The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-03-06 10:41:33

Ferafin
Website

We Rule These Streets.

This is one I wrote about 2 months ago as an opening to a narrative I call " We Rule These Streets"

I want a few opinions on it.
I am kind of partial to it.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We rule these streets.
    There are pitiful gangs all over the place, claiming that they are the power holders of a certain area of our city. They will take credit for the brutal murders that our people facilitate or commit. They will walk with a strut in their step brought on by the misplaced fears of the people around them. They use guns and knives to kill their victims or to do their work.
    But we control the streets.
    We are the Lycan.
    We are the dogs of the night, children of the moon. We kill with teeth and claw and strength, not the tools made by man. And while the leaders of these gangs may call for the death of a certain person, it is us that they must consult first. It is us that tells them what to do.
    We control the streets.
    While we were once a myth to humans, a mere figment of their imaginations, we are as real as the moon. Nobody knows of our origin but nobody cares enough to find out. Instead, we care about the taste of blood and flesh and fulfilling the carnal desires born deep inside us. We can release our primal rage at the slightest whim and go on a rampage of blood and death.
    So if anyone asks you while you are here in our city who it is that is in charge, remember this meeting. Remember.
    We control these streets.
    And we aren’t going to let that change anytime soon.

#2 2009-03-06 11:31:38

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Re: We Rule These Streets.

It's an interesting narrative to be sure, Ferafin. It holds strong emotion and conviction in the words, setting a darkened tone for the explanation. The descriptions you use for the creatures (dogs of night, children of the moon, etc.) are deliciously enticing. Is that a chill up my spine I feel?

Although the repetitive nature of controlling the streets is practically poetic, it feels a little unsettled. You might want to consider either sticking with one phrase only ('we rule the streets' OR 'we control the streets', but not both), or expand the differences by using other synonyms for controlling and ruling in the phrase. For instance, after using 'rule' for the first one and 'control' for the second one, you could use 'lead', 'run', 'direct', 'reign', etc. for the following ones, causing the same idea in the phrases, but worded differently. Again, it's just a suggestion to go to either extreme, but you may like the result.

There were a couple of other things I noticed, but they were more of a personal preference, so no need to mention them. 

I think this beginning sets the tone very well, setting the stage for what could become a lycanthropic version of West Side Story. Very nice beginning, Ferafin!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#3 2009-03-06 12:17:48

Ferafin
Website

Thank you kindly, Grayle.

I hadmy girlfriend read it and her words were

"Don't get me wrong, it is very well written, but they are stupid mutts."

But I personally prefer the Wolves of Darkness to the over-rated vampires that are so blown out of proportion by todays masses.

#4 2009-03-06 12:47:42

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Interesting, Ferafin. Your girlfriend has summed up, in her own prolific way, one of my pet peeves.

Most of today's audiences expect any werewolf to be a mindless, raging beast. Why? Because that's how they're always portrayed. If we are going to change that stereotype, there's only one thing to do: Make werewolves self-aware, able to communicate and make intelligent decisions in their werewolf form.

Don't limit them to stupid mutts; make them realistically capable of controlling and running the streets - not merely out of terror, but through an organized, intelligent effort. If you point out that intention to your significant other, she may be more inclined to cheer you on.

Now I get off my soapbox and submit the floor back to you. Sorry about that.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

Board footer