The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-06-16 16:25:21

wf

Wild Luck

A light like a white-hot scalpel sliced open her eyes, and a muffled voice, rumbling like an engine under water, lapped in waves around her ears and eluded her understanding. Then, something panicky but powerful broke free in her. She tightly closed her eyes and turned her head defensively from the hand holding the small flashlight. Her mind clumsily grasped at the tides of syllables washing back and forth over her. She caught at something familiar adrift in that incomprehensible sea. It was her name.   
     "Ms. Langden? Moira Langden? I am Dr. Philip Roland. No, no, just try to lie still and remain calm. You have been unconscious since you arrived here two days ago. You're at Soliere Medical Center in Burnetteville. We have had to treat you for shock and dehydration, as well as some serious injuries.
     "You have two broken ribs, one of which slightly penetrated a lung. You might easily have died if some tourists hadn't spotted you in the brush as they set up camp. You are quite lucky, you know.
     "However, you sustained other injuries: a severe laceration across the chest and an unusual animal bite on the left shoulder. Of course, you have received a round of rabies injections, just as a precaution.
     "When you feel up to it, someone from the National Parks Service would like to discuss the animal which attacked you... Ms. Langden! Nurse, quickly! Now, Ms. Langden, please try to relax. We are giving you a sedative. There, isn't that better? You just take it easy. I will examine you again tomorrow morning."
     Footsteps carried the terrible light and the strange voice away some distance. Suddenly, an immense and gentle darkness, like a kindly whale, swallowed Moira. A  door latch clicked. Moira sank into a deep and comforting  silence. She knew she was alive, and for now, that was all she needed.

Last edited by wf (2009-06-18 13:24:27)

#2 2009-06-17 10:36:37

Goldie

Re: Wild Luck

ooooo, i like how this is beginning, more, i need more. big_smile

how can never ever be ever if never ever was ever, ever?
yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#3 2009-06-17 13:20:33

wf

Eyes closed, long body supine on her lawn lounger, Moira planned her solitary camping trip, moving only to yawn unself-consciously and stretch luxuriously. A light breeze swayed the thick, green leaves overhead and gentle sunlight dappled Moira and everything around her.  She felt pretty good, the best she had felt in a long time. After fifteen years of putting in massive overtime and anxiously plotting her campaigns in the subtle war which is corporate politics, Moira had found herself jobless. As lower-middle management in a well-known financial planning concern, she had felt snugly castled, until the big, angry hand of a maniac world economy had swept across the company chessboard, displacing Moira and meting out the same fate to almost everyone she knew.
     However, few had met that fate with such equanimity. Moira had felt free, had felt years younger within a month of losing her job. Although her personal investment portfolio had evaporated instantly, she still had her severance and her savings. Moira had to ask herself, "Why not enjoy life a bit? After all, I'm only thirty-six, and I've worked so hard all my life." She postponed jobhunting and made more interesting plans.
     Moira decided to go out and play. She booked a cruise to Antarctica. She saw the crown jewels in the Tower of London, the April chestnuts in Paris, and the shrivelled nether member of an elderly exhibitionist in Prague. She tried her luck in Las Vegas. (Not for long. It reminded her of the stock market.) She soon had gone through most of her severance and her savings.
     Then, she decided to explore Nature, which seemed to charge much less for accommodations and so on. Moira borrowed camping gear from a friend and set off for a few days of relaxation at Mulesbutte National Park.

Last edited by wf (2009-06-17 14:00:19)

#4 2009-06-17 19:28:02

wf

After a long day's drive, Moira found the energy for little but locating her reserved camping site and gulping down a sandwich and a soda. She quickly built a small fire, carefully banked. She fell asleep the moment she slid into the sleeping bag. Though the Milky Way twinkled away at Moira, she snored her indifference to the heavens. She felt perfectly safe in the embrace of a ring of pines, for she was unaware of the large figure pacing and softly growling at a secure distance from her campfire. 
     The following morning, Moira pulled together water and snacks for a long hike. Her slightly muscular frame, kept fit by many grim hours of aerobics at a health club, wore the cutoff shorts and muscle shirt to good advantage. She laced up her boots. She pushed back her shoulder length dark hair, with its one gray hair tucked carefully under the rest, shouldered her pack, and chose a trail from the park map. Then, Moira threw herself at Nature. Quite unexpectedly, Nature lunged back at her.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-16 16:21:55)

#5 2009-06-17 19:31:49

wf

Dr. Philip Roland, test results in hand, frowned in deep concern at the news. It turned out that the health insurance card found in Moira Langden's wallet was no longer valid. He sat and thought deeply about this. Better send someone to talk with the Langden woman about the various documents she would need to produce in order to qualify for the hospital's indigent program. He reached for his desk phone.

#6 2009-06-18 13:19:02

wf

Call me Grrr, if you can form the sounds in your shallow throat. A violent act brought me into being. I grow in a little space like a womb at the back of the brain. Nourished by the moon and fattened along with it, I kick the walls of this womb-mind. I know that she, the other, can feel me here, can feel how she will die a little while to let me live a little while. The birth/death always lies in wait for one of us, and the waiting-in-between, too, must always be, for one of us.

Last edited by wf (2009-06-18 13:26:19)

#7 2009-06-18 18:42:05

wolfblood17

Very good back story on the woman.  What's with your last entry in first person, it it the thoughts of the doctor or what.  Besides that, it is brilliant so far! wink

big_smile (with fangs!)

#8 2009-06-19 10:32:44

Bluemoon

Nice, like the last part. Sounds mystical. Altogether though it's really cool. cool

Booms are for bombs. Pows are for punches!
Know how to wield a weapon, then your a survivalist.

#9 2009-06-19 10:49:13

wolfblood17

Blue, I think you need to stop with the cool smilies.  They're everywhere!!!!

big_smile (with fangs!)

#10 2009-06-19 10:51:44

Bluemoon

And you need to stop having such a fat head too bro. No one's perfect.

Booms are for bombs. Pows are for punches!
Know how to wield a weapon, then your a survivalist.

#11 2009-06-22 13:33:42

wf

"Ms. Langden? Ms. Langden? You need to sit up now and take these antibiotics."

Moira reluctantly opened one eye, then both eyes. She dragged herself into a sitting position, wobbling a little.

"Here, now. Let's use this remote and adjust your angle that way," a fortyish African-American woman in a crisp nurse's uniform advised soothingly. She plumped up Moira's pillow and eased it back behind her. "Here are the last of your antibiotics, and here's a fresh cup of water."

Moira accepted the pill cup and water cup and prepared to swallow the dose. She studied the nurse's name tag, "Thanks, Nurse Johnson." Then, Moira scowled, "Uh! This water smells like a swimming pool."

The water did smell overpoweringly of chlorine, fluorine, ammonia, and a few other, less identifiable, chemical scents. Moira sceptically examined the ordinary-looking liquid, "Are there medications in here, too?"

Nurse Johnson tipped a curious glance at Moira, "No, Ms. Langden. It's just water."

"Well, I don't think I can drink this," Moira explained. "It smells awful."

"Tell you what, then. We've got a vending machine with bottled water by the nurses' station. I'll get you some of that, okay?"

"Thanks! And...would you call me Moira?"

"Only if you call me Teresa," answered the smiling nurse.

"Done," Moira grinned back and offered her hand for a shake.

#12 2009-06-22 13:44:33

Eon Furioso
Kanjō no pansā-ō

nice i like it it has very good detail and grammar keep up the good work

I am both two and one... to love one, you must also love the other... She and i are different but the same, two bodies in one...
Even in the darkest night lies hope. you just have to find it...
Watashi wa kurayami no naka de hisonde iru kotodesu

#13 2009-06-22 18:38:26

wf

"A whiff of unpleasant water odors does not constitute hydrophobia, Ms. Langden," lectured Dr. Roland, as he lovingly stroked his ginger mustache. "What's more, you have received a full round of rabies shots and various tests. You are clear of infection of any kind, and in a day or two, you should be sufficiently recovered to return home for the remainder of your recuperation. I've written some instructions here for homecare, mostly common sense warnings not to lift anything heavy and not to get your bandages wet...that sort of thing." Roland placed the instruction packet on the bedside table as Teresa entered with Moira's water.

"Nurse Johnson, the hospital tap water hasn't run dry, has it?"

"No, Doctor, but--"

"But you've decided to prescribe bottled water in Ms. Langden's case?" Roland huffed, " Isn't it enough that the nurses here get so many days off at odd times? You know, that myth about there being MORE WORK to do in emergency rooms on the full moon is just a bunch of hooey, so why do so many of the nurses at Soliere insist on taking time off during that moon phase? Are there menstrual issues here? Is it a strange cult? Is there a big full moon party going on every month at some Burnetteville roadhouse , or what? I mean to bring up this general avoidance of perfectly wholesome tap water AND these excessive nursing staff demands for time off at the next departmental meeting."

Roland turned back to Moira and adjusted his hornrims with a flick of his middle finger. "There's little more we can do for you here, Ms. Langden. The tender loving care of family and friends must do the rest," he sententiously declared, pausing only slightly before striding out the door.

"Why that arrogant little god-for-hire!" exclaimed Moira.

Teresa chuckled, "You said it, not I. Now, let's get the last of those pills in you. I guess we still can do that much for you around here."

Last edited by wf (2009-06-22 18:40:35)

#14 2009-06-23 13:25:53

Goldie

wow, that doctor is just plain daft, keep it up/ ^ ^

yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#15 2009-06-23 13:48:38

wf

"Ms. Langden, are you aware that your insurance member number is no longer valid?" Janine Duran, senior  clerk in Soliere's Billing Department, demanded to know.

"Uh, well..." Moira ventured.

"Then I suppose you have a new health insurance provider through another employer?"

"I'm afraid not. After the layoff, I just... I mean, I couldn't keep up with my Cobra payments."

"So you have no insurance at all?" Duran prodded.

"No," whimpered Moira.

Actually, Moira had intended to keep up her medical coverage, but what with all the travel, as well as the total collapse of any routine which job loss generally brings about, she had inadvertantly skipped a couple of those payments.

"You will need to have someone bring in all the documents on this list. I don't know if you will qualify for the indigent program or not, but you must either arrange to receive coverage under the indigent program or pay the owed amount upon release from Soliere Medical," declared Duran.

"I see," lied Moira, as the door firmly closed on the ever indignant billing clerk.

Last edited by wf (2009-06-23 16:43:53)

#16 2009-06-23 13:57:25

wf

"So, um, you need what now?" mumbled the distracted Jeb Carpenter, Moira's one-time coworker and frequent date. Carpenter could barely keep reins on his high-spirited digits in their race across the keyboard of his office computer. As those lank and nimble steeds of the cyber chariot dashed on, Carpenter leaned back and forth in his padded chair, and he also swayed from side to side, thumping his Mephistos on the underside of his metal desk.

"Jeb, you've still got my extra housekey, right? I know I didn't call when I got back from Vegas. I'm sorry! And, then, you know, I decided to go on that accursed camping trip, just, like, instantly."

"Uh, yeah," Jeb distantly replied, as if from another timeline in an alternate universe. Then, he seemed to realize that he would have to participate to make the conversation go, "Uh, yeah, yeah, I watered your plants all the time. Um, so, now, you need what?"

#17 2009-06-23 14:50:25

wolfblood17

I love the description of Jeb's keyboard skills.  I don't really like Jeb much, he needs to find another job if he's ignoring women in distress like that.  Again....brilliant story!

big_smile (with fangs!)

#18 2009-06-23 15:28:30

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Curious beginning, lots of character development and history. It rounds out the story very nicely. I'm very curious about all the nurses disappearing on the full moon - I don't want to jump to conclusions, though.

Your spelling and grammar are solid, as is your descriptive language. You also have a nice storytelling style, continuing the flow of events at a comfortable pace, speeding up and slowing down in proper areas.

Nice story, wf!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#19 2009-06-23 16:33:37

wf

Though virtually a part of the machine when poised before his office computer, Jeb prided himself on his very human qualities. Specifically, he made sure to look his sharpest when preparing to dump a girlfriend. Therefore, Jeb presented himself as for a final inspection at Moira's hospital bedside. He had brushed the biscotti crumbs from his goatee and dressed himself in something unstained by lattes, but casual and summery.

"Say Moira, uh--God, this is so hard! You know, you were gone all that time in Europe, couldn't wait until next year, when I could've gone too. I just feel like we've drifted apart. I think I need more time to myself to figure it out."

"But Jeb," Moira pointed out," I haven't seen you in months."

#20 2009-06-23 16:38:25

wf

"I know, I know, and it's a real issue," babbled Jeb, desperate to escape. Susan, a new interest who also had clung to her job at the company, waited impatiently out in his convertible. "Anyway, I brought the stuff you needed for the hospital all this way on a saturday, so we're still friends, right?"

"I guess," Moira tiredly allowed, "Oh, hey, let me have my housekeys back. I'm getting out of here tomorrow."

Jeb did not offer to stay in Burnetteville and give Moira a lift home the next day. Moira knew why. She could, quite literally and in incredibly informative detail, smell his reason all over him.

Last edited by wf (2009-06-23 16:39:36)

#21 2009-06-23 16:54:21

wf

Sunday morning, Teresa helped Moira find the small glass cubicle where the weekend Billing clerk hunched and pecked at a keyboard. Teresa gave  Moira a careful hug, "You take care now. No heavy lifting."

"Don't worry. Hey, maybe I'll pass through Burnetteville again sometime," Moira automatically said, thinking, "Nevermore."

"I wouldn't be surprised," Teresa answered, peering oddly into Moira's face and then at her bandaged shoulder. "Good luck, Moira."

As Moira turned to the Billing booth, Teresa stepped several paces along the corrider, took one glance back, and whispered, "Walk away from the thorns, Moira honey."

#22 2009-06-24 13:41:41

wf

The clerk, a bored, young, bubble gum-smacking blond named Sandy, presented Moira with a bill. Moira's eyes widened, and she gasped. Soliere Medical wanted ten thousand dollars. Moira's eyes slowly traced down the column of itemized figures. One item caught her eye: a considerable charge for blood transfusions. Moira pondered this.
     As Moira looked up and prepared to question Sandy about the transfusion charges, the clerk's jaw ferociously worked, and her lips acted as mufflers to a series of slight popping sounds. A tiny pink bubble emerged from Sandy's mouth. It steadily expanded until it had eclipsed her face. Then, the bubble shrank away to nothing. There was the popping. Again, the bubble expanded to face-size. Again, it contracted. The sequence repeated on and on, hypnotically.
     Moira felt herself beginning to sway back and forth to the rhythm of that pink, balloon-like expansion and contraction. She became aware of a sound from within her mind. It was a voice, deep, resonant. It spoke. It said, "Grrr."
    At last, the clerk's strange performance ended. Moira snapped out of her trance and stepped closer to the glass enclosure, determined to have her say.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-23 17:19:49)

#23 2009-06-25 00:21:09

Goldie

cool this is turning out good. smile

#24 2009-06-25 13:59:04

wf

"Surely this is wrong. Had I lost so much blood in the attack, wouldn't I have died? Dr. Roland told me I wasn't found and brought into the hospital until morning. How could I lose so much blood and survive the night?"

"You need to ask the doctors them kinda questions. I don't pill'em. I just bill'em."

"And ten thousand dollars!? A luxury hotel wouldn't charge that much, but the food would be better."

"So how you gonna cover this, Ms. Langden?" Sandy's freckled face studied Moira's outraged one.

"Cover? Ten thousand? Now?"

Sandy pointed to a plastic plaque which read, "Hospital charges are payable upon checkout by uninsured patients."

#25 2009-06-25 14:03:10

wf

"What about that indigent program?" Moira pleaded, "I was laid off a while back."

"Records show you don't qualify. Too much income."

Moira didn't know what to do. The appearance of a green-and-gray uniformed NPS ranger at her elbow broke into her confusion, "Ms. Langden? I'm Tim Oakman. I work for the National Park Service. Would you mind answering some questions about the animal attack you experienced at Mulesbutte National Park last week?"

Last edited by wf (2009-07-16 16:33:45)

Board footer