The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-15 21:15:50

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Your Personal Opinions...

Hi, I've been wanting to ask this since joining, which wasnt exactly long ago...but I still needed to pluck up a bit of courage to bring it up. I'm guessing posts like this tend to be quite often...usually people hoping that they are actual werewolves and the such. I'll stop the babbling now though.

Very recently, as in, the past 2 months...I've had random...the only word I can think of is urges, to just...howl. It's not only on full moons or anything, it can be anytime and anywhere. I've felt the need whilst travelling home on a train from university, I've woken up at 4am with the need to, whilst watching tv with my parents, and whilst hanging out with my friends. 9 times out of 10 I choose to ignore it, which can be tricky if I need to talk, if I don't focus on actual talking it feels as if I could just howl at any given moment. Luckily though, this odd need to howl tends to only last an hour or so at most.
I've kept it quiet to everyon I know, except my 2 closest friends. Although I think they both find the concept of it slightly amusing (which, fari enough, it does seem pretty damn silly) they just said 'If ya need to around us, then by all means do so' It's nice that they don't think I'm weird for it, but I'll still keep it in, I've only ever blurted one out once, whilst me and one of these friends were just hanging out in my room. We both just laughed it off, to the 2 friends I've told...they see it as a 'me' thing I do...albeit a bit odd.
From these odd urges though, I started thinking 'Why the heck am I getting this need?' Thats when I started searching about, reading all sorts of things I couldn't really follow.
As well as this though, these 2 close friends have pointed out quite a few...as they'd describe them 'canine' aspects I seem to show, although many I argue aren't just 'canine'. I mean, they say that I seem to be able to point out smells a minute or two before they notice them, and hear their phone ring before them. Theres a few other little minute things they point out, and although they can be associated with 'canine' characteristics, they aren't exclusive to them. Growling, being 'defensive' of whats mine and sleeping/stretching 'like a dog' as they put it.
They also point out that I'm a big 'dog person'. I seem to get on with dogs very easily. I'll admit, I am a huge fan of dogs, and they tend to be able to get used to me very quickly. Then again, it might just be that when I was a kid we had a family dog.

I'd rather be critical of these things, rather then just look for the easiest answer. 'If I feel like howling, I must be a werewolf!' That kinda thing doesn't appeal to me. I am however, open to any opinions whatsoever. To be honest, I'd rather just try to deny all of these characteristics, as I do recognise some similarities to 'canine' traits as currently I see them as a bit odd within the culture I live in, but denial wouldn't really be too useful.
I also believe that anythings possible, at the moment, I'm not in a position to say whether something is real or not, people claiming to be werewolves, claiming to have an inner animal of sorts...whatever it is, its a possibility.

Apologies for the very random mini essay of a post, but if anyone has any opinions on the matters (the howling bit in particular, but the other bits too if need be) I'd really appreciate it. Any views are welcome.

(Hope it actually all makes sense...getting a bit sleepy to reread it all)

EDIT: If this is in the wrong place, feel free to throw whatever you can find at me, and kindly direct me to the right forum! ^_^

Last edited by TheGremlin (2009-06-15 21:29:33)

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#2 2009-06-15 23:51:48

WolfVanZandt
Website

Re: Your Personal Opinions...

Y'know, they have "Howls" all over the Western US. I don't mean Therian  Howls. Rangers get groups of tourists together and, y'know, howl. the idea is to get wolf packs to howl back. The tourists report almost ecstatic experiences. In brief, howling is fun, life enriching, and mentally healthy. And that's why I say that most humans would be howling if they were not so speciecentric. Now you might be a Therian, but nothing you said is characteristic of Therians, Wolf or otherwise. For instance, a lot of the Wolf Therians I know don't howl.

One thing that completely mystifies me is how many obvious Therians are uncomfortable outside their home without clothes. Now, how uncanine-like is that?

Therianthropy may express itself in certain mannerisms (and may not), but therianthropy is not a set of behaviors. It is the physical, mental, and spiritual nature of who we are. You can't evaluate therianthropy solely on the basis of behaviors.

#3 2009-06-16 07:57:23

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Y'know, they have "Howls" all over the Western US. I don't mean Therian  Howls. Rangers get groups of tourists together and, y'know, howl. the idea is to get wolf packs to howl back. The tourists report almost ecstatic experiences. In brief, howling is fun, life enriching, and mentally healthy. And that's why I say that most humans would be howling if they were not so speciecentric. Now you might be a Therian, but nothing you said is characteristic of Therians, Wolf or otherwise. For instance, a lot of the Wolf Therians I know don't howl.

One thing that completely mystifies me is how many obvious Therians are uncomfortable outside their home without clothes. Now, how uncanine-like is that?

Therianthropy may express itself in certain mannerisms (and may not), but therianthropy is not a set of behaviors. It is the physical, mental, and spiritual nature of who we are. You can't evaluate therianthropy solely on the basis of behaviors.

Wow, I never knew about the 'Howls' within the US, within the UK I haven't really come across anything like that.
As I said above, I don't want to try to find the easy answer or 'find something that matches' and just assume that the characteristics I mentioned are that. Then again, I might be looking into it too hard, I'm looking at (or my friends have anyway) the more 'observable' things, when I haven't really took much account of my thoughts and anything going on in my head. I could come up with hundreds of different ideas about the 'why' on me howling. Is it the 'inner wolf' trying to show itself after being almost non-existant for so long? Is it something I've developed due to certain emotions, stress for example. Is it just me being a bit bonkers? Theres plenty of ideas I could think of. I think I'll have to read about a few more things, 'Therianthropy' being a start, as it'd be rather foolish for me to jump to any conclusion without having a firm understanding now, wouldn't it?

Thank you very much for the reply WolfVanZandt, it's been very helpful. Anymore opinions or ideas are welcomed!

#4 2009-06-16 11:32:30

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

WVZ and other therians on this board are great sources of knowledge and information, but remember, they can't tell you whether you are a therian (or what type) or not. That is solely up to you, up to what you feel and realize your self to be. There are several ways to confirm OR deny this. Some people just wake up one day and realize that they've always been this way and bam, they find the term and they're a therian, no doubt in their mind. Others, have dreams or "visions" which arouse there curiosity and drive them to do some inner soul searching. It's different for each therian, and the way it's expressed in terms of characteristics and behavior, as WVZ mentioned, is different for each therian. So don't misunderstand, it's not at all that the characteristics you listed are not those expressed by many therians, it's just that it's not the characteristics that define them. It's sort of like saying an banana is yellow, but just because something is yellow doesn't automatically mean it's a banana.

Ultimately, you have to decide by yourself. Personally, I find that the easiest way to answer this question is with extreme simplicity and honesty. Anything else just clouds the waters and makes it more confusing to see. Asking a yourself question, out of the blue, and with absolute sincerity, such as "Am I a therian?" or "Do I feel the wolf within me?" or something like that tends to shed a lot more light on the situation than trying to work it through your mind and confusing yourself (or convincing yourself of something that isn't the case). Also, never be scared to answer 'no'. It's much better to be temporarily let down about something that you wish to be and are not, than to be something that you're not and deceive yourself.

Hope this helps, and it's going to be a pleasure to get to know you Grems! I really hope that you stick around and find everything that you need!

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#5 2009-06-16 14:06:37

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

I think you are well on your way to finding your answers Gremlin. I don't think there is much I can even add to what the others have said, as they basically covered anything that I could have said. I will say that I think your approach to this theory of yourself, and as you implied others, is the correct way about doing it. A genuine,  honest attempt to find an answer that is correct instead of constructed, be it a yes, no, or maybe. As White has said the best thing to do would be to be honest with yourself. Ask yourself those difficult, simple, direct questions, and then answer them honestly and it will probably shed some light upon your case. The one thing I will add though is that be the answer an affirmative, or negative, you will find that you are still yourself, and that is the best thing of all. So when you look for your answers just stay true to yourself by being your self.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of anymore help, but my knowledge base ends with what has already been stated very nicely before me.  It is nice to talk with you again, and I hope that you find what your looking for.

Last edited by Vindicator (2009-06-16 14:07:44)

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#6 2009-06-16 17:09:53

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Thank you again for the replies. I think I know my own personal answer now. I did as White Wolf suggested. Today I've been having a nice relaxing day with my girlfriend, going for a walk, having a laugh, ordering a takeaway...that kinda thing. I went to the bathroom and just thought to myself, "Do I feel 'the wolf within?'" At any other time, I'd of found asking this questions to myself really silly...almost embarassing, but I knew the answer instantly. Yeah. It's there, and has been since I can remember, I've just denied it to avoid something that I've thought people would see as 'weird' or 'unacceptable'. After I've seemed to 'amit' this however, I don't feel different in the slightest, I was expecting to feel like I wanted to deny it...then again, should I? I am on quite an unusual 'feel good' period currently though, maybe due to that, who knows? Could just be the relaxing day I'm having!
I'm still a bit unsure on what to think tbh. I know that I'm getting somewhere, but where exactly?

Thanks for the replies everyone, they've all been immensly helpful!

#7 2009-06-16 18:06:41

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

Your welcome, although I doubt my post actually gave much help. tongue

Last edited by Vindicator (2009-06-16 18:11:27)

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#8 2009-06-16 18:21:14

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

More help than you think ^_^

#9 2009-06-16 21:43:22

White Wolf
Website

Glad to hear it Grems! (hahahaha, I don't know why I add the 's' but I seem to like it) I hope to keep seeing you around these forums and talking with you, I find all of your experiences to be quite interesting.

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#10 2009-06-16 23:18:19

WolfVanZandt
Website

What White Wolf said.

BTW White Wolf, have you ever seen a red banana?

#11 2009-06-17 00:06:48

White Wolf
Website

Hahahaha, can't say that I have. BTW, I did some digging about the SEHowls and everything, sounds very interesting... how does one find out about the next meeting, etc?

#12 2009-06-17 01:30:23

WolfVanZandt
Website

We have a newsgroup. I don't have it right here but there's a link on the Werelist Howls section in the SEHowl thread. Or, you can email me at wolfvanzandt@eswcarc.us and I can send it to you.

#13 2009-06-17 09:41:55

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

White Wolf wrote:

Glad to hear it Grems! (hahahaha, I don't know why I add the 's' but I seem to like it) I hope to keep seeing you around these forums and talking with you, I find all of your experiences to be quite interesting.

I quite like 'Grems' myself! Thanks for all of the replies and help everyone, I'm assuming quite a few questions like this pop up, and so it must be pretty repetetive. Apologies for that!
I don't think I'll be going anywhere for a while White Wolf, I'm loving this place! ^_^

0_o red banana?

#14 2009-06-18 00:02:52

WolfVanZandt
Website

#15 2009-06-18 00:08:28

White Wolf
Website

Wow... who would've known?

#16 2009-06-18 03:36:52

WolfVanZandt
Website

You should try them. They're not much different from regular bananas in taste but they make a certain aesthetic statement.......

#17 2009-06-18 06:30:22

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Looks like I'll be nippjng into my local Marks and Spencers then!

#18 2009-06-18 09:45:52

Eon Furioso
Kanjō no pansā-ō

hey i guess i should post here... exactly how would one find out that they are a therian or were? my friends say i am very cat like in the way i stretch, can sleep anywhere, i purr slightly when i am happy or amused, i can usually understand what a cat wants from me, i am most active at night and get really sleepy when i am in the sun, and sometimes when i am angry i hiss in frustration.... i just wanted to know what this all means or do i have to figure it all out by myself...

I am both two and one... to love one, you must also love the other... She and i are different but the same, two bodies in one...
Even in the darkest night lies hope. you just have to find it...
Watashi wa kurayami no naka de hisonde iru kotodesu

#19 2009-06-18 19:21:56

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

What everyone has said above me, I found really useful. I was really shocked to read about red banana's, I'm quite....oh wait, we're not on about red banana's are we?
big_smile
But seriously, whats been mentioned above I found to be of a lot of use, as well as exploring around this forum. The Therian FAQS was a good start (I think it's stickied). I found White Wolf's suggestion above to be very valuable. From this, as well as some more reading, and a lot of personal reflection after a nice, relaxing day helped me figure things out for myself. I am a Therian. It's always been there within me, and I've known it's been there, but not till very recently have I 'recognised' it. This 'it' that I seem to keep saying  I can't really describe, as WW mentioned earlier 'the wolf within' is the best way to describe it for me. Although in your case I would presume a feline of some sorts.
My knowledge is next to none in comparison to what others here can provide you with. All I can say is, there aren't really 'Symptoms' of a Therian, at least not clear ones, and as mentioned above, is different for each Therian. Different people, different experience.

Besides, for me I'm still quite new to this, in the Cafe I can very easily talk about my experiences and such. However, within daily life it's a tad more tricky. I mean...I'm even struggling with the question 'Do I tell my friends?' For one, I'm pretty sure my close friends would be clueless on what I was on about. Probably just think I was babbling on. Theres also the worry that if I were to mention the word 'werewolf' whilst attempting to describe things to them, they'd instantly assume I'd gone a bit crackers. Then again, is it really necessary to tell anyone? I mean, I usually tell my best friend anything, I've known her for almost my entire life, so can trust her with anything. But is it necessary? It's part of me, so what difference would it make to 'declare' it?

Well...that was a mix of something that was an attempt at help, that turned into my own personal questions. I hope people can keep up with my random responses.

#20 2009-06-23 17:46:26

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Don't know if its got any significance...maybe its due to me accepting rather then denying and trying to find another explanation, but...those urges to howl at random points seems to have stopped. Not an urge since...well, about a week ago I'd say...it might just be a 'dry spell' in terms of the lack of spontaneous howling urges...but who knows?

#21 2009-06-30 17:27:36

shadowfox
Website

What if you just get a "maybe" or and "I dont know for sure" answer to yourself? Whether youre trying to stop from sounding crazy, think that maybe somewhere you ARE just trying to be different, or that you really arent sure. I guess just asking when you arent thinking about it would be best, but as i read this and asked all i could say was "i dont know..."

Fight with your enemies, not with yourself; with tooth, nail and heart.

#22 2009-07-01 01:15:50

WolfVanZandt
Website

Y'know, most of the Therians I know seem to never get the urge to Howl. In fact, I can hardly even get them to Howl. They loosen up more in an ensemble, so at the SEHowl, if I howl, they'll often chime in. frankly, I very rarely ever get an actual urge to Howl. I simply like to Howl and do so when I want and it won't wake up my next door neighbor. Poor guy probably gets jarred awake by the noises I make in my sleep, when I have a waking pseudoshift (rather painful and I make incoherent noises), when I stump my toe, and when I.....well, but that wouldn't be proper here.....

Anyway, I enjoy a good howl when I'm looking down on the rest of the world (not that I'm that arrogant.......yeah, yeah, I know.....that's not what you heard) but it just feels so great when you're standing on top of  a mountain and just belt one out. Better than a burp after a Dr. Pepper.

#23 2009-07-01 06:42:23

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

WolfVanZandt wrote:

when I.....well, but that wouldn't be proper here.....

Is it bad that I'm very curious to this? Bah...me and my 'wanting to know everything regardless of what it is' syndrome! Lol.

I've thought about it and come up with my own personal theory...feel free to comment on what you think about it!

I think the howls have stopped due to me accepting myself now, rather than denying it. I think the howls could of been a way in wich I let my Therian aspects show, without completely blocking them out...albeit in some stereotypical 'wolf' way as it presented itself in howling, or the want to howl. So after finally accepting the fact that I myself believe that I am a Therian, the howls stopped...as my Therianness...if thats a word has now been acknowledged and realised.

Better than a burp after a Dr Pepper. I like that line for some reason! ^_^

#24 2009-07-01 13:47:28

shadowfox
Website

I would agree. It makes some sense that until YOU realized what you were the wolf spirit was trying to help it along.

Fight with your enemies, not with yourself; with tooth, nail and heart.

#25 2009-07-01 22:44:27

WolfMontana

WolfVanZandt wrote:

Better than a burp after a Dr. Pepper.

lol

"I like him... he says okie dokie!"
~ Dean Winchester, Supernatural
"He did so much, without kicking a single butt!"
~ Tommy Dawkins, describing Ghandi, Big Wolf On Campus

Board footer