The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#26 2009-06-28 08:17:08

Goldie

Re: Wild Luck

ok, here we go, the werewolf emerges. ^^

how can never ever be ever if never ever was ever, ever?
yes, i said that, but what do i mean, I'm what was that, thats crazy, crazy go nuts, nutty nuts. ok i guess I'm done, but it will never be over, now will it????????

#27 2009-06-30 16:36:37

wf

After Moira and Ranger Oakman settled themselves on the nurses' patio, a cool, shady, screened enclosure with dark green chairs and benches scattered across the concrete floor, Oakman seemed to hesitate. They had the patio to themselves, yet the tall, broad-shouldered ranger stared awkwardly at his boots and remained silent.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-23 17:21:49)

#28 2009-06-30 16:40:55

wf

Moira watched him. He had large, hazel eyes, with a tendency to squint. His strong features appeared perfectly balanced and very tan from countless hours spent outdoors. The sun had streaked his brown hair with little zigs of blond and zags of auburn. His teeth were strong and white, but his firm mouth seldom smiled. When Ranger Oakman did let the slightest bit of smile penetrate his official poise, tiny dimples flashed along each side of his mouth.

#29 2009-06-30 16:43:45

wf

Moira would have called Oakman a hunk if she had only glimpsed him in a magazine. In person, he exuded something more than good looks. He had--Moira thought a moment--he had a clean smell about him, as if the filth of office politics and the taint of messy relationships had never touched him.

#30 2009-06-30 16:50:10

wf

"Ranger Oakman, did you have some questions for me?" Moira began.

"Ms. Langden, I know you've had serious injuries and a terrible shock, but I do have to ask, what can you remember about the attack?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing? At all?"

"Dr. Roland tells me my memories of the attack may return, but shock has blocked access to those memories right now."

"How are you feeling, generally? Any unusual thoughts or--or impulses?"

Moira puzzled over the line of thought the questions had taken, "I'm not sure I know what you mean, but there's one strange thing."

"What?" Oakman peered at her.

"My nose has superpowers! Or it's gone haywire... Everything smells superstrong. It's a bit overwhelming."

"Anything else?"

Last edited by wf (2009-06-30 16:53:29)

#31 2009-06-30 16:59:47

wf

"No." Moira wondered what Oakman was fishing for. "The doctor assured me there's no chance of disease. I mean rabies, if that's your concern."

Oakman's eyes seemed to net Moira up in one sweep, "You look healthy enough."

"Yes, and now I must pay," groaned Moira.

"Ms. Langden, I couldn't help but overhear your conversation with Sandy. They won't have you arrested if you can't pay now. They will send you whopping bills and sic collectors on you, but that's about it.
     "I wondered, how do you mean to get back to Mulesbutte and retrieve your car? I'm headed back there now, so I can give you a lift, if you want."

Last edited by wf (2009-06-30 17:00:44)

#32 2009-07-01 03:36:33

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Nice continuation. You have excellent dialogue between the characters, as well as visual queues to help the reader imagine each character and their actions.

It appears as though Oakman will be an amateur investigator with suspicions of werewolves who will gain verification by the transformation sequence of Moira, but that's a prediction based on telltale storytelling of this genre. With the background you've already supplied to Moira, I'm guessing you've put a modern twist to your tale, which only entices me to read on.

I'm interested to see where you take us in this story, wf.
  Please, lead the way.

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#33 2009-07-02 12:38:06

wf

Moira both hoped and feared that the ride to Mulesbutte National Park would jog her memories of the attack. However, no sinister associations spoiled the beauty of the drive down one country road after another, all winding among towering pines, oaks, and elms, as well as skeins and spumes of honeysuckle and sweetpea. Drunk on their fragrances, Moira sat back and closed her eyes. She drifted into a half-sleep. The squeak of suspension springs on uneven surface brought her out of her catnap and announced their arrival at the park station. Moira sat up and smoothed her hair and outfit.

Oakman eased the truck into its reserved space. He went around to open the passenger door for Moira and carefully helped her out of the truck. She shook off her fog and looked around. Her green Saturn, lightly coated with dust, sat waiting.

"We have your gear stowed away inside. Stay here and relax. It won't take me a minute to round up your stuff," assured Oakman, as his lean frame swung on his bootheel. He crunched off across the parking lot gravel towards the station, a cottage made of large stones.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-16 16:36:47)

#34 2009-07-02 12:46:59

wf

As Oakman disappeared through the station door, another park vehicle drove into the parking lot and pulled into the spot by Oakman's. A stocky young African-American man jumped out the driver's side. There was something familiar about him. As Moira tried to place him, Oakman emerged from the station with her borrowed sleeping bag and other gear, all neatly stashed in a big duffel bag.

#35 2009-07-02 12:52:07

wf

"Here you go. I believe this is all your gear... Johnson! I'm glad you're back. We need to go over the schedule. Ms. Langden, this is Ranger Johnson. Johnson, this is the lady who survived the animal attack some nights ago."

"Johnson? Are you related to Nurse Teresa Johnson, who was so nice to me at Soliere?

"She's my mom," the young man proudly assented.

"Well then, I am especially happy to meet you, Ranger Johnson."

"Didn't Mom mention me? She likes to brag on me, but she probably referred to me as her baby Jon-Jon," chuckled Ranger Johnson.

"Jon-Jon?"

"Yes. You see, my full name is Jonathon John Johnson. I know, I know," Johnson threw up his hands. " Don't ask."

"Names can make or break us," Moira observed. "By the way, I haven't seen a mule or a butte anywhere around here. How did the park get its name?"

"Old time trappers and prospectors followed a trail along the present-day northern boundary of the park," Oakman said.

"Is the butte along there, then?" Moira asked.

"No, but there's a big rock weathered into the shape of a mule's flanks and tail. When the U.S. government  turned the territory into a park, they changed the name, adding an e."

"So originally it was called--"

"Yep," the lanky Ranger interrupted, as he nudged a pebble with his boot.  "Ranger Johnson, I need your report on that vandalized pedestrian bridge as soon as possible, so I can arrange repairs."

Last edited by wf (2009-07-02 13:04:17)

#36 2009-07-02 13:07:10

wf

"I'm on it! Nice to meet you, Ms. Langden."

"Nice meeting you, Ranger Johnson."

"Call me Jon-Jon."

"Call me Moira."

The young man nodded and turned to go. Something in his supervisor's face amused Jon-Jon, who tossed Oakman a quick wink before heading to the station.

#37 2009-07-02 13:10:31

wf

Oakman wryly grinned, "And you'll call me Tim from now on, I hope." He offered her his large, calloused hand.

Moira smiled and accepted the hand, "I'm very pleased to meet you, Tim." 

As Tim loaded the camping gear into the Saturn's trunk, Moira noticed an odd scar on his neck. "Well, no one's perfect," she told herself.

#38 2009-07-02 15:58:52

wf

On the long drive home, Moira thought about Tim Oakman. He wore no wedding ring. Could he be--? No, no! A step so heavy, hair so unkempt, hands so calloused... Tim Oakman had to be a possibility. Moira constructed a complete image of Tim in her mind. Next to Tim's image, she placed that of Jeb Carpenter. "No contest," Moira chuckled lasciviously.

Tim, with all his charms, did have that one slight flaw: the scar. Healed into an ovalish, puckered gouge mark on the back of his neck, just below the uneven line of his haircut, the mark seemed lined with somewhat deeper punctures, such as might be left behind by cleats, or nails, or teeth (if they were very long and sharp).

Last edited by wf (2009-07-23 17:26:06)

#39 2009-07-02 16:21:52

wf

Moira yawned as she steered her Saturn into a curbside spot in front of her small home, a one-story, shingled bugalow. Originally a two bedroom house, in the Eighties it became a one bedroom (plus one small home office) establishment, billed by the real estate agent as a "yuppie castle." Moira had picked the place up cheap in 2002 after the stock market panic of 2000 brought home prices down. She wondered how much of a loss she would have to eat when she resold it. She knew she couldn't keep up the payments.
     Depressed, Moira kicked the week's accumulated newspapers aside and unlocked her front door. Darkness, as well as a peculiar sense of loneliness, almost physical, struck her. She felt somehow not quite home yet. The magical drive to and from the park had relaxed and cheered her, but now, fumbling for the light switch, Moira's mood prism twisted around to a less and less rosy point on the spectrum.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-23 17:27:17)

#40 2009-07-07 16:21:41

wf

Sleeping in lightened Moira's mood. She woke at about 9:00 a.m. After cereal thoroughly watered from a bottle (The milk had soured during Moira's absence.), Moira thought about her situation. She knew she should job-hunt. She knew she should buy groceries, pay bills, dust furniture. Yet she felt stuck, snagged by her recent bizarre encounter with...what?
     There! That was it. Until she knew what had hit her, how could she start fresh?
     Moira dug through her dayplanner for a pink and yellow business card. She dialled the number. Moira's shrink, Cynthia, answered the phone herself on the second ring, "Cynthia Lloyd, psychotherapist. May I help you?"
     Moira wondered what had happened to Cynthia's receptionist, but she didn't really care. She said, "Cynthia, it's Moira Langden. You worked with me on my job burnout a couple of years ago. Well, I've had the most godawful thing happen to me. A wild animal bit and mauled me!"
     "Moira, you poor woman! Of course, I will push aside less urgent appointments and see you immediately. Today, in fact, at, say, elevenish?"
     "Thank you, Cynthia," gushed Moira.
     "But of course! I am ready to help. Let's see, now. I suppose your insurance carrier is the same? Right? Hello?"
     "Uhh, well, Cynthia, you see, on top of everything else, I've lost my job and health insurance. Christ, Cynthia! You've got to help me!"
     "Now, now. Take deep, cleansing breaths. There. See? Isn't that better? That was all you needed."
     "But you are going to see me at eleven today, right?" Moira weakly sought confirmation.
     "Oh no, Moira dear. You don't need my services for a mere hamster bite. Or puppy. Kitten? I can't recall what you said it was-- Oh, Moira honey, a client just arrived. Gotta go!"
     "But--"
     "Sorry dear. I'm all booked up. 'Bye."
     Cynthia hung up. Moira slumped forward on her sofa and put her head in her hands.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-23 17:28:19)

#41 2009-07-07 16:39:23

wf

Moira examined the books in the Self-help aisle until she found one whose title announced, "Regressive Self-Hypnosis for the Foolhardy." She grabbed the paperback, quickly paid for it by credit card, and hurried home.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-07 17:45:32)

#42 2009-07-08 11:38:59

wf

Flies hovered lazily about the window screens and idly groomed themselves on the sunny window sills at the station of  Mulesbutte National Park. A fan slowly spun overhead in the dim light of the high ceiling. Tim Oakman had the small station house to himself as he pondered the autopsy report. The scant remains of the victim, most likely an adult male, had yet to be even tentatively identified. The cause of death also held mysteries. The coroner had determined that attack by a large animal, of an as yet indeterminate  species, was the cause of death, which had occurred on the same night that Moira Langden was attacked.
     Tim kicked back in his dilapidated swivel chair and pictured Moira: her light brown eyes, her thick, dark, shoulder-length hair, her smooth, delicate skin,  her patrician nose sprinkled with freckles, the slight dimple in her chin, her body, slightly muscular, properly curvy, with long--they used to call them "wrap-around"-- legs. Tim sighed.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-16 16:43:58)

#43 2009-07-08 11:54:37

wf

All the rest of that day, Moira had studied over the self-hypnosis book and tried to regress herself. By dinner time, her brain refused to have anymore to do with the project, not the first time her mind had so rebuked her regarding pop psychology.
     After a light dinner of cheap, excessively salty noodles, Moira trudged back to the bathroom for a sponge bath. For the first time since the attack, she cautiously peeled back the bandages from her chest and shoulder. She held her breath and blinked.
     A cut about fourteen inches long and bristling with self-dissolving stitchery stretched like an angry caterpillar from the area just below her right shoulder to the area just short of the broken ribs on the left side. On the left shoulder, an oval-shaped gouge wound, pricked about with little knots of stitches, plucked at something in Moira's memory. She knew how this mark would look later on. She knew because, healed up, this bite wound would resemble in size and shape the scar Moira had noticed on Tim Oakman's neck.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-08 16:12:05)

#44 2009-07-09 13:03:43

wf

Painfully, Moira crawled between her bleached and ironed sheets. She sought refuge there. She wanted to curl up, but her ribs ached too much for that. She sighed and took up a modified "coffin" position: face up, body straight, arms crossed over the upper abdomen. She began to relax. Her limbs loosened. Her heartbeat and breathing slowed. Sleep drifted closer. Moina decided to try once more.
     She counted backwards as she imagined herself slowly walking down a darkened corridor. At the end was a door. She pushed it open. Raw sunlight glared into her eyes, but she knew where she was. She was back at Mulesbutte National Park.

#45 2009-07-09 13:07:57

wf

She recalled hiking down one path after another, amazed that so much was still so beautifully and insistently alive in the natural world. (Or nearly natural. The gravel path, alternating with the short, arching, wooden bridges, seemed civilized enough.) Not really tempted to stumble through the underbrush, Moira nevertheless peered into it as if caught by some mystical vision, like a scryer whose soul has gone a-travelling through the infinite refractions of a fine crystal ball.
     As the day drew late, Moira stopped to rest by a small lake which rippled and twinkled with gold and orange glints. She thought back to childhood summers at Girl Scout camp. She remembered peanut butter apples and campfire-blackened hot dogs on peeled pine sticks. She thought of silly ghost stories that ended in creepy sayings like, "Bloody bones and black eyes!"  or "X marks the spot!" Sometimes the storyteller would let her voice get softer and softer, just to lull the listeners, for she meant to terrify them by suddenly yelling, "Boo!" The affrighted but delighted faces, glowing in the firelight, would scream and giggle and, of course, beg for another story.
     The sweetness of her memories lulled Moira as surely as the storyteller's murmers once had done. All at once, Moira realized that the sun had dropped behind the trees, that night was coming on. She pulled her flashlight from her backpack and started back to her campsite.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-09 17:26:55)

#46 2009-07-09 15:58:21

wf

Gloom embraced the pine trees and underbrush as night fell abruptly and heavily. Moira's flashlight picked up the light gravel of the trail and a marker which indicated she hadn't much farther to go, yet her uneasiness increased. She stopped and listened. She heard nothing, not even crickets.
     Then, a very deep rumbling, felt more with the spine than heard with the ears, filled Moira with terror. The rumbling increased in volume, and its pitch rose to a shriek. Simultaneously, something very powerful grabbed Moira around her upper arms and whipped her about and up into the air. She instinctively kicked out with both feet at her unseen opponent and felt one boot connect with something soft on the surface but brick-solid just beneath.
      Something bellowed. A beam of light from her dropped flashlight swept across a shifting surface that looked like dark, matted fur, but Moira had little chance to register this, as her opponent retaliated for the kick by shaking her so violently that her teeth chattered, her head jerked spasmodically back and forth, and the joints in her arms, legs and jaws clicked and popped.
     The grasp around her arms released. Moira hurtled through the dark air. Her back struck the ground very hard. She couldn't catch her breath. Something large and heavy landed on her chest. Moira heard a cracking sound. Pain surpassed comprehension. Then she heard, rather than felt, flesh tearing. Something clamped down very tightly on her left shoulder. Warmth sprayed her left cheek and trickled down her neck and left arm. Moira went limp. She stopped. She dropped into the icy arms of Nihil.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-16 16:48:15)

#47 2009-07-09 16:12:47

wf

Moira found herself on the floor by her bed, surrounded by darkness. She scrambled to her feet and clumsily flung out her hand for the bedside lamp. It crashed to the floor. Panicked, Moira sprang for the window. Yanking aside the drapes, she leaned against the night-cooled window sill and willed herself to a precarious calm. The waning moon threw its half-light, like a sweet mother tucking in a blanket, all around Moira. Her breathing and heartbeat approached normal again. She stood at the window and stared out at the silvery, moonlit world for a long while.
     By the time the dawn sun had worked its alchemy and turned the silver to gold, Moira had decided. She knew what she had to do.

Last edited by wf (2009-07-09 17:29:51)

#48 2009-07-09 16:15:48

wf

End Of Chapter One

So readers, what do you think?

Last edited by wf (2009-07-09 16:17:37)

#49 2009-07-21 16:34:56

wf

A friend has given me this feedback: (1) The dialogue is so stilted and unvaried that it seems all of the characters are channeling the same librarian. (2) The scanty description leaves the reader puzzled as to the appearance of everyone, including the main character. (3) It is difficult to identify or sympathize with the main character because her emotions are not made clear. (4) The story is of no interest to an adult.

Do you agree with these criticisms?

#50 2009-07-27 07:11:09

wolfblood17

NO!!!!! You honestly have a bad friend....who doesn't like to read...Your descriptions are meant for the reader to use their imagination on what the characters look like, and thats perfect.  Maybe you should describe the characters actions in the conversation though, it'll make it look like their not standing stiff-as-a-log while talking.  Other than that one minor issue, its a very good story.  This story is the first one I read when it has new posts!

big_smile (with fangs!)

Board footer