The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-04-25 07:22:53

ShadyHowl
Token British Wolf

Psychological Shifting

I wondered if people would be willing to share their method and experiences for undergoing psychological/mental shifts (whichever you call it) - how you go about it, what you feel, what you do during, how it feels after? I'm just really interested in seeing whether there are common trends or anything which corresponds with my own.

Personally, I don't plan shifts and if I try, they won't come. My shifts come without warning, during different activities, and over a period of about 5-10 minutes I just slip into the wolf mind, my senses sharpen, I get the urge to run, to hunt, everything just feels like the inner wolf has taken over. Then, as quickly as it comes, it will go, though afterwards I'll probably stay in a vaguely animalistic mood for a few hours. It does feel good.

Anybody else care to share their experiences? I realise it's quite a personal thing, but I'm interested.

Disclaimer: I am actually female.

#2 2009-04-25 18:06:42

SherlawkDragon
Submarine Troll
Website

Re: Psychological Shifting

The most common term is "Mental Shift".  It's really hard to explain how it feels when I do it, it's like theres a part of me that's been chained down and I'm letting it out to exercise. Other than that, I can't give a better description.  Usually while I'm shifted I run around a bit (sometimes on all fours XD), it's like I experience my interaction with the world in a totally warped manner.  I'm not sure about afterwards, because I always end by curling up into a little ball and sleeping, but I recall it being very refreshing and relieving of alot of stress the times that I've gone back out of one without sleep. (I wake up refreshed though too)
Now, I'm a bit of a Contherian (a term which refers to a therian who doesn't shift) in that, while I have the occasional urge to shift (which is sometimes more like my skin is about to explode), I don't shift automatically, I have to do it at will which I'm pretty good at, which is good, because it means I can shift when I want but don't need to (for fun), and I can hold off a shift for a long period of time.
This is a pretty good topic, I hope VanZandt and Ghost Dog reply, I'm curious as to what they say... (I don't remember them saying anything about this before)

"GIVE ME NUDITY OR GIVE ME DEATH!!!!!"  -me, here, just now.
My Kewl Story about Unicorns

Hey, if anyone wants to IM me, go ahead, I'd love to chat...  Oh, by the way: ANWERS!

#3 2009-04-26 00:00:37

WolfVanZandt
Website

Actually, I don't think I ever tried to shift. It was always spontaneous. I don't really know how to say what it felt like. Partial shifts felt like I was two people (regardless of having multiple side, I don't think there was ever more than two "out" at any one time). We could think to each other. Full shifts felt normal. One side experienced a discontinuity in their time, but whatever side was dominant experienced life normally.

I haven't shifted since 1978, though. I don't shift in my dreams and I don't shift in Dreamtime. I begin with the same form I have throughout. I guess I could shift during traveling but I've never tried.

#4 2009-04-30 11:11:17

WerewolfLeaAnn

I have mentally shifted several times, I quite enjoy it. The wolf seems to make me think a little differently, but I'm hardley ever actually 'human' most of the time I'm either wolf or a sorta mix. Normally, I involuntarly m-shift if I am angry, relaxed(like in my dreams) or if I'm meditating (which I do alot). I feel like chasing a ball, or other animal like things. (Which makes me think, there a guy at my school who goes the name Wolfie, and I wonder if he's a therian) It's all natural to me. that's why my mom, and brother sometmes calls me a puppy. As for the half-state, I'm not sure why i do that, it jsut happens. Ghost Dog, you have a very good point, it seems to if i'm not execting it.
(i made it sound like it happens all the time, but I'm hardley ever any of those, most of the time I'm either meditating, or jsut calm, i really cant explain) I also tend to think in pictures in that state.

Last edited by WerewolfLeaAnn (2009-04-30 11:13:54)

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#5 2009-04-30 11:17:24

WerewolfLeaAnn

SherlawkDragon wrote:

The most common term is "Mental Shift".  It's really hard to explain how it feels when I do it, it's like theres a part of me that's been chained down and I'm letting it out to exercise. Other than that, I can't give a better description.  Usually while I'm shifted I run around a bit (sometimes on all fours XD), it's like I experience my interaction with the world in a totally warped manner.  I'm not sure about afterwards, because I always end by curling up into a little ball and sleeping, but I recall it being very refreshing and relieving of alot of stress the times that I've gone back out of one without sleep. (I wake up refreshed though too)
Now, I'm a bit of a Contherian (a term which refers to a therian who doesn't shift) in that, while I have the occasional urge to shift (which is sometimes more like my skin is about to explode), I don't shift automatically, I have to do it at will which I'm pretty good at, which is good, because it means I can shift when I want but don't need to (for fun), and I can hold off a shift for a long period of time.
This is a pretty good topic, I hope VanZandt and Ghost Dog reply, I'm curious as to what they say... (I don't remember them saying anything about this before)

dude, i feel the same way, it is very hard to describe, and i'v doen nothing but confuse myself...

"I feel the Change, back to a better day, the hair stands on the back of my neck, wildness is the preservation of the world, so seek the wolf in thyself!"- Metallica, "of wolf and man"

#6 2009-04-30 13:23:31

bdk336
Website

I also tend to think in pictures in that state.

This isn't a scientifically proved idea (although from the little I know about scientific/psychological study in this area I think that the facts would support it) but I believe that we always think in pictures and concepts, that we think spatially not in words. And that since words have such close ties to the things they represent (in our minds that is) we automatically tack on the words almost instantaneously from the moment of thought, however this is just in the "normal" state of mind that we experience most of the time when we are awake.

This also explains why people don't appear to have memories of being babies and why it is so hard to remember dreams, if we are in an altered state of mind in which we do not tack words onto thoughts (or have yet to create the association of words to their meanings) the words cannot aid us in defining those memories.

#7 2009-04-30 23:14:05

WolfVanZandt
Website

That's a very respectable (and respected) theory. The reason it isn't 'proven" is that it's impossible at this point to track what words and ideas are doing in our heads. But a person can observe the very thing happening in their own head if they're paying attention.

#8 2009-05-01 09:12:13

bdk336
Website

yeah exactly, it's one of those things you can't really prove because it is very difficult to get sample "data" that you know is accurate but is very likely and that you can observe in yourself. Although I didn't know it was a respected theory already, makes sense though.

Last edited by bdk336 (2009-05-01 09:19:53)

#9 2009-05-11 21:41:31

LoupGarouAngel
Website

ShadyHowl wrote:

I wondered if people would be willing to share their method and experiences for undergoing psychological/mental shifts (whichever you call it) - how you go about it, what you feel, what you do during, how it feels after? I'm just really interested in seeing whether there are common trends or anything which corresponds with my own.

Personally, I don't plan shifts and if I try, they won't come. My shifts come without warning, during different activities, and over a period of about 5-10 minutes I just slip into the wolf mind, my senses sharpen, I get the urge to run, to hunt, everything just feels like the inner wolf has taken over. Then, as quickly as it comes, it will go, though afterwards I'll probably stay in a vaguely animalistic mood for a few hours. It does feel good.

Anybody else care to share their experiences? I realise it's quite a personal thing, but I'm interested.

Mine come at random, however, it is more mood based for myself. When i'm ticked off, it can happen, not that I get all crazy and movie like, I just feel the wolf slipping in to take charge, my personality will usually then shifts from cool to aggitated. It can also happen when i'm outside, my human thoughts just seem to get brushed a side and I think simply and softly, just wolfish things such as using my senses, watching for prey and walking through the woods.

"You're like one of those lab rats that hits the pleasure button instead of the food until it dies!" Sam-Houses of the Holy.
"Dude, you Fugly." Dean-Scarecrow.
A therian who's a wanna be screenwriter, but doesn't have a life story that fits the bill...
http://loupgarouangel.deviantart.com/

Board footer