The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-04-04 02:30:07

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: P-Shifting (oh noez)

Aye, dogs and wolves (there's some controversy as to whether they should be considered two species at all), lions and tigers, horses and donkeys, horses and zebras, etc.

Also, I've never seen much consideration that horizontal gene transfer (via viruses) has occurred in organisms more complex than plants. At that point, it seems to turn into pure speculation.

#27 2009-04-04 17:27:08

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Well, supposedly research has shown that wild horizontal gene transfer can occur between animals - snake genes have been found in cows and algae genes have been found in sea slugs, plus a load of viruses contained in human 'junk' DNA.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#28 2009-04-05 00:08:47

WolfVanZandt
Website

Hmm...that would be interesting - sounds messy......

smile

#29 2009-04-05 12:31:59

lupen the wolf

Any virus in today's world is too unstable to use for genetic modification experiments, and any subject past the embreonic stage in develoupment would most likely die. Very messy...
I've looked into this, and it seems to be a dead end...

ego sum quis ego sum....

#30 2009-04-28 21:19:46

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Not virus, but maybe a gene, or chemical, coaxing change in the embryo? I've heard of studies having given chickens extra segments in the bones of their tails.

<3

#31 2009-04-28 22:14:54

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

LycanJayBoy wrote:

Not virus, but maybe a gene, or chemical, coaxing change in the embryo?

Oh boy, Prions, Hox-Shifts, and mitochondrial-replacement....

I've heard of studies having given chickens extra segments in the bones of their tails.

You could probably do that with something in today's technology, though it'd be hard without Stem Cells....

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#32 2009-04-28 22:25:24

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

SherlawkDragon wrote:

LycanJayBoy wrote:

I've heard of studies having given chickens extra segments in the bones of their tails.

You could probably do that with something in today's technology, though it'd be hard without Stem Cells....

Well, I know for a fact it wasn't Stem Cells, but some form of radiated gene, bringing out a strand of DNA related to dinsosaurs. The result was a chicken with a slightly longer tail.

<3

#33 2009-04-29 23:23:15

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Yeah, I've seen the study, I'm just saying: using radiation for Hox-Shifting is not the kind of thing that has solid application in the real world...

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#34 2009-04-30 10:45:13

bdk336
Website

I think that while it would be possible, if totally unethical despite that it might sound cool, to create a human-wolf hybrid by playing with an embryo's DNA (not saying we could just leap in and do it if it wasn't immoral, it would take quite a bit of research) I doubt that it would ever be possible with our technology to allow someone to shift between being human and something else, not including if you were to use radiation, stem cells, extremely advanced and risky surgical techniques and other such things to make a permanent change of course.

#35 2009-04-30 16:58:56

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Unethical?  Well, it would be pointless in some views.. but the public views the wolf as a killing machine. What if we could make that true? Simply put, a soldier with keener senses is a better one, isn't it? The wolf is wise, aye, but that would make us only wiser.

<3

#36 2009-04-30 19:17:22

lupen the wolf

I don't find anything about genetic manipulation unethical; humans do it to "lower life forms" all the time. Why shouldn't we take the next step and mess with our own DNA?
That being said, genetic engineering is not an exact science, that is, you can't make a very specific change without knowing exactly which genes do what, (Which we don't.) Plus, I really doubt that you could cross a human with a wolf no matter what you do, as the two species have a different number of chromosomes.

Last edited by lupen the wolf (2009-04-30 19:17:45)

ego sum quis ego sum....

#37 2009-04-30 20:56:23

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

Which if you could somehow reduce them both to a specific number, taking characteristics from one, and the other until they can be joined?

<3

#38 2009-04-30 21:19:15

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

lupen the wolf wrote:

I don't find anything about genetic manipulation unethical; humans do it to "lower life forms" all the time. Why shouldn't we take the next step and mess with our own DNA?

You sound like Andrew Ryan and Fontaine from Bioshock.....

That being said, genetic engineering is not an exact science, that is, you can't make a very specific change without knowing exactly which genes do what, (Which we don't.) Plus, I really doubt that you could cross a human with a wolf no matter what you do, as the two species have a different number of chromosomes.

That was part of my point, it's not easy to, and even if you do change the DNA in enough of someone's cells, cells need to grow into place, which takes years and doesn't happen uniformly.  If you want to transform someone, DNA alone won't do it.

This is all getting off topic though.  What you guys are talking about is not P-Shifting, but ways to create the fictional werewolf or something like it.  P-Shifting is a type of shift where a therian goes through clear and notable physical changes.

#39 2009-04-30 21:28:44

Iceis The Husky
The Teal Husky
Website

(Off Subject: Bioshock is a great game! Can't wait f or 2!)

But true.. we've been getting scientifical. What about magic? Or there are some sacrificers who good change. Embarressingly, I used to believe that in offering pieces of me, it could happen. But now that that's over, I look at it and think it foolish, but am able to see how religion affects man today.

Possibly just through believeing hard enough, you could become something you're not? Or forcing your mind hard enough to physically change your body?

My point being that you can't prove something can't happen, or doesn't exist.

<3

#40 2009-05-03 10:02:58

lupen the wolf

Force of will, huh? Well, I myself have gained a measure of control over my body, but I don't know of any one to actually change shape....

ego sum quis ego sum....

#41 2009-05-11 21:46:13

LoupGarouAngel
Website

I'm not trying to start anything, or saying my views on this matter, but I think all who are curious about physical shifting should know there IS a book available on lulu.com that is a basic guide on how to P-shift. Is it real? I don't know, nor do I have an opionion on it. If y'all want the link I can post it, but if you would rather avoid arguing I can delete this post all together.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#42 2009-05-12 20:21:56

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Are you referring to The Magick of Shapesifting?  See the link for info.

#43 2009-05-12 23:18:22

WolfVanZandt
Website

0\/0

I was hoping no one would mention that.......

Grrrr, snarl......

#44 2009-05-13 21:42:06

LoupGarouAngel
Website

Actually, no. It's this one...
http://www.lulu.com/content/2102874
I've talked to the guy and he is very nice and informative, as far as if it is the real deal, I don't know, i've not worked up the courage to buy it and try it.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

#45 2009-05-15 00:35:20

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

*takes a look* Ok...
If you want my opinion as an Occultist, it doesn't seem credible to me.  The author doesn't seem to be respected at all within the community, and blames it on the fact that he has "controversial views".  I could not find much more than a small blog article regarding this book, and that didn't give me much information.  His fans also seem to praise him for veil-breaking, secret-leaking, and tossing things which are considered to be dangerous at total novices: things which I am not fond of.  If you really want to, I'd say go ahead and buy it, tell us what you find.  But don't get your hopes up for it, and don't let your guard down with it.

#46 2009-05-15 10:18:15

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

Hahahaha, ok, someone with nothing to lose go ahead and buy it. If we don't hear from you again, we'll assume the worse... tongue

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#47 2009-05-17 20:55:22

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

The genetic manipulation that would be necessary for a physical change is far in the future if it exists at all. Plus I agree that it is a very "ethical question," on if we should even mess with the human genome. There is the chance that medical problems could be solved, which I think would be fantastic but where should it stop, and would we really want to have a "super human." The say power corrupts. That would be a lot of power.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#48 2009-05-17 22:28:27

WolfVanZandt
Website

WalMart?

#49 2009-05-17 22:54:32

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Ike, Run! Take Cover. The Store that has no sense of Grammar is invading.

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#50 2009-05-18 18:19:58

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

I have a game based on that concept... it's kind of a dystopian-future wild-west digimon type thing...

Board footer