he found little to be attracted to.
    When he reached the small table, Steven was ordering a beer for both him and Alex.
As soon as the waitress disappeared, Alex slouched into a chair opposite of Steven, his eyes flickering occasionally to the television.
    “Damn,” Steven muttered, breathless, “that one was a real looker.”
    Alex snorted and averted his eyes back to Steven. “Why am I not surprised?” He retorted.
    “What?” Steven enquired with an innocent expression.
    “You take me to the busiest bar you can so you can pick up women. How is that working out for you, by the way?” Alex scoffed.
    Steven rolled his eyes. “I’m not looking just for me. I’m trying to find someone for you, too. See, I’m not all that selfish.” He smiled and whispered. “You can thank me later.”
    Alex sighed, combing his fingers through his hair, agitation increasing. “You know I’m not ready for a relationship.”
    “Why not?” Steven snapped. “It’s been almost two years. It’s time to get over it.” At that moment, he realized the error of what he had said and his mouth slammed shut.
    Alex glowered, feeling a tickle of anger but also angst. “It’s not something I can just ‘get over’. I was going to marry her.” He growled. He realized his hands were wrapped tightly around the arm of the chair, warping the metal. He quickly relinquished his grip and continued. “I have never felt that way about a woman before and I doubt if I ever will.”
    Steven glanced down apologetically. “Well,” he said, picking at his fingers, “why don’t you try to make amends with her?”
    Alex’s jaw muscle leapt at the sudden turn of the conversation. “It’s not that simple.”
    “Why not?” Seven asked. “As far as I know, she loved you, too. Why would she just leave you so abruptly?”
    Though Alex knew the reason, he refused to share any information. “I told you, it’s personal.” He felt the heat rise in his face and his voice growing firmer.
    Steven understood the tone and nodded silently, muttering an apology.
    Though dissonant sounds continued to ring throughout the room, Alex was elsewhere, contemplating. He knew the pain of the break up was still apparent on his face, which kept Steven’s snide remarks at bay.
    Alex wanted a relationship – someone who he could share his secret with besides his animals. He wanted a meaningful relationship where he had nothing to hide, but he knew it was asking for too much. Monsters such as him had no place in a human’s life. Even Steven was a risk to his secret, though he seemed obliviously unaware of his dual form, which Alex wanted to maintain.
    If Steven ever discovered the truth and left him, Alex would have nothing left to live for. His life would be meaningless without Steven, his only friend. Sure, he had other acquaintances, but none like Steven. They had been great friends for years. Steven had aided him during his most despairing moments. If it hadn’t been for him, Alex knew he surely would have died from the misery – likely by his own hand.
    Alex was gratefully torn from his musings as the waitress handed him a large mug brimming with frothing beer.
    Steven glanced lustfully at his own glass and began drinking.
    The silent barrier between the two shattered as Steven recommenced the conversation. Throughout the night, they discussed the plans they had for next week.
    Steven was elated by the consideration of proving the existence of werewolves. He began to sway and slur after his third mug of beer, his normally zealous attitude amplified.
    Alex had worked through his second beer, sipping on it occasionally, but repulsed by the overwhelming price of it. He felt no effects from the alcohol in his system, as he knew his metabolism had already burned through it.
     The current conversation allowed him to keep his mind off of his nagging fatigue and the persistent twinge of guilt.
     He smiled and laughed occasionally, watching as Steven approached a table of woman and boldly asked one out. Despite his confidence, he was refused.
    Steven sauntered back to the table with an undeterred expression. “They don’t know what they’re missing out on,” he muttered as he took another mouthful of his beer, straightening his shirt.
    Alex chortled and glanced at the clock. “C’mon, it’s nearly three a.m. I have to wake up for work.”
    Steven knitted his brows and glanced over his shoulder at the chiming clock. “Well I’ll be damned,” he murmured. “I’ll get the check.” He staggered out of his seat and shuffled toward the bar, paying his fees as he gathered his jacket.
    Alex also got to his feet, pleased that he decided to come. Steven always had an uplifting presence about him, despite the fact that he was drunk.
    Alex phoned a cab for Steven, refusing him his keys and access to his car. Steven finally relented with a garbled curse.
    The night was black and the surrounding buildings were plunged into darkness, only the weak light of the streetlamps to illuminate the shadows in their flimsy glow.
    Steven shivered slightly as they ambled idly down the sidewalk to the cab waiting ahead. Alex had a hold of Steven’s forearm, ensuring he wouldn’t stagger into the street of passing cars. The scent of alcohol was heavy on his breath and his feet shuffled with drunkenness.
    Nonetheless, as Steven rambled on, he maintained his boisterous demeanour, enthusiastically greeting those who passed. He glanced up at Alex, only inches shorter than him, and grinned. Alex detected a mischievous glimmer in his hazel eyes as the two sauntered down the street.
    He prepared himself as Steven reacted with a hefty shove.
    Alex staggered slightly, and refrained from striking a metal car meter. Alex chortled, a wave of mischief creeping into his features. He smiled impishly as Steven appeared disheartened by his own lack of strength.
    With a sudden thrust of his arm, Alex returned the shove. Steven’s drunken body staggered, unable to recompose itself from the sudden bout of strength. He cursed as is foot caught a crevice in the cement and he smashed into a stationary garbage can.
    Alex heard the cacophonous roar as Steven tumbled into the garbage can, spewing its rotted contents onto the street.
    Steven grunted and cursed as he removed his hand from a heap of garbage. “Ugh,” he growled as he staggered away from the rotted remains, wiping his soiled hands on his pants. He scowled at Alex, trying to regain his damaged pride as he joined Alex. “That wasn’t funny,” he muttered as he gazed at his stained shirt.
    Alex roared with laughter, and draped a hand over Steven’s shoulder. “You know you had it coming,” he retorted.
    The corner of Steven’s mouth twitched into a smile and he chuckled. “Yeah, whatever. I have to catch my cab. We should do this again some time,” he noted as he departed from Alex to the impatient taxi driver. “In the meantime,” he called and winked, “watch your back.”
    Alex chortled. “Yeah, yeah.” He was still grinning as he revolved to face his own car. He didn’t remember the last time he had ever had such fun, and he vowed to enjoy the simplicities of life more often.
    He sighed wearily as his car rolled homeward bound in anticipation for the nightmare that was to come.

I <3 SMALLVILLE!!!

Board footer