The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

• Index
  •  » Therianthropy
  •  » I call YOU out (to all those who wish to help clear things up)

#1 2009-02-23 06:10:24

chaotic wolf
Website

I call YOU out (to all those who wish to help clear things up)

Hey, I am new here. I wanted to hear your thoughts on psychic were's and non-christian were's.

I know, I might be a little blunt in my approach but I am a were with some psychic tendencies and I was wondering if I could get some help tackling this part of me. Also, does this thing automatically come with being a were or is it another one of those birth things?

God, I didn't know I would have so many questions... Celebratory of my THIRD post. wink

Anyways, I have done a bit of research but many sources appear faulty... I have checked up on WolfVanZandt's site to give me some views but not much deals with non-christian weres. Specifically, I wanted to know if you knew anything about Muslim weres.... my culture doesnt provide that much history regarding the topic. At least none that I can readily find. Thanks for reading my questions though!

big_smile

Last edited by chaotic wolf (2009-02-23 06:12:09)

Chaos is but a state of mind.... Entropy is what rules us all.

#2 2009-02-23 16:39:41

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Re: I call YOU out (to all those who wish to help clear things up)

Erm... I'm a non-Christian 'were' (though I prefer the term 'therian'). What exactly did you want to know? And why does it make a difference? Surely it transcends religious boundaries and the symptoms of therianthropy between the two are unlikely to be worlds apart?

My thoughts on non-Christian weres = exactly as bloody equal as Christian, Muslim, Native American etc weres.

Is answer questions?

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#3 2009-02-23 16:48:11

Tebers

and as for psychic tendencies, those apply to everyone regardless of eh, differences. I duno if I'm psychic but I have had numerous dreams that turned out real and I'm good at guesing what people what are thinking, but then again I know my friends well. Maybe I am and maybe I'm not, but I believe in psychics

Wondering stray extraordinaire!!

#4 2009-02-23 18:29:12

chaotic wolf
Website

The reason why I was asking about different religions regarding weres is because I come from a half muslim/arab background and I wanted to see the expansive influences therians had on my culture. ShadyHowl, I would hold the same beliefs regarding weres in all religions. But simply, I am trying to find some cross links and similarities between the two subjects, Arab/Muslim world and therians.

Oh, sorry for the confusion Tebers, I was trying to ask if psychic abilities were possibly tied into being a were, not religious differences... roll

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I know religion is a touchy subject, especially for many people now, but I want to further understand the viewpoint of my father, who I would have mucho issues with if he ever knew of me and my... condition? All I really want to do is understand my were history and tie it in with the rest of the world. My mom's completely Boston American and my dads Moroccan Arab, related to the prophet Muhommed. Sounds loaded but really isn't. It just makes my personal quest so much easier because I have a well-known line to track.

Again, sorry for the confusion!

sad

#5 2009-02-24 08:48:48

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Erm, fair enough. Well my personal view, if this is any help whatsoever, is that wereism in its form transcends culture, race, religion, etc although it may differ in its expression. I think wereism is nothing more than an increased activation of the more primal animalistic parts of the brain, which we then, using our personalities and experiences as a kind of filter, attribute to a specific animal (known as the theriotype). I couldn't say for you exactly what influences therians have had on your culture I'm afraid, but if my own personal theory is correct then I would expect your were history to be the same as any other, but interpreted differently in light of your differing cultural background. Sorry I can't be of more help.

#6 2009-02-24 10:05:39

Daninsky
Website

If only half of your family past relates to, the Middle East that is?, you might be looking in the wrong direction if you have trouble finding answers.
Just because your father happens to be tied to a muslim background doesn't necessitate that you are, quite frankly I would asssume that you have more influences from American culture and would be probably better off to try and come to an understanding in that light.

Naturally there's a lack of 'non-Christian' were-mythology, but that's just because the Christians were a predominant force in the regions most of that mythology stems from.
Now wolves ain't native to Arabia and the region sourounding it if I'm not mistaken, so there's been little reason for that kind of mytholgy to develop there, but  if you look at the older Gods and Goddesses you'll find lot's of therianthropic characters.
Btw. you'll find non either in the Bible (how surprising given that we talk the same regions), so werewolves ain't exactly a Christian thing.

Call no man happy 'til he dies

#7 2009-02-24 12:44:04

chaotic wolf
Website

oh, thanks shadyhowl, that gives me another view... a more general view that I can apply to a multitude of things. what you say does indeed makes logical sense. Very interesting! And no, you were much help! You provided me the backbone of my search. big_smile Thankyou!

And danisky, you gave me a lot of specifics that I was really wondering about. BUT, you gave me hint that now I have to go look into my mom's side of the family... tongue Thats a load more of work, them being the squanderers of early america as well as additional immigrants randomly mixing in with the lines. And then the illegitiment births hmm I've either entered a dead end or an open field of an end. ok, enough self-pity *slaps self in face*

Also, the way I saw it, I never really heard of many "were-thology" involving the arab world, which is why I asked and might have hoped other people has heard of any... That area will be a little harder to scrounge something up, I guess. Ah well, thanks for the info.

big_smile

Last edited by chaotic wolf (2009-02-24 12:44:39)

#8 2009-02-25 00:52:43

WolfVanZandt
Website

Actually, I would like to see analyses similar to mine dealing with other religions and ideologies. The reason I focused on Christianity and Weres is that there was a controversy about whether Weres could reasonably ever be Christians - whether there was contradictions between Christianity and Therianism. What I did was show that none of the common reasons to think that there was a conflict between Therianism and Christianity makes sense.

As for Islam, I've never heard of any idea of Weres in the Islamic world.

#9 2009-02-25 19:54:44

chaotic wolf
Website

WolfVanZandt wrote:

As for Islam, I've never heard of any idea of Weres in the Islamic world.

AH HA! I thought the same thing myself... but I will keep googling. big_smile

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Actually, I would like to see analyses similar to mine dealing with other religions and ideologies. The reason I focused on Christianity and Weres is that there was a controversy about whether Weres could reasonably ever be Christians - whether there was contradictions between Christianity and Therianism. What I did was show that none of the common reasons to think that there was a conflict between Therianism and Christianity makes sense.

I was sorta on that track but more focused on the whole timeline thing that you have going on at your site. Truly, mine is basically a mental mapping of different cultures ideaologies, theologies, and mythologies that may contribute  to the better understanding of how therianism coould have spread and how far it has spread, as well as possible originates. Don't get me wrong, I am not considering were-ism as a disease but I find that treating it like one can better develope a sense of where it has "traveled" and such. I am trying to find relatively stable proof of their existance, as well as search about my own originates.

#10 2009-02-26 17:09:04

lupen the wolf

This is a VERY interesting topic. I do enjoy a good discussion about the 'were' mythos.
My personal belief is that it is a genetic trait that seems to be very well spread over the centuries of human existence. I think it stems from a specific tribe of ancient man that was a little more in tune with their animal side than most. I'm not sure of the exact nature of the gene or that it even exists, though it seems like a plausible theory to me.

PS: I'm not done with my research yet, but feel free to poke holes in it as that may help me focus my search.

ego sum quis ego sum....

#11 2009-02-26 19:37:42

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

I have a simple question, do all therians shift? Is there such thing as a possible nonshifting therian?

<3

#12 2009-02-26 22:21:33

WolfVanZandt
Website

No, all Therians do not shift. We even have a name for it. Nonshifting Therians are called "contherians".

Lupen, I'm not going to poke any holes in it because it's almost exactly my belief.

#13 2009-02-26 22:57:56

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

So what is the typical length of a shift? Average, at least.

<3

#14 2009-02-27 07:56:10

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

I don't think there is one. Sometimes mine are 20-30 minutes long, sometimes just 5-10, sometimes I just have days where it lurks beneath the surface constantly. It all depends.

#15 2009-02-27 11:39:43

chaotic wolf
Website

i agree with shadyhowl... it depends on how much an individual person wishes to remain in their shift, since its merely an extension of their existance. Mine are usually a couple of hours, then it submerges, or whenever I feel especially frustrated with society, it can last way longer.

• Index
  •  » Therianthropy
  •  » I call YOU out (to all those who wish to help clear things up)

Board footer