The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-08-07 19:54:47

Black Shuck
Website

Re: "New Moon" movie

Kat Garoux wrote:

Michael Sheen is Aro

omg Michale sheen as switched sides! werewolf leader to vampire royalty!

I've never read the books or saw the movie (not really planning on seeing this one either) but if he's gonna be a vampire then I know that I preferred him as Lucian in "Underworld".  Not that I'm, y'know, biased... anything <_< wink

"Would you love a monsterman?
Could you understand beauty of the beast?
I would do it all for you, would you do it all,
Do it all for me?" -Lordi

#27 2009-08-08 01:15:59

Delta Wolfman

Mymloch wrote:

While up until a few weeks ago I would agree with you, it's really just a matter of taste.

The definition of a werewolf, either by Dictionary http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/werewolf
or by Encyclopedia http://www.britannica.com/EBchecked/top … 5/werewolf, is vague at best, and is, unfortunately, all-encompassing.

Thus, the definition of "werewolf" is a human that changes into a wolf, or wolf-like creature. 

I am sorry to admit this, as personally, I look at shapeshifters and were-beasts as two different critters.  I like my werewolves to be anthropomorphic (half-wolf, half-man).  However, one cannot fight the fact that the shapeshifters in Twilight are, in fact, werewolves by definition.  I wish Meyer had not included them in her romance novel, but nonetheless, they are there.

"“Though the creatures think of themselves as werewolves, they are not. The more accurate name for them would be shape- shifters. The choice of a wolf form was purely chance. It could have been a bear or a hawk or a panther when the first change was made. These creatures truly have nothing to do with the Children of the Moon. They have merely inherited this skill from their fathers. It’s genetic—they do not continue their species by infecting others the way true werewolves do.â€

-Caius, Breaking Dawn, Chapter 37"

That's what I have to say to that.

#28 2009-08-08 08:02:53

Daninsky
Website

Mythologically a werewolf is a human that can turn or was turned into a wolf, all else is splitting hairs.
If they are 'real' werewolves or not, who cares?

And I find this whole OMG she totally screws with Indian folklore that's going on to be a tad absurd.

Last edited by Daninsky (2009-08-08 08:04:40)

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#29 2009-08-08 09:30:13

Viergacht

Fair enough, her sparkly fangless vampires aren't really vampires, and her books aren't really entertainment.

#30 2009-08-08 10:52:38

Mymloch

Point taken, Delta.  Nonetheless, using Meyer's own words is a moot point.  She could call them carebears if she wanted, they'd still be werewolves.  To me, that passage just demonstrates Meyer's unfamiliarity with werewolf lore.  She's certainly entitled to poetic license, but I also find it distasteful when a Mormon lady from the Southwest presumes to write about a Native American tribe in the Northwest.

As I said, however, I think our sentiment on all this Twilight business is mutual.  I went to the bookstore yesterday to look around and was taken aback by the amount of knock-offs arising. 

I take it as a queue to werewolf novelists to get to work defending our beloved creatures.  The vampire novelists failed (for the most part), and we cannot abandon the werewolves to the same fate.

#31 2009-08-08 11:32:44

Delta Wolfman

Mymloch wrote:

Point taken, Delta.  Nonetheless, using Meyer's own words is a moot point.  She could call them carebears if she wanted, they'd still be werewolves.  To me, that passage just demonstrates Meyer's unfamiliarity with werewolf lore.  She's certainly entitled to poetic license, but I also find it distasteful when a Mormon lady from the Southwest presumes to write about a Native American tribe in the Northwest.

As I said, however, I think our sentiment on all this Twilight business is mutual.  I went to the bookstore yesterday to look around and was taken aback by the amount of knock-offs arising. 

I take it as a queue to werewolf novelists to get to work defending our beloved creatures.  The vampire novelists failed (for the most part), and we cannot abandon the werewolves to the same fate.

We defend werewolves against this kind of blatant misrepresentation.

All I see is "I love vampires" or "Team Werewolf" when it comes to this. They are NOT werewolves. They are shapeshifters. Two completely different things. It's not "splitting hairs" which is incredibly stupid to say.

They're not the same thing, and Meyers herself admits that in her own book.

You want a bit more respect for werewolves? Start demanding it and stop allowing ignorance.

Last edited by Delta Wolfman (2009-08-08 11:33:06)

#32 2009-08-08 12:29:27

Mymloch

Sorry, like it or not, they're werewolves.  If I make a creature that is shaped like a horse and has a horn on its head that prances around rainbows, but I call it a herjaflutzit, it's still a unicorn.  And Meyer has already demonstrated her lack of folklore, so anything she says is kind of questionable.  She's hardly a cryptozoologist.

Last edited by Mymloch (2009-08-08 12:30:28)

#33 2009-08-08 13:04:36

WolfMontana

Delta Wolfman wrote:

All I see is "I love vampires" or "Team Werewolf" when it comes to this. They are NOT werewolves. They are shapeshifters. Two completely different things. It's not "splitting hairs" which is incredibly stupid to say.

The definition of 'werewolf' is man-wolf, ie, a dude who turns into a wolf. In the trailer you clearly see Mr. Buff Jacob turn into a wolf. That's a werewolf. I assume the dudes in the books do the same thing, ie, turn into wolves. It doesn't matter HOW they do it, doesn't matter if the moon has anything to do with it, if it's magic, if it's spiritual, if it's shenanigans from some alien. They are men who turn into wolves. Were-wolves.

Shapeshifters are dudes who shift their shape. Therefore, all werewolves are shapeshifters.

Not all shapeshifters are werewolves, obviously. A guy who turns into a chicken is a werechicken.

Now if they could change into any shape at any time, and weren't just restricted to wolves, THEN 'Shapeshifter' would be the only name you could give them. But they don't. They only turn into wolves.

'Splitting hairs' is quite appropriate I think.

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

#34 2009-08-08 13:13:57

ArcLight
Website

Mymloch wrote:

Point taken, Delta.  Nonetheless, using Meyer's own words is a moot point.  She could call them carebears if she wanted, they'd still be werewolves.  To me, that passage just demonstrates Meyer's unfamiliarity with werewolf lore.

From everything I've read, she's also admitted to never actually reading up on vampires so there's no reason to think she'd put much thought into her werewolves (or whatever).

Part of me is all for anything that gets people out there actually reading books but I wonder  if any of the tweeny-boppers out there getting hooked on these glampires will ever graduate to anything better or if they'll just go back to MySpace and Twitter. Or worse yet, grow up to write (and publish) more of the same tripe.

"How lonely is the night without the howl of a wolf."
"Werewolves are BAD ASS." - Dean Winchester
Buckaroo Banzai - Highlander - Kolchak - Buffy - Doc Savage
http://members.fortunecity.com/lost_giant

#35 2009-08-08 15:09:09

Mymloch

I appreciate the fact that movies with high budgets are focusing on them at all, so I will most likely watch the movie.  But I will always appreciate Underworld, for example, a lot more, as it portrays a werewolf love story that I actually think is worth telling.

#36 2009-08-08 17:15:27

zockereinstein

For me, a werewolf could be anything that the director/writer/artist could imagine about it... tecnically speaking. It is also true that we all have some "common" ideas about them, and they could be considered "the truth" about werewolves. But going back to this movie (and some others) a "poof" transformation is an insult to our intelligence. It is hard enough to create a "believable" monster, and they insist on turning into a wolf with an abracadabra.
But as I said in a post before, the target of this film are teenagers and vampire lovers.

#37 2009-08-08 17:27:01

SouthPaw

Yeah, the transformation fx leave a lot to be desired.  Blood and Chocolate made that kind of effect very classy looking, but the one in the New Moon trailer feels sloppy.  Hopefully that was just an unfinished placeholder.

#38 2009-08-08 17:41:02

Daninsky
Website

Mymloch wrote:

but I also find it distasteful when a Mormon lady from the Southwest presumes to write about a Native American tribe in the Northwest..

Sorry but that's saying that Indians should only write about Indian tribes and Jews only about Jews and so on...
that just doesn't sound right for me and would leave nobody left to write about Aliens. wink

#39 2009-08-08 20:12:55

WolfMontana

Hee hee... glampires... big_smile

#40 2009-08-08 20:53:21

Viergacht

ArcLight wrote:

Part of me is all for anything that gets people out there actually reading books but I wonder  if any of the tweeny-boppers out there getting hooked on these glampires will ever graduate to anything better or if they'll just go back to MySpace and Twitter. Or worse yet, grow up to write (and publish) more of the same tripe.

I think there's hope, lord knows I used to read horrible, horrible tripe when I was a young teenager. Completely embarassing stuff, now that I look back on it. I like to think I've got much better taste now, although I have gotten so picky it's hard to find anything to enjoy.

Last edited by Viergacht (2009-08-08 20:53:40)

#41 2009-08-09 00:17:14

Mymloch

Daninsky wrote:

Mymloch wrote:

but I also find it distasteful when a Mormon lady from the Southwest presumes to write about a Native American tribe in the Northwest..

Sorry but that's saying that Indians should only write about Indian tribes and Jews only about Jews and so on...
that just doesn't sound right for me and would leave nobody left to write about Aliens. wink

Granted, but one should know a good deal about a people if one intends to write about said people in such detail.

#42 2009-08-09 06:50:46

Daninsky
Website

Agreed, I guess respect demands that you give it at least a bit of research, but long as nobody gets actively slandered in her writing (apart from Vampires maybe *te-hee*) I don't care that much.
I freely admit I didn't even now that that was a real tribe she was writing about.
It is only fiction at the end of the day. *shrugs*

#43 2009-08-21 08:39:06

Re_Re4eva21

new moon looking awesome cannot wait for it to be released!

#44 2009-09-01 15:40:10

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#45 2009-09-02 16:12:26

WolfMontana

lol Oh dear... big_smile

"I can see Russia from here!"

#46 2009-09-16 14:02:19

LadyAnubis

#47 2009-09-16 21:40:02

WolfMontana

oh please.

#48 2009-09-17 12:11:31

The Busboy
Administrator

There is a book titled "New Moon: The Official Illustrated Movie Companion" coming out on October 6th, 2009. Here's the link to it at amazon.com:
http://www.amazon.com/New-Moon-Official … amp;sr=1-3

#49 2009-09-17 17:06:40

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Watched the trailer, had the following problems:
-Crappy acting.
-Crappy dialogue.
-Some obvious CGI.
-Stupid-sounding story.
Ugh.

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#50 2009-09-18 01:08:45

WolfMontana

Wasn't stressed about the acting, thought it was fine. The CGI of the wolves looked not as good as the first clip, but that's cool.

The whole fact that one lady's childhood fantasy about a highly unrealistic ever-doting powerful dangerous boyfriend is getting this much attention, and that yes, it really is that shallow, just astounds me.

Seriously, don't these folks have anything better to do? This lass apparently has no life without him, but I'm not sure why, except for the fact that he's 'dangerous' and 'exotic' and 'sparkly'. He does nothing at school but glower and get highly offended by the way people smell.

He on the other hand, has lived for over a hundred years, and for some reason, this 'poor ol' me' chick in this class of this high school is the ONLY lass he's ever loved. W.T.F..
His only dangerous trait is his absolute lack of a personality.

</rant>

Board footer