The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-06 13:12:03

WhiteWolf1132

Civilians

Hey,
I'm not asking what I am, I'm only asking around for any experiences you guys might have had. Ever growled/whimpered/howled (etc) around anyone and been told you were completely crazy or a freak of nature, ever become a societal outcast because of being a therian? What I want to know is how do you deal with civilians. You know, non-weres. This post refers generally to anyone who is fairly recognizable on the outside as a therian -- acts just slightly like a wolf. What do you do? Act natural around people, I suppose .. but just curious whether you can tell me anything.
Thanks.

Last edited by WhiteWolf1132 (2009-04-06 13:21:29)

http://www.marialanger.com/2008/04/11/why-forums-suck/  The Death of Courtesy, Fast-forward to Today and Clash of the Nerds: Read them. Perhaps they will affect you.

#2 2009-04-06 23:28:50

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: Civilians

Same here. I simply behave as myself and people accept me because they recognize me as a "friend of the community". I try to be considerate. I doubt if it would be very pleasant for my neighbor (I'm in an outside apartment in an apartment complex) if I insist on howling loudly while he's trying to sleep.

#3 2009-04-07 15:10:48

WhiteWolf1132

Hmm... I had a few people who could get along with it but happen to live in an area where you're a freak if you're not completely suburbanite or your car is old (I'm like the creepy old witch's yard from which no one dares to retrieve stray baseballs.) You're probably thinking this means I'm totally out of it but no, I'm actually not as strange as it gets. heh, My luck..  Probably the best thing for me to do is lose the icky neighborhood then. hmm

PS. That totally made sense, yes. Thanks!

Last edited by WhiteWolf1132 (2009-04-07 17:08:13)

http://www.marialanger.com/2008/04/11/why-forums-suck/  The Death of Courtesy, Fast-forward to Today and Clash of the Nerds: Read them. Perhaps they will affect you.

#4 2009-04-08 15:02:08

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

WhiteWolf1132 wrote:

I'm not asking what I am

What are you?

Ever been told you were completely crazy or a freak of nature, ever become a societal outcast because of being a therian?

What I want to know is how do you deal with civilians.

"Civilians"?  What?

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#5 2009-04-08 17:26:54

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

*agrees with Sherlawk*

Additionally, generally speaking if I think that saying I'm therian will lead to insults etc., I'm highly unlikely to tell that person. Becoming a social outcast because you're a therian and becoming a social outcast because you told everyone you were a therian are two different things. The former is highly unusual, the latter is a bit stupid.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#6 2009-04-08 23:12:49

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

*agrees with Sherlawk*

I said something that could be agreed with?

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#7 2009-04-09 01:32:29

WolfVanZandt
Website

Often, actually.

#8 2009-04-09 07:42:15

bdk336
Website

Just one thing I'd like to point out, calling us civilians can make many people feel offended, not me personally mind, I've gotten over the little details that everyone makes a big deal of, but I'm sure that quite a few people (even here) could get offended by it. Also anyone who wants to alienate someone because they are a therian or anything else is either scared of that which they don't understand or insecure in their own lives.

#9 2009-04-09 10:01:46

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

bdk336 wrote:

Just one thing I'd like to point out, calling us civilians can make many people feel offended, not me personally mind, I've gotten over the little details that everyone makes a big deal of, but I'm sure that quite a few people (even here) could get offended by it.

He's the only person who uses the term "Civilians", which makes absolutely no sense, because we're not soldiers.  This might actually be why he's being "alienated by the cruel cruel humans who only want to crush what they don't understand! </ /3", if he's going around calling himself an "amazing werewolf" and everyone else a "mundane civilian" or "pathetic human".  Either that, or he's a dork who can't get friends so he runs here to find some sort of justification to escape to.

#10 2009-04-09 10:37:41

bdk336
Website

SherlawkDragon wrote:

bdk336 wrote:

Just one thing I'd like to point out, calling us civilians can make many people feel offended, not me personally mind, I've gotten over the little details that everyone makes a big deal of, but I'm sure that quite a few people (even here) could get offended by it.

He's the only person who uses the term "Civilians", which makes absolutely no sense, because we're not soldiers.  This might actually be why he's being "alienated by the cruel cruel humans who only want to crush what they don't understand! </ /3", if he's going around calling himself an "amazing werewolf" and everyone else a "mundane civilian" or "pathetic human".  Either that, or he's a dork who can't get friends so he runs here to find some sort of justification to escape to.

Okay, that is a little presumptuous to say that he either thinks himself superior to "normal" people or that he is just trying to escape from reality. You're right that using words like civilian to describe others can contribute to a feeling of superiority but that doesn't mean you should just assume the worst about someone who talks that way about others. People may not realize they have those thoughts, or may not think about what the word they are using implies, just saying don't condemn someone just because of a few words.

Also Whitewolf. As long as you have a few good friends/family members who you trust and don't live far away you should just enjoy their company, as for the rest of the world, don't put all that much thought into what people think about you, just be yourself and follow basic hygiene and you shouldn't have any problems with other people (yes this still applies even if you do stuff like bark in public) and as for the people that avoid you, you won't care about them if you focus your energies on the people you really care about. Also expressing yourself in any outlet: art, writing, sports, hobbies, etc is great for taking away stress, gives you more energy and makes you feel better about yourself. Have an outlet and some people you care about and you really won't care what other people think. Yes I know these sound like generic life lessons but they really do work.

And yes I know I got a little more into that than I intended but I tend to do it with everything, but seriously take that advice.

Last edited by bdk336 (2009-04-09 10:53:31)

#11 2009-04-09 11:17:43

WhiteWolf1132

SherlawkDragon wrote:

This might actually be why he's being "alienated by the cruel cruel humans who only want to crush what they don't understand! </ /3", if he's going around calling himself an "amazing werewolf" and everyone else a "mundane civilian" or "pathetic human".  Either that, or he's a dork who can't get friends so he runs here to find some sort of justification to escape to.

Never said I was a werewolf and until about a week ago did not know that the word "therian" existed.

ShadyHowl wrote:

Becoming a social outcast because you're a therian and becoming a social outcast because you told everyone you were a therian are two different things. The former is highly unusual, the latter is a bit stupid.

Yes, that is stupid. You don't tell people you're a "therian/were" .. especially not if you're under the age of 10 or whatever and don't know what they are. In that case you just do what you do.

Yeah, I think you've answered my question. That'll do. You don't know anything about me.

#12 2009-04-09 15:21:41

LerangFang

WhiteWolf1132 wrote:

Yes, that is stupid. You don't tell people you're a "therian/were" .. especially not if you're under the age of 10 or whatever and don't know what they are. In that case you just do what you do.

Yeah, I think you've answered my question. That'll do. You don't know anything about me.

o.o; for starters "Civilians" implies a form of military power, the proper wording would be "public". Second, only a select few know of my experiences, those that I trust with something that can be ridiculed in a second.

I advise people to do the same, for the fact that these people have told me secrets. If you're house is turned into the local witch place I suggest you do something if you are that concerned.

ps: I'm back?
pps: You're stupidly secret about it. It's not like you're internet is being traced to be used against you. -_-;

Last edited by LerangFang (2009-04-09 15:22:36)

You said in your heart, "I will ascend to heaven; I will raise my throne above the stars of God; I will sit on the mount of assembly on the heights of Zaphon; I will ascend to the tops of the clouds, I will make myself like the Most High."
Obviously that didn't work too well now did it lucie? =/

#13 2009-04-09 19:57:21

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

SherlawkDragon wrote:

ShadyHowl wrote:

*agrees with Sherlawk*

I said something that could be agreed with?

Yes, in the sense that your responses to Whitewolf's post were the same as mine.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

Board footer