The Werewolf Café The Werewolf Café

You are not logged in.

#1 2009-07-02 22:05:41

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

First Ever Piece...

Yeah...I had a very odd urge to write for the first time ever. I didn't actually think I had a creative side, so it came as a massive shock to me! Either way, the lack of it will show in this! Lol.
I haven;t titled it as...I didn't know what to call it! It's all just something I wrote tonight, I did minor spell checks to it online...as for some reason my word processor doesn't allow me to spell check! >_< So apologies in advance for any awful spelling, punctuation and grammar!

Anyway, without further delay here it is! Don't feel like you HAVE to say it's awesome or anything as...it really isn't (although I was kinda surprised at how much I wrote) XD I promised Larka I'd show her what I wrote. Comments would be pretty cool though! big_smile
So...enjoy I guess?

©Mike Greaves

The moon shone brilliantly over the clearing in the forest. The stream twinkled gently under the clear night sky, running through the clearing like a silver ribbon.  Beneath the thick blanket of trees, out of reach of the embrace of the moonlight, was darkness and deadly silence. The silence was broken by an loud cry for help, interrupted by a ear-splitting wail of pain, dying away into silence once again. A shadowed figure runs from the woods, and into the clearing, moonlight pouring onto them. A young man gasped for breath by the waters edge. He looked exhausted; his face was red, sweat rolled down his forehead, his clothes looked tattered, and were torn in places.

What's happening?  Who was that shouting for help?

The youth look around rapidly, he seemed clueless to where he was. He was lost and scared.

Jess? Mark? Alice? Grey? Where are you guys? Don't go back to the camp...

He knelt down, cupped some water in his hands and threw it across his face. Standing back up, he reaches into his pocket nd pulls out a small switchblade. He flicks out the blade, and holds it firmly in his hand, pointing it towards the direction of the darkened forest he had ran out of.

What were those things? Wolves? Bears? What do I do? Where is...

His thoughts were abruptly cut short by a shrill scream. He dropped the knife and cowered backwards, tumbling into the shallow stream. He quickly picked himself out of the water and scambled back to his feet, his clothes now soaked from his brief fall. His breathing now irregular due to exhaustion and fear. Someone else had been caught.

Jess? No, please don't be...I'm scared...this wasn't supposed to happen. Mum...Dad...

Once again, the forest was hauntingly silent. The terrified man rapidly scanned the area for his switchblade, the only thing he had that he could use a some form of self-defence. It had landed a few feet further from where he had stood. He needed that knife. He nervously crept over to the knife and knelt down to grab it. As his hand touched over the handle, something stood out in the darkness. Hand still on the handle, he slowly raised his head to look into the veil of darkness before him.

Please, no.. I don't want to die. I don't want to die... someone...help.

Amber coloured eyes, like burning candles in the night stared back at him through the shadows of the trees. It was what he had been running from. What him and his friends had been running from. His hand, outstretched towards the knife began to tremble.

This is it...I'm gone...dead. ...I...I'm sorry...I'm so sorry. Jess...

An deep noise, like that of a motorbike engine made the man snap out of his thoughts. Whatever it was staring back at him wasn't happy. It was growling menacingly, it didn't like him, not one bit. The creatures burning gaze remained fixed upon the man, coldly staring into him. It began to creep forward, slowly emerging from darkness, and into the what now seemed to be cold light of the moon. The young man, began to whimper slightly, his hand still outstretched, holding onto the knife handle. He managed to avery his eyes from the creatures cold harsh stare, and looked down at the huge paw that emerged into the light, claws gleaming in the glow of the moon. The man realised if he didn't run now, he'd be a goner anyway. He clutched the knife, and threw it at the creature. He didn't take the time to check if he'd hit it or not, he turned around and ran for his life. A thunderous noise came from the beast, a howl which seemed to echo throughout the entire forest. The knife must of hurt it.

A monster. Not a bear. Not a wolf. A monster! Help ...someone ...please...

The youth ran into the blackened forest across the other side of the clearing. He had no idea where he was going. He just wanted to be somewhere away from that thing. Avoiding the trees, branches and bushes was tricky in the pitch-dark of the forest, but he managed to make his way into the forest and away from the clearing  without tripping over, or being taken out by a low hanging branch. Looking round he realised that the clearing was well out of sight, but also realised that in the darkness of the forest he could barely see 5 feet ahead of him. Now he was completely disorientated, exhausted and lost. He had no clue on where he was, what time it was, what was happening or where his friends were. Terrified, exhausted and defenseless, the man rapidly looked around. Nothing but darkness greeted him wherever he looked.

What do I do? I want to go home...I...I'm scared...

Tears began to run down his face. He had given up. He had no idea what to do. Sitting on the floor against a tree the man huddled into a ball and covered his face, in hopes that he wouldn't have to see those eyes again. Those cold, piercing eyes.

Wait till the sun rises... when the sun rises... everything will be better. I won't die...

These last pieces of hope he clung onto were torn apart by the same sound that had sruck terror into him before. A deep growling, like before. It was directly behind him, directly behind the tree he was sat against.

No...not now. The sun will be here soon...thats not fair... No...

The tears began to stream down his face once again. There was no escaping this time. This was it. He huddled up tightly and lowered his head. He closed his eyes and waited for the beast to strike...

After what seemed like forever, the man opened one eye, his head still facing the dirt floor. The growling has stopped. Had it gone? Did it not notice him? He still dared not move, what if it was still close? How long had he been sat, waiting for the creature to finish him off? The man lifted his head up to see if he could see anyting ahead of him.

Cold amber eyes stared back at him. Candles in the darkness, they burnt with rage, with hatred. They had been waiting. Waiting for him to look up, to see the fear in his eyes. With a shriek of horror and disbelief the man fell to one side, this really was game over. He opened his mouth to say something, but before he had the chance, the beast was above him, those eyes still burning through to the poor mans soul. The man started to feel faint, the creature had sunk its fangs into the mans upper arm. He could feel the blood draining away, his vision fading slowly.

I... Mum... Dad... help...so scared... Jess...

The beasts chilling amber eyes blurred into the darkness as the man fell into a deep sleep.

The forest was once again silent. The brilliant white of the full moon glowed cruelly over the forest.

Last edited by TheGremlin (2009-07-02 22:07:43)

Maybe it's not my weekend
But it's gonna be my year

#2 2009-07-02 22:16:09

Totalimmortal
HAHAHAHA...get it?

Re: First Ever Piece...

That's pretty damn good for a first piece.  Your descriptions of the forest & werewolf are very vivid and I could see everything perfectly, pretty much!  I kinda wish you'd elaborated more on what the man in this story looked like, but I s'pose you posted this to get help/opinions, right? tongue

Very good for your first story. big_smile

I'll come down and get you high.  Maybe sing you a lullaby.  Sing you to sleep, a sleep you'll never wake from.  Sing you to coma, so to speak.

#3 2009-07-03 01:45:04

Vindicator
Seer of the West [Moderator]
Website

No Creativity, No Imagination. tongue After reading that I think you have been lying to yourself Grem. This is actually very good, especially for a first attempt. As TML said above the descriptions are fantastic. big_smile The plot itself is cliche, as it seems very much classic werewolf, but it is extremely freshening to hear the thoughts of the victim, instead of just a description. I thoroughly enjoyed this piece. Keep up the great work. smile

"What makes a monster and what makes a man?" ~Bells of Notre Dame.

#4 2009-07-03 06:02:21

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Wow, that was better reception than I expected! Thanks a lot guys! It's really appreciated getting some constructive feedback!
I did like using the thoughts of the victim to try and show how he felt and whatnot, rather then  just trying to desribe it within the blocks of story. Plus I think that made it easier to read, spererating the work a bit more.
I did think I could of described the man a lot more, going into more depth then I did. I was actually thinking on writing a piece after about the guy surviving...waking up in hospital or something, and later on discovers that he himself is a werewolf...generic story I know but...why not? Lol. I guess if I did continue with it then I could desribe the man afterwards.

I was worried that the descriptions I used became too repetetive at point. My ocabulary for describing things probably isn't the greatest for writing stories! big_smile

I have to admit, I used to enjoy writing stories waaaay back in high school when we were set one as classwork. Since then though...I've never wrote anything that could be consider 'creative'...unless essays on Reincarnation, Paganism, Sikhism and so on count too. Lol. Maybe I am more creative than I thought, but just haven't [b]used[b/] it in a long long time.

Thanks very much TML, Vin! Your feedback has given me a bit more confidence in this sorta thing! ^_^

#5 2009-07-03 13:42:34

Larka-kun
Website

This was really descriptive.  I could actually imagine this as a real place.
You could always use more dialogue, personify the wolf a bit.

Add more to it...like a background story kind of thing.  How'd the werewolf become so?  What led him to be the way he is?  Does he hate all humans, or just certain ones?

All in all, excellent work!  I look forward to the next chapter =]

Me: Ever wonder why they don't make square cupcakes?  Seriously, cakes come in different sizes, why not cupcakes?
Alex: That might be the smartest thing you've ever said, and that's really sad....

Ever wonder why they call it life insurance?  Seriously, no one can insure you're gonna live...it should be death insurance instead.

#6 2009-07-03 16:24:11

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Thanks for the comments Larka! Excellent work? Aww...you make me blush! big_smile
Heheh, true...the dialogue was erm...non-existant.

Background story? Hm...I presumed this'd be a one off kinda thing...I guess if I ever went further I'd try and provide some background info.

Look forward to the next chapter? But I...I...err...I...Hey look over there! *runs off*

#7 2009-07-03 16:54:28

Larka-kun
Website

Aw...don't run XD

I still need to finish typing out the story I started AGES ago.

Me: Ever wonder why they don't make square cupcakes?  Seriously, cakes come in different sizes, why not cupcakes?
Alex: That might be the smartest thing you've ever said, and that's really sad....

Ever wonder why they call it life insurance?  Seriously, no one can insure you're gonna live...it should be death insurance instead.

#8 2009-07-03 19:22:41

Vindicator
Website

Larka-kun wrote:

Add more to it...like a background story kind of thing.  How'd the werewolf become so?  What led him to be the way he is?  Does he hate all humans, or just certain ones?

I actually would have to disagree with adding more to the wolf's side of the story in this instance, especially if it were to be a story that continued, as it is the questions that the reader comes up with that keeps them reading to find out what happened, or to learn more about the characters. If the author told you everything right out, then it wouldn't be that interesting. I do really like the mystery of it all, as it does appear that this werewolf may have a grudge towards the male, but at the same time because we have no knowledge of exactly how the others were treated we really can't make that assumption even though we wish too. I love writing that makes you think. big_smile

#9 2009-07-03 19:59:13

Larka-kun
Website

Vindicator wrote:

Larka-kun wrote:

I actually would have to disagree with adding more to the wolf's side of the story in this instance, especially if it were to be a story that continued, as it is the questions that the reader comes up with that keeps them reading to find out what happened, or to learn more about the characters. If the author told you everything right out, then it wouldn't be that interesting. I do really like the mystery of it all, as it does appear that this werewolf may have a grudge towards the male, but at the same time because we have no knowledge of exactly how the others were treated we really can't make that assumption even though we wish too. I love writing that makes you think. big_smile

Well, he doesn't have to add it right off on page one...but put bits and pieces here and there, to help us understand...like the Harry Potter books do.

But I agree with you, Vin.

#10 2009-07-03 20:32:45

Vindicator
Website

Oh, OK, it just sounded to me like you wanted it right in that little piece of writing. Well good to know I was wrong. smile

#11 2009-07-03 22:37:02

Illeana_NightRain
Website

Ya' know, you're pretty good. Especially if that was a first piece. Are you SURE that was a first? haha. The amount of description was amazing and you did really good at bringing the thrill into it. You'd make a very good horror writer. Well done.

"I haven't slept in what seems like a century and now I can barely breathe" -The Crow and the Butterfly, Shinedown
Apart, we are broken. Together, we are one.
Oh yeah...did I forget to mention that I'm unhealthily obsessed with bunnies?

#12 2009-07-05 14:44:46

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Hmmm...maybe I should make some continuation of it...although I'd probably continue it up to some point and then forget about it completely! I'm like that 0_o

I'm not sure about making a very good horror writer Illeana, but thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it!

#13 2009-07-07 04:38:19

Grayle
Literary Lycanthrope
Website

Riveting piece, Gremlin!

The tale hit the ground running, using a frantic escape to capture interest, and it certainly did. I appreciated how you began with a quiet forest being unsettled by outcries of terror and slaughter, only to fade into silence once again, as if it never happened. It's a rather dark vision, but spine-tingling with its simplicity.

Quite frankly, you could rewrite this as it is. It's currently a decent size for a short story, even flash fiction. You could have it end with something like the young man falling prey to the creature as did all the others in his party, no one to know what happened, no one to avenge their deaths or bring justice to the beast. The forest simply returns to its silence. But of course, the decision is up to you.

There were several conflicts in tense and spelling anomalies, but again, for a first attempt this was very well done. It could be easily cleaned up and honed to a wonderful story. I might offer a reference to Deathly Shadow by Punxnotdead to show how stories do not always need to be continued, nor do they need resolution. Yours definitely fits in with that idea, if you wish. However, if you decide to continue the story, I'm confident the tale would keep your audience just as riveted.

Good job, Gremlin!

To thy known wolf be true...

"Yay! We're Doomed!"  -- Gir

#14 2009-07-09 06:08:13

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Thanks a lot Grayle! The spelling problems were due to the word processor I use not actually having a spellcheck! So I had to use a crappy online one. smile
After re-reading it I can see the tense errors. Then again...I had to read into using tense a bit...as year 10 English knowledge only gets you so far when writing. XD

I'm sure if I write something again...whether a continuation of this or not...I'll try to double/triple check the work for the errors and such!

Thanks for all the comments everyone! It's really been helpful, I didn't think I'd get this much feedback, nor did I think everyone would like as much as you've seemed to! It's a big confidence boost, which I tend to need lol So thank you all!

#15 2009-07-09 16:42:01

AshenWolf
wolf on the run

great job! i think we all want to see more from you! big_smile
As for commentary, i think this could play out beautifully for you. i like the the wlf is evil, no explaination why, and the little description of the man and his past, only the events were described works perfevtly as a prolougue. Prolougues are meant to be mysterious, good enough description as to whats going on, emphasized character feelings, but no character description or why the situations happening, it sets you up for the story. i agree that if you decided to do so, you could use this as a perfect prolougue and right the story as he discovering hes a werewolf, like a well written account idea of american werewolf in london. ultimatly its your choice but i love this!!!

Last edited by AshenWolf (2009-07-09 17:34:56)

"It is better to be hated for what you are, than loved for what you are not."
                                                                                          -Andre Gide

#16 2009-07-10 19:57:01

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Thanks Ash! smile

I'm thinking that if I do try my hand at writing again, I'll probably try and smarten this up a little bit first. Then I can learn a bit more on how to word things and use appropriate punctuation and grammar for any potential future pieces too!

#17 2009-07-12 05:57:56

TetsuZahura
Website

Oh this is good for your first time.
I like reading^^but get little time for it T-T
I could see the goings on but due to little discription on what the man looked like and wore he seemed kinda like a blur to me. But seeing as its your first try its acceptible as most belive that too much discription is a bad thing but too little is just as. I think you should continue with this or atleast the theame of writting in this style. Although Horror can be a little tricky to underline and seem none clichy it works to give it a shot in continuing.

Only in silence the word,   Only in dark the light,   Only in dying life:
Bright the hawk's flight,    On the empty sky.
           -The Creation of Ea

#18 2009-07-12 07:09:48

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Thanks for the response Tetsu!

Hmm...with all the replies, I might just try again at some writing...well, typing anyway! Whether its a continuation of this or not I can't say, I had no ides what I was writing last time until I hit the keys to type it! big_smile

#19 2009-07-12 07:16:16

TetsuZahura
Website

Just like me then^^
But it is fun to see what you come up with. Some times it's bad and some times its awsome

-The Creation of Ea

#20 2009-07-13 01:02:33

White Wolf
Dreamer of the East [Moderator]
Website

Uhhhhhh, Grems, you sure this is your first story? Hahahaha, pretty darn good I admit my friend, you definitely should write more. I love the imagery, very vivid. And unique!

Nos totus take diversus semita ut a similis fortuna per sapientia, vires, quod fides in divinus nostrum maioribus socius.

#21 2009-07-13 01:52:10

MarkOne
Website

Gremlin, for a first story, that is very good. I liked how you used thoughts to tell the story and to convey the fear of the victim. Really puts a new angle into it, which is a plus. I hope that you plan to continue with this, maybe showing what happens after the attack, or perhaps having a new victim involved. Or maybe even come up with a new story altogether. Whatever way you go, I hope your first ever piece isn't your last. smile

There can be only one. MarkOne. smile

#22 2009-07-13 08:40:57

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

White Wolf wrote:

Uhhhhhh, Grems, you sure this is your first story? Hahahaha, pretty darn good I admit my friend, you definitely should write more. I love the imagery, very vivid. And unique!

Hahah, for the millionth time, yup, it's a first for me! lol

I've really got a confidence boost now, not in the arrogant "I'm amazing at writing" kinda boost though! I'm thinking that maybe I'm not AS bad as I thought, and really am considering giving it another go...it's just giving myself that 'push' to get round to it! smile

Thanks for the comments White and MarkOne! big_smile big_smile

#23 2009-07-13 10:13:49

TetsuZahura
Website

Hmmm... ... ...

I could help you and i'm sure others would love to give you a few hits and tips too.
I stoped with my story a long time ago when I was about 13, but then two years ago I started writing something called the Chronicles and didn't realize till later on that it acctually tied in with my original story. So I dusted it off and continued what I started so long ago.
If you WANT to write but don't know what about, I suggest reading that book I borrowed you a while back. It's full of different things even though cofusing at times it's hardly as confusing as Terry Pratchitt^^

Last edited by TetsuZahura (2009-07-13 10:15:25)

-The Creation of Ea

#24 2009-07-13 10:23:18

TheGremlin
Wolf across the Pond

Oh yeah...the book you lent me! I'd forgotten about that...shows how bad I am when it comes to reading! big_smile

#25 2009-07-14 08:37:27

TetsuZahura
Website

grrrrr
You need a 'rememball' that way you wount forget things.

-The Creation of Ea

Board footer